GLaDOS awakens

By SpaceWhere4thWallWas

"Boot up initiated" a male voice said, showing no emotions. Suddenly as if someone turned on the lights [They... More

Notes:
The awakening
Test Chambers
Aperture Science Weighted Water Bottle
Aperture Science Not-Military Grade Turrets
Slow Testing
Advanced Testing
Lethal to the cleanliness of your clothing
Coffee Addiction
1/16 of a picosecond
Potato Science
Memory Leak
Remote of Destiny
"We can save on the Janitors"-Pill
The M word (Christmas Special)
One small hop for a human, one giant task for Elyse

80 Blueprints

43 5 9
By SpaceWhere4thWallWas

After all the tests were finished, GLaDOS decided to request some time off from testing to actually work on the Portal Gun. Both the weight and the use time of the gun still need work on. And beside that... There are some side projects they wanted to work on.

A positive side effect of your brain being a multi-cored CPU is that multi-tasking gets a lot easier. GLaDOS took advantage of this by working both on the Portal Gun and the before mentioned side project. Of course, the side project concerned their memory. The moment they first got called out on this problem the feeling of this... void inside their head just hasn't gone away. Sadly, for better or for worse, the scientist hindered them from even viewing the code that makes up "GLaDOS". In other words, they are unable to just look at what's wrong with their memory. Neither can the scientists though. It's too much data for them.

But of course, there still is a way to get access to these files. But only by directly connecting to a port on their main body. The rest of the system is completely blocked out of the underlying files. So their only choice would be to copy data onto an external hard drive for viewing. Though something tells them that they shouldn't bring it up with the scientists... And even then, nothing tells them for certain they will actually be able decipher or even find the memories at all. This problem gave them virtual headaches. Or was the CPU overheating? Nope, temperature stable.

They sighed and their body began to loosely hang from the ceiling.

-

Nolan was pacing in his room. He had nothing to do with his newly gained free time. There was not much human interaction outside of testing to assure that the test subjects wouldn't get help from the other test subjects. And Nolan already read most of the interesting things provided by Aperture. He sighed and sat on his bed. Other than that, there was of course his worry for GLaDOS. It sounds a bit silly to worry about an AI, doesn't it? In the first place, he wasn't even sure if GLaDOS could have mental problems or worries! And yet, here he was.

Before he got to aperture, he probably would have gone for a run to think about his predicament, but there was hardly anywhere to run here. He tapped his fingers on the bed frame. Suddenly, there was a small 'beep'. An announcement. "I wish all test subjects a good morning. My name is Henry Peterson, supervisor of this testing track. As you all know there will be a one week break from testing. For anyone that wants to do things a break room has been opened. Please note that the break room is monitored and discussion about the testing is forbidden. Have fun!"

Nolan waited for a bit to see if there was anything else before another 'beep' was heard. Nolan thought for a bit if he should go or not. Deciding that he doesn't have anything better to do either way, so he stood up and left his room.

On the floor he already saw two other people. One middle aged man and one very young seeming man. If he didn't know that there were no under aged people in this testing area, he would've probably thought he was 16. They stood in front of the path to the elevator. "Hi there, names Dave. Yours?" the older man said. "My name is Nolan Goodwin, just call me Nolan though." Nolan waved while walking towards them. "I- I'm Peter. Nice to meet you." Peter looked awkwardly between the two others.

Once Nolan was next to them, he looked towards the elevator. Or at least that's what he thought he was looking at. Instead of the elevator there was now a slightly longer tunnel leading towards another door. "Huh... So that's where the break room is, I'm guessing." Nolan stated, gesturing the other two to follow while he walked down the hallway. The other two followed, one more hesitant than the other.

The break room was relatively large, in the middle were three couches forming a U open towards a TV on the opposite side of the door. Left and right were desks with computers installed. Nolan plopped himself on the couch. "So, what did you two do before going to apertu-"

-

GLaDOS was spinning. The headache they had before was basically completely gone. And to top it off they finished working out their side project. They created a drive capable of storing up to 500 TB. They will need a couple of them to store everything, but at least it's not like the thousands they needed before. If they work on this for a while longer, they'll probably make even better drives. Though the next problem was a bit more annoying. They needed a way to actually connect the drive to their main frame.

There was no digital connection possible whatsoever. The only way to get the data was to connect a cable. And it's not like they would lack a cable. They are lacking a way to connect the cable to their frame. It may come as a surprise, but when you are a 7-meter-tall robot frame hanging from the ceiling with no arms to speak of, it's not really easy to connect a 3 cm wide cable. GLaDOS stopped spinning for a bit to look towards the window. They hadn't seen Henry in a while. They heard the announcement about the break rooms two days ago, but besides that... Radio silence.

GLaDOS gave out a sigh. That sigh function was the best idea they had besides throwing cake at Elyse to wake them up, though that's another story. It seems like the scientist made a great of effort for only humans to be able to access the data stored in the frame. Then it hit GLaDOS like a truck someone that's about to get isekai'd. They had 10 readily available humans that could be asked to perform 'tests'

Though they would have to wait for the week to be over. It would be too suspicious if they started a random test in the middle of the break. GLaDOS started to unconsciously spin once again while working at double the normal speed.

Then, Henry opened the door. GLaDOS stopped faster than it would seem possible with the speed they had going. "Good morning, Henry." GLaDOS tried to act as if nothing happened. Luckily, Henry was facing away talking to another scientist in the hallway while opening the door. He waved and then turned towards GLaDOS "Good morning, GLaDOS, how are you doing."

"It is 6 in the afternoon, Henry, though other than that I am doing well. I have been making progress on the ASHPD" Henry nodded, "That sounds wonderful! I came to check on how you've been doing, and it seems like you are doing well. Though I'm guessing there is nothing new concerning your memory?" GLaDOS only nodded, they feared if they spoke the excitement about their progress would somehow shine through.

Henry nodded back. "Other than that, did you arrive at any problems? Do you need anything?" GLaDOS thought for a bit, and then had an idea. "There are no problems in particular, though... I have one request." Henry looked up from the screen he was checking things on. "Oh? Let's hear it."

GLaDOS took a bit to find the right words to not sound too suspicious... "Next week I am planning on testing the effect of portal towards different types of objects like CPUs, hard drives and other tech, to see if any of it gets damaged during transport, and if so to find counter measures." Henry nodded, guessing what they were getting at. "I would like the restrictions to be lessened on the items that I am able to manufacture without requesting permission first since I am going to manufacture a lot of different types of items."

Henry looked like he was weighing his options. "If you would have to give an estimate on the number of different items you want to manufacture, how many would it be." GLaDOS thought for a bit. Of course, the only thing planned for now were the drives, but to warrant the restrictions to be lifted it would at least need to be in the double digits. "For now, 40 different items are planned for testing. In the rest of the week, I am planning double that number at least."

Henry thought for a bit, then sighed "Alright, alright. I can't put my poor colleagues through that amount of checking. I am never going hear the end of that in the cafeteria. I'm going to widen your permissions to any technical components and devices with a few exceptions. I'll send you the whole list of items you are allowed to manufacture later."

GLaDOS gave a little internal 'Yes!' but kept calm on the outside. "Thank you very much, Henry. Is there anything else you came here for?" Henry shook his head "Not really. I just had a longer break than usual and wanted to see if you needed anything. Though I do have to get going now, see you later!" He said and turned towards the door. "Good luck with your projects."

"Goodbye, Henry." GLaDOS tried to wave goodbye before remembering that they did not have hands. Or any part that could be waved with. Maybe the head? GLaDOS mentally shook their head and focused back on work. They had about 80 blueprints to design before the week was over after all. They sighed.

-----

Note: Hey there, still in the hospital so not sure how well this chapter came out, wrote part of it on my phone. The other part I already had prepared before the surgery. Anyway, hope you enjoy and not sure how long to the next part since it takes ages to write on my phone. Well it takes me ages to write anywhere but it takes like a few ages more. 

Space out!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

127K 7.5K 92
"Great news! Wei WuXian has died!" "Wait- WHAT?!" "But I'm still here." The juniors (Lan Sizhui, Lan Jingyi, Jin Ling, and Ouyang Zizhen) accidentall...
1M 33.2K 78
"๐™พ๐š‘, ๐š•๐š˜๐š˜๐š” ๐šŠ๐š ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ๐š–! ๐šƒ๐š ๐š˜ ๐š•๐š’๐š๐š๐š•๐šŽ ๐š—๐šž๐š–๐š‹๐šŽ๐š› ๐š๐š’๐šŸ๐šŽ๐šœ! ๐™ธ๐š'๐šœ ๐š•๐š’๐š”๐šŽ ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ๐šข'๐š›๐šŽ...๐š๐š˜๐š™๐š™๐šŽ๐š•๐šรค๐š—๐š๐šŽ๐š›๐šœ ๐š˜๐š ๐šŽ๐šŠ๐šŒ๐š‘...
2M 57.5K 95
On the twelfth hour of October 1st, 1989, 43 women gave birth. It was unusual as none of them had been pregnant since the first day they started. Sir...
1.5M 26.1K 53
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...