Enchanted Shores

By Hotmesschild

Madison and her team are assigned to investigate a newly discovered island named Sveva. Their journey takes a... More

The Unexpected
The Attack
The Jungle Man
The Day
The introduction
The adventure
The Consequences
The Precarious situation
The Fear-Asai
The Tribe

The Arrival

51 2 1
By Hotmesschild

         "Hello, my name is Madison Coleman. Today is March fifteenth, year twenty-twenty-two. I am here with Dr. Lan, Mrs. Sinclair Brown, Mr. John Park and glaring glaring Derrek. He is glaring heavily at me, and I haven't the clue why-"

"Would you cut that thing off Madison, this is nothing to document about." Derrek tried to grab my phone, reaching past Dr. Lan's face to get to me. He was sitting on the far left side of the boat, and I was sitting in the far front on the right side.

I laugh and move my hand away, scooting backward on the Moter boat, creating more distance. "Derrek seems to be a bit agitated on our adventure." I give him a teasing smile.

We were far enough and I knew he wasn't about to get up and give chase. We were on a Moter boat after all and the waves were bouncing the boat quite a lot. He was not about to get up and soon he gave up trying to reach me and sat back down. His Brown curls bounced in unison with the boat. And I heard him mumble under his breath, something about me acting childish.

Which I was not. This was my first time exploring a new island. An island thats not even charted on any of our maps.
Back in New York, Mr. Soon, head of Geography Corp, and our boss tasked us to learn about this new island. See if it had any new findings, like plants, fruits, or any kind of animals. It was said that some Fishermen found it as they were exploring the Atlantic Ocean, however, they did not journey to it. 'Something about it that gave off bad vibes.'

Which baffled me, why not investigate such a new place? I hold in my squeal, as I imagine the possibility that are on the island. What if we made such an amazing discovery that it cured a disease that never had a cure?

"Would you stop grinning so wide? You look like a crazy person," Derrek piped in, ruining my daydreaming.

I sighed into my phone. "Derrek is a very serious guy, I think it's because he does not know How. To. Have. Fun. Maybe there's a cure for his boringness on the Island."

"Madison, we aren't going to find anything new or different. I've ventured on tons of Islands and the only thing different about them is what types of fruits grow on their trees," He scoffed.

I would've said a smart remark but I had nothing to say, it's true Derrek has more experience when it comes to venturing to new places. He's only in his late twenties yet has seen more of the world than I have. He takes pictures of new places and sends them to Geography Corp. I've only journaled popular tourist attractions and gone inside places that haven't been occupied in a while.

"Don't shut her down so quickly Derrek. This Island is different from the others, I can feel it. There's something odd about it not being found in eons. I mean whenever Geography Corp does find an Island it usually has already been found, just not explored thoroughly. Yet this Island...What was it called again? Oh! Yes right, Sveva. Has never been discovered, until now that is." Mrs Sinclair came to my rescue as she wrote in her journal.

Mrs. Sinclair is a thirty-three-year-old historian woman. She is famously known for finding a mysterious mummy all the way in Europe a few years back. She's here with us now, to see if there's anything ancient on the Island. If so she can translate it in a heart beat.

She is a beautiful lady and only about nine years older than myself. She is from Great Britin and has a thick accent that gives it away. Her white skin glowed perfectly in the sun and her strawberry blonde hair swayed gently against the wind. She had blue sophisticated eyes and a body that screamed goddess.
I won't lie, she's kinda my idol.

I glanced over at Dr. Lan. His brows were crinkled as he was trying so hard to read his science book. Yes, He is the scientist in the group. When we set up camp, I'm sure he'll start studying the minerals of the Island and plants right away with his trusty microscope. I laugh a little at the thought of him bringing his own solar outlet. That's what's hes famous for. He invented a solar panel outlet so that if a person were outside in the blazing sun and had no outlet nearby, they could use the solar panel outlet that absorbs the sun's energy to power whatever device they are on. It's pretty cool.

He is an African man whose body doesn't give the age, late fifties. It gave bodybuilder. His grey T-shirt molded his muscles so anyone could see how hard that man went in the gym, he also wore long Jean shorts and brown flip-flops.

At first, when I heard a scientist was joining our group, I thought he was going to wear a white trench coat and a pair of glasses, however, I was completely wrong, which makes sense because it was blazing hot right now, and even though the boat was splashing some water droplets on our faces it wasn't enough to stop us sweating.

Derrek worked in the same building and office as me. He was brought along to keep an eye on me. Mr. Soon said he doesn't want any chance of an accident to occur, especially with a new place such as this. So he brought Derrek who's a higher rank than I. Which is beyond me because all that man does is take pictures. I think he got promoted because of his looks. He had a copper tan and a nice body. I think at least an six pack and those natural curls...
I slowly shake my head and look at our guide.

Last but not least was John Park. He was the boater and paramedic of the group. To me, he was the second most valued person in the group. I was the first...obviously. Without him we wouldn't be able to head to this Island, we especially needed him to take us back to the docking.
We had to hire him, well Mr. Soon did. He couldn't find anyone who was more willing and experienced like John.

I watched him steer the boat, he did it with such ease. Not phasing or breaking his concentration, even after we hit so many bumps.
He was the most normal-looking guy in the group. John was twenty-six and had a rounder body. He had brown short hair and brown eyes. He was in a blue tropical-looking shirt with shorts as well as sandals.

I Liked him. He was friendlier than frowny Derrek. Plus I wanted to be on his good side. You never know when you might scrap your leg and need a doctor who can patch you right up.

"End log." I finally say in my voice memo. I tapped the red button ending just one of the many more memos to come.

"Finally," Derrek grumbled as he stretched, putting his head behind his hands, and crossed his legs.

Derrek was a fine man, I'd give him that. He had a face that looked like it could be a male actors. With his light green-bluish eyes that blended gorgeously with the ocean. Thick eyebrows that would make any girl blush.

I twist my lips in a frown when I remember how smitten I was with him when I was a new intern, I had a major crush on him, but it only lasted two days before I realized what a grouch he was.

I stuffed my phone inside my backpack and laid my body back. Listening to the waves.

I wonder what we will find.

***

"Hey! Would you wake up!?"

I peeled open my eyes and was met with a beautiful clear blue sky. Not a cloud in sight. And then a dark heavy shadow blocked my view, it was glaring Derrek.
I didn't even notice I had fallen asleep. "Whats going on grouch?" I slurrly grumbled.

"What's going on is that we've made it to the Island, and you are lying on my luggage," He said as he bent down.

Now that I was up, I realized I was lying on my back and on something hard. I raised my body up and turned my head to whatever I was lying on.
It was Derrek's brown duffle bag. I must've unconsciously laid on it.

"What do you have in that thing? Rocks?" I grimaced.

He frowned not amused by me at all. "Cameras, food and clothes," He snatched his bag.

I watched him walk away and extend his leg out to the sandy beach.

Wait a minute? He said we made it! I quickly grabbed my duffle bag and satchel and hopped off the boat. My sandals instantly started getting grains of sand, but I didn't care. Yesterday, It had taken us ten hours to fly to a place near here and today, it took us four hours to get here by boat. I was ecstatic.
I felt like Rapunzel when she touched grass for the first time. Even though I've felt sand before.

"We're heereee!" I scream.

"Well aren't you in a happy mood." Mrs. Sinclair watched me with a smirk. She had gotten comfortable herself. She had her peach flannel tied around her waist and her hair into a ponytail.

I looked past her and into the tropical forest beyond us. The trees were tall, maybe even taller than a normal coconut tree. All the trees covered the Island yonder of us, so the only way to explore it would be going through it. Other than that there wasn't anything outstanding in sight.
"Have you looked around yet!? Whats here? Whats new?"

Mrs. Sinclair sighed, "Nothing yet, but don't you take that as a chance to go sneaking around this place, we all need to stick together."
I pout a little. "I'm not a child."

Mrs. Sinclair was about to say something but then Derrek peeked over from behind her. "Sometimes I wonder."
Does he always have to say something? My expression deepens. "No one was talking to you!" I put my bag on my shoulder and walked past him before he could say another snarky remark.

I spotted John. He was setting up a bright orange tent, but from how things were going...he wasn't doing so well.
I walk over to him. "Need some help?"

He loudly groaned, "I can sail across the sea, stitch a wound, yet I cannot set up a simple tent."
I smile at him. "Thats ok, I've went camping before, I can help you."

In the past my family and I would go camping. We only did it in the summers though and never more than two days. We stopped when I became a teen though, because my little sister, Jade was born.

After a few hours had passed, we were both done setting up the tents. There were four in total and all looked the same. Once we told the group we were finished, Dr. Lan grabbed his stuff and headed into his tent in a blur. Everyone else went to their own as well.

I chose the one in the middle. When I was inside, I first set my bags down and started to unpack. I took out my purple sleeping back and put in on the right side of the tent. Then I pulled out my water bottle and hiking shoes with some socks.

I was just tying up my last shoelace when John said we were about to all meet up in two minutes.

Once everyone was settled we all met near the boat.

"Ok, today we are only looking around a little, just far enough that you still see the shore." Mrs. Sinclair stated with a serious face. I noticed her eyes glance at me, and every ones else eye followed.

I put up my hands defensively. "Guys I might be the youngest and the only one who has a sense of adventure, but I ain't the dumbest...I give that title to Derrek."
Derrek's head slowly cocked to the side and he gave me a 'what did you say?' face. I just pretended I didn't see his reaction.

Sinclair continued, "OK we'll all be paired in two. I will go with Madison and Derrek and Dr. Lan will be with each other."

I turned to John who seemed unphased by Mrs. Sinclair leaving him out. "John?"

His head quickly went to the sound of my voice. "Ah, Don't worry Madison I'm not good in the wilderness and since I'm the only one that can take you guys home, I'd rather avoid unnecessary danger."

I guess that makes sense. "Oh right."

"Alright, as much as I would love to stand here and chat with you all, I must get started on researching. We've already spent too long lollygagging."

Dr. Lans's voice nearly gave me a heart attack. It was so deep that I swear I felt my earlobe vibrate. His voice sounded like one of those car commercial men, who voice over how great a truck is.

I forgot how deep his voice is. I met him at the airport but he didn't really talk much, just nodded or walked away from an unwarranted conversation. He rarely ever says a word.

Me and Mrs. Sinclair decided to head to the east side of the Island, the men took the West Side. When we ventured out I was hit with utter disappointment. We were finding nothing new. I could tell Mrs. Sinclair was also getting a bit disappointed as well. I know she was hoping for some cool inscriptions to marked up on a tree or something. Yet we found absolutely nothing and the sky was turning afternoon. We had no choice but to head back.

When we met up back with the boys, Dr. Lan showed us a peculiar rock. It was shiny and blue. Nothing I'd ever seen before, I couldn't help but like it, it was very pretty. Unfortunately for it though, Dr. Lan said he'd crack it open to see what was inside. Derrek showed Mrs. Sinclair pictures of rare birds on his Camera. I had too look over her shoulder, because Derrek made it obvious he didn't want me to see. There was a toucan-looking one called Collard Aracari and a Green Macaw. He said they were very rare nowadays.

When they asked what we found, we cringed away in unison, not looking at the boy's faces. It's so Ironic. We both were excited to see what this island had to offer, yet we both came up with nothing.

"Wow, you really are useless," Derrek looked at me with so much condescension that I wanted to give him a right hook then and there.
"It seemed there was nothing on the east side shore. So Dr. Lan how about we go back on that side and look further? We only have another chance tomorrow to look around this Island, and I do not feel like wasting an opportunity."

I stopped sulking and quickly looked at them both. "Wait, why just you two?"

"We are just swapping partners is all. I will be with Dr. Lan, and you will be with Derrek."
"What!" We both said in unison.

Dr Lan snapped his fingers at the two of us arguing at each other. "Act professional!"

His deep voice not only stopped me in mid-sentence but also in Derrek. We backed away from each other like two little kids getting in trouble with their father.
"You guys are heading back?"

John was walking to us. He had a worried expression that made me want to hug him and say it'll be alright. So I walked over to him first.
I sighed, "Yes we are. We didn't find much in our first group so Mrs. Sinclair is forcing us to venture out again." I lean into his ear and cover my mouth. "I'm stuck with sour puss."

His lips turned up into a half smile before his eyebrows furrowed again. "But, it's getting dark?"

I place my hand on my hip. "Only a little bit. It's still early afternoon. Here let me see your watch."

He gave me his wrist without hesitation. I looked at his bulky watch and set a timer on it. "I'll be back...lets say three hours. If I'm not back by then something probably ate me."

His face paled.

I giggled and softly nudged him, "I'm just kidding, but now you know when we'll be back."

He smiled and nodded, "Thanks, I know it might seem childish."

I slowly shake my head, "I get it, you're just looking out for us."

"Hey! Come on, Before I leave you!" Derrek hollered. He was already on the other side, with his camera.

I said bye to John, grabbed my phone from my bag, and ran to Derrek.

When we were out on the west side, it had everything that they boys showed us. There were more birds on this side and pretty-looking rocks. But I needed to discover something of my own. Something worthwhile. I still documented it on my phone though. Mostly pointing out everything Derrek did, I could tell it was starting to annoy him.

"Derrek takes another picture of the same-looking bird a fifth time." I slowly said with a grin.

He slowly turned his head at me with an annoyed expression. "Don't you have something better to do?"

I put my finger to my chin and pretended to think about it. He groaned and started to continue to walk, swiping away the bushes that were in his way. I hum to myself and follow him.

We were about an hour into our search when I felt something tap against my shoe. "Huh?" I press the stop button on my phone and bend down, touching the grass. Derrek noticed me come to a halt.

"What's wrong?"

My brow raised. Was grumpy Derrek actually worried. I guess my face explained it all because he got all defensive and folded his arms.
"I just don't want you to slow me down."

I roll my eyes and start digging my hand into whatever I am feeling. When my hand made contact with it felt smooth. Whatever Item I had was small and had ridges and humps on it. I slowly pull it out.

"A necklace?" My eyes widen.

It was a golden necklace, that looked old and seen better days. There was a small circle pendant that was bent and misshaped hanging from it.
"D-do you know what this means!" I say rising up and starting to go up and down with my feet.

"People have been-"

I interrupt him, "People have been here!"

He clicked his tongue at my interruption but didn't argue. He instead softly took it out of my hands and raised it up into the purple-to-orange sky. "We should take this back to Mrs. Sinclair, she'll know if this is recent or old."

I nodded and snatched it back. "See, I'm not useless."

He was already walking back to the way we went. "Hey!" I yelled.

I was about to speed walk after him when I heard a ruffling sound in the bushes behind me. There were huge bunches of Bushes when I turned around.
Could it have been my imagination? I was sure I heard something. Yet when I walked closer to it, none of them made a sound.

"You need to stop, stopping. Especially after not telling me you did," Derrek said.

I bent down and leaned my head, "I-I think there's an animal in the bushes?"

"And?"

I pushed my lips up, "What if it's a new creature?"

That caught his interest, but he didn't budge. "I don't hear anything."

I warmly smile at the Bush and extend my hand to the one that I think caused the noise. I started making small animal noises as if I were calling on a cute puppy. "Come on don't be scared."

I heard a stick snap in the bush.

My fingertips graze a leaf. "We won't hurt you."

The Bush was quiet again, but I knew it wasn't unoccupied. I knew there was something still inside. I was about to push the bush apart with both my hands.
"Everyone come back to the base, I repeat everyone go back to the base."

I freeze and slowly retract my hands from the Bush. "God?"

Derrek pulled out a large walkie-talkie and quickly raised it to his face. "Alright, we are heading back now."
"We have walkie-talkies?" I mumble while getting up, dusting the dirt off my knees.

"Of course we do. We need a way to communicate out here. I don't know if you noticed, but we have no service out here."

Oh right.

Derrek pushed his hair back as if he was relieved. "It's a good thing too because I can't stand another second out here. I think I felt a mosquito bite me."
I wiggle my wrist, "Poor baby."

His way of responding to my behavior was to grab me by the wrist. I just let him take me, I didn't feel like protesting all the way back, and I guessed he did not want to take a chance if I wandered off or got lost. I take my last opportunity to glance at the Bush one last time.

The Bush swayed. As if whatever was in there, suddenly ran off.

Whatever it was, it's gone now.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

386 37 20
Drea has had a lot of things happen in her life, some good some bad..... Mostly bad. She has a total of four people she cares about. Her brother, her...
2.9K 104 26
In the heart of the native forest, six high school students find themselves abandoned during a seemingly ordinary field trip. Stranded and desperate...
120 1 1
A group of children wakes up one by one in a mysterious and very dangerous place, with trees, animals, and plants never seen before. After an arduous...
464 7 26
One day Talia wakes to find herself on an island with no idea who she is or where she came from. However, this is no ordinary island. On it lurk mons...