Not Giving Into Fate

By a-girl-who-wishes

I was the daughter of Duke Solon, I thought I was the last child. My elder brother is following in my father'... More

1. Necklace of Rope and Needles
2. Morning Plans
3- Awkward Talks
4- Missing Mage
5- An Unlikely Friend
6- A Lady in the Park
7- Family acting like a family
8- Meeting with the Masters
9- Book Club Initiation
10- The Trash Man Makes a Visit
11- The Memory Orb
12- Long Meetings
13- Dinner and Trial Plans
14. Day of the trial, part 1
15- Day of the Trial, part 2
16- Execution
17- Family Dinners
18- The Morning After
19- The Hunting Tournament
20-Hunting Tournament 2
21- The Grand Sorcerer
22- Rides with the Grand Sorcerer
23- A Surprising Sibling Brunch
24- The Substitute
25- The Opening of Doors
26- Tour of the Tower
27- The break- in
28- Night at the Opera
29- The First Day of Classes
30- Breaking His Curse
31- The Pope and his teas
32- The Bulnan Chief
34- The Bastard's Reveal

33- My Coming of Age

320 17 2
By a-girl-who-wishes

I take a deep breath as I look at the mirror. I ignore the attendants rushing around me. I lightly touch my dress, amazed by the work of the royal dressmaker himself. He wipes a tear as he stops fluffing my dress and looks up at me, kneeling on one knee.

The white dress is gorgeous, the bodice is tight and hugs my chest in a flattering way which keeps my innocence but leaves room to the imagination. The dress itself has many layers which looks like petals of a pale pink rose. While it is customary for a woman to wear white, the dressmaker dyed it a gorgeous shade of ivory to compliment my already white hair. I move and the dress shifts in a beautiful way, acting like petals dancing in the wind.

"You've made the most beautiful dress," I gasp and thank the man. He grabs my hand, shaking his head and tells me I'm the reason why this dress looks amazing. I look at the beautiful pearl head piece that pins my hair to one side.

My closest maid comes to me and I see a necklace shaped jewelry box. I sigh and allow her to put the necklace the Prince has bought for me. I see the choker, a thick collar that holds heavy pearls. I take a sharp inhale as it's pressed around my neck. I close my eyes and remind myself that I am alive and this isn't my rope of death.

I open my eyes as I hear a knock on the door. It's time. I nod my head and turn to face the Prince who enters the room. I am in the royal palace, my coming of age held in the Pearl Palace, a palace dedicated to the Queen of the nation. This was intentionally done to show off our betrothal and the relationship between the two families.

"How do I look?" I ask, putting on a show in front of the attendants who coo on how pretty I am. I show off the dress, looking at the dressmaker with a smile.

"Why did you make her look so pale?" He asks the dressmaker, walking towards us. My smile drops, not surprised by his attitude. I roll my eyes and walk to the Prince.

"We should leave." I say and then look at the dressmaker who looks shocked and somewhat angry by what the Prince said of his designs. "Thank you for all of your work."

The dressmaker bows to the both of us. Prince Ivan grabs my hand, wrapping it around his arm and leads me out of the room. The hallway is deserted, all the attendants are currently working in the ball below us. The sun is low, about to set which means the party is officially starting.

We walk silently, no words spoken between us. There isn't anything for us to say to each other. We are not happy with each other, but we must be cordial. I know he is only doing this because the King is forcing him. We make it down to the main hallway and I see we are about to enter through the doors where my destiny will officially change.

I take a deep breath, standing straight and wiping my face of anxiety. The doors open and we are announced to the entire hall. We walk forward and the crowd parts for us, letting us walk towards the King and the Queen.

I look around the room, seeing the lights shine in a magical way thanks to the work of the Elemental Master. I watch the room and smile at all of those I know- fellow Masters, new friends and my family. I try to find Catherina, but I don't find her amid the crowd.

We pause in front of the older King and Queen and let go of each other. Ivan drops to a knee while I do a deep curtsy. We both bow our heads to show the upmost respect for our rulers. The King tells us to rise. I look up and see he has a stretched hand, telling us to walk up the steps. Ivan follows his father's wordless demand and I copy him.

I grab the King's hand and he embraces me, a display that he approves of me, a warning to the nobles who don't respect me.  I smile and hug him back, listening to him tell me I look beautiful tonight. I thank him and the Queen hugs me next. She gives me a fake smile and a fake compliment, but I thank her nonetheless.

Ivan takes my hand and I follow him to the side where the King makes an announcement. Usually the father or man of the house makes a speech about the lady who has just turned of age. However, since my future father- in- law is the King, he speaks of me. I listen to the generic speech, hearing no special praise. I keep the smile on my face, staring into the crowd.

In the back corner, I find a young woman who has pink hair. She hides behind her uncle, but I can recognize her immediately. I keep my eyes moving, pretending I do not recognize the devil herself. I take a deep breath, hearing the King say he will move the speeches to the end of the party.

The crowd murmurs amongst themselves. It's typical for the speeches to be presented in the beginning, but this is when Catherina makes herself known. I'd rather for her to speak at the end of the party so I can save myself the humiliation the rest of the night. I've asked the King for that request, and I'm happy to hear he obliged.

Once his speech is done, the music starts and it's my cue to start the first dance with Ivan. He does his Princely duty by dancing with me. He initiates properly and holds me as he should. I take notice how he's behaving cordially. I let him move me around, remembering how he feared his father before the King had passed away.

I twirl, and try to think of a way to get closer to the King. I look over the Prince's shoulder as he holds me tight. He doesn't whisper, a young couple would normally whisper sweet nothings to each other. However, we don't like each other. I force a smile on my face, cheeks burning at the use.

I scan the crowd with a bored gaze and I make eye contact with the other Prince. Prince Adrian is standing to the side next to Duke Driscol. I feel his burning gaze and instead look at the Duke who has surprisingly come. He normally refuses every invitation. He has his dark glasses on, but I can still tell we are making eye contact. I swallow, desperately wanting to know how Sir Pine is doing.

However, the song ends and the Prince turns me around for a final spin.

I quickly break free of his grasp, thankful that I no longer have to be near him for the rest of the night. We've done our duties and he may do whatever he wants. I take a step back and turn, freezing at the man who extends his hand toward me, an invitation for a dance.

I look at my Father, a tall man with matching white hair, a signal that we are bonded. His green eyes look me up and down before he looks at his own hand. I do what any daughter would do and dance with him. The music starts once again and other couples join us on the dance floor. I follow my Father's lead, surprised he knows how to dance. I know he never dance with our mother, so there could have only been one person he danced with.

I shake that thought from my head and steal a quick look at my Father. He looks more refreshed now that Elric is helping him run the house. Elric is learning of his duties to the house, trying to help our Father which means he wants to take over soon, an accomplishment he didn't pursue in the past. We don't speak and I stop dancing when I see Elric.

He interrupts us, asking for a dance and my father quickly gives me away. I don't mind, dancing with Elric with a true smile on my face. He speaks to me first, telling me I look pretty and that I deserved this celebration.

"Everything will happen tonight," Elric whispers in my ear. I nod my head, knowing his plan will come to fruition today.

Usually after a big party, people tend to continue the festivities later in the night. We are betting on people going to the secret auction where the party will be. The traps have been laid, we just need to get Duke Dolan there.

I nod my head. "Do you need anything from me? Any help?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "No, enjoy your birthday. You deserve it."

"Brother... may I ask for something?"

Elric spins me around and nods. "What may you need? I've already had a gift picked out."

"After my party and when you leave, I was hoping you could give me the weekend to have full control of the house." I say boldly. While I am the daughter of the Duke and I control the servants, there are some things I cannot do because I am a woman. It's unfair, but that's the law against us. But, in moments of need, the Lady of the House can assume full control.

"Why?" Elric asks.

"After my party, you'll be busy with the plan and dealing with the aftermath.... If something comes up, an issue occurs, I don't want to bother you when I can do it. I'll return the ring when you ask for it." I say.

I want it because of the bastard child that will make herself known tonight. Last year, my father left Elric, as the one with the authority to deal with her and he let her get away with a lot of things. However, if he gives me his power for now, I can control her before it's too late. I can place her in a room far away, limit her interaction with the help and my father. I can start to change my fate.

Elric nods. "Of course, it makes sense. I will speak to our butler who should be around here. If you need any help, reach out to him."

I smile and thank him as he hands me the ring off his finger. It's the family ring, a signal of who runs the house. Our father owns the true ring, but this is a ring to show the next heir. I tell him I'll return it to him whenever he asks and he nods and compliments me, changing the conversation.

Our dance finishes and I pause when I see the Bulnan Chief offer his hand. He greets my brother who greets him back with a polite nod. Elric guides my hand to the Chief's and steps away. The Chief initiates the dance and I hold him accordingly.

"Happy birthday," he smiles down at me. I place a smile on my lips, looking around the room and seeing the commotion start.

"Thank you. I take it the meeting with the King went well?" After last night, there was an impromptu meeting with all the Masters. No one really dissented in working with the Bulnan chief. We are scientists, and if there's new information to learn, we scientists want to learn it all. Milo had received a letter from the Pope that his council had also agreed, so the three of them met with the King in the early morning.

Milo had sent me a letter after his meeting, telling me of the good news. While there are members that make up Parliament, there are a few strong individuals who make up the Imperial Council who handle big decisions, such as putting a person in Parliament. There are a few governmental heads, such as agriculture, treasurer, and a few more names I don't care to remember. I never interacted with them in the past. The Captains of the armies are also on the Imperial council, but seeing as Duke Stiling was in custody, the meeting had gone on without him.

All the members were interested in seeing what will happen when they let a Bulnan Chief in Parliament. Milo and I think they they were more interested in the weaponry that can be used, weaponry to match the strength of a dragon. I know there will be an inevitable war that had many deaths. Hopefully, many lives will be saved with this new development.

"Yes," The Chief smiles. "You are looking at a man who has a seat in Parliament. You've taken care of one half of your contract."

I nod, not showing the audience who are eagerly watching how the foreigner interacts with me. "How are you enjoying the party?" I ask.

"It's been nice introducing myself to the interested nobles." The Chief hums before twirling me. I gasp, the twirl unexpected but he catches me without making me look like a fool.

"I-"

He pulls me forward so our chests touch. "Keep up the good work. All we need to do is get me a land large enough for my people to stay in."

"I'm sure we will manage to do it soon." I smile, watching the man calculate different scenarios in his head before taking a step back.

"I shall let you go for now. Have a good rest of your day."

We exchange pleasant goodbyes before parting ways. I walk around and I spot the young ladies I've befriended. I smile at them as I approach, conversation quickly flows on how pretty my dress is, how extravagant this forgotten hall is, how lucky I am and so on. I nod my head, answering any questions and making small talk.

I turn to Horla, smooth conversation flows between us and it feels like a genuine friendship will bloom. I look at the young girl, happy to see her alive and know her well.

I watch as the men who are engaged or soon- to- be- engaged embrace their women and congratulate me. It's clear they want to have a formal relationship with me, a fact I've picked on because they ask of my brother and the Prince and when it is best to meet with them. I shake my head, answering truthfully that I do not know but that I will put in a good word.

As I watch the conversation flow around me, I catch Lady Warren whispering feverishly with her drunken fiancé. It's too early for a man to be as drunk as he is now, and I can practically hear her scowl at his performance. I smile, knowing the plan will happen perfectly tonight, he will undoubtedly head to the casino.

I excuse myself, finally moving around to thank the guests for coming. I speak with Masters in the Academy, thanking them for coming and we fall in a pleasant conversation as the wine passes through us.

Milo stands next to me, watching as Master Cappum dances inappropriately which incites a round of laughter from us. I look around the room and spot the bastard harlot standing in a corner, watching me. I quickly keep on scanning the room, not letting it show that I know who she is.

I grab Milo's sleeve, pulling it, trying to tell him that we need to talk. He understands my motion, quickly grabbing my hand and guides me away from the group to door that leads to the balcony. I sip my wine as he looks around casually. I hide my shaky hands as best as I can. We walk away from the door to where the rail is. I set my glass down and take a deep breath of the night air, the cold air calming me down instantly.

"What's wrong? Is the plan still happening?" Milo whispers, crouching down to be closer to me. He forces eye contact with me and I take a deep breath.

I nod my head, telling him "Yes," I croak out. "It's just that I-I saw her. She's here... I don't know when-"

"Shh... don't worry. I'm here for you any time of the day." Milo smiles at me and pushes a strand of hair out of my face. "Remember, stay strong. I'll stop by tomorrow-"

"No," I shake my head. "My brother will be officially asking for your help with the cursed item. You don't need to stay with me." I tell him. I want to say more, ask for more encouragement or bravery, but that is something I have to do, he can't help me with that.

"Alright, but Giselle... I will stop everything for you. I've brought you back, and you will stay here." He smiles and gestures to the crowd. "This is where you belong. You will not be alone anymore. I've brought you a gift."

I watch as Milo reaches into his pocket and takes out a small jewelry box. I smile, thanking him and opening the box. I freeze when I see the bracelet. It's a charm bracelet, with teardrop shaped aquamarine jewels attached to it. I smile and thank him.

"Milo... it's beautiful." I set the box down and ask him to put it on me.

He grabs the ends and looks at me. "I want you to know, I've enchanted it. Before I put it on, I must warn you that you cannot take it off. Each of these jewels," he shows me the charms. "Can be ripped off only by you. Once one is destroyed, I will be by your side. I will immediately come to your defense and I will help you. I know you cannot use your power in your duchy, but you can use me."

I can't speak, my throat tightening and see he reaches forward to wipe a tear I didn't know I had. "Milo... please put it on me. I- I'm incredibly grateful you are by my side. I hope to never use it, but I am thankful to have it." Milo tightens the bracelet around my wrist and I take a moment to look at it.

A chill hits me and I ask to be taken back inside. He obliges, wrapping my arm around his and he leads me back inside. He eases my worries with a joke, letting me forget of that woman in the room. We pass through the doors, but we have not left the wall. I flag down a waiter, exchanging my empty glass with a new one.

A sound of a throat being cleared separates my glass from my mouth. I turn and I look to see the Second Prince standing alongside Duke Driscol. I smile at them, thanking them for attending my party, but internally wondering why they've come to the terrace.

I look at the two men. They look great in their suits. I see that the Prince has a traditional suit, while the Duke has a formal Officer uniform that shows his army's colors and his rank which is the highest position. Prince Adrian looks radiant, the soft glow of the candlelight shines his already golden hair. The Duke still has his glasses on which hides a big part of his scar.

"It's always a pleasure to be with you." Prince Adrian bravely steps forward. He crosses an arm, and starts to lean forward, but Milo quickly stops him, stepping forward, grabbing his arm and forcing him upright. Prince Adrian made the common bow, a nonverbal cue that he was about to ask me for a dance. I look around the party, agitated as the number of eyes on us grows.

Milo pulls the Prince to a stand, the Duke has stepped in to stop Milo. As a Prince, no one should really be able to touch him.

"Get up." Milo scowls.

"Let go of me."

"Grand Sorcerer, let him go." Driscol commands.

"I didn't do anything wrong. I was just going to ask-"

"We all know what you were about to ask," Milo scoffs and throws him to the Duke who catches him. "Look at where you are."

"Gentlemen," I step forward, trying to ease the tension. "We are at my coming- of- age party where-"

"Where I can ask you to dance, and you're obliged to dance with me." Prince Adrian goes to bow, but the Duke holds him upright, his jaw clenched at the childish behavior. The Prince is making a fool out of the both of us and he needs to stop.

"This is not my party, but a party hosted by your father to show off my engagement to your brother, the Crown Prince. I cannot be seen dancing with you when you have officially declared your fight to the throne." I remind him the crucial detail.

"I haven't announced it yes. Besides, this is the second time you've said no to me." The Prince reminds me.

"She's your Master," Milo speaks for me. "Listen to what she says. Besides everyone knows why you've returned to the Capitol. They all know that you intend to fight for the throne."

Milo offers me his arm and I take his elbow. I nod my head to the two men and turn to leave the brooding Prince and the silent Duke.

"Master Solon," I look over my shoulder, stopping to see that the Duke has taken a few steps towards me without his cousin. "I need to speak with you, it's regarding... my knight."

I nod my head, saying goodbye to Milo and I lead the Duke back onto the terrace. I ignore the Prince, purposefully avoiding eye contact so that he knows he cannot try to control his Master. I wave my hand behind me as we pass through the doors. The doors shut and lock, the curtains close and I look to see he's leaning on the railing of the balcony.

"Duke Driscol," I greet him as I step forward. "Please forgive me for how I've treated the Second Prince. He... he's just-"

"You don't have to apologize. In fact, I should be the one apologizing." He looks at me and I catch the side of his face with the bad scar. "He's been in my domain this entire time and I should have taught him properly in social etiquette. He should understand that just because you want something doesn't mean you can act on it. I apologize."

I shake my head, stepping closer to him. "No, I cannot accept your apology. In fact, I should be apologizing to you for a lifetime."

"Wh-"

"I almost killed Sir Pine!" I turn away from him, rubbing my arm, warming myself against the cold. "That night I promised you that I had a cure, that I found a way to save him. I didn't know he had black magic. This changes everything. I waited to see you, to explain it all but they said you were gone and then I saw you and-"

"Shh..." the Duke steps forward and I feel his body temperature. "Did you know he had black magic?"

"No, but I should have-"

"It was an accident. We all make mistakes." He leans on the railing and looks down at me.

"I don't make mistakes." I shake my head. "Not to the point where someone could have died. I- I like Sir Pine. I now consider him a friend of sorts and I don't want to kill a friend. I-"

"Shh... you're overreacting." The Duke grabs my shoulders and forces me to look at him. "Sir Pine is stable. With the potions you gave him, he has woken up and now he's walking around. He can move, he can eat and he's alive waiting for you to properly cure him."

I look at the man in shock. "You're still going to let me heal him?"

"Who else?" He asks. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out an envelope. "He couldn't come, but he wrote you a letter. Master Solon, happy birthday and I hope you enjoy the rest of your night."

I grab the letter he hands to me and I see him walk away. I quickly grab his wrist to prevent him from leaving. "I- I hate to ask, but my brother's plan?'

"We will still follow it, I will lend my support whenever you two need it. Do not worry." He bows his head and leaves the terrace. I quickly look down at the letter, reading it to see that Sir Pine is indeed well. He thanks me for trying and saving his life when he almost died. He says he will see me soon and ends it with a happy birthday.

The door to the terrace opens and I see a palace attendant. He tells me it's time for the toast. I take a deep breath, knowing what will come. I smile, heading to the party to meet the bastard.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 51 15
Formerly, "I Took In A Weakened Goddess, And Now I've Been Reincarnated In A New World" --- At that moment, I couldn't get myself to pull the trigger...
129K 3.1K 27
In my life it was always, "You're the older sister be more mature." or, "Your sister is sick, you have to take care of her!" When it was my graduati...
5.7M 303K 125
Falling into the fiery hell she created must've been the perfect way for her to die. The other woman would then become the heroine that saved the tow...
69 20 30
Nothing in my life had ever made sense. They told me it was normal, I'd grow into who I was supposed to be, that things would get better; here I am n...