in the middle of the chaos |...

By alexspotatoes

- in the middle of the chaos, there was you. also available on ao3! SEASON 1 [ COMPLETED ] SEASON 2 [ CO... More

introduction
playlist
2 | in the middle of balancing
3 | in the middle of flying
4 | in the middle of the forest
5 | in the middle of the kidnapping
6 | in the middle of the letter
7 | in the middle of the starry sky
8 | in the middle of their youth
9 | in the middle of home
10 | in the middle of the shop
11 | in the middle of the blizzard
12 | in the middle of the hand-to-hand training
13 | in the middle of the graduation
14 | in the middle of the reappearance of the colossal titan
15 | in the middle of the despair
16 | in the middle of the lift
17 | in the middle of the family reunion
18 | in the middle of carrying the boulder
19 | in the middle of the regiment choice
20 | in the middle of putting on the green cloak
21 | in the middle of nowhere
22 | in the middle of the baiting
23 | in the middle of dauper village
24 | in the middle of the betrayal
25 | in the middle of limping
26 | in the middle of finding out
27 | in the middle of the anniversary
28 | in the middle of staining their hands
29 | in the middle of jean's dumb plan
30 | in the middle of being free citizens
31 | in the middle of the crystal cave
32 | in the middle of orvud district
33 | in the middle of the coronation
34 | in the middle of informing
35 | in the middle of returning to the cadet corps
36 | in the middle of yet another squabble

1 | in the middle of the enlistment

1.5K 61 14
By alexspotatoes

All she wanted was to have an easy life.

''WE NOW BEGIN THE ENLISTMENT CEREMONY FOR THE 104th TRAINEE CORPS!''

It won't be easy to reach that goal.

''I AM KEITH SHADIS, AND I HAD THE MISFORTUNE OF BEING ASSIGNED TO TRAIN YOU BASTARDS! AND I'M NOT HERE TO WELCOME YOU AT ALL!''

In order to achieve the thing she wanted, she needed to suffer first.

''RIGHT NOW, YOU'RE MERE CATTLE, FIT FOR NOTHING BUT TITAN FOOD! NO, LESS THAN CATTLE . . .! IN THREE YEARS WE'LL TAKE YOUR WORTHLESS PIECES OF CRAP AND TRAIN YOU!''

Three years weren't a long time.

''IN THREE YEARS, WHEN YOU STAND BEFORE A TITAN, WILL YOU STILL BE FOOD? OR WILL YOU BE A NOBLE WALL, SHIELDING THE KING? OR PERHAPS, ONE OF HUMANITY'S GLORIOUS SOLDIERS THAT SLAY TITANS? YOU WILL DECIDE!''

Oh, she already had it decided, that was for sure. It wasn't like she had a choice — she had to provide for her mother, and Stella and Leo. Only because her father had to be a selfish moron.

Straight posture, legs apart, hands behind her back. She stood among all the other boys and girls that now made the newest training corps batch. The people she would sleep, eat and train alongside for the next three years. There was only one person she knew well here. Aside from him, she was a stranger among strangers. She hoped that wouldn't be the case for too long.

''HEY, KID?'' Shadis yelled at a scrawny blond-haired kid.

The boy saluted. ''SIR!''

''WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?''

''I'M ARMIN ARLERT FROM SHIGANSHINA, SIR!''

Shiganshina? The place where the Titans broke through a few years ago?

''That so? A name fit for a retard!'' Shadis told the boy. ''Your parents named you that?''

''It was my grandfather, sir!''

''Armin, why are you here?'' Shadis asked, leaning down to Armin's eye level.

''To contribute to humanity's victory, sir!''

''How very admirable!'' Shadis told him, though she had a feeling he didn't really mean it. ''You should make first-rate Titan food. Third squad! About face!'' Shadis grabbed the top of Armin's head and spun him around to face the row behind him.

Next was Thomas Wagner. She was familiar with him — they used to go to school together. Granted, it was quite impossible not to, as there were only two schools in Trost, one in the east and one in the west. They weren't really friends, though.

Shadis made his way over to her row — specifically, to the boy standing next to her. Even she had noticed he was smiling too cockily. She'd told him before they arrived to calm all that personality of his down.

''Who the hell are you?'' Shadis yelled to yet another boy. He was in the row in front of her, one person to the left.

The boy saluted. ''Jean Kirsten from Trost, sir!''

Okay, so far so good. He wasn't being too cocky.

''What are you here for?''

''To join the Military Police Bridage and reside in the Inner District, sir!'' Jean had a smirk on his face. How dumb can you be, Jean-Bo?

''I see. So you wanna live in the inner district?'' Shadis asked calmly. Too calmly.

''Yes, sir!''

Shadis stepped closer to him — and then slammed his head right on top of Jean's, who fell on his knees, rubbing his forehead and groaning. She almost wanted to laugh.

''Who gave you permission to sit?'' Shadis asked. ''If you can't handle that, you'll never make it into the MPs!''

She couldn't help it. She let out a chuckle this time and with Shadis bright right next to her, he heard it. His gaze snapped to her and they made eye contact. Jean was still on the ground as Shadis took a step to the left to stand in front of her. His face was so close to hers that she could smell his breath. It smelled like barbecue. Her stomach almost rumbled — she hadn't eaten breakfast because of the nerves that morning.

''What's so funny, cadet?''

Her fist rose to her heart immediately, saluting her instructor. ''The way you head-butted the cadet was just funny, sir!''

''So you find amusement in others' pain, cadet?''

''No, sir!'' Uh oh. She was already entering Shadis' bad books, wasn't she? ''Just him!'' Jean had just gotten up and, knowing him, he probably wanted to slap the back of her head.

''What's your name, Cadet?''

''Y/n L/n from Trost, sir!''

''Any why are you here, Cadet L/n?''

''To prove myself worthy of the top ten in the class, sir!'' Technically, that was part of the process.

''Top ten? You wanna join the MPs, too, Cadet?''

Y/n nodded. ''Possibly, sir!''

There was a ten second pause, though it felt like ten minutes before Shadis spoke. ''Then you are just as delusional as Moron Kirstein! Neither of you will get to the top ten with these attitudes!''

Y/n didn't dare frown at the statement. She waited until he was gone before she looked up at Jean, who had a teasing smirk on his face. Though, she couldn't take his mockery seriously because Shadis' headbutt had left a red mark right across his forehead.

She pointed over her own forehead and spoke quietly. ''You've got something all over here.'' Jean frowned and touched his forehead, wincing as he did so.

Shadis was squeezing the head of a bald kid by the time she and Jean turned around. Then her eyes fell on a girl two rows ahead, munching on a steamed potato, trying her best to avoid looking at Shadis and the bald cadet. It seemed as if Shadis had noticed her at the same time.

Dropping the kid, Shadis walked over to the girl with the potato. ''Hey, you. What the hell do you think you're doing?''

The girl looked around, almost as if Shadis was talking to someone else.

''YOU! I'M TALKING TO YOU! WHO THE FUCK ARE YOU?'' Shadis yelled in her face. Y/n had the feeling some spit fell out.

She saluted, her potato still in hand. ''Sasha Braus from Dauper, in Wall Rose's Southern District, sir!'' Sasha introduced herself.

''Sasha Braus . . .'' Shadis's tone was dangerously low. ''What are you holding in your right hand?''

''A steamed potato, sir!'' There was no hesitation in her voice. To be fair, it wasn't like she could exactly lie. ''I came across it in the kitchen, so I picked it up!''

''You mean you stole it?'' Shadis asked. ''Why? Why are you eating a potato right now?''

''I wanted to eat it while it was still warm, so I figured it was now or never, sir.'' Oh walls.

''No . . . I don't get it.'' Shadis told her. ''Why are you eating a potato?''

Sasha narrowed her eyes. ''Are you asking why people eat potatoes in general, sir?'' Shadis didn't say anything. Sasha waited before she tore the potato in two and handed him the smaller part. ''Take half for yourself, sir.''

Oh, she's done for. You seemed like a fun person, Sasha. It is unfortunate we didn't get to talk before Shadis fed you to the titans.

———

''So, where are we sitting, Moron Kirstein?''

''Call me that one more time.''

The two had just grabbed their food and were looking over the mess hall, wondering who they were going to sit with. Thomas Wagner was there, but he and Jean didn't particularly get along. The boy Armin from earlier sat with a boy and a girl, but they seemed to keep to themselves. She'd wanted to sit with Sasha, but she wasn't there — she was still running, as per Shadis' punishment. She would have to wait until morning.

This was important. They needed to make social connections.

''How about there?'' Jean nodded his head in the direction of two boys — one was the bald boy who didn't know his lefts and rights, Connie Springer, as well as another boy who'd said he wanted to join the MPs, Marco Bodt, if she remembered correctly.

Y/n frowned. ''I'm not sitting with just boys. I can barely stand you alone.''

Jean shrugged. ''Suit yourself. You don't know anyone else here.'' He started walking away, causing Y/n's mouth to drop.

''Hey! Wait up, dumbass!'' She caught up to him, mumbling under her breath in annoyance. ''I'm dragging that girl Sasha to sit with us tomorrow.''

''Hey.'' Jean didn't even ask if they could sit there, but simply plopped on the bench. ''I'm Jean.''

''Oh my walls, you are so rude.'' Y/n shook her head. ''Excuse this mannerless donkey, can we sit here?''

Jean slapped Y/n lightly in the stomach without even looking at her, causing her to almost drop her stew.

Marco laughed. ''Sure, go ahead. I'm Marco, this is Connie.'' He gestured to the two of them. ''You're Y/n, right?''

Y/n sat down next to Jean, smoothing her skirt as she did. ''Yeah, that's right.''

Okay, they'd found a table. They'd introduced each other . . . now what?

''Do you two know each other?'' asked Marco, pointing between her and Jean. Good, he was taking the lead of the conversation.

Jean nodded. ''Unfortunately.''

Y/n slapped his arm lightly. ''Yeah, our mothers are friends, so we basically grew up together. Unfortunately.''

Connie quirked an eyebrow. ''Oh? So you're dating?''

Y/n felt Jean stiffen next to her. Y/n laughed. ''What? As if! No, we're just friends.''

Jean scoffed. ''Yeah, as if I would date someone who couldn't tie her shoelaces until she was ten.''

This time, Y/n slapped his shoulder hard. ''WHY WOULD YOU SAY THAT? AS IF YOU DIDNT CRY ONCE LAST YEAR BECAUSE A GRASSHOPPER LANDED ON YOUR HEAD!''

Jean's mouth dropped in shock. He grabbed his bread and shoved it in Y/n's mouth. ''DON'T TELL THEM THAT, IDIOT!''

Y/n glared at him, but bit on the bread anyway. ''Thanks for the extra bread.''

''Hey, what? No! Give me yours!'' Jean reached out to grab the still-untouched bread.

''No!'' Y/n pulled it away. ''This one's for Sasha!''

Connie raised an eyebrow. ''The Potato Girl? She's still running?''

Y/n nodded, pushing Jean's head away. ''Yeah. I'm gonna go bring her some food once I'm done, she must be exhausted.''

Marco smiled at her. ''That's so nice of you, Y/n.''

Y/n nodded. ''I know, I'm a saint.''

Jean scoffed. ''Hard to believe.''

''Shut up and eat your stew, Moron Kirstein. By the way, your forehead's still red!''

Dinner was rather enjoyable despite the fact most of the conversation was just her and Jean bickering. She was the first one to have finished. Wrapping the bread she'd managed to save from Jean in a handkerchief, she got up and grabbed her untouched canteen with water. ''I'll see you guys in the morning, yeah?''

Jean looked up; he was still halfway through his meal. ''Where're you going?''

''Gotta feed the poor girl outside — Don't miss me too much, Jean-Bo!'' She ran away before he could throw something at her for the nickname.

She exited the mess hall with the bread and a canteen in hand. It was already dark outside. Sasha was still running, though she seemed to be heading towards the barracks at last. Y/n quickly made her way down the stairs and towards Sasha, who's loud pants filled the air the closer the two girls got to each other.

''Sasha!'' Y/n called, though the girl didn't turn. She must've been too exhausted to pay attention. ''Hey! SASHA!''

That seemed to startle her. Sasha looked at Y/n, her eyes droopy, sweat dripping from her forehead and neck. Her ponytail was loose and she seemed like she was about to drop any minute now. She made her way to Y/n and did just that. ''Woah!'' Y/n managed to catch her, dropping the canteen on the ground as she slowly lowered the girl. ''Sasha, you okay?''

''Food . . .'' she muttered, her eyes only half-open and unfocused.

''I got you something.'' Y/n opened the handkerchief and dangled the bread above Sasha's eyes. ''It's not much, but—''

It was like Y/n had dangled a direct ticket to the top ten graduates. Sasha's eyes snapped open and her hand flew up to snatch the bread from Y/n, immediately stuffing it in her mouth while still laying down, causing her to choke.

''Sasha!'' Y/n quickly helped her sit up, pulling the rest of the bread out of her mouth and handing her the canteen. Sasha coughed and Y/n patted her on the back. ''There, there.''

''Thank—'' Cough. ''Thank you! Oh my walls, I am dying. Am I in heaven?'' Sasha drank the water quickly and Y/n wondered if she was going to choke again; she didn't. ''Thank you! Thank you! Thank you so much!''

Y/n never knew someone could be so thankful for a piece of stale bread.

Despite the shock, Y/n chuckled. ''You're welcome.''

The two sat on the ground as Sasha started munching on her bread again. ''Whash your nhame?'' She spoke with her mouth full and Y/n barely understood her.

''It's Y/n.''

''Thank you so much, Y/n! You're a life saver.'' Sasha put her free hand on Y/n's shoulder and shook her. ''Let's be friends! Please, please, please!''

Y/n laughed. ''Yeah, sure.'' The two stood up. Y/n wasn't sure how Sasha was even still standing — she was something else for sure. Was she a potential top ten candidate? ''Let's go back to the barrack. You're bunking with me, by the way. Hope you don't mind.''

''Of course not!'' Sasha wrapped her arm around Y/n's, holding the canteen with her other one. ''My legs are killing me! I need to lay down — the sooner I sleep, the sooner I can go to breakfast tomorrow!''

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12K 399 20
❝WE ARE IN THIS MESS BECAUSE I WENT ONLINE, NOW, I GOTTA GET OUT USING IT❞ [ started: 11 october 2019 ended: 12 jun...
109K 1.6K 11
Reminder: I don't own Attack on Titan or this story. This story belongs to ii-phoenix-ii on fanfiction.net. The Survey Corps group returns and watche...
598K 22.7K 110
It's natural to want to follow your sibling around everywhere, no matter what. Even if that means joining the Survey Crops and signing your life away...
98.9K 3K 43
*β™‘βˆž:q.q  q.q:βˆžβ™‘* "𝘒𝘳𝘦 𝘺𝘰𝘢 𝘧𝘒𝘭𝘭π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨 π˜ͺ𝘯 𝘭𝘰𝘷𝘦?" "𝘨𝘰𝘡 𝘡𝘩𝘦 𝘧𝘦𝘦𝘭π˜ͺ𝘯𝘨 𝘺𝘰𝘢 𝘒𝘳𝘦." reader based & college A/U. HIGHEST RATI...