Resisting Rosaleen (18+)

By valjeca02

Revived and rewritten Captivating Camillo Description: After being caught with a substitute teacher, Rosaleen... More

Prologue
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
Epilogue - Nikolas Camillo POV

31

4.7K 167 35
By valjeca02

Have you ever stared at an object so much that it started looking funny in your eyes? Have you ever stared at a door so much that you started questioning its very purpose in the world? Have you ever stared at a slab of wood with a metal knob so much that you started wondering why it's called a door in the first place?

You might be thinking that I woke up high on coke for having weird questions at nine in the morning but really I'm just a nineteen-year-old woman who stared too long at her bedroom door when her eyes opened because she didn't want to get up just yet.

Not after the dream she just had.

But the Earth rotates and revolves, the days go on, and clocks won't stop. So, with all I had in me, I forced my ass off the bed and into the shower. My outfit for the day was a simple floral dress.

Wyatt was already at work, thus, the empty living room and the clutter on the dining table being tidied by a maid. Judging by the weather, today's a great day. It was a good thing I had sunglasses in my purse because the sun bitch-slapped me the moment I walked out the door.

"Chop, chop, Jared," I said as I walked to the car, "We have somewhere to be."

Jared and I have been up and down. He was pissed that I ditched him again but it was surprising that he hasn't gotten used to being outsmarted by me yet.

"Where to this time?" he asked, adjusting the mirror.

"I'm supposed to invite the Alexeevs," I said to him. It wasn't necessarily a lie. I told my brother I'd be happy to give Leonel an invitation personally when I visit Viktor. But I wasn't visiting Viktor, it was just an excuse to meet with Leo for lunch.

The restaurant that Leonel chose was far but he also said it would be worth the travel. When we got there, I insisted that Jared stay in the car. I promise him that I wouldn't try to escape.

If anyone asks me why Leonel and I keep seeing each other, all I can say is that it's what friends do. He's been a great listener and his company's not the worst. Plus, he has nice music taste and he pays for food.

Free food and free therapy sessions. What's not to like?

I came earlier than the man, though before I was able to question a chair's origin and purpose on Earth from staring too hard, Mr. Alexeev arrived.

"Good afternoon," Leo was extra chirpy, greeting me as he pulled the chair out and sat.

We ordered our food—Greek cuisine along with the drink of the day.

"Charlotte's birthday?" he started, placing the table napkin across his lap, "I'm not sure if I can be there."

"Why not?" I pouted since he's the only friend I'll have there to keep me at least a bit entertained. Aside from Nick.

"A surprise party?" he scoffed, "That's not up my streak. Can you imagine me with a party hat on, carrying a party popper and waiting for Charlotte?"

I guess he has a point. "Not really," the waiter arrived with the drinks, "But come late then."

"We'll see, Rosaleen," he smiled once before bringing the glass to his lips.

"Please be there," I added, "You're the only adult worth talking to." Who would I socialize with? Charlotte's co-workers?

"Isn't Nikolas going to be there?" he asked.

A waitress approached, serving us appetizers which I shamelessly dove into the moment the plate was laid. I groaned at the mention of Nikolas.

"You were right, Leo," I sighed, "I think I'm getting attached to him and I don't want that.

"Easy," he shrugged, "Distance yourself."

"I can't," I drummed my fingers on the table, "Not when I finally have him."

He raised a brow at that, "Do you? I don't think you'd be acting this way if you did."

That had me going quiet. I already have Nikolas, don't I?

"Now what exactly is your problem? Hm?" he asked.

"I want him but don't want him getting to me," that was all I can say. It did sound immature after I said it aloud.

"Rosaleen," Leonel leaned forward, capturing my eyes with his serious ones, "You're a big girl. I honestly think you need to talk to him about this. Discuss your limits, your privileges, lay some rules out. You're never messy so don't start now."

Once again, Leonel Alexeev was telling me all that I needed to hear. Maybe a reason why I openly pour my problems to him is because he can easily put himself in Nick's shoes. Leonel is a gentleman but he has his women and monogamy wasn't one of his closest friends. He's almost as old as Camillo too.

"Another problem's my driver," I began, wishing Leonel could help me with this one as well, "He knows."

"Uh-oh," he said sassily, "What did you do about it?"

I was about to tell him that I tried manipulating the man when he cut me off, "Please don't tell me you gaslighted him."

"I gaslighted him."

He mumbled something to himself—something about the general female species before clearing his throat and saying, "When you want someone on your side, you show them who you are and why you do what you do," Leonel explained, "You don't threaten them or give them more of a reason to hate you."

Leonel wiped his mouth with a napkin and I noticed how clean his manicured nails were. "It's like business, Rosaleen. You want that partnership? you invite John to golf and yachting and show him that you're a good person. Then bam. Before you know it, he's admitting to you that he's having sex with his secretary."

I wanted to applaud him. He was right. Jared was already warming up to me—that's why he didn't tell my brother right away. The way I reacted his valid reaction only pushed him away.

I waved at the waitress and ordered a whole chicken for takeout.

Leonel looked at me weirdly. "Does your brother not feed you at home anymore?"

I rolled my eyes. "It's for my driver."

I didn't mention Nick anymore for the rest of our little date nor Jared. Date. I'll call it that. A friendly date.

Despite not mentioning my principal, I'm sure Leonel was aware that Mr. Camillo was occupying my mind. Leo didn't push me he kept telling stories about work and home despite the fact that my comprehension was shallow and my interest was wavering.

Since the moment I met Nikolas, not a day passed by without me thinking about him.

It was pathetic to the core.

After eating tasty fruit tarts for dessert, Leonel took his card out and paid for our food.

We walked out. Birds were out and flowers were in bloom. The streets were alive and the breeze was pleasant. The blue sky was decorated with clouds and the trees were as green as green can be looking like a an average person's vision of a perfect day.

"Talk to him, okay?" said Leonel as we stood beside my vehicle.

"I will," I pulled him in for a brief hug, "Go to the party, okay?"

"We'll see," he told me before pulling away. Jared reappeared, standing blank by the car. He opened the door for me.

Leonel had just turned when a familiar voice called out from a distance.

"Rose?" it shouted and my blood ran cold again, much like the previous night.

Turning to the side, I saw the familiar face of Bianca Camillo with the usual sweet smile on her gorgeous face. As she walked towards us, Leonel gave me a serious look that expressed just how screwed we may be. The look also said 'cooperate.'

"Leonel?" Bianca recognized him a second later. I didn't miss how her brows knitted before I pulled her in for an embrace. Was it so shady to see us together?

Maybe if I hug her tight enough, her bones will break and she dies.

No. Orange doesn't suit you, Rosa.

And Nikolas won't bone you anymore if you kill his wife.

"Bianca," I let the name slip with feigned delight. "What a small world! What are you doing here?"

I didn't miss how Leonel discreetly put distance in between us. Our hug, if Bianca saw, had surely caused suspicion.

Hell, being in a restaurant with Leonel in broad daylight was suspicious enough.

Now add in Jared as a bystander in the mix. I did not prepare myself for a day like this.

"Running some errands around town," she answered, "How about you?" her eyes flickered to Leo before settling back on me.

"Rosaleen here is planning to take up an internship program for me this summer." It was Leonel who answered—Leonel who looked intimidating despite speaking kindly, "Her brother thought it would be a great idea. Right, Rose?" he never calls me Rose.

"Yes." I answered with no hesitation. I glanced once at Jared. He was full-on intrigued. Is this really how Wyatt's employees are? I could imagine the maids, butlers, and bodyguards gossiping now. But Jared seemed like he kept to himself and to his boss—at least when he was still fully loyal to my brother.

"That is a great idea," the woman sounded convinced enough, "Nikolas mentioned that your brother came by his office once."

They've been talking about me?

I wonder what else he tells her.

"He wanted to know about my academic performance," conversations like these make me cringe but I had to endure it. So, for the next five minutes, the three of us talked about my future plans.

I could feel that Leonel wanted nothing else than to be over with the conversation and I felt the same internal relief that he did when Bianca wrapped it up with a "I gotta get going. Nick must be looking for me."

After brief parting words, we watched as the woman walked away.

"Jared, get the car ready," I said in an attempt to rid him of what Leonel was about to say. He went inside the vehicle and the engine grumbled.

"You know," Leonel started, voice lowered, "If she wasn't so... nice, I would've hit that," I glanced at the man to see that his eyes were focused on Bianca's behind. I glanced briefly at Jared. He looked weirded out.

I spared a look at Bianca again, noting how her ass did look nice in a gray pencil skirt.

Then, I smacked Leo's chest.

I suddenly felt insecure knowing that Nick loves ass.

"Don't even think about it," I told him as I rolled my eyes.

But he was kind of onto something.

"You sure?" he asked before opening the car door for me, "That would make things a whole lot easier for you."

It would. It really, really would.

"Bye, Leonel," I told him through the window, "See you later."

"Here," I said to Jared, handing him the takeout bag, "I figured you might be hungry."

He looked at me as if I were possessed.

Was it too direct? Too obvious? Too Aiden?

"I know what you're trying to do," he said, narrowing his eyes at me.

"I'm treating you to lunch."

"No," he face straight, "You're trying to be nice to convince—"

"I'm not trying," I said to Jared, "I am nice. Just not the nicest," and not to everyone.

I offered him the bag again, "This is going to waste if you don't take it. Big guy like you has to eat."

He didn't budge. The car started moving. I left the bag on the passenger's seat.

We drove off but I didn't feel like going home yet. "Bring me to the nearest mall," I said to Jared. It was also a good time to look for Charlotte's birthday gift.

Jared was quiet but I knew he was thinking into the story. The picture was getting clearer. There was a new character. Thankfully, he didn't ask any questions or gave any comments as we drove for five minutes, parked, and went into eight different shops.

I found the perfect present for Charlotte at a retro boutique: a record player and a vinyl of Enter The Wu-Tang which I was honestly surprised to find at this age and place.

Then, I looked for something cute to wear for the party. That 'something' turned into 'some things' because an hour later, Jared was lifting weights again—the weight of multiple shopping bags.

He loaded the bags into the trunk and we were off. Jared still wasn't speaking about it so I decided to speak about him instead, just like how things used to be.

"Show me pictures," I began. A lot of people were heading home after a weekend out. There was slight traffic.

He looked confused. "Of Eleanor," I said, "new ones."

Jared didn't question it and instead pulled out his phone. His lockscreen was the same as last time. He waited for a red light before opening his gallery and handing the device to me.

There was a photo of her wearing a backpack and holding a lunchbox. She was missing one of her two front teeth which made me giggle. The next photo was of her and her cat, bowls on their heads as they hid behind a stack of pillows, looking like they're playing pretend soldiers. The last one was of her sleeping. The last one was adorable but sad. She was hugger a stuffed rhino, her expression sad as she was sleeping—eyebrows together, lips turned downward.

I handed Jared his phone back. "Adorable," I said. We were quiet again. Then finally he decides to speak.

"Leonel Alexeev knows," he stated.

"Yeah," I said, "accidentally."

"And that was your principal's wife," he stated again, "This is a lot messier than I thought."

"That's how it is," I simply said, "People know people. You know, for having such a boring job, you should be thrilled to get some drama," I joked in an attempt to restore how we used to be.

"I don't want this kind," he told me. "Not like I get to choose."

We were quiet again and I decided not to push it too much on the first day of my Make Jared Absolutely Like Me project. I was determined though, to make progress soon. It shouldn't even be that hard, right? Rosaleen Martin has a way with people.

Right?

-

"Why do I feel like we're disrupting her privacy?" I asked my brother who, at the rare moment, was looking comical with an armful of balloons and a party popper between his neck and shoulder.

"Because we are," he said as I grabbed some of the balloons, "But in a good way."

"If you say so."

Char's flat looked better than I imagined. It was homey with warm tones and beautiful furniture that look like they've been passed down to her. Still, they tied in with the modern feel of the space. Plants were present on multiple surfaces and after touching a few, I found out that none of them were fake and suddenly wished that I had the same skill and interest with greenery.

Wyatt was busy placing balloons everywhere and four of his employees who were also Charlotte's friends were busy with streamers.

It's simple enough: twenty to thirty people, pizza, chips, drinks, music, plus a big-ass birthday cake equals one happy Charlotte.

Within the next hour, more people arrived. Significant ones like Mr. Alexeev and Mr. Camillo were still absent and I was getting pretty bored so I started munching on hot Cheetos. Wyatt got a phone call and I didn't miss how nervous he suddenly got.

I didn't think much into it. Not a while later, his call ended and there was a knock on the door.

"Rose, unbox the cake, will ya?" he called out as he walked towards the door, fixing his tie and his sleeves on the way.

With a cutter in hand, I gently sliced through the tape that held the box together.

At least I'm occupied.

"Rosaleen," my head whipped to my brother before my eyes settled on the guy beside him who managed to pique my interest within three seconds of shameless staring.

Well, hello there.

"Yes?" I walked towards them, keeping my eyes on the man version of Charlotte.

"Meet Eric," a prince?

I held my hand out and he took it in his. "I'm the brother," he said as he captured my eyes with his blue ones.

"I'm the sister," I could feel the grin on my face, "Rose."

Whatever that was quietly going on between us, Wyatt picked up on it.

"I'm gonna hang the disco ball," he excused himself, "She'll be here in a few minutes."

"So you're the Brooklyn kid?" we made our way to the living room where everything was looking ready for the birthday girl.

"I am," he chuckled and it sounded as handsome as him.

I gave a smile of my own, "Char told me a lot about you," liar.

"Really?" we sat on the couch. He looked amused—as if he could see through my lie, "Like what?"

"Like..." my brows furrowed as I thought of something clever. "Well, she said you have a girlfriend," I told him.

Eric laughed and I noticed how he and his sister had the same cute little crinkles on the corner of their eyes, "I don't."

"Fine," I cocked my head to the side, "I don't know anything about you, but maybe you can fix that?"

He laughed again. Obviously, he was flattered. "Wow, uh," he shook his head as a gorgeous smile broke through his lips. I guess it's in their genes, "Girls I've met aren't as bold as you," he admitted.

I can get very bold indeed.

Guilt settled in my stomach. It was only a bit but I knew why I felt it.

Nikolas. One name, seven letters.

He doesn't have a hold on you, Rosa. Ignore it.

There was another knock on the door and too quickly, Wyatt called out, "Rose! Can you get that?"

I winked at Eric to excuse myself.

Hopping off the couch, I approached the white door as I readied my smile for new guests.

Surprise, surprise.

The guest was Nick in a green button-up tucked into black pants. A black jacket completed his look. We stared at each other, both conflicting to make the first move.

"Come in, Mr. Camillo," I greeted brightly as I stepped to the side to let the man in.

He shrugged the jacket off and hung it on the rack.

"Thank you, Ms. Martin," he cleared his throat and stuffed his hands in his pockets.

"Just you?" I asked as I walked him to the kitchen where Wyatt is.

"Just me, " Nikolas confirmed.

"Wyatt," I called the very occupied boyfriend, "Mr. Camillo's here."

My brother turned a hundred and eighty degrees and welcomed the man. I quietly excused myself and retreated to Eric who found alternative entertainment with the coffee table books.

"Hey," I sat beside him, "Sorry about that."

"That's fine," he smirked, "That man who just came in, he looks familiar."

I scoffed at that, remembering that Nikolas and Char were a thing in high school and that Eric must've seen him at least once back then.

"I heard he's been friends with your sister since high school."

"Speaking of sister," facing me, Eric put his elbow on the backrest, "When's she getting here?"

Looking at the digital clock, I said "Soon."

"I appreciate Wyatt for this," said Eric, "He has my vote."

'And you're winning his' is what I was going to say before my brother dramatically cleared his throat, catching mine and Eric's attention.

"Eric, this is Nikolas."

Eric got to his feet and greeted the man politely. Nikolas looked friendly enough and if I didn't know any better, I would have never thought that he was jealous.

Jealous. Even if the man denies it, the way his eyes narrowed and jaw ticked was familiar.

It was when Sean Caron was involved.

It was when Leonel Alexeev was involved.

And suddenly, I remembered that I requested Leonel to come. I realized that I set a shit show for myself and I could only hope that shit doesn't hit the fan. I felt like laughing, but they'd probably think I'm nuts.

Maybe I am.

Knowing that Nikolas was jealous made me feel giddy. I suddenly wanted to make him jealous. The thought of Mr. Camillo with a big fat J on his forehead brought a certain satisfaction to me after remembering the times I felt possessive with him over his interactions with Bianca.

Suddenly, Eric wasn't just a distraction anymore.

He's a bait for the green-eyed-monster.

"I'm gonna introduce Eric to the others," said the older Martin.

"Go ahead," Nick nodded with a polite smile which I can tell was fake.

Nikolas sat on the couch beside me with appropriate distance between us and which was a good thing because I didn't want my head ripped off if my ploy works.

"A handsome young man, don't you think?" I started, pertaining to Eric who I stared boldly at.

Nikolas was quick to pick up with my evil intentions.

"It won't work, you know," he said as he reached forward and grabbed the bowl of Cheetos I abandoned a while ago.

"What won't work?" I crossed my arms and kept my eyes on Eric.

"Whatever you're trying to do," he said. Why do I feel like we've had this conversation before?

"I'm not trying to do anything," I snorted and reached to my side, grabbing a Cheeto from his bowl. Holding his gaze, I winked when I popped it into my mouth.

You know what else I want in my mouth?

Make a guess. I assure you that it's not the holy gospel.

He laughed dryly. "I don't see the point in this," he licked the cheese off the tip of this thumb.

"The point in what?" I continued to play dumb.

He ignored that I said. "I hope you know what you're doing," he seems to be enjoying the hot Cheetos, "And I hope you know that you're wasting your time and effort."

"On what?" my brows knitted in feigned confusion, "All I know is that I want to bear Charlotte's niece."

There was a suspenseful pause before Nikolas sighed and narrowed his eyes at me. "Fine," he grabbed my wrist and bit the cheesy snack between my fingers, "Have it your way,."

-

Let's skip the cheesy parts, shall we?

Charlotte was surprised, but of course she was. That's why it's called a surprise party, isn't it?

Charlotte was very thankful to Wyatt.

They looked happy. So happy that they looked like they just got engaged. She had a joyful reunion with her beloved brother whose blue eyes still amaze me.

There was tension between Nick and I, but there always is and I've gotten used to it.

Eric's been boring me about his campus stories for the past twenty minutes. I don't think he was aware that my attention was on the man across the room—the one with a can of Sprite in hand, talking to acquaintances and sending cold looks for the past third of an hour. The looks got less and less and I guess Nikolas gave himself a pep talk saying that Eric's got nothing on him.

For other people, the party started when the birthday woman arrived, but for me?

It started when my favorite Russian millionaire knocked on the door.

"Leonel," I pulled the man in for a hug, one that looked more solemn than intimate. "I'm glad you made it," I said when I pulled away.

Leo then proceeded to the middle of the unit where Wyatt and Charlotte were. By then, Nikolas was drilling a hole through my cheek. I caught his eye once and he avoided my gaze.

Once Leonel was alone again, I walked to him and noticed how out-of-place he looked at the party.

"I am so much more handsome than Nikolas," he said randomly before taking a sip of white wine. Who drinks white wine at a party like this?

That made me scoff, "No one's more handsome than Nick."

Leonel rolled his eyes, "That was a test. You're whipped."

"No, I'm not," I clunk my glass with his and drank, "I'm telling the truth. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, is it not?"

"It is, malyshka, it is," he told me.

"What does that mean?" I pursed my lips, "You called me that before."

"You have your phone? Google it," sassy Leo downed the rest of his drink and put the glass on the console table.

"Should I say hi to the adulterer?" he asked, pertaining to the most handsome man in the room.

Excitement shot through me. If Eric wasn't much of a threat to Nick, how about Leonel? "Let's go."

Whereas Leonel looked like a piece of meat in the vegan section, Nikolas blended well with the surroundings. If I ignore the fact that he's been stealing looks at me and my friend ever since Leonel got here, I would've been convinced that he was truly laid back and enjoying.

"Mr. Camillo!" Alexeev greeted with such bogus respect it had me rolling my eyes.

"Mr. Alexeev," Nikolas's face was blank as he nodded in recognition, "Nice of you to attend."

"I had to beg him to come here," I cut in, glancing dreamily at Leonel.

"Ah, is that what happened during lunch?" asked Nick, "My wife ran into you."

"She did," Leonel nodded, "It was nice seeing a friendly face in this neighborhood."

"She also told me that Rose will be spending her summer with you," Nick crossed his arms in front of his chest and I tried not to get distracted by his arms.

"That's correct," plastering a smile on my face, I cocked my head to the side, "I'll be working on him everyday in his office."

"I think you mean 'with'," Nick's eyes narrowed the tiniest bit.

"I don't." My chin was up defiantly. Leonel's presence almost slipped my mind. Mr. Camillo's face was blank but I felt the resentment nonetheless.

"Right," Nick muttered. "I'm gonna get some food. Excuse me," he nodded once at Leonel before walking away.

The Russian sighed heavily. "Gosh. You put me in the middle, didn't you?" Leo asked, pertaining to the heavy atmosphere between my principal and I.

"Cooperate," I told him, "And I'll treat you to lunch next time."

"That is if he doesn't kill. I'm a lover not a fighter, Rosaleen."

The next hour went on with me being clingy to Leo. Subtle for when Char, Eric, or my brother was around and not so subtle when Nikolas was nearby. It was a dangerous night. At the very least, it was good that Jared was not around to witness anything more.

We sang to Charlotte before she blew her candles. Leonel looked pretty comical doing so. I noticed Nikolas slip out of the living area.

"I'll be right back," I went for the kitchen and ignored Leonel's protests.

When I arrived, Nick was in front of the fridge, holding its door open. His eyes were going back and forth between a can of Pepsi and a bottle of beer.

"You better not pick beer, Mr. Camillo."

He sighed and shook his head before grabbing the Pepsi, "I'll mind my business if you mind yours."

"I thought you said it won't work?" I teased, pertaining to the way he's being cold.

He ignored that, "I told you before that I don't like seeing you with him, but I have no right to stop you so go ahead and fuck him if you want." It's chilling how he looked so composed and expressionless as he said this, "I don't want to be played with."

"We need to talk," I said sternly.

"We do," his jaw tightened, "Funny how it came from you this time."

"Meet me at my house," preferably at a time when everyone is asleep. I rolled my eyes, "Don't bring a car."

"No," he glared, "I can't risk that."

"It's either my house tonight or you office on Monday," I glared hard at the man, "What's it going to be?"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.7K 224 33
Duke Kingsley is the reigning President of Goldwater Academy. He made sure everything was done in perfect order and only the highest standards were a...
468K 10.9K 40
| COMPLETE | 𝑳𝒐𝒗𝒆 𝒊𝒔 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒚 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝒘𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒂𝒗𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒚 𝒌𝒊𝒏𝒅 𝒐𝒇 𝒊𝒏𝒇𝒍𝒖𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒐𝒏 𝒊𝒏 𝒐𝒖𝒓...
1.2M 33.5K 67
Diana Apollo was a straight A student, and never really had to work hard for it until Mr. Grant came along and became her Advanced Calculus teacher. ...
507K 10.6K 37
(Completed and being spellchecked) A student and a sexy gym teacher. 5 year difference, forbidden love, and a good girl bad boy story. Rose doesn't k...