The Offering

By megan_rose_writes

Almost 100 years ago when the fae discovered they could no longer bare children a treaty was made between Fae... More

The Offering
Prologue
Chapter One - Daella
Chapter Two - Daella
Chapter Three - Daella
Chapter Four - Varis
Chapter Five - Daella
Chapter Six - Daella
Chapter Seven - Aeris
Chapter Eight - Daella
Chapter Nine - Demwyn
Chapter Ten - Daella
Chapter Eleven - Alvaryn
Chapter Twelve - Daella
Chapter Thirteen - Varis
Chapter Fourteen - Aeris
Chapter Fifteen - Daella
Chapter Sixteen - Demwyn
Chapter Seventeen - Alvaryn
Chapter Eighteen - Daella
Chapter Nineteen - Aeris
Chapter Twenty - Daella
Chapter Twenty One - Daella
Chapter Twenty Two - Demwyn
Chapter Twenty Three - Daella
Chapter Twenty Four - Alvaryn
Chapter Twenty Five - Daella
Chapter Twenty Six - Daella
Chapter Twenty Seven - Alvaryn
Chapter Twenty Eight - Varis
Chapter Twenty Nine - Daella
Chapter Thirty - Aeris
Chapter Thirty One - Alvaryn
Chapter Thirty Two - Daella
Chapter Thirty Three - Demwyn
Chapter Thirty Four - Daella
Chapter Thirty Five - Aeris
Chapter Thirty Six - Daella
Chapter Thirty Seven - Alvaryn
Chapter Thirty Eight - Daella
Chapter Thirty Nine - Daella
Chapter Fourty - Aeris
Chapter Fourty One - Daella
Chapter Forty Two - Daella
Chapter Forty Three - Alvaryn
Chapter Forty Four - Demwyn
Chapter Forty Five - Daella
Chapter Forty Six - Daella
Chapter Forty Seven - Aeris
Chapter Forty Eight - Varis
Chapter Forty Nine - Demwyn
Chapter Fifty - Alvaryn
Chapter Fifty One - Aeris
Chapter Fifty Two - Alvaryn
Chapter Fifty Three - Aeris
Chapter Fifty Four - Demwyn
Chapter Fifty Five - Daella
Chapter Fifty Six - Varis
Chapter Fifty Seven - Alvaryn
Chapter Fifty Eight - Daella
Chapter Fifty Nine - Daella
Chapter Sixty One - Daella
Chapter Sixty Two - Daella
Chapter Sixty Three - Alvaryn
Chapter Sixty Four - Daella
Chapter Sixty Five - Demwyn
Chapter Sixty Six - Alvaryn
Chapter Sixty Seven - Daella
Chapter Sixty Eight - Daella
Chapter Sixty Nine - Varis
Chapter Seventy - Aeris
Chapter Seventy One - Alvaryn
Chapter Seventy Two - Daella
Chapter Seventy Three - Daella
Chapter Seventy Four - Aeris
Chapter Seventy Five - Demwyn
Chapter Seventy Six - Daella
Chapter Seventy Seven - Daella
Epilogue

Chapter Fifty Sixty - Demwyn

2.1K 76 8
By megan_rose_writes

I sit with Alvaryn to my right and Aeris beside him, they had finally started showing up to council meetings now father was awake and war was an imminent threat. They still weren't speaking to me and while it was infuriating, no matter what I said they refused to listen.

It felt odd to be on opposite sides for so long. Yes we had fought, it was only natural as brothers that we bickered and fought but this was different. We had never fought over someone else, especially over a woman. And our fights never lasted this long. We were planning to go to war and the last thing I wanted was for us to be on opposite sides.

I stand with the others around the table as the doors open and Father enters the room breaking my train of thought. He does his best to hold himself to his full height but I can see the slight struggle as he makes his way in and takes a seat at the head of the table.

He looks around the table, taking in each member. "Where is Varis?" He asks no one and everyone.

"I am here Your Majesty!" Varis calls out, rushing into the room breathless and holding a letter in his hands. "Apologies Your Majesty but I have just received a letter from Nievenyth with the Kings seal." He says taking his seat beside father.

"What does it say?" Father asks as I tense, feeling the leather of my uniform as I cross my arms over my chest and lean back into my chair waiting to hear what they have to say.

Varis opens the letter and clears his throat.

"To Your Highness, King Harwyn of Wyndelle, I write to you because by now you would have received our first warning. My brother, Prince Arden's visit was not all it was intended to be, while the idea of peace between our kingdoms is noble indeed, our true intention was to ascertain the truth of a rumour we had heard regarding your plan to marry your sons to humans. While we too have made an agreement with our neighbouring humans to carry on our lineage, we cannot support or allow you to give these lesser creatures positions of authority and rulership." Varis takes a steadying breath before continuing. "We have united ourselves with all neighbouring human villages and cities and now have a sizeable army. We are willing to forgo the attack on your kingdom if you agree to the following terms: Firstly you will acknowledge Nievenyth as the ruling kingdom and I, Callin Valgrin, your King. Secondly you are to dissolve the treaty you currently have with the humans that live at your borders and return their daughters to them immediately. If these terms are met we will withdraw our army and our two Kingdoms can be at peace once more. If you do not heed our warning and agree to our terms then we will attack with our full force. You have ten days. Signed, King Callin Valgrin of Nievenyth."

The room is silent as I sit staring at the letter in Varis hands.

"A warning," My father mutters. "He calls that attack a warning!" He snaps, hands fisted on the table in front of him.

"Your Majesty, we now have the proof needed to free Queen Marlia from her rooms and announce her innocence to the people." Varis offers, staring at the page he holds.

"Yes, we now have proof that they never intended peace between our Kingdoms, that what they want is for us to surrender ourselves to them and bow down to Callin!" Father raises his voice. "He wants us to destroy our treaty with the humans who have supposedly joined his forces and return our chosen!"

"He could be lying." Alvaryn says leaning forward in his seat. "We have no proof that the humans have joined him."

"You're right, we need to see for ourselves whether or not he is telling the truth, and how big this army of his is." Father agrees.

"Let me go, I'll take a few men and go and scout out their camps, get a number and find out if he is telling the truth or not." I say quickly.

He nods in agreement. "Yes, take two of your best men, scout out their camps, I want locations, numbers, weapons of war and whether or not the humans are fighting for him."

I nod, finally happy to be able to do something instead of be stuck behind these walls.

"If he is telling the truth and the humans are fighting with him, they are a large people, their number would be in the tens of thousands." Alvaryn says calmly.

"Why would they agree to fight for Nievenyth, surely their situation can be no better than the one they have with us?" Aeris asks leaning forward.

"I don't know, but if it's true and they are fighting for him, your brother is right, it would be a large army." Father says shaking his head.

"Ten days." Varis says quietly and the others turn to him. He shifts in his seat. "He says right at the end, you have ten days. Prince Demwyn you will need to ride hard and fast if you are to return before the time is up."

"I can make it back in time." I reply.

"Their arrogance cannot be allowed to stand." Father says, eyes hard as he looks around the room to each of his council members. "They cannot be allowed to rule, and we will not stand by and let their attack go unnoticed, nor will we surrender to their demands."

"Your Majesty, you know our houses stand with you." Lord Wyrthmere says looking at the other lords around the table as they nod in agreement.

"Good, but it may not be enough, we may need the support from our allies as well." Father says, brow furrowed in thought.

"I have already sent word to our allies Your Majesty, I can send a request for support if you require." Varis replies quickly.

"If what they claim is true and they have the humans fighting with them then I fear we may need their support."

I tighten the strap on my horses' saddle checking it's ready before looking over at the two I chose to come with me.

I look back to the palace and see Alvaryn and Aeris walking towards me and I turn towards them.

"Safe travels brother." Alvaryn says with a simple nod.

"Thank you." I nod in return, still feeling the gap between us and the strained energy as Aeris looks around the courtyard clearly unhappy to be here.

"Let's hope Callin's letter is full of shit." Aeris smiles up at me tightly before clapping Alvaryn on his shoulder and heading back towards the palace.

"Well at least he came to see me off." I say watching him walk away.

"Only because I persuaded him." Alvaryn replies and I let out a heavy sigh. "He isn't going to just change his mind and get over it Dem, this isn't one of your usual fights."

"I know it isn't one of our usual fights because if it were it would be over and done with now!" I snap bitterly.

Alvaryn shakes his head. "We can't just forgive you for what you did, and we can't move on when we know you are against us."

"Us? How can there be an us, Alvaryn? How can you both be with one woman?" I ask trying to understand how on earth they still couldn't see it.

"I know it doesn't make sense to you, or Father," He mutters more to himself. "But it isn't something we can just let go of."

"I'm trying Alvaryn, I am trying to understand your side of this but in all honestly it seems completely ridiculous to me. I am your brother and I love both of you, I want you to be happy, but this, this is complete madness. You are both working towards something that is impossible. I know you Alvaryn, I know you don't waste your time on impossible things." I say genuinely, hoping he can understand where I am coming from.

"It isn't impossible." He says gritting his teeth and looking away, eyes hard as he takes a steadying breath and calms himself. "Look, I just came to see you off, not start a whole discussion. You should get going, it's going to be a long ride."

I nod, holding back all the words wanting to get out, knowing they won't make a difference and he was right, I did need to leave, I was already wasting daylight.

"I appreciate it." I say sincerely. "Oh, I won't be here for your name day, I was going to give this to one of the servants to give to you but seeing as you are here." I say reaching into my coat pocket to pull out the small rectangle box and hold it out to him.

"You didn't need to get me anything." He says taking it with a look of surprise.

"Well it's your 250th." I shrug.

"Thank you." He says holding the box in his hands. "Safe travels Demwyn." He looks up at me and while once, before we had been on these opposing sides we would have hugged, clapping each other's backs and trading jokes to one another. But now, I only nod, turning towards my horse and pulling myself up.

I look to my two riders who are ready and waiting and nod to them, squeezing the heels of my boots into my horse he starts walking towards the gates.

Once Alvaryn and Aeris might have been the ones riding with me, eager to see for themselves the army we were about to face. We would have ridden together as we had many times over.

But now things are changed, all because of one woman.

How I wished that things were different, that they had seen her as they did all the other chosen, or if just one of them wanted her instead of both. Or better yet, she wasn't part of this offering at all, that she was never bought into our kingdom, never met my brothers, never bewitched them and made them choose her over their own family and kingdom.

It seemed like they had made up their minds and no amount of persuasion was going to change them. I didn't know what I would do, I was running out of ideas. I only knew that if they continue on this path they would end up tearing our family apart and I couldn't allow that to happen.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

961 188 9
Aquaria is chosen to be the youngest fairy god mother in Eupharia - the land of fairies and gets the toughest tale to solve. Prince Herman is not the...
13K 187 8
Dominique - A hurricane tore this sweet southern girl from her family. She moved to California to escape the memories and forget the pain. It worked...
97.8K 4.9K 29
(OLD VERSION) A soul, wishing to be free of its confines. A kingdom, harsh and unwilling to unlock the chains. Davian was taken from his home from a...
81.3K 7K 33
Ariella doesn't want to love a human, they have ruined her world, tried to steal from her, taken those she loved away from her and made her life diff...