The Overwatch Story

By TareqALM

The Overwatch lore made into a single continuous story. All content belongs to Blizzard. This is fan fiction... More

Prologue - The Omnic Crisis
Chapter 1 - Chaos Within Order
Chapter 2 - A Friend
Chapter 3 - Kings Row
Chapter 4 - what it could be
Chapter 5 - Rise and Shine
Chapter 6 - Dragons
Chapter 7 - The Crusader's Oath
Chapter 9 - The Iris
Chapter 10 - Ghosts
Chapter 11 - A Perilous Healer
Chapter 12 - Justice Reigns From Above
Chapter 13 - New Blood
Chapter 14 - Infiltration
Chapter 14.5 Infiltration (2)
Chapter 15 - Kanezaka
Chapter 16 - The Calm Before The Storm
Chapter 17 - A Storm Brews
Chapter 18 - Liberation
Chapter 19 - Just in Time
Chapter 20 - New Recruits
Chapter 21 - Music in Rio
Chapter 22 - Appreciation

Chapter 8 - High Noon

37 4 1
By TareqALM

The Calaveras Bar, which stands for Skulls in Spanish, at Tucson Arizona hosted a Halloween party last night and Jesse Mcree, who loves to drink, was at the bar for the booze. The party lasted all night long with drinks everywhere and a few drunken brawls. It was hilarious for Mcree to see people dressed in costumes fighting among themselves. Because he is a heavy drinker, he woke up the next morning drooling on one of the tables in a corner booth. He is a middle-aged man with tan skin and shoulder length-brown hair. Even though it's unusual for him, he did dress up for last night's party and was wearing a Van Helsing outfit with a black leather trench coat, shoulder strap with ammunition and a black cowboy hat. Underneath the outfit, he is wearing a silver armor and a left prosthetic arm. The events of last night are still foggy but he does remember shooting at some bottles in a Mexican standoff and saying the phrase "it's Full Moon" just to match his outfit.

He propped his head up and noticed that on the table below his arm was a piece of paper folded in half. He shook his head in attempt to wake himself up but it just gave him a headache. He grunted and opened the letter and gave a quick read before folding it and putting in his pocket. He picked up a bottle that was on the table and raised it only to realize it was empty. He needed something to quench his thirst. He grunted as he realized he need to get up to get some before a glass suddenly slid across the table. Mcree picked up the glass and nodded "much obliged" before taking a sip.

Halfway through his sip he realized that no one was ahead of him. He started coming to and looked around to find a clock on the wall that pointed to 9:00 in the morning. He was 2 hours late for a meeting he has set up to gather intel. He grunted and took another sip from the glass when a figure appeared from thin air across his table.

"What's good cowboy?" said the figure.

She is a young Mexican woman with a slender build and tan skin. She has dark hair but has a pink wig on that's shaved on one side. Her face is dyed with green in what Mcree understood to be a celebration of the day of the dead. She's wearing a black ombre suit under a black and purple coat with wide collar. Mcree spilled a bit of his water from the surprise but tried to keep his composure.

"Heh, did I scare you?"

"Not exactly... thanks for the water but... who are you?"

"Me? I'm a nobody. But also, somebody with information"

"Hmm I'm guessing you are the one they refer to as Sombra? Can't say I'm convinced" Mcree said as he looked at her dissatisfied.

"Jesse Mcree... or should I say Cole Cassidy, since that's your real name. I see Blackwatch hasn't really been good to you" she said as she pointed at his metal arm.

Mcree's eyebrow shot up in surprise of hearing his real name and hearing the name of the covert ops division of Overwatch that was never public information. A few seconds passed before his eyebrow's rested again and he believed she is who she says she is. Sombra is a well-known hacker that works in the shadows. No one really knows anything about her or her background. She has hacked corporations, politicians, and even governments. Modern day hacking devices are obsolete compared to her cybernetic hacking prosthetics. She is excellent at gathering intel but the cost of information is never free. Mcree took a look around the bar to see several people passed out and none that would be able to overhear their conversation. He also knew that Sombra would have been careful not to have her information overheard. He tried to move his prosthetic arm closer to his revolver but his arm was refusing to move. He looked up to see her left hand in a peculiar position in the air. He realized she has hacked his prosthetic.

"Not so fast amigo. I don't fully trust you to move that arm close to your gun"

"Fine, let's cut to business, you know what I want. What will it cost?"

Sombra smirked and replied "here". She took pulled out a small map her coat and slid it across the table and continued "for now... nothing. I'm just looking for a friend now. So, I'm thinking, I help you now and, one day, you help me out when I need it. What do you say?"

Mcree knew there is a twist in this transaction. However, given what he's after, he can't afford to take too long as time was running out.

"Deal"

He looked at the map which had a few scribbles on it. He read it quickly and looked up at Sombra. "This train is in 2 hours!"

"You are the one who overslept. Adios mijo" replied Sombra and became invisible.

Mcree had control over his prosthetic once more. He moved it to assess if anything has changed in how it feels. While focused on his arm, Sombra reappeared but, this time, was walking away from the table.

She turned around and said "I may or may have not shared the information with someone who may or may not be planning on blowing up the train"

"Now why would you do that?" asked Mcree.

"You never turn down a good offer"

She disappeared again and Mcree was left alone with a map to get to route 66 to intercept this train, for he knew that the only gang that would be dumb enough to blow a train in transit just to loot it is the Deadlock Gang. The gang is led by the Ashe, a classy attractive slender middle-aged woman that comes from a rich family in Texas and whom is very well known in the criminal underworld. She dyes her hair white and always has her modified omnic butler by her side, whom she refers to as BOB. Mcree was a part of this clan before he got caught and given the choice to either rot in a cell or join overwatch. It would be safe to assume that Ashe did not take it really well that Mcree had left the gang and joined the other side.

The location at which the deadlock gang would execute their plan was also marked on the map that Sombra provided. It is a good thing it was close by and Mcree had time to change into another outfit as he reeked of alcohol, probably from having tequila spilled all over him the previous night. He's now wearing a dirty brown cowboy hat, a tan shirt, brown pants, dark cowboy boots, gloves, and a tattered red shawl. He looked at himself in the mirror and gave himself a good old cowboy hat tilt before heading out.

The train would pass over the canyon and above a Diner on a cliff. Mcree arrived at the Diner before noon and, knowing what is going to happen soon, asked everyone to evacuate. It took a bullet to the ceiling to get everyone moving and run out of the place. Once The place was clear, he walked over to the jukebox, put a coin in and chose a song. He then went up to the counter and took a slice of apple pie, plate, fork and put them on a table in a nearby booth. Just before he sat down, he took out white oval shaped piece of tech from his pocket and held it in front of his eyes. It must have brought back great memories as it brought a smile to his face. He sat down and started enjoying his dessert to kill time until the train is blown up.

(for the showdown, please watch the reunion video of overwatch cinematics)

(the events that follow next will be from the last part of the video when Mcree opens the pod)

The pod contained a highly intelligent evolutionary robot programmed with a rapidly adapting artificial intelligence, versatile enough to fill multiple battlefield combat roles. She went by the name Echo as she was able to reconfigure herself on the fly to adapt to new situations. Dr Mina Liao was the scientist who created Echo with the help of Overwatch. She was reluctant in building a sophisticated machine again since she was the scientist who created the first omnics at Omnica Corp. However, she agreed to work on this project under the leadership of Jack Morrison and Gabriel Reyes. After thousands of hours in the scientist's presence, much of Liao's behaviors, including her speech, were adopted by the Echo robot. Mcree was assigned to watch over and protect the scientist. The more Echo evolved, the more she resembled Liao and as her sentience developed, she began to question her place in the world. Unfortunately, Dr Liao was killed in an attack on an Overwatch facility and Overwatch's leadership was reluctant to continue pursuing such a dangerous project without its progenitor. After Overwatch shut down, the United States government took possession of the Echo robot. Even though Echo's evolution is complete and has now gained her own consciousness, she still remains in quarantine.

Mcree took the small piece of white tech from his pocket and placed it on Echo's chest. As she powered up, a holographic face started to form.

"Hey there cowboy," said Echo

Mcree smiled as he heard his long friend's voice again and lowered his hand. "Welcome back... partner"

He laid out a hand to help her rise, even though she doesn't need one because she can easily fly. She stood up and was surprised to see his left prosthetic arm. Out of concern, she asked "How long has it been? What happened?"

"it's been too long, and that's a story for another time... They are getting the band back together and they've called me, but what they really need is you"

"Hmmm, does that mean you're not coming back?" said Echo sounding a tad sad.

Mcree turned around walking toward a hoverbike. "I have got some business to attend to, you know your way to the team, don't you? The recall order came from London. Say hi to the monkey for me"

"Monkey?"

"Scientist. Whatever" said Mcree as he laughed.

He turned the ignition on the bike and drove off. He looked into his side mirror to see Echo waving goodbye at him. His smile faded as she was out of view. Further down the road, he drove past the deadlock gang, upsetting Ashe once again when she recognized Mcree has taken her bike. He laughed and tilted his hat at her before starting to talk to himself.

"Come on Mcree. The job's done, but now you are actin' like you got something to think about. Something to go back to. When you could be riding off into that sunset. With all that's happening these days in the world...Something's comin'--something big. Are you the kind of man who turns tail when the thunder rolls? No, sir. Maybe I will go back, do what I did before, and work with them again. But I have to settle this score first. World's goin' straight to hell. And now this note I woke up to in the morning. You'll get to that sunset Mcree...But not today."

As he thought of this new score he has to settle, he pulled out the piece of paper he found under his arm this morning and read it again.

Charmer, time to talk. 30.0444° N, 31.2357° E

He was surprised to receive this letter from her, as everyone assumed she was dead. More importantly, he was annoyed that these coordinates are halfway across the globe in Cairo, Egypt.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

11.4K 383 21
• • -The fear of the future...
145K 1.9K 52
Hi there! I'm new to this app and am unleashing my deepest, darkest fantasies into my writing. I will be taking requests and genuinely hope you enjoy...
222K 3.3K 112
Want to know what your life is like with your dream Overwatch character then you have come to the right place hope you enjoy in. Also new to this so...
50.5K 1.4K 40
Y/N is an assassin within the Overwatch team. Once asked to join a mission to eliminate omnics hurting mankind, she changes. Her sudden abduction dur...