Stubborn and the Mutt

By myleftbootie

Copyrighted 2023 A stubborn brown girl who wants nothing to do with him, and will make sure he knows just how... More

zero | introduction
one | new year's
two | the ride
three | friend
four | mate
five | actress
six | botanical garden 1
seven | botanical garden 2
eight | again
nine | dominance
ten | forest
eleven | tears
twelve | his comfort
thirteen | if we get there
fourteen | my way
fifteen | his proof
sixteen | his wolf
seventeen | the pack
eighteen | his approach
nineteen | the feeling
twenty | the feeling, again
twenty one | his history
twenty two | a new babe
twenty three | little red riding hood
twenty four | dates
twenty five | the call
twenty six | Micah
twenty seven | reveal
twenty eight | lucky
twenty nine | Malacai
thirty | the third kiss
thirty one | that night
thirty two | bff
thirty three | kisses and authority
thirty four | frozen milk
thirty five | request
thirty six | ceremony
thirty seven | his need
thirty eight | the invite
thirty nine | the dinner
forty | collarbone
forty one | her father
Forty two | after that
forty three | mate x2
forty four | worthy
forty five | the moon
forty six | the moon x2
forty eight | the truth
Forty nine | glow
fifty | forever mine
his perspective
New book
book two [?]

forty seven | ily, Gert

802 51 9
By myleftbootie

I'm not too sure what frightens me more; the day-mare I joke woke from, or Andrea's face damn near hovering over mine. My hand instinctively clutches onto my chest, and with my left, I shove her away, getting a loud laughter from her.

"Andrea! You can't do that!"

"You were so far gone, girl, I—" she laughs once again as I get to a sitting position. "I didn't have a choice but to make sure you're not dead. I told you I'd be here at one. I find you sleeping?"

"I was having a nap, okay? I set an alarm."

Without hesitation, she takes hold of my phone from the table and shows it to me. "Which one, the one that didn't set? Maybe you set the time for one, tomorrow? How about one in the morning?"

The groan that leaves me is not woman-like. "I'm sorry. But we can go now. I have my stuff, my dress. I packed some make-up. I have everything." My hand motions towards the small luggage.

Andrea grins and heads towards the door, exactly where my bags are. "I'll give you a moment to gather yourself as I take your stuff out. Five minutes, Gert, and we leave."

Nodding, I watch her leave my bedroom and close the door gently behind her, and when I'm left to myself, I sigh heavily before laying back down on my back, tired eyes staring up at the ceiling.

It's been just a few days since I had this nightmare... day-mare? The same thing happens every time; I'm with my mum and Lerato in the car, a fat conversation is happening with fits and giggles, and then... it ends like how it always did. I've overcome the grief, I'd like to believe, so the dreams shouldn't be happening anymore. I shouldn't still wake up frightened, heart aching and overcome by sadness.

A couple of more minutes are spent by me staring at the ceiling, gathering my thoughts before I decide to get up. The first stop I make is the bathroom, to pee. The second is my room, for my phone and charger, and then I'm headed downstairs.

There's my dad in the kitchen, stirring something in the pot. He only spares me a glance, but speaks up. "Chicken soup. A bit chilli but it's nice."

"Well, I hope you enjoy it, papa." My feet carry me to the small pantry, slightly trembling hands dig into an opened chips packet, and my fingers pull out just a small amount of chips before shoving them in my mouth.

"So, you're leaving."

"I'll be back tomorrow." I confirm through a stuffed mouth.

My father only hum, then turns around to look at me properly. It's only now that I notice the walking stick, leaning besides him against the counter.

"I thought you were done using it."

"My leg was a bit stiff today." He simply explains, tapping the left leg subconsciously. "Just to be safe, I decided to use it."

I can only nod, and very quickly, we're standing looking at each other in silence — minus the stove of course. I shrug a bit, breaking eye contact as I look around the kitchen. It's a bit awkward; again, we haven't spoken about what happened, and I'm not sure if I should say something now or just let it be.

Besides, Andrea said 5 minutes so, I don't think it's enough time. She's probably marching up to the house now, ready to call me out.

"I love you, Gertrude."

Well, that beyond takes me by surprise. My wide eyes shoot right back to him, lips gaping like a fish as I try to comprehend or even formulate a word in response.

"I wanted to say that. I think I don't tell you that enough. I worry you think I don't love you, or I don't care about you."

"I... it's fine papa. I think it's just the way we go." I smile. "I love you too, you know this."

As his response, he walks over to me and pulls me in his embrace. It still stuns me, but I willingly hug him back because, when last did I receive one or even hug him myself? His embrace is tight, reassuring with the way he lightly rubs my back, and with the two taps on my shoulder blade, we pull apart, instantly smiling at each other.

"Have fun, my child, and be safe. Call me when you've arrived."

Last I remember, he forbid me traveling with Andrea or anyone else; that he'd be the one taking me. I'm not questioning it though, even if I find it a tad bit weird.

"Thanks, papa."

***

"And... there." Andrea mutters softly, releasing my face after examining the flower she's placed in the bun at the top of my head. There's a grin that lifts from her red coated lips. "Oh my goodness? It matches so well!"

Nervously, I step from her and head to the bathroom mirror. Indeed, the flower on my head matches the dress. The light makeup on my face adds such a simple but wonderful touch to the look, and the small diamond earrings (possibly fake but I can't complain because I can't afford), finishes the look all too perfectly.

"Wow."

"Right?" Andrea steps from behind me. "You're literally gorgeous! It's once a while I get to see you look beyond basic."

My eyes shift to her green ones. They look a whole lot brighter with the red dress she has on. "Because it's not everyday I get to play dress up. You look so good, by the way? The dress compliments your eyes."

Andrea, flicking her red hair (to be fair, lately it's been getting a lot darker, like a red brown), giggles as she bats her eyes. "Yeah, we'll, my man will be seeing me in this and taking it off of me, I need to look tempting."

"And tempting, you are." I grin. "So do we go downstairs now or?"

"Yes, it should be starting soon. We're actually going to have to leave out the kitchen and go round, so we see the entire thing when everyone else does. But before we do, we need pictures!"

The girl grabs my hand and quite literally drags me out the bathroom and into the room, the very same room we were in when I was invited for dinner with Micah's parents. She takes hold of her phone from the bed and pulls me towards the window.

In the distance, the sun is about finished setting, leaving the sky with such an amazing orange-purple hue lingering with clouds perfectly radiating it all. Considering just yesterday was the full moon, I'm sure the moon will still be high and bright today.

Andrea lifts the camera to a good angle, and when we position ourselves to our liking, she snaps away.

And... we share an intentionally unintentional kiss. Well, she pecks me on the lips and takes the picture, but I don't think much of it. Surprised, sure, but I giggle away and think it's just a cute picture.

Essentially, we leave the room with giggles and stuff.

After exiting the kitchen, we manage to round the entire house and its size, then make it to the front door. There, a large group of people stand, perhaps also waiting for the doors to be open and everyone to be allowed in. In come the nerves, as I examine them; they look so good. The men look clean with their suits and such, the woman look beautiful with their various of dresses. The more Andrea and I walk into the crowd, the more I'm hit with different expensive perfume scents.

They look so good. They smell good, too.

Finally, the doors are opened and the entire pack all walk in simultaneously. We're all then lead to the back of the house, presumably where the ball would take place, and I am literally swooning and amazed at the decor.

Very fancy, over the top. Balloons filled with helium are tied down to podiums. There's an entire black small stage just by the one side of the house, below the staircase and balcony. There's then an entire gap of space, before chairs covered in black cloth are surrounding round tables with black cloths. The decors on the tables are so pretty, though I can't exactly see them in detail.

There's music now playing; the language is foreign but the melody is calming. Already, a few pack members fill up the open space and sway about to the music.

Let's not forget the moon high and bright. Despite having lights set up in various of places, the full moon gives off such an amazing white glow throughout the garden and towards the forest. It's so bright, I think if we had a power outage for whatever reason, the moon would still provide that much light.

That, but regardless, the wolves of this pack would still not have much of a problem seeing in the dark.

Andrea grins and squeezes my hand. "It's so good? They went with a dark theme this time around, and I am here for it!"

"This is so pretty."

"You're absolutely going to love the buffet area!"

Immediately, I side her her, then I smile, though deep down? I'm not too excited. The last time I ate here, they had meat that was still alive. I get it, they are part animal, but I'm fully human and I love my food prepared properly, especially the meat.

We both linger around the corner, chatting up now and again in between Andrea greeting a few people. The few people she greets also greet me. I don't fail to notice how each and every one of them look down at my collarbone, seeing something beyond the partially faded bite mark I have.

They know, is what I tell myself repeatedly. They know, it's just a matter of confirmation.

Soon enough, everyone comes to a standstill and face in a particular direction. Considering I am short, I can't exactly see past the various of heads at what everyone else is looking at, but Andrea informs me that it's the pack leaders making an entrance.

We then move somewhere closer towards the middle. That's when I first see Abraham and his wife, Mariah. They both dress to match and neatly so. We even see her medium sized belly; her one hand is always rubbing the one side of it. Up climbs a few elder men that I am not too familiar with. Three, to be specific. Then, I see Micah and Sarah, both holding hands as the step onto the stage. I don't analyse the boy since my attention then shifts to Matthew and Andrew. The one is serious, the other has a cheeky grin as he waves and winks at a few people here and there.

With my own smile, I shake my head and roll my eyes.

Abraham is the first to step up and raise his hand, almost as if summoning the attention and silence of the entire pack. He clearly doesn't need a mic nor does he have one, but of course, I remind myself that these people have amazing ears. The rest on stage have their seats, on black fancy chairs.

I mean, I can't argue; he looks good. He cleans up well. His dress shirt fits him good and his hair compliments his eyes. It's clear, once again, where Micah gets his looks from. Perhaps the personality too, almost, because there's an aura radiating off the the Alpha of the pack that his own son carries.

"We lift our honour and praise to Moon Goddess Luna," he looks up and points subtly at the full moon, "who graces us with another year to celebrate her creation and our existence. The one who chose us to be who we are, where we are, and to live up to a legacy, and to continue it for another millennium."

Everyone, and I mean everyone, cheers and howls in praise. It takes me by surprise a bit, but I eventually clap with a smile. And mind me, when I step on my toes in my flats and look towards the back, the amount of beings I see is beyond counting. The entire pack is here.

"Today, we celebrate each other. We honour each other. We remind ourselves that we are a pack, a pack of peace and love. A pack that has not gone to war over the past decade because we pride ourselves to not fight an unnecessary fight, fight along side oppressors, and protect ourselves at all costs, until the day Luna sees us fit to take a stand in war."

Yet again, they cheer on.

"Today, we feast with each other. We dine with each other in gratitude of the food Luna has given us, that of which she has provided for centuries. We dine with each other as family, friends, mates. Chosen by the Luna."

Well, that excludes me I guess. But again, they cheer and applaud.

"Lastly," Abraham pauses as the pack settles down once again. "I announce, today we celebrate with my son, Micah, and the journey he will conquer, by the grace of Moon Goddess Luna." Abraham spares Micah a glance, of whom, with the bit I can see, simply nods his head but really has very little of a reaction.

"I call us all to come forth before the pack, share words of wisdom and encouragement."

Everyone seated on stage get up and approach the front line. Mariah is the first to have a say. Her beauty isn't what grabs my attention, though. It's her second born, her son.

It's almost like a scene from a movie, just the way it seemed to be happening. The way he stands there, nodding with a gentle smile as his mother praises everyone for coming to the function, and honoured them and their attire. He stands there as the spotlight hits him from the back and front. The front makes his eyes shine like the ocean, like diamonds on display that seemed hard to resist. The back lights almost seemed like he had some sort of halo effect on him. He looks almost magistical, mysterious and like something no one has seen before.

I mean, everyone up there has the same effect going on but he just looks even more magical.

The smile, the stance, the confidence. He is confident, and not in a cocky way. He was made to be an alpha, that much is clear now than ever before. He is proud of it, too, and I think that just assures his pack. Even the way his father, off to the side, stands with his one hand in his pocket and the other just rubbing his chin, watches his son as he speaks — yeah, basically it's Micah's turn to speak now — with such authority and yet enthusiasm before the crowd. Or his mother, proudly grinning at her son by the side as well, hand on Sarah's shoulder, who clearly seems oblivious to the majesty that is, her brother.

Her alpha of a brother.

I don't know if this is what it feels like, seeing somebody for who they truly are and falling head over heels for them possibly for the first time, properly. The butterflies have long taken flight, scraping against the lining of my stomach as though eager and begging to escape their confinements. My hands literally grip the material of my dress, suddenly feeling nervous of the fact and idea that he, the one who stands before all, is... mine. My mate. My person. Goddess Luna knew what she was doing after all, pairing us.

I can't even help but grin at him. Grin at the idea of him. The idea of us. No. She didn't make me his mate. She made him my mate, and I should be honoured with my entire life.

I'd die for him. Woah, wait... too soon?

So, yes... maybe this is what love feels like.

I'm slowly brought back to reality when I hear laughter at something he said, and I watch as he runs his hand through his hair. Literaly, his eyes glow so brightly, it's almost blinding. His beauty, I feel my stomach just sink at it. He grns, saying something I fail to hear considering my staring and day dream, and I see his eyes scan the room as he continues speaking.

That's until he looks at me. That's when we make eye contact, and everything is at a stand still. His lips still move, he confidently utters words to the crowd, his pack, yet I cannot fathom what he says. He is speaking to my soul, and even if I can't hear what he's sayin, I can feel it. All because we stare at each other, and my world feels... alright. Complete. Cliche, and I thought I'd never feel this, yet here I am. I can feel my cheeks burn up, my stomach clench, and I roll my lips into my mouth. It's unreal.

Or maybe all of this is happening because of his imprint on me?

Now, I am snapped out of reality, out of my moment of staring when I feel my arm being tugged on. Not only that, but there's a round of applause taking place. I look to my left, looking up at Andrea who nudges her head as if nonverbally telling me to follow her. With a sigh, I glance back at Micah, who has stopped speaking but continues watching us, and then I follow Andrea.

With my hand in hers, she leads me through the packed crowd and to the house. Even inside, there's a few people lingering; listening, I'm sure, but prefer to be inside.

There's a round of applause and cheers happening now.

"I need a shot or something. I want to let loose." Andrea complains, flipping her hair over her shoulder. "I didn't even see my mate! I know he is here, I can smell him."

"Maybe he's with some other friends?" I answer, walking with her towards the kitchen, exactly where there are a few servants mixing up and serving drinks to a people lingering there.

Andrea simply sighs, then places an order at one of the servants before she looks at me. "Do you want anything?"

"A shot is fine."

Andrea places another order, then leans against the counter with arms crossed. It pushes up her breasts but I try by all means not to look at them. "Maybe. He's not even responding to my mind-link, which is weird because he always does."

The crowd outside makes a round of applause. It's only now, than ever before, that I actually wonder what the neighbours think of the noise, the amount of people on this plot. It makes me realise that this land is quite big, and fair enough, they need the space in order to keep their privacy, but I wonder if they've ever received a noise complaint of sort.

"Don't worry too much about it, Drea."

"I guess... urgh, he's annoying. He's like a father." The babe rolls her green eyes, then takes the two shots placed before her and hands me one. "He likes to baby me until I actually need babying."

At first, I chuckle at her, watching as she downs her drink, and I follow suit. Then, the word rings a bell. "I didn't call my father. Do you have your phone?"

"Upstairs."

I hand her the empty glass. "I'll be back—"

"Another one?"

"No. No getting drunk, Andrea." I can't help but smirk at her. "We're not getting drunk tonight. It's a celebration, and I want to remember tonight."

"Fine!" She exasperates and rolls her eyes yet again. "Hurry up before I get tempted. I'll wait here and try hit this boy up again."

With a nod, my feet carry me towards the staircase and I make my way to the accurate floor. Up here, it's not as loud, but there are just about three girls by the end of the corridor, perhaps wanting to use the restroom. I make my way inside the room — Micah's, since Gert insisted my belongings are safe in his room — but leave the lights off since the moon is doing it's... her thing, close the door just enough, then dig in my bags for my phone. After retrieving it, I unlock the screen and dial my father's number.

Within three rings, he answers. "Gertrude?"

"Hey papa. I completely forgot to call you to let you know that I arrived safe." I move towards the window and peep outside. It's the back side of the house, and when I glance down, I can see quite a handful of people, though the set up must be a room or two away down there. "I did, though. And... yeah they started. It's nice."

"As long as you are safe, my wonderful child."

It doesn't confuse me, but it does take me by surprise. He isn't one to refer to me as such but, I also can't exactly complain. It sounds nice.

I place my hand against the cool window, then turn it so the back of my hand feels the sensation as well. "Thanks, papa. And that side? How are you there?"

"I'm fine. I just finished eating, I'm watching a soccer match and then I'll be going to sleep just now."

"Okay... well I hope you sleep well."

"Thank you, my child. As well as you. You'll be with Andrea, right? Sleeping with her."

"Ahm..." my lips roll in my mouth, and with the perk of my ear at the slight sound in the room, I turn around towards the door. There Micah is, resting his back against the now closed door. "Yes, papa."

"That's good. I just want you to be safe. I know you have a boyfriend but... I just want you to be wise, Gertrude. Don't sleep with him. I know how boys are."

"Yes, daddy." I mutter. Only because Micah, who obviously can hear everything my father is saying, locks the door by his side and pushes himself off the door before approaching me.

Approach? It's more like I'm some prey and he's the predator, the way he causally, slowly walks towards me, almost as though calculating his steps and my possible reaction.

I only turn around and face the window again.

"Good. Good. Okay. So, yes, thank you for calling. No, I'm good this side. I'm fine. So I'll see you when you come home."

"Yes, papa. You'll—" I freeze momentarily, feeling Micah's arms wrap around my torso. His head drops to my shoulder and easily, softly, he places around my jugular. "We'll... ahm, we'll see each other when I come back home."

"Okay. Goodnight, then, Gertrude."

"Goodnight, papa."

I quickly hang up, smiling before manoeuvring in his hold, so I'm now facing him. "You were so good on that stage? Oh my word, the light made you look like some Angel! Or celebrity or something." I'm grinning.

Micah smiles, softly, but I guess his eyes says enough. "Really?"

"I'm telling you. Did you guys hire photographers? It would have been nice if you guys did."

"We didn't, but maybe next time we will." His left hand lifts up to my neck, right under my jaw, and lifts my head up some more. "You looks so beautiful, Gertrude. Honestly."

"Yeah well, I have Andrea to thank. She knows a thing or two about a thing or two. And she's the one who suggested the flower." I lower my head as much as he allows me, to show him the flower.

"A nice touch."

"Right? She's wise."

Micah hums, then lifts my head back up. His hand lowers from the jaw to my neck. It's not the tightest of holds, but it's firm and has a sense of authority behind it.

"I'm announcing you officially as my mate today, in front of the pack."

"I feel like high-key, they know." I chuckle. "I've been getting looks since I left the room earlier."

"You weren't uncomfortable, right?"

"Not really, no."

See, really, we're having a light conversation of sort, but his eyes are telling me something else. He's not exactly here, or maybe, this isn't what he wants to even speak about. His eyes... there's something behind them. It's raw, but I can't decipher it. Even the way he bites now bottom lips as he looks from one of my eyes, to the other, and then my lips, before going back to the first eye.

I giggle, feeling myself becoming shy under his gaze. My hands have now wrapped around his own torso. "What?"

"I love you, Gert."

Oh. I shouldn't be taken back but I definitely am. I wasn't expecting it. Well, not so early in the night. So my heart thumps inside my ribcage, the butterflies in my gut lift up. My checks flush up, and I guess I can say thanks to my melanin, it doesn't show, but he's a wolf with a great vision, maybe he can sense the blood rushing to my cheeks.

But before I could say anything, he immediately captures my lips with his. Of course, I close my eyes at the sweet kiss and kiss him back harder. Greedily so, but he is the one to lead it. From the way his tongue enters my mouth and tangos with my own muscle, to the way his hand holding my throat makes sure I don't pull away.

At least, for that time being, because suddenly, I'm facing the window with both palms pressed against the cold glass.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 64.2K 35
Cassandra Rivers is the daughter of the Alpha of the Blue Moon Pack. On the night of the Moon dance Cassandra is dragged along by her brother , who i...
28.3K 2K 18
Now published on Amazon under the title Love Rejected - Love Found A Peace Bringer story http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0186GYXSO?*Version*=1&*ent...
137K 6.4K 25
"What am I?" She croaks, indicating to her white fur and four legs. I smiles,"Sweetheart, your a werewolf." She growls,"No I'm not." I bow my head,"O...
233K 12.7K 51
Jasmine and Megan have always been best-friends since childhood. Now that they are older, they are both YouTube sensations who live together. The pro...