𝓢𝓮𝓮 𝓜𝓮

By jackssfox

What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place alm... More

Playlist
𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓇𝒶𝒸𝓉𝑒𝓇𝓈
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41

Prologue

50.8K 1.1K 3.3K
By jackssfox

EMMALINE LEILA WARNER

5 years old:

"I want to give him that!" I beam as I show my drawing to my mum, throwing the coloring crayons away as I stand up.

"Oh?" Mum tilts her head, her eyes still on my drawing, "why?"

"Because he's my best friend and I love him!" I say lowering my drawing and looking behind me to find him. He sat on the dining table with uncle James playing with puzzle. I hated puzzles. They are so confusing and boring. But for some reason Kai loves them, so I don't want to interrupt him.

"Love who?" Dad's voice turned my attention to him. He came in from the kitchen and sat next to mum on the couch, still looking at me for an answer.

"Kai!" I smile.

"Excuse me?" His eyebrows lower, and a line forms between them, "why do you love him?"

I cross my arms still holding my drawing, "I can't tell you."

"Really?"

"Yup," I look away and sit back on the floor waiting for uncle James to finish the puzzle with Kai so I can give him my drawing.

"Hey," Uncle Kenji said to dad from the chair in front of me, "stop glaring at my kid."

"I'm not glaring," dad said calmly and leaned forward, his eyes never leaving Kai, "I'm simply observing."

"Observe something else," Uncle Kenji replied before smiling, "it's not Kai's fault he's lovable. It runs in the genes."

"Please," dad rolled his eyes, "your kind should have ended ages ago—"

"My kind?!"

I sighed as they continued going back and forth. They argued more than I did with any of my friends. Losers.

"Hey," my mum's whisper snapped my head up, "look."

She nodded her head to Kai's direction. He was done with his puzzle, drinking Juice as Uncle James messed with his hair. I grinned at my mum before making my way to him, toning my dad's threat to French braid Uncle Kenji's nervous system out.

"Hey, kiddo," Uncle James smiled and I hugged him, "what is that you got?"

"It's not for you," I hugged the paper to my chest, "go away."

"Woah," he chuckled, before dramatically putting his hand on his chest, "I'm hurt."

"You'll get over it," I said and pulled on his sleeve, "now leave. Go sit with the adults."

"Okay. Okay," he raised his hands in surrender, "no need to be mean about it."

I waited until he was out of sight before climbing up the chair next to Kai, "hey!"

"Hi," he replied quietly, "what is that?"

"A drawing," I smiled, "for you."

"Me?" He frowned.

"Yeah," I laid the paper on the table in front of us, "remember when you said you wanted us to visit the highest place on earth? So that we could see the whole world from up there?"

"Yeah," he replied, pulling the drawing towards him to see it better.

"Well, this is us doing just that," I clapped my hands together, "one day we're going to do this! I promise."

"You won't be scared?" His eyebrows shot up, "wouldn't want to hold your hand the whole time while you cry for help."

"Me? Scared?" I rolled my eyes, "no way. Plus, I won't let you do it alone and have all the fun."

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

11 years old:

"Kai, move closer," my mum waved a hand as the other held the camera. I kept my smile up when I looked to my right even when my mouth started hurting. Kai was standing next to me, but mum was right; he was too far, he wouldn't fit in the same frame as me.

He was looking down, his hands shoved in his sweater's pockets. I heard him sigh before he took a tiny step towards me. I chuckled, "come on! It's your birthday!"

"Fine," he huffed and moved closer as I linked my arm to him. I tiled my head and just as mum's finger was going to press on the camera I felt Kai's figure getting slightly taller. I looked down to see him on his tiptoes, and he still was shorter than me.

"Oh my god," I laughed, "is that why you didn't want to stand next to me?"

"Shut up," he murmured, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"It's fine, it's fine," I chuckled, "I'll try to seem shorter for you. Consider it a birthday gift!"

He rolled his eyes, "I'm not short."

"Mhm," I tried to not giggle.

"Stop talking and smile," he put his arm around my shoulder and pulled me in a little, "plus, how come you're insulting me in my own birthday?"

I held my breath, trying to hold my smile as my mum took the photo. The camera flashed blinding my eyes, a polaroid coming out of it a second later. My mum giggled showing Aunt Naz and Uncle Kenji the photo.

"Well," I sighed, "I can't help it. It's so fun messing with you."

"Really?" He arched an eyebrow, "well, one day I'm going to be really really tall, so much taller than you, and we'll see who's laughing then."

"Please," I scoffed, "you? Tall? In one sentence? Make it make sense—"

I was cut off by my own yelp as Kai tickled my rips and I jumped away from him, "hey!"

"Say that again," Kai laughed, his fingers still tickling me as I gasped between laughs, "what was that?"

"Stop!" I giggled and ran around the couch as he chased after me, "I swear, Kai! I will— oh!"

I gasped as he grabbed my waist and tackled me to the ground, "apologize."

"Nope," I huffed, trying to calm my breath.

"Emmaline," he always called me that. Emmaline. Never Emma, Em, or any nickname. Just Emmaline. Which was fine, it's my name. But it was still weird.

"Won't happen," I shook my head pushing him off of me.

"Fine," he stood up, cleaning his clothes, "just remember this moment, because the minute I'm taller than you, it's over for you."

"Yeah, sure," I rolled my eyes and got up, "but enough about that, let's go open your presents! You're finally 12!"

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

13 years old:

I sat on the swing, lightly swaying back and forth, with the only sound around being the metal grinding against itself. It was odd to have no other noises, no birds chirping or people talking, nothing but me and the rhythmic creaking of the chains. That was, until, I heard a soft snap behind me. I paused, and turned to look.

Kai stood a few feet away, still in his hoodie and sweatpants from earlier when he locked himself in his room, one hand was shoved in his pocket as the other held a cupcake. He didn't like them, so I knew it was for me. It was sweet of him. I didn't care. I sharply turned my head away, gripping the chains of the swing until I felt my knuckles hurt.

"So you're not talking to me?" He said in a calm voice, as if he was truly waiting for an answer. Was he serious?

When I didn't respond, I felt him walk towards me without saying anything, simply stopping the swing with his hand holding the chain just inches above her own hand. I remained silent, though, and looked anywhere but at him, refusing to acknowledge his presence or his gesture. Even when he stopped the swing, I didn't try to re-start it, simply letting it stand still in the air.

"Emmaline," I clinched my jaw and before I realized I was lifting my head to look up at him. I couldn't even tell what he was feeling. Was he feeling guilty? Annoyed? Upset with the whole thing? I don't know.

"Today was really important to me," I simply said. I didn't want to talk to him, but it hurt. And I needed to tell him that. I needed him to know that.

"I know," he sighed and looked down for a moment before taking a sharp breath and sitting on the swing next to mine, "that's why I'm here."

"Everyone was there today," I whispered tugging on my sleeves, "and I mean everyone, Kai."

It was sudden and shocking, but at the same time it was what I have been waiting for. I got my powers today. I was terrified at first, I didn't know what was happening. Because it is not normal for a book to fly across the room by itself, and it's definitely not normal for me to be the one that caused that. I can move things with my mind, with just a thought. It was so awesome, and yet the only person I felt excited to tell, the only person I wanted to be happy for me, wasn't there. Because he chose not to be.

"Emmaline, I know I messed up, okay?" He said, "I have no excuse to what happened, but I want to make it up to you. I'm really sorry."

"Well a cupcake won't make up for it."

"I know, I..." he hesitated, "I was selfish, and I was jealous when all I should have been was happy and excited for you. I was just... I don't understand why it still didn't happen to me. I wanted to be there for you. God, I wanted to be the one who threw that freaking party for you."

I bit the inside of my cheek as he went on. I could hear the hurt in his voice, the anger. I didn't know if it was anger towards me or towards himself, and honestly I was scared to find out.

"Listen," his hand grabbed mine, pulling it away from gripping my other one, the swing turned slightly with the motion, "I'm sorry. The thought of me hurting you is worse than I imagined. I didn't realize it today but when I cleared my head now, I was terrified that you'd actually hold this as a grudge against me forever. This is important for you, so it's important for me. The hell with my powers now. This is your day. So please forgive me. Just this once."

He squeezed my hand when I didn't reply, his eyes never leaving mine. I didn't know how, or if it is even possible but I could see his brown eyes full of regret, I could feel it. His expression seemed helpless. I wanted to wipe it away, I didn't like seeing him like this. No, scratch that. I don't think I ever saw him like this. And even though I just wanted to tell him it's okay, that I forgive him, all that came out was, "I thought you were mad at me."

His expression didn't waver except for his eyes widening a little, his head jerking back in surprise, "mad at— what?"

"I don't know," I huffed, looking back to the house, "I mean, all you said to me was 'congratulations, I'm happy for you' with that smug look on your face before locking yourself in your room. My mum and your dad threw me a party, and you didn't even spare me a glance."

"I wasn't mad at you. I was mad at myself for feeling like this. You're my best friend, Emmaline," he smiled, and my stomach twisted for some reason. He had a nice smile. A very nice one that made me feel warmth growing within me, "as pathetic as it sounds since you creeped up in my life a year after I was born and never left me alone since then, I actually like being your friend."

And just like that, my glare formed again, and I snatched my hand out of his grip, "this apology sucks."

"What do you mean?" He put a hand on his chest, "I just poured my heart out to you."

I rolled my eyes and before I could contain herself I focused for a second sending the juice box I was drinking flying and hitting his forehead causing him to groan, "woah, getting right into it huh? Give your powers a minute to kick in dude."

"Don't worry, I'll be practicing on you," I stood up and was about to leave but paused for a second, "and I'm taking the cupcake."

I snatched it out of his hand and just when I turned to go, I was being pulled back and straight into his chest as he stood up, wrapping his arms around my shoulders and whispering, "I'm sorry."

He was apologizing again. Say something. I wanted to, but I found myself holding my breath, frozen in place. I was flushed against him, and even though we've hugged like a billion times before, this felt different. I felt a rush of emotions I've never in my life felt before, not with anyone, and especially not with him. What is going on with you, Emma?

"I'm sorry you don't have your powers yet," I murmured against his chest and he tightened his hold on me which made me take in a sharp breath. Pull yourself together.

"I already told you, today is not supposed to be about me," he leaned back, "so eat your damn cupcake and let me see what those powers can do. Can you move this tree over there? Can you move a human? Can you..."

And that's how the whole night went, he asked questions, I answered them by trying my powers to test the theory until my dad came, his eyes shooting daggers at Kai, telling him it's past his bedtime and he shouldn't be disturbing neighbors authorities or he'll turn his dad in to the government for punishment.

"You are the government, Uncle," Kai called after dad as he walked us back to the house.

"Exactly."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

65.2K 1.8K 22
- Blair Wrenlee an 18 year old girl who "accidentally shifts" into the universe of her recent book, Shatter Me. Or did she? .・。...
367K 15.9K 93
"i don't want to think of anything else now that i've thought of you." - daylight. A guide on how to get the girl-disclaimer: Only follow upcoming i...
8.5K 145 7
She is the supreme commanders daughter, he is a nobody. || WILL BE HEAVILY EDITED 🏅2 in #kenjikishimoto 🏅9 in #shatterme 🏅5 in #aaronwarner
28.4K 248 19
This is a collection of little moments between characters in the Shatter Me series. I hope you enjoy!