Blood Thirsty

By MissBonnett

To save his family from financial ruin, Anthony Ventura, the least dependable of the Ventura brothers, agrees... More

Season List for Picky Eater
Ch. 1: Who's your Favorite?
Ch. 2: The Glue to this Family
Ch. 3: Don't Tell Dante
Ch. 4: It's complicated
Ch. 5: So, you are Insane
Ch. 6: I Need Blood
Ch. 7: I just Like Negotiating
Ch. 8: He Loves You
Ch. 9: Just Don't Kill Me
Ch. 10: Knox's ex-fiancé
Ch. 11: He's a problem
Ch. 12: You're a little scary
Ch. 14: Just be yourself, Anthony
Ch. 15: You should be happy
Ch. 16: Hydrangeas
Ch. 17: I like you
Ch. 18: Close the door behind you!
Ch. 19: You were made for me
Ch. 20: It won't blow up
Ch. 21: Watch out!
Ch. 22: Promise me
Ch. 23: For my next test
Ch. 24: Let me spoil you
Ch. 25: Anthony
Ch. 26: This man is mine
Ch. 27: You're early?
Ch. 28: I'm doing it for love
Ch. 29: I'll race you there
Ch. 30: Hi husband
Ch. 31: You're scaring me
Ch. 32: It's okay
Ch. 33: I'm a Feast
Ch. 34: Knox is doing well
Ch. 35: What about me?
Ch. 36: I don't want to fight
Ch. 37: Don't be a hero
Ch. 38: I have a bad idea
Ch. 39: because I said so
Ch. 40: You win

Ch. 13: This is childish

593 37 6
By MissBonnett

Pinching his nose, Anthony tried not to gag as he swallowed Knox's blood. From the source, Knox tasted like sunshine and happiness. Out of an IV bag, Knox's blood after days of sitting in a refrigerator tasted more stable than dust, tasted like the dirt at the bottom of Flynn's heel.

He stood hunched over the bathroom sink just in case he couldn't keep the old blood down. He glanced at the mirror, at the stain on his lips. His eyes were still dark, no red, but his complexion looked gray and sick. He should send Bertie to town for some make-up. No one could know the future king was weak.

There was a knock on the door. "Hello? Who is it?" Anthony asked, slightly confused. This was his personal bathroom.

"It's Knox," he said, and Anthony withheld a sigh. He'd spent the last week building up his defenses against this man. This was the true test of making sure his heart didn't waver.

"Come in." Anthony gripped the edge of the sink, watching Knox spill inside. Anthony kept his face as neutral as possible. He couldn't let Knox charm him any more than he already had. Anthony was setting himself up for failure with a man who probably didn't even keep him in his top five people of importance. Anthony couldn't keep doing this to himself. He had to save his heart for someone that was going to think he mattered.

Knox opened the door but kept his safe distance at the door of the bathroom.

"Have I done something to offend you?" Knox asked.

"No," Anthony said, which was true. Knox has done nothing out of the ordinary. He was as normal as possible. Anthony was the one with the problem. He was crazy. He threw it back at his fiancé, glancing at him through the mirror. "Why? Have you done something wrong?"

"I don't believe so, but..." Knox had donned a simple tweed blazer with brown wool pants. Anthony noticed the new watch on his wrist, its brown leather matching the rest of the ensemble. He looked as suave as a British spy and it drove Anthony crazy the way he thought it'd be fun to take it all off, piece by piece. It'd look so good on the bedroom floor too.

Obviously, Anthony's mental strength training failed.

Knox crossed his arms. "But I'm sensitive to changes. Unexpected changes make me uneasy."

Anthony didn't speak to avoid exposing himself. He stepped from the mirror, double and triple checking for any trace of blood. His lips had a tinge of extra redness, but maybe people that barely saw him wouldn't even notice. Anthony wasn't sure if it was on purpose, but Anthony and Knox matched. Anthony's suit was in a similar light brown hue. Someone might think they coordinated, which was a little much and enough grounds for someone like his sister Bianca to make fun of him.

"For one," Knox began to explain with the patience of a preschool teacher. "You've stolen my assistant. I don't know how you convinced Milan to do your dirty work."

"Dirty work implies I've done something wrong," Anthony pointed out and the smile Knox made Anthony's stomach hit the floor. He was already blushing.

"My implication stands. You're avoiding me in the halls. You tell me only at the last minute about a party at a hotel in town I've never heard of to find out it's actually somewhere else. Sounds like a wild goose chase to me. Milan, again my assistant, just told me to get ready. No other information provided. I don't like not having a concrete plan."

"You sound crazy."

"You also requested my blood in IV bags. Put on ice." Knox grimaced like his stomach was queasy. "So..." Knox lifted from the doorway, threatening Anthony by closing their distance. The air in this bathroom shifted and Anthony gripped the counter tighter. "I'll ask again. Have I done something to offend you?"

Anthony peaked at Knox's lips. Even just looking at his face gave Anthony's flashbacks to kissing on his leather couch. He was looking more at Knox's lips when he talked than his eyes. "No. This..." Anthony tore himself away and looked back at the mirror again, pretending to fix his perfectly fine curls. "This is for your convenience and the convenience of the staff that have to keep cleaning the blood out of our clothes." Anthony practiced this speech. He prepared to explain himself from all angles. One of the only good things about being similar to Knox was that Anthony knew what he'd have a problem with the most.

"And as for Milan," Anthony said. "I needed him. I can't trust my attendant. He's a spy."

Knox frowned. "I know, but my mother is just worried. Nino really upset her. She's looking out for me—"

"I'm handling it my way," Anthony cut him off. "After tonight, I think we'll have a civilized conversation and stop tiptoeing around it. We'll be married, so we have to get along somehow. Even if it's just a little bit."

Knox shook his head, seemingly giving up. The moment he was out of view, Anthony let out a sigh. He survived. All that worrying and he survived. Anthony could do this. He just needed to stay indifferent and eventually, Knox would stop thinking about him.

Suddenly, the door opened again, and Anthony jumped. With his brow narrowed, Knox appeared again to ask, "And you're being honest with me? I want..." He shook his head. "I don't want us to become a couple that doesn't talk to each other."

He said that, but he always took the words right out of Anthony's mouth.

So Anthony just nodded.

"Let's go then," Knox said and as he left, he said, "I guess I'll just have to be surprised by this party... what kind of party is this anyways?"

***

The Labyrinth was the biggest hotel Anthony could book on such short notice with the help of his name and his friend Phoebe's connections. Once the car stopped, Anthony opened the door to get out, but Knox snatched his arm.

"What is this?" Knox asked, his voice dangerously low.

"Congrats," Anthony stated. "Tonight is our engagement party." Anthony took back his arm and got out of the car. So late, the old hotel was lit up by the lamplight, the scones, and the brilliant golden light from the inside. It was all lush textiles, detailed textures, and ornate art and statues.

"This is beyond reckless," Knox almost shouted until he noticed other guests pulling up. His eyes widened the moment he realized they were the head of the neighboring coven and quickly bowed as they passed. Once they were out of sight, Knox cursed. Hurrying around the car, Knox grabbed Anthony's arm again. "There is a curfew, Anthony. You have added to the pool of vampires those monsters can take out."

As another pair of guests passed, Knox and Anthony bowed and greeted them again. Sighing out of frustration, Knox grabbed Anthony's hand and pulled him into the lobby, hiding them behind a large potted plant and lamp. "Are you done?"

"No, I am not," Knox stated, crossing his arms. "You sent my mother to the wrong location. You brought us here as if I wouldn't know about another party happening here tonight."

Anthony steeled his expression.

Of course, Knox knew about Flynn's party.

He must've been invited.

Not only was this the most esteemed hotel, it was also the place Flynn was holding his little soiree, but Anthony made sure their ballroom was bigger. He made the staff preferred to be paid a higher wage by Anthony then slum it at Flynn's party.

Anthony rolled his shoulders back and held his head high. "You forget who you're engaged to. I'm Anthony Ventura. Ventura means good fortune, so you should feel lucky to have someone that has already thought of everything."

"Everything?"

"Yes. I have already handled your entire grocery list of complaints. The coven is aware of the curfew. The guests have rooms tonight. Including us. I didn't send your mother to the wrong place. I told Bertie the wrong place and if she went there on her own, that was her choice. If she asked me about it, I would've told her the truth. But I left her with flowers as an apology for the confusion."

"What else? What about Flynn?"

"What about him?"

"This is childish," Knox said, pulling away from the conversation and from Anthony. He walked out from their hiding place but stopped halfway inside of the light to turn back around. "I will play your dutiful fiancé tonight," he said, and the fact his beautiful voice was so low with so much grit grated Anthony's ears. Knox pointed a warning finger at Anthony. "But I need your word that you won't mess with my mother again."

"I won't," Anthony whispered, truly feeling their differences in this moment, not just their height or age, but Knox's rank, his power as a vampire that makes the air thick around him, and unfortunately, his maturity. Anthony could take a hint. Knox thought he was an annoying kid. Story of his life.

Knox finally walked away, and Anthony got the feeling he got just what he wished for. That was the face of a man who would never want to kiss him ever again.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19M 586K 56
"Never call a girl a bitch," I glared into his eyes as he opened them, piercing into me, the bright blue drink I had just poured over him still dripp...
3K 179 51
kingsley may balenciaga. everyone knows her in her small town outside of knoxville tennessee. the perfect girl. with the perfect family. with the per...
563K 10.6K 36
Ruth has a past, like all children who grow up in the mafia. Perhaps this is what makes them so similar; the neglect, the abuse, it's what intertwine...
153K 21.4K 70
A flirty bartender entraps two men, an average guy and a billionaire. She's sought after by both men, who desire her. Madison Hart is outspoken, dete...