Learning to Live

Por amba9999

Sapphire loves boxing, food and cats. Being a triplet with two brothers, she learned quickly how to stand up... Más

Story Description
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 27 part 2
Part II: Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 29

2.4K 122 20
Por amba9999

"Why the hell would you punch someone who fights for a living?" I asked my brother. His split lip could've been worse, considering who punched him.

"He actually got a pretty good hook there," Matt, Scott's teammate, said. 

Hana had dragged us to a small room next to the banquet hall. It was some kind of waiting room, with a plain black couch, a table and several chairs. A first aid kit waited for us on the table. And I patched my brother up while Jason and Matt watched.

I sighed. He probably got it because Hunter let him. My brother was good and all. But Hunter was... Yeah. He was Hunter.

He'd disappeared for a couple of years after high school, then made his debut as a professional boxer, winning match after match and taking the boxing world by storm. A couple of years later, he was an undefeated champion in a couple of weight classes. Then he'd made his debut as an MMA fighter, and swept across the cage like a hurricane, emerging as an undefeated champion.

So Hunter could be considered the best fighter in the world currently.

"How do you know Jamison anyway?" Matt asked as I dabbed some ointment on Scott's split lip.

"I just do," Scott said. "Ow."

I flicked his forehead. "That's what you get for being stupid."

"It's fine. You're here to patch me up, aren't you?"

"I'm supposed to patch up animals, Scott."

"Well," Jason mumbled. "He's not that far off."

Scott glared at Jason as Matt snickered. Hana snorted to the side. I almost forgot she was here. She was standing in the corner, furiously swiping and typing on her tablet, no doubt trying to deal with the press disaster my brother's fight would cause.

I sterilized my hands and closed the first aid kit. "Jason, you should get back to your girlfriend-"

"She's not my girlfriend," Jason grumbled.

Hana and I rolled our eyes. "Your date, then," I said. "I'm going to leave. Scott, you can grab a ride with Matt or Jason, right?"

Scott pulled out a check book from his pocket, signed an empty check and gave it to Hana. "Write an appropriate amount for the charity and put it on my behalf. I'm going home, too," he told her.

Hana took the check. "I should just write myself a million dollars. As compensation for dealing with the press catastrophe your fight will cause."

"You're being dramatic," Scott said, standing to his feet.

"Dramatic?" Hana asked, raising her eyebrow and looking at Scott down her nose. A considerable feat since she was almost a foot shorter. "You'll be lucky if he doesn't sue you."

"He won't," I mumbled.

"Why?"

"Because Sapphire wouldn't like it," Jason said.

I glared at him. Hana and Matt looked at me, realization downing in their faces. Jason just had to open his big mouth.

"No," I said. "Because fighters have a reputation they need to uphold. Suing someone for a punch would make him look lame in front of MMA fans. And it'll blow this thing out of proportion and draw more attention from the public." 

Also, Hunter wasn't petty that way. Unless he'd changed after ten years, which was possible.

Hana sighed and looked at Scott. "Why couldn't you have been as smart as your sister?"

Scott grinned and winked. "I got all the looks instead."

I slapped my forehead. "Let's just go."

I was ready for this day to be over. I felt like I was run over by a truck. As we trickled out of the room, I rubbed my sternum. My heart felt sore, and there was a tightness in my chest I didn't like.

Jason and Hana went back to the event. Scott went ahead of me to the elevator. I was about to follow when Matt stopped me.

"Hey, it's been a while," he said with a warm smile.

"Yeah. How is it going?" I asked. Matt took a step closer and opened his mouth.

"Sapph! Elevator is here."

Phew. Saved by my brother. Sometimes Scott could be unexpectedly sharp. I gave Matt an apologetic smile. "We'll talk later."

He nodded and gave me a wave.

Matt had asked me out before. We'd gone on a couple of dates. But nothing more than that. I'd declined his offer for another date, and every time we met, he made it clear he would've liked to take me out again.

After seeing Hunter, I didn't particularly want to deal with him.

Scott and I took the elevator down alone.

"You okay?" Scott mumbled, leaning against the side wall.

I ignored his question. "What was that about?"

Scott shrugged and looked away. "I just didn't like seeing him here."

"Why? Because I'm here as well?" I asked. Scott pursed his lips. I shook my head. "I'm a big girl, Scott. It's been ten years, for God's sake."

"Whatever," he mumbled.

The elevator door opened, saving him from a lecture. There was no life in the underground parking lot. The lights flickered as we made our way to Scott's car, the only sound our footsteps.

We turned, and Scott's car came into view. I stopped. Next to me, Scott cursed and took a step forward. "I told you to get the fuck out of here, didn't I?"

"Scott," I said, pulling his arm back.

Hunter was leaning against Scott's car. He tucked something in his pocket and straightened, looking at me.

"Can we talk?" he asked.

I hated that the sound of his voice still made my heart stutter.

"What is there to talk about?" Scott asked, shrugging off my hold. "You think you can just waltz in here and pick up where you left off? Do you have any idea what she's been through-"

"Scott!"

My brother snapped his mouth shut. He looked back at me.

"Wait for me in the car, please," I mumbled. He set his jaw. "Scott..."

He stalked past Hunter to the car, bumping roughly into his shoulder. Hunter watched him go with a dark look.

"What did you want?" I asked, pushing my hands in my faux-fur coat.

Hunter turned to me and tucked his hands in the pockets of his slacks, rounding his shoulders. I guess some habits didn't change. I was hit by the urge to cry and smile at the same time.

I took him in. He looked bigger. Bigger than I remembered and bigger than I saw on screen. He had cauliflower ear on his left ear. There was a small scar running down his right eyebrow. His hair was longer as well, curling at his nape, and he looked... darker, angrier.

I guess I wasn't the only one who'd changed.

Hunter ran his gaze over my features. Did his expression soften, or was it just my wishful thinking? I must be delusional.

Hunter opened his mouth. Then closed it. He looked to the side and blew out a deep breath.

"I'd like to see you again."

I blinked. He'd like to see me again? I had no idea how to take those words. I shook my head. "What- what do you mean? You'd like to see me again as in..."

"Dating."

I snorted. I couldn't help it. It was probably mean and rude. But I just couldn't help it. A twinge of regret pricked my gut when I saw the flash of hurt in his eyes.

"How exactly did you think this conversation was going to turn out, Hunter?" I asked.

He squared his shoulders and looked me straight. "You're not seeing anyone, are you?"

"That's not the point," I said, growing angry. "You can't just waltz into my life and pick up where we left off. It's been ten years. I'm not some- some house you can leave and come back to whenever you like."

His jaw clenched. "I know. Believe me, I know."

"I don't think you do." I shook my head. Why the hell was I even having this conversation? "Goodbye, Hunter."

I walked past him. His hand shot out and grabbed my arm, his grip gentle. My breath froze, and I kept my eyes firmly on the car where Scott was glaring daggers at him. Even through the thick fur, Hunter's warmth seeped through, catapulting me into a time where I would've been exhilarated to be this close to him. Now, it just... hurt.

How could it still hurt? I'd thought I was over it. I'd thought I was over him.

"How about we start off as friends," he said. "I'm not asking you for anything else. Just let me be in your life. Give me a chance."

I shook my head and pulled my arm out of his grip. "You're too late, Hunter." Ten years too late.

I strode to the car, feeling the weight of his gaze on my back. My hand was on the door handle when he spoke.

"I'll see you later, Sapphire."

Without another glance, I got into the car and drove off. I was proud of myself for not even taking a look in the rearview mirror.

Scott was mostly quiet for the ride to my place.

We were at a red light, the traffic was beginning to thin out. How dare he? Did he think I was going to jump in his arms after all these years? I wasn't that desperate. And I sure as heck wasn't the same person he left.

How did he even think it was okay to just appear and ask me out, as if we'd been in each other's lives all this time. I just didn't understand!

"So?" Scott asked.

"What?" I snapped. The embers of my anger glowing brighter. The nerve of him! I slammed my palms against the wheel.

Scott turned in his seat and looked at me. I glanced at him. "What?"

He narrowed one eye. "I haven't seen you this angry in... a long time."

I hadn't felt this angry in a long time.

After high school and being diagnosed with cancer not even a year later, I'd grown more distant, purposefully. I'd kept everything and everyone at arm's length, afraid to let anything get close enough to affect me.

The fact that Hunter made me this angry after talking for two minutes meant he still held a power over me, and I hated it. I feared it.

The pinch of anxiety in my guts grew tighter, and I knew if I didn't control it now, it would develop into a full blown panic attack.

I took a deep breath and counted to ten, letting out the unwanted emotions with every breath. The light turned green, and I focused my senses and attention on everything around me. The lights of the cars, the shops, the people, the leather against my palms and the fur on my arms.

Scott left me in peace. By the time I parked in front of my apartment building, I was relatively calmer.

"Thanks for the dress," I told him and kissed his cheek.

He gave me a smile that stretched his split lip. "You're welcome. But you'll have to wear it another time since tonight was a mess."

"We'll see."

We got out of the car. I stood at the sidewalk and watched him drive away. I would love to take a walk and clear my head, but my feet were killing me, and walking around in this time of the night was asking for trouble.

So I made my way up to my little home.

***

Making myself a cup of hot tea and taking a steaming shower failed to erase the fresh memory of Hunter's voice and face. I wiped the foggy mirror in my bathroom and looked at myself. I looked the same as I did this morning. Short hair. Blue eyes. Pale face.

But I felt different. As if seeing him again, speaking with him, had resurrected a part of me I thought was long gone. I didn't know how I felt about it.

I opened the first drawer of the sink cabinets. In the back of the small basket where I kept my hair ties and clips, was a pale blue silky hair scrunchy.

I picked it up. I had wanted to throw it so many times over the years. I couldn't. So I put it with my other hair ties, thinking that if I used it, it would be just another hair tie, instead of the bitter reminder that it was.

"Are you proposing, Hunter Jamison?"

"You proposed first."

"That wasn't- okay, fine. Where's my engagement hair tie, then?"

"I'll get you one."

My anxiety threatened to flare again. I dropped the scrunchy in the basket and snapped the drawer shut. Enough. Everything had changed. I wasn't the same person. Physically, emotionally, mentally. Hunter and I would not work out together any longer.

It wasn't even about him dumping me. Although that was a part of it. He never explained, he never gave me a reason, he just up and disappeared as if I wasn't worth even that.

But that wasn't all. Many things happened in ten years. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't give him what he wanted. And I didn't want to give him the power to break me another time. I couldn't.

I put on my pajama and ventured to my kitchen. My chocolate muffin recipe needed more adjustment. Getting the perfect texture and the perfect taste without using sugar or any artificial additives was a challenge, one I thrived in. I still had to read a couple of dog psychology papers, and I had to make my grocery list for tomorrow.

Keeping occupied was the best medicine.

*** **** ***

The farmer's market was one of my favorite places to be. My obsession with food hadn't dwindled one bit over the years, but it had found a healthier outlet.

The outdoors market burst with colors and scents. Smell of flowers, homemade soap and baked goods floated with the breeze, completing the symphony of colorful sights and people's voices.

Despite the cold weather, sunlight flooded the cracks between the umbrellas covering the stalls.

Dragging my bright yellow trolley bag behind me, I strolled through the market. I wished I'd left my jacket in the car. It was too warm. But my scar always itched when it was cold.

I made my way through the stalls, greeting familiar sellers and getting my usual amount of fresh produce before they ran out of it. The homemade almond milk and yogurt was next.

It was funny how I'd thought I would be living off dull vegetables and fruits when I first made my transition to a healthy, natural diet. I'd never been more glad to be wrong. Farmer's markets were a heaven, and pretty much everything had a healthy alternative.

I was looking through a stall of crocheted shawls when my phone rang. Lia. Well, it took her long enough.

"I thought you'd call yesterday," I told her as way of greeting.

"I would've if I'd known. We didn't see Scott's message until morning," she said. "Also, WHAT THE HECK?! Why didn't you tell me?! You..."

I pulled the phone away from my ear until she stopped screaming, walking away from the stalls. "Why should I have?"

"Because!" She said. A high pitched voice called from her end of the line. "Wait a second, Sapph. Landon! I told you to leave your brother's car alone. You have yours. Lander, you only get one popsicle a day, and it's not going to be first thing in the morning."

I heard my brother's deep voice before there was a peaceful quiet.

"Okay, I can talk now. Stefan took them out."

"I see my little nephews are keeping you in line," I said, smiling at the memory of the two little trouble makers.

"My hair is turning grey and I'm not even thirty," she grumbled.

"How's the bun?" I asked.

"Getting bigger. I'm waddling now."

A twinge of sadness softened my lips. I pushed away the gloomy thoughts.

"So, what did he want?" Lia asked.

I sighed and looked up at the sky. "He wanted to get back together."

I moved the phone away from my ears right as I finished talking.

"WHAT?!"

I put the phone back.

"Who the hell does he think he is?" Lia said, and went on a five minute tirade that consisted of curses, ways to kill or castrate Hunter, and more curses.

"Anyway," I said. "Enough about it. It's not like I'm going to see him again. He probably saw me there and thought to try his luck. How's your mom? Is she still thinking about moving closer?"

Lia recognized the plea to change the subject and went along. Ten minutes later, we hung up. But I knew it wouldn't be the last time we spoke about Hunter's sudden cameo in my life.

I stopped by the stall of the Barters, a middle aged couple who lived in a little farm a three hour drive from the city. Mrs. Barter made the most delicious jam, and their raw honey was a treat.

Mr. Barter saw me coming and disappeared under the stall. He reappeared with a wooden box.

"Sapphire, here you go," he said, ushering me around the stall. His wife was dealing with another customer, but she threw me a smile over her shoulder. "Five jars of berry jam, five jars of orange jelly, and seven jars of raw honey. Did I forget anything?"

"Nope," I said, eyeing the box. There was no way I'd be able to carry it all the way to my car while dragging the trolley. I paid for the goods. "Can I leave my trolley here? I'll go put the box in my car first."

"I can carry it-"

"I got it."

Mr. Barter and I both looked at the new voice. A shadow fell over me, and a familiar head of dark hair leaned over the box. My lungs thought it was a good time to stop working.

Hunter picked up the box like it weight nothing and straightened. Looking at me, he raised ne eyebrow. "Where's your car?"

I must be dreaming. Yes. This must be it. There was no way Hunter Jamison would be standing at the farmer's market, carrying my box of jam and honey, and asking where my car was.

Under the light of the day, he looked more real. When I woke up today, I almost convinced myself that yesterday had been just a dream.

But he wasn't a dream right now. A gray baseball cap pulled low over his eyes, shadowing his features. A black sweatshirt stretched across his chest and his arms, failing to contain his sheer size and the masculinity that burst out of him.

"Thanks, young man," Mr. Barter said. "Let me know if you run out of anything, Sapphire, and we'll prepare it to you in time."

"Thank you," I said on autopilot. Hunter moved away from the stall as more customers trickled in, calling Mr. Barter's attention.

I forced my legs into action and fell into step with Hunter. "Wait, what are you doing?"

"Carrying this to your car," he said, as if he'd done it a hundreds times before.

"I can do it myself."

That was both stupid and untrue. Fortunately, Hunter didn't comment on it. He just kept walking. I sighed and led the way to my car. Might as well let him carry the damn box.

"What are you doing here anyway?" I asked. I didn't want to assume it wasn't a coincidence.

"I was walking my dog nearby and thought I'd check the market."

A dog! He had a dog. I glanced around. Obviously, the dog wasn't with him. Hunter cast me an amused look. I tempered down my excitement. "I see."

What kind of dog did he have? I couldn't imagine Hunter with a cute dog like a Pomeranian or a chihuahua. The thought of him walking a tiny dog was vastly amusing. I turned my head so he wouldn't see my smile.

The five minute walk to my car was quiet. I'd forgot how comfortable it was to just be quiet in someone else's presence. Hunter had always made me feel at peace. Until he didn't.

Still, there was an underlying tension when I popped open the trunk of my car. I moved the random stuff I kept in my trunk out of the way; a spare gym bag, my boxing gloves, an open six pack of water, my sneakers. He put the box down.

I opened my trolley bag and handed him the contents to organize in the trunk. Tension crackled when his fingers grazed mine as he took a bag of fruits from my hand. It happened again. And again. I narrowed my eyes at him, but he just organized the bags in the trunk. Was he doing it on purpose?

Whatever. I shook my head and pulled out my phone, scanning my grocery list. Damn it. I forgot the sourdough bread.

"Thank you." I closed the packed trunk of my little car.

Hunter tucked his hands in his jean pockets, his dark eyes intent on my face. "Going home?"

"No, I forgot something," I said, taking a step back. "Thanks."

I walked away. Seconds later, he was walking beside me. I stopped and looked at him. "What are you doing?"

"Taking a stroll in the market," he said.

Uh-huh. Fine. I walked forward, picking up my pace. He stuck to my side like a shadow. I glared at him. "Are you following me?"

"No. I'm just taking a walk around the market," he said, his lips twitching up.

"Shouldn't you go back to your dog? Where's he anyway?"

"In my car," he said. "Don't worry. He's safe."

I huffed and turned. He turned with me. Lia isn't the only one who was going to end up with gray hairs. I just ignored him. I reached the stall of Nonna Gabriella. The old Italian woman baked the most delicious sourdough bread and pasta, using organic flour and all natural ingredients.

Some people thought that pasta and bread was the enemy. Obviously, they never heard about the centenarians living in south of Italy, who lived off homemade pasta and olive oil.

Nonna Gabriella got all her ingredients imported from her little hometown in Southern Italy. Her olive oil, homemade pasta and homemade mozzarella were unmatched. They cost an arm and a leg, but if there was one thing I was willing to splurge on, it was healthy food.

"Sapphire!" Nonna Gabriella said, waving me over. "You're late today, Bambina. But I kept all your favorites."

"Thank you, nonna," I said, walking into her warm hug. Sure enough, her table was almost empty. But she leaned down and hefted a small box of my usual order on the table. She must be at least eighty, and she showed no sign of slowing down. Her face glowed, and her white hair gleamed with good health.

She narrowed her eyes over my shoulder. "And who is that? A boyfriend?"

"No."

"Yes."

I glared at Hunter over my shoulder then turned to nonna. "No. He's not my boyfriend. Just... an old friend."

Nonna Gabriella chuckled, patting my cheek. "Oh, young love. So exciting."

I choked on empty air. Before I could say anything, she delved into a chat about her farm dog. She was scheduled to come in for an annual checkup. A few minutes later, I waved her goodbye and turned to pick up my box. It was already in Hunter's arms. I sighed and led the way to my car. I guess I wasn't carrying anything today. Fine by me.

We tucked the box in my full trunk. Hunter lingered around as I closed the trunk. I crossed my arms and turned to him. "Okay, what are you really doing, Hunter?"

"Being a gentleman. I couldn't possibly let you carry the box when I'm with you."

"You're not with me," I said. "Just stop it, whatever it is you think you're doing. Just imagine you didn't see me yesterday, and keep living your life like you've been doing all these years."

"I can't."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, you can. You've been doing just fine so far. Just because we met by coincidence yesterday-"

"It wasn't by coincidence."

I snapped my mouth shut. Hunter shifted on his feet. "It wasn't by coincidence. I knew you'd be there. I came to see you."

"No," I said firmly, my heart leaping to my throat. I uncrossed my arms and took a step back. "No. No, you didn't."

"Yes, I did."

A laugh devoid of any amusement spilled past my lips. "Why? After ten years? What-"

A couple of young guys standing aside caught my attention. They were pointing to Hunter and whispering among themselves.

Right. I was standing with a world-famous athlete.

"Does it matter why?" Hunter asked. He took off his cap and rubbed a hand through his hair. "Look, I know I messed up. I'm sorry. But I- there was nothing I could've done. It was the only way out."

"Out of what?" I asked.

He opened his mouth and hesitated. "Can we have this conversation somewhere else?"

The two guys walked towards us. I shook my head. "No, we're not having this conversation anywhere. It doesn't matter whether you had a reason or not. Nothing matters any longer."

"Hey, man. You're Jamison, right?"

Hunter glanced at the two guys. They brightened up. "You are. Can we get a picture."

Hunter's eyes tightened. I walked around to my car and got in the driver's seat.

"Sapphire!"

Closing the door against his call, I maneuvered the car out of the parking spot and merged into the road. Glancing at the rearview mirror, Hunter was looking at my car. The two guys soon got his attention, and their figure dwindled into nothing in the rearview mirror.

No. Hunter and I wouldn't be getting back together. Even if he hadn't dumped me ten years ago, we wouldn't have had a future.

Because I wouldn't be able to give him what he'd want.

--- ---- ---

Thoughts? 

I hope you like it. Vote and comment. I appreciate it!

Much love <3 <3 <3

M.B.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

4.2K 67 20
At the age of 9, Erin Wilson got into a car accident with her mom. Erin made it, but her mother had passed away. At the age of 9, Erin lost all her f...
527K 11.4K 45
PUBLISHED - Link in bio 💕 The summer after her sophomore year in college, Mia takes time to heal after a failed relationship. In an attempt to move...
39.5K 2.1K 30
"We're just two people thrown together through the bond of knowing one another's secrets." Mia and Noah couldn't be any more different. When a change...
30.6K 1.2K 44
Edited. Completed Highest ranking #4-boxing. Jun 14 2020. Nate, a shy highschool nerd has never felt what to be loved and craved is. Ryn a bad girl w...