Ascendant

By JadenSeptum

Keep up with me and my current projects by diving into this unedited story written by myself (acting as the "... More

PROLOGUE
CAST
CHAPTER ONE: THE TOMB
CHAPTER TWO: MOIRA
CHAPTER THREE: BERK
CHAPTER FOUR: TEMPUS MORA SENDS HIS REGARDS
CHAPTER FIVE: THE PRINCESS
CHAPTER SIX: BREAKING THE CHAINS
CHAPTER EIGHT: THE CRACK IN THE GLASS
CHAPTER NINE: LYRICS AND MELODIES
CHAPTER TEN: A BLOODLESS BOND
CHAPTER ELEVEN: WHAT GOES UP...
CHAPTER TWELVE: THE WITCH IN THE WOODS
CHAPTER THIRTEEN: BETTER FOR A MILLSTONE
CHAPTER FOURTEEN: LOKI'S LABYRINTH
CHAPTER FIFTEEN: LIGHT UNTO MY PATH
CHAPTER SIXTEEN: DRIVING OUT FEAR
CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: THE FINAL JOKE
CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: THE ARTIFACT
CHAPTER NINETEEN: THE LOOSE END
CHAPTER TWENTY: THE DARK GUARDIAN
CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: KAHU
CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: THE WOLF IN SHEEP'S CLOTHING
CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE: THE DRAGONBLOOD
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: DRAGO BLUDVIST
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE: THE CONQUEROR
CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX: DEATH'S MISSING STING
CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN: LORD MACDONALD
CHAPTER TWENTY-EIGHT: HOME
CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: MORNING, MY LOVE
CHAPTER THIRTY: THE WATCHER

CHAPTER SEVEN: THE PRINCE

19 1 0
By JadenSeptum

Training was going on everywhere on the island. As Hiccup gazed out at the activity, he felt like they had fallen backwards in time. The only thing that soothed his mind was seeing people that trained on their dragons, working together to prepare for a fight. Still, his people were in grave danger. He could feel it.

His eyes fell to a twelve year old boy who was listening to an instructor as he pulled back the bowstring of his weapon and shot an arrow at the target, not enough power in his muscles as the arrow instead buried into the ground below it.

Astrid came up to him as she squinted from the sunlight. "You okay?" she asked but she knew the answer already.

[GEM]

"...There has to be some way we can avoid this, Astrid."

She looked at him with sympathy, agreeing with him but not yet speaking.

"Some way that we can stop this before it comes to a war on Berk. I can't see all of our people die just because of some lunatic wanting to conquer the Earth."

She put her hand on his back between his leather shoulder guards that he wore over his tunic. "Our people are strong, Hiccup. We've survived far more deadly foes than one fake god and his army of zealots," she pointed out. "We'll get through this just as we always have."

He didn't say anything back but his mind was deep in contemplation and worry for what was to come.

"Come on, lets get over to the dragon training. Gobber could use our help." she told him as her hand dropped to take his and she gave him a peck on the cheek before they walked away from the weapons training.

"Alright, that's enough—back to your training. What, you've never seen a sparring match before?" Bjorn said as he interrupted the commotion around Moira.

[GEM]

People began to dispurse then as they followed his orders, gradually leaving her alone there again as Greenhood said to the people, "Hey you want to talk to her you can, it will just cost about a coin each!" and Arne shoved him.

Uriah remembered something and he approached her again. "I think you have fans," he pointed out as he watched the others return to their training.

[MELODY]

"..I noticed..but I don't like that attention.." the redhead said shrugging with a small smile on her face. "I am nothing special.." she stated so greenhood heard it as well as she gave him a punch against his shoulder. "Instead of trying to rob people ye probably should go back to training yerself."

[GEM]

"Ow," he complained and put his hand on his shoulder. "It's not robbing if it's voluntary," he pointed out with sass but he and Sea Dog excused themselves anyway.

"I don't think they've ever not been a handful," Uriah commented with a sigh but then he looked at her. "Oh, and you're wrong," he told her plainly.

[MELODY]

"Dinnae mind them, they are just eejits.." (they are idiots that means) Moira said as she looked up at him with a smile on her face. She raised her eyebrow when he said that. "I am really not special.." she said again then when he told her that.

[GEM]

"Hm. Denial isn't a good color on you, princess," he said with a playful smile as he picked up his sparring sword and put it on the rack. "But I admire the humility, nonetheless," he added. Then he gestured with his head as he told her, "Come on. I have something for you."

[MELODY]

Moira sighed softly when he said that before putting her sword back as well. "..whatever.." she said before giving him a confused but curious look. "What is it?" She asked him as she followed him anyway.

[GEM]

"If I tell you then it wouldn't be a surprise, now, would it?" he told her as he strode down the hill towards the tree line of pines.

[MELODY]

Moira rolled her eyes at that but still had that curiosity in her eyes. She walked with him to where he wanted to go anyway. "Alright fine..that's true I guess."

Aug 2, 2023, 6:22 AM

[GEM]

He led her out of the area where the human training was and towards the forest of evergreens to the left of the center mountain.

The further they walked, the quieter the voices behind them got as they were replaced with scattered sounds of dragons and different voices shouting things back and forth,

These sounds got louder the closer they got and when the trees became more scarce, they saw a rider ahead that looked awkward on his saddle. His friend coached him as he said, "Just hold tight. You'll be fine." But when the dragon took off the rider tumbled back like an armadillo, landing on the ground despite the dragon now being in the air. His friend was busting a gut laughing.

Uriah took Moira to the clearing where Gobber was instructing another young woman on how to fly on the silver dragon she rode. Moira saw beasts all around as they were fitted with leather gear for flying, one of them taking off from the cliff with a rider atop it.

"Gobber!" Uriah called to get the man's attention as he approached.

He turned around to see them and smiled. "Aye! Good to see yuh, lad—Oh and you must be Moira, it's nice to meet proper," he told her as he held out his hook hand to her.

[MELODY]

Moira's eyes widen when she saw so many training with dragons. Being on Berk for a while still amazed her. When she saw Gobber and him introducing himself like that she gave him a small smile before carefully h grabbing his hook and shook it. "Nice to meet ye..Aye I am.." she said kindly and politely back to him.

Aug 2, 2023, 1:55 PM

[GEM]

"Gobber how do I get my dragon to—Ah!" the girl shouted when her dragon leapt into the sky with her holding on for dear life.

"Just hang tight, lass! You'll be fine!" he reassured.

"I'd like to show Moira what you made for her," Uriah told him.

"Oh! Yes! This way," he said and began to lead them towards the trees but there was a ruckus behind them that concerned them as some people said, "Get back!" and shouted in alarm.

The trees were rustling with motion and that's when Cailean came from the tree line with chains around him that were hooked to a pine he was now just dragging behind him like a dog with a stick, catching it on the other trees as he tried to run to Moira.

"Aye—what?!" Gobber complained, throwing his arms up in defeat. "Are ye serious?! Agh I can't make this one stay put for twelve seconds!"

[MELODY]

Moira looked back at the girl concerned before following the two men. When Cailean came crushing through the trees like that she chuckled. "Maybe it's safer if ye don't chain him up.." she said amused by this as she walked over to the dragon who stopped as soon as he saw her. His reaction was really like a young dog. Hence the name she gave him. Cailean means whelp, young dog in Gaelic. She petted him over his nose when she looked over at the two of them. "..so what was the surprise?"

[GEM]

Gobber sighed. "Well... " he said as he gestured, presenting her with the things Cailean was wearing: a newly made leather saddle and bridle-like gear around his neck and head.

[MELODY]

Moira looked at them as her eyes widen in surprise. "Ye made all of that? For me?" She asked Gobber. Cailean was clearly happy with the attention he got from her as he nudged her slightly with his nose wanting her to continue petting.

[GEM]

"Aye! We can't have ye be the only one not riding now, could we?" he said with a grin. "How 'bout it?" he added with a gesture.

[MELODY]

Moira looked back at the saddle noticing with how much care it was made. "The saddle is beautiful.." she said with a smile as she suddenly noticed they had branded the Scottish thistle in the leather. She froze then looking at it.

Aug 2, 2023, 3:03 PM

[GEM]

The dragon nudged Gobber a little, nearly knocking him over and he frowned in offense.

"Is everything alright, lass?" Uriah asked her, standing behind her left shoulder.

[MELODY]

Moira had teared up slightly when she saw that before she nodded. She wiped her tears away before facing him with a small smile. "..T-thank ye for the kind gift.." she said to them both, her voice shaking slightly.

Aug 2, 2023, 3:22 PM

[GEM]

His expression showed concern for her because of the tears. "Of course," he said as if it wasn't a big deal at all. "It's just a saddle," he said with a little smile but his eyes still appeared sympathetic. He hoped they were good tears and not bad ones.

"Wait, did I mess it up?" Gobber said obliviously with a blank stare.

[MELODY]

Moira looked over at the smithy when he asked that and shook her head with still tears in her eyes. "..no it's perfect..thank ye for putting in the wee thistle.."

[GEM]

"Oh, yeah a little bit of home, huh?" he said with a grin. "I thought ye'd like it." He got cut off again when he noticed a fight between a dragon and a rider as the rider was yelling at his beast for being an idiot and he shouted, "Aye!" and walked a few steps away to break it up.

"Hey," Uriah said quietly with a gentle tone. And when she looked at him he lifted his brows a little to ask, "Are you going to be alright?"

He didn't want to embarrass her in front of Gobber or anyone else (which is why he spoke quietly) but also wanted to make sure she was okay.

[MELODY]

Moira nodded wiping her tears away again quickly. "..A-Aye..I will be fine..I have to be.." she stated as she looked away from him. "..there is a war coming so..I had my time grieving.." she said the last part quietly and it sounded very hesitant.

[GEM]

"It takes more than a few days to heal from a wound this deep, love. You don't have to pretend around me," he told her honestly. He restrained from putting his hand on her shoulder as he would normally to someone who was in pain. But he remembered she didn't like physical contact given her previous reactions to it.

[MELODY]

"..I just...don't.." Moira's eyes filled with tears again then as she took a deep breath to talk again. "..I don't know..what to do honestly..I thought..I thought if I just focused on training..I would be fine.." she said now honestly showing what she thought and felt. Uriah was the only one she showed that to as she didn't want to come over as weak to others. But with him it was different.

[GEM]

"It's important to focus on what matters, true enough. But that doesn't mean something like this could just drift away, either. Just know that I will be here for you whatever you need. And not just me. But Arne, Faelan, Gregor, Astrid... even Ruarrc even though he wouldn't admit it... all of us care about you very much and we know the pain of losing a loved one... even multiple," he replied, hoping it would comfort her to know she had people she could be open with. "This means that when you feel like weeping, it's okay to do so. And if anyone has the nerve to judge you for doing that, they can taste the end of my blade," he added with a tad bit of a jest at the end, just trying to convey that it didn't matter who, if anyone, would think she was weak for grieving. Lord knows these people have had their share of death through the years with the wars against dragons.

[MELODY]

A small half-a-smile appeared on her face at the last part of what he said. Of course it made sense what he said and she did know they cared about her but she just didn't want to bother them. She felt like she was doing that. "W-What do you think I should do?" She then suddenly asked looking up at him as tears rolled down her cheeks. She hadn't even thought about if she should go back to Scotland or not. If she was honest she was terrified at the thought of going back as her family, friends and her life there had been completely destroyed and erased from this world.

[GEM]

He looked at her with heartbreak in his eyes, hating how she felt. He knew the feeling all too well and he wouldn't wish it upon his worst enemy, especially not a sweet girl like Moira. She didn't deserve this...

Thinking about her question, he took in a long breath, his eyes drifting a bit with contemplation. "My practical advice... is for you to stay here. These people have proven themselves to be trust worthy and strong. And if anyone is out to get you, you would be safest here surrounded by giant fire breathing reptiles and those who are loyal to you... " he shifted as his eyes fell to the ground, hesitating before saying, "And my... emotional advice to you... is to let others in and don't shut them out. Isolation is a reason good people turn bad. And from someone who was once consumed by revenge... I will advise you not to make the same mistake I did. Keep your soul from that darkness and your mind clean of the intrusive thoughts of rage. Remember the good despite the bad. And above all... remember who our real enemy is," he finished as he looked back at her with importance in his tone and his eyes. He then smiled a little when he added, "And if you ever need to get anger out of your system you can always punch me," he offered jokingly.

But truth be told, all he wanted to do when he saw her in this kind of state was to wrap her in his arms until her tears stopped.

Aug 3, 2023, 12:24 AM

[MELODY]

Moira nodded slightly as she tried to wipe her tears away again. "A-Alright..Aye I think that's best as well..and thanks for the offer for being my punchbag but I will use it in training I think.." she said looking up at him with a weak smile. It disappeared soon after as she looked away again wishing the tears finally would stop as she had already cried so much.

Aug 3, 2023, 2:51 AM

[GEM]

His expression turned back into sympathetic as he looked at her. "You're strong, lass. You'll get through this, yeah?" he said with encouragement, keeping a quiet voice so their conversation remains low key.

Aug 3, 2023, 6:51 AM

[MELODY]

Moira looked back up at him when he said that. "..I don't think I am.." she said quietly. "But thank ye.." she gave him a small smile.

Aug 3, 2023, 3:26 PM

[GEM]

He narrowed his eyes a little. "Remember what I said about denial?" he reminded her, admiration in his gaze. He glanced around and saw that no one was paying attention to them. So he gestured for her to come to him as he said, "Come here, I'm not going to bite", he reassured with a subtle smile, his arm closest to the dragon raised suggesting he wanted to give her a small hug, hoping it would help.

[MELODY]

Moira raised her eyebrow when he did that clearly confused about it at first, before realising what he meant. She clearly hesitated before going closer to him. She clearly wasn't used to this.

Aug 4, 2023, 12:53 AM

[GEM]

He chuckled slightly at her reaction before wrapping his arms around her in comfort, his hand at the back of her head. "Alright, not a fear of violence. Then what is it? Your reputation? If so I think it will survive alright," he commented quietly but with a little humor, curious as to her hesitation with physical contact.

Aug 4, 2023, 2:09 AM

[MELODY]

Moira chuckled a bit uncomfortable as she then finally put her arms around him. "..n-no it isn't that..I just..I am not a hugger..I think.." what she said was not very convincing like she wasn't sure herself.

Aug 4, 2023, 10:29 AM

[GEM]

"I see. So this isn't making you feel any better at all?" he asked.

[MELODY]

"..." moira clearly hesitated before shaking her head. "..i-It is helping.." she said as she leaned against him in the hug.

[GEM]

He let out a small chuckle through his nose disguised as a breath and a soft smile spread on his lips. "Good. Wouldn't want this talent of mine to go to waste," he jested.

Aug 4, 2023, 11:23 AM

[MELODY]

"Talent?" She let out a chuckle when he said that staying in the hug a bit longer until she really felt better and backed out of it. "Thank ye again." She said with a small smile.

Aug 4, 2023, 2:54 PM

[GEM]

As she pulled away, his hands slid from where they were to her shoulders and he used one to tuck some curly strands of ginger hair from her face. "Anytime, princess," he said genuinely but threw in a small wink when his lips spread into a small smile.

He let her go and looked at the dragon. "So how about it?" he asked with a slightly more excited look and a head gesture.

Aug 4, 2023, 3:17 PM

[MELODY]

Moira blushed slightly when he removed her curls out of her face so gently but smiled back. She then looked up at Cailean when he gestured to him like that. "Ehm..I never done something like that before..I rode horses..how do I even get on?" She asked looking back at him.

Aug 4, 2023, 5:23 PM

[GEM]

"Well then you are in a much better position than about ninety percent of the other trainees," he told her with regard to horse riding and then patted the left elbow of the dragon twice while making a clicking sound with his mouth. Cailean dropped down so that his belly was touching the grass beneath him, low enough for her to put her foot into one of the stirrups to climb on. But Uriah still went ahead and showed her the easiest and fastest way to Mount the beast.

Aug 4, 2023, 11:29 PM

[MELODY]

Moira watched him surprised when he got Cailean laying down like that before she hesitantly climbed on like he showed her to. She sat down in the saddle as she held onto that tightly when Cailean got up again once she was on.

Aug 7, 2023, 3:16 AM

[GEM]

He handed her the ropes on the bridle and when he did she could see there were four leather straps: one attached to the top of the bridle, one the bottom, and then left side and rights side. She assumed these were for guiding and steering the beast.

"Well... don't be afraid, lass. It's just like riding a horse, only not at all," he told her with a smirk as he began to buckle straps around her legs and hook some fastenings onto her belt that was around her waist, securing her into the saddle so well she felt like she couldn't be pulled from the riggings if she tried.

This saddle also seemed well attached to her dragon. She wondered if everyone needed this kind of security but when she saw Toothless fly up over the ridge and land in the grass, Hiccup hopped off the saddle with ease, not even buckled in anywhere. "First flight?" he asked Moira and Uriah.

Aug 7, 2023, 9:51 AM

[MELODY]

Moira listened closely to what Uriah told her to do. She clearly didn't like being strapped up like that as she liked to move freely but it was for safety after all. When Hiccup came to them she nodded clearly nervous about this. "How do I even start?" She asked the two of them. "..I assume ye don't start like horseriding."

Aug 7, 2023, 3:19 PM

[GEM]

"Do you need a fetcher?" Hiccup asked.

"She's pretty buckled in but... safety first," Uriah told him.

He nodded and got back on Toothless.

[MELODY]

When Hiccup asked that she got even more nervous but she took a deep breath before looking at the leather straps and the ropes she was holding. "..alright.. let's do this..we can do this." she said petting the gorecutter before trying to use the top strap to make him go up.

Aug 8, 2023, 4:29 PM

[GEM]

The beast remained still, indifferent to her tugging.

She blinked a couple of times and tried again but the dragon didn't even react to this.

"I got this," Hiccup said and led Toothless around behind her dragon before the Night Fury blasted the dragon in the rear with his heated breath and Cailean's pupils turned to slits suddenly as a roar escaped the dragon's mouth and he charged forward full speed towards the cliff.

Aug 9, 2023, 1:44 AM

[MELODY]

Moira's eyes widen when the blast happened as she let out a surprised yelp when Cailean suddenly charged forward. With the cliff coming into sight she panicked slightly not wanting to crash down although she knew the gorecutter probably would start flying. Still she was terrified. "..oh no..no..Cailean please go up!" She said to the beast before pulling on the strap again.

Aug 9, 2023, 2:59 AM

[GEM]

The dragon barreled forward like a stampeding rhinoceros, nearly running into two riders who ran away in order to not get trampled, before it leapt off the edge of the cliffside. Moira's insides were suspending as the feeling of falling overtook her, the sensation slowing down when the Goregutter's wings spread wide and caught the air.

[MELODY]

Moira had her eyes tightly shut once Cailean went over the edge mumbling to herself almost praying in Gaelic. She was trembling slightly as fear had taken over her body but when she felt them slowing down she carefully opening her eyes again as they were above the ocean now. Her eyes widen at the sight as her body relaxed slightly. A relieved sigh escaped her.

Aug 9, 2023, 4:13 AM

[GEM]

The cold wind was hitting her face and blowing back her fire colored locks, chilling her nose and ears as she held onto her reins and saddle. It was a little rocky but suddenly she was glad to be strapped in so tight, watching the ocean move beneath them and the cliffs fly by to her right.

Other dragons and riders were practicing around her and flying by, one of the young men was screaming in terror as he clutched his beast for dear life, a rather comical sight.

"Hey! You're doing great!" Hiccup's voice interrupted as he flew under her and to her left atop Toothless.

Aug 9, 2023, 7:16 AM

[MELODY]

Moira looked around at the other riders before she was shaken out of her thoughts by hiccup. She looked down at them. "H-How are ye not scared to fall off?" Moira asked him as she loosened her grip of the strap she was holding slightly. It was clear she wasn't comfortable and still scared.

[GEM]

"Sorry, what was that?!" he asked over the sound of the wind. "You said something about falling?! You mean like this?!" He then let go of the handle attached to the strap around Toothless's neck and fell limply off the saddle like he was dead, Toothless not even reacting to this as he continued to fly.

But when Moira's eyes followed him suddenly as this happened she then saw as Hiccup's arms came out to either side with wings like a flying squirrel, gliding over the waves gracefully.

He let out a whooping sound as he flew with a smile on his face, clearly having fun every time he did this.

[MELODY]

Moira's eyes widen when he suddenly let himself fall like that. She panicked slightly when that happened but seeing Toothless' reaction and then seeing hiccup she sighed relieved. "Oi you dafty! Don't scare me like that!" She shouted to him over the sound of the wind shaking her head slightly as a smile appeared on her face. She found him crazy for doing that but she must admit that she liked that. A bit crazy at times wasn't bad.

[MELODY]

Meanwhile Ikatere had appeared besides Uriah nudging him with his nose as he wanted to fly with them as well. He jumped up and down around him being very excited

Aug 9, 2023, 4:12 PM

[GEM]

"What, huh? You want to go as well?" he asked the beast with a slightly amused look on his face.

Aug 10, 2023, 1:33 AM

[MELODY]

Ikatere made some loud excited noises before he pushed himself under Uriah making him fall onto his back.

Aug 10, 2023, 3:05 AM

[GEM]

"Whoa!" he said in reaction but laughed as he held onto the straps around Ikatere's neck. "Hold up there, lad. Your saddle isn't really finished yet," he added questioningly as he checked the fastenings. They were simply trying it out before making adjustments to it.

[MELODY]

Once Uriah held onto the straps Ikatere saw that as a sign to just go..he spread his wings before just speeding off. He had the energy of a young boy, just not listening and just do it. He had no idea what they wanted with that weird thing on his back.

Aug 10, 2023, 5:55 AM

[GEM]

Uriah's breath left his lungs as he was yanked forward and he clutched harder to the leather as he was taken hostage, the dragon leaping off the cliff and into the air before he had a chance to try and stop him. "Aye! Perhaps we can take this a bit slower--?!" he shouted with struggle as he almost fell off but tucked his legs around the loose saddle and under the dragon's wings as they flew, jerking about like a wild dog with a child holding its leash.

[MELODY]

When Uriah pulled onto him like that Ikatere slowed down a bit but when he got Toothless into his sights again he sped up again. He let out a happy roar as he reached them proud of himself even with Uriah almost falling off. When Moira heard them she looked over at them and couldn't help but laugh at the sight. "Are ye alright Uriah? Ye look a bit pale.." she said to him trying to shout over the wind so he could hear. Ikatere had slowed down once he reached the two other dragons and Hiccup.

Aug 10, 2023, 6:15 AM

[GEM]

"Ha--Oh no I really love being flung around like a rag doll, you don't even know!" he told her with sarcasm, shouting over the sound of the wind so she could hear him.

Toothless had to retrieve his rider when he had flown to low to the ocean and he was once again riding on his dragon's back.

[MELODY]

"Well how lovely for ye then! Yer dragon seems happy as well!" Moira shouted back to him teasingly. Ikatere now seemed content flying besides Toothless now letting out purrs. He did clearly look up to the Nightfury.

Aug 10, 2023, 6:55 AM

[GEM]

"Yeah that's one word for him!" he replied.

Toothless noticed Ikatere and narrowed his eyes before letting out a low growl of annoyance and shooting ahead suddenly, nearly knocking Hiccup from his back as the man had to hold on better and when this happened, Ikatere followed, cutting off Uriah mid sentence when he said, "You seem to be--argh!" and causing him to clutch onto the saddle again.

As the two shot ahead, Moira realized her dragon was headed for some tall rock formations.

[MELODY]

Moira watched the two of them sighing softly while shaking her head before noticing the rock formations. Her eyes widen when she saw them as they went straight for them. She quickly grabbed onto the leather strap on the right side wanting to go around them but that didn't seem to work. "Oh god.." she said under her breath as she tried to pull again. "Go right..or up! Please!" She said to the dragon before out of desperation kicked him on his right side like on a horse to encourage him to go right.

Meanwhile Ikatere just tried to stay close to Toothless. He wasn't as fast as him so it took some effort to keep up. This was until he noticed something below them underneath the waves. A shimmer from a group of fish. He then suddenly dived down into the water as he speeded below the waves to catch as much fish as he could carry not realising he had still Uriah on his back.

Aug 10, 2023, 7:55 AM

[GEM]

"Aye! Alright this was amusing at first but now--" he began to complain but was cut off once again when he dove into the waves, ice cold salt water filling Uriah's nose, mouth, and ears. He held on tight but the pressure pulled against him and he nearly let go as he was dragged under the ocean.

[MELODY]

Ikatere flew up out of the water again once he had his mouth full. He then went back to Toothless to show him as he wanted to share. He then noticed what he did to Uriah as he quickly swallowed some of the fish and dropped the rest. He then set up big puppy eyes as he looked over his shoulder at Uriah.

Luckily for Moira Cailean reacted to her kick as they barely avoided the rock formations. But he clearly disliked being kicked. "Then just listen ye daft beast!" Moira shot at the gorecutter as he complained about the kick by rumbling.

Aug 10, 2023, 8:48 AM

[GEM]

As soon as Ikatere came up from the surface of the ocean, Uriah spit water from his mouth and coughed, his drenched hair in his face now. "You stupid beast, are you determined to give me hypothermia?!" he complained with annoyance. "No, please, for heaven's sake don't stop ducking into the ice water--I love that..." He then looked over at Moira who was also cursing at her dragon nearby.

[MELODY]

When Uriah shouted at him like that Ikatere seemed to flinch and whimpered then before looking down at the ocean and back up at him like asking can I go again?

Moira sighed irritated when the gorecutter just straight up ignored her after that. "..ye very stubborn, ye know that?"

Aug 10, 2023, 9:23 AM

[GEM]

"Don't you dare," Uriah told the dragon. He didn't notice that Hiccup was laughing and he returned his gaze. "Well I am glad one of us is amused!"

"Oh I definitely am!" Hiccup replied. "Hey Ika, fetch!" He threw one of the fish into the air ahead of them.

[MELODY]

The young dragon looked over at Hiccup when he called out to him as his eyes widen when he saw the fish. He shot up then catching it quickly. By now Moira had finally reached them at Cailean's slow and relaxed pace.

Aug 10, 2023, 9:59 AM

[GEM]

Uriah tried to hold on but when Ikatere shot forward to catch the fish suddenly, his grip was compromised and he tumbled back and splashed into the sea beneath him, causing Hiccup to begin laughing again as Uriah resurfaced and wiped his face of the salt water dripping from his hair. "Are you kidding me?!" he demanded from the boy who was still taken by amusement.

[MELODY]

Ikatere swallowed the fish whole before looking down at Uriah almost seeming to have a surprised expression that he was suddenly there before diving down to him and picking him up out of the water holding him with his front paws.

Moira watched the whole scene rolling her eyes. "Boys.." she mumbled but she had to keep in a laugh because it was hilarious watching this. "So can we go back to the flying part now? Instead of drowning each other?" She asked dryly just feeling a bit bad for Uriah..but not that bad of course.

Aug 10, 2023, 11:03 AM

[GEM]

"I don't think I can feel my fingers," Uriah said with irritation.

Moira then noticed that Hiccup's eyes were stuck on something in the distant sky to his right, over the horizon.

Aug 10, 2023, 12:13 PM

[MELODY]

"Come on ye are fine.." Moira said as she in the direction Hiccup was looking towards. "What is it?" She asked Hiccup being a bit concerned as it seemed to take all his attention.

Aug 10, 2023, 3:04 PM

[GEM]

"I don't know..." he replied and then pulled Toothless upwards the cliff.

"Hey!" Ulric said as he ran to where Bjorn was watching some sparring. When Bjorn looked at him, he stopped and said, "We got an unknown fly in. South."

"Dammit," he cursed and whistled for his dragon.

Ulric took off to retrieve his beast as well.

The mystery dragon could be seen flying below the clouds and headed straight for Berk, the creature seeming a bit tired judging by the way it flew.

[GEM]

"He's got a rider with him!" Bjorn told Ulric as they took to the sky on their dragons and flew up to meet the incoming stranger.

But the closer they got, the more clear the stranger became and they realized it was just a child, holding on best he could but he looked ready to faint.

Suddenly their defensive approach didn't make much sense but questions flooded their heads at the sight of this.

"Aye, lad! What business have you all the way out here, huh?!" Ulric demanded from him when the two intercepted the dragon, forcing it to hover instead of flying straight for the island.

The child, about age twelve, didn't seem able to reply as he sat weakly on the saddle of the dragon, his clothes appearing wealthy at one time, but they were now stained and dirty... His eyes then rolled back in his head and his body became limp, falling to the left and slowly off the dragon.

[GEM]

"Whoa—whoa!" Ulric reacted as Bjorn's dragon ducked down as fast as he could and grabbed the child before he hit the waves, the extra weight causing Bjorn's beast to not be able to fly very high as he headed back for the mainland.

Uriah, Hiccup, and Moira walked from their dragons towards where Ulric and Bjorn landed, a few others noticing this as well including Arne and Faelan.

Bjorn's dragon dropped the boy on the ground and immediately Moira recognized who it was.

Aug 10, 2023, 3:49 PM

[MELODY]

Moira froze at first when she saw him as she almost couldn't believe it. Like she was seeing a ghost. She recognised him immediately. "D-David!" She called out as she ran over to him quickly. She felt tears rolling over her cheeks as she kneeled down by him carefully holding him in her embrace as she examined his pale face. "O-O taing do Dhia, t-tha thu beò. (Oh thank god, you are alive)" she said to him whispering in Gaelic.

Aug 10, 2023, 9:43 PM

[GEM]

Uriah widened his eyes when she appeared to know the chap. Was it a surviving family member? But how did he slip by? Nevertheless, his current thoughts were on the state of the boy and he ran over to where Moira and him were, putting a hand on his shoulder as he examined him. "What happened to him?"

"We don't know. Just came out over them waves and fell unconscious. Maybe he's malnourished," Ulric replied. "Doesn't seem to be injured."

The dragon he was riding squawked, getting Uriah's attention as the man looked over at it while it layed in the grass with exhaustion.

"Regardless we can't have him here," Bjorn said sternly, a cold look in his eyes. "Not with assassins on the loose."

Aug 11, 2023, 1:42 AM

[MELODY]

Moira held him close, carefully but it was clear she was not planning on letting him go. She glared up at Bjorn narrowing her eyes at him. "He is not leaving.." she said back to him sharply very protective over her younger brother. He was all she had left of her family and she wasn't planning on sending him into the world on his own. "He's only 12! And lost his whole family! We only got each other, I am not letting him go." She was really trying to keep her calm but that was really difficult as so many emotions went through her right now. She then looked down at her brother who had moved slightly having laid his head against her shoulder.

Aug 11, 2023, 1:59 PM

[GEM]

"Is he your brother?" Uriah asked her quietly, his brows knit together throughout this whole conversation.

Aug 11, 2023, 2:54 PM

[MELODY]

"A-Aye..he is..his name is David." Moira stated with a shaking voice. "He is me youngest brother.."

Aug 12, 2023, 5:25 AM

[GEM]

His eyes conveyed the importance he understood this to be, and how important he obviously was to her.

"Stoick was very clear that no one was to be allowed on the island and our job is to follow his orders—" Bjorn began plainly.

"He's a child," Ulric emphasized. "Do you seriously think he is an assassin?"

"I don't give a damn what he is or isn't. Besides that, how do we know he wasn't followed or tracked?"

"We can talk to Stoick ourselves," Uriah interrupted. "Berk is out too far for any tracking and your scouts are vigilant enough to see followers."

[MELODY]

Moira shot a glare at Bjorn once again. Although she understood their concern for the safety of their people she couldn't believe he was seriously this heartless. She was glad Uriah stood up for her and David. "Do whatever ye need to do, I am taking him inside." She stated before picking him up carefully as she walked over to Astrid's house. She was clearly very stubborn if they hadn't already noticed that in the past weeks. She wasn't going to let her brother get send away.

Aug 12, 2023, 5:47 AM

[GEM]

They let her go and Hiccup stopped Uriah to tell him, "I'll talk to my dad."

"Thank you, friend," he replied with a hand on his shoulder before turning and following after Moira.

The child was large, so she was having a bit of a struggle carrying him. "Here let me take him," Uriah offered and picked him up in his arms to walk with her to Astrid's dwelling.

[MELODY]

"..I am f-.." Moira said but he had already taken him over from her. She sighed softly at that. "I swear I could carry him still a while ago.." she mumbled before opening the door for him once they arrived at Astrid's. She went to make a bed by the fireplace so David could warm up. She then went to check if there was any food she could make for him as well as getting some water for him. She was completely focused on helping him instead of listening to her own mind to take a break and recover from the shock of seeing David again after that terrible news.

[GEM]

"Oh, was that a 'thank you' I heard? If so, you're welcome, Princess," he replied to her with some attitude after what she mumbled.

[MELODY]

Moira looked over at him when he said that rolling her eyes but a small smile appeared on her face. "Alright, thank ye kind sir.." she said back before turning back around to prepare the meal for David. "..ye can put him down by the fire..hopefully he will warm up..maybe we should get him clean clothes..I can ask Hiccup later maybe.." she spoke out her thoughts very rapidly as she was trying to think of the best ways to help him.

[GEM]

He returned her smile with a smirk of his own and did as she asked with regards to the boy, placing him down on the rug by the fire. "I can drag the bed over to—" he was cut off mid sentence when David's fist suddenly made contact with his face and he cringed and held his nose when a pained grunt escaped his lips, the boy jerking up with wide eyes of panic as he awoke so abruptly.

[MELODY]

Moira heard it happen as she quickly turned around. When she saw him awake her eyes widen. She quickly ran over then and went to stand between them. "D-David..it's okay.." she said as she gently grabbed both his hands holding them. "..you are safe.." Suddenly Moira switched over in perfect proper English as she spoke to her brother. She still had her accent but she was trying hard to mask it all of a sudden. She made sure she made eyecontact with him hoping that would calm him down. "..it's okay..this man is a friend.." she said calmly to him, while she wasn't calm herself at all.

[GEM]

The questions he seemed to want to ask became moot when his brain registered who he was looking at and his eyes widened more as recognition took them over. He lurched forward and embraced her with sudden relief, as if he was a toddler who woke from a nightmare.

[MELODY]

Moira was surprised by the sudden embrace but she immediately hugged him back as she gently stroke him over his back. "..y-you have gotten taller then me.." she said with a small chuckle escaping as she teared up. She couldn't hold it back anymore. She then just stood there in silence holding him while sobbing quietly.

Aug 12, 2023, 6:53 AM

[GEM]

"I didn't think I'd see you again..." he finally croaked out, tears burning in his own eyes of everything that happened.

[MELODY]

"..I am s-..so sorry for leaving.." Moira said as she tightened her hug. "I-I shouldn't have left you..a-and E-Edmund and Edgar..I.." she took deep breaths trying to keep strong as she knew David needed her to be. "M-mom told m-me to take care of you.."

Aug 13, 2023, 2:41 AM

[GEM]

Uriah's nose was bleeding a bit but not badly. And he stood up as he watched the reunion, a warmth in his heart but also sympathy for them. They had lost everything...

David kept in her hug for a moment as he tried not to cry himself, the only thing holding him back from an excess of tears being the questions that tumbled around his frantic mind. "Is it true?" he finally asked, breaking the silence again. "Are they all gone?"

[GEM]

Uriah's brows pulled together a bit at this question, eyeing the boy as he wondered how he didn't know if he was presumably there.

Aug 13, 2023, 3:36 AM

[MELODY]

Moira was clearly surprised by that question as she nodded slightly "Aye..it's what we heard..weren't..weren't you there?" She asked him a bit confused about this. She assumed he had been there.

Aug 13, 2023, 2:34 PM

[GEM]

He pulled away to recall what he remembered from that night. "I was there the night of the banquet. But I was late to the feast, out hunting with my friends instead. But when I was alone, I was pulled aside into a dark corridor by a hooded figure. He was dressed in all black, as if blending with the shadows. He told me to run—to fly north until I got to Berk. That there was a dragon tied at the cliffside I could use. I asked him why. He told me my whole family was being assassinated and I was next. He said not to look back if I valued my life or my kingdom."

"A cloaked figure?" Uriah asked as he took a couple steps towards them with interest. "Could you see any part of his face? Was he wearing a mask?"

He shook his head, confused by the question. "I couldn't see much of his face but it was clean shaved- I think."

Aug 13, 2023, 2:51 PM

[MELODY]

The expression on Moira's face was a mix of confusion and worry but when Uriah asked that fear got mixed in it as well. Was he talking about the man he was after? That friend of his that got possessed? Her mind was too full at this moment to process this all but she ignored it, the signs of her body and mind once again that she should take a step back to rest. "Can ye ask questions later?" She suddenly asked Uriah turning to him. "..David needs to rest and eat.."

[GEM]

He returned her gaze, tons of thoughts in his mind about this information. Someone was out there secretly helping but who?

He nodded and hesitated for a moment before saying, "His fainting was from dehydration. Make sure he drinks water but give it to him slowly to prevent him becoming stomach sick." He then excused himself and walked from the house.

Aug 13, 2023, 3:23 PM

[MELODY]

Moira watched him leave as she did hesitate to go after him not sure about if her action just now was right. She then sighed before turning back to her brother. "..well you heard him..sit down.." she said going over in perfect English again.

[GEM]

He didn't reply but sat on the wooden bench in front of the fireplace as he thought hard about everything that had taken place in the last week. "...Are we the only two left?" he asked her hesitantly, afraid he already knew the answer.

Aug 13, 2023, 3:54 PM

[MELODY]

Moira went to sit down next to him then before holding his hand between hers. Hers were trembling slightly. "..I..I think we are..I..wasn't there either." She said to him quietly as she looked away watching the flames of the fireplace dance in front of them.

Aug 13, 2023, 5:29 PM

[GEM]

"H-how did you get the news?" he asked, trying to keep the tears at bay. But he already shed quite a few when he and the dragon camped out on an island on the way here. Cried himself to sleep out of sheer panic and worry. The beast tried to comfort him by curling around his freezing body... but of course none of this he would admit to anyone. He had to be strong like he was taught.

Now, though, the reality of the deaths of his whole family began to set in and it was hitting him hard...

[MELODY]

"..a messager came to Berk...since Berk and Scotland were... about to be allies.." Moira said seeing the whole scene play out in her mind again. When she heard the news of their family's dead.. She tried staying strong for David right now but she was having an hard time with it, having difficulties with holding her tears back as well as the feeling from that day started creeping in again..

[GEM]

"We were about to sign the treaty...," he said, staying focused on information so as to not get emotional. He took a small drink of water from a clay cup as they spoke. "Now... all of Scotland and possibly the whole area will be in shambles. War will likely break out. Our home as we knew it gone; given to another family with wealth and power. At least MacCallum got out before the slaughter."

Aug 14, 2023, 2:21 AM

[MELODY]

Moira looked up at him again when he said that. "H-He did get out?" He asked him surprised. She wondered how that was even possible. Yet another piece of information that went into her already over full mind.She then realized she was asking him a lot at once. "I..I am sorry..I shouldn't... ask so much... right now." She looked away again back at the fire when she said that.

Aug 14, 2023, 12:58 PM

[GEM]

"Why... why did you leave?" he asked her, some resentment built up.

Aug 14, 2023, 1:18 PM

[MELODY]

"..I.." Her eyes showed how much pain she had built up inside her. But she didn't show it as she also didn't look at him. "...I didn't..want to marry..like that..I felt trapped." She said quietly.

[GEM]

"...Why didn't you want to get married?"

[MELODY]

"..I don't want to marry just anyone..just because they have a title and a important family name." Moira said before she stood up as she gave him a bowl of food she just made.

[GEM]

He took it gladly and as he ate, his question was posed through a full mouth. "Then what would you get married for?"

[MELODY]

"..I would marry if I found the right person.." Moira said calmly as she sat back down next to him. "..for love..not for status.."

[GEM]

"For love? ...Father would say you've gone mad."

[MELODY]

Moira let out a frustrated and annoyed sigh. "He would..well mom would have said differently.." she said looking up at him.

[GEM]

"Mom would have said 'what about duty?'" he replied, seeing a different side to their mother than she did.

[MELODY]

Moira shook her head slightly but gave him a small smile "..remember the song she used to sing to us?"

Aug 14, 2023, 2:29 PM

[GEM]

He furrowed his brows a little and shook his head.

[MELODY]

Moira sighed softly. Before she quietly started to sing the song their mother so often used to sing to them.

[GEM]

There was a bit of recognition in the young prince but only as if the song was heard in a dream... He didn't even remember what his mother looked like. It was only thanks to his siblings and father that he even know what her personality was.

His sister's voice was angelic and the song made him homesick, flashes of them playing together in the courtyard of the castle going through his mind. He saw Moira and Edmund teaching him how to ride a horse and arguing over the method. He saw them hiding from one another as Edgar searched for them. But when he was found he took up and ran, causing Moira to laugh. The memories of his childhood and the brightness they brought to his life would be forever drowned in the sorrow that was now the ghost of a family. This pain began to set in and his eyes burned with tears that he tried to hide, holding the bowl of nearly finished stew in his hands...

[MELODY]

Moira looked over at him while singing having a tear escape as she carefully took the bowl from him putting it away and held both his hands. It hurt her to see him like this. And that their home like they knew it was forever gone but at least they had each other again. She wanted him to know that.

[GEM]

When she did this he hid his face from her as he began to break down, shutting his eyes tightly as tears finally escaped them. But he let himself lean against her and welcomed the familiarity of his sister's arms, ones he thought he would never be in again.

[MELODY]

Moira put her arms around him while singing the song as she laid her head against his letting him cry. She had to do her best not to cry herself as a few more tears escaped her.

[GEM]

As the sun was beginning to set on the island, Uriah and his crew gathered in the longhouse where they shared drinks and the evening meal.

"What's the deal with this little chap, Uriah? Why's he so important?" Gregor asked as they sat around the table, their faces lit from the fires in the center of the building that kept its residents warm.

"He's Moira's younger brother," he replied.

"Does that mean he's the rightful king of Scotland now?" Arne asked.

"What about Moira? Isn't she older?" Faelan chimed in.

Ruarrc snickered. "I don't think the Scottish nobles would take well to an unmarried woman being crowned queen," he commented before taking a drink from his tankard.

"Fine but what about him? Are those assassins still after him and would they follow him here?" Arne asked.

"We still don't yet know what the assassins associated with Tempus Mora want," Uriah said.

"We know they've been doing this since long before he was back," Gregor stated.

When they looked at him he continued, "If you remember what happened to Rune's clan and why we were searching for that wretched tomb in the first place."

"His loyalists wanted something hidden there," Uriah replied.

"Did we ever find out what that was?"

"...Are you suggesting there was something they wanted in Scotland as well?"

"Not from a hit this large," Ruarrc interrupted. "Mora killed all of the area's leadership with a poison. He didn't charge in with his armies and kill the people who fought him like what happened in Stonehill. I think he's on to a different tactic."

"And what would that be?" Faelan asked.

"Political unrest."

They didn't reply to him yet.

"Think about it. Now the north is turned back to the stone age, fighting each other like stubborn toddlers meanwhile he raises an army to swoop in and take control of the most powerful force in the world and convince the rest that he can make peace where others have failed."

"Do you think Stoick will be next?" Arne asked quietly.

"Now you see their hesitance on bringing anyone else even near this island," he replied.

The others put thought into this information as there wasn't any more questions for a few seconds.

"That's not all..." Uriah spoke up. "I learned that there was someone who helped Prince David escape. A man cloaked in black."

They exchanged some looks as this sunk in.

"Suppose it could have been anyone?" Faelan said.

"Anyone who knew beforehand that all of the nobles and highbloods were about to be poisoned to death? What commoner could know these things? And why hide his identity?"

They didn't know how to respond to that as they tried to think of answers to his questions.

"I suppose Moira is glad she left when she did, even if it was for a selfish reason," Ruarrc commented after the silence.

[GEM]

Uriah was defensive immediately. "Put away the sword, Ruarrc. You are the last one who can judge another on motives," he told him up front, unafraid of confrontation. "Like all of us, she had made mistakes in her youth and honestly, all of ours were far larger than her own. We are on no pedestal."

"I don't give a shite about judgment, Apostle," he said as he finished his drink. "If I did I would have slit my own throat years ago."

He stood up from the table then. "Don't mistake indifference for wisdom. You'll end up somewhere in which repentance is no longer possible." He took his leave after that, the others remaining there to eat and quietly reflect on all that was spoken.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

859K 31.3K 34
I was never the cool girl... Never the centre of attention. Hell, the first party I ever went to, it was because Kelly dragged me to it and I was 17...
49.2K 3.5K 32
*SEQUEL TO THE 12 ELEMENTALS* #623 in Fantasy Kicked out of her kingdom by Darkness, how does Melody rebuild her life and take back her crown? * Okay...
97K 1.5K 15
#1 hiccupxreader Warning: LEMON, also, following this story will put you in major FEELS! I didn't change Hiccup or Toothless's personally btw:) summ...
661K 27.4K 45
(NOT EDITED AT ALL) (LOTS OF GRAMMAR ERRORS) (I was young when I wrote this lol) "You're special, fire boy," the man grins, "you and the others are...