Find Me

Da xXAmy_CXx

|Book 1 of The Betrayal Trilogy - Now Discontinued| [READ AT YOUR OWN RISK-STORY WROTE AT AGE OF 13] *** "N... Altro

Copyright
Prologue
1 • Mine
2 • Prank
3 • Panic
4 • Police
5 • Kidnapping
6 • Mel
7 • Funeral
8 • New
9 • Purity
10 • Scare
11 • Stalking
12 • Suspicious
13 • Taunting
14 • Rose
15 • Apprehensive
16 • Conversations
17 • Caller
18 • Flashbacks
19 • Soon
20 • Confusion
21 • Sneaking
22 • Worried
24 • Tick-Tock
25 • Unexpected
26 • Him
Authors Note
Sequel

23 • Meeting

8K 468 54
Da xXAmy_CXx

I wait for Xavier at the park later that night, sitting on the bench we'd last talked at. The thin jacket I'm wearing doesn't block the cold wind from chilling me to the bone. It's early fall now, so I know that it's only going to get cooler from here.

I think about the letters Mom has been keeping under her mattress, and the lovely message that had been written across my wall in what seems to be blood. The test of the medium used to write the messages should come back in the next few days, according to Callaway, but by then, I don't think it will matter. I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm running out of time, considering my stalker is getting bolder and bolder by the day. Soon, he'll probably come knocking on the front door, asking to see me.

As for the letters, I don't know what to think anymore. The person who wrote the letters labelled himself 'your lover', and stated in the notes that Mom betrayed him in some way. For some reason, I almost believe that it isn't me who's being stalked, but Mom. It would make more sense than a random person suddenly becoming obsessed with me; but that I'm getting all the texts and warnings because he's trying to unhinge Mom by going after me. In my opinion, it's working too.

I realize it's only a stupid thought, but right now, analyzing all of the evidence seems to be everything I can do. It keeps me from crumbling for the time being.

As I bow my head, I feel a slight tap on my shoulder. Startled, I whip my head to the side while bringing a hand up to shield myself. My cheeks warm when I realize it's only Xavier, who looks as startled as I am.

"Sorry," I say quickly, dropping my defensive stance. I swallow slowly when he smiles. It creates dimples across his cheeks, which makes me want to melt into a puddle like the Wicked Witch of the West.

Stop it Mel, I think to myself.

I can't let myself get attached like this. It's not good for either of us. By hanging out with Xavier, I'm putting him in immediate danger. To be honest, I don't know exactly why I want to talk with him. In the end, I know that one of us is going to take the fall for it, and it probably will be me, or at least, I hope it'll be me.

"It's not a problem," he says, sliding onto the bench with me. I think about his last words, the ones he said on this exact bench only a couple nights ago. They replay in my head over and over and I try to figure out how to tell him about earlier today.

The smile drops off of Xavier's face. He touches my shoulder, and I almost feel electrical currents erupting from his fingertips. "What happened this morning? I was worried about you."

I look away from Xavier, from his heartbreaking gaze. "I don't want to be the one responsible if something happens to you, and if I tell you, I might be," I murmur, my voice cracking.

"Skylar," he says quietly. I turn, waiting for him to continue. He tentatively reaches over to brush the stray hairs from my face. My breath catches in my throat as his fingers brush over my cheek. He looks even more worried now than before. "Ever since I met you, there's been something about you that I can't put my finger on. I can tell you're scared, and it's starting to scare me. I don't care if it puts me in danger, I just want to help you. Please," he leans a little closer, "let me help you."

I bite my lip, pulling away. "Before anything else, I should tell you that my name...it isn't Skylar," I murmur.

He seems somewhat shocked by this, probably because I had been lying to him this whole time. "What is your name then?"

I hesitate before saying, "Melanie...Melanie Larkin."

Xavier leans back again, trying to process. "Okay, Melanie." My heart flutters at the way he says my name, my real name. "Why did you lie to me?"

I look down to my shoes, which are squeaky clean from the downpour that had occurred after the cops left, which had been a few hours ago now. "You have to swear you won't tell anyone, not even your mother."

He nods, "I swear Sky--Melanie. I won't say a word."

I don't even know where to start. As the last few months come slamming into me at full force, I cannot help but let out a small sob. I still wonder to myself I survived this long, I mean, I lost my best friend to a lunatic who's obsessed with me, and I moved to a new town where I don't know anyone but Xavier. Only, meeting him was more an accident.

With my hands shaking, I say quietly, "I--I'm being stalked by someone, someone I don't know."

At this news, Xavier snaps to full attention. His eyes go wide. "Is that why the cops were at your place? He did something, didn't he?"

I nod slowly, the word 'soon' bouncing around my head in a haunting fashion. "He did."

"He didn't--"

"--No, nothing happened," I interject. "He covered the walls of my room with words written in a crimson ink. The police aren't sure if it's human blood."

Xavier shudders. "Do you think you could start from the beginning, so I can understand?"

I nod and continue to tell Xavier the story from the beginning, like requested. I don't omit the part about Laura, even though I can barely say her name to him. As I start to cry harder, I feel his arms wrap around me, his hold strong and gentle at the same time.

By the time I'm finished, I'm full out bawling in Xavier's arms. He doesn't seem to mind, because I hear him whispering kind words in my ear, trying to make me feel better. It doesn't help very much, but it clears my mind of anything else.

"I'm so sorry, Melanie," he whispers. "I'm so sorry."

I go numb a few moments later, listening to Xavier's heartbeat against my ear. I'm all cried out, which is probably a good thing.

"I'm glad you told me," Xavier says, pressing his lips on the top of my head. Against my will, my eyes flutter closed as I feel the pressure of his lips against my hair. I don't stop him, probably because it just feels too nice to do so.

"I shouldn't have," I say, my voice shaky from crying. "I'm worried he will hurt you."

"Better me than you," he admits a few seconds later.

I don't reply. What would I say to a comment like that? No matter how much I'd refuse that I'm worth anything, the more Xavier will insist I am. I know that much about him.

"I'm scared," I say after a few moments of silence.

Xavier's hand rubs against my arm comfortingly. "It'll be okay. Besides, you'll have me if he tries to do anything."

I laugh at this, picturing Xavier facing off against the hooded man from my nightmares. The thought of my stalker being beaten to a pulp almost makes me feel better...almost.

"Is that a smile I see?" Xavier's voice snaps me out of my thoughts.

I lift my head from his chest, where I had been for the past ten minutes or so. "Maybe."

Xavier turns to the setting sun, his expression more serious. "Good."

_________________________________________________________________

I know this sucks, but trust me, this whole novel will be edited VERY thoroughly, which brings me to my next announcement!

As you may have noticed already, I have entered 'Find Me' into the Watty Awards 2015!!! This means that I really need your help! Would it be roo much to ask if you all were to vote for all of the chapters that you can? This will boost my vote count, which will help me get higher on the charts!

Also, Find Me has hit 16 in Horror...that's a new record! Thank you guys SO much! I'm still in shock!

New update comes Friday! (Only 5 chapters or so left guys! Then it's off to 'Save Me'!)

Please Comment/Vote/Follow!

xXAmy_CXx

Continua a leggere

Ti piacerà anche

2.6K 169 38
Years after her parent's died in a mysterious house fire, Cassandra Ricci just isn't the same. Constantly throwing her heart out there and once it fi...
89.7K 2K 41
UPDATE!! BOOK II: BOUND TO HIM IS NOW AVAILABLE!! NEW CHAPTER POSTED EVERY THURSDAY!!! *** It was supposed to be a simple trade off with her father b...
2M 59.8K 32
THIS STORY WILL BECOME FREE ON MARCH 21, 2024! ***** Emmy's life is going just...
498K 17K 43
《 Highest Ranking: #5 in Vampire 》 "Is that Marcus? Marcus as in, from our High School Marcus!" Casey squeaked. I spun around, not quite believing h...