Cosmo || Doctor Who

By blink_and_youre_dead

where a boy meets an alien and travels the universe Book 1 of the Spaceman Series. 334,926 Words Part One... More

Cosmo
Volume One
1 : Back Chat
2 : Jealousy
3 : Action This Day
4 : Save Me
5 : Leaving Home Ain't Easy
6 : Machines (Or Back To Humans)
7 : Keep Yourself Alive
8 : If You Can't Beat Them
9 : A Human Body
10 : Was It All Worth It
11 : Father To Son
12 : Don't Lose Your Head
13 : Dead On Time
14 : These Are The Days Of Our Lives
15 : The Night Comes Down
16 : Sleeping On The Sidewalk
17 : Dreamer's Ball
18 : The Miracle
19 : You Can't Fool Me
20 : Let Me Live
21 : Play The Game
22 : Fight From The Inside
23 : Too Much Love Will Kill You
24 : My Life Has Been Saved
Volume Two
25 : Transformations
26 : A Skeleton Of Something More
27 : Bright Sadness
28 : Ill Equipped
29 : Touch
30 : Body
31 : Wilderness
32 : In Her Honour
33 : The Writer
34 : Enabling Environment
35 : Clockwork
36 : Heart
37 : Parallels
38 : All This To Say
39 : Tension & Thrill
40 : Night Must End
41 : Son
42 : Almost Idyllic
43 : Today Has Been OK
44 : Image Of A Black Hole
46 : The Great Conjunction
47 : Mission Complete
48 : Earth
49 : The Ink From Books
50 : Daughter
51 : Tethered
52 : Divine Creation
53 : Ghosts
54 : I'll Keep You Safe
55 : Uneven Odds
56 : Heaven Breaks
Volume Three
57 : Kick Off
58 : At Least We Made It This Far
59 : Part Of It
60 : A Hurt Like That
61 : If You Want It
62 : Everything Will Be
63 : Let It All Out
64 : Pressing On
65 : There Was No Thief
66 : Empty House
67 : Can't Complain
68 : The Scene And Herd
69 : Forward Motion
70 : Detestation and Reform
71 : Softer To Me
72 : The Vinyl Countdown

45 : Awake

432 33 61
By blink_and_youre_dead

𝔖𝔞𝔫𝔠𝔱𝔲𝔞𝔯𝔶 𝔅𝔞𝔰𝔢 𝔖𝔦𝔵, 𝔎𝔯𝔬𝔭 𝔗𝔬𝔯
𝔜𝔢𝔞𝔯 4221

When the crew entered night shift, they all gathered in that room with the lettering on the walls as it acted as a canteen. The Doctor leant against it, glasses on, clearly frustrated. There wasn't much he couldn't do, and this just made everything more difficult than it needed to be.

Zack hadn't joined them, like all of the others, because he was confined to the control room for the majority of his time. However, he still had access to talk to them, and sort of see what they were doing from there.

"Danny, check the temperature in Ood Habitation. It seems to be rising."

     Rose was hungry, so she momentarily left them to find something edible in the canteen. EJ couldn't bring himself to eat yet. His stomach was still all over the place. However, the Doctor wasn't paying him any attention. He was far too focused on the lettering, which EJ was pretending to care about.

"Like the hair, by the way." He said, tilting his attention somewhere else, just in case the Doctor looked his way. "Suits you."

  "Oh, yeah?" The spaceman sounded surprised, and he smiled, softly. "I was trying out something new."

  "Stop flirting, you too." Rose slammed her tray down on the table. It cut their conversation a lot shorter than EJ was expecting. "That Ood just said something weird."

  "What sort of weird?" The Doctor asked.

  "Just... weird."

  The Thompson boy shook his head. "Great, cos that's useful, isn't it?"

  She snapped back. "I was just saying."

"Alright, alright..." The Doctor hushed, calming the both of them down. "No need for that, is there?"

The lights began to fizz and cut out, only momentarily, before turning back on again, almost like a pattern. At first, EJ wondered if it was normal, because of the amount of pressure the space base was under. However, as soon as they all paused, he knew that wasn't true.

Ida spoke into her watch. "Zack, we got a problem?"

"No more than usual." He sighed. "We've just got the Scarlet System burning up. Might be worth a look."

She turned to them. "You might want to see this. Moment in history."

The ceiling opened in again, only this time, it looked different. What was all blackness with dots of starlight in the far distance was red. It was this spiral, partially consumed, disappearing as time passed. This was far more ethereal.

"There." Ida pointed to it, just in case they'd missed it. "On the edge. That red cloud. That used to be the Scarlet System, home to the Pallushi, a mighty civilisation spanning a billion years, disappearing... forever. Their planets and suns, consumed. Ladies and gentlemen, we have just witnessed it's passing."

She went to close it again, and the Doctor stopped her. "No, could you leave it open? Just for a bit? I won't go mad, I promise."

"How would you know?"

"We would." EJ his his smile. "Cos you've already gone cuckoo bananas."

It made the Doctor smile, and in a situation like this one, it could be no bad thing. Ida handed out a few jobs, "Scooti, check the airlock. Jefferson, sign of the airlock seals for me." And then everything returned back to the way it was.

It left only EJ, Rose and the Doctor together in the room, looking up at the space above them. There was a moment where EJ didn't want it to end, because it just looked so brilliant. And then, he remembered that he couldn't return home, which sealed the deal. As lovely as it was, it didn't compare to his family.

Rose sighed as she spoke softly. "I've seen films and things, yeah. They say black holes are like gateways to another universe."

"Not that one." The Doctor grimaced. "It just eats."

EJ mimicked her tone. "It's pretty, though."

"Long way from home." He didn't think he'd ever see Rose homesick; she'd always been so vocal about travelling.

  "Go that way." The Doctor pointed up to the ceiling, up to space. "Turn right, keep going for, er... about 500 years, then you'll reach the Earth."

She picked the phone out of her pocket, looked at it briefly, before setting it on the table in disappointment. "No signal. That's the first time we've gone out of range. Mind you, even if I could... what would I tell her? Can you build another Tardis?"

"They were grown, not built." He corrected, and all hope was stamped out. "And with my home-planet gone... we're kind of stuck."

"Well, could be worse. This lot said they'd give us a lift."

"If they ever got off the planet." EJ sneered. "That could be in forty years... God, I'd be old."

The Doctor raised an eyebrow. "And then what?"

"I dunno." Rose shrugged. "Find a planet. Get a job. Live a life. Same as the rest of the universe."

"I'd have to settle down." He grilled his lips on disappointment. "Get a house or something. A proper house with... with... with... doors and things. Carpets. Me! Living in a house! Now, that... that is terrifying!"

"You'd have to get a mortgage." There was a sing-song tone in her voice.

"No!"

"Oh, yes!"

EJ chuckled. "Brilliant."

"I'm dying." Was his response, shaking his dead. "That's it, I'm dying, it's all over."

"What about me? I'd have to get one too!" Rose exclaimed, something changed in her tone. "I dunno, could be he same one, we could both... I dunno. All sorts of..."

The Doctor thinned his lips and sucked in a deep breath. "Anyway!"

"We'll see."

"I refuse to get a mortgage." EJ blinked slowly, he didn't like the tension. It made him uncomfortable. "I'm not buying a 43rd century house. It's not happening."

  His humour didn't make a difference. "I promised Jackie I'd always take you back home."

  Rose looked at him, sorrowfully. "Everyone leaves home in the end."

  "Not to end up stuck here."

  "Yeah, but stuck with you two," Even she was trying to lighten the mood now; it was the bounciest she'd been since Queen Victoria and the werewolf. "That's not so bad."

  He smiled. "Yeah."

  "Yes."

  "Sweet." EJ nodded, still slightly stilted. "I'm flattered."

     It would have been nice to have that one happy moment, but it was ruined within an instant. Rose's phone rang, which was odd since they were out of range, but she answered it all the same. However, only seconds later, she threw it to the ground in fear. That confirmed they couldn't stay there. They needed to find out what was happening.

The Doctor decided that Ood Habitation was the best place to begin, considering that was where the first issue originated. Danny was in there, alone, with what must have been at least two hundred Ood. It seemed like an interesting job, where ethics turned into animal herding.

"Evening!" The Doctor exclaimed, jumping over the last few steps.

Rose smiled his way. "Only us."

"The mysterious throuple."

EJ smirked. "Sounds kinky."

  "Course that's what you'd go to." The Tyler girl cackled, which allowed the Thompson boy to grin with her.

  "How are you then?" Danny asked, curiously. "Settling in?"

  "Yeah, sorry, straight to business." The Doctor dismissed the question. "The Ood, how do they communicate? I mean, with each other."

  "Oh, just empaths. There's a low level telepathic field connecting them. Not that that does them much good, they're basically a herd race. Like cattle."

  "So much for ethics." EJ sneered. "This is like a farm."

  "This telepathic field, can it pick up messages?"

  Rose half raised her hand. "Cos I was having dinner and one of the Ood said something... well, odd."

  "Mmh." Danny seemed amused. "An odd Ood."

  "And then I got something else on my er... communicator thing."

  "Well, be fair. We've got a whole star systems burning up around us." He scoffed, gently. "There's all sorts of stray transmissions. Probably nothing."

  EJ raised an eyebrow, not completely convinced by his words at all. "Probably?"

  "Look, if there was something wrong, it would show. We monitor the telepathic field. It's the only way to look after them. They're so stupid, they don't even tell us when they're ill."

  "Monitor the field." The Doctor hummed as he turned to a yellow machine. "That's this thing?"

     EJ stared at it from a small distance. He didn't want to mess it up in any way by accidentally pressing a button he wasn't supposed to, though it would have been funny. Though, he could see what it read on the screen. BASIC - 5. However, that number was rapidly changing.

     "Yeah, but like I said, it's low level telepathy." Danny shook his head. "They only register basic 5."

  "Well, that's not basic 5. 10... 20..."

     EJ was staring down at the Ood, and he was taken by surprise. Their heads, in unison, raised, and straightened. For a herd species, they weren't acting as much like individuals as they should have been. They didn't look passive.

     "They've gone up to basic 30!" The Doctor exclaimed, taken by surprise.

  Danny shook his head. "But they can't!"

  "Doctor," Rose called for him. "The Ood."

  "They're not being... I don't know... gentle?" EJ attempted to convey his thoughts, but he was still a little bit of a mess.

  "What does basic 30 mean?" The blonde queried.

  "It means they're shouting," Said Danny, distressed. "Screaming inside their heads."

  "Or," The Doctor suggested. "Something's shouting at them."

  "But where's it coming from? What's it saying? What did it say to you?"

  Rose panicked slightly as he asked her, like she'd already forgotten. "Something about the beast and the pit."

  "What about your communicator?" Danny questioned, hoping it might provide some more light on the situation. "What did that say?"

  Their eyes all focused on her, as they waited, and then she spoke. "He is awake."

  "And you will worship him."

     There was something innately terrifying about a chorus of voices all sounding the same as they recalled. EJ felt his arms overcome with goosebumps, like another layer upon his skin. It stopped something within him, something which stuck genuine fear.

     The voice was low. It had bass. It was filled with gravitas in the way that it was inviting. EJ wanted to stop listening, but he couldn't. It was surrounding him, and it was everywhere.

     Danny seemed to be struck by the same fear, and his eyes widened. "What the hell?"

  The Doctor leant forwards, intrigued, making his presence known. "He is awake."

  "And you will worship him." A shiver ran over EJ's back.

  "Worship who?" He commanded an answer but it never came. "Who's talking to you? Who is it?"

     When no answer came to them, they went into the Ood pit instead. The Doctor began to examine them. He hoped that the sonic might provide them with more knowledge, but it didn't. Nothing could explain what was happening.

     And then, another quake hit, and they were knocked over once again. EJ was getting sick of it, especially as he fell to the ground this time. His back was still sore from falling from the beams not so long ago, and this just made it ache once again. The timing was absolutely rubbish.

     "I can't live like this, Doctor." EJ groaned as he picked himself up from the metal grated ground, rubbing his arms. "I'll die before I die like this."

  "Emergency, hull breach. Emergency, hull breach."

  Danny held his wrist up to the comms. "Which section?"

"Everyone, evacuate 11 to 13. We've got a breach." Zack replied. "The base is open, repeat, the base is open."

Apparently, running was the only option, as it always seemed to be with the Doctor. They weren't in any immediate danger, but the Doctor wanted to find the others. The only issue was, EJ didn't know where they were running to this time. There were so many doors and tunnels, it was almost impossible to find his way around. He was glad that the others were in front of him.

     "I can't contain the oxygen field. We're gonna lose it!"

     They landed in another one of the passageway tunnels, which was rocking back and forth. However, they weren't expecting to see Mr Jefferson dragging Ida and Toby through the door with him. The latter of the two men landed on his stomach, and continued to stay on the ground. He looked genuinely terrified.

     The automated system began to speak. "Breach sealed. Breach sealed."

  "You alright?" The Doctor ran over to them. "What happened? What was it?"

  "Hull breach. We were open to the elements." Mr Jefferson informed, breathless. "Another couple of minutes and we'd be inspecting that black hole at close quarters."

  "That wasn't a quake. What caused it?"

     EJ didn't like seeing Toby on his own in the corner, so he dragged Rose over so they could help him to his feet. He seemed tentative to the touch, which was more bothered than he'd seemed about anything thus far. It made the Thompson boy think- something must have happened to him.

  "We've lost sections 11 to 13." Zack sighed through the comms. "Everyone alright?"

  "We've got everyone here but Scooti." Said the older man. "Scooti, report. Scooti Manista, this is an order, report!"

  Suddenly, the comms turned on again. "She's alright. I've picked up her biochip. She's in Habitation Three. Better go and check if she's not responding, she might be unconscious. How about that, eh? We survived!"

  EJ grumbled beneath his breath as Toby checked over his shaking hands. "It would be nice if you weren't so surprised by that."

"Habitation Three, come on." Mr Jefferson rallied them. "I don't often say this, but I think we could all do with a drink. Come on."

  The others went on, but they stayed behind a moment when EJ noticed that Toby had no intention of moving. The Doctor crouched down in front of him. "What happened?"

  "I- I don't know. I was working, and then- I... I can't remember." He shook like a leaf. "All that noise. The room was falling apart. Their was no air..."

  "Come on. Up you get." Rose wrappers her arm through his, and helped him up to his feet, letting him lean on EJ for support. "Come and have some Protein 1."

  "Ooh, you've gone native!" The Doctor chuckled.

  "Oi, don't knock it, it's nice." EJ was trying not to laugh too. "Protein 1 with a dash of 3."

    They both seemed fairly surprised by their response, but when they arrived in Habitation Three, there was no time to ponder upon it. Everyone was scrambling because Scooti wasn't there. She was supposed to be, according to Zack, but he must have been wrong.

"There's no sign of her." Jefferson mumbled as he thought. "But the biochip says she's in this area."

Ida spoke into her comms device, hoping that the girl would hear her. "Scooti, please respond. If you can hear this, please respond. Habitation Six?"

"Nowhere here..." EJ and Rose helped sit Toby down; it was like he was weak. "Zack, we've got a problem. Scooti's still missing."

"But it says Habitation Three."

"Yeah, well, that's where I am, and I'm telling you, she's not here."

Because the Thompson boy was so concerned with the stranger, he'd forgotten the Doctor had a mind of his own until he spoke in a somber tone. "I've found her."

Rose covered her mouth. "Oh my God."

EJ followed his gaze, and closed his eyes tightly, because he didn't want to see it any more. Scooti, the young, happy blonde girl from earlier, was floating in space above them. She wasn't moving, and she was obviously dead, but it was the cold eyed stare.

"Sorry." The Doctor apologised, taking EJ's hand as he struggled to walk over without looking up above him. "I'm sorry."

"Captain," Mr Jefferson dropped his head. "Report, Officer Scootori Manista, PKD... deceased. 43K, 2.1."

"She was 20." Ida whispered in disbelief as she stepped to close the roof over. "Only 20 years old."

As the grey covers spread across space, cutting away their view of Scooti, Jefferson spoke some words of wisdom, which were far more meaningful than EJ was expecting. "For how should man die better, than facing fearful odds. For the ashes of his father, and the temple of his Gods."

No one knew what to say, so no one dared speak.

EJ leant his head into the Doctor's chest. For one reason or another, he was having an emotional day. It happened every so often, but never yet with the Doctor. Now, he was just being clingy. All he wanted to do was be close to someone.

When he was at home, there was always someone there willing to hold him. Whether that was Elliott, who understood that hugs were the best medicine, or Ty who loved EJ like a brother, or even Taylor, who only was willing because he was freezing almost all of the time. It didn't matter really, not when it came down to it, only that EJ was mildly embarrassed.

     All that could be heard was the incessant drilling, a noise which refused to cease. It made EJ cringe as he stood there. And then, it halted, like it had never started in the first place. The only remnants of it were the echoes, which took a moment longer to pause.

Ida's eyes widened in surprise. "It's stopped."

"What was that?" Rose asked, but her head turned to the Doctor. "What was that?"

Of course, he knew. "The drill."

"We've stopped drilling." Ida seemed impressed by it. "We've made it. Point Zero."

     Of course, that set everything in motion. There must have been a preset plan beforehand, something that they weren't aware of, and had to piece together as they went. Zack was directing people over the comms as the others ran off to their various places. Perhaps, if EJ had been feeling more comfortable, he might have followed someone other than the Doctor.

     "All non-essential Ood to be confined."

     Rose and EJ were lead into a transportation room, which made the plan clear. Ida was going to be sent down the shaft they'd drilled to the surface, in hope of finding the power source. She would be going alone.

     It was a hideous neon orange space suit, which was a little baggy, and not made for someone of her height. Fashion wasn't going to stop their mission, but EJ wished it had been something they had taken into consideration. At least the Apollo astronauts had looked rather cool.

     "Capsule established, all systems functioning!" Ida announced to the log. "The mineshaft is go. Bring systems online now!"

  "Reporting as volunteer for the expeditionary force, sir!" EJ's head snapped to the Doctor when he heard his voice; Zack was stood there too. He too was wearing a spacesuit, the helmet beneath his arm.

  "Doctor, this is breaking every single protocol." Zack sighed. "We don't even know who you are."

  "Yeah, but you trust me, don't you? And you can't let Ida go down there on her own. Go on. Look me in the eye. Yes, you do. I can see it. Trust."

  There was this disgust in the way he spoke about himself. "I should be going down."

  "The captain doesn't lead the mission." The Doctor countered. "He stays here, in charge."

  "Not much good at it, am I?" It was a fleeting remark before he shook himself off, silently agreeing to the Doctor's request. "Positions! We're going down in two! Everyone, positions. Mr Jefferson, I want maximum systems..."

     EJ didn't waste much time in racing over to the Doctor, but when he got there, he wasn't sure what he should do. The Doctor was leaving them by choice, and he was frozen, just looking at his face. He seemed to notice the unease, and tried to distract them both.

     "Oxygen. Nitrobalance. Gravity." The Doctor smiled. "It's ages since I wore one of these."

  Rose offered this queasy grin, putting on a brave face. "I want that spacesuit back in one piece, you got that?"

  "Yes, sir." He put on the helmet, and EJ could only wish he took it off.

  "S'funny cos people back home think that space travel's gonna be all... whizzing about and... teleports, anti-gravity, but it's not, is it? It's tough."

  She was beginning to spiral, so the Doctor made sure she couldn't ponder any further. "Not if I see you first."

     Her hands were placed either side of the helmet, as she leant forwards on her toes, kissing the glass between them both. EJ would eventually come to admit it made him jealous, as his immediate response was to engulf the Doctor into his own arms. The impact knocked him back ever so slightly.

"You gonna be alright?" The Doctor queried, unsure as he rubbed EJ's back, slowly, before pulling back to see his face.

He was frightened, but it didn't stop him. "I need you to come back."

"I know." It really did seem like he understood, and pursed his lips. "I will."

"We've got to stop doing this."

"You can come with me next time." The Doctor was far too cheery; but he knew it wouldn't happen, not when EJ was so touch and go. "I'll be fine, just you watch, back in no time."

The Thompson boy mimicked Rose's actions as he pulled the Doctor closer, unable to look into his eyes any longer. A kiss was pressed to the glass, which meant he missed the Doctor's eyes flutter shut in momentary contentment. When he pulled away, and walked back towards Rose, he stared at the freckled face opposite him.

"I know you will be." EJ smiled because he had to. "You always are."

     There was a countdown in the background as they stepped into the lift. The Doctor and Ida were side by side. It was a good thing that they'd been getting along before now.

     Mr Jefferson saluted them, and Rose waved, like they would only be five minutes, because that was the plan. All the way down, a small exposition, then all the way back up again. The Doctor was so at peace that he waved back. EJ tried to smile, but he couldn't bring himself to look so happy.

     He was almost thankful that the lift had moved, because at least he could then show the nervousness on his face. Everyone was feeling it. This was the moment they had waited for.

     There was a graphic animation on one of the screens, demonstrating the positioning of the capsule. EJ's eyes were trained upon it, but he could still see Toby in the corner. He didn't want to be apart of anything. Being alone was his cure.

     "You've gone below the oxygen field." Zack spoke to them through the comms, having returned to the control room. "You're on your own."

  Rose was holding the yellow device to her lips, speaking through it. "Don't forget to breath. Breathings good."

  "Rose, stay off the comms."

  "No chance." She scoffed.

     EJ began to pace as they moved, because there was nothing else he could do. All of his things, his journals, his sketch books, were all on the Tardis. He couldn't message anyone. It was like the whole world wanted him to be stressed and bored in such a dire time.

     And then, there was a rattle. The sort which shook the room of the base they were stood inside. When he looked at the screen, it showed that point zero had been met, but with no correspondence, Rose grew nervous.

     "Doctor?" She asked, warily. "Doctor, are you alright?"

  "Ida. Report to me... Doctor?" Zack contributed to the widening worry and paranoia; it was almost like an infectious disease.

  "It's alright. We've made it." The Doctor's voice lifted a weight from his chest. "We're getting out of the capsule now."

  "What's it like down there?"

  "Hard to tell. Some sort of cave, cavern. It's massive."

  "This should help." They could hear Ida too, taking charge. "Gravity globe... That's... that...oh my God. That's beautiful."

  EJ could only imagine the sights down below; and hopefully the Doctor would tell him one day, and his voice when they couldn't see him was enough to soothe a thousand ills. "Rose... you can tell Toby... we've found his civilisation."

  "Oi, Toby." She grinned as she turned to him. "Sounds like you've got plenty of work."

     Toby Zed was odd. He was possibly he oddest person that EJ was yet to meet. Something had spooked him, because he was mumbling to himself now like a man gone mad. Good. Over and over again like a mantra as he wrung his hands.

"Concentrate now, people, keep on the mission." Zack disrupted. "Ida, what about the power source?"

"We're close. Energy signature indicated north-north-west. Are you getting pictures up there?"

"Too much interference. We're in your hands."

Ida sighed, before replying. "Well, we've come this far. There's no turning back."

"Oh, did you have to?" The Doctor groaned; EJ could only imagine his face. "No turning back?! That's almost as bad as 'nothing could possibly co wrong' or 'it's gonna be the best Christmas Walford's ever had'."

"Have you finished?"

There was silence on the line, and just as the Thompson boy began to worry, he heard the Doctor again. "Yeah. I've finished."

  Until Danny came on the comms, EJ had forgotten he was even there, because he'd found himself in Ood Habitation once again. "Captain, sir, there's something happening with the Ood."

  "What are they doing?"

  "They're staring at me." Such a simple thing had shaken him to his core. "I've told them to stop but they won't."

  If they'd have seen Zack, he would have been rolling his eyes. "Danny, you're a big boy, I think you can take being stared at."

  "But the telepathic field, sir. It's at basic - 100. I've checked, but there isn't any fault. It's definitely 100."

  "But that's impossible."

  EJ's ears pricked up, and he turned to Rose, suggesting she ask. "Why?"

  "What's basic - 100 mean?" The Tyler girl queried on his behalf.

  Danny was living in a state of disbelief as he replied. "They should be dead."

  "Basic - 100 is brain death." Mr Jefferson clarified.

  "But they're safe?" Zack pondered. "They're not actually moving."

  "No, sir."

  "Keep watching them. And you, Jefferson, keep a guard on the Ood."

  "Officer at arms!"

  His routine was militant, and generally, off putting, so EJ was glad when Rose retorted. "You can't fire a gun in here. What if you hit a wall?"

"Firing stock 15. Only impacts upon organics." He said it like it meant something to EJ, but he didn't shrug, in case it annoyed the man. "Keep watch! Guard them!"

One of the others nodded. "Yes, sir."

"Is everything alright up there?" The Comms mustn't have been left on, because the Doctor sounded concerned.

Rose nodded. "Yeah, yeah."

"It's fine." Zack agreed.

Danny was being sarcastic. "Great!"

"We've found something." The Doctor told them, eventually. "It looks like metal, like some sort of seal. I've got a nasty feeling the word might be trapdoor. Never met I trapdoor I liked."

"The edge is covered with those symbols." Ida added.

Zack queried. "D'you think it opens?"

"That's what trapdoors tend to do."

"Trapdoor doesn't do it justice. It's massive, Zack. About thirty feet in diameter."

"Don't know." Ida replied. "I can't see any sort of mechanism."

The Doctor offered. "I suppose that's the writing. It'll tell us what to do. The letters that defy translation."

"Toby, did you get anywhere with decoding it?"

Zack had asked originally, but Rose relayed the message, which was when EJ turned to face him. "Toby, they need to know- that lettering, does it make any sort of sense?"

He was curled into himself, and the Thompson boy stood closer. "Toby? It's important."

"I know what it says." His voice wasn't his own, and EJ noticed it immediately.

"Then tell them!" Rose pushed.

Mr Jefferson scoffed, and rolled his eyes. "When did you work that out?"

"Just tell them!"

There was something off with Toby, and EJ had been able to see it for a while. However, this was the first time that there was a physical transformation. His eyes had changed into this bright red, piercing to look at. And across all of his skin were the runes and lettering. He seemed possessed.

"These are the words of the beast, and he has woken. He is the heart that beats in the darkness. He is the blood that will never cease, and now, he will rise."

Mr Jefferson pulled a gun from his jacket. "Officer, you will stand down. Stand down!"

"What is it? What's he doing? What's happening?" The Doctor was practically shouting at them through the comms. "EJ? Rose? What's going on?"

"Jefferson, report... Report!"

  "Officer, you've compromised security. You will stand down and be confined, immediately!"

  EJ stepped back so that he could stand beside Rose, away from Toby. However, it didn't stop him from grumbling. "Cos that's going to work."

  There was something in the red eyes Toby possessed which could see into their souls; the boy never doubted it. "Mr Jefferson, tell me, sir... did your wife ever forgive you?"

  "I don't know what you mean." He scoffed.

  "Let me tell you a secret." There was an enticing quality to him, perhaps even borderline attractive. "She never did."

  "Officer, you will stand down and be confined!"

  "Or what?" He tilted his head, really testing the waters.

  Mr Jefferson's he tightened. "Under Condition Red, I'm authorised to shoot you."

  "But how many can you kill?"

     EJ might have asked what he meant, or the thing inside of him, but it was swiftly answered for him anyhow. A black smoke was exhaled from his lungs, and slowly, it spread through the air. It didn't attack them, despite expecting it too. Instead, they watched it infect the Ood, one by one.

     As their eyes turned red, they shook violently, obviously unable to control themselves anymore. There were only three in the room with them. It seemed three too many.

     When the black smoke had been completely expelled from his lungs, Toby collapsed to the floor. There were no rune marks over his skin anymore, nor were his eyes like blood. Whatever happened had been eradicated from his body, and hopefully, his mind. 

     Instead of speaking through Toby, they used the Ood. "We are the legion of the beast. The legion shall be many, and the legion shall be few."

  Rose spoke into the comms, informing the other areas. "It's the Ood."

  "Sir, we have contamination of the livestock."

  "Doctor, I don't know what it is."

  EJ was growing impatient, and he snatched the receiver from his friend so that he could finally speak to the Doctor. "Whatever was in Toby's moved to the Ood, like a, um, spatial bacterial transfer."

  "Its like they're possessed!" Rose agreed.

  Mr Jefferson shook his head. "They won't listen to us."

  "He has woven himself through the fabric of your life since the dawn of time." Whenever they spoke, EJ could feel himself tense. "Some may call him Abbadon, some may call him Krop Tor. Some may call him Satan, or King of Despair."

  "Captain, it's the Ood." Danny agreed. "They're out of control."

  "The Deathless Prince, the Bringer of Night. These are the words that shall set him free."

  Only when the Ood attempted to near them did they begin to back away. Mr Jefferson was taking charge. "Back up to the door!"

  "I am become manifest." It said. "I shall walk in the light."

  "Too the door!"

  "And my legions will swarm..."

  EJ wasn't the closest to the door, so he didn't know what was taking so long; neither did Mr Jefferson, who was holding a gun at them. "Get out!"

  "Across the worlds..."

     As they began to move up the stairs, the shaking started once again. It was like everything that could go wrong, was. EJ reached for Rose's hand, because he was beginning to struggle. This was the worst decision of his life so far.

     "I am the sun and the temptation and the desire. I am the pain and the loss and the death of hope."

Mr Jefferson was still directing the gun as he backed away, but it really seemed like he didn't want to. "Get that door open!"

"I have been imprisoned for eternity, but no more." The Ood we're closing in, and that was when it became apparent that the door wasn't going to open, not at all. They were stuck. "The pit is open and I am free."

✯ ★ ✯

Disclaimer!!!
I do not own Doctor Who, it's characters and original storylines. The only things I do own are my own characters, my addition to the series and my own storylines. Any similarities to real life are purely coincidental.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.6K 420 12
DOCTOR WHO | 9 & 10 -"Weirdo!" ------> She was found alone and in pain, scorch marks and burnt wings. He was searching around space and time for any...
8.2K 346 15
EDITED COMPLETE Doctor Who Series One The Doctors Daughter
2.1K 79 11
𝘊𝘶𝘱𝘪𝘥 /ˈ𝘬𝘫𝘶ː𝘱ɪ𝘥/ (𝘓𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘯: 𝘊𝘶𝘱ī𝘥ō [𝘬ʊˈ𝘱𝘪ː𝘥𝘰ː], 𝘮𝘦𝘢𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘨 "𝘱𝘢𝘴𝘴𝘪𝘰𝘯𝘢𝘵𝘦 𝘥𝘦𝘴𝘪𝘳𝘦") 𝘪𝘴 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘨𝘰𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘥𝘦...
309 46 5
Alcyone Hart has spent all her life studying stars and planets and galaxies, believing there's more than meets the eye. She wouldn't call herself a t...