Hidden

By mholbrook2

I was a floating wolf, a mere servant who hid in the shadows, cooking, and cleaning without being seen. It wa... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22

Chapter 6

792 21 3
By mholbrook2

I hovered my hand over the service door. It was a simple task to open a door. I've done it a million times. Even small children can do it, so I can, too. Can't I? I chewed my lip nervously, the bitter taste of blood on my tongue. He wasn't even here and I couldn't even step in his room.

I need to get myself together.

I squeezed my fist, remembering what my mother told me. He hasn't been here, so there shouldn't be much to do. I only ensured everything was in order before he returned home today. In and out. I took in a deep breath before pushing the door open.

Let's get this over with.

His room was the same as the last time I was here. There were little tweaks like the arrangement of furniture, but nothing else had changed. His room held a simple design of all black furniture. A neatly made bed sat in the middle of the room, appearing small in the large space. Truthfully, his bed could swallow ours whole. Unfair, considering I woke up with toes up my nostrils, but at least we weren't on the floor, I guess.

Well, most nights.

Sometimes, I really did end up on the floor.

My gaze landed on his bed again. Images of the two of us entangled together swarmed my mind. His bare chest beneath my fingertips. His soft lips on mine. The thought alone was enough to raise the temperature of the room to a thousand. I peeled my eyes from the bed, trying to ignore the unfamiliar, and very uncomfortable feeling in my stomach.

I craved his skin on mine. I wanted-

No!

I reeled my thoughts in, reminding myself I needed to focus. I was already melting in a puddle from this suffocating place, and I had only been here for a few minutes. Everything smelled of him and I was tempted to steal something, or everything, and take it back home with me.

I'm turning into a crazed wolf.

I checked every inch of his room. I made sure there wasn't a speck of dust on the surfaces and that all of his clothes were neatly folded and organized. Millie had worked here before me, and she was always really thorough. There were only a few things that were out of place here and there, but I made sure to go over everything again in case. My entire family would be blamed, and I didn't want to cause them any more trouble than I already was.

A velvet square drew my attention on one of the bedside tables. I had never seen it here before. I gently picked it up, my fingers tracing the soft material that covered the box. My thumb stopped at the small crack that separated the two halves. I was tempted to open it. I was sure whatever lay inside was breathtakingly beautiful.

I froze when I heard rattling from behind me, dropping the box back in its place. I looked at the alarm clock on the table in front of me. I got distracted. I stayed too long. I cursed myself, angry that I found myself in this situation again.

Dread overtook me as I shot for the service door. I had one obstacle in my way. The bed. If I hurled myself over it, would I make it? Judging from the size of it, definitely not. I didn't have enough time to run around it and that left only one option.

I scuffled under the bed as the sound of heels began clapping against the floor. I resisted the urge to growl at the thought of another female in my mate's room. My wolf wanted to fight, but I knew that would only end in a disaster. A normal wolf would be harshly punished for attacking another pack member, I'd be killed.

Why was she here in the first place? He wasn't here yet.

My heartbeat raced in my chest as her shiny black shoes stopped right by my hand. The room was eerily quiet as I anticipated her movements. It was like I was in a horror movie. There was nothing to hide my presence other than the furniture above my head. A weaker wolf might not be able to detect my presence, but I felt the power radiating from her. She was no ordinary wolf. I found myself pleading to the moon goddess to get me out of this as she had done in the past.

Apparently, she hated me.

"Hello, little maid."

My heart leaped out of my chest.

Dark eyes emerged, and I was suddenly dragged by my shirt. I tried pushing her arms away, a weak attempt to escape, but it was no use. She moved me like a ragdoll. My lungs stopped functioning as she tossed me across the floor, and my back hit the wall with a thud. I winced, curling into myself. She took slow steps towards me before she squatted over me, lifting my chin with her fingers.

Her eyes glared into mine.

"You're so weak, it's pathetic."

My vision blurred, but I refused to cry. She was right, I was far from strong but I wouldn't show her. The smirk on her face only brewed anger in me. I wanted to wipe it off her perfect face.

"I'm not..." My voice was foreign to my ears. I whispered, moving my head from her grip. "I'm not weak."

She snickered, petting my hair like I was her puppy. I growled lowly at her, my head tilting up to match her icy glare. She tilted her head in surprise at my challenge, her eyes amused. This was all a game to her. She was only playing with me.

"You're a little feisty for a servant, aren't you?" She clicked her tongue and moved her lips to my ear. "I think I'll play with you while I wait. I'm mating Alpha Rowen tonight. He'll take care of you when we're done."

I wasn't able to stop myself. I connected my knee with her thigh. Pain radiated through my leg, but I felt satisfied I managed to hit her. She growled, gripping my hair in a tight grip. I lunged for her, my claws grazing her clothed stomach before she quickly leaped away from me with a snarl.

"You stupid bitch."

Normally, I would bow my head and apologize. Beg for them to leave me alone. It was what my family taught me. It was expected of me. Never once did I want to fight.

But this girl.

I wanted to beat her ass.

Hot red emotions boiled in my chest. I was probably facing my deathbed right now, but for once I didn't care. She appeared before me in a flash, her fist slamming into my side. I yelped in pain as I fell to the floor, but I pushed myself back to my feet.

I tried to watch her moves carefully, but I was barely able to avoid strikes. Her attacks were rapid, much faster than Helios in our training and if it wasn't for the little advice he'd given thus far, I'd be dead already. I had low stamina, and I feared I couldn't keep up much longer.

In one swift move, she pinned me to the floor and squeezed my neck with her hands. My hands shot to her arms, but they didn't budge. I was defeated.

She was going to kill me.

"You're pathetically weak."

"You mentioned," I spat, dryly.

She responded with more pressure on my neck, completely cutting off my oxygen. I forced my eyes close with the burn of my lungs. Already accepting my fate.

Suddenly, she stopped.

My eyes snapped open. Her gaze stared down at me with an unfamiliar look.

"I knew it was a servant," She whispered under her breath. "Rowen's too stubborn to believe me."

My eyes widened in shock as she roughly let go, kneeling beside me.

What?

"You're his mate, aren't you?" Her eyes met mine. "I'm Alana. Beta Jax's sister."

She didn't wait for me to respond. I was too busy gasping for air to process what was going on.

"I figured." She rose to her feet. Turning to face me. "It was you or your sister."

I coughed, and she tilted her head to the side.

"Don't worry, sweetheart, I won't fuck him. He's like my brother." She spoke casually as if she was doing me a favor. "I just needed your reaction to be sure it's you."

I wish she'd just ask me.

"Thanks." I grumbled, finding the strength to push myself up on my elbows.

"Not everyone wants your mate." She said, examining her flawless nails, "Most of them do, but not all."

That's reassuring. Most hated me for less.

"Um...that's good?"

She gave me a blank look," They're going to challenge you. You'll probably lose."

She really believes in me, huh? I thought I put up a good fight. I mean, I was still alive. My guts weren't sprawled across my mate's floor. That was a win in itself, right?

Truthfully, my chest felt heavy hearing the words. It was true, I knew that. Everyone in this pack had years of training behind their backs. I had nothing but washing dishes and navigating wet floors.

"If he even accepts me." I answered her quietly.

She sighed, grabbing my arm and tugging me to my feet. It almost looked like a look of pity escaped her emotionless mask, but it disappeared as quickly as it came.

"You need to go. He'll be here soon."

"But-"

"I'll take care of everything here." She gestured to the slight mess we made. We had pushed around some furniture, but no real damage was done. He'd probably kill us both. She shoved me away from her, "You can thank me later."

"Okay," I responded hesitantly, pulling the service door open.

"Mari," she called, drawing my eyes to her. "I'll be training you while Helios is away. Meet me in the woods at 8."

"How did you-"

"I know everything," she winked, leaving me with millions of questions.

I let the door close behind me.

I blinked once.

Then, twice.

I shook my head.

She's crazy. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

88K 783 5
All species destroy what they could not understand and that happened to be me. A white wolf was a danger to my kind. I was a stand alone force to be...
181K 5K 8
*Short Story* It is difficult to stay with the people who look down at you like you are some kind of disease. It hurts when they don't want to acknow...
798 9 12
Finally he's directly in front of me I cant bare to look into his eyes, to look into an Alphas eyes is a direct challenge. I see his hand abruptly ra...
2.8M 50K 19
"You know you can't resist me much longer." He continued to trail kisses down my neck and jaw. I bit my lip to keep a moan from escaping. "I am yo...