Learning to Live

By amba9999

Sapphire loves boxing, food and cats. Being a triplet with two brothers, she learned quickly how to stand up... More

Story Description
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Part II: Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46

Chapter 27 part 2

2.1K 116 27
By amba9999

Hunter didn't come to school the next day.

I waited next to my locker with Lia until the bell rang. Ignoring the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach, I texted him and went to my first class. He didn't reply. Before getting into my second class, I called him.

It went to voice mail.

"Are you okay?" Jason asked. We had this class together.

I sat on the edge of my seat. My knee bounced. Another call went to voice mail. "Hunter's not answering his phone."

Jason frowned. "Maybe he overslept," he said with a yawn, his honey colored eyes watering. "You guys got home pretty late yesterday."

"Maybe," I mumbled to myself. Still. I felt slightly sick. I glanced up as more students trickled into the classroom.

Screw it.

I grabbed my backpack and jumped to my feet, pushing through the flow of incoming students.

"Sapph!"

Jason's call didn't even register to my ears. Fortunately, I had the car keys with me, so I went straight to the parking lot, hopped into our SUV and drove out. I knew where Hunter lived, we'd driven past it a few times when we were just driving through town, and he'd pointed it out.

With every mile closer to his place, the rock in my stomach grew heavier. And when I finally drove the car up the fancy circular driveway, I knew my anxiety hadn't been misplaced.

Hunter was standing behind his car, loading a box inside the open trunk, a suitcase next to him.

He glanced over his shoulder at the sound of my car engine and froze, surprise evident in his dark eyes.

I got out of the car, looking at the suitcase by his feet and the box in his car. My steps slowed to a halt.

"You're not answering your phone," I said, my heart beating in my throat. My hands shook. I clenched them close.

Hunter's jaw ticked, and he looked away.

"Hunter?" I took a step closer and glanced at the suitcase. "What's wrong? Where are you going?"

The front door of the monstrous white mansion opened right then, and Hunter's father stepped out. He was wearing a full black suit, his hair combed back and his eyes crinkling at the corners.

"Sapphire. I didn't know you'd be here," he said, walking until he stood at the top of the porch steps and looked at his son. "I thought you said you ended things with her."

Someone dragged the floor from beneath my feet. I shook my head, feeling disoriented, and looked at Hunter, waiting for him to tell his father he was full of shit.

He didn't.

Tucking his hands in his jean pockets, Hunter looked at me. His expression took me off guard. Gone was the warm darkness I'd grown used to over the past several months. Instead, a cold, calculative look took over his eyes.

"I didn't actually tell her. I didn't think I had to," he said. "But I guess it's a good thing you showed up now. I'm transferring schools, and we're done, you and me. It was nice while it lasted, I guess."

I took a step back. What...?

What was happening? Was I dreaming? Or was he joking? Yeah, he must be joking. A nervous chuckle slipped past my lips. "What are you talking about? Is this a joke?"

Hunter pursed his lips and turned his back to me, hefting his suitcase and dropping it in the trunk. "Go away, Sapphire. We're done."

His words cracked the fog of shock and sparked my anger. I strode towards him and shoved his back. "Look at me!"

Hunter turned, his face a blank mask. "Enough, Sapphire. Go away."

"No! I'm not going until you explain this bullshit," I said. "What's happening all of a sudden? Is something-" I glanced at his father, watching us, and lowered my voice. "Is something wrong? You can talk to me."

His jaw clenched. He lowered his face until it was inches from mine, his eyes an unforgiving black.

"Nothing is wrong. We're done. Stop embarrassing yourself and go.away."

My hands curled into fists. But my anger fizzled out like a candle under the rain before I could surrender to the urge of punching something.

It felt like my brain stopped working. I took a step back. Hunter straightened. I took another step, then another, until I walked back to my car. I got into the car, started it and drove away on autopilot.

A distant part of my brain warned me I shouldn't drive in my current state of mind. But I was too far gone to listen.

My throat tightened when I stopped at a red light. My nose prickled. Something hot trickled down my cheek. I wiped my face. Another tear followed. And another. Until I could no longer hold them back. They trickled down, quiet and hot against my skin.

The light turned green. I wiped my face and forced myself to focus on the blurry road. Ten minutes later, I was parked in our driveway behind Sam's car.

I got out, tears still streaming down my eyes. I couldn't stop them, but I held back the sobs by sheer power of will.

I should be at school. I shouldn't have missed two days on a row.

I walked to the door, fumbling with the house keys. My hands shook so much, I couldn't get the damn key in the hole.

Tears came faster, and a sob broke through. Damn it, get in! The keys refused to listen.

The door opened. Sam's face was recognizable even through the layer of tears.

"Oh, Sapphire," he mumbled.

"Hunter-" I gasped a breath. "He-"

"I'm sorry."

He pulled me into a hug, and I cried. I could almost hear the sound of my heart breaking under my cries. I held onto my big brother, feeling like a little girl who'd just lost her parents all over again. And he held me, just like he had years ago when my father died, and again when my mother took her life.

He held me tight against his chest, as if he was trying to keep my heart together. But it was too late.

Sam tugged me inside, sitting with me on the couch. I didn't know how long it was until my sobs turned into quiet tears. Then the tears stopped altogether.

Numb. Shock. I didn't know what I felt. Was this just a dream?

Sam patted my head and went to the kitchen. I curled on the couch. A memory of Hunter and me curled on it stabbed a fresh blade of pain through my heart. Sam came back with a mug of hot chocolate. As I wrapped my hands around it, its heat seeped into my skin and rekindled the memory of Hunter making me hot tea when I had my period.

I closed my eyes tightly, but the tears broke loose.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Sam asked in a low voice.

"Not really," I mumbled. My bottom lip began trembling. I took a deep breath and stood up. "I'll be in my room."

Sam opened his mouth.

"I'd like to be alone. I'm sorry."

He sighed and nodded. "Don't apologize. Take your time, you don't have to go to school today."

"Okay," I whispered and made my way to my room.

Cheddar was asleep on my bed. He raised his head and stood up when he saw it was me, stretching his body and trilling. I closed the door, put the mug on my bedside table and lay down on the bed next to him. He immediately curled next to my head and began purring.

My heart felt sore. I rubbed Cheddar's neck, the shock and sorrow bringing a fresh wave of tears with them.

It wasn't like Hunter. Even through the mess of my emotions, I knew this wasn't like him. Only yesterday we were fine. More than fine.

I remembered his behavior the previous evening. Was he saying goodbye? He knew he was going to end things between us.

But why?

It must have something to do with his father. Maybe he was forcing him to transfer. Maybe...

I hated the spark of hope that flared to life as different scenarios played in my mind.

"Don't get your hopes up, you idiot," I told myself. I got my phone out of my pocket and stared at the screen.

"Stop embarrassing yourself and go.away."

I sat up and shook my head. No. There had to be a reason. The idea if texting him felt like a stab to my dignity. But I would forever regret it if I didn't at least try.

My fingers trembled as I typed in and deleted. What should I say?

In the end, I settled for one word.

Why?

I hit send and held my breath.

Would he even answer? Maybe he still had his phone off. If he didn't answer, should I-

My phone pinged. A new message.

Sorry. It's better this way. Goodbye.

The phone fell to the mattress. No reason. No explanation. Just a goodbye.

As if I didn't even deserve the decency to know the reason. I gritted my teeth, fighting off the fresh surge of tears. But I wasn't strong enough.

So I curled next to my cat and sobbed, my heart shredded by the callous words of someone I loved more than life itself, someone I thought loved me the same.

Silly, silly me.

I didn't go to school that day, or the next. But eventually, I did. I pulled myself together and pressed on, even if just for the sake of my friends and family. I moved on, even though I didn't.

And still, a small, traitorous part of me still hoped that he would come back, that it was all just a big misunderstanding, a scheme of his father.

I still hoped. Even after his birthday passed and he turned eighteen, which meant he was no longer obliged to his father, I still hoped, like the stupid girl that I was.

It all came to a stop three months later, when Emma, of all people, told me that Hunter had gone oversees.

It was truly over between us. 

--- ---- ---

Short chapter, I know! 

But another chapter is coming in tomorrow. I debated whether or not I should split the story into two books. But I would just post it as one book for now. 

The next chapter will be set ten years later! Brace yourselves!

Much love <3 <3 <3

M.B.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.6K 794 19
Ava is a chubby, lovely and bold girl who lives with her bestfriends. She lost her mom when she was small and she lived with her bestfriends ever sin...
1.3M 44.6K 70
Reillyn Cole had experienced it all. Grief. Pain. Heartbreak. And yet, still, the cruel world continued to throw hurdles in her unendingly winding...
866K 22K 24
{Complete} (((Disclaimer))) I wrote this book/completed it when I was 13/14, it does not exhibit my current writing ability and is very much unedited...
35.1K 1.8K 71
"Aww that so sweet." "Sweet?!?" scoffing, " he is stubborn and rude." "He was sweet and helpful." Maria encountered. "You don't understand he just c...