Yamiyo no Hotaru

By Miyugihcdc

Apparently, I was reincarnated as a nameless mob in a Japanese fantasy game. ...and the genre of the game is... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Volume 2 Epilogue
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Volume 3 Epilogue
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Volume 4 Epilogue
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Volume 5 Epilogue
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 86
Volume 6 Epilogue
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Volume 7 Epilogue
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Volume 8 Epilogue
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 129 Probably in a Broad Sense, NTR
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Volume 9 Epilogue
Chapter 132
Chapter 133 Can a Skilled Hawk Hide Its Talons?
Chapter 134 To and Fro, Joys and Sorrows, Reprimand and Warning
Chapter 135
Chapter 136
Chapter 137
Chapter 138 Three Years in the Palm of Sickness
Chapter 139 Early Rising Is Worth One Story
Chapter 140
Chapter 141
Chapter 142
Chapter 143
Chapter 144
Chapter 145
Chapter 146
Chapter 147
Chapter 148
Chapter 149
Volume 10 Epilogue
Chapter 150
Chapter 151
Chapter 152
Chapter 153
Chapter 154
Chapter 155 The Inherited Will of the Lowly
Chapter 156
Chapter 157
Chapter 158
Chapter 159
Chapter 160
Chapter 161
Chapter 162
Chapter 163
Chapter 164
Chapter 165
Chapter 166
Chapter 167
Volume 11 Epilogue
Chapter 168

Chapter 128

16 0 0
By Miyugihcdc

 Drowning. Drowning. Drowning. A water mass with intent forces its way into Tamaki's open mouth. It goes down her throat, fills up her breathing passage, and heads for her lungs.

 "Ugh...!? Nghh, cough...!!?"

 She's struggling to breathe. Coughing. Moving around frantically. But fighting didn't help. Fear started to take over. Her awareness was fading. Her consciousness was slipping away. Her vision grew dimmer...

 "So annoying...!! 'Mushiage (Steam Up)'!!"

 "Gahh!!?"

 In an instant, in the blink of an eye, blinding flashes filled her vision. At the same time, the intense cold that had surrounded her started to disappear. It was as if the coldness had turned into heat and vanished into thin air. The wetness that had covered her body now lay motionless on the floor. Tamaki, who had fallen to the ground, held onto her throat and coughed.

 "Pardon me...!!"

 "Ngghhh!!?"

 Immediately, Murasaki inserted two fingers into Tamaki's throat. She then twisted and pushed a pill down. A strong bitterness engulfed her entire body, not just her tongue. She felt something stirring within. As Tamaki reflexively tried to vomit, Murasaki closed her mouth.

 "Ngghh!! Ngghh!!?"

 "Please wait, just a little longer. Just a little... now!!"

 Murasaki released her grip on Tamaki's jaw. At the same time, Tamaki threw up a lot of water and stomach contents. This was a kind of cleansing, not for bugs, but for youkai. Depending on the kind, if it's a youkai that's in the body in the early stages, using this method can help get rid of it for sure.

 "Cough, cough, cough!? Bitter... so bitter!!"

 With teary eyes, Tamaki repeatedly spat out saliva. It was truly a terrible taste. Worse than anything she had ever eaten. Her tongue was numb beyond belief.

 "I don't apologize. If I hadn't intervened, that creature would've filled your lungs and suffocated you. You brought this upon yourself."

 Murasaki scolded Tamaki sternly as she observed the unresponsive mess on the floor. Bred Suiko had significantly changed its nature from the original species. The massive size and increased aggression were just a part of it.

 From a foolish and clumsy primitive form that could temporarily liquefy itself, envelop opponents, immobilize them, and cause them to drown in its body, to the now significantly transformed and extremely vicious and malignant that became a challenge beyond comparison. It wasn't something third-rate exorcists could control. CAnd so, out of embarrassment for such incompetence, numerous cases of illegal disposal without even euthanasia had been reported. It was only natural that it was strictly forbidden to breed them as a forbidden technique.

 "While your decapitation was impressive, it's a shame that you were careless."

 "Haah... haah... Cough!?"

 While still coughing up remnants of the medicine, Tamaki struggled to catch her breath. Seeing her in that state, Murasaki retorted. Even as she did so, she thought back to the incident a while ago and felt a slight suspicion in her heart.

 (Still, that swordmanship...)

 That sword strike was indeed magnificent. Incredibly skillful. And yet, it felt out of place. The kind of movement you wouldn't expect. Could it be compared to 'using a sledgehammer to crack a nut'? Murasaki, who had practiced with her younger disciple, recognized that. That strike was obviously different from the abilities of the exorcist known as Hotoya Tamaki...

 (Why am I thinking such foolish things... Besides, that's something I can consider later!)

 It was probably her own fault for being careless! Cursing herself internally, Murasaki hastily pushed aside the low-priority doubt. In this emergency, there were countless things that needed consideration.

 "It seems... this is the end of the attack."

 Regaining her composure, Murasaki surveyed her surroundings cautiously. Upon looking, none of the moving monsters were left. About sixty, no, maybe seventy? All the 'Akaname' had returned to corpses. None had escaped. All had perished.

 "Cough... Yes, yes, it seems so. ...Haa, haa. Thank you, Miss Murasaki."

 "...You're a smooth talker, huh?"

 Coolly dismissing Tamaki's words of gratitude, which were her first words now that she was able to speak, Murasaki couldn't help but harbor a faint doubt in her heart. Even as she expressed that doubt, she brushed aside her thoughts about the incident from earlier. In this pressing situation, numerous matters demanded priority.

 Inexperienced and overly naive, undeniably recklessness is a big flaw as an exorcist. Yet, Murasaki is a human being too. As a decent person, she can't criticize or condemn that act. How could anyone be proud of abandoning a child being attacked in front of them?

 (What's more, if I acknowledged that, I wouldn't be here.)

 It was some years ago. Murasaki recalls an incident in the city's underground tunnel and internally makes an excuse. If she had abandoned things due to fear of danger, where would she be now? ...If she were to thoroughly criticize Tamaki, it would be a denial of that servant and of herself. It's impossible.

 "Hmph. At most, you need to think carefully before acting next time. Thinking you can always get away with things is a big mistake."

 Saying this, Murasaki scolds with caution, yet simultaneously, she realizes that until this younger disciple has enough strength to uphold her pride, it's inevitable to offer support within her reach. The present Hotoya Tamaki, as an exorcist, is still in a transitional period of growth.

 In other words, they are connected, but whether Murasaki herself is aware of it remains unclear.

 "...The city guards are coming. It's better to leave this place quickly."

 "Huff, huff, huh? Why...?"

 Meanwhile, without any sentiment, Shirowakamaru, who had been cautious of the surroundings, clicked her tongue at the distant commotion. In response, Tamaki, who was out of breath, asks. She furrows her brows, wondering. To Tamaki, who was on the brink of suffocation, it would have been nice to rest a bit longer. The odd choice of words made her curious, as if they were fleeing.

 "Do you want unnecessary suspicion on us? If we stay here carelessly, we'll be detained for questioning, you know?"

 It was Murasaki who answered Tamaki's question. Common guards wouldn't understand the distinction between Curse Art or youkai. For now, they would probably apprehend those who seem suspicious. Those with uncertain status would likely be interrogated. Since they are recognized as exorcists, it might not go that far... but they wouldn't avoid being detained until the experts in that field prove their innocence.

 "But...?"

 "Rest assured. Shirowakamaru-san and I will defend against the suspicion of your escape. Furthermore, the watchmen have the duty to make such judgments during situations like this."

 Directing her words to Tamaki, who is still flustered, Murasaki clarifies the responsibility. She also looks toward the other watchman. Shirowakamaru explains with a slightly annoyed expression.

 "This attack clearly targeted us. And think, why were we attacked at this moment?"

 "...!!"

 Momentarily puzzled by the point, Tamaki quickly arrives at the possibility. What were they doing right before the attack?

 "The whereabouts of Princess Tamamo...?"

 "With that many, they couldn't have been sent without prior preparation. We were attacked the instant we set eyes on this place. It can't be just a coincidence, right?"

 Tamaki might not fully understand the meaning, but she understands. Perhaps this attack is related to Princess Tamamo...?

 "In any case, we must protect Princess Tamamo as soon as possible. Also, I can't guarantee the safety of your maid."

 "...!!?"

 At Murasaki's mention, Tamaki becomes anxious all at once. The situation has already escalated to a bloody one. It couldn't be dismissed as a joke.

 "Let's go...!!"

 "Huh!?"

 Tamaki stands up with a stern expression. She raises her voice in urgency. At the same time, she looks at the nearby cry that leaked out... and it unsettles her to the point of stumbling back. It couldn't be helped. The child she had helped looked up at her with frightened eyes.

 "S-Sorry... I-I scared you, didn't I?"

 Tamaki speaks gently to the child, making a conscious effort. There was no response. The child huddled and trembled uneasily, just like a small animal fearing a predator. Quietly and deeply, the child's appearance wounded Tamaki's heart.

 On the other hand, for Murasaki and Shirowakamaru, it wasn't a big deal. Spiritual power holders or exorcists, are different from ordinary people. Whether it's lower-ranking or not, their physical abilities are far beyond ordinary strength. If they become strong, their unruliness is close to that of a thousand warriors. In a sense, exorcists themselves are monsters when fighting monsters, and both of them know that all too well. Moreover, they have received such gazes countless times and have grown accustomed to them.

 In a way, it was merely a common rite of passage for exorcists. The problem was that it had come precisely at a time when they had only a couple of hours left...

 "Boy... where... are you!? Answer..."

 A voice called out from the back of a public bath. The child reacted by shifting their gaze. It seems that their parent is safe. That fact erased Murasaki's final concern.

 "Miss Tamaki, let's go quickly. There's no time to dawdle."

 "I'll go ahead. If there are guards, I can confuse them with words, but it won't last long."

 The two announced, as if tapping Tamaki's back. They declared to go ahead.

 "Wait...!!?"

 Tamaki couldn't afford to procrastinate any longer after being treated like that. She shook off the feeling of being pulled back and tried to follow the two.

 "Uh, wait...!!"

 And then, she unintentionally stopped in her tracks due to the trembling voice of the child. She hesitantly turned around. She tensed up in anticipation of what the child might say.

 "Th-thank you!! Big sister, you were so cool!!"

 Thus, when the child offered this heartfelt gratitude, Tamaki was momentarily taken aback... Yet, even though she finally grasped the meaning behind the call, she smiled reassuringly at the young one. And then, she declared.

 "Of course! I'm an exorcist who protects everyone, you know!!"

 Trying her best to put up a strong front, Tamaki's heart felt lighter. With that sensation, she left the scene...

 ...

 ...

 ...

 "Oh? Come to think of it, why did that kid call me 'big sister'... i-it wasn't visible, was it?"

 ...In the midst of the commotion, as Tamaki fled, she acknowledged that her attire was disheveled due to Suiko's attack. While adjusting her collar and hem, she quietly murmured.

* * *

 People, from the moment of their birth to their last breath, are constantly bewildered, driven to madness, and toyed with by the concept of fate. No single individual can comprehend and anticipate all the events of this world. Each moment is an unknown, and every choice is ultimately a gamble.

 Spilt water cannot be gathered, and wisdom lies in preventing falls rather than relying on support. Regrets come after, not before... While the theory in Nanban suggests that everything is predetermined, it's merely a play of words. Humans adapt to their environment, yet they are not creatures of perfect understanding. They claim acceptance while holding onto dreams and boundless desires.

 Out of curiosity for the future or fueled by expectations and fears, humans have always pondered their destiny. Even though fortune-telling might sound fake, in this world, it evolved into a blend of spiritual practices and Curse Art, gaining some validity. Alternatively, through mathematics and science, rules were discerned and manifested as statistics. Humans, limited as they are, became capable of glimpsing the future.

 'It's amazing. A great achievement. Truly the wisdom of humanity. ...But it's all just a trick.'

 'I' standing in front sneers. 'I' nods and sneers in agreement. Like reflections in a mirror, they mock each other with identical gestures, behaviors, and expressions.

 Indeed, it's all just a trick. A mere deception for children. Even for novices, true divination is not just about simple judgments; even experts in the field have differing opinions on detailed interpretations. As for statistics, the answer can change with the numbers chosen as references. Manipulation is possible. Ultimately, both are nothing more than mediocre.

 'But we're different,' the voices of two identical individuals resonate and merge.

 Far clearer than such imperfect methods. Much more precise. Because it can be seen. The outcome of events, the future's conclusion, the paths that branch and lead to dead ends. All within these eyes...

 'Like the flutter of a butterfly's wings, slight disturbances may occur, but the general course remains unchanged.'

 'No matter which branch you cut, the core remains rotten. Trimming won't alter that.'

 Two pairs of hands of equal size overlap. Two identical faces draw close, their foreheads gently touching. The warmth of their bodies is felt through their skin and their breaths are audible to each other.

 'On the contrary, when the wound widens, the corruption spreads through the entire tree all time!"

 Their foreheads rubbing together, they sing in unison, their faces lit up with smiles, a joyful expression that reaches the depths. This was revenge. A gesture aimed at this house that used 'them' and their siblings as sacrifices and foundations.

 But that's how it is, right? After doing such terrible things, continuing to do such terrible things, and planning to do such terrible things... Even if it's just like this, why should they not be angry?

 'So, what now?'

 'What should we do?'

 'Which way should we go?'

 The problem lay there. Now, what should we do? Whether becoming a foundation or a sacrifice, the 'seen' fate remains unchanged. Slightly different directions lead to similar levels of suffering.

 'Decide with dice?'

 'Decide with lots?'

 'How about rock-paper-scissors?'

 'You know all of them, don't you?'

 'Oh, how dull.'

 'Truly, so bothersome.'

 The same voices alternate like singing. It's truly a perplexing matter. Even a matter that should be easy to decide between the two is not so simple. Even a straightforward solution without resentment for anyone seems complicated due to the fact that both can 'see' what lies ahead. They can't simply surrender themselves to fate without thought. They can't surrender.

 'Well then, should we stick with it?'

 'That's the only option.'

 'No grudges, okay?'

 'Becoming vengeful spirits is prohibited, too?'

 Reluctantly, the two choose the predetermined path. They choose the option the detestable old men had in mind. It's truly cunning, to be so prepared even without being able to 'see'. They must have ample experience with similar situations.

 To mutually perish without a moment's hesitation is difficult, yet waiting until one of them starves or withers away would only prolong the suffering and seem foolish. Moreover, those guys never made choices for themselves. Despite having dabbled in forbidden techniques, they seemed afraid of the resentments turning towards them. Irony.

 Well then, with the audacity of offering up substitutes to receive curses...

 'Which one should we choose?'

 'I'll go with this one.'

 'Alright, let's pick this one.'

 'Not a bad choice, huh?'

 'Mutual understanding.'

 Everything seems like a pre-scripted sequence of conversations. The only unknown is the weapon in their hands.

 They don't understand anything. It's as if they've been subjected to a powerful cognitive inhibition curse, and at this point, they don't even know what it is. Even the distance between them is unclear. The threads of fate they're wearing are faded, not visible. With this, maybe they can find some enjoyment?

 They face each other and laugh. This is their last time together. The detestable twins must be eradicated even if they possess unique abilities, or rather, precisely because of it. A traditional customs... a traditions of their clan that despised by them.

 They say the fluctuations of fate are significant when there are many observers, so...

 'Will the way of heaven be fulfilled or not?'

 Alongside their overlapping, charming sneers, the two swing the blades in their hands towards each other. And then, and then...

 ...

 ...

 ...

 "...Oh my, you're an attentive little kitten, aren't you? Plotting whenever I get a bit distracted?"

 "Ah...!!?"

 The kidnapper, Miyataka Shinobu realized this and nonchalantly waved her smoking pipe. Simultaneously, a gust of wind danced and cut the Shikigami that Suzune had secretly released from her bosom.

 A simplified version charged with spiritual power in advance. It was programmed to activate and guide itself to the creator's location. A creation of Kochou's teachings to Tamaki, a botched simplified technique. Despite being a botch, it was given to Suzune for the off chance she might need it. Yet, its opportunity for action was lost just now.

 "T-This is...!!? Kyaa!"

 In a fluster, Suzune tried to cover up and fix things. However, before she could do so, she was stripped of her outer garment by the swinging pipe. Simultaneously, the various charms she had hidden in her bosom were also taken away in a similar manner.

 "For a mere maid, you seem quite prepared. Even other servants don't prepare to this extent... No, should I call this overprotectiveness on your master's part?"

 Taking a scattered curse-tool in hand, the kidnapper expressed a mix of admiration and mockery. For a small youkai opponent, the protective charms seemed rather homemade, limited to one or two uses at best. Suzune's master had given them to her. Without breaking them, the kidnapper lost interest and casually tossed them back to their owner as if losing interest immediately.

 "Ugh... T-The responsibility is mine. Princess knows nothing, so... If there's punishment, I'll take it...!!"

 "S-Suzune-san...!!"

 Suzune, dressed only in a slip, knelt down in embarrassment while making her plea. Sitting close by, Ezo's princess called out to the maid with a grave expression. It seems they've grown quite close without even realizing it.

 "Do you think the life of a mere maid is worth the life of a princess?"

 "T-That's..."

 At Shinobu's remark, Suzune displayed a pained expression. Suzune herself was well aware of this fact. Even so...!!

 "Even so, hurting the hostage would be meaningless, wouldn't it? As a warning, you'd only punish once, right? You've thought it through well, and that's quite a noble determination."

 "...!!!?"

 Right now, it was as if she had been seen through Suzune. Could she have read her mind? Or had she unconsciously set up some kind of verbal trap? No, what matters now is not that...!!

 "Don't move from there. If you do something like that, the child above princess' head might get surprised, you know?"

 Suzune's prostration and pleading were halted by the threat. Tension, fear, and impatience cornered Suzune. Should she have observed a bit more before acting? However, there hadn't been many opportunities like the previous one. Whatever the case, it's too late now. The current Suzune is like a fish on a chopping block.

 "Well then, in light of your spirit, should I grant your wish this time?"

 "T-That is..."

 Self-punishment, perhaps? Suzune braces herself for the impending pain.

 "Everyone, let's have some fun tickling the girl until she breaks down, shall we?"

 "Yes?"

 It was an order from the kidnapper. At the same time, she felt a sensation of being grabbed from behind. Suzune turned around and was dragged away by the women. And then... the fingers crawling all over her body began to tickle.

 "Ugh, uhiiaaaahh!!?"

 Taken by surprise, Suzune let out a wild scream. The geisha continued to mercilessly assault her soft skin, seemingly oblivious to her distress. It's not at all modest over her slip. From under the hem, under the sleeves, and even below the length of her garment, their arms slip in, launching a relentless offensive.

 "Uhya, hya, uhyaahhh!!?"

 "S-Suzune-san!!?"

 Ezo's princess, eager to rush over and help the agonizing Suzune, hesitated and was perplexed. Watching this scene, the kidnapper laughed gleefully.

 "Oh my, is that alright? If you laugh so much, the sparrows might get startled, you know?"

 "Hi, hi...nnnn!!?"

 Against Shinobu's libertine advice, Suzune desperately tries to stifle her cries. Desperately muffling her moans. Tears fill her eyes, and her face turns bright red. But the geisha continue to tickle her gleefully.

 "Awawa... Suzune-san, this..."

 "Well then, should I have some fun with this little princess here?"

 "Hyau!?"

 Observing Suzune's embarrassment, the kidnapped, Shinobu, grabs Ezo's princess, who had been contemplating how to rescue her. Embracing her, she breathes into her ear.

 "Fuh, hiiiaaa...?"

 "Such innocent things, and you react with just a breath. How about it? Don't you want to do even better things?"

 With just one breath whispered by the ear, she speaks. Her voice is a soft murmur. Murmurs of spells. Invading the mind.

 "Better... things?"

 "That's right. I can provide you with a sweet, soft, gentle moment that's so tempting it might melt you. Would you like to experience even better things?"

 "T-Then..."

 "But, before that, there's something you need to do, right?"

 "...?"

 Unnoticed, Shinobu's arm had already circled Tamamo's waist, pulling her close. With swaying eyes that seemed drunken, she looked up at the culprit who had kidnapped her. Her cheeks flushed, as if gazing at a lover...

 "That little thing you're keeping in your bosom, please? It's not necessary for our little playtime from now on. In fact, I wouldn't want to be bothered and have the mood spoiled, you see?"

 "Unnecessary...?"

 "Yes, unnecessary. Unwanted. Anyway, you were probably at a loss about what to do with it, right? We'll take care of disposing it here. Please, cast everything aside, entrust everything, and let's indulge in some fun moments."

 For the princess, the kidnapper's words reverberated in her mind again and again. And each time, she felt a sensation as if each word was seeping into her. No, in reality, it wasn't a metaphor, it was a fact.

 It wasn't mere word. Rather, as a technique, it was even more basic. It put the opponent in a state where their self-consciousness was recognized, and the fatigue from tension, combined with the lingering scent of alcohol in the room, efficiently amplified the effects of the word.

 Half of the reason for this act was exactly that. Putting in a strong form of brainwashing could make the troublesome objects hidden within react. To be exact, they would most likely react. Creatures can sense the subtle shifts in others' feelings. Strong manipulation requires carrying a more intense negativity. The kidnapper definitely wouldn't want her wrist getting torn off the moment she reaches out.

 On the other hand, with this kind of mild manipulation and by offering some moderate pleasure... seems like the right move. Seeing this, Shinobu's lips curved into a chilly smile.

 But when, Shinobu boldly extending her arm toward the princess's chest like that... she suddenly gazed at the ceiling and whispered.

 "...Disappointing. I didn't expect them to arrive at this time."

 As she whispered, a large bird-shaped Shikigami burst through the ceiling almost simultaneously...

* * *

 After leaving the public bath and changing clothes, Tamaki and the others first recorded the results of the final fortune-telling on the map. And finally, they discovered it. The whereabouts of the captured princess.

 However, the situation was much more tense than at the beginning, and they were faced with numerous problems. The biggest concern was the safety of the hostage. Until the incident at the bathhouse, there was no real harm done, and the suspects were seen as troublesome individuals. This led the search team to not take the situation as seriously as they should have. There were even baseless suspicions of mischievous behavior from the young nobleman. But the bloodshed at the bathhouse shattered these assumptions. The incident was far from a joke. If the suspect was indeed the perpetrator, it was a clear act of rebellion. They couldn't expect the suspect to surrender easily.

 They might need to be prepared for a more challenging situation than they initially thought. Of course, the safety of the hostage, Tamaki, and the others also needed to be ensured. They informed Ezo's search team and their superior, Onitsuki Sumire, about the situation and the hiding place they had found.

 On the other hand, Tamaki wanted to secure her maid's safety first. She knew it was selfish, but capturing Suzune would not only help her but also secure the princess of Ezo. Should they rush in on their own or wait for reinforcements? Tamaki struggled between reason and desire.

 Her mentor's response provided a solution. The letter from the quickly returning Onitsuki Sumire granted permission for a preemptive strike, along with a warrant for the suspect's arrest.

 Tamaki and the others were surprised but also understood the contents of the letter. If the attack was indeed connected to the kidnappers, it meant the location was known. They needed to act swiftly to avoid the suspects fleeing or causing harm to the hostages. Ordering Tamaki's team to take the lead was a logical decision. Sometimes speed was more important than caution.

 The last issue was the hiding place itself. It was a corner of the red-light district, a place off-limits for Tamaki's group. Convincing the guards there would be a waste of time. So, they decided on a surprise attack from above, using a large flying Shikigami controlled by Shirowakamaru. Bursting through the ceiling and confronting the culprit directly seemed safer than entering through the front entrance, which could potentially be trapped.

 ...Shirowakamaru felt relieved by this decision, although nobody noticed. For someone who had been a child once, infiltrating the red-light district in men's clothing was not something they would normally accept.

 "Cough, well, that's the plan!! You are Miyataka Shinobu, right?"

 Amidst the dust stirred up from the ceiling, the youngest daughter of Akō, who had burst through, coughed but quickly stepped forward. Then, while pointing the blade of her yokai sword, she proudly announced.

 "You are charged with kidnapping, the use of forbidden arts, unauthorized use of spiritual arts, and treason. Surrender quietly!!"

 "Well, well, isn't this the illustrious daughter of the Akō family? Quite an entertaining way to enter a place. ...Your family would be saddened to know you've visited such a place."

 In response to Murasaki's demand, the kidnapper mocked with an indifferent attitude. Using the princess as a shield, she moved behind her, arms around her neck, laughing.

 "Cough!! Cough, cough!!? Hey, where's Suzune!? Suzune!?"

 Continuing after Murasaki, Tamaki descended from the large temporary platform that had been stabbed into the tatami mats. Coughing even more than Murasaki, she looked around, and upon seeing her exhausted friend being surrounded by geisha and almost collapsing, she screamed in shock.

 "I understand your feelings, but please focus on this situation for now!! ... Geisha over there, don't you dare move? We might have to take you down if necessary!!"

 After warning Tamaki, Murasaki turned her attention to the geishas and threatened them. Then she looked back at the front, squinting her eyes.

 "'Yosuzume,' is it? What a troublesome thing...!!"

 The flamboyantly dressed beauty held the young girl from behind. Murasaki recognized the pitch-black sparrow perched on the girl's head and clicked her tongue. She had expected this, but it seemed that there was indeed a difficult situation waiting for them.

 "The one on the princess's head is a true shiki, isn't it? How rude... Do you understand the implications of your actions? Do you intend to tarnish the prestigious Miyataka name?"

 While facing each other, with her sword pointed forward, Murasaki spat out her words in anger. She berated the kidnapper, condemning her audacity.

 "Well, well, what do we have here... Is this cute young lady the princess? Walking around alone like this, dressed like that? Quite daring of her... The White Dog Clan's security measures must be quite lax..."

 Though it was of high quality, the kimono wasn't too unusual for commoners to wear. The sash was swiftly untied. At the same time, the young princess, who had been jolted back to reality by the shock of the ceiling's collapse, let out an embarrassed scream at her surroundings.

"...!? Stop it!!"

 "Shi—"

 "... You!"

 Seeing the daring act of the kidnapper in front of her, Murasaki flared up in anger. This time, it was Shinobu's turn to warn. The sparrow on the princess's head had spread its wings conspicuously, making it impossible to further accuse them. A stalemate...

 "... What a surprise! Isn't an ambush from behind quite despicable?"

 Her actions gave the impression that she had been aware from the start. The smoking pipe swayed. Simultaneously, flames danced around the kidnapper and hostage, forming the shape of a dragon. Then it consumed and obliterated the temporary shikigami that had sneaked in through the back window.

 "When dealing with monsters, it might be expected, but isn't poison a bit much against humans?"

 "Tch. You figured it out..."

 Responding to the call from above, Shirowakamaru, who had been working curse on the rooftop without entering the room, cursed. Though she redirected her attention to Murasaki and the others, the attack of poison-infused feathers from the Shikigami sneaking behind the kidnapper had failed. The plan to exchange an antidote for the release of the hostages was futile.

 (So, the smoking pipe is a curse tool after all. And it's adept at detection, being under the guidance of the true way... Quite impressive...)

 Given what they had been informed about beforehand and considering her role at the Omnyouji Bureau, they would likely have limited experience with interpersonal and youkai combat... Yet the kidnapper seemed quite skilled. She was definitely not just a mere wastrel. Or could there be errors in the information released by the Omnyouji Bureau?

 (While it's not impossible to consolidate and crush her under a single blow...)

 On the other hand, facing the kidnapper head-on, Murasaki pondered. To rescue the princess without harming her. It wasn't impossible. The various sword techniques passed down in the Akō family were not for show. There were undoubtedly techniques for situations involving hostages like this. By combining the family's walking and thrusting techniques, she could likely eliminate both the sparrow and the kidnapper before they could react. Without harming the hostage, not even leaving a single poisoned feather. However, training was one thing; this was real combat.

 "Ugh...!"

 Stamping her foot as if to show her determination, she readied herself to close the distance in one go. But the smoking pipe was aimed at her, implying a clear meaning. Understanding the implication, Murasaki ground her teeth. Frustratedly, she held back the sudden charge.

 "Stop it. Remember, practice and actual combat are entirely different. It wouldn't be a joke if you ended up hurting the princess's adorable face, would it?"

 "And who are you to talk...!!"

 Murasaki spat out her scornful words, filled with disgust for the implication. Even as she did, she maintained an outward appearance of calmness as she contemplated her next move.

 (ugh, blackmail with hostages is so infuriating!! For now, I need to buy some time...!!)

 The message had already been sent. Soon, either Ezo's army or the Exorcist Clan... reinforcements were on their way. They just needed to maintain this standoff until they arrived. It was the only choice available to Murasaki and the others. Understand their roles and stick to them. However...

 "Without the interference of a third party, that is. Do you understand that?"

 "Ugh!? Miss Murasaki!!"

 "Y-you bastaaards!!!!"

 Almost simultaneously with the kidnapper's declaration, Tamaki sensed something. Murasaki swiftly turned on her heel and swung her sword. Just as she did, she shattered the strange creature's head that had burst through the shouji paper door and leaped into the room. Blood sprayed out dramatically, and the creature's roar echoed like thunder.

 The Great Tengu. This massive youkai, essentially its head, had nearly a third of its face crushed by Murasaki's strike. The monstrous entity, which had barged into the room, intending to greedily devour those inside, had its plans thwarted. In fact, its nose was gouged out.

 "Haaaaaa!!"

 At that moment, Tamaki charged forward as if to halt it. With her body reinforced, she closed the distance instantly and thrust her blade. Empowered by spiritual energy, her strike effortlessly pulverized the thick and sturdy skull bone, inflicting fatal damage to its contents. The creature's life ended as it rolled its eyes and succumbed.

 "Is there another one...!?"

 Immediately afterward, Tamaki realized it—the shadow, the presence. Overcoming its body, countless long-tongued creatures, the armies of 'Akaname,' were crawling on all fours, closing in. Changing her gaze, she would have noticed the massive creature peering into the room through the window. In an instant, this room, this dwelling, had turned into a den of monsters.

 "You bastaaards...!!"

 Accompanied by curses dripping with intense loathing, Murasaki swung her yokai sword toward the swarming creatures flooding into the room...

* * *

 "Oh, things are starting to get interesting, huh?"

 On the rooftop of a mansion facing the streets of Shiromoku Kancity, a demon (oni) sat cross-legged while enjoying drinks. She glanced at the bustling city with a casual and light-hearted remark.

 The scene before her was quite different from what he said. It was two hours before the chaos of the Blue Demon's words. In one corner of the pleasure district, amidst the gathering of monsters, the city's residents fled in panic, screaming. It was chaotic, but all this was just a form of entertainment.

 'Roarrrrrr!'

 The source of the roar wasn't from the pleasure district. Looking west as the city darkened after sunset, a dark, ominous figure was faintly illuminated by the city's lights. The earth-shaking roar struck fear into anyone who heard it. Turning east, one would see something resembling a giant jellyfish burning and floating in the sky. Looking north, a huge crab with a straw hat perched on its head overlooked the city, having blown away an old temple in the mountains. How many various youkai were there?

 To those who knew the history, this sight would remind them of a time of chaos, great war. Such a large town as Shiromoku, under attack by so many monsters, was an astounding event. Even the defending forces were taken aback. It seemed like the city's destruction was only a matter of time.

 ...Or so it seemed.

 "Wow! It's so bright!"

 Suddenly, a massive jellyfish in flight was sliced vertically by a beam of light. No, it wasn't as graceful as it might sound. The flaming shockwave erased its fiery aura and more than halved its body. The jellyfish was sent flying by the shockwave, disappearing into the mountains. An attempt to attack and paralyze the city's government office, burn it down, and disable its command functions failed immediately.

 "Whoa! That was impressive! But I wonder if it's cooked just right? I might grab a bite later."

 Seafood tends to spoil quickly, after all. Despite the spectacular scene before him, the demon remained surprisingly nonchalant. For this old demon, it was just another event. Regardless of what happened to others, it was merely entertainment and a side dish for this demon.

 Then again, what about the west? Unlike the previous jellyfish, there was now a dance of hellfire. The screams of the inhuman beings, who had been considered unnecessary, were drowned out by the storm of flames. Looking north, a mass of mud appeared, and a giant crab with massive arms and legs engaged in combat. The crab shouted something, and with each shout, its limbs were blown away without accomplishing anything.

 "No class or sentimentality, huh."

 The Blue Demon sighed, feeling sorry for the defeated youkai. It was like exterminating pests. A pointless, empty battle. She even sympathized with those who were defeated in such a manner.

 "...Well, I guess the folks in charge would hold a grudge around here, wouldn't they? Anyway..."

 She downed a handful of fish eggs borrowed from a brothel in the pleasure district and washed them down with sake. Then, she stood up. Ahead of her, the rugged mountains to the south were still void of any figures.

 "As expected, I should be watching the most spectacular show."

 The demon spoke with a sticky tone. Pretentious yet as if reciting lines from a play. She discarded her hat, giving a speech.

 "Despair in the face of conflict is essential for a hero's leap!"

 As she shouted, the demon jumped into the night sky, blowing off the roof. Excitement flushed her face as she imagined what awaited her. She was full of anticipation, almost madly so.

 "Since 'that time,' huh? It's been quite a trial... Please, don't fall too far this time."

 If he were to fail, she would have to kill him. But the demon didn't want to take the life of the man who had met her expectations up until now.

 "I'm counting on you, hero!"

 And once again, the demon placed unreasonable expectations upon him. Turning away would invite colossal punishment.

 With her blue hair dancing in the wind, her figure was enchanting to anyone who saw it, almost frustratingly so...

Towards the end of this chapter, some powerful youkai are introduced:

1. Houkou no Sonzai (咆哮の存在) - Great Youkai: This youkai possesses immense strength and is known for its roaring abilities. In the original story, its roar startles people. In the story, beyond its sheer physical strength, it has the ability to directly affect the sanity (SAN value) of those who hear its roar. Even average exorcists experience difficulty performing spiritual arts after hearing it once. After hearing it five times, one can even go mad. Interestingly, its opponent had crushed its eardrums before defeating it, as it would regenerate anyway.

2. Kanibozu - Great Youkai: This formidable youkai is incredibly tough. In its original myth, it punishes those who stumble over questions by beating them to death. In the story, it possesses the power to accurately cut off a limb of those who fail to answer its questions within a set time or answer incorrectly. As its opponent is made of mud, it can continuously strike and cut limbs without concern. The user, upon identifying its opponent's true nature, escapes to a place where the question cannot be heard.

3. Kurage-no-Hinotama - Great Youkai: This troublesome youkai, as its name suggests, is a flying, flaming jellyfish. In this story, the jellyfish is large enough to participate in kaiju battles. The buildings in Fusō-kuni are mostly wooden, making its attacks a potential cause of fires. It intended to use the city as leverage to capture government officials from the country's office one by one with its tentacles and consume them. However, it was swiftly defeated in a seemingly unfair manner.

These youkai introduce unique abilities and challenges in the story.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.5K 1.3K 29
You're soul was transferred to a side character who died an unfortunate death in you're best friend book who had killed you. she, who kill herself af...
614 226 24
"You are not created in the image of God God is created in the image of you" (Trigger Warning for: Rape, Mental illness, Self Destructive behavior...
97.4K 3.3K 27
(Y/N) (L/N) was a fairly normal person, with a fairly normal life. They lived by themselves in an apartment building close to the cafe they worked at...
563K 16.8K 37
⚠️ Cussing ⚠️blood/gore ⚠️lemon you're put in the story , you're not a murderer but a sacrifice with rachel . Will you keep your sanity through it al...