The different breath of Flame...

By AngltRen

In a word infested by immortal beings known as Demons. People coward in fear and lived under their threat fo... More

Prologue
Bio and Other things
Chapter II "Final Selection"
Chapter III "First Mission"
Chapter IV "Frightening Encounters"

Chapter I "The Beginning"

89 5 0
By AngltRen

(Y/n) POV:

It's been a year since my training as a Tsuguko of Rengoku, and I've gotten better at the forms and movements of Flame breathing, yet his training is still absolutely brutal "KEEP YOUR LEGS STRAIGHT!" he yelled at me as I grunted in pain from the boulders weighing on my back "HOW IS THIS TRAINING!?" I yelled while attempting to keep my legs as straight as possible. I looked over towards Mitsuri to see if she was struggling just as much, but she was standing effortlessly, even smiling with pure joy as she managed to keep her posture perfectly aligned "DON'T SLACK OFF!" Rengoku yelled before hitting the back of my knee and making me stumble a little.

I managed to get myself back up and continue standing with the boulders weighing down on me, making every second that passed feel like they were getting heavier "You may drop your weights!" Rengoku yelled as I immediately dropped all the boulders on my back and sat down while breathing heavily as Mitsuri put down her's, yet didn't even break a sweat. I tried to catch my breath but was immediately picked up and brought to my feet by Rengoku "Training is not over yet young (L/n)!" he yelled, making me stand straight once again "Remind me... how this is... training again?" I asked in between gasps for air.

Rengoku simply laughed "Is it not obvious!?" "...No..." I replied "We are expanding your breathing so that you may handle flame breathing better and create larger flames to use the first form," he explained all too quickly "I feel like if I continue this training I'll die..." I groaned out in pain "It's not all bad, (Y/n)," Mitsuri jumped in "Says the girl who beats half the hashira in arm wrestling," I rolled my eyes.  Mitsuri simply laughed at my comment before we suddenly heard footsteps approaching, and Rengoku suddenly turned serious and bowed at the entrance, and without even questioning it, me and Mitsuri follows suit "Master, it's a pleasure to see you here!" Rengoku suddenly spoke.

I looked up slightly and saw Ubuyashiki standing there, his daughter holding his hand to help support him "Please be at ease Rengoku, and you two, there is no need for such formality at a time like this," he said, his kind voice and smile on full display as we stood up "It it a another mission, Master?" Rengoku asked, crossing his arms and going back to his signature smile. Ubuyashiki shook his head "Far from it Rengoku, actually, I'm here for Mitsuri," he said, making us all surprise and Mitsuri confused as she stepped forward "D-Did I do something wrong?" she asked, nervousness clear in her voice as she spoke.

Ubuyashiki again shook his head "Again, far from it Mitsuri, the news I bring is not one to call for dispare, but rather, celebration," he calmly said "Did I-," "Mitsuri, maybe he'd tell us faster if we'd stay quite," I cut her off, promptly making her apologize and stay quite "Thank you, (Y/n), now as for the news," he clapped his hands and two other girls with dull smiling expressions walked in.  They walked towards Mitsuri, standing in front of her and looking up at her before bowing "It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Love Hashira: Mitsuri Kanroji," they said, immediately stunning both me and Rengoku in silence.

I couldn't say anything, I simply saw as her eyes glew with excitement before both girls stood straight up once again "Due to your recent acquired kill count of 50 demons," "You have now been promoted to Hashira rank," The girls said, trading off sentences in a creepy way "Congratulations!" they said at the same time before turning and walking away.  Ubuyashiki then bowed at Mitsuri "Now Mitsuri, are you ready for your first mission as a Hashira?" he asked, as Mitsuri quickly looked at us with worried eyes, while Rengoku and I simply nodded, almost as if trying to ensure it was alright before she accepted and left along side Ubuyashiki.

Me and Rengoku were left standing there, staring at the entrance "...Now I've really fallen behind..." I said silently to myself "Don't sulk on your friends big day!" he said, patting my back as if trying to comfort me "...Yea... you're right," I responded, yet my tone didn't exactly match my response, making Rengoku sigh a little "Let us resume training tomorrow..." he said before leaving.  I stood still, unsure of what to do, simply walking inside and going towards my room, entering and sitting on my bed 'I knew I was behind... but this is just...' I couldn't say or do nothing, all I did was sulk to myself.

I then heard as footsteps rapidly approached my room before the door swung open and Mitsuri bursted inside, tears streaming down her face "(Y/N)!" she yelled before suddenly hugging my tightly "I DID IT, I DID IT!" she exclaimed repeatedly "Air... need... air..." I gasped out, before Mitsuri realized what I said and quickly loosened her hug "I DID IT!" she said again.  I couldn't help but chuckled and patted her head "Yup... yup you did..." I said, putting on a happy tone "Master sent me on my first Hashira Mission, so I won't see you till I get back," she said, starting to slowly calm down and wipe off her tears.

I used my sleeve to help with her tears "With how strong you are, gaurente you'll make this quick, huh?" I asked, before a demon core. crow landed on my window seal "Caw, caw! Hashira mission for Mitsuri Kanroji! Caw, Caw! Hashira mission for Mitsuri Kanroji!" the crow repeated "SHE HEARS YOU, GIVER A MINUTE!" I yelled back in annoyance.  Mitsuri then finally stopped crying and stood up "Now that, I'm a Hashira, I expect to see you in demon core clothing soon," she said, smiling as if trying to reassure me "...Yea... maybe," I said, my sad tone slowly starting to sink in again.

Mitsuri saw my sadness and was about the speak, but "Caw, Caw! Hashira mission for-!" "WE HEARD YOU!" me and Mitsuri interrupted the crow simultaneously "Well... I'm off, see you later!" Mitsuri said before hopping out my window and following the crow to her first Hashira mission, leaving me in silence.  I looked down at my hands, all splintered and roughed up from my training before then looking at my mirror and at my reflection, seeing the dirt, bruises, and scrapes that I achieved from training as well 'All this effort... yet I'm still not strong enough...' I thought to myself, feeling as tears built up in my eyes, but I wouldn't let them fall.

~Large Time Skip~

It was now midnight, almost everyone was asleep yet I was on the roof, looking at the moon as it glowed brightly, the silence intensifying every second I stayed starring "...Isn't the Moon Lovely?" I suddenly heard someone say, making me jump "JESUS!" I yelled before calming down after seeing it was only Shinobu "Shinobu... you startled me," I said, my heart calming down from the sudden scare.  She simply giggled "Apologize, but it's not every night you see a trainee on the roof starring at the moon," she explained "Yea well... Tonight I just needed to be alone..." I said, staring back at the moon once again.

"...This is just like last time," Shinobu suddenly said, making me face her as she was now the one staring at the moon "We were both fourteen, Kanae had died and I was sat up on the butterfly mansions roof..." she explained, bringing me back and remembering "Yea..." I silently muttered "And who was there to comfort me?" Shinobu asked, her smile now genuine as she looked at me. I chuckled and looked away from her "...I was..." I replied "And what did you have me do?" she asked, making me blush a little "Cry on my shoulder..." I said, receiving a playful punch from her "And?" she asked, clearly hinting at what I'm supposed to say and do "...Share your feelings..." I finally said.

Shinobu nodded and leaned forward as to look at my face "So...?" she asked, now making it clear on what I should be doing "...It's just that... Mitsuri is a Hashira now, you and Rengoku are going stronger and getting farther ahead and... here I am... at the back of the herd," I said, feeling as a weight from my shoulders had been lifted. Shinobu listened to what I said, before looking at the moon once again "You're familiar with the Lunar phase, correct?" she asked "...Where did this come from?" I asked "Yes or no," she said, looking me in the eyes and pushing me to select an answer "Yes... I am," I responded, unsure of where the conversation was going.

Shinbou nodded and looked back at the moon "How long does each phase last?" she asked "About a week each," I responded from the top of my head "Correct, but what if within that week the moon isn't ready to change phases?" she asked, stumping me "It doesn't, it changes anyway," I responded, making her smile brightly and stare at me "Correct!" she said, making me even more confused. She understood my confusion and explained further "Regardless whether you are behind or not, you need to keep moving, Just because the moon isn't ready to continue, doesn't mean it should just stay, it keeps going and going until the cycle is completed," I stayed silent and listened to her words.

She then suddenly put her head on my shoulder, making me jump but slowly relax into it "Even if you aren't ready and are far behind, you move so that your cycle can be complete, that doesn't mean you should just dive in head first though, after all, you need to be careful, but what you must learn is that when even the slightest progress is made, you keep moving," she explained. I understood her words, and the feeling of dispare inside me had vanished "Thank you Shinobu..." I said before laying my head on hers, now having us both sitting and staring at the moon in perfect silence.

After a while, she got up and turned away "It is quite late, go back to your quarters once done moon bathing," she said before waving goodbye "Yea I will... thanks," I said, smiling as she gave a small bow and hopped away, leaving me alone once again, but this time, it wasn't to sulk, but rather, reflect on what I needed to do, and my answer became clear.

Shinobu POV:

I watched from afar, seeing (Y/n)'s sudden glow as if an idea had popped into his head making me smile 'Keep moving (Y/n),' I then quickly left and headed back to the butterfly estate, going back to my own room while checking in on Kanao, making sure she was sound asleep before heading sliding into my own bed and dozing off till the next day.

(Y/n) POV:

The next day came, and I was more determined then ever, exiting my room and marching towards the training grounds, sliding open the door and seeing three people, Rengoku, Mitsuri, and "Shinobu?" I asked, making her wave in response "I was interested in seeing how your training was going, so I came to spectate hope you don't mind," Shinobu explained.  I nodded before taking a deep breath and putting my determined face back on "Sorry... but there will be no training today..." I said, making everyone stare at me in shock "Now (Y/n), I understand you might not-," "It's not cause I'm quitting, far from it," I interrupted Rengoku.

They all became confused before I spoke again "Because you are going to let me take final selection," Rengoku paused for a moment, before turning serious "Your training is not yet complete, that isn't a good idea..." he explained "I knew you'd say that... but I already have my test planned," I said, gaining everyone's interest "Which would be?" Rengoku asked.  I walked over to a stand and grabbed two wooden sword before walking over and standing directly in front of Rengoku and staring up at him dead in the eyes "Fight me..." I said, handing him a sword and making everyone surprised.

"(Y/n), Rengoku is a Hashira with years of experience, not to mention with the little progress you made-," "I will win, one way or another," I interrupted Shinobu while Rengoku simply stayed silent, his serious face not changing for a second "...This is a bold move young (L/n)," he said, his serious demeanor sending shivers down my spine, but I stood firm.  I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath before staring back at him "If I lad even the smallest nick on you, you will let me go to final selection," I stated, Mitsuri was about to speak up but Rengoku quickly spoke "Very well... but if we go on to the point where you can no longer continue, I will drop you as my student," he said, shocking me a little.

I saw his eyes, they were dead serious, he wasn't joking, if I really did fail, then everything, all the effort I put in would just vanish, I started shaking a little, my bravery slowly being burnt away by him, and Mitsuri and Shinobu noticed "Maybe it's not such a good-," "Deal..." I spat, Cutting Mitsuri off, as I tried to keep my brave face on.  I knew the odds weren't in my favor, and I knew I was putting everything on the line, but I knew that this is the only chance I would get to prove myself, even if it meant losing everything, there is no backing down, not here, not in the future, after all, no slayer would back away from a demon... at least not me.

We both got into our positions, and getting into our stances "I hope you know, I won't hold back... that includes using my breathing style," Rengoku said, making me more nervous then I already was "Fine by me," I responded "Ready?" Shinobu asked, acting as the referee of the fight as we both nodded "Begin!" she yelled.  I didn't even blink and a sharp pain hit my stomach, causing me to buckle and fall to my knees as I just heard "I win! Flame breathing, First form: Unknowing Fire!" all in Rengoku voice, as he left me on the floor, feeling as if I was going to cough up a lung from how much I was struggling to breath.

I tried to get up, but buckled and fell back down, I looked over at Rengoku who stared at me, his serious face intimidating me as I felt my fear full set in "...Rengoku wins-," "Not yet..." I said, interrupting Shinobu as I used my wooden sword to help me up "Not... yet..." I said, despite the pain completely absorbing me, I started standing back up. I got back into stance, turning towards Rengoku as I planted my footing "Not yet!" I yelled, attempting to use the first form, but being immediately counter by Rengoku simply stepping aside and hitting my back with his sword "No matter what you think (Y/n), sending yourself into danger is a foolish move, I assumed you would have been smarter," he said.

I grunted and struggled to get back up, the pain intense despite only being hit twice, yet felt as if I was hit thirty times over "You should have mastered at least one form before challenging a Hashira," Rengoku said, aiming his sword at my face and I knew what he was about to do "Flame breathing, Second form: Rising Scorching Sun!" he said, as I narrowly dodged before a slash of fire rising up nearly hit me. "If you can't beat me, Mitsuri, Shinobu, even a child demon, you'd end up dead!" he yelled slowly walking up to me and raising his sword "And what if the twelve Kizuki found you!? do you not want your body to be found!?" he yelled before getting ready to unleash another form, taking a large breath as his sword caught fire.

I attempted to move, but he stepped on me and didn't let me move "Flame breathing, Third form!" he yelled, but just as it seemed over, my body took a breath and swung, my sword catching its own fire as I protected myself, and in a blink, I suddenly found myself standing behind Rengoku, as he turned with a small surprise look, yet barley noticeable. I then stood straight up, ignoring the pain my body was screaming and faced Rengoku "I will... I will beat you... I will beat demons, and I'll even beat a twelve kizuki!" I yelled, seemingly making Rengoku a bit dissatisfied as he turned his whole body towards me.

I took another breath, my energy suddenly starting to pulse through my body "I'll become a great Hashira! and it's starts with beating you, and entering final selection!" I yelled before getting into a stance as Rengoku got back into his 'All in one go... set your heart ablaze!' I took in a larger breath, my lungs expanding and feeling as they might burst from the amount of air I took in and got ready. Rengoku blasted forward, using his first form as I released all my breath and blasted forwards myself, my sword catching fire, but suddenly glowing brighter and brighter and turning a pure golden color, looking almost scaly as I released everything I had.

Rengoku POV:

I rushed forward, already knowing how this will end, until (Y/n)'s sword suddenly changed color, turning a bright gold color, almost looking like scales before he swung his sword, a monstrous roar escaping his lips, shaking everything as I quickly blocked and countered, but he suddenly twisted his body, and passed me, before tumbling and hitting the floor. I quickly turned towards him and saw him on the floor, completely warn up as he attempted to get up, but failed and stayed down '...Sorry (Y/n)... but a deals-,' I then sensed a sharp pain in my side and dropped my sword and grasped my side "Rengoku! Are you alright!?" Mitsuri asked worryingly and running up to me and (Y/n), ensuring we were both okay.

I slowly lifted my hand "Y-Yea... I think," I looked to see what was causing the pain and saw a bruise plastered on my side, the same side (Y/n) had passed by me with 'Did... did he really...' "He hit you?" Shinobu suddenly asked, attempting to help (Y/n) up while looking at my injury "Yes... I guess he did..." I admitted "We'll deal with that later, get him first aid!" I yelled.

(Y/n) POV:

I slowly opened my eyes, immediately feeling intense pain and hearing someone yelling at another "T-The heck..." I slowly muttered while trying to sit up, but immediately failed and felt an immense amount of pain shock through me "(Y/n)!" I heard Shinobu's voice as she quickly made me lay back down "You're still healing, you need rest," Shinobu explained.  I settled back into a laying position "What happened?" I asked "(Y/n)'s awake!?" I heard Rengoku yell as he quickly approached my bed "Luckily, you could have at least held back a little!" Shinobu yelled at Rengoku "(Y/N)!" I then heard Mitsuri yelled with tears in her eyes before tightly hugging me, and causing even further pain.

"Stop that, you're just causing even more pain!" Shinobu yelled while prying Mitsuri off with the help of Rengoku "Thanks..." I said "You're not safe! what we're you thinking just challenging Rengoku!?" she yelled at me "Well you're the one who told me to keep moving forward," I argued "I was also the one who told you to be careful!" she yelled.  I was about to fight back, but realized she was right "Of course... sorry," I said, looking down a little "...At least you're okay..." Shinobu shortly responded "And also sorry to you... sensei," I gave a small bow with my head "Not only have I lost your respect... but also your teachings..." I said in disappointment.

"Well... not exactly..." Rengoku said which made me surprised "What?" I asked, looking up a little and seeing him with his signature smile "You weren't the only one who needed to get patched up," he said, raising his shirt to reveal a bandage on his side "...Did I...?" "Cause it, yes... a very hard one too, it hurts immensely!" he laughed a little.  I simply continued looking at the bandage, before looking at my hands "So that means..." "You passed your test, a deal is a deal, you are allowed to take final selection," he said, making me tear up "I did it...?" I asked, asking for confirmation "Indeed!" he yelled, making me finally break and start the flood of tears.

It took a while for me to calm down, with Rengoku congratulating me, Shinobu comforting me, and Mitsuri joining in on the water works "I'll make you all proud!" I yelled, finally managing to stop my tears enough to speak "After you fully recover," Shinobu reminded me before walking away "...Right..." I suddenly snapped back to my pain.  "We'll leave you to rest, see you when you've healed," Rengoku said as they started walking out the room, but Rengoku suddenly paused at the door and turned towards me "By the way (Y/n), you might wanna study what you did against me, that slash you gave me... it wasn't flame breathing," he said before leaving.

I was now in silence looking back at my hands 'Not flame breathing?' I asked myself, closing my hands and starting to think 'A new type of breathing style? D-did... did I...' I clenched my fists and smiled 'If it's true... then I'll make this style and hone it to its best,' a new sense of determination filled me, not only to pass final selection, but to ensure this new created style would be powerful.

~Large Time Skip~

I grabbed one of the training swords and holstered it to my side, I put on my haori and walked out the butterfly mansion, looking at the sun before turning towards the people behind me "See you all when I get back!" I yelled, waving good bye to Shinobu, Rengoku, Mitsuri, Kanao, and everyone else who was there to see me off.  I started walking, heading towards the direction Rengoku gave me 'It's time...' I took a deep breath before starting to run, intending to arrive as fast as I could and recounting my breathing style I had invented 'I know what to call it, and most of the forms I thought for it works with the name... I'll call it...'

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 3.1K 32
โบโ—Ÿkamado tanjiro x reader . . . ๏ธŽ๊œœ โ๐™”/๐™ฃ-๐™˜๐™๐™–๐™ฃ~๐™ฌ๐™๐™ฎ ๐™™๐™ค๐™ฃ'๐™ฉ ๐™ฎ๐™ค๐™ช ๐™จ๐™ž๐™ฉ ๐™ฃ๐™š๐™ญ๐™ฉ ๐™ฉ๐™ค ๐™๐™–๐™ฃ๐™Ÿ๐™ž๐™ง๐™คโž . . . Y/n is a second year at Demo...
54.8K 1.5K 23
"Do you promise...?" "I promise..." Y/n, less than a quater demon, and more human then not, has been alone most of his entire life. Besides the Kamad...
121K 3.3K 22
It was unfortunate when Tanjiro twisted his ankle but Nezuko was all too willing to take the charcoal to town in his place. She returns home to a blo...
3.6K 124 10
Rui took you in eight years ago. Everything has been going well for you and your new family before a certain trio shows up. What happens when the Dem...