The Missing Piece // Scarlett...

By Onixena

"The Missing Piece" is an exciting novel of drama and tenderness that will take you through the search for th... More

In a Dysfunctional Family
Mirror image
Planning the Unpredictable
Lost in Central Park
Rescued
Mama Bear
Subtle Hints of Secrets
Storm from the Past
In the present time
Rose is at home
The Long-Awaited Day
Games and Detentions
Hectic Day
It Can't Happen Again!
Unveiling the Smiths
Waking in Silence
Breaking the Catatonia
Between Therapy, Games, and Judgment
Revealed Secrets and a Drenched Watch
Missing
Between Demons and Smiles
School Return
Take 20! Action!
Countdown
The Echo of the Tick-Tock
Behind The Silence
Between Tenderness and Anger
Return to the Warmth of Home
Bitter and Sweet
Changes and Mad Pace
The Found Piece

White Water

1.2K 53 16
By Onixena

Scarlett woke up with a gnawing anxiety that clenched her stomach, as if a storm were brewing inside her. The first rays of dawn timidly filtered through the curtains, painting the room in soft shades of gold and blue. With determination, Scarlett got up and headed to the kitchen. While preparing breakfast, the aroma of coffee filled the room, but her mind was a whirlwind of thoughts.

Shortly after, her two daughters were ready for the day, but for Scarlett, it was an exceptional day. It would be June's first day at Rose's school, marking the beginning of a new chapter. She had little time because she would later have to leave Cosmo in the care of Colin's mother and head to her lawyer Harold Grant's office to finalize the preparations for the lawsuit against the Smiths.

The tension overwhelmed her like a heavy burden on her shoulders. Harold continued to insist on taking June to the stand, an idea Scarlett firmly opposed. She had reluctantly relented in the past, allowing June to take the stand, arguing that the child didn't know this Tim person, but now she feared her daughter would once again face a situation of catatonia when confronted with the Smiths just as she was beginning to show signs of improvement in her recovery.

"Rose, sweetheart, could you look after your sister a bit?" Scarlett asked her older daughter, confident that Rose wouldn't refuse. Excitement was palpable in the girl, who jumped up, eager to have her sister at the same school.

"June, you'll only be there for a few hours, and Mom will come to pick you up," Scarlett assured June, who seemed more serious than usual. The little one advanced in silence, immersed in the world of her thoughts, a world that Scarlett longed to protect.

Once everyone was in the car, Rose enthusiastically began to sing a Disney song, while Cosmo clapped, caught up in the joy of his older sister. June, on the other hand, swung her legs, gazing into the distance as if she were looking at a far-off landscape that only she could see. Scarlett seized every opportunity to glance in the rearview mirror and keep them under her watchful eye.

"June, I'm sure you'll love school. Then, during recess, we can play together, and I'll introduce you to my friends. I've already told them about you," Rose said, trying to cheer up her sister. When they arrived at school, 

Rose opened the door, and her friends greeted her enthusiastically. Rose's voice filled the air, brimming with enthusiasm, like a beacon of joy in the midst of uncertainty. "June is here!"

Scarlett was moved by her older daughter's effusive attitude. She then unbuckled June so she could get out of the car and took Cosmo in her arms, reaching out to June. Scarlett brought her closer to Rose so she could be introduced to her friends and engage in a brief but friendly conversation with the mothers.

When it was time to enter the school, Rose bid farewell to her sister with a kiss on the cheek, and June started to pout.

"I want to go with Rose," June whispered, her voice trembling and her eyes glistening.

"Sweetie, we've already talked about this. Rose is nine years old, and you can't be in the same class as her. But I'm sure you'll make friends soon," Scarlett gently touched June's little nose, a loving gesture meant to elicit a smile. "Who could resist being your friend?"

June wanted to tell her that she didn't have many friends at her old school, but she wanted to believe her mom. She allowed herself to be guided into the new school. The place was very different from her old public school; she wouldn't have Rose in her class or her best friends, Iratxe and Carlitos. Plus, she didn't know anyone else. What if they made fun of her? She wouldn't have her friends in class to keep her from feeling lonely or to defend her.

June tugged at Scarlett's hand a couple of times once they stopped at a door. The school hallway stretched before them, filled with fluorescent lights that flickered with a constant hum. The walls were adorned with colorful children's drawings, each one a promise of adventures and discoveries. When Scarlett looked down, she could see the fear reflected in her daughter's eyes, large green eyes now filled with insecurity.

Scarlett leaned down toward June, gently stroking her blonde hair. "Sweetheart," Scarlett lifted June's chin with tenderness. "You'll only be alone for a few hours to get used to it, and I'll come pick you up."

June, with uncertainty, asked with a trembling voice, "Do you promise?"

Scarlett's eyes gleamed with love and determination. "I promise." Scarlett held June in her arms for a moment, carrying both her children. The warm embrace between mother and daughter conveyed more than words. Scarlett kissed her daughter's cheek, a soft kiss like a whispered promise. "Everything will be fine, June; you just need to be yourself."

"Myself," June whispered softly to herself, trying to convince herself.

The door opened, and a young, smiling teacher with brown hair and a yellow dress that resembled a ray of sunshine appeared. "Oh, what a beautiful girl you must be June. We've been waiting for you. Will you come with me?" She extended her hand with warmth that dispelled the fear in the air. Scarlett placed June on the floor, and the girl's green eyes showed her doubt as she looked at her mother for support. When Scarlett nodded with a gentle sigh, June took the teacher's hand, feeling the warmth of the welcome.

"Above all, I've discussed security with the principal," Scarlett asserted firmly. The teacher nodded with respect. "Don't worry, Mrs. Johansson."

But the actress did worry. Scarlett watched her daughter, who kept looking back despite the teacher's efforts to introduce her to the class. Each step June took away was a tug at Scarlett's heart. Silly as it was, Scarlett wiped away a tear, feeling the mix of pride and nostalgia that overwhelmed her as she saw her daughter walk away from her side again, even though it would only be for a few hours. She kissed Cosmo, her little son, for consolation, and the boy responded by waving a silent goodbye to his sister and blowing her a kiss.

On the way home in the car, Scarlett called Colin, "Colin, it was so painful to leave her there. What if I'm making a mistake?"

"Scarlett, she has to go to school; it's beneficial for her. It's the same school Rose attends, and it's a quality institution," he tried to reassure her.

"But what if I lose her again?" Scarlett's voice trembled just thinking about it. After all, they had kidnapped her daughter from a seemingly well-guarded hospital.

"They have cameras and security. They are extremely vigilant. I don't think they'll let their guard down in the short term."

"I can't help it, I even doubted that I'd come back to pick her up," she sounded heavy-hearted and glanced in the rearview mirror, noticing Cosmo unusually silent and finding him inevitably asleep. "I'll take 'Sleeping Beauty' to your mother's."

"Until later, dear. Tell me how it goes with the lawyer."

As Scarlett left a slumbering Cosmo in the care of her mother-in-law, Kelly, June sat in her new school, curiously observed by many children. She determinedly ignored them, immersing herself in her drawing, using creativity as a shield against the scrutiny of others.

The situation changed when her new teacher, a young woman with a radiant smile, gently drew her away from her drawing and brought her to the front of the class to satisfy everyone's curiosity.

"Class, I'd like to introduce you to June. As I mentioned a week ago, she's joining us. So, please, let's make her feel welcome and behave like the good children you are," the teacher said with warmth in her expression.

June returned to her seat with her drawing on the table in front of her, her cheeks flushed from the unwanted attention. As the teacher began the lesson, her gaze was lost in the paper, trying to ignore the children who continued to watch her.

"Hello!" a cheerful voice brought her out of her thoughts. June leaned in to look at the girl who had decided to sit beside her. "I'm Daisy, and I'm new here too. Would you like to be friends? I haven't made many friends yet."

June smiled, grateful for Daisy's kindness. "Yes, I would. Where are you from?"

"I'm from Georgia. My dad had to move here for work. I live with my dad and my grandma, Margot," Daisy explained. "Is your mom Scarlett Johansson?"

"Yes, and my sister Rose is in another grade," June replied.

Daisy looked around, noticing the other kids still watching them, and lowered her voice. "Last week, some kids were saying you're the missing girl from the news."

The mention of her past made June feel uncomfortable, and she shifted restlessly in her chair. She returned her gaze to the paper and continued drawing in silence, leaving Daisy with a puzzled expression.

"Are you upset?" Daisy asked gently.

"No, I'm not angry. But I don't want to talk about it," June replied firmly. Then she looked up at Daisy, who had a sad look on her face as she stared ahead. "We can still be friends if you want."

Daisy beamed a radiant smile. "Of course!"

Both girls smiled, sharing a sheet of paper as the teacher continued her math lesson in the background. They were absorbed in their drawings and childlike chatter when the teacher approached them, clearing her throat to get their attention.

"Ladies, we are in the middle of class. You shouldn't be using the sheets to draw right now. We're doing math, and you need to pay attention to the board. Let's see, which one of you can solve this problem? Josh has four apples, and his friend Sarah gives him two more apples. How many apples does Josh have in total?"

June wrinkled her little nose in disdain upon hearing the name she thought belonged to her twin brother. Then, she looked at the teacher with a skeptical expression. "It's very easy; he has six."

"Correct, did you find it very easy?"

June nodded. Math was not typically her strong suit, but her best friend, Carlitos, always tried to teach her. Nevertheless, she barely passed the subject in school.

"Very well, Miss Johansson, here's a slightly more complex one. Let's see, Daisy has a garden with fifteen flowers," the teacher said, and Daisy started laughing upon hearing her own name. "Then, James picks seven flowers because he wants to make a bouquet for his mother. How many flowers are left in Daisy's garden?"

June began to laugh, thinking the teacher was joking. However, she watched Daisy count on her fingers, and the rest of the class pondering the problem. "Easy, there are eight left. You just have to subtract seven from the fifteen."

The teacher moved closer to June, visibly intrigued. "You have three boxes of cookies, and each box contains twelve cookies. How many do you have in total?"

"Thirty-six cookies," June replied while continuing to color her drawing.

"I see you enjoy drawing. You have five boxes of crayons, and each box has eight crayons. How many do you have in total?"

June tilted her head and raised her gaze. "I think I have forty crayons."

"Who taught you math, June?"

"My best friend, Carlitos," June answered with a smile. She received an affectionate gesture from the teacher for her answers and a curious look from Daisy at her side.

"I find it very hard. I have to count on my fingers," Daisy confessed in a hushed voice.

"I do too, but these problems have been easy. In my previous class, we had more complicated problems and had to learn the multiplication table."

June smiled because perhaps in this new class, she would do better, and math wouldn't seem as hard. At least the teacher didn't look at her as if she were useless.

In a separate location, Scarlett entered the lawyer's office, where Grant greeted her with a cordial handshake. After taking her seat, the prominent blonde actress began to shake her head in disagreement.

"My answer remains no, Harold."

"Scarlett, please hear me out. I spoke with your daughter's psychologist," the man began, holding some papers in his hand.

"What have you done? Since when did I give you permission for that, Harold?" Scarlett crossed her arms, staring intently at her lawyer for explanations.

"Listen, perhaps I overstepped, but I am still convinced that June's testimony is crucial for the case."

"They stole my child! What could be more important than that? They took my daughter away, and they have kept her away from me for years, Harold."

"And they mistreated her, Scarlett," Harold interjected, receiving a mixture of anger and distress from his client. "Don't you think she deserves to know the truth, and the Smiths should pay for everything? June also deserves justice, don't you think? Despite her being so young, wouldn't it contribute to her healing process?"

Harold's words nearly shook Scarlett's determination not to involve June in the legal process.

"Isn't the clinical psychologist's testimony and the medical report enough?" Scarlett sought an alternative.

"Of course, they are very useful, but you must consider the weight that the girl's testimony would carry in the trial if she takes the stand and describes how these years have been in her life," Harold insisted.

"She's my daughter, Harold. I don't want to put her through that ordeal. We will go to trial with all our evidence, and they will pay for what they did in prison."

Scarlett's response was resolute, and the conversation took an unexpected turn.

"I feared you would react this way, which brings us to another problem," Harold's face turned red, and Scarlett, intrigued, arched an eyebrow, awaiting an explanation. "The defense has requested that June testify on the stand, and their request has been granted."

"WHAT!" Scarlett exclaimed, rising from her chair and moving around the office. "What on earth are they thinking?"

"They want to exploit June's fear, Scarlett," Harold explained, his voice grave and concerned. It was clear that he understood the magnitude of the situation.

Scarlett frowned, feeling a knot in her stomach at the revelation. Harold's words made it clear that the defense of the accused was willing to employ ruthless tactics in the trial.

"Of course, they will still be convicted of the abduction," Harold continued, "but they wish to argue that on that date, their emotional and mental state was so affected by the loss of their daughter that they cannot be fully blamed. Then, they intend to state that June has had a stable life and reduce the sentence."

The idea that the guilty would try to present themselves as victims and deflect attention from their own actions filled Scarlett with anger and helplessness. It was as if they were willing to do anything to evade justice, even if it meant exposing their daughter to the trauma of the trial.

"This is unacceptable, Harold!" Scarlett exclaimed, unable to contain her indignation. She got up from her chair and began pacing around the room, needing to release the built-up tension.

Harold looked at her sympathetically, knowing that Scarlett wasn't angry with him but with the unjust situation they were in. Meanwhile, Scarlett continued to think about what she could do to protect her daughter from the defense's manipulations.

The upcoming legal battle would be tough, and Scarlett was determined to face it for June's sake, no matter the obstacles in her way. Scarlett snorted in disbelief, rolling her eyes. But her frustration went beyond that.

"How much in fines would it cost me to punch them as soon as I see them?"

"From hundreds to thousands of dollars, depending on the severity of the act. It will vary if it's considered a misdemeanor or a felony. Don't go down that road, Scarlett," Harold warned, glimpsing a hint of determination in his client's eyes.

"They want to keep hurting my daughter, and I'm expected to stand by and do nothing?" Scarlett slammed the table with the palm of her hand, startling her attorney. "Harold, I won't allow that to happen."

"I understand your position, Scarlett. Unfortunately, we can't change the decision to allow June to testify. All we can do is make sure her testimony works against them."

—Stinks! — Scarlett exclaimed.

Scarlett left the office about thirty minutes later, feeling a sense of disgust lingering with her. She talked to Colin and her mother to vent, desperately needing the support of her loved ones. As a mother, her instinct was to protect her children, and now she found herself in a situation where she couldn't do so completely. The trial was set to begin in just two days.

Glancing at the clock, she noted that there were still nearly two hours left to pick up June from school. She considered the possibility of going to The Outset's offices but dismissed the idea due to the distance and traffic. She didn't want to be late to pick up her daughter. Instead, she decided to buy sweets for the girls while contemplating how to approach the issue with June, thus delaying her return to fetch Cosmo.

Rose held June's hand as they walked around the playground, as if she were a treasure she wanted to show to the world. Pride shone in her face as she introduced her younger sister with a wide smile. So many children approached June that she barely had time to register their names. Daisy, who was running behind them, finally took June's hand and joined the group.

A girl, Andrea, stood in their way, with an attitude that didn't go unnoticed.

"Rose, is she your sister?" Andrea asked with a mix of curiosity and superiority.

Rose rolled her eyes and gave June a warning look. "Ugh, June, don't say anything. This is Andrea; her mom is a model and was in a magazine. She thinks she's the best in the world."

Andrea planted herself right in front of June. "You're in my brother James's class, right?"

June shrugged; she wasn't familiar with all the children in her class. However, a look from Daisy indicated that Andrea was right.

"You're the girl from the news, right? The one who was kidnapped? Where were you?" Andrea asked with inquisitive curiosity.

Rose immediately stood in front of June, protecting her with determination. "Get away from my sister."

"What will you do if I don't?" Andrea scoffed.

"I'll punch you in the face, and I doubt you'll want to appear in photos after that," Rose replied, her smile showing confidence and courage.

Andrea took a step back in disgust before turning around and joining her friends. Rose let out a relieved sigh.

"Wow, Rose, you just stood up to Andrea!" one of Rose's friends exclaimed, amazed.

"Yeah!" Rose opened her eyes, surprised by her own courage, and her legs felt a little weak. "Wow, I did it." The recess bell signaled the end of that playful break, and Rose wrapped June in a tender hug. "Mom will come to get you. See you at home later. Don't tell Mom anything about Andrea, okay?"

June nodded with a sweet, understanding gesture. Daisy, holding her hand, led her back to their classroom, where the teacher had not yet arrived. Once there, June resumed her drawing, her colored pencils moving with precision.

Suddenly, footsteps stopped next to her desk. When June looked up, she met a brown-haired boy with blue eyes.

"Hello, I'm James," he said.

"Hi, I'm June," she responded kindly, while Daisy seemed uneasy, keeping her gaze on her own drawing and tightly gripping her crayons.

James, with a cocky attitude, continued, "If you want, you can sit with me, and you can be my girlfriend."

June made sure she had heard correctly, aware that the eyes of many children in the class were waiting for a response.

"No, thank you," she replied politely, dropping her gaze back to her drawing, as if she wanted to end the conversation. The class erupted in laughter, which triggered a negative reaction from James. He snatched June's half-finished Avengers drawing and, with anger, displayed it in front of everyone.

"Look at this crappy drawing," James attempted to embarrass her, tearing the page and dropping the pieces on the floor. Then, he menacingly approached June. "These things wouldn't happen to you if you were my girlfriend. My dad told me your mom is very pretty and famous. He said it would be great if I became his daughter's boyfriend. I'm the best in the class, and my parents are richer."

June looked at him in silence, keeping her composure and dignity.

"Weirdo," James pushed her before taking his seat. "If you laugh again, I'll hit you!" he yelled angrily, plunging the class into an awkward silence. Shortly after, the teacher entered the classroom with a book in her hands.

"June, your mom is waiting for you outside," the teacher announced, looking at the girl and placing the book on her desk.

June jumped to her feet, gave Daisy a grateful smile, and ran out of the classroom to hug Scarlett. "Mom!" She hugged her tightly.

Scarlett took her in her arms and kissed her on the forehead. "Did you have fun, dear?" she asked as they left the school, looking affectionately at her daughter.

"I made a friend, her name is Daisy," she said happily, considering it one of the best things that had happened to her in a long time. "And I played with Rose at recess."

Back at home, Scarlett watched her daughter while she drew with complete concentration on the kitchen counter. The sound of colored pencils scratching the paper was the only noise breaking the silence in the kitchen.

"Sweetie, I need to talk to you about something before we go pick up your siblings," Scarlett shared, showing signs of nervousness. "You see..." Just at that moment, the phone started ringing, and upon seeing it was her lawyer, Scarlett excused herself and withdrew to the study to answer the call.

While her mother was busy in the study and the aroma of food began to fill the kitchen, June stepped down from the stool where she had been sitting to turn off the stove. It was at that moment that she heard Scarlett's shouts, leading her to silently approach the partially open study door.

"No, Harold, I can't do it. June needs peace and stability; she can't go through this. Can't they cancel it somehow, maybe with a psychological profile?" Scarlett suggested, with her gaze lowered and one hand on her head. The words flowed passionately from her mouth, aware that she was battling the legal system to protect her daughter. "Exactly, they're trying to use my daughter, Harold, after everything they did to her. As a mother, it's my duty to protect her and prevent them. And you're telling me all my attempts are null and void."

June, now very close to the door, heard her mother expressing her frustration and concern.

Tears of helplessness slowly rolled down Scarlett's cheeks, leaving a glistening trail on her skin. Her eyes reflected a mix of distress, anger, and desperation as she spoke with her lawyer, Harold, over the phone. Her trembling voice, filled with frustration, resonated in the room.

"Are you really asking me how I'm doing? They want to use my daughter, Harold, after everything they did to her," Scarlett said, her throat constricting. She pressed her hand against her forehead, as if trying to contain the pain she felt once the call ended.

Her eyes were red from crying, and her face showed signs of stress. The actress felt trapped in a nightmare, overwhelmed by helplessness as she fought to protect her daughter and faced a situation beyond her control.

June gently touched her mother's cheek, and when Scarlett looked up, she met her daughter's concerned, green eyes.

"Sweetie," Scarlett whispered, taking June into her arms and hugging her tightly.

"How much did you hear, dear?" Scarlett asked, wiping her own tears.

June held her mum in silence for a while and then pulled back to look at Scarlett with concern. "Mum, are you sad?"

"Worried, my love," she said, taking her daughter's hand and kissing it. "I know you're too young to fully understand, but the trial against the Smiths for kidnapping you is in two days, and they want you to take the stand. Do you remember where you went when you told them who Tim was?"

The little girl nodded, trying to grasp the information. "Marian and Carter want me to go up. Why?"

"They want you to go up to get a lighter sentence, to show that they were good parents to you and that you were a happy child with them," Scarlett explained calmly.

"That's a lie," June replied bluntly and honestly.

"They think you'll be too scared to say otherwise, my dear," Scarlett informed her, trying to help her daughter understand the situation. "And Mom is doing everything she can to keep you from having to go up."

June lowered her gaze, thoughtful. She didn't fully understand what was going on, but she didn't like seeing her mother, Scarlett, cry or shout. She liked her new home, her bedroom, her siblings, her mother, and also Colin.

"I'll go up and tell the truth," her lips quivered, but her offer was sincere. "Will you be with me?"

"Always, my love," Scarlett's tears fell again, and she hugged her little one once more.

Hi, lovely people! 😊 How has your weekend been? I hope you've enjoyed this chapter. In the next one, we'll dive into an intense trial: Scarlett vs. Marian 💥 And I can't say more! 😜 Things at June's new school will take a complicated turn, but to find out more, you'll have to keep reading in the upcoming chapters. I appreciate your support and welcome new followers. 💖 Take care and love each other a lot. See you in the next chapter. 📖✨

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

12.3K 1.2K 27
With an uneasy peace with Duir born from a startling revelation, Madeline begins her third and final trial in the midst of a war that has been waged...
51.1K 1K 33
if Mary-Kate had a daughter but kept her a secret and then the public found out and how she deals with the fame of her mum and her family.
50.6K 1.5K 31
Something different than a typical story about a girl, whose parents die in a car accident and she gets adopted by a celebrity. Read and find out how...
109K 4.7K 35
Elizabeth is an actress preparing for her next big movie by following a teacher's internship in a small, conservative town. It doesn't take long for...