Faking It

By MissKatey

All that high school junior Ellie Morris-Whittaker wants is to play division one soccer in college. Good thin... More

Author's Note
Chapter 1: Welcome to Kingsbridge
Chapter 2: A Very Presidential Tour
Chapter 3: Dorms, Decor, and Dinner Plans
Chapter 4: Bullies and Besties
Chapter 5: The Other Ellerby
Chapter 6: You're My Tutor?
Chapter 7: Hard No to Escargots
Chapter 8: Strike Two
Chapter 9: The Trial Run
Chapter 10: Enter the Nickname
Chapter 11: Tutors and Texts
Chapter 12: Just Say Yes
Chapter 13: Playing with Fire, Round 1
Chapter 14: Emdubs and Tee, Dynamic Duo
Chapter 15: Playing Hard To Get
Chapter 16: The Away Game
Chapter 17: Burgers and Bargains
Chapter 18: The First Date of Champions
Chapter 19: The Sweatshirt
Chapter 20: Sure Thing, Boyfriend
Chapter 21: Clearly The Best Ellerby Tutor
Chapter 22: Stolen Happily Ever Afters
Chapter 23: The Speed Bump or the Nuclear Option
Chapter 24: Ye Of Little Faith
Chapter 25: Welcome to Phase Two
Chapter 26: The Truth Is...
Chapter 27: The A-Hole Brigade
Chapter 28: Setting a Date
Chapter 29: Halloween is the One Day a Year...
Chapter 30: You're Not The Problem
Chapter 31: A Double Date, Why Not?
Chapter 32: Truth Bomb
Chapter 33: Tasting Menu Truth or Dare
Chapter 34: The Ties Were Black
Chapter 35: The Lies Were White
Chapter 36: Turkeys Break a Stalemate
Chapter 37: Thanksgiving
Chapter 38: The Do-Over
Chapter 39: Big Trouble
Chapter 40: Way Too Many Things To Think About
Chapter 41: The Infallible Wisdom of Brothers
Chapter 42: This Was The Plan, Wasn't It?
Chapter 43: Finishing What We'd Started
Chapter 44: Bye Bye Tie Knot
Chapter 45: Grades and Gustavo's
Chapter 46: Slide-Tackles, Sweatbands, and Hope
Chapter 47: Take The Shot
Chapter 48: The Look On Your Face
Epilogue
Theo - Ch 1
Theo - Ch 4
Theo - Ch 6

Theo - Ch 5

1.1K 87 2
By MissKatey

Practice was a welcome respite from Kingsbridge's stuffy hallways and annoying gossip. There was something about the fresh fall morning air that made it seem like the world wasn't so bad after all, and being back on the pitch, with the team, was the exact antidote to all things Will and Mads.

As expected, a number of the JV guys had turned up, which was good. We didn't have too many seniors who'd graduated, but next year would be absolutely brutal when we lost our goalie, JJ, and Sam, the other forward, among others.

"Feeling threatened?" Sam asked with a smirk, as the JV guys tried to keep up with the cross drill. So far, not a single one of their forwards or mids had done anything inspired.

"More like disappoi—" I started, then cut off as a ball slammed into my back.

I whirled, ready to rip into whatever asshole had kicked it. But rather than one of my teammates trying for a laugh, one of the girls was rushing over from their half, shouting an apology.

No, not just one of the girls. The new girl. The one who'd fallen all over herself when she'd met my brother. And now here she was, trying to manufacture some sort of meet cute by pelting me with a soccer ball in the middle of practice.

It was way too fucking early for this. So I wound up and kicked the ball as far and high away from her as I could.

There, I thought, That ought to tell you everything you need to know about how this isn't going to be a thing.

"Dude..." Sam whispered, watching as she ran off to chase the ball. "Harsh much?"

I folded my arms. "I'm not interested."

"In what?" Sam laughed. "Helping out a newbie?"

I ground my teeth. Okay, so maybe it was a little harsh. But honestly? The last thing I felt like doing was ceding my space—my pitch—to someone who seemed solely interested in getting to my brother. I wasn't going to let someone else go through me. Not again.

Sam just shook his head and, now at the front of the line, took off towards the corner for the cross drill.

As much as I tried to stop it, the stupid ball incident kept interrupting my thoughts for the rest of practice. When we took a break for water, I heard Audra saying my name and, out of the corner of my eye, watched her brandish a finger at the new girl. I had to smile at that, thinking of how I'd defended her at the dinner table. I might not know her, but apparently the feeling was mutual about messing with fellow varsity players.

Curiosity eventually got the best of me and, after a lengthy internal debate during our ladder drill, I couldn't stop myself from glancing back to see if the new girl knew what she was doing or if it might've really just been an errant shot from a bad player. Her penalty shot was dismal, all jittery nerves that went high and right over the crossbar, and the frosty anger I'd felt towards her thawed a bit. Maybe she really was just a hopeless shot.

But then she turned around, looking back towards me. I hoped she hadn't caught me looking. Because if she had indeed kicked the ball on purpose, the last thing I needed was her thinking her stupid stunt had worked.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.8K 132 54
"No I'm not dealing with your shit." "No more tutoring sessions." "Deal." - Summer, a high schooler, at Parkview university. She's perfect, blonde, b...
1.3K 95 45
Side note: never fall for your fake boyfriend. When my best friend convinced me to write a love letter to my crush, I didn't expect it to all go sout...
887K 20.7K 63
[editing...] A story about two confusing people who have no idea of what they're doing. Ellie Mae Miller enters her senior year in hopes of starting...
2M 58.7K 77
Emma's life takes an exciting turn when she moves back to her hometown. Certain circumstances cause her to run into the schools most notorious footba...