Cosmo || Doctor Who

Par blink_and_youre_dead

where a boy meets an alien and travels the universe Book 1 of the Spaceman Series. 334,926 Words Part One... Plus

Cosmo
Volume One
1 : Back Chat
2 : Jealousy
3 : Action This Day
4 : Save Me
5 : Leaving Home Ain't Easy
6 : Machines (Or Back To Humans)
7 : Keep Yourself Alive
8 : If You Can't Beat Them
9 : A Human Body
10 : Was It All Worth It
11 : Father To Son
12 : Don't Lose Your Head
13 : Dead On Time
14 : These Are The Days Of Our Lives
15 : The Night Comes Down
16 : Sleeping On The Sidewalk
17 : Dreamer's Ball
18 : The Miracle
19 : You Can't Fool Me
20 : Let Me Live
21 : Play The Game
22 : Fight From The Inside
23 : Too Much Love Will Kill You
24 : My Life Has Been Saved
Volume Two
25 : Transformations
26 : A Skeleton Of Something More
27 : Bright Sadness
28 : Ill Equipped
29 : Touch
30 : Body
31 : Wilderness
32 : In Her Honour
33 : The Writer
34 : Enabling Environment
35 : Clockwork
36 : Heart
37 : Parallels
38 : All This To Say
39 : Tension & Thrill
40 : Night Must End
42 : Almost Idyllic
43 : Today Has Been OK
44 : Image Of A Black Hole
45 : Awake
46 : The Great Conjunction
47 : Mission Complete
48 : Earth
49 : The Ink From Books
50 : Daughter
51 : Tethered
52 : Divine Creation
53 : Ghosts
54 : I'll Keep You Safe
55 : Uneven Odds
56 : Heaven Breaks
Volume Three
57 : Kick Off
58 : At Least We Made It This Far
59 : Part Of It
60 : A Hurt Like That
61 : If You Want It
62 : Everything Will Be
63 : Let It All Out
64 : Pressing On
65 : There Was No Thief
66 : Empty House
67 : Can't Complain
68 : The Scene And Herd
69 : Forward Motion
70 : Detestation and Reform
71 : Softer To Me
72 : The Vinyl Countdown

41 : Son

429 35 45
Par blink_and_youre_dead

𝔏𝔬𝔫𝔡𝔬𝔫, 𝔈𝔫𝔤𝔩𝔞𝔫𝔡, 𝔈𝔞𝔯𝔱𝔥
𝔐𝔞𝔶 2006

There was something about home which always felt different when he returned to it. Home was always a place of comfort, but EJ was starting to realise that home was not always somewhere he could go. There were times when his London flat was home. There were times when the Tardis was home. And there were times when people were home.

     Once upon a time, only five years ago, home was with Zoë, and then it was Soren, and then it was Angel. Now that he was travelling, the only person he realised he wanted to come home to, was Josh. After a hard day, all he wanted was to hold his son.

      It wasn't as simple anymore, and that was okay, because it was EJ's decision. But today was one of those days. He just needed to go to his home.

     Rose was still distraught as they journeyed back from the parallel Earth, and she sobbed the entire time. Eventually, the Doctor decided it would be best if they just took her directly to her mother. It wasn't like she had Mickey to talk to anymore. That was the problem.

     When the Tardis doors opened, she ran out into her mothers arms like they hadn't been together in forever. EJ could only hope that Josh would be as excited to see him when he arrived.

     "You're alive!" She whimpered, a hand covering her mouth at first. "Oh, Mum, you're alive!"

  Jackie was still dressed in her pink nightclothes, as she wrapped her arms around her daughter, ever so slightly confused. "Well, I was the last time I looked."

     The Doctor took EJ's hand as they exited the Tardis, leaning against the exterior woodwork. It was odd to watch someone break down, and watch another worry. In fact, after all that had happened,  it was partially distressing.

     "What is it? What happened, sweetheart?" When Rose didn't stop crying, she knew that whatever had happened must have been horrific. "What's wrong? Where did you go?"

  "Far away." Her eyes met the Doctors and he sighed, deeply. "That was... far away."

  It wasn't something that EJ ever wanted to relive, but he knew that it was impossible to avoid forever. "Where's Mickey?"

  "He's gone home." The Doctor said, as though it was that simple.

     The Thompson boy sighed, matching the Doctor's stance as he leant into his side. His head rested gently on his shoulder, allowing himself to relax a little more. He'd been tense for so long, and his muscles ached intensely because of it.

     Jackie must have noticed his morbidity amongst her embrace, and opened her arms even wider than before, if that was possible. "Come here, love."

     He did as she asked, and joined Rose in the centre of the living room. Honestly, Jackie was more of a mother to him at this moment in time than his own. She tried, a few years ago, but that had all gone down the drain when Tate revealed all of their secrets.

     "D'you want a cuppa?" She offered, rubbing at some of the tear stains beneath his eyes. "I've got some hot chocolate in 'specially."

  EJ bit his bottom lip and shook his head, gratefully. "No, sorry, Jackie. I've... I've got to see Josh... my son..."

  "Of course! Of course!" Her eyes lit up with realisation. "You should go!"

  He turned to the Doctor, slightly awkwardly, because he felt weird just leaving without much earning. "I'll be back later, Doctor. I promise."

"Don't worry 'bout me." The Time Lord just grinned at the Thompson boy with complete understanding. There weren't many able to do that. "I'll come pick you up."

"Where?"

"Message Rose." It was a simple enough task. He could do that.

EJ nodded. "Okay."

After waving a swift goodbye, he wasted no time in running from the apartment and out of the Powell Estate. At first, he didn't know where he was. Though, after a moment of moving, he found his way about. It only took EJ a moment before feeling more certain with his surroundings.

His feet pounded against the pavement as he chased the imaginary finish line of Zoë Evans' home. It wasn't a competition, but it seemed to feel like one. How fast could he get to his son?

By the time he arrived, he was almost completely out of breath, not that it mattered. The white plastic door looked exactly the same as the last time he had been there. Nothing ever changed, and he was glad of it. When he tapped his knuckles against the door, begging to be let in, it felt like an eternity had passed.

     When it did open, finally, EJ was met by a great surprise. It clearly wasn't Zoë on the other side, unless Zoë had grown a foot and stubble along her jawline. Simon... great. Just the person he wanted to see.

     For a moment, Simon just stared at him, wide eyed and confused. He would guess that it was something to do with his half formal attire, that he looked like a mismatched charity shop. Then, when he had recovered from his catatonic lapse, he leant backwards into the hallway as he called loudly.

     "Zoë!" He hollered, causing the black haired boy to flinch. "You've got a visitor!"

  EJ smiled awkwardly from the doorstep as he gave Simon the once over; vest and pyjama pants. The similarities were sickening. "Alright?"

  "Yeah, mate." He nodded. It wasn't as if they didn't get along. Only, an ex and a partner weren't exactly supposed to be best friends. "S'pose I'd better let you in, yeah?"

  Simon opened the door wider as he stepped back just enough to allow EJ into the hallway. "Thanks."

     After Simon Burke had moved in, he didn't feel like he was as welcome in Zoë's home as before. Perhaps it wasn't as bad a thing as he thought, because they needed more boundaries than there were. There was a mutual love between them, a love which would never leave them, because there was a product to ensure it's safety.

     Joshua Jude Evans Thompson. The most loved little boy on planet Earth. Half Liverpudlian, half Geordie; wholly wonderful in every way.

     The two of them stood in the hallway, awkwardly waiting. EJ let his eyes wander, noticing that everything was practically the same. It made him more comfortable, even if the hairs on his arms stood on end as he pondered. He scanned the walls, and smiled at the picture frames.

Of course, the majority of them were still of Josh. Only now, there were less with him in. He was around enough to be apart of those great moments. Instead, it was Simon. Zoë, and Josh, and Simon.

That wasn't how it was supposed to be at all. He was supposed to be there. EJ didn't take into account that the Doctor would come along, and he didn't think he would end up being away for so very long. This wasn't him being a good father at all...

It was enough to make EJ sick. Although, he didn't want to ruin the carpets. Zoë would have freaked out completely.

Just as the feeing began to settle in his stomach, small footsteps raced towards them at an increasing pace. EJ's head snapped towards it, and immediately he grinned, wider than before. It was Josh. He ran straight into the black haired boy's arms without another thought, and EJ picked him up, swinging him around.

Josh was heavier than he remembered; then again, he was also taller. His sixth birthday was only three months away; there was no way that he would miss it. He wore tartan pyjamas, the ones which matched his own. It made EJ smile.

As he lowered his son to the ground, there were a few tears in his eyes, but it wasn't something he would let anyone see. He felt like it was a weakness, in a way. Although, he'd never had a real father himself, and he didn't know how he was supposed to act. Was crying such a bad thing?

"Dad!" He squealed, his feet stomping on the ground with excitement. "You're back!"

"Yeah, Joshy," EJ sighed in contentment. "I'm back."

"Mammy's in kitchen." He babbled, his small round face upturned, in a state of near permanent happiness. "She talks about you lots and lots."

His eyebrows raised in confusion as he half looked to Simon. "Does she?"

"Yep." The man seemed reluctant to agree, but did so anyway. "She always wonders when you're coming back. You left an impression."

"Should we go and see your Mam, yeah?" When Josh nodded enthusiastically, EJ held his hand out for his son to take. "Come on, then. You go first."

The five year old boy took a hold of his Dad with great pride. He didn't mind living with his Mam's boyfriend, but he wasn't with anything compared to his Dad. His Dad was the best person in the world.

They entered the kitchen, and found Zoë sat at the dining table. There were four chairs around it, including the one she was sat in, and a high chair, even though Josh didn't really use it anymore. She held a book in her hands. Romeo and Juliet. His favourite. They'd bonded over it, once upon a time.

"Mam! Mam!" Josh tugged at her dress when she didn't look up the first time. "Dad's here."

That caught her attention much faster than the phrase visitor. Her eyes lit up as she looked upon the Thompson boy, as mismatched and curious as ever. "EJ."

"Sorry for not giving you a warning this time." He apologised, swiftly. "Didn't know we were coming home until we did."

"What's been happening?" Zoë's voice raised in pitch as she worried about him, placing a hand on his cheek and wiping the bags beneath his eyes, noticing the stains. "You've been crying..."

He shook his head. He didn't want to talk about it in front of Josh. "It's nothing."

Josh tugged at EJ's trouser leg, now, looking up at him. "Did you gets to go somewhere fun?"

"Course I did, Baby." He picked the small boy up and rested him on his hip. "I went to a place with cat people."

"Cats!" Josh almost clapped with excitement. "I love cats!"

"I know you do." Then, he turned to Zoë as he spoke once more. "And I got a knighthood from Queen Victoria."

Her mouth opened with complete confusion. "What?"

"That's what I said." A laugh left his lips, it sounded like another life, but it wasn't. It was his life. "The Doctor and Rose too, of course."

"The funny man?" The boy asked, and EJ nodded.

"The funny man." After a moments pause, he raised a question. "Zoë?"

"Mmh..."

"Mind if I take the bean home for a while? I'll bring him back before bedtime."

There was the most understand and kind expression on her face. EJ was sure he would never meet another woman like her. "Course you can."

As he grinned, the Thompson boy turned to his son. "Joshy?"

"Yeah."

"Should we go home?"

Josh needed no more than that as he ran up the stairs to grab his shoes. EJ took his sons coat from the peg in the hallway and helped him put it on before waving goodbye to them.

They walked hand in hand down the streets until they arrived back at EJ's flat. There was nothing he loved more than hearing about everything which happened when he was away. However, Josh was always veering off topic. First it was school, and then it was his superhero comics, then it was how Mam and Simon were talking about having a baby together.

EJ was sure not all of that was meant for Josh's ears. Even so, he didn't question it. The knowledge was valuable, probably later in time.

He used his key to open the front door, which was a change from knocking, to find that nothing had changed there either. Soren and Taylor were sat on his sofa watching the television, another soap. Ty was sat at the kitchen table, going through the newspaper, completing the quizzes. And Elliott and Angel were on the floor reading. At least him being gone wasn't disrupting their lives.

"Uncle Angel!" Josh called loudly, and as soon as he did, he ran over to the redhead who welcomed him with open arms. "Hi!"

"Josh?" He asked confused, and then he looked up. A visible sigh of relief let his shoulders drop as he looked upon the tattooed man. "EJ."

"EJ?" Ty ran in from the kitchen, dropping the newspaper as he did. Immediately, he tackled the boy to the ground, half out of the door. "You're back!"

"Please let me up." He wheezed, more than thankful when the pressure was released from his chest. "Heavy as ever."

"I hate you." Ty squinted at him, obviously joking.

EJ smirked, cheekily. "You love me."

It was like a rotating door of embraces, which was definitely something that he could get used to. Elliott came next, and sighed. "Glad you're safe, you idiot."

"Is anyone not going to insult me, today?" EJ raised his eyes. "Apparently it's a free for all."

"You're gone for so long." Taylor heaved as he pushed himself up from the sofa, obviously not wanting to get up, but he did so anyway. "You're game."

"Says you with the hair." He picked at the floppy curtains on top of his head. "Got a date yet?"

"What?"

"The not wedding."

"Oh, that..." He rolled his eyes. "We're thinking December."

"Will you be there?" Soren asked, throwing himself into EJ's arms at full speed. "I'm so glad you're here."

"Of course, I'll be there." It still left an uncomfortable feeling in his stomach. "You're okay, you know, after the school?"

"Very." He shackled. "Got a raise."

"Very nice." EJ smiled, he didn't want to pull away, but he had to. This was going on for too long.

"We were all jealous of him." Angel hummed as he stood from the floor. Everyone else was returning to their former places, and Josh found himself in the arms of Soren for the time being. "Got to see you without the rest of us."

EJ shook his head, holding Angel tightly. "By accident."

"A happy accident." Soren interjected; ignoring the partial scowl on Taylor's face.

"How's work?"

"Good, good." It seemed like he didn't want to talk about it too much. He never did. "Think we're into a breakthrough, soon."

"That's brilliant." The black haired boy smiled, genuinely. "I'm happy for you."

"Look, we'll get out of your hair." Angel said, wrangling the group together and out of the door as they mumbled goodbyes. "Just don't forget to text every now and again."

Just before the door closed and locked, he nodded. "I will."

It reminded EJ to text Rose on behalf of the Doctor. He didn't take very long at all, as by the time Josh had picked out a movie, it was done. In the meantime, he also grabbed a set of blankets and a selection of confectioneries to share.

Josh and him hadn't had a night like this in a long time. Years, maybe. The boy wouldn't remember. It didn't mean he didn't enjoy this sort of thing a whole ton more.

He had chosen the Batman Movie from the 1960s. It was hilarious by every account, and beneath the fluffy blanket, they had tickle wars during the film. The night was one of pure joy, and EJ knew that moments such as these were rare. He had to remember them.

Two hours passed before he even thought about taking Josh home. Though, the boy was asleep by then. He was so peaceful that EJ didn't want to wake him.

Actually, EJ was thinking about calling Zoë and asking if Josh could just stay the night when a familiar vworp filled the air. The Tardis landed in his living room, directly in front of the television, and the doors opened to reveal the Doctor. He assumed that Rose was inside, as per usual, but he didn't ask just in case she was still sensitive.

"Ah!" The Doctor's eyes widened, slightly taken aback. Maybe he had thought Josh's oils he home by then. "You're still..."

"We can go, don't worry. I'm still coming with you." He seemed to visibly relax as EJ spoke, which was odd to observe. "Can we take him home, first?"

When the Doctor agreed, EJ wrapped his son up in the blanket, and picked him up. They walked into the Tardis and sat on the small seat by the console; it was only a short journey. There was minimal conversation, as he was slightly frightened of waking Josh.

However, when they arrived back at Zoë's, he clearly hadn't thought it all through. Doors were more difficult with no spare hands. The Doctor rang the doorbell, and when she answered, he smiled, and offered to tuck him in.

He left the blanket behind, keeping his son warm, and he turned on one of the audiobook cds he owned. Josh could never normally sleep without them. Perhaps they were the one comfort he believed he couldn't live without. EJ was honoured he managed to fall asleep without them, in his Dads company. It just proved he was doing something right.

When he went back downstairs, Zoë was waiting for him by the door. "Your Doctor went back to his police box."

EJ shook his head with a light chuckle. "He's not mine."

"He might as well be. He looks at you the same way you look at pyjamas in winter." He snorted at that, because it made no sense. "Just, you've got to be careful, alright?"

"I'm always careful." EJ grinned. "Trust me."

It was Zoë's turn to laugh this time. She placed a hand on the corner of his face, and rubbed a thumb along his cheek. "You're mad."

"Always." EJ turned his head slightly, and his lips met the palm of her hand as he kissed it, gently.

"And you promise you'll come back?"

It was the easiest thing he had ever said; smoother than the sincerest I love you. "Of course."

"Then, you go, you silly thing." Zoë leant up on her tiptoes, just so he could press a kiss to his cheek. "And enjoy yourself."

EJ nodded. It was never easy leaving home, but with permission, he was ready for anything. This time, when he stepped back into the Tardis, he knew that things would be different.

This time, he was freer. This time, there was nothing holding him back.

✯ ★ ✯

Disclaimer!!!
I do not own Doctor Who, it's characters and original storylines. The only things I do own are my own characters, my addition to the series and my own storylines. Any similarities to real life are purely coincidental.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

24.6K 700 25
Amora Rey was sent to Earth to learn about humans and their diverse cultures. With only a few months left before she has to go back to her own planet...
89.2K 3.9K 76
"I thought I told you not to wander off," the Doctor reminds her but she ignores him. "I changed my mind," Cherry muses, a small smile playing on he...