I Reincarnated as Louis XVI t...

By KageNishi

A man playing a history game falls asleep and wakes up in the Palace of Versailles. To his shock, the man was... More

Prologue: Welcome to France
The Man, Louis XVI
Box of Versailles
Let's Dance at the Ball
Red Rain Incident
Bourbon Reforms
I Will Conquer, with the People
Palais-Royal
Dawn of a New Era
Attitude Survey Results
In the Swaying Carriage
Throbbing
The Start of Reforms
Bath Arc
Brother-in-Law!
17 Years Old
Blacksnake
Whereabouts of Foreign Currency
Be a Sword, Be a Shield
Academy of Sciences
Doctor Sanson
Education
Kraków
Enriching Meals
Operation Stork
New World Disturbance
Villainous Intentions Righteous Opportunity
1st International French Fashion Fair
Squirming
PAPAMAMA
If I Shouted Too Much Love in the Middle of Versailles, They Got Mad at Me
Swedish Noblemen
His Majesty's Holiday
Made in Taiwan
Tuscany
Operation Leviathan
Amadeus
Christmas
Bourbon Doctrine
How About Spices?
Last Kingdom
Fire on the Other Shore
Looming Threat
2.20
Class
Economic Index
Anti-Britain Grand Alliance
Opening Moves for Dominance

Locomotive

403 11 1
By KageNishi

(251)

"Eruption Countermeasures"

☆ ☆ ☆

June 8, 1776

"Whoa... Today is the eighth of June... Just 7 years to go..."

Everyone, I, Louis XVI, am well aware that we are rapidly approaching the eruption of Mount Laki. I pondered this at my desk in my office, facing the facts. Do you all know... the reasons behind the French Revolution?

The common understanding is that it happened because the nobility and clergy were living in luxury despite the poverty of the people. However, that was just one part of the revolution. The primary cause of the French Revolution was the massive eruptions of Mount Laki in Iceland and Mount Asama in Japan. Mount Laki in Iceland erupted on this very day in 1783, and two months later, Mount Asama in Japan erupted, leading to global cooling in the entire northern hemisphere.

HOBF perfectly recreates this event, especially the "Five Years of Nightmares" of northern hemisphere cooling, which results in famine, food shortages, and overall efficiency decline in Europe, North America, and East Asia. For players, it allows them to simulate a post-apocalyptic scenario where they have to reduce taxes, cut expenses, and even invade neighboring countries for food. I hope we can be spared from what's about to happen in 7 years. When the volcanoes erupt, they release a massive amount of volcanic ash into the air, which blocks out the sunlight.

With sunlight significantly reduced, crops can't grow properly due to lack of sunlight, resulting in poor-quality wheat. Even with inferior quality, the wheat prices skyrocket because of the scarcity. Rye and barley suffer from similar issues. The skyrocketing food prices and scarcity of even basic grains led to the outbreak of the French Revolution.

So, the famous phrase attributed to Marie Antoinette, "Let them eat cake!" implies that due to the global cooling caused by volcanic eruptions, there was a shortage of wheat, the primary ingredient for bread. Oh, by the way, it's been said that this phrase didn't appear in written records until the 19th century... which is half a century later. It's probably more of a literary interpretation. Let's stop spreading rumors about Antoinette!

"Still seven years... but also, only seven years... I have to start planning for food scarcity and distribution issues for the next seven years. Time flies, and the Revolution's major event will occur in no time. It's best to prepare while we can."

Even though it's seven years away... I've already been reincarnated for six years. Time really flies. At this rate, the major event triggering the Revolution will occur in no time, so it's essential to get things done while there's still time.

...So, what should I do first? While increasing the number of heirs with Antoinette is crucial, first, I'll list several possible scenarios that might occur due to the extreme cold.

If history repeats itself, there will be a massive release of volcanic ash in the northern hemisphere, causing cooling, damaging agriculture and animal husbandry, and even affecting human health. It was bad. People inhaled toxic substances from the volcanic ash, damaging their lungs and causing respiratory diseases, leading to a doubled death toll. Many crops, due to root rot, couldn't be harvested, especially around autumn. Horses and cows suffered as well due to the changing climate, and many of them died.

In addition to several years of unpredictable weather and cooling, it's almost as if an event happened in France, an agricultural nation, that delivered the final blow. Given that it had a global impact, it affected not only Europe but also Asia. However, we can't stop volcanic eruptions, so if it happens as it did in history, we must prepare for the consequences.

Due to the cooling caused by the eruptions of Mount Laki and Mount Asama, crops were already in a bad state. To make matters worse, heavy taxes were imposed, and pressure was applied to the privileged class for taxing policies to protect the nobility and clergy. This economic deterioration accumulated, and the frustration found an outlet through the means of revolution... Well, when you can't afford to eat wheat bread anymore, and the nobility and clergy enjoy food privileges due to their massive food stockpiles, it's not surprising that people get angry. If I were a commoner, I'd be determined to revolt against the privileged class.

It's said that the attack on the Bastille prison, often discussed in the context of the French Revolution, was a signal of the Revolution... This is something I'm determined to prevent. In fact, if a revolution occurs, I'll lose my authority as a king, and both my wife and I will face execution, courtesy of the nightmare of the Reign of Terror led by Robespierre. So, it's crucial to prevent it at all costs.

Why do they always seem to want to purge the competent men within the same organization? I used to wonder in history games, but then I realized that if they were more capable than me, they might try to take the top position from me. As a result, Napoleon staged a coup, and there was a lot of internal chaos until he established the empire... revolutions are a bitch!

As for taxing the privileged class, we're already working on that, so we should be fine in that regard. The problem is how long this cooling caused by the eruptions of Mount Laki and Mount Asama will last...

"Will it last for about five years...? If so, even if we switch to mostly domestic crops, we'll still need to switch to barley and rye because wheat won't grow... Maybe we should harvest hardy vegetables by spring and preserve them by drying and canning? It might work for that year, but I'd have to figure out what to do the next year..."

We don't know how long the effects of the eruptions lasted from 1783 onwards. In the game, the effects usually last for about 5 years, but in France, there were years of unstable climate even after that, with consecutive years of poor harvests. People faced food shortages, money problems, and a situation where they couldn't even afford bread. It's no wonder they got angry.

Among crops, I'm considering growing hardy vegetables and producing a large quantity of canned jams and preserved foods that can be stored for a long time. In regions near the equator like Taiwan or Saint-Domingue, food production might still be possible, so I'm thinking of allowing them to cultivate fields there. Hmm, but what did various countries do when Mount Laki erupted? Germany—the Kingdom of Prussia seemed to be growing potatoes, and different European regions were surviving on edible plants and whatever they could find. Even though they're still promoting the cultivation of potatoes today, it's a bit worrisome. It might be quicker to search for foods that are less affected by the climate and can be grown on slightly less fertile land.

"Hmm, were there crops that meet these conditions? Emergency food for famine... if we're considering non-perishable food, we could go with wild plants... but if we want to cultivate it as a food source, sweet potatoes or similar tubers, like that, might be a good choice. Ah, sweet potatoes, a staple from Japan, a food that becomes a must from autumn to winter!"

...Indeed, they are somewhat resistant to cold, have a substantial volume, and among the options, I can think of sweet potatoes. They come in good quantities, and most importantly, they have a natural sweetness, so they taste delicious without needing added sugar. They go well in miso soup, and they're quite tasty in stews. They probably work in Western dishes too, so this might be a good choice.

"I remember that in Japan, sweet potatoes were cultivated around Kagoshima during the Edo period as a famine relief measure... and they were introduced from Tanegashima, so they were called Satsuma potatoes (satsumaimo) in reference to the Satsuma Domain, right? In Europe, are they called sweet potatoes...? They have sweetness, and their nutritional value is decent, so they seem like a good choice!"

Before I was reincarnated, I had vivid memories of selling roasted sweet potatoes in the park from a small truck during the autumn. Eating those freshly roasted sweet potatoes from the pot along with warm green tea from a park vending machine would warm you up from the inside. Since it's an excellent idea, maybe next year, I should cultivate and harvest sweet potatoes at the Royal Farm Experimental Field and enjoy some roasted sweet potatoes with Antoinette and Thérèse.

Since sweet potatoes, like potatoes, are resistant to cold and can grow on less fertile land, it might be a good idea to introduce them extensively. That way, by the time seven years pass, we can make sweet potatoes widely available. Alright... for now, let's summarize the post-eruption food strategy with just this much. As the door was lightly knocked, a servant entered the office to report.

"Your Majesty, it's almost time for departure."

"Oh, is it that time already? ...Alright, I'll head out right away."

I quickly finished writing and left the Palace of Versailles to witness a historic moment. Today, the steam locomotive is finally completed, and it's being showcased to the public.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(252)

"Steampunk"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The steam locomotive...

It's a vehicle that could be considered a symbol of the Industrial Revolution, and among all the inventions in history, the rails it has traversed are still left in the modern era. Because of that, I'm amazed that the steam locomotive has been completed at this stage, earlier than in the original history. The project, overseen by Lieutenant Colonel Cuignot and with my backing in terms of funding and personnel, is finally starting, and I'm very pleased about it.

'Now, maybe, once railways are used for transporting goods and people, many will benefit from it. It's a place where various people will come and go, so the areas around the stations will likely develop with urban renewal.'

The steam locomotive has just been completed, and it will take some time for it to be put into full operation. However, if it proves practical and can run faster than horse-drawn carriages, people will start paying more attention to its role. Furthermore, as a state-run enterprise, the operation of locomotives on the ground railway will be carried out by the "Royal French Railway Company," and it's almost certain to generate huge profits in the future.

"Finally, it seems the railway is completed, so now you can ride the steam locomotive you were looking forward to, Antoinette."

"I'm really looking forward to seeing it actually completed! It used to be the cannon carriage that moved quite slowly, so I'd like to experience something faster!"

"Oh, by the way, Antoinette, you really love riding vehicles, don't you?"

"Of course! I want to move them by myself!"

Antoinette was enthusiastically talking about her love for vehicles from within the carriage. I considered taking Thérèse along too, but she unfortunately caught a cold, so she's resting in her room. I feel a little sorry for her, so maybe I should buy her one or two souvenirs. From the moment she saw Cugnot's cannon carriage, she started jumping around with childlike enthusiasm. It's clear how much Antoinette likes these vehicles. Well, you can see them up close, right now.

In a certain game, I have the riding skill, so I think it's okay for me to drive vehicles... yeah. With the earliest steam locomotives, their maneuverability was famous for being difficult, so if I let Antoinette operate it and she ended up breaking the handle or the shaft and causing it to run wild, it would be a major disaster. Therefore, even if we do let her drive, she should be accompanied by someone who can provide assistance.

"Yeah, that's right... I think driving it is difficult because, unlike horses, you have to control it in various places. It might be better to learn how to operate it after getting used to it."

"Indeed... when I rode in Lieutenant Colonel Cugnot's cannon carriage, the handle was so heavy that moving it to the right or left was a struggle..."

"Oh, right. The cannon carriage was indeed difficult to drive, but I think the locomotive, as it moves along the rails, can be driven relatively easily, don't you think?"

Antoinette had expressed her desire to ride Cugnot's cannon carriage, so I once consulted Cugnot to put her on the carriage and let her drive. During that time, Antoinette cried, saying the handle was too heavy, and she couldn't move it. I had to make a last-minute switch right before crashing into a wall while operating the handle, which would have almost made Antoinette the person responsible for the world's first automobile accident. Moreover, beyond the wall was a river, so there was a possibility that she could have drowned if it went wrong. It was an incident worthy of filing a close-call report, and I was genuinely panicked. According to Cugnot, a rail-like mechanism requires only acceleration and deceleration, but developing a vehicle that is manipulated by moving a handle is still going to take some time.

"In this way, riding in a carriage is nice, but there may come a time when steam locomotives and automobiles replace them. I think the cityscape will likely change dramatically in the next few decades."

"Mechanized vehicles running through the city... is that what you're thinking, Lord Auguste?"

"Yes, I definitely think it will happen. In recent years, science and technology have been making great strides. The more science and technology advance, the more new eras are ushered in. So, I think that within our lifetimes, the era of carriages and the like will undergo a transformation. I believe by the time Thérèse becomes an adult, railway infrastructure will have advanced considerably."

"In that case, we'll be able to use railways for traveling around the country!"

"That's right. If vehicles that can move faster than carriages become popular, the opportunities to ride in carriages will likely decrease... but I still think carriages will continue to have their role to play."

Today, carriages are mainly used in limited places and regions where gasoline stations are scarce, such as the Middle East, Africa, and Central Asia. Essentially, the opportunities to operate carriages have become rare in a society with well-developed railways and road networks, and people prefer automobiles. Being reincarnated as Louis XVI marked my first time riding a horse-drawn carriage. It's a fine means of transportation, but when it comes to speed, I still think it's slow compared to when I was used to driving an automobile. It seemed Antoinette was also curious about how fast the steam locomotive could go.

"How fast is this steam locomotive going to run this time?"

"Ah... I haven't asked about the speed in detail yet... so, is speed something you're looking for, Antoinette?"

"Yes, I'm... a bit impatient, so I'm curious about how fast it will be!"

"Speed... It seems seeking speed is universal... it's not just in Yokohama."

In Yokohama, there had been news reports of daredevil street racers modifying their cars and recklessly speeding on the Tokyo expressway and city streets at speeds exceeding 300 kilometers per hour, competing for the title of the fastest. I wonder if seeking thrills naturally leads to a need for speed?

As for the speed of the steam locomotive, the world's fastest steam locomotive was said to have exceeded 200 kilometers per hour, but I haven't asked about how fast the steam locomotive being showcased today can run. Since it's a significant occasion, I may just ask Cugnot myself. This world's first steam locomotive will be unveiled on a 4-kilometer-long railroad. The railway network following these rails is expected to play an increasingly important role in the future.

We've selected routes for laying down the railway network in advance, and as for the stations where passengers and cargo will embark and disembark, those will be under the control of the state, with buildings housing government tenants gradually being constructed. While it might not be profitable at this stage, we anticipate that in the future, restaurants and residences near the stations will command high prices. In a way, this is because, as a reincarnated individual, I understand the value of railways. If we build essential buildings and tenants near the station, such as apartments, eateries, essential goods stores, guardhouses, and horse-carriage pick-up and drop-off service locations, it will undoubtedly benefit the country in the future.

"Lieutenant Colonel Cugnot received full support from the French Academy of Sciences to create this. There are two versions, one for military use and one for civilian use... it seems that the one being presented to the public today is the civilian model."

"Ah, I had heard that the military model is also nearing completion, but it won't be showcased today?"

"For security reasons, they don't plan to display the finished product, just in case for counter-espionage. Other nations might try to copy it."

"I see..."

"Nevertheless, eventually scientists who understand the convenience of this locomotive will invent it. But until then, it seems like keeping it classified is a good idea. Once allied nations also establish railway networks, it will be an asset for transporting goods and personnel to our friendly forces."

It is also true that we are building locomotives for military purposes, but it will be some time before we announce that in public. The recent situation in Europe, especially in Britain, is a bit suspicious, and if a revolution were to occur, there is a risk that revolutionary ideas could spread to neighboring countries. If this happens, there is a possibility that large-scale fighting could erupt across Europe. This was also to strengthen relations among France's allies and to prepare for a war against the revolution.

'Military locomotives will probably be used as a trump card in wars, too...'

France lost a great deal due to the French Revolution. We mustn't allow such a tragedy to happen again. Churches were destroyed, and those who opposed the revolution were executed as counter-revolutionaries. The Reign of Terror was characterized by governing through fear and intimidation, and countless people became victims, ranging from tens of thousands to, in some estimates, as many as two million.

This wasn't unique to France; similar events occurred in the Soviet Union during the Great Purge and in China during the Cultural Revolution. In both cases, the leaders abused their power, committing atrocities, including persecutions, mass killings, and purges against ordinary citizens. Even the more conservative estimates of casualties are in the hundreds of thousands, so the actual number of people killed was likely many times higher. Radical revolutionary ideology that bypasses real politics and imposes one's own ideals on others, including unjust arrests, imprisonment, persecution of those who supported the previous regime, and brutal purges and massacres of dissenting voices, is an extremely dangerous extremist ideology for building a political system according to one's own preferences.

'Regardless, I'm the only one who can protect Antoinette... I don't want war, but I must prepare for it.'

As I watched Antoinette, who was eagerly anticipating seeing the locomotive next to me, I deeply resolved to do whatever it took to protect her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(253)

"Accident"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In the heart of Paris, on the Champs-Élysées, France's, or rather, the world's first steam locomotive-exclusive station was born. In the original history, this station was established as an expansion of the land around the Arc de Triomphe de l'Étoile, serving as the starting point for railways heading to various regional cities in France. With future convenience in mind, the plan was to expand the railway network across France, like capillaries radiating from this central station. The name of the station received multiple suggestions, but the most straightforward choice was the "Paris Central Station."

The railway route connecting the Central Station extends to a temporary station located a kilometer north. As we laid a single track on the existing major streets, we didn't need to demolish any buildings. At most, we just removed some bricks to lay the rails. This turned out to be quite budget-friendly, so if the effectiveness of the steam locomotive is proven with this, we'll be able to conduct a grand publicity campaign both domestically and abroad. Already, there were many people gathered along the road where the railway tracks were laid. When we, the royal couple, arrived at the station, the cheers were absolutely deafening.

"Ooh! His Majesty! The King and the Queen are here!"

"Your Majesty! Did you come to see the steam locomotive too!?"

"Your Majesty! My Queen!"

The cheers thundered in my eardrums like they were from an EDM festival or something. Even so, it was heartwarming to receive such enthusiastic support from everyone. It made me feel highly motivated. So, I waved my hand and acknowledged the people. We must make this steam locomotive a success for the sake of the nation!

"By the way, where is Lieutenant Colonel Cugnot?"

"This way, Your Majesty."

After being warmly welcomed by the citizens, I arrived at Lieutenant Colonel Cugnot's location. He was in the middle of conducting the final inspection with staff from the French Academy of Sciences. Although the steam locomotive was hidden behind a white partition until its unveiling, when we turned the partition, there it was – the world's first steam locomotive. Painted black and although relatively small in size, the locomotive appeared to have the foundation of a locomotive already in place. A major improvement from Cugnot's earlier cannon carriage was the addition of a control seat at the rear and the installation of a chimney to produce steam by firing the boiler in the front. Its appearance was remarkably similar to the model of one of the earliest steam locomotives I had seen at the museum in Nagoya before my reincarnation.

Even though we were slightly behind schedule, I didn't want to rush things here and risk causing an accident. Instead, I decided to watch warmly. However, as I watched, it became clear that there was trouble on the horizon. Those working on the maintenance of the steam locomotive seemed quite agitated. Suddenly, Lieutenant Colonel Cugnot, who had noticed my presence, rushed over, his face pale, and offered an immediate apology.

"Your Majesty! My Queen, I apologize! We were conducting the final inspection of the steam locomotive, and we discovered a part that needs repair."

"Is that so? Which part is it?"

"Yes... It's the adjustment section of the boiler."

"The adjustment section, I see... It's indeed an important part when dealing with steam engines. How long will the repair take?"

"It'll take about 40 minutes... No, 30 minutes should suffice for the repair. However, we're currently working on an urgent delivery of the repair parts from the workshop where they are being manufactured. I'm truly sorry!"

Just as I was about to think about starting the ceremony, Lieutenant Colonel Cugnot delivered the news of the steam locomotive's damage. However, I saw this as a positive development. It was better to identify the issue during the final inspection rather than having the locomotive break down during the actual event. Given this, I had no reason to blame Cugnot. In fact, I should commend him for reporting the defect he found during the inspection promptly.

"Lieutenant Colonel, please raise your head. You discovered the part that needed repair during the final inspection and ordered the repair without concealing it. That's a commendable action. Reporting the reason for the delay while ensuring we go into the event fully prepared is what's most important now, right? So, I will proceed with my speech and remarks for the public. When the repair is complete, could you please call me?"

"Yes, Your Majesty! I a-apologize deeply for the inconvenience!"

"No, no, there's no need for you to blame yourself. Ensuring that the locomotive is repaired correctly and showing it to the public is what matters. Keep up the good work!"

Cugnot bowed and rushed to begin the repairs. Troubles can happen in any situation, whether due to human error or complex factors. Blaming the person in charge isn't the right approach. Rather, praising them for properly reporting the issue is what earns respect. Scolding or yelling at them indiscriminately leads to demoralization and might encourage covering up mistakes, be they human errors or multifaceted issues. If they reported the issue and are making repairs, that's a good thing. Well, in my previous life, there weren't many people who followed this principle!

...So, I decided to follow the "I am the one who started it" principle and started an impromptu speech to buy some time.

"Now... Antoinette, I'm about to address the crowd for a bit."

"Um... Lord Auguste, may I accompany you during your speech?"

As I was preparing to give my speech, Antoinette expressed her desire to accompany me. I found this quite surprising. Perhaps she also wanted to support the speech, focusing on the newly emerging means of transportation like the cannon carriage and the locomotive?

Just to make sure, I asked her, "That's perfectly fine. Is there something specific you'd like to talk about, Antoinette?"

"Yes, I would like to discuss how the advent of steam engines has brought about these new modes of transportation. You spoke about it before, and now that it's becoming a reality, I want to convey how it's going to change people's lives. If both you and I give the speech, do you think we'll have enough time?"

"Yes, that sounds good... If you run into any trouble during the speech, I'll be there to support you. Shall we do it together?"

"Yes, please!"

Oh, Antoinette is so dependable! With her by my side, there's nothing to fear. The speech would include a brief explanation about steam locomotives, followed by a discussion of our future plans, and then a bit of direct interaction with the citizens. I will be adding this impromptu speech as an extra topping to today's planned speech.

Of course, safety was our top priority. Joseph Saint-Georges, the head of the internal investigations, had stationed security personnel from the Department of Land Administration, so they would be on hand in case of any emergencies. After confirming the staff placement, I inquired with Joseph to ensure there were no security concerns.

"Joseph, have you arranged for the security personnel?"

"Yes, the placement is complete. Security is tight, but to be on the safe side, my subordinates and I will be accompanying Your Majesty and the Queen."

"Great, that's reassuring! If there's an issue, I'll count on you."

"Yes, I'll do everything in my power to protect Your Majesties."

Joseph and his female subordinate were vigilant and alert, so we were in good hands. The female agent, who had recently been assigned to the Department of Land Administration, was personally selected by Joseph and was among a group of women who had been scouted from the ministry. At first glance, she appeared meek, but it was explained that, despite her appearance, she was quite strong and proficient in martial arts, making her an excellent scout. Her name was Rosalia.

Joseph stood by my side, and Rosalia accompanied Antoinette as we stepped forward in front of the crowd. If there was any suspicious activity, they would respond immediately, and given that Joseph excelled not only as a musician but also in swordsmanship, I had no concerns. We might deviate from our planned schedule a bit, but sometimes taking a detour is necessary. With the appearance of the king and queen, the atmosphere was in high spirits.

So, without further ado, let's proceed with the speech.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(254)

"The King and Queen's Speech"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After writing more than 800.000 (Japanese) characters, I find myself saying,"Hey... where does that character belong?" So, this is my first post.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Appearing before the enthusiastic crowd, the atmosphere was just as lively as before. While waiting for the steam locomotive to be repaired, I decided to deliver a speech, which would also serve as a means to pass the time. Originally, the speech was planned to last about ten minutes, but now it needed to be extended to three times its duration. They say the red locomotive is three times faster and more powerful, but this time, I would be tripling the speech duration, speaking clearly and slowly.

Initially, Antoinette was also scheduled to deliver a speech, and I was secretly curious about the content of her speech. However, it seemed that Princesse de Lamballe played a central role in drafting her speech. So, Antoinette and I decided that I would start the speech. As we began the speech, the crowd instantly fell silent.

"Good morning, my fellow countrymen! I am Louis XVI, your King! Today, you, the people who have gathered here, will witness a historic event! The white tent behind me hides a vehicle that runs on the power of steam along rails... yes, it's a steam locomotive! It's currently in the preparation phase, but once it starts moving, it will soon carry more goods and people than a carriage!"

"OOOOOOOOHHH!"

The beginning of the speech went smoothly. I thought it was a good idea to provide an explanation about the steam locomotive, especially since the planned revelation was going to be delayed. Normally, I would have said something like, "Now, let me show it to you all!" and then lowered the tent for a grand unveiling. Instead, I decided to offer an explanation about the steam locomotive, considering it would be better to be honest and clear about it, as this speech required a bit of technical knowledge about trains.

"Now... a steam locomotive, as the name suggests, is a contraption that utilizes steam engines. Has anyone here actually seen a steam engine in action? Please raise your hand if you have."

One after another, people in the crowd raised their hands. One, two, three... Oh, there are more than I expected. I quickly counted about fifty people who claimed to have seen a steam engine. While the total number of people in the crowd was unclear, it seemed that many had indirectly encountered such machines, thanks to their use in coal mines and factories. Nonetheless, many people still seemed puzzled about what a steam engine was. So, I explained its origin.

"Hmm, I'm surprised to see so many people who have encountered steam engines. The development of steam engines has made significant progress in recent decades, but the most practical steam engine, now widely used in factories and locomotives, was invented by James Watt in Britain seven years ago. In other words, steam engines have only recently started to gain popularity."

Steam engines are credited with triggering the Industrial Revolution, which is said to have elevated human civilization to a new level. The contributions of James Watt, who invented the machine, were enormous. The high-pressure steam engine currently under experimental testing at the French Academy of Sciences is an improved version of the machine he devised.

This high-pressure steam engine is classified as a national secret, and it's undergoing improvements to significantly increase its power. Once practical, it will pave the way for substantial upgrades to locomotives. This signifies the rapid progress of science. James Watt invented his steam engine and obtained the patent only seven years ago. Since then, basic research has progressed, and French scientists are now working on producing a high-pressure steam engine with greater output.

"Seven years... In seven years, our science has made significant strides. Harnessing the heat to move machinery, something that would have been considered nonsense or subjected to punishment as heresy five hundred years ago. Now, it's being used in factories and coal mines, and is poised to make a big impact on our lives. It hasn't been seven years yet, but already the seventh year we've come this far in technological advancement. Seven years from now, even the steam locomotive hidden under that white tent will become a common sight in Paris."

When the safety of high-pressure steam engines is ensured, the use of steam locomotives is expected to increase. Initially, it will serve for the transportation of goods rather than passengers, and from there, development and research will be repeated to make it possible to move from station to station. Although it takes time and costs to become profitable, by acquiring expertise in railroads, France will develop railroad technology that can be exported to allied and friendly nations. This is also aimed at strengthening the country's power and technology acquisition.

"...France will be a very different country from now on. In the near future, steam engines will become a common part of daily life, used in many places. Many technologies and research will be cultivated, and from now on, steam engines will serve as the heart of machinery, continuing to drive progress. The steam locomotive we are introducing today, with further improvements, will be able to transport people faster than horses in no time. Eventually, it won't be limited to Paris but will reach other cities as well, dramatically changing people's lives..."

Steam locomotives can't run at high speeds from the outset. With current technology, they reach about 5 kilometers per hour, which is roughly the pace of walking. However, the advantage is that they can carry heavy cargo, making them more practical than horse-drawn carriages or human labor. Rail transport allows for large-scale cargo transportation between stations, which was previously done on foot.

People in the crowd occasionally exclaimed, "Oooh...!"

"Today, I, together with our fellow countrymen, have the honor of celebrating this memorable day! If we were to compare the steam locomotive to a plant, it might still be a small sprout that has just emerged from the ground. However, it will eventually grow larger and bloom. Today is a momentous occasion when the sprout has just surfaced from the soil. Today, June 8, 1776, is a significant day for France... no, it's a day of great importance in the history of humanity!"

"OOOOOOOOHHH!"

The speech went on indirectly, but the people in front of me were highly energized. I couldn't help but recall a memorable scene in Hollywood movies, where the President delivers a stirring speech in preparation for the final battle with extraterrestrials. I had unintentionally given a similar speech, and it was incredibly well received. The applause and cheers lifted my spirits. However, when I discreetly glanced at the tent, the steam locomotive was still not fixed. Although it felt like we had spent about 20 minutes, only about 10 minutes had passed in real-time. Suddenly, I looked at Antoinette, who seemed to have steeled herself. It appeared she was determined to deliver her speech.

"Um... Lord Auguste, I would like to give a speech now."

"Oh, are you sure?"

"Yes! I want to give a speech to start the steam locomotive! I'll do my best!"

As we continued with the speech, we decided to have a clean transition to allow Antoinette to take over the speech. I haven't heard much of Antoinette's speeches, so I was looking forward to what she would say. After taking a deep breath, she began speaking to the crowd.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am Queen Antoinette. I am privileged to speak to you today alongside His Majesty and all of you as we prepare to unveil the steam locomotive... This steam locomotive is the manifestation of science created by the new technology of the steam engine..."

Antoinette's speech was not about the steam locomotive itself but revolved around the use of steam engines in factories and spinning machines. She talked about how without steam engines, spinning machines and factories would not have been completed, and she emphasized the significance of this era as a time of great transformation. While discussing these topics, she mentioned my support for the advancement of science and urged the citizens to take a greater interest in science.

"His Majesty centered his patronage on the steam engine at the Academy of Sciences. He said that in the times to come, science would play a more important role than anything else... These words have truly become a reality today. Some years ago, there was a time when I thought that life would not change significantly with the power of science... However, life is already beginning to change due to the advancement of science, particularly in the field of technology focused on steam engines. I am grateful to be celebrating this memorable day with His Majesty and all of you."

As she concluded her speech, applause rang out throughout the area. Antoinette's speech seemed to have a greater impact on increasing knowledge about science compared to mine. In fact, it appeared that the women in the crowd were nodding along with her, given that the steam engine is a product of the development of science. Antoinette's speech was one step ahead of mine.

"Your Majesty, the repair of the steam locomotive is complete."

"Alright. Is it safe to lower the curtain?"

"Yes, there is no problem."

Then, Lieutenant Colonel Cugnot emerged from the tent and reported to me that the steam locomotive's repairs were finished. The moment for the grand unveiling of the steam locomotive had finally arrived.

"Well then, it's time to unveil the steam locomotive!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(255)

"The Train Runs"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The curtain covering the steam locomotive was lowered. The locomotive was painted black and had large gears attached to the sides of the body. Slowly, as the gears turned, the steam locomotive started moving, emitting steam from its chimney. While I had previously operated 1/2-scale locomotives, this seemed to be the first attempt at running such a large steam locomotive. Of course, they had conducted numerous test runs, so it was likely to proceed without any issues.

"Woooh! So that is the steam locomotive!"

"There's smoke from the chimney when it moves!"

People who were seeing a steam locomotive for the first time cheered and watched in amazement. While they were accustomed to transportation by horse-drawn carriages and such, seeing a vehicle move without using living creatures was a novel experience for them. Since this was still the early stage of the steam locomotive, it didn't reach high speeds, and compared to modern trains and cars, it might be considered slow. However, given that this innovative machine could pull loads weighing hundreds of kilograms, it was a momentous occasion in history, showcasing the dawn of a new era.

To demonstrate the practicality of the steam locomotive, a cargo bed was installed at the rear, loaded with two barrels of wine. Each barrel weighed around 220 kilograms, so together, they carried over 400 kilograms of wine. The reason for carrying wine was to prove the locomotive's capacity to pull such weight, and once it completed the run, there would be a toast with the wine. Originally, they planned to carry more, but due to concerns about derailment and other issues, the cargo load was reduced.

A middle-aged man wearing a hat was staring intently from a café terrace while holding a cup of coffee. A man with a child on his shoulders was pointing at the steam locomotive as it went by. Young women, dressed stylishly, were chatting excitedly as they watched the locomotive. It was certain that steam locomotives would dominate conversations and capture everyone's attention for the foreseeable future.

Lieutenant Colonel Cugnot was at the controls of the steam locomotive, operating the levers with a look of great happiness on his face. The levers appeared to be quite heavy, and he held them firmly with both hands while adjusting the locomotive's speed.

'For Lieutenant Colonel Cugnot, being able to perform so proudly on a public stage must be a source of great joy... he's running the locomotive with such a big smile.'

There were still areas that needed improvement and refinement, but for now, the nation that had invented and introduced the steam locomotive more than a decade ahead of the original history was sure to etch its name into the annals of history. I thought about rewarding Lieutenant Colonel Cugnot and possibly promoting him. He had already gone from Captain to Major to Lieutenant Colonel in rank, and this achievement was bound to go down in the annals of human history. I'd better make a strong recommendation to the military leadership.

The steam locomotive was moving along the rails. The gears were turning smoothly, and the locomotive's basic functionality was already established, so it should proceed without any issues. If the steam locomotive arrives at the temporary station without problems, we can show the practicality of the steam locomotive both at home and abroad, and the French Academy of Sciences will be able to promote the locomotive.

To see the locomotive in action and ensure its practicality, I planned to follow it to the temporary station. This would not be something you could witness every day. However, given the large crowd, it would be necessary to move slowly to avoid accidents. Therefore, a plan was in place for us to ride in horse-drawn carriages following the locomotive for safety.

"Antoinette, this sight will go down in history... a momentous page in human history."

"Yes... it's as you said before, that the age of science is coming... and when I see it moving like this, it brings me to tears."

"That's right. We're planning to travel about a kilometer to the temporary station, so let's ride in a carriage and chase after it."

"Right!"

Lieutenant Colonel Cugnot was operating the locomotive, which was moving at a speed of approximately 5 kilometers per hour, roughly equivalent to a brisk walk. People ran alongside the locomotive as it moved, not just children, but adults too, their eyes shining with excitement.

The road alongside the laid rails was crowded with people, and many were cheering and waving at the locomotive. While it might be moving at a slow pace, it was likely one of the fastest forms of transportation without using horses. Except for vehicles like sailboats and sleds, which relied on wind and slopes for propulsion, this locomotive was probably the fastest.

Antoinette and I, along with our escort, rode in a carriage and formed a procession to follow the locomotive. Even the coachman, who usually drove our carriages, wore an expression of greater happiness than usual, likely due to the extraordinary experience of chasing after a steam locomotive. I could definitely relate to that feeling.

"Nevertheless, it's amazing to see so many people... even though we've constructed railways in the city, maybe we should consider reinforcing the fences and taking precautions to prevent people from stepping onto the tracks."

"That's true... if you look closely, there are people who've climbed over the fences and are chasing after the locomotive."

"Yeah... that's a bit dangerous. We should raise the fences a bit higher..."

Given the presence of tracks in the city, some people were indeed climbing over the fences to chase the locomotive. Despite the lack of a specific reason, many people ventured onto the tracks to take photos. This could be extremely hazardous, and in the event of an accident, the responsibility would fall on the person who had entered the track. While this didn't seem to be an issue on this occasion, precautions would still be necessary. Since I anticipated that access to the tracks might become a problem when railways are officially operational in the future, I would need to address this issue later on.

"How much further to the temporary station?"

"Well, let me see... I think we're about halfway there, and at this pace, we should arrive in another 10 to 20 minutes. We're planning to open the wine as a celebration of completing the journey once we get there."

Just a few minutes away from the temporary station now. Since we laid the tracks alongside the road, it was mostly a straight path. The road's width was originally sufficient, making the construction relatively easy and cost-effective. However, it would take some time to reach the opposite side of the road, so we'd need to build overpasses and create a connecting road. There were many aspects to consider and improvements to make for the full practical use of railways for personnel and cargo transportation. Still, it was a worthwhile investment for the future.

"Oh, look, that's the temporary station! We've arrived earlier than I expected."

"That's right. Even though it's moving at a brisk walking pace, it should be quite heavy with those wine barrels in the cargo. If we can prove that it can handle heavy cargo, people will surely recognize how impressive the steam locomotive is... Also, as a little treat with the wine, I've prepared Antoinette's favorite, prosciutto. We can enjoy it together after the toast."

"That's right!"

We reached the destination we had set, the temporary station, in about 20 minutes, which felt slightly quicker than expected. Upon the locomotive's arrival at the temporary station, a band with musical instruments, including trumpets, was playing, and the people greeted the locomotive with cheers. There were even celebratory fireworks being set off, creating a festive atmosphere throughout Paris.

With the steam locomotive as a backdrop, Antoinette and I disembarked from the carriage and presented certificates to Lieutenant Colonel Cugnot and the members of the French Academy of Sciences who had contributed to the project. Then, we opened the cargo, which contained wine. I noticed that nearby restaurants and tavern owners had also opened wine and were distributing it to the crowd.

The passersby seemed to cherish the rare opportunity to raise a glass with the King and Queen. After confirming that those around us had glasses in hand, I shouted, "Today, we celebrate the safe journey of the steam locomotive, and I would like to propose a toast. So, everyone, let's raise our glasses and toast to this day!"

"""Cheers!"""

As the cheers resounded, people celebrated the day with sips of fine wine. Antoinette, by my side, raised her glass as well, her eyes sparkling as she gazed at the steam locomotive. The red wine tasted even better than usual.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(256)

"Gears in Motion"

★ ★ ★

"The day the world's first steam locomotive ran."

June 8, 1776

Jarrett Patricia, a female journalist from the Paris Industrial Gazette, was at the Paris Central Station, hoping to catch a glimpse of the steam locomotive. However, she was overwhelmed when she saw the steam locomotive for the first time. It was advancing steadily, pulling heavy wine barrels without the use of horses or any other living creatures. The distinct sound of the steam engine filled the air as it moved forward, and children and adults alike followed it, their eyes sparkling with wonder. She recorded the events of that day in an article published in the newspaper the following day:

"A vehicle made of iron and gears, not reliant on animals such as horses or the natural forces of wind, has been born in Paris. The world's first vehicle powered solely by steam has been unveiled in Paris. Parisians, eager to witness this steam locomotive up close, chased after it with an uncharacteristic festive spirit."

Jarrett was attempting to interview Lieutenant Colonel Cugnot, the chief developer of the steam locomotive, but she ended up following the enthusiastic crowd that was chasing the locomotive. The locomotive, which was transporting Burgundy wine aged in barrels, was impressively pulling the heavy cargo. In her article, Jarrett wrote:

"The steam locomotive is running without a decrease in speed, carrying barrels loaded with wine. The locomotive maintained a steady speed as it ran gracefully, demonstrating power that exceeded the author's expectations. If it can move as intended on the tracks, perhaps accidents involving horses going wild and causing collisions or injuring pedestrians could be eliminated?"

Despite the convenience of horse-drawn carriages, horses were living creatures and were often sensitive to sudden noises, causing accidents like runaway carriages or collisions with pedestrians. Jarrett held high hopes that the introduction of steam locomotives and the development of railway networks would lead to a safer era for transportation.

With the advent of steam power, the way of life was changing. The steam locomotive she saw was considered a versatile means of transportation capable of carrying significant loads. However, she also acknowledged that accidents were an inherent risk in the world of transportation, whether it involved horse-drawn carriages, locomotives, or automobiles.

"It's still running... I wonder what the inside of the steam locomotive looks like. Is it like those speculative drawings?"

Jarrett was genuinely curious about the inner workings of the steam locomotive. However, the details were being kept confidential. While France was promoting steam engines for new factories, only limited information about the locomotives was available. Due to the inclusion of proprietary French-developed technology in the locomotive's engine structure, several key components were classified as national secrets, leading to minimal information being disclosed.

The risk of potential information leaks that could lead to the completion of steam locomotives before the French did have worried the French Academy of Sciences. This concern was one of the reasons for the strict secrecy surrounding the details of the locomotives. Lieutenant Colonel Cugnot, as well as everyone involved in the development, adhered to strict measures to protect the project. These measures included prohibitions on consuming alcohol when dining out, complex locking systems to safeguard design plans, and more. In return, King Louis XVI had doubled their salaries, and there were no complaints from the team.

Nevertheless, Jarrett, determined to understand the mechanism of the steam locomotive, collected limited information from various sources and published her predictions in the Paris Industrial Gazette. She gathered factory managers dealing with steam engines and students specialized in the field of science to create a "Steam Locomotive Prediction Diagram." This article was featured as a headline in the newspaper just five days prior.

Although there were some differences between her predictions and the actual steam locomotive, the fundamental principles were quite accurate. The French Academy of Sciences recognized the precision of her predictions and praised her for the insights. However, Jarrett hadn't been entirely clueless about steam locomotives. She had previously seen a miniature version of one displayed at the French Academy of Sciences during an interview. She based her predictions on that memory and discussions with various experts.

The only significant error she made was underestimating the locomotive's size. She had assumed that the scaled-down model she'd seen was the same size as the real locomotive. So when she saw the full-sized locomotive in action, it left her astounded at its enormous scale.

She remarked, "It's even bigger than I expected... I thought the display model was incredible, but seeing something this enormous in motion is truly amazing..."

Steam engines, predominantly used for tasks like pumping water in coal mines and providing power for factories, were becoming a rapidly growing industry thanks to Louis XVI's lead. These engines were slowly but surely permeating people's daily lives. Major newspaper companies were even venturing into developing printing machines using steam locomotives, with Alfred Sans, the president, considering purchasing one when they were released.

"Nowadays, they say they're constantly improving steam engines and attempting to create high-pressure steam engines... If they manage to do that, it could become even more remarkable..."

This was an unimaginable event just a few years ago. Back when steam engines were still considered a novelty, Louis XVI, as the regent of King Louis XV, had ordered the French Academy of Sciences to develop and improve the fundamentals of steam engines shortly after his appointment. Upon learning about this initiative, Janet believed that it demonstrated remarkable foresight.

The influence of Louis XVI, who allocated the development funds and resources, was significant in enabling the steam locomotive to run. A horse-drawn carriage carrying Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette followed the steam locomotive as it progressed, moving one kilometer from the Central Station to the temporary station.

"In this manner, the steam locomotive successfully completed the journey to the temporary station. It achieved this remarkable feat without a single malfunction or issue. The locomotive's accomplishment was celebrated by the gathered crowds, resonating with thunderous cheers, turning Paris into a historic day filled with exuberant enthusiasm, much like setting off fireworks."

People converged around the steam locomotive, which had safely completed its journey to the temporary station. They celebrated the moment with the King and the Queen, holding wine glasses and creating a festive atmosphere. The last time Paris had been this vibrant was when the royal couple welcomed their first child, Princess Thérèse. Jarrett had intended to record this scene meticulously and feature it in the newspaper the following day. As she was contemplating this, a woman with a broad smile approached her from behind. She filled a glass with wine and offered it to her.

"Mademoiselle, would you like a drink?"

"Me? Are you offering it to me?"

"Yes, with Their Majesties preparing to make a toast, it's only fitting for everyone here to join in the celebration. Also, the first glass is on the house, so please enjoy!"

"W-well... if you put it that way... I'll have one, then."

Jarrett hadn't originally planned to have a drink, but due to the kind gesture of the female tavern owner who was watching the steam locomotive nearby, she couldn't refuse the offer. In the spirit of the celebration around her, she raised her glass, made a toast, and sipped the wine. The wine's subtle fragrance mixed with the warmth of the occasion, making its taste exceptionally delightful.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

18.7K 192 132
The ancient saying goes: Most generals come from Guan Xi, while ministers come from Guan Dong. He Lisa was born to be a Star General. She was merely...
269 67 8
Do you believe in love at first sight? It might be with the love of your life. 🌹 Princess Rosaline's life was bound by a prophecy long before she wa...
3.6K 259 19
Athanasia de Alger Obelia is the heir to the biggest company in the country, A.O. Establishment. Being both beautiful and smart made her the center o...
263K 10K 29
"The Catalyst Curse. One born and bred from an explosion of unprecedented emotion, thousands of years ago. Several Jujutsu Sorcerers tried exorcising...