Greenbriar shenanigans (one-s...

By nerdyflower123

Being the high King and high Queen of Elfhame is difficult enough but what happens when you throw a few young... More

Can I do your make-up?
Bedtime fairytales
A normal day of the royal family of Elfhame
Monopoly night
The fifth prince of the underseas
Arcade and getting catnapped

The art of naming

594 14 1
By nerdyflower123

Jude relaxed into her white silk gown as she let Tatterfell run the comb through her hair. It had been a grueling and excruciating 12 hours for her as she welcomed her daughter, her second child into the world. The nine long months of not being able to do anything had finally ended and she had never before been more glad for being able to actually see her feet when she looked down.

Yet she knew she would do that all over again if it meant being able to hold her precious daughter in her arms. A daughter whose name was yet undecided.

"How would you like me to do your hair?" Tatterfell asked as she held up a few strands of her hair between her fingers in a contemplative gesture.

"Leave it open. Also don't put on any make up for now. I'd like to get back to my chamber and rest."

Tatterfell gave a small nod in return as she stepped back offering her a curtsey. Jude swept past her, trying to hold herself as regally as possible but at the same time anxious to return back to her new borne child.

***

The three-year-old toddler prince, Tristan Greenbriar grasped his fathers fore arms as he tried to get a better look at his little sister, all bundled up in her fathers arms. Cardan smiled at Tristan, gently lowering his arms to allow his son a better view of the little princess. The boys eyes widened in wonder and amazement, as his tiny tail whipped back and forth in excitement. 

"Dad, Look! She just opened her mouth! What is she saying?" Tristan squealed bouncing upon his butt as he pointed at the baby.

"Well, I assume she's yawning, son. It'll take her a little time to start speaking." Cardan gazed down at his daughter in pure adoration and pride.

"What's she called, Dad?"

"Exactly Cardan, what is she called? I assume you've already decided upon a decent name for our daughter. Especially after you begged me to let you name her this time, since I got to name our son the time before." 

Jude stood leaning against the door frame, her arms crossed and a tight lipped smile upon her lips. There was dangerous sharpness to her words, as though saying 'I dare you to have forgotten to decide upon a name for her'.

Cardan's smile momentarily fell at the sight of his wife before it stretched into broad grin. Tristan's eyes lit up at the sight of his mother.

"Mum!" He rushed over to Jude, tightly hugging her legs. Her face softened instantly as she knelt down to embrace her son.

"I missed you a lot. No body would let me see you. They said you're busy."

"I know, Tristan. I'm sorry I couldn't see you but I was a little busy. I missed you too." Jude gently pressed her lips upon the young princes temple before turning her gaze back to Cardan. Cardan cleared his throat slightly under Jude's piercing gaze.

"Of course, my Queen. I have indeed selected a name for her, a quite befitting name if I say so myself." Cardan announced proudly all the while gently brushing away the black curls from the baby's pale fore head. The said baby let out a soft sniffle before burying herself deeper into her fathers chest. Jude could almost see her husbands heart melting at the tiny gesture.

"I hope it's decent and befitting for a faerie princess. Because, honestly, the previous names you'd suggested were- er, unique- but not quite suitable for her."

"They were beautiful. Still you kept rejecting them."

"Jude II or Elvendork are not suitable, Cardan. Trust me on that."

"I do, that's why I have worked harder than I have worked all my life and come up with the perfect name. A master piece actually."

"Is that so? Lets hear your master piece then." Jude said raising an eye brow, Cardans grin morphed into a smirk at that.

"Well, I'm afraid it's a surprise."

"What?"

"A surprise. I'll disclose her name at the ceremony in the honor of her birth tonight."

"Cardan, you've got to be joking right now. Let me hear it. What if it's not suitable? What if-"

"It's perfect, Jude. I gave it a lot of thought and I promise you'll love it. I just really want it to be a surprise." Jude opened her mouth to protest but at the sight of Cardans pleading look pulled herself back.

"Fine, but it better be worth it." Cardan lips stretched into a broad grin.

"I promise."

A loud cry filled the chamber alerting both the parents.

"Mum! The baby's screaming! Look! Is it being attacked by a monster?" Tristan exclaimed in shock tugging at his mothers gown. 

"No Tris, the baby's just hungry."

***

Jude and Cardan sat at their thrones with the crowns atop their heads, in all their regal glories. The new borne princess lay in the High Queens arms bundled in the most fanciest and elegant of designed silk blanket. Cardans cheeks glowed a golden-ish haze and his eyes brought out by the black liner surrounding his eyes. He looked like a true High King of Elfhame.

'He looks beautiful'

Jude instantly blushed at her own thoughts, a gesture not gone unnoticed by her husband who smirked knowingly.

"Like what you see, my sweet nemesis?"

"Shut up"

Oak sat beside them with Tristan on his lap shot them a disturbed look. He turned back to the young prince however, whose face was scrunched up in concentration as he tapped the video game screen desperately.

"Good job, Tristan! You're getting the hang of it now!" He praised the boy in his lap.

Jude looked up see her sisters, Taryn and Vivienne make their way towards them, alongside her little nephew, Leon who clasped his mothers hand. Taryn performed a curtsey glancing at her son to do the same, Leon copied his mother. Vivienne on the other hand simply grinned a Cheshire grin.

"How's the little rascal?" She cried out happily gazing at the baby in her sisters arms. An awkward cough sounded from the Bomb beside them.

"Please don't call the princess of Elfhame a rascal Vivi, but she's good. A lot calmer than Tristan was at this age."

"Definitely, he kept screaming throughout his birth honoring ceremony." Taryn nodded sympathetically. 

"Can I see the baby, aunt Jude?" Leon piped up. Jude smiled gently tugging her nephew closer to let him gaze at her daughter.

"She's beautiful, isn't she? Just like her mother." Cardan smiled at Leon, who nodded happily. Jude blushed once again.

"Well, she does look a lot like Jude at a closer glance but otherwise she's a carbon copy of you Cardan." Taryn said softly gazing at her nieces black curls, pale skin and pointed ears.

"She has Jude's eyes. What's her name by the way?" Vivi asked grinning at the royal couple. Jude let out a annoyed huff at that. 

"I don't know."

Both Taryn and Vivi looked at their sister confused.

"What?"

"I don't know what her name is. Cardan was responsible for picking out a name this time and insists on keeping it a surprise."

"Don't worry, my wife. I promise this name is one of my finest works as of yet. You'd love it. If you're really that impatient I could announce the name right now."

"Could you? Because I really am getting impatient." Cardan smirked. He slipped out of his throne, within seconds the entire room fell silent as the murmur died out. All looked expectantly at their High king.

"Well, as we all know we have gathered here tonight on this auspicious event of the birth of my daughter, my second born child." He gave a dramatic pause before gently slipping his daughter out of his wife's arm and holding her up. A low murmur of admiration ran through the room at the sight of the young princess.

"Now, let me present before you, princess Cassandra Evelyn Duarte Greenbriar." Cardan punctuated his declaration with a proud grin. 

The court room fell silent, as they all stared at their king with a look of shock and mild amusement.

The toy game fell out of Tristan's hands as both he and Oak stared at Cardan. Taryn gaped at her brother-in-law as Vivi looked ready to burst out in her infamous cackles. Still nothing could be compared to how Jude looked at husband as though he had just grown three extra tails.

Cardans tail whipped back in anticipation as he waited for his subjects to burst out in admiration for his master piece. When none came his brow scrunched up in a frown.

"Well, this is where you all start clapping, you know. Cheer for the princess and say what a delightful name she has."

Grima Mog was the first to snap out of the shock as she started cheering and clapping, everyone followed suit albeit a bit warily. Soon the room was filled with cheers and hoots.

"Well, carry on with the celebration." Cardan proudly turned back making his way towards his wife.

"Well? How do you like the surprise?"

 Jude's face went black with fury.

"Cardan, what were you thinking naming her that? You've just made a joke out of her and ourselves with that name. That too in front of all our subjects!" Jude hissed causing Cardans face to fall.

"What? But I thought you'd like the name. It's beautiful, just like her. You can even call her Cassie for short." 

"Cardan, are you sure you were in your right state of mind naming her that?"

"Of course, I've always loved the name Cassandra. Evelyn is a mix of my sisters name Elowyn and your mothers name Eva. I thought you'd like that." Jude's face instantly softened.

"But-"

"Do you really dislike the name that much?" 

Jude hesitated.

"It's beautiful, Cardan. But isn't it a bit too long?" Cardan looked thoughtful at that.

"That's the only draw back. Otherwise the names perfect."

Jude gave a small defeated sigh.

"Alright, then. Let's just hope your daughter doesn't question your sanity a few years down the line."

***

15 years later

"What the hell was wrong with your sanity when you named me this, Dad?" Cassie hissed as she grasped her fathers hand. Jude muffled a chortle as Tristan snickered. Cardan simply smiled.

"It was at it's best when I named you this."

Cassie rolled her eyes in annoyance.

"Tristan has got such a normal name. Why couldn't you have just let Mum name me instead?"

"It's perfect for you, my little Sassy." Cardan said as he greeted a member of the unseelie court.

"I don't think you've met my sister, let me introduce you to my sister, princess Cassandra Evelyn Dua-" Tristan reached out proactively towards the unseelie court member but was cut off by the said princess.

"That's enough. I think they already know me, Tristan." Cassie hissed venomously at her brother looking mortified as Cardan frowned. 

Jude on the other hand smirked. She leaned towards her husband, bringing her lips close his ear.

"I told you, she would question your sanity one day."

***

This fanfic is devoted to a really close friend of mine. In fact, most of the ideas for this fanfic are from her. If my friend is reading this, she'd surely know it's her I'm talking about (;  Do give me more ideas for more Jurdan family fics though I already have some lined up.

Yours beloved

Author XX

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 42 9
Heather Westergaurd was a true princess. She was beautiful, kind, and ever gentle, for these where the values her father taught her to be, at least i...
830 55 10
What would happen if Cardan and Jude's son met the daughter of Lord Roiben Rye and Kaye, rulers of the Court of Termites? Between a new violent war...
21.7K 866 27
TEASER: "No fiancΓ©e of mine needs to learn how to fight." His breath flows upon the prickling skin of my neck. I close my eyes, involuntarily shu...
74.1K 2K 14
Jude Duarte is the Queen of Faerie, but few people know that. Married in secret then banished to the mortal realm, Jude has to find her footing again...