The Land Set Aflame

By keltonwelch

In the Kallawlands, everything burns. Prairies, homes, hearts - the wildfires will take it all. Some fires ar... More

Chapter 1: The Rogue Elemental
Chapter 2: The Lambent Lights
Chapter 3: The Nymph's Daughter
Chapter 4: The Heroes of Kernohest
Chapter 5: The Dancing Flame
Chapter 6: The Half-Spirit
Chapter 7: The Heart's Ember
Chapter 8: The Sleep Spell
Chapter 9: The Blacksmith's Furnace
Chapter 10: The Little Fireball
Chapter 11: The Mud Fight
Chapter 12: The Fairy's Hair
Chapter 13: The Muddy Escapade
Chapter 14: The Master
Chapter 15: The Loss
Chapter 16: The Ritual
Chapter 17: The Tallas Hills
Chapter 18: The Beasts
Chapter 19: The Healer's Touch
Chapter 20: The Nymph's Curse
Chapter 21: The Shadowflame
Chapter 22: The Messenger
Chapter 23: The Umber Well
Chapter 24: The Wizard's Tower
Chapter 25: The Wizard's Door
Chapter 26: The Wooden Ring
Chapter 27: The Talisman
Chapter 28: The Nymph's Kiss
Chapter 29: The Kallaw
Chapter 30: The Shadow Gate
Chapter 31: The Shadow Dryad
Chapter 32: The Tainted Forest
Chapter 33: The Master's Call
Chapter 34: The Swords of Oak and Shadow
Chapter 35: The Elemental Heart
Chapter 36: The Dance of Darkness
Chapter 37: The Obsidian Shard
Chapter 38: The Gust of Wind
Part 39: The Cursed Wound
Chapter 40: The Twilly's Count
Chapter 41: The Second Kiss
Chapter 42: The Mixed Blood
Chapter 43: The Dark Kallaw
Chapter 44: The Message
Chapter 45: The Bedroom
Chapter 46: The Nymph Queen
Chapter 47: The Magical Bow
Chapter 48: The Fireproof Pillow
Chapter 49: The Heart of Aevenwy
Chapter 50: The Protector
Chapter 51: The Single Strand
Chapter 52: The Fickle Heart
Chapter 54: The Crossing
Chapter 55: The Crossing (Again)
Chapter 56: The Swallowing Vines
Chapter 57: The Three Arrows
Chapter 58: The Dryad's Magic
Chapter 59: The Path
Chapter 60: The Wailing Spirit
Chapter 61: The Touch of Flames
Chapter 62: The Childhood Friends
Chapter 63: The Dark Pain
Chapter 64: The Heart's Burden
Chapter 65: The Sisterly Bond
Chapter 66: The Confusion
Chapter 67: The Whisper Blossoms
Chapter 68: The Talons
Chapter 69: The Rubble
Chapter 70: The Notebook
Chapter 71: The Flower Bed
Chapter 72: The Land Aflame
Chapter 73: The Gray
Chapter 74: The Heart Aflame
Chapter 75: The Homecoming
Chapter 76: The Firefight
Chapter 77: The Prejudice
Chapter 78: The Fireplace
Chapter 79: The Mended Flesh
Chapter 80: The Confidence
Chapter 81: The Chains
Chapter 82: The Strategy
Chapter 83: The Approach
Chapter 84: The Deal
Chapter 85: The Goodbye Kiss
Chapter 86: The Whispers
Chapter 87: The Bonds
Chapter 88: The Master of All Flames

Chapter 53: The Whiteflame

7 2 1
By keltonwelch

Voices were a strange concept.

Well, maybe it wasn't the voices that were strange: it was her ears that were strange.

A year ago, they weren't even ears: they were just ornamental shapes in her flames that added to the illusion of her overall humanlike appearance.

But now, it seemed like the voices were coming to her through those ears, and she was twisting her flames around as they were an actual head with actual eyes that had to be pointed in the right direction to see where the voice had come from.

"What's wrong, dear?" the voice had asked.

It had come from Alloria Rosa. There was a particular tone to the voice, and Kithana could feel it trying to elicit a specific reaction inside her... heart?

Alloria Rosa cared about her.

Kithana looked down. "I burnt these flowers," she said. Was that the right tone? It didn't sound like she was sad about it. She was sad about it, wasn't she? Then why didn't she sound sad. She knew what a sad voice should sound like, but it was hard to get it right.

"But, they're back now," Alloria Rosa said, "So everything's fine. There's no need to worry."

"I wasn't paying attention," Kithana said, "It was an accident. I didn't think they would burn, because your magic is here."

"I know," Alloria Rosa said. That was a gentle, calming tone: she wanted Kithana to feel comfortable.

She did feel comfortable.

"I underestimated your magic," Alloria Rosa continued, "Fire elementals are usually intense and aggressive and shortsighted. They burn hot and fast, then move on to the next flammable thing.

"You're more deliberate and wary, but your flame is just as intense under the right situations."

"I'm sorry," Kithana said, "I usually control it better."

Alloria Rosa's face took on a very particular set of expressive qualities, but it was hard to read. She seemed very kind and understanding, but it also seemed like her eyes were cutting right into and through Kithana with an intensity she rarely felt.

" 'Control'," the nymph queen said, "I bet that's a word you're used to hearing. You have to control yourself, control your magic, or the world around you burns. It must be exhausting."

Kithana didn't know what to say. "I..." she hesitated, "I don't know. But, I do wish I didn't have to worry about burning things."

The nymph queen laughed a light laugh. It sounded a lot like Callyndia's laugh: light and gentle, and a little infectious. Most nymphs seemed to laugh that way. Kithana had tried to mimic it before, but she never seemed to be able to tell the right moment to do it.

"Why are you laughing?" Kithana asked, "Am I funny? Because I don't understand?"

"A little," Alloria Rosa said, "But mostly, it's because... well, it all feels so familiar to me."

"What feels familiar?" Kithana asked.

" 'Control'," Alloria Rosa answered, "They've always said it to me too. I can't walk into a human town without someone telling me I'm causing trouble, that I'm a menace, that men are going to act stupid because I walked by. Like it's my fault. It's why I stay here in the forest, with only other fairies around me."

"But, it is my fault," Kithana said, "I really do burn things I touch."

Alloria Rosa bit her lip. "Yes, it was a bit of a limited metaphor," she said, "But..." She sighed. "Well, perhaps you don't have to burn things you touch."

"I don't think I get to choose," Kithana said, "Not always. I don't burn Leofric anymore, and mostly I can stop it. But sometimes... well, it's just the nature of fire. Fire burns things."

"Not always," Alloria Rosa said. She raised a hand in an elegant gesture, and it suddenly burst into flames.

Well, it looked like a flame. But, it was white. Flickering, waving white light danced around the nymph queen's hand, without burning her.

"You can do pyrurgy too?" Kithana asked.

"Well, sort of," Alloria Rosa said, "You know that fire is a material phenomenon, but we're not material beings. For us, the rules of the Material World are... rather looser than they are for humans and other material beings. To them, mana is a wondrous thing that has a certain nature, be it fire or shadow or fairy or radiance. For us... mana is a bit more fluid."

Alloria Rosa brandished the whiteflame about for a moment. "Is this fire?" she asked, "Or, is it simply mana that I've made to look like fire?" She knelt down and stretched her hand out, touching the flowers that had just grown from the ashes of Kithana's last burn.

The flowers didn't burn.

Alloria Rosa gave Kithana a look. It was sort of an expectant look, like she thought Kithana should understand what was happening.

But, Kithana didn't understand.

"So, your whiteflame doesn't burn flowers?" she asked.

Alloria Rosa smiled and stood up. "It's mana, dear," she said, "It's not necessarily fire. Well, it is. But it isn't. The trick is learning how to do it. Here—" She held out her whiteflame towards Kithana. "Touch it."

Kithana obediently raised a hand to touch it. There was a sudden discomfort and pain! It felt like... actually, she didn't know what it felt like. She'd never experienced that sensation before. It felt like snow or ice, very painfully cold, but... not actually cold. She pulled her flames back and melted into defensive shapelessness.

"Sorry," Alloria Rosa said, extinguishing her whiteflame, "I hope it didn't hurt too much. You see, it's not really fire, so it doesn't burn quite like fire. In fact, it burns fire elementals far more than it would burn anything else."

"Why would you do that?" Kithana asked.

"Well, it wasn't necesssarily intentional," she explained, "But when the wildfires started spreading, I discovered this whiteflame, and how it actually burns spirits made of fire. I bet that's something that would be quite useful to you."

"Yes!" Kithana said, "Leofric would like to know how to do that. He's very interested in pyrurgy! And, if I have to help him fight fire spirits or shadowflames... maybe your whiteflame is the key?"

"Perhaps," Alloria Rosa agreed, "But I can't just... give it to you. You'll have to learn how to produce this kind of flame yourself."

"Can you teach me?" Kithana asked, "Or, teach us?"

Alloria Rosa laughed. This one was a bit of an unstable laugh... she was uncomfortable or unsure. "I'm a fairy," she said apologetically, "I'm afraid that magic comes to me rather naturally, and not through study. I'm not exactly sure how to teach it."

"Well, I'm a spirit too," Kithana said, "My magic is just natural to me. Maybe there's a way you could... transfer it? Or maybe, I could just... try it?"

She took a second to think about it. If whiteflame could burn a fire elemental, it must be incredibly hot! So, maybe she just needed to focus on making herself hotter.

She tried. There's a certain way to focus and condense her heat, to force a lot of energy into a small space. It was uncomfortable, but she'd done it before. She could—

Suddenly, there was a shimmering field of magic around her. She looked up in surprise, and saw Alloria Rosa smiling at her. It was a very particular smile.

"Easy, Kithana!" the nymph queen chided softly, "I don't think that's how it works. You're liable to burn the bluebells again."

Kithana stopped condensing her heat and made a frowning expression. "Well, then how do I do it?" she asked.

"I don't know," Alloria Rosa said, "To me, it's simply a matter of seeing the mana in front of me, and visualizing what I want it to do. Perhaps I could share my experience of it with you."

"Okay?" Kithana said carefully.

Alloria Rosa reached out to touch Kithana's head. Kithana shied back reflexively, not wanting to burn the nymph queen. But, Alloria Rosa simply smiled patiently and extended her hand further, touching Kithana's forehead.

She didn't get burned.

And suddenly, there was a strange sensation in Kithana's head. Her mind seemed to suddenly understand something, to feel an impression... she suddenly had an idea of what whiteflame was, and she could visualize it in her mind.

She held out her hand, mimicking that same, elegant gesture Alloria Rosa had used, and imagined her hand haloed in whiteflame.

One little droplet of flame turned bright white as it rose and wobbled away from Kithana's hand. But the remainder of Kithana's flames remained orange.

She looked up at Alloria Rosa in confusion. "I tried," she said, "It's hard."

Alloria Rosa smiled. This was that kind, patient smile again. "It will take some practice," she said, "Just keep working at it. I'm sure you'll figure it out, now that I've helped you visualize your goal."

-----

Thanks for continuing to read The Land Set Aflame! This is my first experimental chapter. I wasn't planning on this chapter existing, and I just cobbled it together a couple days ago. I haven't even really proofread it, so it feels really rough to me, and I'm not happy with it yet. Maybe I'll rewrite it at some point and upload a better version. But for now, this is what you get.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71 0 9
In this world anything can happen, and it most likely will. The children of the Elementals have a whole land to discover and a massive amount of trou...
806 6 35
When four friends find Elemental Warriors on the verge of death what will they do to save the world in their place when they also have the chance to...
742 30 35
Maybe it all could have happened but feelings were kept hidden. Once they were revealed it may have been a little to late. When fake dating goes wron...
820 219 22
What can life do for such a soul that is lost. Can this soul be healed. Can it be as it once was. Can I ever feel. Why so lost. Can i dream. Breathe...