Playing The Dare

By bookishabix

BOOK ONE in The WSU Series, The New Generation, Sage Gomez-Carter Being a legacy at WSU may appear to be ever... More

information
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter tweleve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen

prologue

985 29 48
By bookishabix

Washington State University is everything my parents told me it would be.

My first week was a blast, I am now all moved into my little apartment on the edge of campus. Mom offered to help but with her busy in the bakery, I knew I could have done it by myself... Well, I moved most of my stuff by myself.

"Jesus Christ, Sage," the voice rang out, "what on earth do you have in here?" I turned to watch my best friend push a brown box over the threshold of my mini apartment. I shrugged as he peered up at me, "if you say books--" He began before I cut him off with a smile, "okay, they are not books."

Caleb narrowed his eyes at me, and in moments like these, all I see is his mother. "You made me carry up this heavy box that was filled with books?" He asked with a quick breath with one final push. "I didn't make you, you did this on your own accord, Jones," I corrected as I reached the box, quickly, I ripped the tape to see inside. A smile took over my face as I saw my special edition of Normal People sat on top. Even when I reached inside to check for damages, my smile didn't fade when I heard Caleb sigh.

"Remind me, the next time I see you struggling with a box, do not to help," he said dramatically as he crossed the room. I turned to watch him open a cupboard in the kitchen where I know holds cups. "Stop being a baby," I teased as I placed the hardback on the coffee table in front of the couch. Unlike me, Caleb Jones is in his second year at WSU, he's also been moved in for the past two weeks. He won't admit it, but he was more excited than myself to head back to college.

I study my friend as he fills his glass cup with water, he certainly looks like his father. My uncle Hayden, a football God. Similar to his dad, Caleb is also on the football team, I would never admit this to him but he's good too, amazing actually. Though when you grow up being taught by the Hayden Jones, it makes sense.

"So, where's Rina today?" Caleb asked with a boyish grin as his eyes scanned the apartment. In moments like these, I forget that I've known him my whole life. "She's getting coffee," I said with a smile knowing that was not the answer he would have wanted. I share this three bedroom apartment with my two other friends, Sabrina Lewis and Winter Bliss. Both of them, similar to Caleb, are in their second year. I'm a baby to them, and as much as I adore them, the only reason I'm sharing an apartment with them is because our mothers claimed it was such a good idea.

They always say that their college days were the best, and the things they did. Mom always says that if she didn't go to WSU, she doesn't know where she'd be today. She's grateful for WSU because it brought her to dad, if I wasn't a reader, I would gag at that.

"I swear, she's avoiding me," Caleb commented as he tipped his glass in my direction. "And why would she be doing that?" I know exactly why, as does he, hence why he rolls his eyes at me as if the question I just asked was crazy. "We may have gotten drunk," he admits before whispering the bit of information that catches my attention, "and made out." I leaned in, "I'm sorry, what was that?" I tease as I cup my ear to listen closer. "We made out," Caleb muttered louder the second time. I couldn't help but grin at the way he fidgets.

Caleb Jones, number two, doesn't get uncomfortable. Like he would say, he's a God, on and off of the field. And yet, all it takes is one make out session with Sabrina Lewis, and he's a mess. It makes sense now, why he helped me with the box, despite how heavy it was, why he made himself a drink. I squinted my eyes at him before laughing. He didn't find it funny but by God I did, "you like Sabrina," I stated the obvious.

"No," he shook his head before repeating the word, "no, no." He went on repeating it as if he was trying harder to convince himself rather than me.

"You like Sabrina Lewis," I shrugged my shoulders while pretending to check my nails for any chips in the polish. "No, I get it, she's the hot cheerleader, you're the hot quarterback," I stated the truth, "Jesus, it could be a movie," I let out a small laugh again at how much sense this made. Though, unlike the movies, Sabrina wasn't a perky-sunshine cheerleader, it was her moms idea. When Rina was younger, she always wanted to be one, she could dance like one, and then last year, a flip switched and suddenly she didn't want to be one. Thankfully, she had already applied and auditioned before the start of college, so she couldn't back out of it.

I think it's good for her, plus that way, she can still dance.

Sabrina, similar to Caleb, just likes to be dramatic every now and then.

"This is not a movie," Caleb muttered as I watched with bright eyes, he rinsed out his glass before placing it on the rack. "It could be," I mused, it was fun being like this with Caleb. Whenever I see him out at a social event or a party, though I only went to one last week, he wasn't necessarily different, but he wasn't him. I guess he has a good reputation, he fits in at college, he has the team, he has the hot cheerleaders fawning over him, it makes sense. Though, I'm grateful that we have our friendship, as small as it might be to him, though he would always argue against that assumption.

That our friendship was anything less important to him than it was to me. He liked how simple and easy it was between us. Mom says that we remind her of how she was with Hayden, and for a while she was rooting for the two of us but I couldn't see it.

Plus, I wouldn't want anything to get in the way of our friendship, I adore it, and would mourn over it if anything bad happened between us. I liked being one of Caleb Jones' best friends.

"Your brain never fails to amaze me, Sage Gomez-Carter," I smiled at his words. In moments like these it was just us, always would be. I don't think he'd be able to cope without me, if I dare say so myself. "You like my brain," I say with a wink, he grins as he steps out of the small open-plan kitchen. He offers me a small, playful salute.

"Coming to the game?" He asked over his shoulder, never stopping to wait for the answer. I rolled my eyes because he knew I was going. Of course I would, "I wouldn't miss it," I answered, it was then when he looked over his shoulder, he threw me a wink that made him look younger than what he was before leaving.

Caleb Jones is one of a kind, my mom always says she sees a lot of her and uncle Hayden in us. I guess it makes sense, we're friends, he may even be my best-friend, if we don't include my sister. Eloise, my older sister, only by five minutes though, goes to college on the East coast. She didn't think WSU was for her, she wanted to get out of Pullman, so she headed to the big apple. Some art school, she's doing good, enjoying her new life.

I let out a sigh as I glanced around the apartment, I make a quick note to buy warm fairy lights to hang around the place.

WSU would be good to me, with lectures beginning Monday, college was officially starting. I'm majoring in English Literature, hence why I brought a box full of books from home. I didn't need them but by God they'll look good on my bookshelf in my room. But most importantly, this is where my parents met.

Washington State University was where their love story began, and some, small part of me wishes that I will also get to experience that. Mom always said that college was some of the best years of her life...

"Say you'll remember me."

Wildest Dreams (Taylor's Version)

I will forever be sadden that she cut the song from the Eras Tour Movie, (and let's not even talk about her cutting out The Archer, I was emotionally destroyed).

The prologue is complete, what is everyone's thoughts? It was short but sweet. I cannot wait for you to meet everyone, and especially see the storyline that'll come. Sage and her love interest also features a trope I haven't done before, so that is very exciting. You'll like her future boyfriend, I promise. And trust me, he isn't like any other male main character I have written before, and I already adore him, he's just so pure.

But for now, I do hope you've liked the opener to Playing The Dare, do tell me your thoughts, I always love to hear them. Also, similar to all my other stories, remember to vote and comment, it shows me that you enjoyed it and want to see more.

Also, if you post anything to do with the series, (new or old) please do tag me, I love to see them and to be honest, I freak out when I do.

"If it's all in my head, tell me now, tell me I've got it wrong somehow."

Tolerate it

I couldn't not also include this quote, and that whole performance for The Eras Tour, killed me.

"In a storm, in my best dress, fearless."

Fearless (Taylor's Version)

***

Love you always,

multiverseeditsx.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

429K 7.8K 69
- COMPLETED - BOOK TWO in The WSU Series HIGHEST RANKINGS : #1 in Sports Romance #1 in College Romance Olivia Johnson - My dad gave me one rule. On...
362K 7.9K 69
BOOK FOUR in The WSU Series Elizabeth Young - I've always wanted the star-crossed lovers type of relationship - who knew I would actually get it? The...
308K 12.4K 66
I chuckled slightly and shook my head. "Does that usually work for you? The cute little remarks and that nice smile." I teased. He gave me a sheepish...
51.2K 928 34
(NOT FULLY EDITED) Madison has dealt with abuse and heart ache her whole life thinking that it was what she deserved. First her parents then her boyf...