The Missing Piece // Scarlett...

By Onixena

"The Missing Piece" is an exciting novel of drama and tenderness that will take you through the search for th... More

In a Dysfunctional Family
Mirror image
Planning the Unpredictable
Lost in Central Park
Rescued
Mama Bear
Subtle Hints of Secrets
Storm from the Past
In the present time
Rose is at home
The Long-Awaited Day
Games and Detentions
Hectic Day
It Can't Happen Again!
Unveiling the Smiths
Breaking the Catatonia
Between Therapy, Games, and Judgment
Revealed Secrets and a Drenched Watch
Missing
White Water
Between Demons and Smiles
School Return
Take 20! Action!
Countdown
The Echo of the Tick-Tock
Behind The Silence
Between Tenderness and Anger
Return to the Warmth of Home
Bitter and Sweet
Changes and Mad Pace
The Found Piece

Waking in Silence

1.3K 61 9
By Onixena

June spent the entire morning with a furrowed brow, crossed arms, and a disdainful look every time Scarlett appeared. It all started when they returned after enjoying an ice cream, and Scarlett received a call from her friend Iratxe. While Iratxe began to tell her about some policemen taking away their mothers, Scarlett hung up the phone before she could find out what had happened or continue talking to her friend.

"Are you going to keep that sour face when you're so beautiful?" Scarlett asked, offering a bowl of ice cream as a peace offering.

Reluctantly, June accepted the bowl, albeit with tightly pressed lips. Scarlett had to stifle her laughter to prevent the girl from getting even angrier.

"Are you still mad?" Scarlett asked.

"You hung up, Iratxe thought I hung up and she'll be mad at me. She's my best friend, and you take good care of good friends," she said as she took a spoonful into her mouth, even though she always enjoyed the ice cream, despite having to deal with a stomachache later.

"Sweetie, next time we call, if you want, I'll explain that it was me," Scarlett said as she sat next to her daughter and ate from her own bowl.

June's expression began to relax.

"Will you promise?" she asked, extending her pinky finger for Scarlett to join with hers and seal it with a solemn commitment. "It's a vow, and you can't break it."

"Not even if Thor threw a lightning bolt," she winked, taking another spoonful into her mouth. The ice cream was quickly melting under the summer sun, forming little puddles around the cone's edges.

A little later, June was dressed in an outfit that Scarlett had carefully selected online: a light cotton dress with vibrant patterns and some adorable, comfortable shoes that were completely new to the girl. Scarlett then gave her some braided hair and led her to the car, an elegant black Audi Q5 parked in front of their house. June had no idea where they were heading, but she assumed that the actress had business to attend to and didn't want to leave her alone at home.

"Where are we going?" she asked, swinging her legs in the car seat, the straps of which were decorated with unicorn designs.

Scarlett hesitated, glancing in the rearview mirror as she started the car.

"We're going for a check-up. I'm concerned about your stomachache and just want to make sure you're okay, alright, sweetie?"

June nodded, gazing out of the window. She couldn't recall how long she had been in New York, and all she could think about was how upset her parents would be and how she was falling behind in school. She feared struggling to adapt again. She slumped her shoulders, not wanting to hear that she couldn't do it, or have John make fun of her for not keeping up with him.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" Scarlett flashed a warm smile as she drove through the bustling city streets.

June looked ahead upon hearing the question.

"When will I go back home?" she asked, a hint of longing in her voice.

Biting her lip, Scarlett decided on her response as she stopped the car at a red traffic light.

"Do you really want to go back?" she inquired, giving herself a moment to think. She wanted June to know that her well-being was the top priority.

The girl furrowed her brow, deep in thought.

"I miss Iratxe and Carlitos," she admitted, blinking. "And I'll fall behind at school. Mom and Dad will be mad at me." She looked down at her new shoes, gently caressing them. Scarlett could sense the mix of emotions in her daughter's voice and wished she could ease her worry and uncover what she was hiding.

"Are you afraid of your parents?" Scarlett asked softly as she waited for the traffic light to change. While watching June, she noticed a strange glint in her eyes and a nervous fidget in her little body, which concerned her.

June didn't respond immediately; instead, she averted her gaze to the window while swinging her legs, as if trying to hide her thoughts.

Finally, when Scarlett parked the car, June seemed lost in her own thoughts. As the door on her side opened, she jumped in surprise, fearing someone might be looking for her.

"Oh, sweetie, it's just me," Scarlett apologized before taking June in her arms, concerned she might get lost in the bustling place.

They entered a lavish-looking building, and Scarlett made her way to the reception desk with confidence.

"June Johansson," Scarlett announced with a warm smile when the assistant asked for the patient's name, and an expression of amazement briefly passed over June's eyes.

June furrowed her brow; it wasn't the first time Scarlett had used that name to refer to her, just as she did with Rose, her other daughter.

With tenderness, Scarlett gently tapped her nose, making June laugh and forget her worries. Her eyes roamed the adjoining room, where they found a small library filled with stories and a table with chairs and coloring books.

"Can I go, Scarlett?" June asked, curiosity in her eyes.

"Of course, my little one. Have fun," Scarlett replied, giving her a kiss on the cheek before allowing June to stand up. The actress never took her eyes off her daughter for a second, afraid to blink and miss a single moment of her life.

Finally, the doctor called them, delighted to see the girl he had known since she was a baby.

"What a lovely patient you've brought me, Scarlett."

June, feeling a bit embarrassed, hid behind Scarlett, causing laughter from both the doctor and Scarlett herself. Then, Scarlett took June with her and sat down in front of the doctor, placing June on her lap to make her feel more secure.

"Well, tell me, Scarlett. How has our little patient been?" Scarlett began to express her concerns about June's limited food intake and stomach pains. She also mentioned the fatigue she noticed in her daughter when she played with her sister Rose. Then, she glanced at the little girl and paused for a moment, searching for the right words.

"I believe we'll need the specialist you recommended," Scarlett got straight to the point. She knew the doctor understood what she meant, as he had previously suggested that June should be evaluated by a psychologist in a prior conversation.

"My sister-in-law is the best; she could help you schedule an appointment with her," the doctor offered. As soon as Scarlett gave her approval, the doctor noted the information in the medical record to ensure it wasn't overlooked. Then, he turned his attention to the little girl, who regarded him with some skepticism.

On the examination table, the doctor palpated June's abdomen to identify areas of pain. He then measured her weight and height, and June already knew they'd tell her she was short. She was aware of it, as her friends outgrew her by at least two heads.

"She's underweight," the doctor commented without mentioning her height. "I can't say she's on the brink of malnutrition or diagnose her with anorexia nervosa at this moment because we don't have enough information. The last time I saw her was in 2017."

Scarlett nodded, concerned. "So, what should we do then?"

"I'd like to conduct a complete blood test and an ultrasound to assess her stomach better," the doctor said, and June's eyes widened with fear at the thought of them opening her stomach. She began shaking her head, clutching Scarlett's clothes anxiously.

"Sweetie, it will be like a video of your stomach; it won't hurt," the doctor explained with a sincere smile. Then, he turned his gaze to the mother. "My sister-in-law will likely get in touch with you to coordinate the appointment. I wouldn't have recommended her if I didn't have full confidence in her expertise."

"Thank you, I trust you," Scarlett shook the doctor's hand.

Since moving to New York with Rose, he was her reference pediatrician due to his dedication to the profession and his way with children. That's why he later took care of June until the tragedy occurred, and then Cosmo became his patient too.

"As soon as we have the results, we will proceed and evaluate if it's necessary to prescribe medication to stimulate her appetite. For now, it's crucial that she eats, even if they are small portions throughout the day," the doctor suggested, meticulously noting everything in the record. "It would be advisable to request a transfer of records; we need to retrieve the information from all those years when I couldn't follow up."

Scarlett nodded; she hadn't thought of that possibility. "I'll get in touch with my lawyer, and as soon as I have it, I'll send you the details."

"As a reward for being such a brave patient, you've earned yourself a heart-shaped lollipop," the doctor handed one to June, who accepted it with a smile and expressed her gratitude with a wide grin. However, she lost sight of her for a moment. "Is something wrong? Don't you like it?"

"I really like it, but could I have another one for Rose?" she asked timidly. Scarlett looked at her with tenderness, and the doctor, smiling, gave her another identical lollipop.

Scarlett and June said their goodbyes, and in the car, June held the two lollipops carefully. It wasn't until Rose joined them in the car that she opened her own lollipop after giving one to her sister. 

The actress couldn't have been prouder of her younger daughter's gesture toward her older sister. Rose thanked her with a kiss and savored her lollipop. When they arrived home, the girls ran to the garden to play until Scarlett made them go inside and take shelter from the approaching cold weather.

Rose and June were comfortably seated in front of the TV, captivated by the spell of the Disney Channel, while Cosmo, by their side, explored a world of doodles on a sheet Rose had provided. In the kitchen, Scarlett shared a moment with Colin as they prepared dinner and caught up on their lives.

Suddenly, a restless desire crossed Rose's mind: she wanted to change the channel to discover new cartoons. However, June was determined to continue enjoying what they were watching. The battle for the remote control turned into a fleeting showdown between the two sisters, and their hands were suspended in a tense impasse.

Just then, a breaking news report disrupted the family atmosphere. "The case of June Johansson, who went missing for six years, seems to have a happy ending. Successful actress Scarlett Johansson, the little girl's mother, issued a statement alongside her lawyers, urging restraint and respect during this delicate period of June's adjustment to her new life," the anchor reported. On the screen, Scarlett held June tenderly in her arms, and though only her profile was visible, it was enough for June to recognize herself. "However, the detectives in charge of the case have chosen to remain silent, though anonymous sources claim that arrests have been made and that the girl may have spent all these years in Europe."

June's hands released the remote control as Rose kept her eyes fixed on the TV and then on her sister. "June," she called softly, but June didn't respond. "June?" Rose insisted, shaking her slightly.

With a heart pounding with growing unease, Rose pushed her sister, who slumped onto the couch without uttering a single protest. "MOM!" she shouted, desperately seeking her mother's attention in the kitchen.

Scarlett was engaged in a peaceful conversation with Colin when she heard her daughter Rose's heart-wrenching scream. She quickly turned off the stove and rushed to the dining room, where she found Rose crying and June staring into space.

"What happened, Rose?"

"She's not talking, not saying anything!" Rose stammered. "On the news..." she tried to explain. Her mother's hands rested on her shoulders, and the girl could focus on the green eyes that offered comfort and reassurance. "The news was talking about June, and she..."

Scarlett gasped, looking at Colin before lowering her gaze to her little girl. "My little gem," she knelt to get on the same level as whatever it was that June was seeing, waving her hand in front of her daughter's eyes, but receiving no response. "June," she whispered. "Colin, call the doctor!"

She took her daughter into her arms, and although June didn't resist, she also showed no reaction. She appeared like an empty vessel, with a vacant and unfocused gaze. The only thing that prevented Scarlett from losing her mind was the relief that the girl was breathing normally.

"Darling," she stroked her cheek, "say something, cry, scream, say anything, little one."

But June remained motionless, without making a sound.

Colin returned with the phone and explained the situation to the doctor. "Scarlett, the doctor will be here soon," he informed his wife. "Does she have a fever?"

Scarlett pressed her lips to June's forehead and shook her head. "Colin, what's happening to her? What's wrong with my girl?" She looked fearfully at her husband while holding her motionless daughter in her arms.

Rose cried, looking at her mom with eyes filled with guilt. "Is it my fault?"

Colin shook his head, and Scarlett turned to her daughter Rose. "No, sweetheart, it's not anyone's fault. She'll recover, I promise you." Scarlett desperately wanted to believe it; now that she had her baby back, she couldn't afford anything bad happening to her.

"It's my fault, Mom. I wanted to change the channel to watch different cartoons, and she didn't want to. I insisted and ended up tuning into the channel you don't want us to watch by mistake," Rose covered her face as tears welled up. Scarlett, still holding June, sat on the sofa next to Rose, hugging her gently and bringing her closer to both her and her sister.

"It's not your fault, dear. Nothing that happened is your fault. Everything will be okay. Look at Mom, Rose," Scarlett spoke softly until she managed to get her daughter's eyes to meet hers. "Everything will be okay."

Colin persuaded Rose to go to the kitchen for dinner and took Cosmo with him. Meanwhile, Scarlett remained on the couch with her daughter in her arms, waiting for any kind of reaction, no matter if it was negative. She gently rocked her while singing to her, hoping for a sign that June would respond. She only stopped singing when the doorbell rang, and as soon as the doctor arrived, she practically begged with her eyes for him to help her daughter.

"She found out about the news in a very unpleasant way. I thought we would have a calm conversation in her room, show her photos, and..." Scarlett brought a hand to her face, struggling to contain her own tears.

Meanwhile, Rose disobeyed her mom and hid on the stairs, anxious to know what was happening to her sister.

The doctor took out a flashlight to check for any reaction in June's eyes, then examined her ears and took her pulse. In the end, he was met with several worried glances directed at him.

"Could you move a little, sweetheart, and I'll give you one more lollipop," the doctor tried. With no response, he looked at Scarlett.

"What's happening to my daughter?"

"She has just gone through a very stressful experience. She's just a little child. She's in a state of catatonia."

"I know the word can be scary, but childhood stress-related catatonia is a response to a traumatic event and, in most cases, it's a temporary symptom. I'll speak with my sister-in-law to try and arrange an appointment, hopefully we can do it tomorrow or the day after, and it's best that it's here for the initial sessions."

"What can I do?" Scarlett asked, visibly affected.

"Providing her with a safe and secure environment would be most appropriate. For a few days, avoid taking her out into busy streets and let her stay at home. Give her, darling, comforting family moments and keep an eye on her at all times. This, along with psychological support and my monitoring, will improve her condition. Her mind right now doesn't know how to deal with the news and has shut down."

Colin accompanied the doctor to the door, while Scarlett picked up June and cradled her again, looking into her seemingly lost eyes. "My girl, everything will be alright because mommy is here," she kissed her nose. "Colin, I'll sleep with her tonight."

"I understand. Do you need help carrying her or anything else?"

"If you could bring my pajamas to her room, I'd appreciate it. In the meantime, I'll go change her," Scarlett replied, encountering Rose, who ran to avoid being scolded, though she was a bit late. "Rose."

"Mom, June will get better, right?"

"Yes, sweetheart. We'll be with her, and she'll get better. Also, would you like to stay with her tomorrow watching cartoons? You could also read her that story you love so much, the one about the fish with beautiful colors."

Rose was filled with joy at the thought of how she could help her sister recover. "Yes!" She kissed her mother and her sister, then ran to her room, excited about the activities they would do together to help June get well.

Shortly after, Scarlett settled in bed, embracing June. Tenderly, she placed the dancing rat between her daughter's little hands, just as she had done so many times before when she saw her asleep, clutching her favorite stuffed animal.

"Shh, my sweet girl, sleep. Mom will be here, watching over your dreams," she whispered lovingly as she gently closed June's eyelids to help her fall asleep. The soft lullaby she sang filled the room like a gentle caress in the air, and little by little, June's breathing became more rhythmic, like a soothing lullaby that cradled her into a peaceful slumber.

Surprise! 🎉 I've found the time to update both stories. 😊 I hope you enjoy the read, as they've taken an unexpected turn! If you've liked it, please let me know with at least a little star. ❤️ As I always say, remember to take care of yourself and love yourself a lot. 😘

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

59.3K 1.2K 48
Marlena is a young girl who had to raise a brother she will go thru pain,heart ache, injuries,and trauma to find her happy ending
199K 5.3K 56
Given away, neglected and then taken back. Sawyers's life takes a one-eighty when she goes from living on the streets to living with one of Hollywood...
63.4K 1.4K 35
Georgia Banks is a 14 year old girl that runs away from her foster house, she doesn't know where she is gonna end up but somehow she manages to find...
4.9M 222 1
This book moved to my other account @PaisleyViking Top Ten in Werewolf Category in 2013 and 2014. I smelled them as soon as I had walked out of the...