Forbidden Fruit

By TalexRewrites

Fruit Series Book #2: Forbidden Fruit It's been almost two years since things have settled in the Autumn Fal... More

Hello, Lovelies!
Characters & Maps
Chapter 1: Working & Information
Chapter 2: Routines & Meetings
Chapter 3: Laziness & Information
Chapter 4: Clubs & Coincidences
Chapter 5: Freakouts & Stubborness
Chapter 6: Heartbreak & Redemption
Chapter 7: Admissions & Secrets
Chapter 8: Check-Ins & Doubts
Chapter 9: Apprehensions & Impressions
Chapter 10: Surprise & Uncertainty
Chapter 11: Distrust & Half Truths

Chapters 12: Pasts & Curiosities

37 3 1
By TalexRewrites

Alex's Dad- Former Beta Johnathan

Alex's POV

"What do you mean?" His words are fragile, as if someone might snatch them and break them against the ground into nothing. Like he almost didn't say anything at all.

But my ears are able to catch the quiet words, and even expecting them, I flinch as the memories and the frustration that I've tried my best to forget and forgive, bubbles towards the surface. "My parents died seven years ago right before my fifteenth birthday. My sister left not too long after that." I'm able to answer, but tears are already stinging my eyes and my teeth grind crushingly against one another, pain tearing in my chest from the inside out.

But he continues, unaware of the scabs that have only begun to heal over, being stabbed and destroyed, leaving the wound fresh once more and worse off than it was. "Died? Or were killed?" His words are like ice carved daggers piercing my chest, embedding into my lungs, stealing the air from my soul. He unwittingly unlocks a closet full of skeletons and locked away fury, desperate to get free.

Though Tobias is silent, I can feel every ounce of fury, distrust and resentment that we do our best to keep to ourselves.

It is our vendetta, after all.

Not even James knows the details, only Briana, my little sister by a little over two years, truly knows what happened to our family that day.

A part of me isn't sure I should tell Chloe, unsure that he won't use the information against me or just laugh in my face.

'You're being bitter and projecting. You felt rejected, I get it. But you weren't and you have a second chance. Stop sabotaging it.' Tobias growls at me, getting fed up with my stubbornness. 'If we want him to trust us at all or feel comfortable sharing then we have to give up some things, too.' He reminds me.

"Fine." I sigh out loud, wanting Toby off of my case but also realizing that I can use this to my benefit as well. "I'll answer your questions. But you have to answer mine, too. No lying allowed." Is my only rule, not that I expect Chloe to be all the way forthcoming about the years he spent turning into the person he is today. I remember that Incubi and Warlocks both can live well beyond their fourth century, so I would imagine, that Chloe has seen and felt things in those years, that would overwhelm any lifetime. Even still, I want any information I am allowed to have and to hold, to be authentic and true to the soul that I find myself bound to.

He narrows his eyes and his tail shakes in annoyance but he concedes, settling himself further into the chair, legs crossed.

He lifts a hand and gestures for me to continue as he wraps his delicate arms around himself, as if trying to protect himself from something. Recognizing the procrastination within myself, I feel myself take a deep breath before finally allowing myself, after all these years, to finally truly revisit and think about what happened all those years ago.

"They were killed. And the murderer walks free to this very day." I admit as calmly as I can, closing my eyes against the assault of memories that rise from within. I ignore the way my voice shakes, knowing that there no point in postponing the inevitable. Chloe was going to hear some version of the truth eventually. I would rather he would hear the truth from me. Even still, I feel like my mouth is full of glue when I go to continue, my words dense and sticking to my throat as I speak. "Just like me, my father was the Beta of the Autumn Falls pack. He met my mother the same year he his father passed on the mantle to him, at twenty four, and together they started to raise a family and working with the Alpha Richard and Head Warrior Elijah at the time to keep our region safe. When I was about seven years old, my parents came back from a mission one night with Briana, my sister clinging to my mother crying her heart out. They said that she was going to be apart of our family now because at only four, she had lost everything, and was no longer safe. From then on, you could say I had the perfect childhood. The ones they talk about in fairytales. Except, in this story, my parents were Beta and Lune first and foremost, they had a duty to their people and ultimately, it's what lead to their death in the end." I reach my limit, my words no longer understandable through my tears that leak from my eyes and fall against my cheeks, a solitary reminder of all the pain that day brought. "What about you?" I manage to get out, and at first Chloe doesn't answer, just stares at me with that maddening unreadable expression of his.

I can never seem to know what he's thinking.

Even now, with his head tilted slightly, his ears perked up, catching every word, his eyes curious but unreadable.

But finally he answers, though I can tell he chooses his words carefully, unconvinced that he can freely share such precious information, I'm sure. "As I said before I am a Hybrid and I grew up bouncing between Vilin, the Capital and Revelia. I'm an only child. My parents are sadly both still very much alive." He shares, giving me the same information I gave him, though he definitely spared the details, keeping his cards close to his chest.

I can imagine the type of pain and cruelty someone has to endure and go through to get to that level of distrust and fear. I've seen it for myself, the bitterness and hatred that seems to consume people and dictate every idea or action they have. It's a terrifying existence but one that is truly our reality. Something I've been trying to hide from for ages, but ignorance is getting harder and harder to feign, and after much more, I will be forced to deal with the idea that life as I know it isn't as simple as the word always made it out to be.

Something has been on the horizon for years, it seems, and I have a feeling that change is coming.

Quickly.

It is coming and stopping for no one, and a feeling deep in my gut tells me that this man that sits with me in awkward silence trying to figure out how our lives will intertwine from here, is meant to be here, with me, in this moment. Like we've been here a thousand times before and will a thousand more.

"You've been around." Is my response, thinking of the places he mentioned. Vilin and Revelia are just about as opposite as you can get, outside of Indrid of Ameden. I feel my curiosity rise again, but he stops me with a mischievous look that tells me that it's his turn to ask the questions.

"How did your parents die? And where did your sister go? You said she's younger but that she left after they died, what gives?" He asks with a cocked brow, and I can't hold back an amused chuckle, beyond thrilled that my Mate actually seems interested in learning more about me, though I try not to let the thoughts and feeling go to my head.

There's a pause in the air, and for a moment I hesitate, unwilling then say the words I know to be true. I've voiced the words once and I was told to never repeat them again.

But this is my Soulmate.

And I refuse to lie to him.

Even if it costs me everything, because at this point, without him, there's nothing left, so it's not like it matters.

"Seven years ago, my parents were killed by Vilin Officers after refusing to back down from their accusations. This was the second set of parents my sister had lost. Staying here was too much to bare. For her sixteenth birthday the only thing she asked for was to leave. How could I den my baby sister her only wish." I admit keep it has short and simple as possible, the familiar feeling of rage and devastation wash over me, killing me softly and without mercy.

Surprise, and then understanding comes across Chloe's face and I realize with a jolt, that he believes me. No argument, no questioningy validity, I only see pure sympathy in those warm eyes of his and it almost enough to make my smile, my lips twitching softly to myself.

"I'm sure it had something to do with their treatment of humans and Nightlies, and some documentation of their corrupt leaders participating in illegal schemes and plans. And in that case, I'll say 'bravo' to your parents. There's very few people in this nation who are willing to put their lives on the line to stand up for what's right. And it doesn't shock me at all to hear that their killers are still out there. I think I remember hearing about that. It was tragic. I'm sorry for your loss." Chloe says, sharing the most amount of words with me since he got here. But the joy is short lived as the other emotions rise up to pull me under and drown me within a pit of sorrow.

"They were heroes. But according to the reports and Vilin officials, they were nothing more than demanding tyrants that tried to 'stop the force of justice from protecting and caring for their people.' I could have accepted them saving face to the public, but they couldn't even look me in the eye and apologize for my lose or say my parents were good soldiers. Because they were. They didn't follow orders, they served the people, and I believe that's how every leader, how every government should be. Though Vilin is not exactly one to back down." I mutter, and a part of me is screaming to shut up and not share such incriminating thoughts with a border line stranger, but it's too late. These thoughts have been slamming around my heart and skull the moment the shitty bastards told me they couldn't even bother to pay for my parents' funeral. And now they're finally getting out. I don't give a fuck anymore what happens, something needs to change in my life, and now I have nothing to lose. I will tell it and risk it all with Chloe, and while I can't explain it, something in my gut is telling me that it will be okay and it trust my gut.

"And you?" I finally get out. "What happened to your family?"

"What family?" He scoffs with disgust, telling me just how deep these scars go, and though he's silent for a few moments, he eventually goes to answer, voice strained. "My father was a Warlock who believed that assimilating into Divine Society was the only way for Nightlies to get accepted and fairly treated. So he did all he could to drill into me that I should hide being an Incubus and do my best to make the Divine Children like me so my life could be better. Eventually I couldn't stand the contempt and unhappiness anymore. I just ran with the clothes on my body and a few special belongings I couldn't leave behind. That was when I was about one hundred and fifty years old. I'm five hundred and some change." The information is full of holes and missing some interesting pieces but even still, I can head the pain and the hate the Incubus has been forced to endure and carry.

We go back and forth like this for a while, leaking arbitrary things like favorite colors and life growing up, but there's still this barrier between us that I can't seem to shake, and Tobias is getting more and more anxious.

'Does he know that you have a wolf? Is that something he's even open to? What if he hates me?' He worries, and while usually I would tease him for all his fussing, I find myself within those same shoes, unease shooting through me at the fear of Chloe being unable to accept and love the part of my soul that actually makes me a wolf. Calling myself skeptical would imply that I don't have faith in Chloe, and that wouldn't be accurate. It would be better to say that I'm worried that something so normal to me might send our foxy lover running for the hills.

But before I can even say anything, there he is, bringing it up himself, his head titled in curiosity as I watch him study me from head to toe.

"You're a werewolf so I'm assuming that you have a wolf within. Will I ever get to meet him?" He asks casually with a raise brow catching me off guard.

I have a feeling that whether friends or lovers, Chloe is able to keep anyone on their toes, and despite first impressions and how we managed to meet, I find myself enjoying this weird moment I find the two of us sharing. As the sun star to slowly set in the sky, I answer Chloe's questions about Tobias, praying to Celeste that he gives me a fair chance and that my dreams are ready to be given up on just yet.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay, another chapter done, so I have two for the day but goddamn it I'm so tired. As long as I can do one more chapter today I guess I'll be happy but I would rather do two more. But anyways, I might rewrite lately i don't know about the ending. What do you think guys?

Thoughts?

Comments?

QOTD: Do you have an air fryer?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 35.4K 47
When young Diovanna is framed for something she didn't do and is sent off to a "boarding school" she feels abandoned and betrayed. But one thing was...
3M 115K 32
"Stop trying to act like my fiancée because I don't give a damn about you!" His words echoed through the room breaking my remaining hopes - Alizeh (...
856K 27.7K 69
"Real lifeမှာ စကေးကြမ်းလွန်းတဲ့ စနိုက်ကြော်ဆိုတာမရှိဘူး ပျော်ဝင်သွားတဲ့ယောကျာ်းဆိုတာပဲရှိတယ်" "ခေါင်းလေးပဲညိတ်ပေး Bae မင်းငြီးငွေ့ရလောက်အောင်အထိ ငါချ...
291K 33.5K 84
#Book-2 of Hidden Marriage Series. 🔥❤️ This book is the continuation/sequel of the first book "Hidden Marriage - Amazing Husband." If you guys have...