Trails of intertwined stars:...

By Hikari_Michaelis

"..., It's okay to cry. Just know that I love you. I love you more than anyone I've ever known." More

~Prologue~
~Chapter 1: The Oiwa's~
~Chapter 2: Smells like Someone Else's Room~
~Chapter 3: The Marsh House~
~Chapter 4: A Sketch~
~Chapter 5: The Festival~
~Chapter 6: The Girl in the Blue Nightgown~
~Chapter 8: A House Party~
~Chapter 9: Hisako~
~Chapter 10: Sayaka~
~Chapter 11: It's Like we Traded Places~
~Chapter 12: The Silo~
~Chapter 13: A Final Wish~
~Chapter 14: Hisako's Story~
~Chapter 15: A Goodbye~

~Chapter 7: A Boat Picnic~

11 1 0
By Hikari_Michaelis

Zero and Tokumei walked back to the Oiwa's home glumly that night, their outfits a mess. Zero grimaced looking at the mud stains on their son's old yukata, he wasn't lying if he said he felt bad. He neared the door of the home, prepared to explain for both him and Tokumei. He stopped suddenly, hearing an out of place voice.
"It was awful! She came home crying her eyes out!"
"Did Zero do something wrong?"
Zero and Tokumei quietly slunk away to hide away from the door, but still in earshot.
"He called my daughter a fat pig!"
Setsu stared at Ms Kadoya, slightly confused," A fat pig?"
"And he pulled out a knife, too! The horror!"
"I'd doubt he'd--"
"No! You need to hear it from him, himself! Now bring him here, immediately!"
Kiyomasa walked into the hallway," Seems he's not home yet."
"He's a delinquent, out and about this late! You two are at fault too! Better keep an eye on him!"
She stormed out, slamming the door, Setsu rolled her eyes slightly.
Zero ducked behind the wall, Ms Kadoya storming down the path. Setsu burst out of the door quickly, a light in hand.
"Take this, it's dark!"
"No, thank you!" Ms Kadoya scoffed, storming away, mumbling to herself.

Setsu scoffed, Kiyomasa watched the woman storm off from the doorway, with crossed arms and a smile.
"So what if he's a bit late," Setsu flared her nostrils, storming in the home.
"Don't get so riled up," Kiyomasa hummed.
"He is not a delinquent."
Zero miserably walked out into the path, his expression filled with guilt as Setsu went to close the door. Before the woman could, Kiyomasa gasped, noticing.
"Ah, he's home."
Setsu gasped, rushing out swiftly, running over to Zero.
"Zero!"
"Ms Oiwa..."
"Were you listening?" Setsu hummed, smiling warmly as she placed a hand around his back," Don't you worry."
Tokumei followed behind, smiling softly as Setsu pulled Zero in.
"You and Nobuko will make up in no time, there's no rush."
Kiyomasa smiled," Now, take a bath and have dinner."
Zero nodded, with a small grateful smile. Kiyomasa glanced down at the yukata, raising an eyebrow.
"Or is it dinner before the bath?"
"It hardly matters," Setsu frowned," But 'fat pig' is a bit harsh."
Both Kiyomasa and Tokumei burst into laughter.
Kiyomasa shut the door, wiping a tear away," That's for sure!"
"It's not that funny," Setsu scolded.

The next day, the sun was hot and seemed to push on forever. It was midday, the yukata's left outside to dry. Zero sat on the bed, looking at a response from Hikari, his sketchbook leaning on his legs, propped up. He sighed, passing the letter to Tokumei to read; since he seemed to appreciate hearing how Hikari spoke more fluently. Zero turned to look down at his lap, the drawings he'd done overnight of the mysterious girl on the page. It was the best replica he could do from memory, and he'd tried to capture the mystery that lingered with her, but that was hard to convey. Just who was she? Zero looked up at the clock, ticking on the wall of room. 3:05pm. Two hours until high tide. He glanced back down at the drawing, staring at the girl's face.

The sun was much lower and the heat had cooled down, so Zero and Tokumei ran to the beach, hoping to find the girl again. They walked through the long grass to where the boat once was, frowning to see there was no boat there. It couldn't have been a dream as well, right? Their panic was interrupted by the noise of oars. A boat approached, a familiar blonde figure rowing over. This time, the girl wore a gorgeous green dress, with brown boots and white tights; her hair clipped back slightly. She glanced back, smiling warmly at them. Relief seemed to wash over both Tokumei and Zero. Zero walked into the shallows, not bothering to take off his shoes and socks, helping lead the boat to a gentle landing. He looked at the girl, smiling softly.
"Hop in," She giggled, pointing at the basket by her feet," I got a picnic! I brought juice and biscuits."
Zero and Tokumei climbed in, the boy's gaze seemed to flicker at the words 'biscuits'.
"A picnic? At this hour?" Zero chuckled.
"Why not?" The girl smiled," Let's go to the far side of the cove."
She rowed out, glancing behind her as she steered in. Zero smiled.
"You are much better than me at rowing."
The girl stopped, turning to look at him, setting the oars in a safe spot.
"Anyone can do it. Let me show you. Come sit with me."
Zero gasped, standing up and going to the spot the girl had sat.

Tokumei watched with a smile, watching as the girl led his hands to the oars. As he pushed them, she guided his movements, smiling as she peered over his shoulder.
"You're doing fine," She reassured," Don't worry."
Her stomach was pressed against his back as she gently led each movement, she glanced over at Tokumei smiling.
"Remember how I said last night that you both were my precious secret?"
Tokumei nodded," I remember. And I love that you're my secret."
"I'm glad."
The girl swiftly let go of the oars, backing off with a giggle, watching Zero gasp in fear.
"Wait! No! You let go!"
The girl snickered, Zero desperately trying to oar the way she taught him. The girl watched, smiling proudly.
"Good, very good," She hummed, happily.
"You know, you still haven't told us your name," Zero frowned.
The girl stood up suddenly, turning her back to them both.
"That's odd," She frowned," I thought you already knew?"
She walked over to the end of the boat, standing on a seat, staring out into the sea as Zero stopped rowing. She turned around to face them both, her face radiating in the sunset.
"Marnie! That's my name, don't wear it out!" Marnie giggled.
"Please be careful!" Tokumei gasped, watching the girl stand so unfazed.
Marnie smiled, stepping onto the ledge of the boat, not even her heels of her boots touching the floor. She held out her arms, smiling as she stared out at the mansion.
"Go ahead, just row."
Zero gasped, unsure, before gently rowing as Marnie stood there; like a spectacle in the light.

Marnie pulled the boat onto land, tying it to a post as she smiled at Zero and Tokumei.
"There's all sorts of things I want to know about you two. But, I don't wish to find out too fast. Let's take it slow as we go along."
They sat in the boat, as Marnie screwed on a lantern, setting the picnic bag on the seat-table.
"I'll tell you what we'll do," She giggled," We'll ask each other three questions a night. What do you say to that?"
"Sounds good," Zero nodded.
Marnie opened the picnic basket, setting down a glass bottle of purple juice," My first question, what brings you both to our little village and how long do you plan on staying?"
Tokumei glanced at the floor," I was sent here to be fostered by a couple, but I didn't get to be adopted by them. I also have asthma, so I was told to stay somewhere with clean air for a while."
Marnie frowned sadly," Oh no, you're ill?"
Tokumei shook his head," Don't worry, I'm fine, honestly. But I wanted company, so I invited Zero to stay with me."
Zero frowned, that did make more sense.
"So how is it you live in that mansion?" Zero asked.
"I've lived there since I was two years old, my family are originally from another world, though apparently my grandmother is from this one. I live with nan and the maids. Here, juice!"
Zero took the juice," What about your mother and father? Where are they?"
"They can only come sometimes. They're very busy with work, especially dad."
Zero nodded.

Marnie hummed, bouncing out of the boat and running to a run down shed with the lantern, Tokumei and Zero chased after her.
"How many siblings do you have?" Tokumei asked.
"None!" Marnie giggled, pushing open a window, coughing from the dust," I'm an only child!"
"I see," Tokumei hummed," You too."
"Why do you ask?" Marnie giggled.
"Don't you ever wonder what it would be like?"
Marnie walked out, staring at the sea," I do. It's fun to imagine that."
She spun around, looking at Zero," My last question! What's it like living at the Oiwa's?"
Zero's smile faded into a small frown.
"The Oiwa's?"
He stared at Marnie and Tokumei as they smiled at him, awaiting an answer. Everything was going fuzzier as Zero tried to remember.
"Huh...how strange..." Zero muttered," I can't...quite remember..."
It was a warm, homemade home. Filled with nature in every corner. Cluttered yet neat. Setsu sat at the sofa, eating crisps happily as Kiyomasa carved his owl sculpture. Zero frowned, opening his eyes.

He woke in the boat, sat down, alone in the night. No Tokumei. No Marnie. He stood up gasping. He looked around desperately, hoping that it wasn't all a dream.
"ZERO!"
Both of them came running over, Tokumei looking slightly more distraught.
"There you are!" Zero gasped, clambering out of the boat," Where did you go?"
Tokumei grabbed him, hugging into him, digging his head into the entity's chest as he sobbed. Marnie watched, sadly.
"Tokumei?" Zero mumbled.
"You suddenly disappeared and we were looking for you everywhere..."
Zero frowned," But I didn't go anywhere! I was just thinking about the answer to the question! Wait...what was it?"
Marnie giggled," It's okay. It doesn't matter. I really should get going home, because tonight--. Hey! I have an idea! My parents are having a part, you should come!"
Tokumei gasped, shaking his head," No, no, no, no! I really can't! Parties just really aren't my thing!"
"Don't worry!" Marnie hummed," I have another great idea."
She plucked a small purple flower from the floor, tucking it behind Tokumei's ear. Both frowned, confused.
"Perfect!" Marnie giggled.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

942 25 12
Izuku was always happy and full of joy, showing a bright smile to everyone, although.. it was far from the truth. [Read to find out everything!] [Tr...
62.4K 2.1K 34
I never wanted to lose to anybody and I never experienced it until I met you. You told me that you are absolute. I didn't believe it until I tasted d...
52.8K 2.1K 18
(Complete but currently editing) He knew that he loved him, but he didn't know how to say it. He'd fallen for him but never confessed. If only he cou...
40.9K 1.8K 25
"i still love you, even if you're not human." what if someone you thought wasn't actually who you thought he was? what if he was more than what you a...