The Queen in the North

By BubblyYork

The War of the Five Kings is over. Now the hard work begins in restoring Westeros to full strength before the... More

Summary
Chapter One: Preparations
Chapter Two: Leaving Winterfell
Chapter Three: Discussions
Chapter Four: Negotiations
Chapter Five: Lord Daeron Targaryen
Chapter Six: The Targaryen-Velaryon Alliance
Chapter Seven: The Greyjoy Civil War
Chapter Eight: The Targaryen Wedding
Chapter Nine: Strengthened Alliance
Chapter Ten: The Iron Islands
Chapter Eleven: Destiny and Fortune
Chapter Thirteen: The Queen across the Sea

Chapter Twelve: Lady Sylvina Baratheon

360 18 9
By BubblyYork

It had been news that they had known was coming, shortly after returning to Winterfell after doing treaties with Yara and the execution of Arlenna the news that Sylvina Baratheon had taken a turn for the worst. 

Her Maester did not think she had much longer to live, her health rapidly declining and she had taken to her bed; she had refused to get up and had called for her confessor to give her the last rites. 

The halls of Beckton were already dressed in mourning and her ladies wept for their mistress, no one could have expected that she would decline so quickly that they had not seen it coming. 

Lady Ceria Caswell had travelled from her marital home, she had been by her mother's side since the news had reached her; she couldn't believe that she was about to become an orphan. 

It meant that she was the last of her family, her father and older brother had already died and she had kept a distance from her niece and nephews because she hadn't coped very well with the news that she would never have children of her own. 

Ceria watched as her mother lay in her bed, her breathing laboured as she slept and she felt tears burn her eyes as she pondered everything that she had missed. 

Her husband had always been loving and tender, he had understood her grief at them never having children and now he helped her run her mother's lands that would soon be her own. 

The doors to the chamber opened and Ceria pursed her lips as she saw Sanira enter the room, the younger woman moved to greet her aunt who dropped into a stiff curtsy. 

"Your Grace," Ceria murmured, her husband had been quick to declare his loyalty for House Stark when Robb had been made king; he had expressed his excitement knowing that as aunt and uncle to the new Queen that they would benefit from that in some way. 

Dovan had been granted some royal warrants in recent months, his House were known for their horses and they now provided horses to House Stark.

Dovan had even gifted some ponies to the young princes for them to learn to ride, he was pleased that his gifts were warmly welcomed and hoped to be invited to court soon. 

That was Ceria's worst nightmare, she had not been close with her niece or her nephews and serving in Sanira's court at her behest was not something that she wanted; Ceria was too proud for that. 

"Sanira," Sylvina called reaching out, a smile upon her face as she looked at her only granddaughter who was quick to move to her side; Ceria couldn't hide the look of jealously on her face. 

To her it was another sign of Rolan's family being favoured over her, it sucked to see her mother find everything that she was looking for in her granddaughter rather than her own daughter and to watch Sylvina share their heritage with Sanira.

"Grandmother," Sanira whispered, she sat down on the bed beside her grandmother who was prompted up by pillows; it was strange to see the once strong Sylvina in such a way. 

It seemed like not too long ago that Sanira had been learning of her heritage from her grandmother, who had been eager to see their heritage passed on while she had the chance. 

"Perhaps I should fetch the Maester," Sanira encouraged, she didn't like to see her grandmother suffer like this; she felt like she still had so much to learn and she didn't feel ready to do so alone. 

Her grandmother had always been so kind and caring, a stark contrast to the woman that her mother had been; the execution of Arlenna was still fresh in Sanira's mind. 

"There's nothing for a Maester to see and, thank Gods, nothing that some fool with a knife could think to cut out," Sylvina informed, she looked at Sanira knowing that there was nothing for her now. 

The last thing that she wanted was to be poked and prodded by some foolish man in her last days, she had lived a good life and she knew that her time was coming. 

"My heart. It's beating strangely. I feel it skip a beat and then go slow. It won't beat strongly again, Sanira," Sylvina explained, her breathing laboured as she looked past Sanira to Ceria who watched them with a cold look on her face. 

It was hard to explain, hard to express what was going on in her mind; she had so much that she had to share, now her time was short and she doubted she would last more than a couple of days. 

"Are you in any pain?" Sanira asked, she moved to fix the covers on her grandmother not wishing to upset her further than necessary; her grandmother sounded so certain of her fate that it left no room for any argument. 

Ceria moved away from the scene before her, moving to speak with the ladies that had served her mother; soon they would be her household and there would be changes to Beckton that would have to make. 

"No. There's no pain for me except in knowing yours," Sylvina said quietly so that her words could not be overheard, she didn't broadcast her seeings anymore than Sanira did. 

Sylvina reached for Sanira's arm, she knew that she would not get to see the world that Sanira would usher in; she would not get to comfort her when things looked bad nor celebrate her wins. 

"You will have another boy. Of that I am sure, not this one nor the next and what a boy he will be! I'm sure of that, too," Sylvina mused resting her hand on Sanira's bump, she was most certain that the child that Sanira was carrying would be a daughter. 

As would the next child that Sanira and Robb would have, two beautiful daughters that would take after their mother that Sylvina was sure. 

"Then get well and stay with me. You've been with me through everything. Everything. I would not be here without you. None of us would be here without you," Sanira pleaded, tears in her eyes knowing that she could not do this without her; they would have lost at the Twins to House Frey if it hadn't been for Sylvina. 

It had been Sylvina's intervention that had seen the alliance begin with her speaking to her nephew to get him to come to the Starks aid at the Twins. 

"And yet, here you are. And through you and your children, I will have founded a line of kings. And queens, too, I think," Sylvina mused with a tired smile, her work was done and Sanira was stronger than she thought.

The future was clear to her, the line would continue into the future and they would be stronger than ever if everything that she saw came to pass. 

"I'm not ready," Sanira murmured, she needed her guidance and support, she wasn't ready to say her goodbyes and she wished that there was something that she could do to make her grandmother better. 

Sylvina patted Sanira's hand, no one was ever ready to say goodbye but it would not be goodbye forever and they would see each other again. 

***

"It is my will and intention that my lands and titles should be inherited by Prince Osric," Sylvina declared, she ignored the look of outrage from her daughter at the news that Beckton would be inherited by Sanira's second son. 

Her rightful inheritance ripped from under her to be given to the princeling that was only just a year old now; it would be many years before he was old enough to rule the lands in his own right. 

The room was filled with Sylvina's family, she had wanted to be surrounded by her nearest and dearest in her final moments; she was grey and looked ill against the whiteness of her pillows. 

Arthur and Elayne had arrived from Aeredale with their two sons, Coren and Deston II while Deston had come with the Baratheons who had travelled to pay their respects to Sylvina as Stannis was her last remaining nephew. 

Ceria and her husband lingered away from the others, keeping their distance as Sylvina's ladies wept openly for their mistress. 

Looking around the room, Sylvina couldn't help but smile at how blessed she was and she knew without a doubt that all would be well; the alliance was strong and would survive passed her death. 

The North and South would need each other, the Dragon Queen was coming and they needed to be prepared; the Long Night was upon them and they would need the strength to survive. 

Sylvina's wheezed as she leaned back in her bed, she was ready to be reunited with Ronard and Rolan; she was eager to see her parents and brother again after so very long. 

In the corner of the room, Sylvina could see her mother Princess Rhaelle Targaryen waiting for her; a proud smile on her face as she stared at her only daughter. 

Sylvina suddenly gasped, her hand latching on to Sanira's and a look of panic filled her face as the Goddess blessed Sylvina Baratheon with one final vision. 

"Gold and white," the final words passing Sylvina's lips as a breath before she slipped away, her eyes staring unseeing at Sanira who bowed her head unaware of how important Sylvina Baratheon's words would be. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 38.7K 115
In which Annalys Baratheon is arranged to marry Robb Stark and when her 'father' dies, she is forced to side with the North in the Five War of the Ki...
244K 6.6K 40
❝the challinders, a family once thought to run the world is now the family that must run from the world.❞ [season 3 - 8]
3.9K 157 33
Far into the North and deep within the wolfswood forests, surrounded by strong ironwood trees lies Ironwrath. The proud and ancient seat of House For...
307K 10.4K 27
❝ I WOULDN'T PLAY WITH FIRE ,IF I WERE YOU. ICE MELTS FAST THESE DAYS. ❞ [ GAME OF THRONES AU ] [ AEGON'S CONQUEST ] [ AEGON TARGARYEN X OC ] [ Ⓒ win...