The Queen in the North

By BubblyYork

The War of the Five Kings is over. Now the hard work begins in restoring Westeros to full strength before the... More

Summary
Chapter One: Preparations
Chapter Two: Leaving Winterfell
Chapter Three: Discussions
Chapter Four: Negotiations
Chapter Five: Lord Daeron Targaryen
Chapter Six: The Targaryen-Velaryon Alliance
Chapter Seven: The Greyjoy Civil War
Chapter Eight: The Targaryen Wedding
Chapter Nine: Strengthened Alliance
Chapter Ten: The Iron Islands
Chapter Twelve: Lady Sylvina Baratheon
Chapter Thirteen: The Queen across the Sea

Chapter Eleven: Destiny and Fortune

249 18 7
By BubblyYork

Arlenna Lannister daughter of Tytos Lannister and Jayne Marbrand, sister of Tywin, Kevan, Genna and Gerion Lannister, widow of Rolan Tremaine, wife of Euron Greyjoy and mother to Arthur, Sanira and Destone Tremaine had been sentenced to death. 

Her trial had been swift despite the fact that she had refused to recognise the judges authority on the matter; she hadn't even come to court to offer her defence nor hear the verdict when it had been given. 

Instead, Arlenna had stayed in her cell where she had been kept since she had been imprisoned; ladies loyal to House Stark had been put in place to keep tabs on her. 

Every word that Arlenna had spoken had been reported back, her rants about how she would avenge her fallen house, her deranged whispers about how the Gods would not allow it to rain until she was released from her prison. 

Arlenna had been treated well given her station, there was no one that could say that she had been left to rot in the cells especially given her acts of treason against House Stark. 

The evening before she had dined upon the finest of goose, she had drank wines that she had brought with her to Pyke. 

Her confessor had been in that morning to speak with her, she had spoken her truth and she prayed that the Gods would be kind to her; Arlenna still had hoped that she would be exiled for her actions. 

The ladies around her did not speak, for the most part they were here to keep her comfortable and the days dragged on as she awaited her execution. 

Staring out of the window of her cell, Arlenna couldn't help but ponder the life that she had lived and the future that she might have had if she'd not been married to Rolan Tremaine. 

Arlenna always felt that she had been wasted on such a match, she should have been married to a great lord who would have afforded her the greatest luxury in life. 

The door to her cell opened and Arlenna turned away from the window, she was dressed in Lannister red; she was born a Lannister and she would die as one. 

"Madam, the hour approaches. You must make ready," Ser Rodrik stated with a grim look on his face, it had been he that had been charged with looking over Arlenna's care since her imprisonment. 

Arlenna stood from her seat, she clasped her arms before her and her lips pursed as she watched the man that had been her jailer since this mess had started.

It had been Rodrik that had brought her the news that she was a widow once more, that Euron had died on the battlefield when he had mounted his final stand against his niece who had brought the Northern army with her. 

"Acquit yourself of your charge, for I have been long prepared," Arlenna instructed, she was ready to die and had lived a life that she did not regret any of her actions. 

A part of her still didn't believe that this would happen, that at the last moment Sanira would step in to stop her mother being executed; she would be sent to Braavos in disgrace where she could plot her revenge. 

"The Queen asks that you take this purse. It has 20 pounds in it to pay the headsman for his services," Ser Rodrik stated knowing that everything had been arranged, it had been a long time coming but Arlenna would pay for her crimes against the crown. 

How many people had lost their lives because of what she had done, the lives that had been destroyed because she had poisoned her first husband and refused to aid the Northern army in it's time of need. 

Arlenna took the purse feeling the weight of the coins inside, perhaps this was the money that she would be used to pay her way to Braavos.

Arlenna and the ladies followed Ser Rodrik out of the cell, they were followed along the way; the halls were quiet as they walked from the cells and out into the courtyard. 

Arlenna paused as she stepped out under the grey skies, the courtyard was empty apart from the platform that had been erected in the centre where the executor stood. 

"Aroyal execution. Sanira grants me thisdignity at least," Arlenna stated humourlessly, she was surprised to find that there was no audience for her execution; her hopes rising that they would instead banish her and instead execute some peasant. 

Surely if there was no witnesses then this was her chance to flee, that Sanira would not go through with ordering her own mother's execution afterall and bringing bad luck upon her family. 

Arlenna and her ladies made their way over to the execution platform, her ladies sticking close to her as Arlenna climbed the steps and made her way towards the masked executioner that was waiting for her with his assistant. 

There was a chill in the air, winter creeping up on them quicker with each passing day and Arlenna paused in the middle of the platform for a moment before her ladies stepped forward to take her fur-lined red cloak from her. 

Arlenna tried to keep her hands from shaking as she stared at the executor, she held the coin purse tightly in her hands as she looked around waiting for some sign that she would be released. 

It was then that Arlenna saw Sanira, dressed in black with a black cloak around her; her head covered as she stood away from the platform. 

Robb had tried to talk her out of watching, that she didn't need to do this but Sanira had insisted saying that she needed to see this to the end; if she was going to sign her mother's death warrant then she had to watch the deed being done. 

The mother and daughter stared at one another, neither saying a word while everything that had transpired crossed their minds only thinking of the others faults and betrayals. 

Arlenna then realised that this was happening, that there would be no last minute reprieve and Sanira wouldn't allow her to escape to Braavos like she had thought she would. 

Nodding her head, fixing her hair as she moved towards the executioner and handed him his fee; she moved to the centre of the platform again and held her head high. 

Sanira tried to look away, the guilt of what she was about to do bubbling in her stomach but for the sake of her children and their safety, there was nothing that Sanira wouldn't do for them. 

Karlon, Osric and her unborn child, they were her future one that her mother threatened just by living; for that reason she had affixed her signature to the execution warrant. 

"Don't close your eyes," Arlenna said staring at Sanira, there was no hesitation in her movements as she got down on her knees; she clasped her hands in front of her, her eyes locked with Sanira's hoping that this moment would haunt her. 

The House of Lannister would end with her, she might die but she hoped that in her death it would curse all those who had brought her family to it's knees. 

"Because you know what you do this day," Arlenna spat, Sanira would be forever tainted for her actions and her children would pay the price for it; Karlon, Osric and the baby that Sanira carried in her belly would never be safe. 

A lump formed in Sanira's throat, she willed herself to keep watching and she wanted nothing more than to look away from the sight of the executioner picking up his sword. 

Arlenna prayed under her breath, not daring to look towards the man that was approaching her knowing that she wanted this to be over quickly; she did not wish to suffer more than needed, it would be over quickly and cleanly. 

"So witness it," Arlenna ordered, she raised her head giving the executioner the perfect angle to strike; her eyes never leaving Sanira's as the sword swung and cut off her head. 

Sanira felt her knees buckle and collapse under her, tears in her eyes as she hugged herself closely; she took deep breathes as she tried to wrap her head around the fact that it had happened. 

Arlenna Lannister daughter of Tytos Lannister and Jayne Marbrand, sister of Tywin, Kevan, Genna and Gerion Lannister, widow of Rolan Tremaine, wife of Euron Greyjoy and mother to Arthur, Sanira and Destone Tremaine was dead. 

Sanira closed her eyes, fighting back the tears knowing that she shouldn't grieve the woman that had betrayed her entire family and had caused her nothing but pain. 

There were footsteps behind Sanira and she should have known that he would be here to support her, Robb moving to hold his wife; he couldn't imagine what she was going through right now. 

The two of them were silent, while Arlenna's body was carefully moved into the coffin that had been prepared for her; she would be sent to Casterly Rock to lay with her family that she had loved so much. 

That would be the only kindness that they would allow her, it was on Tyrion to ensure her burial and the transport; the Starks and Tremaines were washing their hands of her. 

Robb helped Sanira to her feet, the two of them sharing a look before Sanira hugged her husband; both of them knowing that Arlenna was just one of the problems that needed dealing with. 

Now they could focus on what was coming from the North and the Dragon Queen across the sea. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

172K 6.3K 53
War is unpredictable, harsh, and definitely frightening. This holds true for those fighting in battles and those that suffer of dwindling recourses...
127K 2.3K 17
COMPLETED! Daenerys Targaryen has arrived in Westeros ready to take back her kingdom--until she meets Jon Snow and he flips her world upside down. No...
2.2K 18 11
This is the third and final instalment of The Warth Of Winter Series. If you haven't read the previous two, then go and read it first to avoid any co...
87.5K 2.6K 42
After the Red Wedding, King Robb finds himself in an uneasy alliance with King Stannis after the other man saved his life and the life of his family...