Freedom

By anime4_us

Being sick has no advantages. It's awfully long days in a hospital bed. Your only escape is Genshin Impact... More

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12
Part 13
Part 14
Part 15
Part 16
Part 17
Part 18
Part 19
Part 20
Part 21
Part 22
Part 23
Part 24
Part 25
Part 26
Part 27
Part 28
Part 29
Part 30
Part 31
Part 32
Part 33
Part 34
Part 35
Part 36
Part 37
Part 38
Part 39
Part 40
Part 41
Part 42
Part 43
Part 44
Part 45
Part 46
Part 47
Part 48
Part 49
Part 50
Part 51
Part 52
Part 53
Part 54
Part 55
Part 56
Part 57
Part 58
Part 59
Part 60
Part 61
Part 62
Part 63
Part 64
Part 66
Part 67
Part 68
Part 69
Part 70
Epilogue

Part 65

464 28 6
By anime4_us

Chapter 65:

It was not the reassurance that you wanted to hear. You wanted something to tell Xiao. Something that would spur on your words of reassurance with conviction. Not some riddle of doom. This fucking sucked.

'What's that supposed to mean?' You asked, frown marring your features.

You words scrambled on the page once more before cursive took over.

I cannot give you any more information in that regard. I have already infringed on the laws of probability. Any more, and I risk dooming you, along with Teyvat, to a worse fate than what is already in store.

Those words are so not what you wanted to read. They're far too ominous for having not given you anywhere near the information that you wanted. What the hell kinda crap did you get forced into?

Fear not, my champion. You have done well in succeeding all the tools I have provided for you. It is my hope that it is enough in the end.

Again, your ally frays your nerves, chipping at an already fine haired line. It's unfortunate that they provided you no comfort to then help with Xiao's stress... you had hoped that you could at least quell his anxiety long enough for the boat ride home. He was getting more and more restless as the days passed. It wasn't exactly something you could help with, and in all honestly, the guilt was starting to choke you out. If only you guys were back home.

'You're ominous words haven't told me if Liyue suffers in our absence.' You scratch out against the card, small hope blooming from within.

Your so called ally's words had been hard to swallow, but cryptic enough that you could hope that it was a generalization and not just Liyue that was crumbling in on itself.

As it stands, Liyue prospers in your absence.

You blink at the words that scrawl across the card in your hand. Relief washed through you for a mere moment before suspicion claws its way to the forefront of your mind because... what does your ally mean when they specify your absence?

'Only in my absence?' You scratch against the card.

You know I can't expand any further. You, my champion, are someone I wish I could tell everything to. Alas, I cannot begin to start playing favorites. Try as I might, I am already on thin ice. Try to understand that I am doing my best to provide you with what you need, especially when you take the time to ask... but I cannot, in the face of everything, give you all the answers. Should I do so, you will have already lost.

You scrub your hands over your face, suppressing your groan if only to spare the resting Adeptus beside you. Apparently your efforts are in vain.

"What's wrong?" Xiao inquires, voice scratchy from disuse.

You turned your attention towards your adeptus, feeling your exhaustion hit you like a truck. It was always riddles. No straight answers. You'd like for this ally of yours to stop skirting around the issue. He reminded you of the politicians back home.

"Arguing with my ally." You admitted without shame.

You knew Xiao didn't approve of talking to them, but you also didn't want to lie to him, so you were straight forward. You wiped your hands over your face, scrubbing hard enough to keep you awake.

"About what?" You Adeptus inquired.

You were kinda shocked he didn't lecture you. Maybe he was saving it for later.

"The state of Liyue." You huffed out, letting your hands fall into your lap. "Which is apparently prospering in our absence, their words exactly." You added, avoiding having Xiao spiral about his home.

He was the whole reason you had even bothered asking. You had wanted to give him a little reprieve from the stress-induced headaches he's been sporting as of late. It doesn't have the desired effect. In fact, Xiao looks more put off by the statement than anything else.

"That's a strange way to phrase it." He says, voice hedging on suspicion.

"I thought the same..." you grumbled, bringing your fingers up to rub at your temples.

How silly that your attempt to sooth Xiao's headaches had birthed your own. How irritating.

"What did you have to pay to get that type of information?"

Xiao seems generally worried, given the price he's had to pay for some of the information you've learnt together the hard way.

"My sanity." You grumbled, rubbing at your temples. "Riddles and imploring that I'm special but can't receive any more information than I have or something bad will happen." You added before Xiao could pop an ulcer.

"Must you test mine?" He muttered, sinking back into the bed.

"I'm not gonna suffer alone." You huffed before flopping down beside him.

"My heart can't handle any more of these surprises..." your adeptus muttered.

"I'm reaching my breaking point as well, you sap." You mused, pushing your face into his arm. "I can't tell you what any of it means. I just know that... technically I've learned all weapon types... so the problem has got to be prevalent now."

Xiao turns to face you, brushing a strand of hair out of your face. He tucked it behind your ear, moon like gaze gentle as he took the features of your face in.

"I'm kinda scared..." You admitted, admission making you feel a bit better.

"You're not alone in whatever this is. I will stand at your side. I'm willing to bet Aether and Kuni will as well." Your adeptus murmurs.

You smile before pushing into his bubble, taking in his scent. His arms welcome you readily, the tension in your muscles waning as time passes. This is your safe space. The place you will run to willingly when the going gets tough. The place where you can shut down the whirring in your brain and just exist peacefully for a moment. You can't express how happy you are, in words, that that place is in Xiao's arms.

~

The boat ride home is noneventful. Kuni and Kazuha openly flirt. You and Beidou poke fun at them, earning pink cheeks from the ex-fatui member and an easy smile form Kazuha. He doesn't seem to fluster easily. A shame, you think that Kuni would enjoy the red splashed across the samurai's cheeks if your obsession with making your adeptus blush was any indicator. Aether tells you stories of his travels. Some awful commissions, some retelling of the stories you've seen firsthand while playing Genshin. You like listening to his time in Sumeru. Sometimes Kuni even joins in, though he veers away from his role in the whole fiasco. You can read guilt when you see it, so you don't push. You guys have a running theme of being assholes to each other, but even then, there's a line. Instead, he tells you about a woman named Nahida. You discover that it's the Sumeran archon's name. You also discover that Kuni has a soft spot for the young goddess reborn. It brings a smile to your face. Xiao spends more time in the sun. You can appreciate the view with him, the sea breeze ruffling your hair. Even he seems more open to the idea of sharing stories of passed commissions. You hope that this is something you'll never lose. Kuni and Kazuha happy, Aether and Paimon jumping in with silly stories to add... and most importantly, you and your adeptus. You hope that the two of you will continue to get to know each other. Continue to make each other smile and blush.

~

When The Crux docks, Beidou bids you farewell. You wave happily while you disembark. Aether follows after you, annoying pixie chattering a mile a minute while he tries to manage each topic as it arises. Xiao's eyes roam the land, murmurs meeting both his and your ears. People are shocked to see the adeptus out in the open. He's not like Ganyu. She partakes in human society with her involvement in the Qixing. He prefers to keep his involvement in the shadows. You will never fault him for his desire for privacy. He has come a very long way since you had met him four years ago.

"See you later?" He murmurs.

You smile, giving him a tiny nod before he disappears with the wind. You're jealous of his ability. The people of Liyue know not to crowd him, but they also never get the chance.

"We've not been here five minutes and he's already run?" Kuni huffed.

"Is your boyfriend staying?" You asked, satisfied by the blush that takes over your party member's face.

"Beidou says we have a couple of days before we take off again. She'd like to take the time to do some routine maintenance and stock The Crux." Kazuha replies easily.

"Awesome. Take care of Kuni." You reply, amused by the way that the boy in question is rendered a silent, blushing mess.

"Of course." Kazuha agrees, slipping his fingers into Kuni.

Your eyes widen, smile growing with them. Excitement gets the better of you, your fingers clenched in front of your chest.

"Since when?" You demand, the three of you making your way into Liyue.

Kazuha slides an amused gaze towards Kuni. The latter pulls his hat down to cover the no doubt growing splash of red on his cheeks.

"I think Heizou pushed him." The samurai admits, smile still in place.

"Damn detective was too handsy." Kuni grumbled.

"It was quite the scene. Heizou has always been familiar, since we were children, but after seeing Kuni and I interact... he seemed a lot more affectionate." Kazuha stated.

You could feel a slight pang of guilt in your chest, but murdered it in the face of two of your friends being happy. Far be it for you to worry about the detective. He knew it was a losing battle the second you guys had spoken for the first time. He must have. Kazuha doesn't fluster easily, but he does show affection easily enough. Scarlet eyes offer an opening to his soul so easily, how could someone who had known him for so long possibly miss it?

"He was doing it on purpose." Kuni said through clenched teeth.

Now that you think about it... Was Heizou the type of person willing to go through anguish for someone that he loved?

Like he's the whole world?

Your lips pressed into a sad smile. Ya... he was someone that would hurt so that the people he loved would be happy... wasn't he?

"Eventually, Kuni was no longer able to contain himself." Kazuha mused, gaze set on the ex-Fatui member's face as he shot him a glare.

"Just be grateful I didn't tear him to shreds like I was originally planning. I don't share well." The last sentence was a grumble, featured with more warmth in his cheeks.

"He told Heizou that I was taken." Kazuha stated with a small chuckle.

"Kuni!" You gasped, shock taking over momentarily.

"What! He is." The ex-Fatui member stated with his nose in the air, lifting their linked hands as proof.

"You Casanova! I didn't know you had it in you!" You stated, laughing gently.

Both boys looked confused, but didn't voice it.

"Are you happy?" You asked, watching as Kazuha offered a gentle smile, facing his partner. Kuni pressed his lips together, looking away from the samurai. "I'm so happy for you guys."

"Thank you." Kazuha offers easily while Kuni grumbles.

"Why not go flirt with your adeptus. We're clearly busy." The ex-Fatui member huffed, tugging Kazuha in the opposite direction.

"Ok." You laugh, waving. "I can take a hint. Have fun. Be safe."

Kazuha waves easily enough, Kuni choosing to ignore your presence completely. It doesn't bother you at all. You know he's happy from the way he's clutching Kazuha's hand like a lifeline. You didn't lie at all when you said you were happy for them either. Sure, it may have come at Heizou's expense, but you have an inkling that the detective started pushing Kuni's buttons, at the end of your visit, for a different reason then when he had first started. Then again, you may be giving him more credit than he is due. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.7K 207 10
" ๐—ป๐—ผ ๐—บ๐—ฎ๐˜๐˜๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ผ๐˜„ ๐—ฎ๐—ณ๐—ฟ๐—ฎ๐—ถ๐—ฑ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚ ๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—น๐—ฒ๐˜ ๐˜†๐—ผ๐˜‚๐—ฟ๐˜€๐—ฒ๐—น๐—ณ ๐—ด๐—ฒ๐˜ ๐—ฐ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜€๐—ฒ ๐˜๐—ผ ๐—ฝ๐—ฒ๐—ผ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฒ, ๐—ถ ๐—ฏ๐—ฒ๐˜ ๐˜๐—ต๐—ฎ๐˜ ๐—ถ๐—ณ ๐˜†๐—ผ๏ฟฝ...
80.5K 1.7K 22
(Taking requests!) W A R N I N G ! ! ! โฅCussing, kissing, gay, lesbian, (smut?) angst If you don't like any of these, feel free to leave! ๐™ด๐š—๐š“๐š˜๐šข...
4.8K 220 14
โ ๐™ฝ๐š˜๐š , ๐šข๐š˜๐šž'๐š›๐šŽ ๐š๐š‘๐šŽ ๐š›๐šŽ๐šŠ๐šœ๐š˜๐š— ๐™ธ ๐šœ๐šž๐šŒ๐šŒ๐šž๐š–๐š‹ ๐š๐š˜ ๐š–๐šข ๐š™๐šŠ๐š’๐š—. โž Thanks to Xiao, you've finally woken up after your thousand year sl...
152K 9K 50
"๐˜ ๐˜ง๐˜ถ๐˜ค๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ, ๐˜ ๐˜ง๐˜ถ๐˜ค๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ, ๐˜ ๐˜ง๐˜ถ๐˜ค๐˜ฌ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฅ ๐˜ถ๐˜ฑ..." Not the most comforting words to hear right after you died, but you guess they'...