Yu-Gi-Oh! G(alaxy)X

By RideAWhiteHorse

Hikari Yuta has always been able to see the spirits of the cards. From time to time, he would be playing in t... More

The Entrance Exam
Welcome to the Academy
School Days
Red Heart
God's Plan
Sunrise
After the Storm
Winner and Loser
Dragon Clash
Mount Sylvania
Thunder, Thunder, Thunder!!
Generation Next
Crocodile Girl
Winner and Winner
Summer Memories
Siblings
An Elephant in the Room
Brand New Slifer Red
Gone with the Wind
Future Champions
Master of Puppets
Adult's Business

Ice Barrier

134 7 0
By RideAWhiteHorse

Yuta's voice cut through the cheers of the crowd, catching Asuka's attention for a fleeting moment. Her expression flickered with genuine astonishment upon seeing Yuta, but she quickly returned her focus to the duel. She shouted her final move, commanding her Nekroz of Trishula to launch a direct attack, sealing her victory.

Without a second glance at Yuta, she exited the cage, leaving it behind like a conquered battlefield. The cage's narrator, this one being an old man who displayed a flashy mustache, seemed to have relished the spectacle.

_ What an incredible OTK! The Princess of Obelisk Blue secures victory in a single, dominant turn! I hope you placed hefty bets on her!

Yuta watched as Asuka walked away, her cold demeanor being a stark contrast to their previous encounters. She was flanked by a burly man and a wiry individual, both dressed in black suits. The duo exchanged satisfied smiles before directing Asuka down a narrow hallway, hidden from the main crowd.

Despite his best efforts, Yuta's voice was lost amidst the chaos of the nightclub, and his cries for her went unanswered. He stood there, a sense of helplessness washing over him, as Asuka disappeared into the dimly lit corridor with her newfound companions.

Yuta's desperate sprint toward Asuka led him to a confrontation with an immense, muscle-bound man. The man's arms were adorned with intricate snake tattoos, and his imposing presence blocked Yuta's path.

_ Hey, kid, this area is for duelists who are about to face the Ice Emperor.

Yuta, his mind racing to formulate a convincing story, stammered out a hasty reply.

_ Ah, yes... I'm... Her coach! I train the Obelisk Blue Princess. I need to have a quick strategy discussion with her, you know?

The guard, a formidable physical presence with a limited intellectual range, simply shrugged and stepped aside, allowing Yuta to proceed. He walked down the narrow, dimly lit hallway, peering into the rooms in search of Asuka. His heart raced with each passing door.

Finally, he halted in front of an open door and saw Asuka standing before a metal chair, her gaze fixed on her reflection in a mirror. Yuta called out her name, his voice filled with concern.

_ Asuka?

Startled, Asuka turned around, her expression a mixture of fear and disbelief.

_ What are you doing here? Do you have any idea what kind of place this is?

_ I could ask you the same question! What in the world is this place? And more importantly, why is my Winged Dragon of Ra here?

Asuka's response was chilling. Slowly, she retrieved a pendant from beneath her blouse, revealing the Egyptian God card that adorned its tip. Yuta's eyes widened in shock and disbelief as he gazed upon it.

_ You stole it.

_ I was going to give it back after I was done in here.

The girl moves past Yuta and shuts the door behind him, leaving the couple alone inside the tiny room. After this, she sits on the metal chair and starts shuffling her deck, coldly ignoring Yuta's presence. The boy, still shocked, leaned his head towards her, trying to make any sort of eye contact.

_ Why did you that?

Asuka shakes her head. Her voice trembles.

_ You wouldn't understand...

Yuta crouches down in front of Asuka. Gently, his hands take the deck away from the girl's hands, forcing her to look him in the eyes. Yuta's expression, however, is not one of anger. His eyes pierce Asuka's heart with genuine concern.

_ Tell me. Does it have something to do with your brother?

Asuka's eyes water. The girl tells Yuta the whole story of the August 4th, 2017. The day her father kicked her brother out of the house. Yuta just listened, unable to say a word. After Asuka concludes her story with a lone tear running down her cheek, a few seconds of silence play out until Yuta finally finds some words to say.

_ So, your brother got involved with the mafia?

_ Do you remember the "No Luck Guy" meme?

Yuta chuckles.

_ Yeah. The guy who lost at his debut because he didn't draw any good card, wh- Oh... Was that...?

_ Yes, that was Fubuki. I know it's stupid but, because of that, Fubuki's career ended before it even started. All sponsors left him. No pro leagues wanted him. His only resource left was Underground Dueling. That's how he met the mafia.

Yuta takes a few steps and sits on the floor of the small room, right next to the chair where Asuka is. He rests his hands on his knees and leans his head against the wall, staring at the fan that rotates slowly under the leaky ceiling.

_ That sucks. Really.

_ Yeah.

Yuta's gaze drops to Asuka's trembling hands. Beneath her delicately manicured nails, Yuta's pendant is curled. At its tip, the Winged Dragon of Ra swings in the air.

_ And why did you bring that with you?

Asuka's hands clenched tightly, gripping the string holding the Egyptian God card. Her sad and reflective expression gives way to a determined face slightly filled with anger. She tells Yuta about Erebus, the supposed spirit that now possesses Fubuki's body.

_ So, your plan is to give him the card? That's it?

_ Of course not. I'll do the same as you. I'll defeat him in a Shadow Duel and get my brother's body back.

Yuta stands up in a sudden. His look of disbelief is a clear sign that what Asuka just told him is complete insanity.

_ Hey, do you have any idea of what you're talking about? Shadow Duels are not exactly a fun ride in a roller coaster, remember?

Asuka also stands up. She looks Yuta right in the eyes, her resolve remaining unshakable on her expression.

_ Princess, it's your turn. Go to the main cage. The Ice Emperor is waiting.

The big man who was guarding the entrance to the corridor opens the door to the small room and, soon after, is out of sight. The couple is alone once again and Asuka now smiles at Yuta. She leans over gently and gives him a sweet kiss on the cheek.

_ Trust me, Yuta. Please. The same way I trusted you that night.

Even with his head screaming a thousand reasons to take Asuka away from there by force, Yuta decides to trust her words. He nods before the girl leaves him completely alone under the shadow of the slowly rotating fan.

...

The narrator with the scorpion tattoo burst forth with enthusiasm, his voice booming through the nightclub as he announced the upcoming duel. The crowd roared in anticipation, wondering if the Ice Emperor would finally meet his match in the Ice Princess.

Yuta, pushing his way through the densely packed crowd, was determined to get as close to the cage as possible to see Asuka up close.

The moment arrived. Asuka entered the cage, her steps a tad hesitant but met with a thunderous applause from the club's spectators. On the opposite side of the arena stood Fubuki, or Erebus, his malevolent grin behind the sinister mask.

The narrator concluded his introductions, encouraging bets as women dressed in leather skirts moved through the crowd, open purses ready to collect spectators' money. One of these women passed right in front of Yuta, the half-open bag revealing a startling quantity of banknotes.

Meanwhile, inside the cage, Asuka, as she prepared her duel disk, was overcome by a strange sensation. The explosive sounds of the nightclub faded into the background until they vanished completely. She turned her attention to the narrator with the scorpion tattoo, who stood frozen in time, just like the rest of the club.

_ I know you have a proposal for me.

Erebus's chilling voice sliced through the silence. Asuka kept her gaze forward, her brother's possessed body still adorned with that malevolent grin.

_ Say it.

Overwhelmed by an eerie cold sensation, Asuka placed her hand on her chest, right where the pendant rested beneath her blouse. It burned like a scorching pan.

_ I challenge you to a Shadow Duel.

_ Your terms?

_ If you defeat me, I will give you the Winged Dragon of Ra. If I defeat you, you return my brother's body.

Erebus smiled as time gradually resumed its flow.

_ Challenge accepted.

The narrator finished collecting the bags of money, his excitement evident at the substantial amount they had amassed.

_ Excellent! Now, the Duel House presents you: Ice Emperor versus Ice Princess! Duel!

Ice Emperor 8000 Ice Princess 8000

_ According to the rules, our champion, the great Ice Emperor, begins the duel!

The vast crowd of the club chant Fubuki's alias, without knowing that his body was viled by the evil spirit of Erebus. Just by looking at his malevolant and twisted smirk, Yuta feels shivers down his spine. He can only imagine what Asuka was enduring inside that cage.

With a theatrical flourish, Erebus initiated his opening move.

_ I'll start with this, from my hand: Dance Princess of the Ice Barrier, in attack position!

Dance Princess of the Ice Barrier 1700 ATK 900

Like that memorable night in the forest, Asuka feels the uncanny atmosphere of the Shadow Duel. Even though they were not inside the Shadow Realm, she could tell that the monster that just materialized in front of her was no mere hologram. It had a presence of its own - and it was corrupted by Erebus just like her brother's body.

_ Now, using Double Summon, I can also bring to my field this Tuner Monster!

Double Summon

Defender of the Ice Barrier 300 ATK 1600 DEF

The crowd chants louder. An unease mix of nostalgia and fear breeds in Asuka's heart as she sees the spirit using the same cards and the same moves her brother used to use against her when they would casually duel on the living room's carpet.

_ After sending these monsters to Graveyard, I shall Synchro Summon: Gungnir, Dragon of the Ice Barrier, in attack position!

Gungnir, Dragon of the Ice Barrier 2500 ATK 1700 DEF

_ There it is, ladies and gentlemen! The Ice Emperor's fearsome Gungnir! If you haven't placed your bets yet, there is still time!

As the club chants "Gungnir" over and over, Yuta sees those ladies with bags roaming among the crowd once more. More and more money flows through the place.

_ I set a card and end my turn.

The discomfort of that club's environment, the disturbing atmosphere of the Shadow Duel and Fubuki's twisted face and personality starts to grow an anxiety in Asuka. As she draws the next card, she notices her hands shaking. Was Yuta right all along? Maybe that was a terrible idea, indeed. She looks for the boy among the smoky shadows around the cage, looking for any sort of comfort or reset. She can't spot him anywhere.

"Asuka-san, listen to me. Focus only on my voice. I am here with you! You can calm down."

Asuka hears a sweet, refreshing, female voice inside her head. She feels a chilling, good, sensation spreading through her body as she realizes the source of that voice - the card she holds in her hand.

"Use me, milady! Summon me! We'll do this together!"

The anxiety slowly goes away.

_ Activate, Ritual Spell Card: Nekroz Cycle! I'm sending Shurit, Strategist of the Nekroz to my Graveyard and, in the depths of icy currents and arcane magic, I call upon the ancient power of the Nekroz! Ritual Summon! From the frigid abyss, arise, Nekroz of Gungnir!

Nekroz Cycle

Nekroz of Gungnir 2500 ATK 1700 DEF

Out of luminescent vortexes emerges the magnificent Nekroz of Gungnir. Standing tall and resplendent, her icy armor glistens under the lights of the Duel House, reflecting a breathtaking array of hues, from sapphire blue to frosty white. Her crystal wings unfurl with an otherworldly grace, and they glisten like shards of the purest glacier.

_ Behold, ladies and gentlemen, the Ice Princess! Amidst this frosty duel of Ice Royalty, the warmest spectacle might just be the winnings you'll claim! Place your bets while there's still time!

Yuta's eyes are open wide at the surreal circulation of money.

_ Since I tributed Shurit, I can activate its ability! I can add Nekroz of Trishula to my hand

Shurit, Strategist of the Nekroz

_ Now, I activate Nekroz of Gungnir's ability! By discarding this Nekroz of Trishula, I can destroy your dragon! Go, Ice Barrier!

Nekroz of Gungnir

In one graceful move, Nekroz of Gungnir overcomes Erebus' dragon in a thrilling, and beautiful, clash of ice against ice.

"Let's do this, Asuka-san!"

_ Yes! Battle! Nekroz of Gungnir, attack directly!

_ Will the Ice Emperor finally be vanquished? Don't miss this chance to wager on the Ice Princess - higher stakes mean greater rewards!

Yuta vibrates with excitement outside the cage.

_ Turn end!

Ice Emperor 5500 Ice Princess 8000

Even though striked with the first blood, Erebus' posture remains calm and composed.

_ Well played, "sister". Let me see how you deal with this. Activate Trap Card: Call of the Haunted, bring back my dragon!

Call of the Haunted

Gungnir, Dragon of the Ice Barrier 2500 ATK 1700 DEF

"Hurry, milady! Before it uses its effect!"

_ I activate my Nekroz of Gungnir's quick ability! I'll discard Dance Princess of the Nekroz to destroy your Call of the Haunted! That sends your dragon back to the Graveyard!

Nekroz of Gungnir

With another touch of power and finesse, Nekroz of Gungnir's ability manifests inside the cage - followed by the excited screams of the crowd.

_ As I thought, you are skilled enough to be cautious. However, you won't have this ability again to deal with my next dragon... Activate, Pot of Greed!

Unnerved, Asuka turns to the scorpion tattoo's narrator.

_ Hey! Isn't Pot of Greed banned?!

_ Not in the Duel House, princess! Speaking of greed... I want more money in these bags, ladies and gentlemen! Wage your money! Save no expenses! The more you spend, the more you win!

Pot of Greed

Sweat drips off Asuka's forehead as Erebus draws two cards from his deck.

_ Now, I summon Hexa Spirit of the Ice Barrier. With its ability, I can send this Zuijin of the Ice Barrier to the Graveyard, making my Tuner Monster's Level turn to two!

Hexa Spirit of the Ice Barrier 400 ATK 200 DEF

_ Since I control an Ice Barrier Monster, I can Special Summon, from my hand, Speaker for the Ice Barrier!

Speaker for the Ice Barrier 1000 ATK 1800 DEF

_ Finally, I activate this: Monster Reborn! I will summon, to my field, your Shurit, Strategist of the Nekroz!

Monster Reborn

Shurit, Strategist of the Nekroz 300 ATK 1800 DEF

As Erebus uses another forbidden card, Asuka starts to feel anxious again.

"Stay with me, milady! I'm still here, remember? I am not leaving your side!"

Even Nekroz of Gungnir's sweet words are not enough to calm Asuka's mind. The girl adds up, in her head, the levels of the monsters that stand on Erebus' field and knows exactly what's about to come next.

_ I am sending these monster to the Graveyards, now! Synchro Summon: Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier!

Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier 2700 ATK 2000 DEF

The crowd ominously chant the dragon's name, as if it was a gladiator entering a bloody coliseum.

_ With the effect of my dragon, I shall banish this Nekroz of Gungnir, then, banish that Shurit, Strategist of the Nekroz that just went back to your Graveyard and, finally, banish a random card from your hand.

"Asu-"

Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier

With that, Nekroz of Gungnir's voice vanishes completely as she leaves the field. Asuka is all alone now. And her field is completely open for Erebus' attack.

_ Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier, it's your turn to attack directly!

An excruciating cold takes over Asuka's body as her Life Points decrease. Once again, she remembers the episode in the Shadow Realm. The burns suffered by Yuta. This was the kind of pain she would have to endure in that cage from now on.

_ I end my turn.

From afar, Yuta sees Asuka leaning down, holding her chest. He understands better than anyone in that club the pain she might be feeling. He tries to scream for her, but the music, the crowd chants and the enthusiastic narrator's pleas for bet, made his voice completely unable to reach the girl.

Trembling in a mix of pain and anxiety, Asuka draws her next card.

_ I activate Preparation of Rites! With it, I can add to my hand a copy of Nekroz of Brionac from my deck and Nekroz Cycle from my Graveyard!

Preparation of Rites

_ Now, I activate the ability of my Nekroz of Brionac. I can discard it to the Graveyard and add another copy of Shurit to my hand.

Nekroz of Brionac

_ After this, I'm using Nekroz Cycle again! Tributing Shurit, I can Ritual Summon from my Graveyard: Nekroz of Trishula, in attack position!

Nekroz Cycle

Nekroz of Trishula 2700 ATK 1900 DEF

_ Now, with my Trishula's effect, I am the one banishing your cards now!

Erebus laughs. He shows both his hands to Asuka. There are no cards in them - which means that Trishula's effect will be unable to be activated.

_ No way...

Despair takes over Asuka's body. How could she have made such a stupid mistake like that? What can she do now? She will definitely lose because of this.

"Asuka-san..."

Once she loses, her brother's soul will be lost forever. Even worse, the Egyptian God will fall into the hands of the evil spirit of Erebus.

"Milady, listen to me..."

She ruined everything. Fubuki's life. Yuta's trust. Everything shattered once and for all.

"Asuka-san!"

Suddenly, the girl awakens from her panic attack and returns to reality through the refreshing voice of the Nekroz of Gungnir.

"Gungnir, you are still there..."

"I told you I wouldn't leave your side! Listen to me: even if you made a mistake now, the situation is good for us. Erebus not having cards in his hand means his moves are limited!"

Little by little, Asuka calms down. With the help of her guardian spirit's words, she is able to focus back on the duel.

"You still have Shurit's effect! You just tributed it, remember? Add another Brionac to your hand! Next round, we'll use it to make a more efficient play!"

Asuka takes a deep breath and continues with her move.

_ I activate my Shurit's ability! It allows me to add another Nekroz of Brionac from my deck to my hand!

Shurit, Strategist of the Nekroz

"Excellent! Now, end your turn. Let's get ready for the next round."

Now calmer, Asuka pays attention to her surroundings. Amidst the lights, the music, and the narrator's greedy encouragements, she finally manages to catch Yuta's apprehensive gaze in the crowd. As soon as she sees the best duelist she has ever met, the girl knows - this is not the time to make conservative moves.

"Sorry, Gungnir, but I'm not done yet."

_ Let's battle! Nekroz of Trishula, attack that dragon!

An explosion of ice erupts from inside the cage as Asuka and Erebus' monsters clash. With the same attack power, the two destroy each other while the crowd cheers.

_ Now, hear me out! Since a Nekroz Monster I control was destroyed, I can Special Summon this Pendulum Monster from my hand! Show yourself, Zefraxa, Flame Beast of the Nekroz!

Zefraxa, Flame Beast of the Nekroz 2000 ATK 1000 DEF

"Well played, milady!"

_ Zefraxa, attack directly! Turn end!

Ice Emperor 3500 Ice Princess 5300

With a newfound serenity, Asuka now pays attention to Erebus. She's close. Soon, Fubuki and her will leave that place together and safe.

The spirit, on the other hand, can't hide his unnease anymore. Behind the grotesque mask, the dull, red glow flickers and his teeth grind in an expression of hatred. How dare that fragile and pathetic human hurt the pride of the great Underworld Monarch?

_ My turn, again! I activate Pot of Avarice!

Pot of Avarice

The spirit angerly sends five cards from his Graveyard to the deck before drawing two new ones. After seeing what he pulled up, the evil grin returns to Fubuki's possessed face.

_ I activate Premature Burial! By paying 800 Life Points, I can summon Trishula from the Graveyard!

Premature Burial

Trishula, Dragon of the Ice Barrier 2700 ATK 1900 DEF

_ Now, because Trishula was summoned, I can Special Summon this one from the Graveyard as well: Zuijin of the Ice Barrier! When it enters the field, my dragon's Level is reduced by two.

Zuijin of the Ice Barrier 500 ATK 300 DEF

_ I still possess my Normal Summon. I'm summoning a Tuner Monster: Cryomancer of the Ice Barrier!

Cryomancer of the Ice Barrier 1300 ATK 0 DEF

The crowd mobilizes in a growing sound of anticipation. Once again, Asuka adds up the monsters' levels in her head.

_ Fubuki's ace...

_ Synchro Summon! Arise, Trishula, Zero Dragon of the Ice Barrier!

Trishula, Zero Dragon of the Ice Barrier 2700 ATK 2000 DEF

The supreme ice dragon materializes inside the Cage, emanating a cold and penetrating aura. The crowd chants the Ice Emperor's name as Erebus's evil smile widens.

_ At last, ladies and gentlemen! The Ice Emperor's fearsome dragon is in our Duel House! This could be the end for the Ice Princess - and your last chance to bet money!

_ With my dragon's ability, I can banish that Pendulum Monster you control!

Trishula, Zero Dragon of the Ice Barrier

Again, Asuka's field is open wide.

_ Attack, Trishula, Zero Dragon of the Ice Barrier!

For the second time, pain fills Asuka's body. She barely manages to stay upright, leaning on the bars of the cage to not be knocked prone on the ground.

_ I end my turn.

Asuka recomposes herself and draws the card at the top of her deck. She is relieved to see that Nekroz of Gungnir is once again in her hand.

"It's fine, Asuka-san. We are almost there. Put me on the field, again! I can deal with that dragon using my ability."

It's no use. Asuka knows that card pretty well. If Nekroz of Gungnir destroys it, that dragon's effect would summon another Trishula from the Graveyard - this one being much more stronger than before.

"We can't destroy it, Gungnir. We need to be more inventive."

"What do you have in mind?"

Asuka closes her eyes. The cacophony of sounds from the club slowly fades away. The maelstrom of thoughts in the girl's mind calms down until it becomes a slow-moving stream. She feels grateful. Grateful to Nekroz of Gungnir, for helping her stay calm in this suffocating moment. Grateful to Yuta, for trusting her even after everything. And, above all, grateful to Fubuki, for teaching her how to duel when they were still children.

_ I activate my Nekroz of Brionac again! I'm discarding it to add my last copy of Shurit to my hand!

Nekroz of Brionac

_ Now, from my Graveyard, I activate Nekroz Cycle! By banishing it, I can add any Nekroz Spell Card from my deck to my hand, even another copy of Nekroz Cycle!

Nekroz Cycle

"Everything's set, Gungnir. Let's do this!"

"Yes, milady!"

_ From my hand, Nekroz Cycle, activate! I'm tributing Shurit to Ritual Summon, from the Graveyard, Nekroz of Brionac! In attack position!

Nekroz Cycle

Nekroz of Brionac 2300 ATK 1400 DEF

_ Now, you know what happens, right? I tributed Shurit, so I can add any Warrior-Type Nekroz Ritual Monster to my hand!

Shurit, Strategist of the Nekroz

_ Right after adding it to my hand, I'll discard Nekroz of Clausolas to search another Nekroz Ritual Spell Card from my deck!

Nekroz of Clausolas

_ Now, finally, I activate Nekroz Mirror! I can banish monsters of my Graveyard as a tribute, which means I can use Shurit again for my next Ritual Summon! From the depths of icy currents and the echoes of our ancestors, I invoke the power of the ritual! Dance upon the waves, Nekroz of Gungnir!

Nekroz Mirror

Nekroz of Gungnir 2500 ATK 1700 DEF

As the ritual weaves its arcane symphony, the air crackles with ancient power. A spiraling vortex of ethereal ice forms, growing in intensity. Suddenly, a resplendent figure emerges, clad in a dazzling, sapphire-hued armor. Nekroz of Gungnir's wings unfurled again with majestic grace.

Erebus grins. There was nothing to worry about that human, after all. Without any cards on her hand, she won't even be able to use Nekroz of Gungnir's ability again. Asuka, however, makes that smile disappear completely with an unexpected movement.

_ I activate the ability of my Nekroz of Brionac! I can target a monster that was summoned from the Extra Deck and shuffle it back there! ICE BARRIER, GO!

Nekroz of Brionac

_ That's it, ladies and gentlemen! Our champion will finally meet his downfall! What won't fall is the bank account of those who placed their bets on the Ice Princess!

Part of the crowd cheers, excited. Another part curses and regrets the money bet on the victory of the former champion. Yuta, in the midst of all this confusion, can't even scream or jump - with the mix of joy and relief he feels to see that Asuka, in fact, did it.

_ Nekroz of Brionac, Nekroz of Gungnir, finish this!

Ice Emperor 0 Ice Princess 2600

After the victory, a tumultuous sea of emotions engulfs the club. Frustrated bettors clash with the fortunate winners, and amidst the dimly lit pandemonium, a brawl begins to take shape. Chairs fly, bottles shatter, and the thick, hazy air crackles with anger.

_ Ladies and gentlemen, our triumphant champion, the Ice Princess! A new dinasty dawns in the hallowed halls of the Duel House!

The narrator's words are lost in the escalating chaos, as the club's atmosphere becomes increasingly turbulent. Amidst the tumult, Asuka's attention remains locked on Fubuki. Her brother slips quietly out of the cage, clutching his own throat.

_ Fubuki!

_ Our champion will now grace us with a few- Hey!

Unperturbed by the scuffle around her, Asuka runs straight past the tattooed narrator, retracing her brother's steps. Chairs and objects sail through the air, but she pays them no mind.

In the distance, a silhouette emerges - the figure of Fubuki, staggering up the stairs leading to the street outside. Ignoring the bedlam and debris raining down around her, Asuka makes a desperate dash to reach him.

_ No...

Just as she approaches Fubuki's fallen body on the rain-soaked asphalt, time grinds to a halt once more. Raindrops hang suspended in mid-air, and a shadow begins to rise from her brother's body - a dark, smoky presence like the void. Gleaming red eyes pierce the eerie silence as the deep, resonant, true voice of Erebus reverberates through the air.

_ I am weary of playing games with you, human...

The sinister entity fully emerges, looming at least twenty feet tall. Terror paralyzes Asuka. She's completely powerless to move. However, behind her, another apparition manifests - a figure adorned in shimmering sapphire armor with crystal wings, a stark contrast to the surrounding darkness.

_ You accepted the terms, Monarch! Tenjouin Asuka's victory was just!

Erebus remains unmoved, his focus solely on inflicting suffering upon the girl. The Monarch's colossal hand reaches out towards her.

_ GIVE ME THE WINGED DRAGON OF RA!

_ ICE BARRIER!

In a precise move, Nekroz of Gungnir's icy barrage expels Erebus' spirit. Raindrops resume their descent, and time flows once again. Asuka hurries to her brother's side, checking his pulse and breathing. Fubuki is alive, though unconscious.

The scene unfolds before Yuta's eyes as he arrives.

_ Yuta, please!

_ I got it!

Yuta swiftly dials the emergency number on his cellphone as Asuka clutches her brother's hand tightly.

...

Fubuki opens his eyes. He knows a hospital ceiling when he sees one. An IV tube attached to his left arm bothers him a lot when he tries to get up.

The nurse opens the room door. Fubuki smiles as Asuka and his mother rush to hug him - ignoring the pain in his left arm as his mother presses on the tubes. As he raises his head once more, Fubuki freezes. His father is there, standing at the doorway of the hospital room. After a few seconds of silence, the boy finally finds the right words to say.

_ Dad, I've made up my mind. I'm quitting dueling. I heard there's a restaurant near home hiring... If you let me go home...

Every eye in the room, including the nurse's, turns expectantly towards Mr. Tenjouin. A solitary tear glistens in his eye.

_ Son... Your room is still there. Just as you left it...

With their family reunited, the Tenjouins share a collective embrace. Amid the emotional moment, Fubuki leans in to whisper in his little sister's ear.

_ Thank you.

Asuka hugs him even tighter. Those two words convey everything she needs to hear, confirming that Fubuki had been aware of everything while Erebus controlled his body. Despite the lingering fractures, Asuka's shattered world was slowly being repaired.

Mother and daughter depart for the hospital's reception, eyes still puffy from the previous scene. Asuka spots Yuta, seated on a nearby couch.

_ Mom, would you mind going ahead? I'll catch up with you soon.

Although a little confused, Mrs. Tenjouin decides to respect her daughter's decision. Yuta, now noticing Asuka's approach, promptly rises from the couch, nearly nodding off.

_ What happened? Is Fubuki okay?

_ Yeah, he's fine. He just needs medication till tomorrow. Mom and I are going home to get some clothes and blankets. My dad's staying with him in the room.

_ Your father? So, that means...

Asuka smiles, her expression subtly revealing her happiness.

_ Yes, they've finally reconciled.

Yuta exhales a sigh of relief. As Asuka's joy begins to give way to hesitation, she carefully retrieves the pendant from beneath her blouse, returning the Winged Dragon of Ra to its owner.

_ Yuta, about that...

_ It's okay, really.

_ No, I know it's not okay! I'm sure you were angry with me, but I didn't know how to explain everything that was happening!

_ Relax...

_ It's just that... When it's about you, I get even more confused! I never know what to do, what to say! And I hate it! I hate it!

_ Asuka, listen...

_ It's not that I hate you! On the contrary, I really, really like you! It's just-

Asuka's agitation is silenced by the touch of Yuta's lips. Surprise quickly melts into surrender as she gives herself to the moment. When the couple finally part, their eyes meet. Asuka, her cheeks flushed, retains a hint of shyness.

_ Do you forgive me?

_ It depends.

_ On what?

_ If you go out with me on Tuesday for an ice cream, I'll forgive you.

Asuka giggles, a smile slowly spreading across her blushing face. After one more affectionate kiss, she turns away, heading out of the hospital to rejoin her mother.

Meanwhile, Yuta is left alone at the hospital reception, where a kindly old woman looks up from her magazine and offers a warm smile, nodding at the young man. Blushing with embarrassment, he can't help but return the smile.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.6K 58 8
After things took place back in duelist kingdom, Kyra faces more darker forces to be dealt with. Meanwhile, Yugi, Yami, and the rest of the gang sta...
194 0 15
Jaden Yuki enrolls to Duel Academy where he ends up making new friends.
2.2K 55 6
Joey Wheeler and Seto Kaiba have been dating for a year. Kaiba only started dating him because he thought it would make him more popular. But Kaiba h...
2.5K 143 66
I'm just a normal girl, right? All that stuff that happened in the past doesn't matter, this is a fresh start. New country, new city, new school... w...