𝐂𝐎𝐒𝐌𝐈𝐂 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 ! [ rhy...

Af midnight_ink_

❛ a falling star fell from your heart and landed in my eyes ❜ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⬩❖⬩ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ "How . . ." She was at a loss... Mere

𝐂𝐎𝐒𝐌𝐈𝐂 𝐋𝐎𝐕𝐄 !
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐎𝐍𝐄 , 𝐀𝐂𝐎𝐓𝐀𝐑 !
𝐢. christmas cheer !
𝐢𝐢. the spring court ?
𝐢𝐢𝐢. welcome , feyre !
𝐢𝐯. kitchen mishaps !
𝐯. a ride with a demon !
𝐯𝐢. the suriel !
𝐯𝐢𝐢. the truth ( sort of ) !
𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. tamlin sucks at flirting !
𝐢𝐱. amarantha's first strike !
𝐱. bonding time !
𝐱𝐢. night in shining armor !
𝐱𝐢𝐢. angels and faeries !
𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. the solstice !
𝐱𝐢𝐯. high lord of the night court !
𝐱𝐯. family trees !
𝐱𝐯𝐢. amarantha's plaything !
𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢. child of faerie and angel !
𝐱𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢. a sadistic genie !
𝐱𝐢𝐱. the first task !
𝐱𝐱. give and take !
𝐱𝐱𝐢. love and lust !
𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢. upwards and onwards !
𝐱𝐱𝐢𝐢𝐢. welcome home !
𝐀𝐂𝐓 𝐓𝐖𝐎 , 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐑𝐄𝐓𝐔𝐑𝐍 !
𝐢𝐢. welcome to velaris !
𝐢𝐢𝐢. the city of starlight !
𝐢𝐯. pieces of history !
𝐯. rita's !
QUICK QUESTION (will be removed)
𝐯𝐢. drunken memories !

𝐢. nightmares and daydreams !

2K 126 17
Af midnight_ink_

𝐂 𝐎 𝐒 𝐌 𝐈 𝐂   𝐋 𝐎 𝐕 𝐄   !

𝙲 𝙷 𝙰 𝙿 𝚃 𝙴 𝚁   𝙾 𝙽 𝙴   !

( 𝔫𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔪𝔞𝔯𝔢𝔰 𝔞𝔫𝔡 𝔡𝔞𝔶𝔡𝔯𝔢𝔞𝔪𝔰 ! )

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⬩❖⬩ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

          𝐒𝐇𝐄 𝐖𝐀𝐒 𝐑𝐔𝐍𝐍𝐈𝐍𝐆.

She didn't know where to, or where from, or where she was at the moment. All she knew was she was running, and she was running fast. Her feet pounded against the ground with each leaping step, her heart hammering in synch between her ribcage and her stinging lungs. Each inhale was like sucking in shards of glass, and each exhale felt like her last. But despite the burning in her muscles and the aching of her bones, she kept going. Kept running deep into the darkness.

Shadows passed by her, forming in blurs in her peripheral. Monsters and demons from her past, reaching out with mangled hands and talons dripping in blood. They grasped for her clothing, striking fast and hard but never fast enough. 

The road before her stretched on for miles upon miles, fading into the darkness once it reached the limit of her vision. Silvery fog tainted the skies, blurring her sight more than the sweat dripping into her eyes. She could hear someone chasing herfeel every pounding step they tookbut each time she looked back, she saw nothing. No person, no monster, nothing.

But still, she could hear it. Closer and closer those feet fell, approaching her faster than she could run. No matter how much effort she put into sprinting, the creature behind her was always faster. 

Soon, Ana felt its hot, rotten breath fanning across her back. She could feel its talons reaching for her, ripping through the fabric of her clothes. Its shadow enveloped her, arms stretching out and reaching for her. Grabbing, snatching, gripping. Until she finally felt those claws sink into her arms, halting her so suddenly, her feet flew from underneath her and she fell backward into the creature's arms. 

No sound left her lips as she was dragged backward. She kicked and clawed for a way out, but the creature held tight, dragging her back the way she came. She could feel the gravel scraping against her skin through her torn shirt. She could feel the claws digging deeper into her arms. And she could feel her airways beginning to close up due to panic. 

Her hands grasped for the creature's face or upper body, wanting to at least see what or who was hurting her. But when she finally made contact and looked up, she was met with nothing but blurred features and a grotesque, bloody smile.

"You can never run. For I will always find you, Anastasia."

The blonde shot up in her bed, gasping for air. Her body was covered in a thin layer of sweat, her tank top sticking to her stomach and breasts. Her hair was slick to her face, wild and untamed and hanging around her like a lion's mane. She was panting, hands gripping her chest as she tried to chase away the disturbing dream.

Once her heart finally settled and she could breathe once more, she slipped silently out of her bed and crept toward the door with a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. 

The Institute was quiet aside from a few people here and there working on separate projects. Ana kept her eyes in front of her, ignoring the strange looks she'd get from passerby's. She had a destination and she wasn't going to let anyone stop her from reaching it. 

Finally, she came to a stop before the door not too far down the hall from her own. She hesitantly raised her fist, ready to knock, only to stop. Should she really wake them up? After all the stress of these past few days, they needed their sleep and they couldn't keep being awoken when Ana had a bad dream. She was a Shadowhunter. Bad dreams weren't meant to scare her, but make her grow. 

She lowered her hand and turned, ready to go back to her room and stare at the ceiling until she eventually fell asleep. But the sound of the door opening behind her caused her to spin around, finding a concerned Alec Lightwood looking at her with messy hair and bright eyes.

"Ana?" he asked, his voice scratchy from having woken up.

Ana frowned. "I'm sorry for waking you up."

Alec shook his head. "I was already awake working on some stuff." He noticed the blanket on her shoulders and his frown deepened. "You had the nightmare again, didn't you?" She nodded and he sighed, opening his door further. "Come in."

The blonde hesitated, looking between the hallway and the open door. Then, with a heavy breath, she slowly walked into his room, feeling awful for waking him up even though he said he was already up. She knew that was bullshit, but she admired how he tried to keep her from feeling too bad. Unluckily for him, Alec was a shit liar, which meant she could always trust him to tell the truth to her.

He closed the door behind them and sat on the bed, patting the space beside him that Ana quickly occupied. She kept her gaze focused on the wall across from her, mind reeling with thoughts as Alec waited patiently for her to begin.

This was how it went every night. She'd wake up panting and terrified from her nightmare, then come to Alec's room and talk it all out with him. Sure, she could go to Izzy, her beloved Parabatai who understood her better than she understood herself, but there were some things Ana couldn't do without fearing for her life. And waking up Izzy Lightwood in the middle of the night was one of them.

Biting the inside of her cheek, Ana sighed and looked down. "It said those same damn words," she started, her voice raw with emotion. "'You can never run. For I will always find you, Anastasia.'" She looked up, blinking back tears. "I just wish . . . I wish I knew who was saying that. There are so many people and monsters I've ran from, but hearing those words . . . right when everything was getting good again . . ."

She hadn't realized just how much she was shaking until Alec wrapped her into a tight hug. "You're right. Things are getting good again. You're back from your forced trip to Prythian, the wars are over, and everything is finally settling down." He ran his fingers through her hair as she snuggled into his embrace. "Have you ever thought that this is just underlying stress? I mean, you went through shit before coming back. Re-lived your past memories and had to make some tough decisions. Are you sure these nightmares aren't just living embodiments of the worries of your subconscious?"

Ana blinked. "That sounded way too smart for you. Have you been talking with Simon recently?" Alec hit her playfully and she managed a weak laugh. "I mean, it could be. The last time I relaxed was the day I was born . . . and even then, I was a crying mess."

"So nothing's changed much, I see." Ana rolled her eyes. "Have you tried talking to"

"No." 

Alex sighed. "Ana, he probably knows more about this dream stuff than I do. I mean, there's also Magnus, but you already said no to asking him for help as well." He noticed the darkness clouding her eyes. "Listen, I just want you to be okay. I'm getting worried about this endless stream of nightmares. You aren't sleeping, you barely eat . . ."

He was right. She hadn't been sleeping, or eating, or even performing up to her usual standards. She'd try to sleep, but the nightmares would wake her and make it impossible for her to fall back to sleep. And when she tried to eat, images of those dark claws ripping into her skin would drive her appetite away. If the dark circles under her eyes and the approaching skinniness weren't enough to worry people, the way she stumbled about like a zombie was. 

Ana rubbed her hands across her face. "I don't want to worry him, too. He's got so much on his plate already, what with being trapped for fifty years and not seeing his family once." 

In truth, Rhys had tried reaching out to her about it. Their strange connection allowed them to still talk mentally with one another and even visit in dreams, but since the nightmares started . . . And he'd tried asking her about it, but she'd lied and told him everything was okay. She didn't want him to worry. She didn't want anyone to worry.

"Ana, your two weeks are almost up. You'll be going back soon, and he'll see what's going on. You can't hide it from him forever," Alec said, rubbing her arm softly in an attempt to calm her. 

Ana looked at her hands and sighed. "I know."

⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⬩❖⬩ ⎯⎯⎯⎯

"Again!"

The training room was alive with activity. Bo staffs were smacking against each other, weapons were clashing, and fists and kicks were being thrown. Heavy breathing mixed with yells and shouts of triumph were heard, along with complaints from the losers. 

Ana and Izzy were near the center, weapons in hand as they sparred. Alec, Clary, and Jace watched from the sidelines, analyzing their techniques and taking note of every move the other made. Since Ana's return, they'd all been trying to figure out just how much had changed about her, from her skill in fighting to her magic that she worked on with Magnus and the Seelie Queen.

The Parabatai pairing moved in sync like always, each strike and parry acting like a mirror image to the other. You could see the fire of competition burning in their eyes as they faced off, sharing taunts with each other in hopes of making one lose their game. It didn't work, but it was funny to outsiders to hear their bickering. Because what was a sparring match between the two if not a battle of words and wits as well as a battle of muscle and machinery? 

Izzy stabbed at Ana's exposed side with her Seraph bladea killing blow if one wasn't experienced. Ana caught sight of the weapon's path and moved with angelic grace, so quickly that it took everyone by surprise. Including herself. One moment, she was right beside Izzy, and the next she was behind her Parabatai, eyes wide and heart pounding. She shook the abnormality away and held both her kindjals to Izzy's throat, winning the match.

"What the fuck was that?" Jace asked, his eyebrows disappearing into his hairline.

Ana sheathed her weapons and frowned at her body. "I don't know. One second I was there, and then I was here, and I don't know how I did it."

Clary was beaming. "Well, whatever you did, it was cool as shit." She stepped up by the two girls and wrapped her arms around them. "Now, how about we ditch the guys and go get those facials that we promised ourselves during the wars? How does that sound?"

Izzy set aside her blade and nodded. "Absolutely. I'm ready to ditch this place for now and finally relax." Izzy then nudged Ana. "Our girl over here needs one."

Ana rolled her eyes. "Way to call me ugly." Ignoring the laughs from the others, she went to agree but stopped when she saw Magnus walking over to them with that look in his eyes. "Actually, I think Magnus has plans for me that don't involve a facial."

Of course, the warlock had to make a flashy entrance. Sneaking up behind the others, he tossed a handful of glitter in the air and jumped on Alec's back, nearly knocking him to the ground. Jace choked on the floating glitter, rubbing his eyes while blinking at the warlock in surprise. Alec just sighed and held onto his husband, already used to this.

"Was the glitter necessary?" Jace asked through coughs.

Clary whacked his arm. "Glitter is always necessary, you uneducated swine!" She smiled at Magnus. "Keep doing what you're doing."

Magnus hopped off of Alec's back, not without giving his cheek a kiss, though, and sauntered over to Ana. "Sorry to steal her from you lovely ladies, but it is time for another magic lesson."

Ana noted the disappointed looks on Izzy and Clary's faces and sighed. "Sorry, girls. But we'll have a movie night tonight. Just us four. I promise."

Alec frowned. "Us four? Who's the fourth person?"

Izzy jutted her thumb at Magnus. "Him, obviously. Magnus always comes to our girl nights."

"He gives excellent boy advice." The girls nodded in agreement, Magnus flaring his hands as per usual.

Magnus wrapped an arm around Ana's shoulders. "Come on, Biscuit. Let's not keep her Royal Bitchiness waiting."

Ana groaned at the thought of seeing the Seelie Queen again but nodded. "Let's get this torture over with."

Her friends gave her smiles of encouragement as Magnus led her off toward an empty room, where the queen was waiting for them. Since discovering her fae half, the Seelie Queen had been much nicer to Ana, but that did not remove all of the bad blood the two held against each other. Especially not after . . .

"Anastasia, good to see you," the queen greeted with a bright smile. "You ready to visit the Seelie Court?"

Ana blinked. That was today? She vaguely remembered a time and place being set for when Ana would eventually be welcomed fully into the Seelie Court, but she had thought that to be a later venture. Not one so soon.

"Yes," Ana responded politely. No use in starting a fight after only a second of being in the same room as each other, right? Even though the idea was extremely appealing. "Which parts of the court will we be looking at?"

The Seelie Queen just smiled. "You will see. Come along."

She extended a hand that Magnus had to force Ana to take. With a grumble, the girl did so, nearly removing her hand just as quickly as she gave it. Holding the queen's hand made her nauseous, but Magnus took her other hand, settling her stomach just a bit. 

Ana blinked.

She was in the Seelie Court.

Sometimes it startled her just how quick and efficient portals were. She barely felt the tumbling of her stomach anymore after hours of practicing winnowing, which was the fae equivalent of portals. 

Now, Ana had seen the Seelie Court before. She'd taken many trips to it during the wars in hopes of convincing the Seelies to side with them. Of course, at the time, Ana didn't pay attention to her surroundings. But now that there was no war and she was somewhat okay with being around the Downworlders, she allowed herself to take everything in.

And my, was the court beautiful.

Ana removed her hand from the queen's as quickly as possible and looked around with a look of utter awe. Nature surrounded hertrees with twinkling pixies and nixies dancing between the branches, lush fields of flowers and the greenest grass, flowing rivers full of brightly-colored fish and singing insects. It was like walking through a dream. 

"It's beautiful, isn't it," the queen said.

Ana nodded slowly. "Very, your Highness."

But beautiful didn't seem good enough of a word to describe the court. It was . . . ethereal. Majestic and yet . . . there was a hint of danger. A promise of protection. Like if one were to cross the land, the land would cross them back. It sent a chill down Ana's spine that had her stepping closer to Magnus and caused the power within her to grow hot.

You're okay. You're okay. She reminded herself, repeating the words like a mantra in her head. It's nothing to worry about.

"Come, there's much to see and so little time." The queen made a gesture to follow her with her hand and started walking.

Ana turned to Magnus with a nervous glint in her eyes. "There's something not right . . . i can feel it."

Magnus hummed. "I know."

And with that, the two followed the queen, their senses on high alert as if they were walking head on into battle.

Because unbeknownst to them, they were.

⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⬩❖⬩ ⎯⎯⎯⎯

Ana sat in her room, knees pulled to her chest as she fiddled with the golden tendrils of magic, making them do as she pleased. Currently, she had them wrapped around a snow globe she'd gotten from some mundane town in Colorado during a mission. She tipped it over, watching with a gentle smile as the snow fell and collected at the top. Then, she switched it, the snow gently coating the little cottage in the middle of the globe. 

Since returning to the Institute, Ana had gained quite the amount of control over her abilities. Practicing day and night with Magnus and the Seelie Queen had her understanding magic better and working with it more in synch. Before, the magic controlled her, but now? 

Setting the globe down on her desk, Ana released a sigh and fell back into her bed. Her eyes settled on the ceiling, watching the shadows created by the sun shift and move across the paint. Her mind slowly drifted to her time in the Seelie Court, the same chill running down her spine. Something had been off about the place. True that Ana knew very little of it, but still. It had felt as if people were watching her, anticipating a fight. 

And maybe they had been. Ana hadn't been too nice the last time she'd been there, so she wouldn't blame them for wanting to hit her over the head or something. But along with that feeling came . . . well, she didn't know exactly. It was bad enough for both her and Magnus to be on edge, so it had to be something. Just what?

She sighed heavily and closed her eyes, wishing away all the bad thoughts. Things were going so well (aside from her nightmares). She couldn't let simple things get to her and throw her back into her usual spiral. Especially not with her meeting coming up. She didn't need Rhys to know all about her issues. He already knew too much and worried too much. She couldn't do that to him. Not when he had his own problems to sort out.

Just as she went to get up, a voice sounded in her head. But it wasn't the one she was expecting. 

Ana?

The blonde smiled softly at Feyre's voice. The two had kept in contact despite the distance via the necklace Ana had given her. They chatted often late at night about anything and everything. Ana knew of Feyre's guilt and the issues she was dealing with, and she did her best to comfort the girl. But it was hard to be comforting when you had your own demons plaguing your mind. Still, she was a friend of Feyre's and wanted the girl to feel as safe as possible.

Feyre. It's been a bit since you spoke to me. If everything okay?

There was a pause and Ana sat up in bed, prepared to winnow to the Spring Court if need be. She'd only done it two times before due to Tamlin's dislike for her. But anything to piss the furry off, right?

No . . . I don't know. The nightmares keep popping up and I . . . you're the only one I can really talk to about them since Tamlin doesn't experience them and Lucien is, well, Lucien. She hesitated and continued. Do you think you could, I don't know, visit? I think I need some girl time with someone who knows what it's like.

Ana beamed and allowed the power within her to transport her to the Spring Court. Specifically to Feyre's room, which she shared with Tamlin (ew!).

"Of course I can visit, Feyre," Ana said, startling the brunette just a bit. "I can always visit."

Feyre squealed with happiness and tackled Ana in a hug. As the blonde hugged her friend, she frowned, taking note of how skinny Feyre had grown. She'd noticed it last time, but it seemed to have worsened. Was her friend not eating?

Feyre let her go. "Oh, you have no idea how happy I am to see you. Life without you here is so boring."

Ana laughed. "Of course it is. I'm the life of the party." She sat on the desk chair as Feyre took her spot on the bed once more. "So, what's going on? Have you been eating? You look like skin and bones."

The brunette sighed. "I haven't. My nightmares are causing me to wake up in the middle of the night to throw up. Anything I eat just makes me feel sick."

Ana frowned deeply. "I didn't realize they were so bad. Have you told anyone about them? Alis? Aurelia? I'm sure Aurelia could use some of her nymph magic to help you out."

"No." Feyre picked at her fingers. "I don't know. I just feel like they'd make it a big deal and I don't want that. I feel like I kinda deserve this."

Ana stood abruptly and walked over to her friend, taking her hands in her own. "Feyre Archeron, don't you ever think that. You did what you did to survive and protect the people you love. I've done much worse, believe me, and you do not want to go down that path. It's dangerous both mentally and physically." She pulled the girl to stand and smiled softly. "Come on. I'll make you something both healthy and good for your stomach. And you're going to tell me everything."

Feyre smiled. "Okay. Thank you, Ana."

"That's what friends are for."

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⬩❖⬩ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

𝐀 𝐔 𝐓 𝐇 𝐎 𝐑 𝐒   𝐍 𝐎 𝐓 𝐄   !

⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯ ⬩❖⬩ ⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯⎯

Okay, here's the first official chapter. This is kind of just setting things up for all the shit that is to come. So let's recap.

Ana is having nightmares about being chased. By whom? Well, I feel like you guys are going to have a fun time guessing. And she's talking to Alec about them because I bet he gives good advice on shit like that. And she won't tell Rhys because she doesn't want him to worry for her, which is both sweet and stupid. But it's Ana we're talking about. Let's be real here.

Next came the trip to the court. Um . . . shit is going down with the Seelies, so be prepared. This was just a hint at what is to come, and I can tell you that it will not be good. Which is great for me and awful for you guys!

Finally, we end the chapter with Ana visiting Feyre and taking care of her like the person she is. Feyre is going to rely on Ana's help pretty heavily throughout this act and the ACOMAF book because, hello, Ana is just so amazing and helpful. Oh, and be prepared for more Tamlin slander :)

That's it for this chapter. While I was supposed to be studying for a geology exam, I wrote this instead! I'm totally gonna fail!

Please comment and vote!

Love you all!

~ a.h.

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

6.1K 132 7
Nightmares don't just happen in the dark, but in this story, they do. A female from the Court of Nightmares ends up mixing with the Inner Circle. WAR...
5.1K 303 47
Vel, an Oracle older than Prythian itself, visits the Autumn Court at the request of its High Lord. While there she gets swept up in the court's poli...
21.1K 620 33
Ash is an outcast. Even in the new world her parents and their friends have built she still manages to stand out, and not in a good way. She's never...
582 11 13
The war's aftermath hangs heavy - a landscape of grief, shattered lives, and the slow reconstruction of a world in ruins. Amidst the ashes, some find...