The Missing Piece // Scarlett...

By Onixena

"The Missing Piece" is an exciting novel of drama and tenderness that will take you through the search for th... More

In a Dysfunctional Family
Mirror image
Planning the Unpredictable
Lost in Central Park
Rescued
Mama Bear
Subtle Hints of Secrets
Storm from the Past
In the present time
Rose is at home
The Long-Awaited Day
Games and Detentions
It Can't Happen Again!
Unveiling the Smiths
Waking in Silence
Breaking the Catatonia
Between Therapy, Games, and Judgment
Revealed Secrets and a Drenched Watch
Missing
White Water
Between Demons and Smiles
School Return
Take 20! Action!
Countdown
The Echo of the Tick-Tock
Behind The Silence
Between Tenderness and Anger
Return to the Warmth of Home
Bitter and Sweet
Changes and Mad Pace
The Found Piece

Hectic Day

1.2K 45 5
By Onixena

At 6 in the morning, Colin bid farewell without being able to say goodbye to the girls, who were still peacefully asleep. Meanwhile, Scarlett began her day with the routine of preparing Cosmo's backpack and ensuring he had breakfast ready before taking him to his paternal grandmother's house.

In Rose's room, the alarm clock went off, but the girl curled up under the sheets, trying to cheat time and continue sleeping. However, Scarlett silenced the alarm with a gentle touch.

"Wake up, my princess. We have little time for you to have breakfast," Scarlett said as she approached and uncovered her eldest daughter, planting a loving kiss on her forehead. "Don't try to go back to sleep."

"I don't want to go," Rose murmured, her mouth pressed against the pillow.

"Rose, don't you want to see your friends?"

"Yes, but it's not fair. Althea gets to stay at home. Why can't I stay and play with her?"

"Because mommy has to attend several meetings," Scarlett took her little one's chin and gave her a tender kiss on the nose. "Now, be good and get ready, unless you want me to choose your clothes for you."

"Fine, but it's still not fair," Rose grumbled as she began to get up.

Scarlett headed to June's bedroom, stopping at the door to contemplate her daughter's silhouette. For the first time, she crossed the threshold of that room with the certainty that the girl sleeping in the bed was her own daughter.

"Sweetie," Scarlett whispered, trying not to startle her. "It's time to get up." She gently stroked June's back, feeling her morning noises and murmurs.

June grumbled and made little noises that made Scarlett smile. She had similarities to her older sister, after all. June's morning complaints were as soft as baby sighs, filling the room with a sense of calm.

"Come on, little one, you need to get dressed and have breakfast. We have a day full of activities ahead, like taking Rose to school and some meetings."

Although Scarlett could have left Cosmo at Colin's mother's house, taken Rose to school, and left June in Melanie's care, now that she had her daughter back, she didn't want to keep her away. She longed to build a mother-daughter connection, similar to what she had with her other two children, and for that, they needed time together. Although the meetings were important, June seemed to behave appropriately, at least for the moment, allowing Scarlett to take her along.

"Give me five more minutes, and then I'll clean up," June mumbled, still not ready to open her eyes.

Scarlett furrowed her brow, not fully understanding what June meant, but she eventually guessed that she was still half asleep.

"Sweetie," Scarlett tilted her head to give June a kiss on the head, her lips gently brushing her hair, savoring the scent of baby. "Rose is already downstairs having breakfast."

June's eyes slowly opened, her eyelashes still heavy with sleep, and she looked around, momentarily disoriented. However, as soon as her eyes met Scarlett's warm smile, reality returned to her like puzzle pieces fitting into place.

"Did you sleep well, princess?" Scarlett asked tenderly.

June nodded, although she wasn't sure if she had nightmares or not. The night had been filled with restless dreams and mixed emotions.

Scarlett set aside a pair of jeans and a purple sweater, garments that had belonged to Rose in previous years, and searched for a belt to secure the pants around June's waist. She immediately realized that she would have to go shopping; June deserved to have her own wardrobe, even if she shared some clothes with Rose.

She left June for a moment to make sure Rose wasn't causing havoc in the kitchen while she prepared some juice. A smile appeared on her face when she saw that Rose had not only prepared a glass for herself but had also done the same for her sister, demonstrating her care and consideration. Scarlett leaned in and planted a tender kiss on Rose's cheek.

"It's June," she whispered in her ear, watching as Rose's smile widened.

"Can I tell Amanda and Joshua?" she named her best friends with enthusiasm.

Scarlett hesitated; she had a meeting with her lawyer later and then another one regarding a job proposal that she found exciting and was sure the girls would love. She had arranged with Kate to stop by the office. She needed to coordinate with Harold on the legal processes they would undertake and how they would make the news public. She didn't want to rush things, knowing that once Rose shared the news, the paparazzi would be on the lookout.

"Mom has an important meeting today. Can you promise to keep all of this a secret until tomorrow?"

Rose lowered her head, her expression filled with longing and confusion.

"But she's my sister."

"I know, sweetheart, but it's important to do things right, and everything has its time. I'm only asking for one day, and tomorrow you can tell whoever you want. Understand?"

Rose sighed and lifted her head, then seemed to remember that she had her sister back instead of pondering whether she could share the news or not. As soon as she saw June appear in the kitchen doorway, she rushed toward her, embracing her with enthusiasm.

"Good morning, June!"

Scarlett let go of her coffee and coughed, surprised by the swiftness of the interaction.

June blinked but hugged Rose back, wearing a bewildered expression. Why was she calling her that when she knew her name was Althea? Her green eyes landed on Scarlett, who was still coughing, as if awaiting an explanation. However, Rose, overwhelmed by the reunion, couldn't contain herself and simply called her sister by her real name.

When Scarlett finally managed to compose herself, she masked her own feelings of distress by placing a bowl of cereal in front of June. The crunchy grains scattered in the air, and the delightful scent of cereal filled the small kitchen.

"Have breakfast, sweetheart. I didn't have time to prepare anything more elaborate today; we're a bit rushed." She then directed a look toward her older daughter, whose eyes remained fixed on her sister. "Rose, go get your backpack. As soon as June finishes, we're leaving."

June had enough time to enjoy her breakfast, while the sound of spoons clinking against the bowl filled the room. Afterward, she brushed her teeth with a toothpaste that was fresh and foamy with a strawberry and mint flavor before reuniting in the car with Cosmo and Rose.

"And Colin?" June asked.

"He had to leave for work early."

The first stop was to drop Cosmo off with Kelly, and the second was to drop off Rose. This latter stop took longer than expected when Rose insisted on staying or having June accompany her. In the end, Rose relented upon realizing she wouldn't achieve her goal, especially when her friends called for her.

June looked ahead, watching the world speed by outside the window. Her nervous fingers rubbed her thighs. Although she was oblivious to Scarlett's glances in the rearview mirror, Scarlett knew she had to find a topic of conversation.

"Today, you'll be accompanying me to some meetings. If you behave well, we can go get ice cream; there are still flavors for you to try."

June's eyes lit up with restrained excitement. "I promise!"

The first meeting was a complete success. Scarlett managed to sign a contract to start next week. The best part was that she would be offering her voice, this time in New York. Throughout the entire meeting, June remained seated, not uttering a word or moving, her eyes fixed on the horizon of opportunities. It was as if there wasn't a child present. This was the first time Scarlett had observed such behavior, which deeply concerned her because, after all, June was just a child, and this type of behavior was uncommon.

The next stop was with Harold. Scarlett parked the car at the building and took June's hand, placing a cap and sunglasses on her to ensure that no one, not even in the building, recognized her more than necessary.

She didn't have to wait long in the waiting room; the receptionist offered to stay with the child, but Scarlett politely declined and escorted June inside. Harold was surprised that his client had brought company, but he didn't say anything and welcomed them. "My mother was busy, so before taking her with her to run some errands, I preferred she came with me," Scarlett responded, aware of the questions the lawyer would surely be asking himself. Besides, she didn't want to leave her with Kerry since June didn't know Colin's mother. She sat her down on the couch and crouched down to look into her daughter's eyes. "Sweetie, I'll play some music for you while we talk about very boring things, okay?"

June nodded, and Scarlett lent her headphones, selecting a playlist and hitting play. She kissed her on the forehead and returned to sit in front of Harold.

"So, where do we go from here?"

"They are at the police station being interrogated; they want to determine whether they are the culprits or just another victim who decided to adopt her," Scarlett nodded and encouraged him to continue.

"Then they will send them escorted, whatever it may be, to proceed with the investigation. As for the legal paperwork, I presented irrefutable evidence of her identity, and I don't think it will take long to obtain all the rights, as you never gave them up." A call interrupted the conversation, and Harold, with a guilty expression, answered. Finally, he hung up. "I'm sorry, with this whole case, I can't afford not to answer. There is no record of adoption, Scarlett."

"What do you mean?"

"They verified the data and found no record of her being adopted, so the paperwork I sent is not necessary, except perhaps to update the information related to June," he said with a smile.

"Can I take her to the pediatrician then?"

Harold nodded.

"What worries me, Harold, is that this could blow up at any moment. I can't keep her hidden for long; people will start talking when they see me with another girl, and I really don't want to keep her a secret. Rose isn't, neither is Cosmo, and I don't want her to be."

The lawyer nodded, showing his understanding.

"You're right. I'll prepare a statement for the press, and that should help calm the media frenzy." Harold shifted uncomfortably in his seat and occasionally glanced at the quiet girl on the couch. "Whether we like it or not, once the trial begins, this will become public, but given the seriousness of the case and the fact that a minor is involved, it will be held behind closed doors." He looked directly at his client, noticing her relief. "The inspector who handled June when you picked her up informed me that they captured the man who tried to take her in Central Park. The trial date is in two weeks, and they need June to testify."

Scarlett looked at her daughter. "She's just a child, Harold."

"I'll do my best to ensure they respect that and avoid any confrontation between them. But she has been summoned to testify, and her testimony will be crucial. When she's done, there will be one less depraved person on the streets, Scarlett."

June remained silent, immersed in the music flowing through her headphones. Her gaze was lost in the horizon of notes and lyrics that only she could hear. An internal nervousness began to agitate her legs, and her bottom moved restlessly on the couch. The morning liquids, the cool water, the creamy milk, and the freshly squeezed orange juice seemed to rush into her stomach in an instant.

"Sweetie, are you feeling okay?" Scarlett asked with concern and affection in her voice.

June didn't respond immediately; her lips remained sealed, and her eyes were still lost in the world of music.

Scarlett got up with the urgency of a worried mother and approached her daughter. With tenderness, she touched June's cheek to divert her gaze from the melody that enveloped her. Then, with gentle hands, she removed the headphones that connected June to her own world.

"Sweet child, are you okay?" Scarlett repeated her question, this time closer, her eyes searching for signs of distress or pain on June's face.

"Yes, ma... Scarlett," June replied, her voice trembling, thinking that all her effort had been in vain.

"What's happening, baby?" Scarlett observed her daughter's restless movements more closely as the girl shook her head. "Let's go to the bathroom, honey." Concerned, she gently picked up June in her arms.

Later, they returned to the office, where Harold agreed to call her if there were any updates on the case.

Scarlett secured June in the car and took a seat in front of her, watching her closely.

"Sweetie, why didn't you tell me you needed to go to the bathroom?"

June looked at her mother with innocent eyes. "I was behaving well so I could get ice cream later," she replied, as if it were the most logical thing in the world.

Scarlett blinked at the unexpected response. "What does that have to do with it, darling? How could going to the bathroom be misbehaving?"

June tilted her head, confused by the question. "Because I didn't know the place, I didn't know where the bathroom was, and I didn't want to interrupt the meeting. I thought you'd get angry if you noticed I needed to go to the bathroom and that you'd deny me the ice cream."

During the next few minutes of driving, Scarlett pondered her daughter's response, concerned about the complexity of June's emotions. She looked in the rearview mirror with a lump in her throat.

"So, for you, behaving well means not drawing attention to yourself?" Scarlett asked, trying to understand her daughter's inner world.

June nodded solemnly, as if she had revealed an important secret. "I want you to tell me, sweetheart. If you need to go to the bathroom, or eat, or you're thirsty, I want you to tell me everything if I don't notice. To me, that's not misbehaving; those are basic needs."

Once they arrived at The Outset's elegant offices, Scarlett skillfully maneuvered to park directly in the private parking spot. Her gaze was determined, aware of the importance of avoiding being caught by the relentless paparazzi cameras. Meanwhile, June walked beside her, her curious eyes marveling at every corner she encountered.

"I have puzzles, coloring books, and paper for you to draw on while Mom talks to Kate," Scarlett said in a soft voice, unaware of the curious statement she had made.

June furrowed her brow, her little shoulders shrugging, assuming there had been a misunderstanding.

"You can stay in this room. The bathroom is right here. But, above all, sweetie, do not leave this room, okay?" Scarlett looked directly at June, her eyes reflecting a mix of concern and affection. Then, she pointed to the small room separated by delicate glass— "I'll be in there with Kate. If you need me, I want you to come right away."

June nodded solemnly, taking in Scarlett's instructions. Once she had a clear idea of where everything was, she sat on the floor with a blank sheet of paper before her, her small hands eager to capture everything she had experienced in these strange days.

Scarlett strategically settled herself in the room to keep an eye on her daughter. Despite her confidence in the building's security, it wasn't the first time she had brought her children, including Kate, to these offices. However, her maternal instinct kept her vigilant at all times.

"We have a couple of scheduled interviews. Two of them will be online, but three will be in person," Kate announced, reviewing the upcoming events.

Afterward, they discussed the laboratory report and the new beauty projects they were working on.

June got up, rubbing her nose and leaving it smeared with colors. Her gaze shifted towards where Scarlett was, deeply engrossed in an important conversation. Then, her eyes wandered to the door, where an assortment of water seemed to beckon her due to her unquenchable thirst. With the desire not to interrupt Scarlett's work, she decided to pour herself a glass of water. However, when an unfamiliar voice startled her, the water in her glass trembled in her hands.

"What are you doing here? And who are you?"

June could barely take a sip and looked at the unfamiliar woman with astonishment and fear. She was about to respond, but the woman grabbed her clothing and pulled her out of the room. In that moment, the memory of her promise to Scarlett, not to leave that place, became an emotional anchor that drove her to struggle for her freedom.

Hi! I hope you've had a fantastic week! I'm excited once again to share a new chapter, and I hope you enjoy the reading. The next update will be available either tomorrow or on Sunday. Thanks from the bottom of my heart for your support! ❤️😊

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.7K 1.9K 65
After being kicked out of boarding school and being forced to live with the woman who left her when she was only 6, Madeline has to over come the cha...
12.3K 1.2K 27
With an uneasy peace with Duir born from a startling revelation, Madeline begins her third and final trial in the midst of a war that has been waged...
14.5K 612 26
Vallejo Series #1 Muffin Date Started: 12/27/2023 Ended: --/--/----
81K 2.1K 31
A little AU where Lucifer and Alastor secretly loves eachother and doesn't tell anyone about it, and also Alastor has a secret identity no one else k...