Smeared

By Prickly_Thorns

A pair of fraternal twins are taken into a prestigious noble family to maintain good face in the snobbish ari... More

Smeared
×1×
×2×
×3×
×4×
×5×
×6×
×7×
×8×
×9×
×10×
×11×
×12×
×13×
×14×
×15×
×16×
×17×
×19×
×20×
×21×
×22×
×23×
×24×
×25×
×26×
×27×

×18×

2.5K 182 31
By Prickly_Thorns

"Do you mind?" I rolled my eyes as I picked up my pace for a third time with the intention of putting distance between us as I made my way through the streets.

"No not at all." Came a cocky response as his long legs fell into stride next to me.

I paused in my tracks placing my hands on my hips. "Why are you following me?"

"Who says that I am following you? I simply happen to be heading in the same direction."

"Well then off you go." I moved aside with the intent to let him pass but of course he did not.

"I do not see the need to."

Letting out another frustrated huff, I turned back and stomped off, but the Duke had other ideas and once again fell into step with me.

"You know your efforts are pointless. You should just answer my question." Cassius gave an amused smile at my antics.

I shot him a glare before looking forward again still not saying anything.

I had unfortunately bumped into the Duke as I was making my way to work and naturally, I chose to ignore him. My mind was still racing with the memories from the last time I had seen him.

Cassius who had sensed this minor change in the way I was treating him discided to ask me why I was being even more cold than usual to him, to which I had yet to reply to.

"Something clearly happened." He added in.

I let out a soft breath, "A lot of things have happened but I do not think I am in any mood to talk about it especially to the likes of you."

"Have I offended you in anyway?" He tilted his head slightly.

I once again paused in my tracks and looked back at him, my eyes widened in disbelief at his question, "Ha... You can't be serious right now. Have you offended me? Did you really just ask me that?"

"My Lady?" Cassius seemed confused at my reaction which just added to my anger.

"I honestly cannot believe you right now. Do not act all innocent and pretend that you know nothing. I am getting tired of this."

"Tell me who you are." His voice was calm yet stern.

I could not believe the audacity of this man. The sky began to darken above us as a storm brewed.

"I need to know because surprisingly, I am at a complete loss when it comes to you."

I watched him closely, analysing his features for any hint of a lie or him making fun of me.

Nothing.

My eyes widened as it dawned on me, "You really have no idea?" I mumbled in disbelief.

He did not say anything or even move but his eyes confirmed it. Slowly the first few drops of rain began to fall seeping into our clothes but neither of us moved to seek shelter.

I started to laugh softly. A sorrowful sound filtered out by the rain, "Of course you don't know who I am when you never even bothered to try." I turned to leave, my now soaked clothes uncomfortably clinging to my body.

His hand grabbed my arm stopping me, "Tell me. I am trying now."

I yanked my arm away, "Why should I? So you can ruin my life more than you already have? Go figure it out yourself if you are that desperate."

"Fuck." he swore and ran a hand through his wet hair pushing it out of his gorgeous face.

This time he did not stop me nor follow me as I left.

My work day was cut short due to the bad weather. I was fortunately still paid for the full hours lifting my mood from my somber encounter with the Duke.

I still could not get my head around the situation but the more that I thought about it, the more it began to make sense. The way he acted around me and treated me was greatly different compared to how I was treated at the Waisend estate. I was treated like two different people because to him, I was two different people. I was the awful Faintree he married and the homeless looking lady shovelling horse poop all day who he felt pity for.

The rain began to fall harder as I made my way up the hill back to the estate. I could see the condensation from my breath form in front of my face with every few steps. I was cold and all I wanted and needed at that very moment was a bath.

I pushed through the heavy front doors to the manor which thankfully this time were unlocked. I felt myself dripping water all over the freshly cleaned floors as I began to make my way towards my room.

"You there!" A voice called out stopping me. I could hear the hint of annoyance laced in it as the person approached me.

I looked back to see a footman heading towards me; in his white gloved hands a letter.

"Do you have any respect dripping water all over the floors like some dog?" He rudely spat before roughly shoving the letter towards me and retracting his hand as quickly as possible as soon as the envelope reached me like I had some disease, "You better clean up your mess." He added in before I could say anything and left.

Rolling my eyes I looked down at the letter that now sat in my wet hands, the rain water damping the places I held. I slowly flipped the letter over and glanced at the sender's name.

Lady Faintree.

I sighed. What is it this time? I have been doing everything she has asked...

"It cannot be possible! Surely someone must know where she is?!" I heard a familiar voice approaching.

It was that girl from the other night. The beautiful yet annoying girl who seems to have the biggest problem with me.

Not in the mood to deal with her, I quickly began to make my way back to my room.

"I apologise Lady Edith. Perhaps she is staying elsewhere." A servant responded.

"Not acceptable. Take me to the Duke. He and I need to have a little word." I overheard her as I rounded the corner.

I let out a silent breath of relief as I finally reached my room and placed the unopened letter on the desk. I opted to first go for a warm bath before I did anything.

Once I was clean and comfortable, I reached for the letter. Breaking the seal I slowly pulled it out as my eyes began to scan over the contents.

A long flash of lighting struck as the letter fell to the ground. My heart fell to my stomach as the words pounded in my head.

Rourke's condition had gotten worse.

The letter demanded that I send more money to help him but it also stated that he might not have that much longer to live.

Tears pricked the corners of my eyes.

This was not true.

Rourke was strong. He was getting better. The treatment was working.

Lady Faintree was lying.

This had to be lie.

I needed to see him.

I had to see him to prove it.

I had to see my brother with my own eyes this very moment.

Another jolt of lightning momentarily lit up the sky followed by the loud crackling thunder causing the windows to shake.

I had to go and see Rourke as soon as possible.

I stormed out my room and rushed down the hall ways looking for anyone that would help me. I could see a servant angrily moping the floor in front of the main enterance.

"Excuse me, which way to the stables?"

The girl momentarily glanced up at me before rolling her eyes and going back to her task ignoring me.

I should have expected as much.

I guess I would have to find my own way. Fortunately with my determination I was able to find the stables after a good thirty minutes. I looked around for any assistance but there seemed to be no one at present.

"You should not be in here." A voice came behind startling me.

I turned around to see a young stable hand. "I need to get to the capital immediately."

The boy gave me an unimpressed look, "Of course you do."

"I need a horse." I continued.

"Not going to happen." He pushed past me.

"It is an order." In desperation I tried to use my rank.

"I do not take orders from someone like you." He rolled his eyes and slipped a carrot to one of the horses nearby.

"I am the Duchess-" I began to protest.

"I do not care. You may hold the title but you hold no authority in these stables."

"I just need one horse." I tried to reason.

"Do you think I would allow you of all people take one of the Waisend horses let alone into a thunderstorm no less?" He scoffed.

"I am desperate." I continued to push, "Please."

"Get lost."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

104 18 8
King Uther of Forland is old and failing. His grandson and heir, Prince Richard, lives the good life: anything that gives him an adrenaline rush. He...
433 51 52
One planet. Two kingdoms. Two rival families. The Maxwells and the Daltons. War has dominated planet Earth and split it's citizens in two, and it is...
31 0 10
❝ I've seen the future. Your mate is none other than a shifter. A werewolf but she is also the daughter of the werewolf king❞ the vampire king let ou...
112K 5K 23
*Sequel to Submitting To Him* Queen Danni and King Jacen have searched the country far and wide for their baby girl for years never giving up hope...