Home Sweet Girl

By SleepingBeau_

Will there ever be a home as sweet as she? Homelessness is all Maryanne knows. Yet, sheltered by her fairly o... More

Author's Note
Chapter | One
Chapter | Two
Chapter | Three
Chapter | Four
Chapter | Five
Chapter | Six
Chapter | Seven
Chapter | Eight
Chapter | Nine
Chapter | Ten
Chapter | Eleven
Chapter | Twelve
Chapter | Thirteen
Chapter | Fourteen
Chapter | Fifteen
Chapter | Sixteen
Chapter | Seventeen
Chapter | Eighteen
Chapter | Nineteen
Chapter | Twenty one
Chapter | Twenty two
Chapter | Twenty three
Chapter | Twenty four
Chapter | Twenty five
Chapter | Twenty six
Chapter | Twenty seven
Chapter | Twenty eight
Chapter | Twenty nine
Chapter | Thirty
Chapter | Thirty one
Chapter | Thirty two
Chapter | Thirty three
What is going on?
Chapter | Thirty four
Chapter | Thirty five
Chapter | Thirty six
Chapter | Thirty seven
Chapter | Thirty eight

Chapter | Twenty

828 39 8
By SleepingBeau_

Angeline

"Why do I have to go to the doctors?". Mary says. I look at her through the mirror. She's wearing a cute outfit I dressed her in—a simple red t-shirt and dark wash shorts. I did her hair in a braided low ponytail.

"Honey, you're due for a checkup. It's protocol for everyone to see a doctor at some point in their life. I want you to be healthy". She's quiet— looking out the window. Ever since her diagnosis, I'm apprehensive. It's best to get it done as soon as possible because a social worker is coming by later this week to see how well Maryanne is adjusting. It has been five days and  I can see she's been opening up more to us specifically Dario. Those two are like peas in a pod. I wish she could be like that with me. Patience is a virtue.

"I am healthy," she mumbles.

"You are! And with the doctor's help we can keep it that way," I pay attention to the roads. It's a bright and windy day. I'm looking forward to taking her to the beach soon.

The doctor's office is in a complex building with multiple suites. We take the elevator to the third floor, where all the medical offices are located. I was lucky enough to match her up with one of the best pediactics in town.

We are thirty minutes early for her appointment. I'd expect her to be nervous, and restless however, she appears to be calm at this moment. Her eyes are set on the movie that's showing. I still can't believe that she is here. I have to pinch myself whenever I look at her.

Later, we are called in. As instructed, they weigh and measure her. I can confirm that Mary is four feet and five and a half inches tall and weights fifty two pounds. She's a little thing. she sits on the examining table and observes the room, swinging her legs.

"Where would you like to go after we're done?". She shrugs. I have a lot of free time, I would like to spend it with her.

They took her pressure, she did an eye exam and a urine test, leading up to meeting her pediatrician. "Hello, young lady. Your mom says this is your first time getting a checkup," He  says. Mary gives him a funny look, then stares at me.

"Legal guardian," I correct.

"Oh! my apologies," he glances at his paper again. "In a way, you two look alike. Or maybe I need my eyes checked again." He jokes. "Let's get started, shall we?".

He goes through the normal procedures as far as checking her heart, lungs, ears and body corrdination. Everything was fine up until the moment he asked her to lay down. I can see the discomfort all over face. She squirms when his gloved hands reaches her abdomen area.

"Does it hurt?" He ask her. She shakes her head and folds her mouth tightly. "Okay, all done!" She sits up and put her head down.

"Sweetheart." I whisper. She looks up at me. "You okay?" I mouth. She stares at me then looks back down. I don't know what happened in the past and it makes me a bit irritated. For her comfort, I will be switching to a female doctor.

The doctor informs me that she isn't showing any signs of puberty as of yet. It's not too concerning because she nonetheless, has a few years ahead to start it.

"What about her height, is it normal to be this small at her age?" I ask.

"It's not uncommon, however a poor diet and an unstable environment is likey to contribute to stunting her growth. She is in the lower percentile for weight and height at her age. In general, I can say she is fairly healthy. She's even gained two pounds since her last weigh in, but she definitely has ways to go. I suggest giving her smoothies and shakes every now and then. How is her appetite?".

"It could be better. I started serving her food on portion plates and it seems to be working so far," I explain.

"That's completely fine. Rewarding her with sweets also helps. If she continues to eat well and take her vitamins her anemia will lighten up. I believe she can grow a few inches before she reaches the age of eighteen". Hearing him say this puts my mind at ease, It gives me drive to know that I am doing right by her.

"I'll leave you," he says. "The nurse will be in to administer the shots. See you all next time," He walk out. Mary looks at me big eyed.

I completely forgot about that.

-||-

"How many?" I ask the nurse while scanning the tray of needles.

"I am giving her four today and the next visit will be another round of four. The dosages will decrease after her third visit," She adjust her gloves and opens up a fresh towelette.

"Alright sweetie. I'm gonna need you to stay still for me". Mary looks at me in the state of frantic. Next, whimpering emerges.

Without any hesitation, I immediately come to her side,"It's okay honey, I'm right here," I rub her back.

"I don't want it," her eyes well up.

"Is it okay if she sits on my lap?" I ask the nurse.

"Sure, she needs to be unmovable"  I sit on the examine table and to adjust her in my lap and she challenge me.

"Come on baby, it'll be fast," I assure.

"No, I'll die!" She yell.

"What? you won't die sweetie, this will make you stronger and healthy," the nurse says. Now, Maryanne is officially crying and begging—struggling in my hold. It breaks my heart. She thinks that we're trying to hurt her. As I was trying to contain her, I didn't notice that the  nurse brought in another person.

"Mrs. Morello, I need you to hold her as best you can. We will be giving her one on each arm and one on each thigh. Okay?" I nod, getting her in a position. I roll up her pants and hold her arms together, so it is difficult for her to move around. The nurse rubs the wipes on her arms and legs. Mary cry and scream and it's breaking my heart.

I watch as they quickly prick the needles in her flesh. She flinches and cries with each injection. As soon as they were done, I turn her around to face me. We praise her, but she is not having it. "Look baby, they give you pink bandaids. It's your favorite color". She cries harder. I bet she feels betrayed.

"È 'fatto, dolcezza. No more." I coo, rocking and patting her back. She sobs in my ear. I stand up with her in my arms pacing the room until her cries level down into whimpering. I rub circles on her back and whisper sweet words.

"It's okay, baby. You're okay. I'm sorry," I kiss her continuously on the head. I was not prepared for her to react this way. "Andiamo." I grab my purse, still holding her. I walk up to the front desk to schedule her another appointment. In the meantime, I get looks from other people in the area. The front desk assistant hands me a green lollipop for Mary. She has her head buried near my neck. "Thank you, enjoy the rest of your day".

I made it to the parking lot with her legs wrapped around my waist. I open the car door with my free hand. I was ready to set her down, but I think she could feel me putting her down because she immediately clings to me."No," She whines.

"Okay, okay" I hoist her up. "Honey, I have to put you in the car, so we can leave. Okay?" I say gently. She whines but complies. I put her in the seat and buckle her up. She's so small. The poor thing, her hair is sticking up. I even out the fly-aways and hand her the lollipop. She gazes up at me with her teary cinnamon brown eyes. I could melt.

"You did so good. I'll get you whatever you want baby. What can I get for you?" I coo. She wipes her eyes.

"Ice cream," she says softly, putting her fingers in her mouth.

"Okay, Piccola. Anything for you".

-|||-

It is after ten o clock. Maryanne became super tired after getting her shots, I had to hold her head up during dinner so she didn't face plant in the food. I'm laying down in bed thinking about how little she was acting. Although, I didn't mind it at all. It surprised me when she clinged and didn't want me to put her down. If not the circumstance, It would be a joy to hold her all day. I'm not sure what it all means, but I hope it's a step closer to our relationship.

I get up to check on my husband. He's been at work all day. When he arrived home he briefly greeted us, then went straight to his office. I opens the door and see that the office lights are off. My princess follows me through the dim hallway, the light that shines throughout the house is the kitchen. I find Dario standing by the island.

"Hey, my dearest love. I thought you were sleeping," he is stuffing his face with the ravioli I made.

"I tried". It's hard to sleep when you've grown accustomed to sleeping next to someone. "I'm going to check on the little one," I say.

"Mmm," he wipes his mouth. "What is it? the fourth time you've checked on her?" he chuckle.

"Second, for your information," I say, walking away from him.

"Fine, I'll go with you," he set his plate down in the sink.

We go in and the night-light gleams of soft yellow light in her bedroom. Dario and I discover her small body curled up on the floor in the long sleep shirt."My poor baby," I say. I go over to pick her up then Dario stops me.

"Let me" I back off as he gently picks her up putting her in bed and kiss her forehead. I tuck her in and noticed her bonnet is tossed to the side exposing the two braids I did. I remind myself to invest in a silk pillowcase.

"How did she end up on the floor?" He whispers.

"This happens every night. I don't know why she does it. It could be a coping thing," I say.

"Do you think she falls out or sleep walks? Maybe we need to get her railings. Just for security".

"Im not sure I don't want her think we're babying her. But I'll keep it my mind if it continue to happen". He looks at me with a grin "What?" I ask.

"Whatever you say".

I slowly shut her door, taking one last look at her.

"What's on your mind baby?". He asked

"Nothing," I say. he hums. He knows it's not true. You can't hide anything from a lawyer.

"Have you told them yet?" Dario ask fluffing the pillow. I toss around in the covers to find my comfort spot.

"No," I pause and Dario gestures 'why'. "Not yet," I huff. It's a lot to take in."Did you say anything to yours?".

"No...because you won't let me," he folds his arms, and looks like he's pouting.

"I want her to bond with us first before she meets any of our family," I admit.

"Angie, they need to know eventually".

"I know, I know. but I'm not ready... She's not ready". Now that she's finally here, I'm very protective of her.

"Well, I think she likes us already," he smiles.

"Probably you more," I roll my eyes. Dario thinks he can bush off the fact that she's his favorite... for now.

He suddenly starts sniffing me, guiding his nose close to my neck, "Do I smell... Jealousy?"

"Notte, Cane," I pat him on the head and turn my side lamp off.

It grows silent, until Dario opens his mouth again.

"By the way, she thinks I'm cool- Ops that was supposed to be our little secret," I hear him covering his mouth.

"What?!" I turn over to the look at him.

"Love you," he pecks my lips and turn away.

●●●

"Congratulations! You are indeed pregnant. Twelve weeks to be exact," The doctor said, removing her gloves.

The couple embrace each other with tearful joy. The woman was reminded days prior of how much of a nervous wreck she was staring at the ten positive tests in front of her. She was not showing any signs or symptoms for the past months, until the day she stated experienced dizziness and nausea. Her doubt convinced her to take five more, thankfully her husband reasoned with her to visit their third fertility doctor for confirmation.

"Is this really happening?" She cried.

"You make me so happy. I'm going to be a dad,". He kissed his wife and rubbed her stomach.

"I'm so happy for you both. We can see the gender of the baby today If you'd like".

"Yes! We would love that. Do you think it's going to be a boy or a girl?" the husband said with excitement.

"I want it be a surprise. It doesn't matter what gender, as long as they are healthy," she sat up from the exam chair.

"You're right my dear," he kissed her hand.

"Alright, I'll be right back," the doctor left the couple sitting in awe.

"After eight long years, we are finally having a family of our own. I love you," he kisses his wife again.

"I love you too...and our little bean," the woman looked down and gently patted her belly.

"I can't wait to meet you," she whispered.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

482K 5.4K 16
what happens when a small 19 year old girl, Ellie, hears a nice Apartment with 3, 24 year old men, all being triplets. with Ellie's bubbly and cute p...
828K 14.1K 37
Ellie is a 30 year old woman with a very troubled past. To cope with her past, she frequently enters "little space". Ellie has never had a caregive...
15.4K 475 58
She lived her life as if it was normal and everything was okay. But in reality, that was never the case, She was struggling. Her life wasn't as easy...
150K 7.3K 40
Rhys Hanover is a classic rich douche. He sleeps around with women, he gets by with daddy's money , lived in a gated community and plays a sport. B...