The Art of Thrillers: Behind...

By WritersPHThriller

The Art of Thrillers: Behind the Shadows Understanding the art of heart-pumping twists, suspense, and intrigu... More

Introduction
I. Pillars of a Great Thriller
1. High Stakes
3. Impossible Odds
4. Moral Struggle
5. Tick-and-Clock
6. Menace
7. Characters
II. How to Write the Greatest Thriller Novel?
1. Start at the End.
2. Don't be Afraid of Tropes.
3. Select a Character who has a Strong Desire to Learn More.
4. Add Complexity to Your Victim.
5. Build a Setting that Provides Themes and Motivations
6. Good thrillers are made with good editing.
Final Thoughts
III. Going Deeper
1. Understanding the Thriller Genre
2. Crafting a Compelling Plot
3. Developing Complex Characters
4. Establishing Pacing and Tension
5. Building Atmospheric Settings
6. Utilizing Suspenseful Techniques
7. Research and Authenticity
8. Balancing Action and Emotion
9. The Art of Misdirection
10. The Importance of Editing and Revision
IV. Need Inspiration?
1. The Emergence of Thriller Novels
2. Impact and Influential Individuals
3. Perspectives and Future Developments
Conclusion
References

2. Unity of the Opposite

16 2 0
By WritersPHThriller

Second tip from James's book is Unity of Opposites.

It describes a circumstance in which a character is stuck and unable to escape. The challenge is to escape the villain or anything else that has them trapped in the situation. 

Giving your character a task that requires them to find a solution to a problem is one of the simplest ways to accomplish this.

For instance, in thrillers, the main character is frequently a police officer, federal agent, or other figure who needs to stop a dangerous villain. Your characters must be fully invested in the conflict they are dealing with.

I lost count of the number of times I've read or seen a haunted house story when a family merely moves into a home before discovering that it's haunted. And while I watch the story, I find myself wondering, "Why don't they just stay at a hotel?" Why don't they simply stay with a friend? Why don't they merely relocate to a different home? 

If you are writing a story like that, be sure that there is a valid explanation for 'why lock-in number three' is seemingly necessary because frequently there isn't one.

Use these questions as a guide for your outlines:

1. Is it really necessary to use haunted houses or buildings to create a thrill?

2. Aside from haunted places, where can I make it possible for a character to experience the rush, stress, and excitement of getting out of them?

3. What elements (it can be a human or an animal, living or non-living) should I add to make it challenging for the characters to solve the problem?

4. How long should it take to solve such problems?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

84 20 22
Welcome, dear readers, to my world of espionage, secrets, and danger that lurks in the shadows. With each turn of the page in my thrilling diary, you...
ESCAPE By Alex Pilalis

Mystery / Thriller

3.2K 380 11
* An intense psychological thriller * All Andi Masterson wanted was to have a fun day out with her friends to celebrate her 19th Birthday. The Escap...
100K 1.8K 44
Caged, abused and tortured, Ariana's life had been a living hell until she was forced to spy on the most dangerous mafia in the whole world, La Cosa...
22.7K 3.7K 61
[The Wattys 2021 Shortlisted Finalist] One case, two detectives, three friends, and a thousand emotions. Sometimes nothing is a coincidence, but th...