I Reincarnated as Louis XVI t...

By KageNishi

A man playing a history game falls asleep and wakes up in the Palace of Versailles. To his shock, the man was... More

Prologue: Welcome to France
The Man, Louis XVI
Box of Versailles
Let's Dance at the Ball
Red Rain Incident
Bourbon Reforms
I Will Conquer, with the People
Palais-Royal
Dawn of a New Era
Attitude Survey Results
In the Swaying Carriage
Throbbing
The Start of Reforms
Bath Arc
Brother-in-Law!
17 Years Old
Blacksnake
Whereabouts of Foreign Currency
Be a Sword, Be a Shield
Academy of Sciences
Doctor Sanson
Education
Kraków
Enriching Meals
Operation Stork
New World Disturbance
Villainous Intentions Righteous Opportunity
1st International French Fashion Fair
PAPAMAMA
If I Shouted Too Much Love in the Middle of Versailles, They Got Mad at Me
Swedish Noblemen
His Majesty's Holiday
Made in Taiwan
Tuscany
Operation Leviathan
Amadeus
Christmas
Bourbon Doctrine
Locomotive
How About Spices?
Last Kingdom
Fire on the Other Shore
Looming Threat
2.20
Class
Economic Index
Anti-Britain Grand Alliance
Opening Moves for Dominance

Squirming

495 14 2
By KageNishi

(179)

"Rider"

☆ ☆ ☆

"Is it time soon?"

"Yes, Your Majesty, everyone who already has an invitation is gathering."

"Alright, I've had some delicious tea, so let's go, Antoinette!"

"Yes, let's go!"

Finally, the international event is about to begin. At the 1st International French Fashion Fair, domestic nobles and influential figures, as well as foreign dignitaries, are arriving one after another at the Bourbon Palace, waiting for us. Security measures are in place... If anything happens, the gendarmes and guards will rush to our aid. In fact, as we walked from the waiting area towards the central square of the palace exhibition, we were being protected by a team of ten guards.

Daniel Polnareff, who has been fulfilling his duty as a guard since the Red Rain Incident, has been promoted from corporal to second lieutenant. Time flies.

I shudder to think what would have happened if Daniel hadn't rushed to our aid at that time. In addition to his accomplishments during the Red Rain Incident, he went on to study at the military academy and graduated this year as a second lieutenant, returning to Versailles as a guard once again. I feel a sense of destiny.

"But still, it's reassuring to have Second Lieutenant Daniel as our guard..."

"Well, we have received instructions from the Office of Internal Special Investigations to protect Your Majesty as guards. And it is a great honor to be able to serve Your Majesty in this way."

"Alright, if anything happens, we'll leave it to you. Please take care of us."

We are always on guard for remnants of Cardinal Rohan's faction launching an attack, but terrorism is difficult to restrain. It would be a problem if any issues were to arise during the fashion-related event that Antoinette has been looking forward to... If there are fools who intend to harm Antoinette, I will defeat them all with just my fingertips.

...or so I thought, but I'm not strong enough to defeat them with just my fingertips, and I can't use a certain divine fist (Shinken), so that's probably impossible. I must protect Antoinette at a moment's notice. We won't let anyone interfere with us. Keeping that in mind, Antoinette and I were walking to the venue for the opening ceremony. It only takes three minutes, but the atmosphere feels a bit tense... Perhaps because she's not fond of such tense atmospheres, Antoinette expressed her feelings.

"But still... the excitement of seeing various outfits with my own eyes... So amazing..."

"That's right... Are there any outfits that you're particularly interested in, Antoinette?"

"Yes, of course! I want to see Austrian dresses... and I also want a new riding outfit!"

"A riding outfit?"

"Yes, recently, there's a trend for riding outfits with padding to protect the body in case of a fall! Especially, Dutch-made riding outfits are said to be of the highest quality, so I want to see them!"

Antoinette's top choice for outfits seems to be riding attire. She hasn't been riding as much lately, but she really loves it. She received a scolding letter from Archduchess Maria Theresa once, saying, "If you ride too much from a young age, you won't be able to have children!" But that's how much she loves horseback riding. In historical records, her love for horseback riding led her to become deeply involved in horse racing, accumulating debts of tens of thousands of livres. It's no wonder her suitability attribute in a certain game is "Riding."

For the commoners, the cost isn't that high, but when it comes to outfits for nobility and the upper class... they naturally include additional decorations, making them expensive. Outfits for riding, which are worn on occasions like National Day and parades, can be quite pricey, with some costing over 250 livres... Furthermore, while most outfits can be cleaned if they get dirty, there are some that can't be washed and have to be discarded in such cases.

Since seeing Cugnot's gun carriage, Antoinette secretly harbored a sense of rivalry, thinking that automobiles made with steam engines might someday run faster than horses... Even recently, she mentioned wanting to compete seriously with Cugnot's vehicle, as it's considered a rival to horses. It seemed that further improvements were needed for the steam-powered vehicles to be suitable for actual combat operations, so I advised waiting until then. Additionally, due to a lecture from Archduchess Maria Theresa, Antoinette has refrained from riding until after the birth of her first child.

"Alright, after the speech is over, shall we go look at riding outfits together?"

"Sure! Lord Auguste, you should come and see too!"

"Mm-hmm, I also want to try on some new outfits... Well then, let's continue our conversation after we arrive at the venue."

The opening ceremony is finally about to begin. In the palace square, many dignitaries were seated in chairs, waiting. As I looked around, I saw people wearing various costumes. Not only are domestic bankers and investors present, but participants have also come from the Kingdom of Prussia. They seemed to be former French Huguenots who had been expelled from their homeland by the Edict of Fontainebleau and had become naturalized Prussian citizens.

This time, we visited as guests in consideration of their wishes. Thanks to the Bourbon reforms, our Kingdom of France has removed religious constraints. In the future, living in our country will promote the development of France as one nation, regardless of denomination or race.

This caught the attention of the Huguenots who had moved to the Kingdom of Prussia, and they were quite surprised when France admitted that the Edict of Fontainebleau was a mistake and apologized for the trouble it had caused to so many people. After the reforms were implemented, columns in newspapers and public proclamations were used to persuade the people over time to address religious and racial issues.

Opinion surveys and discussions were conducted, and with the cooperation of the favorable sentiment in the southern regions of France, except for areas where Huguenot persecution had been severe, a phased repatriation project for Huguenots was initiated. So far, around 1.200 people have returned through the repatriation project, with many of them being concentrated in the Auvergne region in south-central France. Because many of them had experience in the silk weaving industry, the fashion industry has experienced rapid growth in recent years.

However, this issue is not easy to resolve quickly. Many problems and challenges remain. In the northern regions, where Catholics make up the majority, there are still many skeptical voices and arguments. Nevertheless, if the reforms are proven effective and successful, more people will consider returning to France. To support such individuals, within a few weeks, discussions will be held with the Kingdom of Prussia to formally begin the repatriation project for former French Huguenots.

Now, amidst the piercing gazes of the people, an actress from the Comédie-Française (Royal Theater) who is serving as the MC took a deep breath and began the opening ceremony's address with a loud voice.

"From this point onward, we commence the opening ceremony of the 1st International French Fashion Fair! First, we have a greeting from His Majesty the King. Ladies and gentlemen, please lend your ears."

As expected from someone from the Comédie-Française, her voice was clear and resonated far more than mine ever could. I secretly wish that she could sing an anime song with that voice, but I started my speech, determined not to be outdone by her.

"Ladies and gentlemen gathered here... Welcome to the Bourbon Palace... We sincerely thank you for joining us for the 1st International French Fashion Fair, an international event of our Kingdom of France. First and foremost... this exhibition is a gift made possible by the cooperation of those from various countries who supported our participation. This exhibition would have been impossible without international cooperation. Austria, the Netherlands, Prussia, Britain... fashion stores from European countries have gathered, allowing us to come together and providing us with a wonderful opportunity to experience the fashion cultures and histories of each nation. I am truly filled with gratitude."

The array of diverse fashion... I created a vision based on references from motor shows and game expos, and I am truly grateful that we were able to organize a groundbreaking exhibition in this era. It's my genuine sentiment. While there was some diplomacy involved in creating this platform for international exchange, it is also thanks to the clothing store owners who declared their participation in the exhibition. I expressed my gratitude to them.

"Furthermore, I believe that it is a wonderful thing that international exchange among various countries can take place in this manner. In the future, I hope to expand exchanges not only in the field of fashion but also in areas like medicine and economics. Lastly, if you encounter any difficulties at the exhibition, please don't hesitate to contact the information desk we've set up in the central square. Thank you very much for your attention."

As I bowed, a loud applause erupted from the people, echoing throughout the palace square. It seemed that the speech went well. Afterward, the actress serving as the emcee provided further instructions and information before the exhibition officially began.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(180)

"Fashion Is Best Left to the Ladies"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After the opening ceremony, the staff members were handling the reception of guests from various countries. They distributed pamphlets written in major languages, so if necessary, guests could refer to the pamphlets. However, it was considered courteous to provide guests with the utmost hospitality. I believe that these small efforts accumulate and build people's trust. However, there are individual differences, of course! After finishing the opening ceremony speech, I returned to Antoinette, and we immediately decided to move to see the costumes.

"But really... I never imagined so many people would come here."

"Yes... truly, setting a one-week duration was the right decision. If it had been the initial plan of three days, it might have been quite chaotic."

"I know, right...? Maybe the flea market approach wouldn't have worked after all. Thanks to Antoinette's advice, we were able to hold a successful trade fair... Thank you."

Initially, I had planned the event based on major doujinshi conventions, but Antoinette pointed out the shortcomings of the short duration and the impracticality of lining up fashion shops for the general public. So, I took inspiration from motor shows and game expos. Shows like that are a great opportunity to showcase cutting-edge technology. In hindsight, focusing on that aspect would have been a better idea. We don't intend to sell clothing on a large scale; it's more about sending the message, "We make clothes like these now."

Considering the layout of the Bourbon Palace, the space is divided by country. Of course, we also have information boards and pamphlets in multiple languages like French, German, English, and Spanish, detailing which fashion shops are exhibiting in each country's showcase space. It's the result of the hard work of translators who spent several days filling in the text.

"Alright... shall we go see the riding outfit that Antoinette was interested in?"

"Yes, please! I would love to see them!"

"Hmm... since it's a riding outfit made in Dutch... it's in the 'R' section."

In this era, the Netherlands was known as the Dutch Republic, and the "R" in the name represents the abbreviation of the word "Republic." The name "Holland," which is often used in Japan to refer to the Netherlands, is believed to originate from the Portuguese word "Holanda," meaning the Dutch Republic. You can look up more details on a wiki.

So, we arrived at the booth for Dutch riding outfits, and even within the separate sections for each country, the space was quite generous. I was surprised to see such a wide variety of attire for horseback riding, but it's a testament to the high demand, especially during the heyday of horseback riding when it was a common mode of transportation. Unlike today, nobles and military officers like a colonel in this era needed to master riding horses.

There were even cavalry units, and horses served as a mobile force in warfare until World War II as part of the military police or semi-motorized divisions, making them the fastest mode of transportation in this era. The legend of the fastest cavalry... we don't know who held that title, but since horse racing already existed during this era, we can probably find records of the fastest horses in horse racing.

However, I personally don't have much interest in going to horse racing tracks. The reason is that Antoinette is said to have developed a gambling addiction, and it's rumored that horse racing played a role in it. Although she quit after having children, I'm a bit hesitant about going to a racetrack and potentially getting caught up in gambling. Besides, gambling is always designed for the house to win. Building a state-owned casino might be a good idea, but it's something to consider a little further down the road.

"It seems that recently it's become a trend to compete in how well-dressed one is for horseback riding."

"Is that so...? That's a bit surprising."

"Well, there are so many different types of clothing available. Even when it comes to riding attire, it seems that people are switching to more elaborate decorations lately."

"They're seeking extravagance... Do ladies care about such things too?"

"They care a lot. Especially among the nobility, it's said that men who can't handle riding well don't attract much attention."

Yes, as you might have gathered from the conversation with Antoinette, in this era, riding horses was considered common sense, especially among the nobility and high-ranking military personnel. During that time, noblemen who couldn't ride horses were often told to ride donkeys instead. You must all have known the famous painting of Napoleon crossing the Alps on a white horse, but in reality, he used a donkey instead to cross those mountains. The painting was actually used as propaganda.

Why wasn't it a painting of a donkey? Well, a donkey wouldn't make for a very heroic image when compared to a horse, right? Similarly, a certain leader of a certain authoritarian state, despite not being very tall, used secret shoes or photo editing to enhance their height, making them look more impressive. This propaganda tactic continues to be effective in modern times.

In historical records, Louis XVI is said to have been skilled in horseback riding. There's a famous story about him being so engrossed in hunting that he would continue hunting into the night and return home in the morning, earning him a stern scolding from Antoinette. After that incident, he decided to wrap up his hunting expeditions in the early evening. While it's said that he had a particular interest in locksmithing, he was also quite the outdoorsman. Having outdoor and indoor hobbies was considered versatile even in this era.

He was also known for his voracious appetite. He would consume a lot of meat, partly due to his active lifestyle, which included hunting. Records indicate that he stood around 190 centimeters tall, which was exceptionally tall for that time. When you consider the era, he must have been quite imposing... My current height is over 180 centimeters, so I'm getting closer to the historical version...

The historical Antoinette learned to ride in order to accompany Louis XVI, but in this world, Antoinette voluntarily consulted me about her desire to ride a horse and I let her do it little by little in a way that fulfills her desire, probably a bit more subdued than in the historical version... To release any pent-up frustration, she participates in reformist parties, social gatherings with Princesse de Lamballe, Madame Louise Marie, and others, and indulges in theater performances. So far, there haven't been any issues.

"Alright... we've arrived at the Dutch corner..."

"It looks like clothing stores from D to K are showcasing equestrian attire. Those outfits look lovely... the contrast between blue and black really enhances their appearance."

"Yes, those outfits are certainly cool. Antoinette, would you like to try one on? I think it would suit you quite well."

We immediately headed to the Dutch clothing store. While dresses are nice, we started with the store that Antoinette is interested in. The riding outfit that caught her eye features blue and black colors. It's from a clothing store called "Zeit" with its main branch in Amsterdam. They specialize in equestrian attire for the upper class, known for its simple yet subtly decorated designs. As we stood in front of the clothing store, one of the exhibitors noticed us and rushed over like a rocket.

"Your Majesties! Thank you very much for coming!"

"Yes, I'd like to inquire about this equestrian attire... is it unisex?"

"Yes, it's designed for men, but lately, it's also being used by women for horseback riding. It's one of our shop's top recommendations."

"Hmm... may I touch this? I'd like to feel the fabric a bit, especially since Antoinette and I want to check the texture together."

"Of course! Please feel free to touch it as much as you like!"

With the exhibitor's permission, I touched the clothes. Ooh, it has a nice texture. It feels like they've used high-quality silk generously, even for the fabric. There's lace around the neck area, making it quite fashionable... Even though I'm not very knowledgeable about fashion, I had an intuitive sense that this was a fine piece. Antoinette also touched the fabric and seemed to be nodding in approval.

"These are made using the highest-quality silk imported from China, and we've added our own original embroidery patterns."

"Oh, really... It has a very nice design. What do you think, Antoinette?"

"Yes, I agree... The outfit looks elegant, and the feel of the fabric is superb. I think it's perfect for horseback riding!"

Antoinette's enthusiastic recommendation made me believe that it's indeed a high-quality item. Plus, it's always a pleasure to see refined and well-designed clothing. I might consider having a portrait done with matching outfits. Now that I think about it, there was a time when Antoinette had a portrait painted of herself in equestrian attire after she married into France.

I stood next to her while she was seated, wearing a beige riding outfit, patiently waiting as the artist finished a rough sketch. It wasn't a matching outfit, but it gave me a glimpse of how she saw herself. I watched that scene beside the artist, reminiscing about such portraits from history. Next time, we'll have a portrait done together as a couple.

"Antoinette, would you like to buy this?"

"Yes, I'd love to! Can we, please?"

"Of course! Alright, we'd like to order two of these outfits... is that possible?"

"Yes, certainly! Please allow us the honor. To have Your Majesties purchase from our store would be the greatest happiness for us!"

"Thank you. Should we get our measurements taken?"

"Yes, please! We'd be delighted to provide you with sizes that fit your bodies perfectly!"

These outfits are versatile enough to be worn by both men and women, so trying them on as a matching set might be a good idea. They should look great on both of us.

And so, we purchased two equestrian outfits, the flagship product of Zeit, as a couple.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(181)

"Let's Take Security Measures!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Antoinette's riding outfit is pretty cute if you want to see it. It's definitely Instagram-worthy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I signed the check generously and made the contract, but horse-riding attire was quite expensive. It costs about 150 livres per outfit... which is equivalent to approximately 750.000 yen in today's value. Even though it's considered relatively cheap for upper-class attire, I still feel it's expensive. Perhaps my habit of saving money from my daily life hasn't entirely disappeared. The purchase cost this time is all covered by the annual usage expenses of the royal family members, so it's still within an acceptable range.

However, since Antoinette wanted this clothing, and it felt good to the touch, I decided to purchase two of them. I had them measure the dimensions, and they promised to deliver them to Versailles by the middle of next month at the latest. The exhibitors from Zeit were quite friendly, so while the female staff was taking Antoinette's measurements, I casually inquired about the trade situation between the Netherlands and Japan.

"You make some really nice things... I've heard that the Netherlands has been getting some good stuff from the Asian markets... Do you also deal with Asian items like these clothes?"

"Yes, we don't handle them ourselves, but Japanese kimonos are imported through the Dutch East India Company. However, there are very few of them, so they are traded at high prices."

"Ah... How much do they sell for, roughly?"

"Well, based on what I saw in Amsterdam, the minimum price was... 600 livres."

"Those kimonos cost 600 livres!? That's almost the same price as royal-exclusive clothing! If the minimum price is 600 livres, then the highest-quality ones must be more than twice that, right?"

"Yes, Your Majesty, at last year's auction, a kimono was sold for 2.000 livres."

"T-two thousand livres..."

Kimono imported through Dutch trade for 2.000 livres... That's an incredible amount. It's equivalent to four months' worth of food expenses for the people living and working in the Palace of Versailles. To think that you could buy a top-quality kimono with the food expenses of thousands of servants and royal family members for four months... It's truly impressive, but it seems the Netherlands has quite an advantage in their trade with Japan. After chatting with the exhibitors for a while, I let them know that I would be using Zeit again when I purchased more riding attire.

"Still... it's nice that we can see, touch, and simplify the process when buying various outfits like this!"

"Yes, it's important for everyone to be able to touch and confirm their favorite outfits. Of course, to prevent theft, security personnel patrol around the shops displaying their wares. They've also provided a place to store valuable items in advance to reduce the risk of pickpocketing during crowded times."

"Losing your wallet would be a major problem... When you think about it, the 'baggage storage' that you ordered was a great idea, Lord Auguste."

Crowds among the general attendees are almost certain. If there are that many people gathered just from a glance at the carriages, it will likely be a lottery-based entry system. To accommodate those who didn't win the lottery, we've ordered a special favor for them for entry on subsequent days. However, it's not ideal for people to enter and then have thefts occur due to the mix of crowds. So, a baggage check area has been set up in one corner of the palace to provide a storage service.

It costs 10 sou or around 2.500 yen for a single use, but considering it as a service fee for storage, it's not outrageously expensive. It's a service for storing small items and valuables, and it operates by taking the user's name when they drop off their items, giving them a numbered tag, and confirming that the name and tag match when they return to collect their belongings. In case the storage side loses the item, they've also set a compensation guarantee of up to 10 livres. This is following the approach of major doujinshi events. Without doing this, people would worry about theft and complain about their losses, so if you simply say, "Please leave your wallet and other small items in the storage area," it gives people peace of mind.

"In places with so many people like this, there are often brazen thieves, you know... Even at the Palace of Versailles, before they regulated general admission, it was a hotspot for theft..."

"I-is it really that bad?"

"Yes, at its worst, even the previous King's golden pocket watch was stolen by a pickpocket... Can you believe it?"

"What!? T-the golden pocket watch was like, gone!?"

"Mm-hmm, the security was so lax that someone stole from the royal family right under their noses. And what's more, the case remains unsolved, so we still don't know who did it..."

"Oh my... e-even with such incidents, your grandfather—I mean, the previous King allowed the public to enter the palace..."

"He couldn't go against the tradition that had been ongoing since the time of Louis XIV... Ironically, it was Adélaïde who put an end to that."

I heard stories about there being many thieves at the Palace of Versailles, but once I learned about the incident where Louis XV's cherished pocket watch was stolen in broad daylight, I couldn't help but think that they should have regulated general admission at Versailles much earlier. The security measures for the palace and the royal family were shockingly lax.

It's said that security measures had been lax since the time of Louis XIV, and there were already stories like this one: One day, the king's brooch was stolen from Louis XIV's chambers. Five days later, while Louis XIV was having dinner with some close associates, the stolen brooch, wrapped in paper, was suddenly thrown onto the table. The paper wrapping had the following message written on it:

"This is the brooch the Chief Steward was looking for. Please accept it as a kiss from me, Your Majesty."

If something like this had been thrown onto the dinner table during a meal, it would have been utterly terrifying. The diners were said to be frozen in fear. However, Louis XIV, unfazed by this horror movie-like incident, calmly read aloud the words written on the paper and muttered just one thing: "How audacious."

...Well, it's audacious, but that's your only comment, Sun King?

The stolen brooch was suddenly thrown in during dinner! If it were a horror movie, you'd expect vengeful spirits or poltergeists to show up, so calling it audacious is quite the confident response, to say the least.

...And because of incidents like these, I can't help but marvel at how they managed to avoid assassination attempts for so long. Their security awareness was astonishingly low. First of all, the low status and low salaries of the lower-ranking servants led to rampant theft and even smuggling of foodstuffs into the market, among other things.

Once again, I deeply realized that in the early modern period, bribery, embezzlement, and other such activities were carried out almost as a matter of course. Among the improvement requests submitted by the servants, there were reports of essential food items being sold at outrageously illegal prices. Upon hearing that the Palace of Versailles' serving staff were compelled to divert meals meant for the royal family and then buy these diverted meals to eat, I immediately cracked down on the shops selling food products at illegal prices and restored them to fair prices. Furthermore, I also gave instructions to serve only the amount of food that could be consumed. This was one of the first reforms I initiated.

Of course, the treatment improvement for the servants, which I implemented as part of the Bourbon reforms, was also a measure taken for security reasons. Providing the servants with adequate salaries, setting reasonable rent for their dormitories, and, in addition, buying hotels around the palace that were charging exorbitant rent and converting them into staff-exclusive housing complexes were all done to improve the awareness and behavior of the palace's employees and to eliminate illegal activities in Versailles.

After all, they had to rent rooms that were smaller than downtown one-room apartments, often plagued with mold, mice, and in some cases, even leaking roofs, for monthly rents exceeding 100.000 yen. When you calculated the money left in your pocket, it amounted to one-third of your salary, and sometimes even half, disappearing as rent. Furthermore, due to the high cost of living around Versailles, the price of meat was almost double that of the suburbs. In such circumstances, it's impossible to maintain motivation. So, I immediately took the scalpel of reform to cut out the bad parts.

"Well, thanks to such lessons, we made sure to take precautions at events like this... Anyway, since more people will be coming in the future, Antoinette, let's be vigilant about this."

"Yes, of course!"

Crimes at events like this exhibition... They are something we don't want to see happen.

We've taken all the measures within our capacity... We've invested in security, and we've done everything that should be done within the foreseeable limits. Now, all we can hope for is that time passes without any major issues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(182)

"Pearl Dress"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is my first post because I want to take a survey for you all at the end of this part and I hope you will read it until then.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next, we headed to a clothing store from Austria.

From Austria, several shops were participating, including those from the capital, Vienna. They were displaying accessories, dresses... and even enormous wigs. Among them, what stood out the most was something that had boats on top of their hair. I understand you might not know what I'm talking about, but it's exactly what it sounds like.

"I had heard rumors, but... seeing it in person, this hairstyle is quite something."

"Uhh... is this hairstyle really popular in Austria?"

"It seems so... it says here that it won an award at last year's competition."

They place miniature models of sail frigates, which are the main warships of this era, on top of their hair that resembled waves. These are called Belle Poule, which means beautiful female bird, and it is said that in historical context, it started as a trend among the wives of French naval officers during the American Revolutionary War... But apparently, the current popularity has a different reason.

This is because the prosperous economy has boosted trade relations, and various regional merchant associations have expanded, promoting economic prosperity in other countries as well. From Austria, which is currently in an alliance with us, there are even migrant workers coming to work here, and more importantly, maritime trade in the Mediterranean Sea has been flourishing in both France and Austria.

It is said that these extravagant hairstyles have become a trend in Austria, especially among the wives of wealthy merchants who have profited from such trade, as they decorate their hair with ship models symbolizing the development of maritime trade, referred to as "victory ships," mainly along the coast.

The owner of one of the shops exhibiting these hairstyles, explained to Antoinette, "Originally, it was a hairstyle that was presented at a competition and won an award, but recently, when attending upper-class parties, everyone is imitating this hairstyle..."

"T-that much... Does this mean it's popular even at Vienna's palace?"

"No, Her Majesty the Archduchess has prohibited such eccentric decorations within the palace, so no one would dare wear this hairstyle at the palace."

"That's true... If Mother were greeted with this hairstyle, she would probably be quite upset..."

"Indeed, it would take a lot of courage to attend a party with the Archduchess with this hairstyle."

Antoinette said this calmly, but in reality, she happily showcased the Belle Poule hairstyle in historical records, even at banquets and celebrations. However, as soon as Archduchess Theresa found out about it, she sent a letter sternly scolding Antoinette not to engage in such absurd adornments. Hmm, if the current Antoinette were to showcase this excessively extravagant hairstyle... I would probably burst out laughing. After all, I'm not a street performer, and I think she would be most charming in a simple yet elegant dress that suits her natural beauty. Yes.

So, this hairstyle, where they place miniature ship models on top of their hair, apparently became a trend after winning an award at a competition. Does that mean they made a profit from this trend? In any case, it seems that Austria is prospering as well, and they are emphasizing their success through fashion and accessories that match their economic affluence and maritime trade in the Mediterranean Sea.

"It seems to be popular in Austria, but do not only nobility but also wealthy citizens imitate these hairstyles?"

"Yes, just as Your Majesty has said. Recently, Austria has also adopted your reforms, so many people are benefiting from the economic effects of these reforms."

"It's good to know that the benefits of the reforms have reached not only France but also our allied nations..."

With the economy flourishing, it's understandable that fashion and decorative items that match the prosperity are selling well. However, it seems that there are even more extravagant hairstyles aside from this one. I wonder what was going through the mind of the person who first came up with the idea of turning it into a wig... It's incredibly flashy and attention-grabbing, and above all, placing a model of a ship on top of your hair seems utterly weird. This is definitely not your average hairstyle! It's just a ship model attached to the hair!

...I could hear that voice in my head, so I decided to skip this overly fabulous hairstyle and focus on looking at Austrian dresses instead.

"Your Majesties, how do you find this dress?"

"Oh... this is quite a lovely dress. I like the subdued color scheme... Antoinette, what do you think?"

"Yes, the white color... and the pearl-like pattern are exquisite."

"Indeed, this dress was created with the image of Mediterranean pearls."

Antoinette looked at the dress in admiration. She believed that the quality of this dress was indeed high, and she could appreciate the meticulous craftsmanship, with every thread sewn as neatly as a sewing machine. Compared to French-made dresses, Austrian dresses often had a more mature look. The dress currently on display was white-based but had a design that exuded elegance and refinement. It could be described as a shade between white and silver. The pearl-inspired pattern added a touch of uniqueness, making the design not overly extravagant. Hmm, wouldn't this dress suit Antoinette well? I think it would be nice to have one like this.

"What fabric is used for this dress?"

"We used materials from Graz. It was crafted by dressmakers in Graz and took over a year to complete."

"A year! That's impressive... How much does this dress cost?"

"It is priced at 1.000 livres per dress."

1.000 livres for one dress...

It's much more expensive than the riding attire from earlier!

It's even more expensive than the full set of perfumes and cosmetics that Antoinette likes...

Well, considering the craftsmanship that went into making this dress, it might not be that expensive after all. If you think about it as compensation for the labor and expenses the craftsmen put into it for over a year, 1.000 livres seem like a reasonable price. It would be too stingy to ask for a lower price... So, I'll keep that thought to myself.

This is completely off-topic, but I remember reading web novels where overpowered protagonists would complain about the high prices of luxury dresses and secretly duplicate them using their copy ability to give them as gifts to the heroines. I think that's outright theft. I wonder what method they use to duplicate things... Are they using material conversion or something?

The laws of the universe are being violated, and using cheats in games is only acceptable in offline mode. People who abuse cheats in online games and cause trouble for other players are just a nuisance.

I've totally gone off on a tangent here, but I asked Antoinette if she wanted to buy this dress. If she wants it, I'll get it for her. After all, she takes care of me all the time. If she wants one or two dresses on occasions like this, it's not a problem financially.

"Antoinette... would you like to get this dress?"

"Well, it does have a nice texture... and the design with the pearl-like pattern is rather unique. May I please have it?"

"Of course! Sure thing!"

"...Thank you very much! Also, it's a bold request, but would it be alright if I purchased dresses for Princesse de Lamballe and Madame Louise Marie as well?"

"For the two of them? Of course, go ahead! Don't hesitate to buy them!"

It seemed that Antoinette wanted to purchase dresses not only for herself but also as presents for Princesse de Lamballe and Madame Louise Marie, so I gave my approval. The total cost for three dresses is... 2.800 livres, but it's still not as extravagant as buying a wardrobe full of costumes like in real history. This level of expenditure is acceptable. As the one who planned this, I feel like there are a lot of interesting things at this exhibition. For someone like Antoinette who loves clothes, this must be a treasure trove. However, the Bourbon Palace does feel a bit cramped... Maybe next time, I should rent a larger venue...

While identifying areas for improvement, I also made mental notes of what I've learned at this trade fair to apply to our future organizational operations.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you have any preferences for Antoinette's hairstyle in the future, please leave your comments. I'll probably take them into consideration.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(183)

"A110"

★ ★ ★

What a wonderful day it is today.

I've gained yet another beautiful memory.

Costumes from all over Europe have gathered at the Bourbon Palace, and at the venue, participants can purchase the costumes they like. The 1st International French Fashion Fair, conceived by Lord Auguste, was attended not only by nobles but also by commoners. By around 2 o'clock in the afternoon, there were restrictions on entry to the Bourbon Palace because there were so many general admission applicants. There were so many people hoping to enter that they switched to a lottery system. However, it was done without any major trouble, as they exchanged their entry priority for the days following.

"Your Majesty! Please take a look at these costumes!"

"What do you think, My Queen? This necklace here uses materials discovered in the Inca Empire by Spain."

"If you don't mind, please touch it. It's incredibly soft... the material is different."

The shops exhibiting at the fair competed with each other, showcasing the advantages and unique items of their products to the many visitors, including both nobles and commoners, who came to see various fashion items. What surprised me the most was the hairstyle called the "Victory Ship," which is popular in my homeland, Austria, and has become a sensation.

It involves placing a model ship on top of one's head and styling the hair to resemble waves. I initially thought it was a joke when one of the exhibitors mentioned it, but as I listened, I learned that it's a hairstyle popular among the affluent along the Mediterranean coast. Mothers who are particular about their appearance expressed their disapproval of this hairstyle. However, if the Princesse de Lamballe or Madame Louise Marie were to greet me with such a hairstyle in the morning, I might be more surprised than upset.

"Lord Auguste... do you think this hairstyle would suit me?" I asked Lord Auguste quietly while purchasing a pearl dress. Would such a hairstyle suit me?

He crossed his arms and thought for a few moments, then replied, "Well... Antoinette, your current hairstyle is beautiful, and I think there might be safety concerns if the model ship were to fall to the floor during a gathering... Besides, hairstylists would have quite a hard time creating this wave-like hairstyle. It would also come at a cost, and unless you have a special reason to attract attention, honestly, even if you were to wear this Victory Ship, it might not suit you."

Lord Auguste spoke with an apologetic tone, stating that the Victory Ship hairstyle might not suit me. I agreed with his opinion. Indeed, I believe such a hairstyle wouldn't suit me. Even if it garnered attention, it would likely result in ridicule.

"Rather than this Victory Ship, I think you should keep your hair slightly longer and give it a... casual, flowing appearance. I think your current hairstyle suits you best."

"This one?"

"Yes, like this... Ah, when I see you like this, I can't help but think that you're cute and beautiful just the way you are..."

Lord Auguste suggested that it would be better to style my hair in a simple way rather than forcing a strange hairstyle. He also added the words "cute" and "beautiful" casually, causing my face to turn beet red. His understated kindness and charm, the way he makes women feel, are so captivating! Truly, Lord Auguste is a dangerously charming man.

If Lord Auguste had been as indifferent to matters of fashion as he is today, I might have opted for this eccentric hairstyle. When I saw the Victory Ship hairstyle, I felt a certain unease deep within my heart. Perhaps... there was something like that deep inside me.

"Nevertheless, riding attire and dresses... it's truly fitting for a fashion exhibition to have such a wide variety of clothing."

"Yes... among all the exhibitions I've seen so far, I've had the opportunity to see a wide range of fashion items. It's truly wonderful! Do you plan to continue hosting exhibitions like this in the future?"

"That's right... It might be a good idea to expand beyond fashion and include exchanges in food and technology. In the case of food, it could become a delightful exhibition where foods from all over the world come together, and in the case of a technological exhibition, it would allow us to assess the technological levels of various countries. This can be an event with applications in other areas as well," Lord Auguste spoke with enthusiasm.

We surveyed each shop exhibiting at the fair and even made purchases of various fashion items from the shops that caught our attention. It was a slightly different shopping experience from what I had experienced before, but everything I saw felt so fresh and new. We had practiced several times during rehearsals, but when the actual performance came, there was a different atmosphere in the air.

If it's food, I would have the opportunity to enjoy various dishes from different countries, and in the case of a scientific and technological exhibition, I might be able to witness something like Captain Cugnot's invention, the steam-powered gun carriage. Furthermore, Lord Auguste mentioned that he would use this experience to extend ceremonial events to not only Versailles and Paris but also regional cities and work on revitalizing the regions and expanding transportation networks. And he mentioned the construction of transportation networks.

"It's important to go not only to Versailles and Paris, but also to the regional cities and interact with people... We need to revitalize the regions and expand the transportation network..."

"The transportation network?"

"Yes, that's right. If we widen the roads to make carriage travel easier, it will also make it easier to guide evacuees in times of crisis. And if we can use Captain Cugnot's invention for transportation, it can carry more people than horses. It's already being developed for civilian use as well."

"Oh, isn't that invention meant for military use? Is it permissible to repurpose military equipment for civilian use?"

Utilizing Cugnot's steam-powered vehicle for transportation, in addition to carriages, was unexpected. I had assumed it would be used as is for military purposes. According to Lord Auguste, it is intended to be used as a means of transporting personnel as an alternative to carriages.

"Of course, it was originally developed for military use, but during peacetime, we want to develop it for civilian use. The University of Paris, the Academy of Sciences, the military, and the Steam Engine Research Institute are conducting new development and research on that carriage as a new mode of transportation. By placing wheels on iron rails and moving them, it runs straight. We plan to conduct trials to modify carriages to run on rails beforehand. If successful, we want to utilize it as a new means of transportation. In case a war was to happen, we could convert such means of transportation into military use for transporting soldiers."

"Then... in peacetime, it will be used for civilian purposes, and in the event of war, it will be used for military purposes... is that correct?"

"That's right... There are advantages to having civilians maintain it during peacetime if they own it. That's why we're also pushing for development for civilian use..."

The gun carriage was originally developed for military use but is now being developed for civilian use. They planned to develop it for civilian use so that it could be easily repurposed for military use in times of crisis, all while keeping maintenance costs in check. If it were treated solely as military equipment, it would incur maintenance costs. However, maintaining dozens of them within the military without using them would be wasteful, hence the decision.

Lord Auguste is approachable and yet constantly strategizing. Occasionally, he writes about such matters in letters to my mother, and most of Lord Auguste's strategies have been successful. With the success of this exhibition, he may choose to further showcase France's authority beyond fashion in the future. The willingness to compete with technology rather than resorting to methods like war is admirable. The market will likely expand through such means.

Things will change rapidly one after another. People's lives will change with the Bourbon reforms, and it's essential for me to avoid being swept away by these changes. Lord Auguste is taking action to grasp the flow, and surely, the times ahead will undergo significant transformations. As the sun set over the Bourbon Palace, people who had enjoyed the exhibition by walking through the city reflected in the windows seemed very happy, their excitement showing no signs of fading.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(184)

"Fashion1774"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm posting this for the first time because I haven't been able to revise my novel as much as I'd like.

★ ★ ★

April 29, 1774

The 1st International French Fashion Fair ended in great success. Although it was held for one week, it attracted more people than expected, partly because it was hosted by the king and welcomed people from both within and outside the country. As a result, a total of 39.000 people entered the exhibition at the Bourbon Palace where the exhibition was held, and on the first day alone, 1.500 orders for clothing items were placed. This led to a surge in the fashion industry, with a large number of dresses and clothes being ordered, creating a kind of boom. In later years, there are records stating that orders were placed to the extent that it was said, "Shops that exhibited at the fashion exhibition didn't take a break for three months."

The booming fashion industry attracted attention both in France and abroad, inspiring fashion shops from various countries to participate and focus on unique designs and materials, as seen in events like the Vienna Fashion Show and the London Dress Exhibition. In France, "Nantes Concept," founded by Huguenot fashion professionals who had returned to the country, became a huge success with their affordable workwear inspired by Dutch fashion technology when it was first launched at the 1st International French Fashion Fair.

It was rumored that Louis XVI himself might have been involved in the design, but the press could find no evidence of this. This workwear, affectionately known as "maid uniforms," was primarily sold to women who worked in cafes and aristocratic mansions. It featured aprons that were not only practical but also beautifully decorated, made from materials that resisted damage even after washing, and were priced affordably for the common people, and orders flooded the exhibition.

A total of 900 orders were received at the exhibition, and an additional 2.000 orders were placed as word of mouth spread. Due to the overwhelming demand, Nantes Concept had to partner with nearby fashion industries to meet production demands. The maid uniforms that later won awards as the best costumes in 1774 became popular as workwear for domestic and international use, eventually becoming iconic attire in France.

The success of the exhibition motivated those in the fashion industry to improve their skills and create designs that would garner more attention. This led to significant growth in knowledge and technology related to clothing. In particular, the 1st International French Fashion Fair marked a clear shift in the fashion industry, both before and after the event.

This was largely due to the unexpected level of interest it garnered from both domestic and international sources. Countries such as Spain, Austria, the Netherlands, and Prussia were not engaged in major wars at the time, except for the British suppression of uprisings in the New World. This allowed them the resources and capacity to participate in the fashion industry. The absence of war meant that there was no need to spend more on military spending than necessary, while the economy was also booming.

This loosened purse strings, and the reasonably priced yet high-quality French-made fashion items became extremely popular, especially among the common people. Additionally, the continuous prosperity since the Bourbon reforms in France contributed to the increasing demand for fashion items. Women desired beautiful and sexually appealing attire with distinct body lines for the upper class, while affordable and well-designed clothing spread among the common people. By the end of 1774, the demand for fashion items had risen by over 35% compared to the previous year.

Furthermore, one of the reasons that boosted the demand for French clothing was the large-scale introduction of spinning machines and factories within the country, actively promoted by Louis XVI. Until then, the predominant method of textile production had been manual labor using spinning wheels, and clothing was considered a luxury item. In fact, before the introduction of spinning machines, clothing prices were quite high due to limited production capacity.

However, the spinning machines that utilized water power, invented by the British inventor Richard Arkwright, had several times the production capacity of the traditional spinning wheel. Furthermore, at this time, the government took the innovative step of constructing spinning machine factories, significantly increasing production capacity. France entered into licensing agreements with Britain and constructed four factories along rivers such as the Seine, Loire, and Rhone, and began operating water-powered spinning machines from June 1773.

The construction of these factories was a joint effort, with the government providing funding and private investors contributing. As a result, the supply of textiles increased by over 20% by the first half of 1774, and production costs for clothing decreased. Of course, there were still silk producers using spinning wheels, so to avoid sudden unemployment among these workers, the "Law for Spinning Quantity Regulation" was enacted. This law set production limits for the next three years to ensure a smooth transition to spinning machines and also provided support for the adoption of spinning machines by silk producers.

By proclaiming the development and protection of this industry, there was little opposition to the introduction of new technologies. Additionally, the spinning mills constructed in various regions operated with the widespread use of steam engines. This led to the importance of steam engines spreading not only in Paris and its vicinity but also to provincial cities in France. Each factory employed several hundred workers, leading to the creation of jobs. Furthermore, housing and restaurants for the employed workers were built in the vicinity of the factories, contributing to the revitalization of the surrounding areas and garnering significant benefits.

However, the 1st International French Fashion Fair had its own issues. It was even decided that the second fair to be held in 1775 would be held at the Louvre and Tuileries palaces, which are larger than the Bourbon Palace.

One of the major issues was the presence of a gang of thieves, which Louis XVI had been concerned about. During the reign of Louis XV, a gang of thieves had infiltrated the Palace of Versailles, leading to a series of thefts. To address this, measures such as entry restrictions and inspections of belongings were implemented. As expected, thefts were discovered during these inspections, and several members of the gang of thieves were arrested.

The arrested individuals were a gang of thieves skilled in stealing wallets and precious metals, causing damages estimated to be as high as 100.000 livres. They had been on the police radar for some time but had eluded capture. Based on witness testimonies and their small stature, they were referred to as the "Black Mice."

Joseph Saint-Georges, who interrogated them upon capture, was surprised to learn that the gang of thieves was predominantly composed of women. Even the tallest among them was barely over 150 centimeters in height, and the shortest was around 130 centimeters—almost child-sized. The leader of the gang of thieves was a 26-year-old woman named Irene Hudson.

"Irene Hudson... are you originally from England?"

"Yes... but I was abandoned as a child. I was taken in by a merchant's family in Nantes when I was seven, but... I was used as a plaything there... and subjected to abuse... I ran away from home when I was sixteen and joined the gang of thieves."

"That must have been a difficult past to carry... What sort of thing did you do as part of the thieves?"

"Mainly pickpocketing and burglary... It might be surprising, but young men who thought they were invincible were easy targets for seduction... I lured them with allure... I came here because it seemed like I could earn a lot of money."

She came to the Bourbon Palace because it was said to be easy for pickpocketing and theft, but the security was tighter than expected. So, she changed her plan and tried to steal a paper with a number printed on it that she received as a voucher from a noblewoman who had left her luggage at the baggage claim. The reason was that she had dressed as a noble to pick up the luggage. She thought she could get away with it without arousing suspicion, and everything had gone smoothly up to the point where she successfully stole the voucher from the noblewoman. Among their members who could read and write, only a young girl who could read took the voucher, but she made two big mistakes.

One was that she answered the number as "1961" instead of "1691," and the other was that she misspelled the name of the person who had left the luggage. Instead of saying "Therese," she said "Elise," creating a contradiction between the name and the number on the voucher. This inconsistency raised suspicion with the attendant who had been trained in theft prevention as part of the security measures at the baggage claim, and they reported it.

Irene tried to flee when she sensed something was amiss, but she was apprehended by officers from the domestic intelligence investigation unit who were nearby. Her accomplices couldn't escape either, and they all fell into the hands of the attendants and security personnel. In the past, the security was sloppy enough for them to do so, but because this was a large-scale international event, the staff had been trained in advance to prevent such thefts.

While Irene was being arrested and interrogated, she eventually confessed to the various crimes the theft gang had committed. Of course, she was speaking in exchange for a reduced sentence, so she couldn't lie. They would have to confirm the truth by questioning her fellow gang members and cross-referencing their testimonies to see if their stories matched up.

Among them, it was discovered that Irene's romantic partner was the same man who had been caught stealing at the Palace of Versailles four years ago, and he had shoved aside a perfumer's wife to escape when King Louis XVI witnessed the theft.

"Are there any other members of the group? If you honestly tell us, we can promise a reduced sentence."

"Well... my boyfriend is the one who started this theft gang. He should still be in our hideout... He used to brag about shoving the king... I don't think anyone can call that bragging..."

"What? He shoved the king? When did that happen?"

"I heard it was four years ago. He was about to get caught after stealing something, so he pushed someone nearby and ran away..."

"Really...? That incident has been unsolved ever since... Tell us immediately where this man lives."

And so, the perpetrator from four years ago was unexpectedly captured. It was a chance encounter, but this incident was reported in the newspapers the following day, and the Black Mice thieves, which had been operating from its base in Paris, fell apart.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'll make my next chapter Antoinette's childbirth, so this will be my first post.

- Scarred G

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.6K 574 23
Aristia La Monique was the almost empress and once queen of the empire. She was in love with her husband, who hated her. Being cold and dismissively...
28.4K 1K 95
It was only when the bloodshed through her face, and the sirene sound went wild. At that moment, she then know the happiness she was searching for...
462K 14.2K 35
"ally honey deacon? what a strange name." "just as strange as roger meddows taylor?" "precisely." ****** [COMPLETED] *EDITING*
33.2K 1.5K 41
I have seen a lot of WMMAP reacts but no MNSSK reacts and thought of writing my own. I have never written a fan fiction before and don't know how thi...