Delight on Frozen Bones (Lege...

By kimsyzygy

The Golden Queen's assassin, Mara Starling, received a reward from Her Majesty after years of service. A rewa... More

--
Prologue
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-one
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-three
Chapter Twenty-four
Chapter Twenty-five
Chapter Twenty-six

Chapter Four

24 1 0
By kimsyzygy

Starling

Phileis accepted my hand. He was about to lead me to the dancefloor when he suddenly stiffened. His smile faded on his face and began looking around.

Kumunot ang noo ko.

"What is it Phileis?"

His eyes averted at many places before meeting mine. "Someone just broke in."

Napaigtad ako at napabitaw sa kamay niya. All of sudden, every senses on my body inflamed. "May nagbabantay ba sa labas? Have the ravensiels guarded everywhere I said they should?"

Tumango siya. "Even in the undergrounds. Imposibleng may nakapasok pa..."

"Unless..." I whispered and glanced up at Sora. She's already talking to some ravensiels as if she sensed something was wrong too in her walls. "Go to the Queen. Guard her as you always do." I said to Phileis and simply reached for my sword underneath my dress.

Phileis gripped my arm before I could walk away. "At ikaw? Anong gagawin mo?"

"I'll go after the intruder." Binawi ko ang braso ko mula sa kanya at hindi na hinintay ang magiging sagot niya. I walked passed the entire crowd and disappeared in the shadows of the nearest hallway.

It's a witch.

Hindi ako pwedeng magkamali. I have been very familiar with their presence, how they creep behind the dark and mask themselves. I'm certain this is a witch. And this is not someone I know, or has ever been inside this castle.

I stopped at the third hallway and looked to my right. Pinakiramdaman ko ng mabuti ang presensya bago tumingin sa kaliwa. The strong presence led to the west wing, the only wing headed to Sora's room.

I shoved the helm of my dress away and went there despite the change of the wind I just felt. The witch's presence served as a warning. Whatever kind of witch this is, she's surely strong enough to breakthrough the barrier guarding the Golden Queen's land.

I breathed in before walking inside the wing, there I met a hallway leading nowhere else but to Sora's room.

I slowly took up Calanthe, my sword beneath my dress and grip it hard. The darkness devoured me. It wasn't this dark when I used to walk pass here. Now it's like walking blind. The witch surely knows how to pick her spot.

I whistled.

Three, in fiery flesh hawks went flying straight at my direction. Nawala ako sa kinatatayuan at umilag. I swung my sword to the sky where they swiftly flew, almost just an inch above my head. I caught one.

Bumagsak ang ibon sa paanan ko. The other two made a loud screech above and descended to my direction again. Looks like I made them mad. Napangisi ako bago itinaas ulit ang espada. I held Calanthe in both hands and bend my knees, measuring the kind of cut I will make between their wings and preparing myself to jump.

When they're only a few inches left away from me, I made a short run then jumped to meet them mid-air. I lift Calanthe to my right and swiftly twist my body to move left, as my sword did, tearing the fiery-flesh hawks into half. The moment I fell back to the ground, their fiery feathers came dancing around me.

"Is that the best you can do, witch?" I said.

Tawa lang ang sagot na natanggap ko. Tawa na nanggagaling sa loob ng silid ng reyna. The presence became too familiar for me to sense it completely now. Olden. Whoever's inside was an olden witch.

Olden Witches are weak. But their curses are the most powerful ones. Whatever she did or created inside these palace halls... If she ever did anything inside the Queen's room...

Kumunot ang noo ko. Humigpit ang hawak ko sa sandata ko.

"Impressive. You can track down my presence... How did you harness this kind of sense, Starling?" She spoke amidst her chuckle. Her voice was low and forced. As if she's using her remaining strength to speak.

She also called me by my name.

I grinned and continued to approach the room slowly. "I didn't know I was this famous, that even olden witches would recognize me. I'm flattered."

"You're the King and Queen slayer. Who would not know you? You enter kingdoms and leave, with its people leaderless... without mercy. Perhaps you'll do the same to this kingdom too someday." She laughed.

I laughed with her which made her stop until it's only my laugh echoing in the hall. Dahan-dahan kong inabot ang pihitan ng pintuan ng silid. "Kingdoms were ruled by a king and a queen. This one is only ruled by a Queen... whom I very much benefit from." I said then pushed the door open, revealing her silhouette at my feet.

I positioned Calanthe in front of me. Exactly right at the witch's figure who's now standing in front of Sora's open window. 

Nakatalikod siya mula sa akin. Pero nasisilayan ko pa rin ang puting buhok niyang sa likod ng itim na talukbong na suot niya. She also had her wand in her hand, slowly twisting it in her fingers.

I halted my steps when I saw dark shadows surrounding her. Shadows like hawks flying beneath her feet. Just like the ones she sent outside towards me.

"Let's make this simple. Tell me why you're here, and I'll let you go." I muttered.

She snorted and then laughed again. Napailing-iling siya bago dahan-dahang lumingon sa akin. Kumalabog ang dibdib ko nang masilayan ang mukha niya. Her pale skin was crumpled, her nose sharper and larger, her lips were black, and she's missing an eye. She must've been one of those witches... who fought during the great war. One of Lysandra's minions who were set loose.

"Oh, Starling... Kahit na sabihin ko pa sayo lahat ng plano ko, alam kong papatayin mo pa rin ako." Inalis niya ang talukbong niya at ngumisi. "That's how you work, is it not?"

I raised a brow.

"I see you're well acquainted by my... style. I'll just go for it then." I said then without warning, I ran towards her.

She lifted her wand and pointed it at me. Another three fire-breathing hawks arose from her feet and came flying towards me. I sliced the first two open before they could come near me, but the third one moved swiftly and left a scratch on my cheek.

I gasped and lose my balance when I felt the scratch flamed. My grip on Calanthe loosened. Napahawak ako sa pisngi ko. It's burning... My cheek is burning.

"Why don't you use your power on my hawk, assassin? Enough with the blade and save yourself some time..." the witch murmured, her wand still pointed at me.

I wiped the blood off my cheek. "I know how you witches work as well..." I snarled. They devour powers, especially olden ones like hers since she doesn't have much physical strength left. "And rest assured that I'll beat you anyway without any power, old hag."

Her teeth gritted.

Hindi nagtagal ay lumabas ulit sa paanan niya ang tatlo pang ibon at sabay-sabay na umatake sa akin. I ran to the nearest wall and pressed my foot against it to jump. I raised Calanthe and stabbed one hawk. I dodged the other two. Its flames instantly ignited my sword.

Bumagsak ako sa sahig. I winced and touched my cheek again. It burned once again but I didn't mind it and took the opportunity to went for the her. With the dead fiery hawk igniting my sword, I ran towards her. But it only took a swirl of her wand before my body went flying. I felt a force hit me, hard enough to send me back to the wall.

I groaned when I felt my shoulder cracked as I hit the wall. Blood came rushing down my nose and everything blurred out. Napadapa ako sa sahig. A spell. She had used a spell against me.

"Hmm, your blood. It still smells young. That means you still haven't passed lived half of a century yet..." she said. I felt her walk near me. "And yet, you already have killed so much for your age. It's the kind of path us witches like to embrace as well..."

I panted. "Well... then, embrace this."

I pushed my body up and grabbed Calanthe. I aimed for the witch's feet. Before she could flip her wand again, I already drew out my sword. She screeched and fall back when the fire from the sword had reach her.

I took the chance to tower her and step on her right hand where she was holding her wand. Nabitawan niya iyon at napasigaw. I think my foot may have broke some of her fingers as well. I smirked. 

I wanted to claw out her face, but my other hand's completely motionless. I grunted before moving my feet. Ginamit ko ang dalawang paa ko para mapanatili siya sa lugar bago binaon ang espada ko sa isa pa niyang kamay para tuluyang hindi na siya makaalis pa. She's old, she wouldn't be able to fight with force.

She screamed as her black blood splattered out of her hand. I gripped her neck.

"Let's try this again... Why are you here?" I asked. Diniinan ko pa ang pagkakasakal sa leeg niya. "Don't make me repeat myself, witch..."

She just quietly chuckled as her nose flared, as if smelling me. "I can smell those marks in your back, girl..." she whispered.

My skin went cold. Amusement played in her eyes when she caught my stiffness.

"I can smell all the spells and scars placed on you... Oh, yes... They were powerful and deadly... Someone has surely enjoyed you—"

She didn't get to finish her words when I lift her neck and push her back to the floor. Hard enough to almost make a crack. Napasigaw siya at napabuga ng dugo dahil roon. Napasinghap ako nang dumaloy ang itim na dugo niya mula sa bibig niya papunta sa kamay kong nakasakal sa leeg niya.

"That's not the answer I want to hear." I said before grabbing one of my daggers hidden in my sleeve. I grinned. I lifted it up and made the first blow. My dagger buried in her shoulder. Nanlaki ang mga mata niya sa gulat at napasigaw ulit. Her scream sounded more like a cry this time.

"There are two ways I can get answers from you... You can either tell me what I want to hear now, or I will prick your fingers one by one and tore your eyes out... You choose your fate."

She just laughed and coughed blood.

"I am here... for many things, Starling." She said, panting.

"What kind of spell did you put in this room?" I buried the dagger deeper into her hand. "Don't you dare lie to me, old hag. Or I swear... I will end you."

"T-Tracking..." she murmured, her mouth slightly trembled. "I have been looking for someone, you see."

Someone. Not something. That means she's not here for the swords.

"Did the elves sent you? Sino ang hinahanap mo?"

Another amused grin appeared on her face. "I was looking... for a Princess."

Prince Arik... Did he ordered this? But it's impossible... There are no witches living in Casimir for him to control or even befriend.

Why? Why are they looking for a Princess now?

I held her jaw. "There are no princesses left in this world." I firmly said. "What could you possibly want from them?"

She didn't answer and just chuckled, making my blood boil. I gripped her jaw harder. "Answer me!"

I heard the door swung open.

Napuno ng tunog ng mga pakpak ang paligid bago sinundan ng mga yapak. Mariin akong napapikit. Hindi ko alam kung matutuwa ba ako ngayon na nandito na sila o mas lalong kukulo ang dugo ko. I was doing well... well enough that they don't have to interfere. They could've just listen outside and waited.

Four Ravensiels, including Phileis landed just a few inches away from witches head. They skillfully drew out their spears and aimed for the witch's head.

I met Phileis' eyes, whom did not even glanced at the witch. His eyes were already settled on me.

"Mara." The Golden Queen's voice from behind. Other murming voices followed hers. "Enough."

I shook my head and went on. "Who ordered you to do this?"

"She won't give you any answers." Sora interrupted. "I'll have my sister question her tomorrow. So let her go, assassin." She commanded again. Her voice much firmer this time.

"Yes... Yes, you better listen to your queen, Starling..." The witch said, whimpering.

Humigpit ang sakal ko sa leeg niya bago tuluyang hinugot ang talim ng punyal ko mula sa palad niya. Napasigaw siya dahil roon. I stared at her then leaned down to ear to whisper. "After tomorrow... I'll make sure I'll be the one to take your head off, witch."

"D-Do you think I'll be threatened by that?" she dared to ask back.

"That is not a threat... That is a promise."

Inalis ko ang espada kong nakabaon sa braso niya at tumayo na. There I saw the hint of fear surfaced from her pale face as if death just flashed before her eyes. I kick her wand away before stepping away from her. The Ravensiels immediately had pulled her up, not minding her wounds and her scream of terror while her eyes still remain on me.

"This is not over for you, girl!" She shouted.

"I will rip you apart! I will triple the scars you have—" she screamed, but did not get finish her sentence when one ravensiel put her down using an arrow.

Her body swung back to the ground, unconscious.

--

Hindi ako tumigil sa paglalakad hanggang sa makaabot sa silid ko. Napadaing ako sa pagpasok bago binagsak ang pintuan. It was only then when I started welcoming the pain I've been enduring.

Napaupo ako sa sahig at tuluyan ng napalingon sa nagdurugong braso ko. Hindi ko na iyon magalaw o maramdaman man lang.

A damn dislocated shoulder.

I bit my lower lip and tap my back for the broken bone. I bit my lip harder when I found it then forcedly pushing it back to its place. I felt a crack in my shoulder when it moved, and it fucking hurt like a bitch.

Ginamit ko ang espada ko bilang tungkod para tumayo ulit. I limped heavily as I move to my bed.

I rested my back against the headboard and breathed. The darkness and coldness in my room made me shivered. Minerva didn't even light up a single candle. She always does.

I only saw light when my door opened. Nagmamadaling pumasok mula roon si Sora na may dala-dalang kandila. It took a while before her eyes found me in the darkness.

She sighed in relief.

She pushed away the cape of her golden gown before walking towards me.

"Does your history with Lysandra still hunts you?"

Nanlamig ako nang marinig ulit ang pangalang iyon. Mariin akong napapikit. I knew she would brought this up the moment she saw that witch with me. I knew she thought of that when that witch mentioned about my scars.

I waited for a minute to pass, hoping she would just ask another question. But she just repeated her question again.

"I've seen the way you look at that witch." She sat down beside me. "Does it still hunt you? I want an answer as your Queen."

Napabuntong-hininga ako at hinarap siya.

I nodded like a puppet. "Sometimes."

"I don't want to talk about it." dugtong ko.

"I know. You've been avoiding to talk about it for years. How long do you plan to do that, Mara? Hindi ko na alam kung nakakatulong pa ba ito sayo..."

"I do not want your pity." I said. "That's the reason why I will never talk about any of it. And what will it change anyway? Nothing. So why bother to know?"

"It will change everything. You know that." She said and sighed. "It can move the kingdoms in Astraea if you'd like."

Napatawa ako. "Hindi ko na alam ang pinagsasabi mo, Sora."

I stood up and took Calanthe. I remove the leather that I used to cover it to put out the flames and began cleaning it, wiping the black blood off it with a handkerchief from my desk. I heard Sora's footsteps came closer to me, watching.

"I expected the elves to come and intrude tonight. But a witch came instead," she said. "She must've come for the swords."

No, she did not. I wanted to add.

"Ilang espada na ang nahanap mo?" tahimik na tanong ko.

Kumunot ang noo niya. "You never ask about the swords. Why ask now?"

"There's a rumor. A sword of Astraea has been held by someone, somewhere in Hawthorne... and you did not know about this." I said.

She went silent for a while. "Is that so?"

Natigilan ako sa paglilinis ng espada at pinagmasdan siya. Tahimik lang siyang nakatitig sa labas ng bintana ko. Nang tumagal ang titig ko sa kanya ay doon na siya napatingin sa akin at ngumiti.

"You knew." I said.

She shook her head. "I don't. But I will eventually. The swords will find their way to me when they're ready."

"Aren't you worried?"

"Of course, I'm worried. Not all holders will have good intentions towards the swords."

"Then, send me. After I take care of the knight and kill the witch, send me."

She smiled but then slowly shake her head. "No, you've done so much for me this past years... And I'm ashamed that I haven't even thought of rewarding you."

Napakurap ako.

Tumayo siya ng maayos bago inilapag ang kandilang hawak niya sa lamesang katabi ko. She placed a hand on my shoulder and looked down at me with all her glory and authority.

"I am granting you three months of rest, Mara Starling. As a reward for your servitude to my crown, I will give you a taste of freedom, then return to me."

***

-kimsyzygy

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.9M 183K 55
Chosen when a child, Lady Joselyn is trained to be a ruthless killer. She is destined to be the English king's assassin and protector. Only he and th...
45.4K 2.4K 43
Mara's bloodmark makes her a servant of the Royal Court of Vampyrs - until the King accidentally marks her as his mate. Meanwhile, dark unrest stirs...
4K 224 19
(Epic Fantasy/LGBT Romance) COMPLETED & PUBLISHING A Guard's Request will be published with Fantastic Books Publishing in October of 2023, but I have...
121K 5.4K 67
She is the poison but tasty. No wonder these five men are dying to drink that tasty poison. ~~~~~~~~ Asteria, the famous business woman who died in h...