Pokémon Grey

By CarlosShiny

Pokémon Gray. What if Ash had never traveled to Unova before? Ash now eighteen and World Champion, he wants t... More

A promise is a promise
The beginning of a new adventure?
A new friend
The infiltrator
A precious experience
An eventful tournament
Family reunion
A hard-earned medal

You're not a person who gives up like that, right?

37 2 0
By CarlosShiny

Ash and Serena arrived in Unova and met Anita, a sixteen-year-old new Trainer. The girl chose Oshawott as her first Pokémon, while a very particular Snivy joined Ash's team.

Our heroes also met Ivan, also a novice Trainer, but with unorthodox methods. They also learned about Team Plasma and their goals.

Last, but not least, Anita, despite having many doubts, decided to follow the path of battles in the gym. How will it end? Will Anita win her first medal? Who really is Carlos? All you have to do is read to find out!

You're not a person who gives up like that, right?

The day of Anita's first gym battle had finally arrived. The three had spent the night at the city's Pokémon Center. Anita, despite the reassurances, had not slept a wink. She was too afraid of failure to sleep.

Ash and Serena had reassured her until exhaustion. "It doesn't matter if you win on the first, second or tenth try, we will always support you, and so will your Pokémon. Do not forget." They had told her.

It was half past seven, and the three had gotten up to have breakfast and so had their Pokémon. They were sitting on a table near the window, with the sunlight streaming in and starting to warm pleasantly.

Anita, unlike the day before, had only had a coffee for breakfast. "Are you sure you're just taking that?" Ash asked her as he bit into a giant custard croissant. "Then you won't have enough energy for the fight." He added. "It seems to me that this boy only has two neurons. One thinks about battles and the other about eating" thought Anita, as she saw him devour that croissant in a couple of bites. "Be calm." Serena reassured her. "Ash always worries about these things." Serena tried not to laugh "In some ways she reminds me of my grandmother. Hey! You haven't eaten anything! You're pale, but do you eat meat? You seem to have lost weight since the last time..." Ash turned in her direction. "Now let's not exaggerate! I'm just saying that you need energy to fight. We'll talk about behaving like this in seventy years. As long as I have grandchildren, of course." Ash replied, leaving Serena petrified. "All right. Whatever you want, but if I feel bad, it's your fault." Anita got up and went to get a croissant. The smallest. It was filled with chocolate. Not her favorite stuffing, but she'd make it work for her. To avoid problems, she would eat it in small bites.

Once they finished eating, the three gave the keys to their rooms to Nurse Joy, said goodbye to her and left the Pokémon Center.

Serena, through the Maps application on her Smart Rotom, was ready to guide them towards the building.

They had to walk almost a kilometer before reaching her. They found themselves in front of a square, slightly smaller than the one the Pokémon Center overlooked, but built in a similar way.

It was made with large slabs of white marble, which reflected the light in an almost annoying way. In the square there were also flowerbeds, made of the same material, full of thick vegetation, a magnet for small Grass and Bug-type Pokémon.

The Gym was a tall building with a semi-cylindrical shape. It was made of concrete and glass. It was preceded by some concrete columns, made to resemble ancient buildings.

The lower part of the building was decorated in lighter bricks, compared to concrete, and in the upper part there were six arched windows.

The entrance was an extremely high, dark wooden door. It seemed he wanted to instill fear in the visitors. It was overlooked by a concrete balcony. At the top of the roof there was a Poké Ball-shaped sculpture, typical of all Gyms. Ash tried to open the door, pushing it. The thing he found most natural, as there was no sign inviting him to shoot. "Damn it! Does not open!" He complained. "Let's try ringing the intercom." Serena proposed. "Yes... right... I hadn't seen it." Ash replied. Anita approached the two and Serena pressed the button.

"Well, it's you!" A familiar voice answered. "I'll open." An electrical noise confirmed the opening of the door. Ash pushed it, allowing the girls to enter.

"I wonder if it's a gym or a restaurant?" The floor was made of fake wood, and there were numerous tables with chairs in the room. Each table was covered with a tablecloth that almost reached the floor. The walls, of a warm colour, were decorated with various finishes, giving the place a touch of class. On the ceiling several chandeliers

in glass and metal, also very elegant and well-finished.

Before they could look further, they were joined by Carlos. "Hi, Carlos!" They greeted him. "Hi guys! I guess you came here for Anita's challenge." he asked. "Y-yes. At least I think so." she replied.

"Well. Then follow me, I'll take you to the battlefield. After the fight, regardless of the result, it is the tradition of the Gym to offer lunch or dinner to those who challenge it and to those who accompany it. She explained her.

"Looks interesting!" Ash replied. "Is it possible that he always thinks about eating?" thought Anita. Meanwhile, the three had reached the battlefield.

As per tradition, bleachers were present on the long sides of the field to allow guests to watch the fight. On the left side was a device that caught Ash's attention.

It was a kind of box, with several cameras inside. Other cameras were present on the ceiling of the gymnasium and on the walls. "What's that box?" he asked.

"It's the automatic electronic refereeing system. It uses several cameras positioned in strategic places in the gym, is able to monitor every single event of the battle, processes and archives it. Finally, it determines the result. It must be set to the battle parameters before the battle." Carlos explained. Seeing Ash's bewildered expression, he realized she needed to explain it to him in a simpler way. "This device replaces the human referee in battles. You just have to tell him what the rules of battle are." Ash's expression changed. "Understood."

He replied. Carlos, meanwhile, had walked over to the device. He had opened a flap and pulled out a wireless keyboard, very similar to that of a computer. "Tell me, Anita. Is this your first gym fight?" he asked. "Yes." The girl answered. "Do you have one or more Pokémon?" She continued. "T-two." She answered her. "Last question. What was your Starter?" She asked as he finished filling out the form. "O-Oshawott." He replied. "Very good. The electronic referee is ready. We can start!" Carlos stated. "The gym battle between Gym Leader Carlos and Challenger Anita is about to begin! It will be a two-on-two fight. Whoever manages to render the opposing Pokémon unable to battle wins! Also, only the Challenger is allowed to replace her Pokémon. The first move goes to the challenger. Let the battle begin!" declared the referee.

"T-let's try it. Oshawott! Go!" The girl sent the Otter Pokémon onto the field, back in perfect shape and ready to fight. As soon as she entered the field she made a gesture of pride.

"Umbreon! It's your turn!" Carlos sent out the Moonlight Pokémon. "Mhmm, a Dark-type Pokémon, huh! Maybe a Bug-type attack can be effective. Let's try it." She thought her. "Oshawott uses Taglofury!" The Otter Pokémon ran at the opponent, brandishing its molluscsaber. Umbreon was standing still, like a statue.

"Dodge and use Shadow Ball!" Carlos ordered. The Pokémon obeyed, moving quickly and leaving the opponent dumbfounded.

At the same time, a sphere of dark, purplish-colored energy was generated from Umbreon's mouth. It seemed it was

surrounded by discharges of energy, similar to electricity. Quickly Umbreon threw the energy ball at the opponent. Anita didn't have much time to think. She had to do like Ash. Improvise. "Defend yourself with Fury Cutter!" She ordered her. Oshawott quickly moved her Clamsaber, as if to cut the air, arousing the curiosity of those present.

The new Trainer's plan came out as soon as the attack reached the Water Pokémon. The energy ball exploded anyway,

with less energy than expected, but still knocked the Otter Pokémon back a few meters.

"Try Aqua Jet!" Oshawott covered itself in water, and became a sort of loose cannon for the Gym. It was quite difficult to predict where she would go. "Try to counter it with Quick Attack!" Carlos ordered. Umbreon ran at full speed, managing to copy Oshawott's every move.

The two Pokémon collided in the middle of the battlefield, and both were thrown backwards. Umbreon landed easily on all fours, while Oshawott landed on his face.

Despite the hard impact, the aquatic Pokémon managed to get up, albeit with difficulty. "Do you feel like continuing?" Anita asked. The Pokémon replied in the affirmative. His body seemed to glow. "Very good! Then let's try Water Gun!" Anita ordered. From the mouth of the Pokémon Otter a powerful jet of water was generated which reached and struck the opponent, throwing him violently into the air. "So is this Oshawott's true potential?" Anita and Carlos thought at the same time. "Let's close it, Umbreon! Use Swift!" Warm yellow stars spawned from the back of the Moonlight Pokémon

, which were soon thrown at the opponent. "Oshawott dodge!" Anita ordered. But it was too late. The powerful explosion that threw the Pokémon towards Anita's side had already occurred, and Oshawott was lying on the ground, unconscious.

"Oshawott is no longer able to fight. Umbreon wins!" declared the electronic referee. "Come back, you did very well." Anita summoned Oshawott to his Poké Ball. "Now it's your turn! Lillipup!" The girl threw the Poké Ball of her second Pokémon, the Lillipup caught a short time before. "Counting on you! Use Tackle!" The Puppy Pokémon ran towards the opponent, who remained impassive, almost as if he wanted to get hit. "We've waited too long, Darkpulse!" From the mouth of the Pokémon Moonlight a series of rings of dark energy came out, their color was a dark purple, tending to black. "Dodge, quick!" Lillipup leapt, managing to narrowly avoid being hit.

"Lillipup, try Tackle again!" The Pokémon started running again, now closer to the opponent. The ground flowed rapidly under her paws. When she was close enough, she leapt up and hit Umbreon on the head, knocking him back slightly. "Throw it with your head!" With the powerful muscles of his neck, Umbreon threw the little Lillipup into the air, without the Dog being able to react in any way.

"And now jump and use Quick Attack!" Umbreon, using the powerful muscles of his hind legs, made a mighty leap. He hit little Lillipup full on, knocking her back.

"Lillipup is no longer able to fight, Umbreon wins. The victory of the match goes to the gym leader!" declared the electronic referee.

"Come back. You did your best. I do not. I was wrong to want to rush things so much." Anita commented on her defeat.

"You did your best, you'll see that next time it will be better." Ash encouraged her. "I think it will just take a little more training. As strong as Umbreon seems, he's bound to have weaknesses." she added.

"You say? Do you think..." The girl couldn't finish the sentence. Someone had opened the door, startling her. "So you're posing as the Gym Leader again, Carlos?" A male voice said.

Three young men entered through the door. They were dressed practically the same. They wore an outfit similar to that of a waiter. They wore a white shirt, covered by a black waistcoat, with three gold buttons.

They were wearing black trousers and brown shoes. They were wearing some kind of white apron. "And... who are you?" Ash asked.

The three introduced themselves, in the same order they had arrived. "I am Cilan!" The green-haired boy showed up. "I am the Gym Leader of Striaton City!" Then the red-haired boy showed up. "I'm Chili, I'm the gym leader of Striaton City." Finally, the blue-haired boy showed up. "I'm Cress..." Ash interrupted him. "Let me guess... the Striaton Gym Leader?" The blue-haired boy was disappointed. "Yes... But I would have preferred to say it myself..." To interrupt his brother's embarrassment, Cilan thought about it. "It's not important. In any case, Carlos will find a way to make it up to you." The boy snapped like a spring. "Y-yes. I'll provide immediately!" He answered, walking away.Anita's expression changed.

"You two know you." Cilan introduced them. "You are Ash Ketchum, the World Champion, and Serena Gabena, the winner of numerous Pokémon Contests and finalist of the Kalos Professional Showcase! What an honor!" Anita, at that moment felt like a nobody. Her travel companions had a curriculum to envy, she was a novice Trainer. Of three battles she had fought, she had won one and lost two.

"I take it you came here to challenge the Gym, right?" The green-haired boy turned to Anita. "Y-Yes." The girl answered.

At that moment Anita was experiencing a sensation that was very difficult to explain. She was a mix of nervousness and frustration. She could accept the idea of losing to a Gym Leader, but not losing to someone she pretended to be. Ash noticed the change in the girl. "So, if he's not a Gym Leader, then what is he? What are you doing here?" Ash asked. "We could define him as our assistant. He helps us in the kitchen, as a waiter and, if he serves, he is also the deputy Gym Leader. So, if one of us can't contest the battle, for whatever reason, we entrust him with our Pokémon, and he battles in the absent Gym Leader's place. " She explained to everyone. "I don't think I understand everything." Ash exposed himself. "Why are you three Gym Leaders? Wasn't one enough?" Ash asked. "Here, you see..." Cilan answered. "This Gym specializes in three types. I assume you already know this. Here you are. Each of us is specialized in a certain type. I specialize in the Grass type." He explained her. "I'm a Fire-type specialist." Chili added. "And you... you're a Water-type specialist, right?" Cress snorted. "Of course nothing can be hidden from you!" he answered.

Serena put a hand over her mouth, trying to hide her laughter that was escaping from her.

"Well... Carlos could pay you back by buying you lunch, if that's OK with you. We'll think about the battle later.' Cilan explained. Ash and the girls locked eyes. "It is fine for me." The boy answered.

"And what about Anita?" Serena asked. "Her Pokémon just finished battling. They will have to rest before fighting again. "We can take her to the Pokémon Center." The boy answered.

The three left the gym, taking leave with the three Gym Leaders with a "see you later".

As we exited the Gym, Anita's expression changed completely. She became sad and gloomy. This was immediately noticed by Serena. "Everything is fine?" she asked her. "No. Yes. I don't know. I don't know if we're ready to face the Gym Leaders. If we lost to an assistant... " she explained.

"Before you give up, you should try. Even if you lost, you definitely learned something. That's what matters." Anita remained silent "I wonder if things are really as he says. What would I have learned in that battle?" she thought.

The three arrived at the Pokémon Center, to allow Anita's team to rest. There weren't many people at that hour, so they didn't have to wait long.

With Anita's team taken care of, the three returned to the Gym. As they walked back, they saw a dark brown-haired girl wearing a magenta dress and gray jacket come out of the gym. She wore black shoes. And black Parisians.

She had a dark backpack, similar to a school backpack.

She was holding something in her hands, very tight. "It seemed impossible, but we did it!" Said the girl, in a festive tone.

"She managed to win the medal. She must be a very skilled Trainer. Unlike me." Serena placed a hand on her shoulder. "Do not say that. You will too. I feel that." Anita just smiled at her. "I wonder how she manages to always be so positive." thought Anita.

The three entered the Gym. They passed the restaurant area, where Chicco and Spighetto were setting up the tables for the upcoming lunch. "Good morning!" The three greeted the Gym Leaders. "Good morning to you!" They reciprocated. "Now the battlefield is occupied, Cress is facing a challenger. As soon as the field clears, it will be your turn." Cilan explained.

"On purpose. Now that I think about it, you didn't introduce yourself. What is your name?" Chili asked her. "Right... My name is Anita White"

The girl showed up.

Meanwhile, the three had reached the battlefield. The electronic referee had just finished announcing the rules. The three, as they sat in the stands, noticed that the challenger of Cress was none other than Ivan.

The two had just lined up their Pokémon. Ivan had sent out his Pidove, while Cress, instead sent out a Pokémon that Anita was getting to know, a Lillipup.

"The first move goes to the challenger!" The electronic referee decreed. "Alright then! Pidove, Quick Attack!" The pigeon Pokémon moved quickly, hitting the opponent and throwing him into the air. Maisello did not lose his temper. "As soon as you can use Take Down!" The Puppy Pokémon managed to land without any particular inconvenience, so it ran as fast as possible, ready to charge the opponent with its whole body. "Fly as high as you can!" Ivan ordered. "Jump as high as you can!" ordered the Gym Leader. Seeing the Doggie jump, Ivan smiled. Terribly predictable, he thought. "Use Air Razor!" He ordered. From the Pigeon Pokémon's wings, thick blades of air were generated that hit the Puppy Pokémon full force, throwing it to the opposite side of the battlefield, and causing it to slam violently against one of the barriers.

"Lillipup can't go on any longer. Vince Pidove." declared the electronic referee. "You did your best, but the last word has not yet been said! With the last Pokémon I'm going all out!" He declared he, as he summoned his he Pokémon.

Ivan also called his Pidove. "You just did your job." He commented, making the four spectators nervous. Pikachu in particular. Numerous bolts of electricity shot out of his cheeks. "Take it easy, man. I want to hope that one day he changes his attitude. Or we'll make them change it." Ash reassured him.

"Panpour! It's your turn!" Cress sent a Pokémon similar to a monkey into the field, It had two large blue ears, a tuft, resembling the jet of water from a fountain, a cream-colored snout with a tiny nose and a wide mouth. The arms were long and clear, and spread out from the shoulders to the hands. His hands had only one thumb, his legs were stumpy. The body was predominantly cream colored, with a small part of the chest being light blue. The rather long tail ended in a blue tuft formed by three dots.

Anita scanned it with the Pokédex. "Panpour. Spray. Pokémon. Type Water. Male specimen. He was a forest dweller and adapted to living in the presence of waterways. He can store water in the tufts on his head. Known moves: Water Gun, Ice Beam, Work up."

Ivan also sent out his Pokémon. "Pansage! Go!" The boy sent out a Pokémon similar to the one sent by Cress. The body was partially green and not blue and not cream, but slightly darker. The tuft on his head resembled some kind of bush.

Anita scanned it with her Pokédex. "Pansage, Grass Monkey Pokémon. Male specimen. He offers the leaves on his head to Pokémon with low energy, relieving tension. Known moves Bullet Seed and Scratch."

"The fight can go on!" declared the electronic referee.

"Pansage uses Bullet Seed!" From the grass-type monkey's mouth came a series of small seeds, launched at great speed, similar to projectiles. "Dodge and then use Ice Beam!" ordered the Gym Leader. "Damn! It is prepared to face Grass-type Pokémon!" Ivan thought. The ice-type attack froze the opponent, sending Ivan into a crisis.

"Let's take advantage of it! Panpour, use Work Up!" The little monkey closed its eyes and its body glowed blue.

"And now, Panpour, use Water Gun!" ordered the Gym Leader. The attack, powered by Work Up, launched the opposing Pokémon into the air, then causing it to fall to the ground, cracking the block of ice. "Pansage, come on, come on, use Scratch!" The Grass-type monkey stood up and ran. From one of the Pokémon's hands came sharp claws that reflected the light. "Panpour defend yourself with Water Gun!" A powerful jet of water came out of the mouth of the water-type Pokémon and hit the opponent, sending him flying into the air. "Try to land decently!" Ivan ordered.

But it was too late now. The little monkey was lying on the ground, defeated. "Pansage is no longer able to continue, Panpour wins!" declared the electronic referee. Ivan withdrew his defeated Pokémon. "You were really, really terrible. I wonder if you deserve to be one of my Pokémon." Upon hearing that sentence, Ash felt a strong desire to beat Ivan in the teeth with a rod, but for the second time in a few days, he restrained himself

"Pidove, you take care of it, at least you will give a minimum of decency to this fight." The boy sent his Pokémon onto the field. "The fight can resume, the first move goes to the Gym Leader." declared the electronic referee.

"Panpour, use Ice Beam!" From the mouth of the Water-type monkey came a ray of icy energy, white in color, tending towards blue. "Pidove! Fly and defend yourself with Air Cutter!" From the Pokémon's wings, blades of air were generated that struck the opponent's attack. The attack was powerful enough to hit the Pokémon.

"And now we're done with Aerial Ace!" The Pigeon Pokémon flew upwards and then lunged at the opponent, hitting him full-on and sending him flying into the air. "And now Air Razor!" He ordered him. From the wings of the Pigeon Pokémon, blades of air were generated that struck the opponent and sent him against the barriers.

"Panpour is no longer able to fight. Vince Pidove. The winner of the fight is the challenger." declared the electronic referee.

The two Trainers hospitalized their respective Pokémon in their Poké Balls; therefore, they met in the center of the field.

"As a reward for your victory, here's the Tris Medal!" The blue-haired boy declared, in a solemn tone, while he gave the boy a medal in the shape of a double triangle, with rhombuses on which there were gems, one red, one green and one blue. The boy slipped it into his medal holder.

"And now, if you want, you can stop here for lunch. It's on the house." The boy nodded his head. "I'm not interested in your offer. See you never again!" The boy walked away.

Ash followed him with his eyes as he entered the local restaurant. He saw him kneeling in front of a child, who could have been eight years old at most.

He was holding a Poké Ball, and he seemed to be saying something to that little boy. Something not very clear. After handing it over to him he left.

"Have you seen? He gave his Pokémon to that boy!" Serena commented. "Better for him. Maybe for Team Plasma, all Trainers are like him." Ash replied.

Anita didn't comment. Nor was Cress, though he was greatly displeased by the way the challenger behaved. If it were up to him, he would never have handed him the medal.

A few moments later, the trio of Gym Leaders entered the area dedicated to the battlefield. "Soon it will be time for lunch, what do you think to eat, before the fight?" Cilan proposed. "Carlos cooks." he added.

"It is fine for me!" Ash was quite enthusiastic. "Is it possible that this guy only thinks about eating?" thought Anita. But... in fact, she too was starting to feel a little hungry so...

"Speaking of Carlos..." Cilan asked Anita. "What Pokémon did he use against you?" The girl answered immediately, a little intimidated. "Umbreons." She answered her. "So Eevee has evolved. It's not very fair to face someone novice with a fully evolved Pokémon." The Gym Leader commented.

After the abundant lunch, consisting of appetizers of land, two first courses of land, two second courses of land, a sorbet, two first courses of sea and another two second courses of sea, finally it was time for the fight.

The three, escorted by the Gym Leaders, had entered the area dedicated to battles. "This gymnasium, unlike all the others, specializes in three types. Grass, Fire and Water, but you already know that. The Gym Leader you challenge depends on the starter Pokémon you have chosen." She explained her. "That's why Carlos asked me what my first Pokémon was." For Anita, things became much clearer. It didn't make any sense for her to be asked what her starter Pokémon was.

"The Gym Leader you challenge depends on the starter Pokémon." Chicco explained. "I chose Oshawott." The girl answered. "Very well, then I will be your opponent. It will be an honor to fight with you!" answered Cilan. "That's why Carlos asked me what my first Pokémon was. Under normal conditions she made sense ". She thought her. She also hoped her blank gaze hadn't been noticed.

"Very well, then we can begin. It's your first battle, so I'll only be using two Pokémon. If I had more medals, I could have even reached the Total Fight." She explained her. "I'll finish setting the referee and we can leave." the Gym Leader declared, as she fiddled with the keyboard.

"The battle between the challenger Anita and the Striaton Gym Leader is about to begin. It will be a two-on-two fight. The battle will end when either Trainer's Pokémon are no longer able to battle. Only the Challenger will be allowed to replace her Pokémon. " declared the electronic referee. "The battle can begin!" Following that declaration, the two were able to send their Pokémon into the field. "Lillipup! It's your turn!" Cilan sent out a Lillipup, a Pokémon identical to the one sent out by his brother. "Oshawott, let's show what we can do!" The girl sent out her first Pokémon.

"Let's start with Aqua Jet!" The Otter Pokémon covered itself with water, and launched itself low to the ground, in the direction of the opponent. "Dodge!" ordered Cilan. "Try to move as much as possible!" Anita ordered.

The water-type Pokémon complied, moving left and right, making it very difficult to tell where he was going. Poor Lillipup could not figure out where the opponent was coming from, and was hit full on, and thrown into the air. Despite this, Cilan did not panic. "Try to land and attack with Take Down!" ordered the Gym Leader. Meanwhile, Oshawott had landed and was catching his breath.

As soon as Anita saw the Puppy Pokémon running at great speed against her Otter Pokémon. "Try to defend yourself with the Molloscopsaber!" the Pokémon did so, holding out her shell with his hands and using it as a shield. The girl's plan worked. Oshawott retreated a few meters, but suffered no major consequences.

"Now use Water Gun!" From the mouth of the seal came a powerful jet of water that hit the opponent in full, throwing him into the air. Again, the Gym Leader didn't lose his temper in the slightest. "Use Work up!" The Puppy Pokémon's body glowed light brown, and her eyes did the same.

"Oshawott! Strike with Aqua Jet!" The Pokémon Otter's body covered itself with water, becoming like a sort of crazy projectile. "Come on, Lillipup, use Take Down!" ordered the Gym Leader. The Puppy Pokémon launched a powerful attack, made even more powerful by the force of gravity. The two Pokémon collided in midfield, generating a powerful explosion. When the dust settled, the outcome of the fight was clear to all.

"Lillipup can't fight anymore. Vince Oshawott." declared the electronic referee. "Come back, Lillipup. You did a tremendous job." Cilan called his Pokémon. "You can replace yours if you want." She reminded her of the Gym Leader. "Friend, do you want to continue or would you rather rest a little?" She asked the Pokémon. "Sha! Sha!" She answered her. "Good, then we can continue!" the Gym Leader declared. "Pansage! It's your turn!" The Gym Leader sent out the Grass-type elemental monkey. "The first move is up to the challenger!" declared the electronic referee.

"Oshawott! Use Aqua Jet!" She ordered the Trainer. The Pokémon Otter covered itself of water and lunged at the opponent. "Defend yourself with Whip!" Thick vines sprouted from the Pokémon's head. He crossed them in front of him to protect himself. "Hey! But it's the same technique Ash's Snivy used!" She thought. "But how can I counter such a technique?"

"And now throw it!" The lianas, compressed by the attack, were quickly released and, like springs, threw the opponent to the opposite side of the Palaestra. "Oshawott is no longer able to fight. Pansage wins!" declared the electronic referee.

Anita summoned her Pokémon into the Poké Ball. "You've been very good. You will see that Lillipup will make sure that your work is in vain."

From the stands Ash and Serena had watched the scene. "Looks like he took the defeat better this time." Ash commented. "I saw. It seems very positive to me. But Pansage looks strong. Let's see how he fares." The girl answered him. "I trust her." While the two were arguing, the girl had sent her Lillipup onto the field.

"The first move is up to the Gym Leader!" declared the electronic referee.

"Well, Pansage! Use Scratch!" The Scimperba Pokémon ran towards the opponent. It had a hand with a sharp shape, with claws that reflected light. "And now what do I do?" thought Anita. The girl looked quite nervous, unlike when she was fighting Oshawott.

"Try to defend yourself with Morso!" Anita ordered. The dog leapt up and, with open jaws, bit her opponent's hand.

From the Trainer's gaze, it was evident that that choice was not a thoughtful choice, but rather a choice dictated by desperation. This was noticed by the Gym Leader.

"Pansage! Throw it and hit with Bullet Seed!" The Pokémon Scimperba, with a quick movement of the arm, threw the opponent into the air. From his mouth began to come out of yellow-green seeds that hit the opponent in full.

By now Anita was totally panicked. She didn't know what to do. "Try Tackle!" She ordered her. The Pokémon was now landed. She had managed to do it at least decently, without particular consequences.

She ran towards her opponent. "Come on, Pansage, throw it with Whip!" While the little Pokémon threw herself against the opponent, two lianas appeared from the head of the same, which soon reached her.

It was a matter of moments before Lillipup was reeled up and thrown against the barrier. "Lillipup!" The Trainer was quite worried.

"Lillipup can't fight anymore! Gym Leader wins!" declared the electronic referee. "We have failed. Do I deserve your trust?" Anita wondered after calling Lillipup back.

The girl and the Gym Leader met in the center of the battlefield. "You'll see, it will be better next time." There

she reassured the Gym Leader.

In a short time the girl was also joined by Ash and Serena. They had approached her and set one down for her

hand on her shoulder. "Didn't I let you down?" The girl asked sadly. "Not at all!" The two answered at the same time. Serena quickly put a hand over her mouth.

She had again said the same thing Ash had said. At the same time. "Besides, you're not one to give up like that, are you?" Ash asked the girl. "I don't know." She answered.

"Do not say that. You will see that with a little training you will be able to defeat him. Ash encouraged her. The Gym Leader, who had heard everything, smiled. "Then it will be my duty, as Gym Leader, to do the same!" She answered.

"I already know who can help you." Ash's tone was quite enthusiastic. It was all clear, at least in his mind.

"I really wonder what he has in mind but above all what drives him to bet on me, despite the constant disappointments I'm giving him... what does he see in me?" Anita wondered to herself.

The three had left the Gym and were heading to the Pokémon Center, to make sure Anita's team was healthy after the battle.

While the girl was turning her team over to Nurse Joy, Ash had made his way to the video calling station. Anita was looking at him absently "are you perhaps carrying out her plan?" she thought.

Moments later, Ash had initiated the call. He had then motioned for the two girls to come closer. Serena had approached immediately, while Anita had hesitated a bit.

She had moved closer to Serena and almost hid behind Serena. She looked like she was afraid to know the person who was going to appear on the screen.

After a few moments, a man of about forty appeared on the screen. He had dark complexion, black hair and tied back and eyes of the same color. He was wearing a lab coat and shorts.

"Good morning Professor Kukui!" Ash greeted him. "Hello you, boy! And the girl next to you is Serena, right?" the girl was speechless. What had Ash told her about her?

"You know, Ash has told me a lot about you. Well, that is. He told me of your travels to Kalos. You've done some really amazing things!" she added. "Well... we did what we could. We couldn't leave all those people in trouble and..." the girl replied. "Don't say that. You truly saved all of Kalos!" The Professor increased the dose. "And not only that. He also told me about your Showcases and how you decided to participate in Pokémon Contests. Believe me, he never missed one!" He added. Serena just smiled. She was delighted that Ash thought of her even when he had traveled to Alola. "You know, I'd like to arrange, with Burnet and Ash's former classmates, to go see one of your performances Documents permitting." Serena didn't know what to say. On the one hand she liked her, but on the other... those girls could have been potential rivals. She quickly realized that she had no choice. "I'd really like that!" She replied, with a smile.

Anita began to feel ignored. She didn't want it to appear. She was too scared to do it. She feared their negative reaction.

She decided to move slightly away from where she stood. Maybe she did it on purpose, but she was almost completely hidden from Serena. "And who are you?" The Professor turned to the girl, who had just emerged from behind Serena. "M-much p-pleasure. My-my-my name is A-Anita" The girl introduced herself. "So Ash chose you as a Trainer to help achieve his goal?" He asked rhetorically. "Y-yes," she replied. "And knowing his passion for battling burns like a Fire Blast, he's going to want to lead you to the title of Unova Champion, right?" The girl nodded her head yes. "I-I'm not s-sure I'm the right person. I've p-lost pretty much every fight I've been in. I-I wonder i-what do you see in m-me that is so special." Anita was having one of her seizures again. "I'm sure that if they agreed to travel with you, Ash must have seen something that many others miss. A Hidden Power that not everyone knows how to recognize."

Anita cracked a smile. "I'd like to ask you a question, if I may." The Professor, at that moment was referring to Serena.

"Tell me everything." She answered. "I take it you came to Unova to participate in Showcases, right?" The girl nodded her head yes. "Know that I, Burnet, the boys and girls are rooting for you!" He encouraged her. "Thank you." She answered him.

"Sorry... but I have a little commitment. Why did you call me, Ash?" The Professor scratched his head, embarrassed. "Well, I just called so I could rotate the team. I'd like to switch one of my Pokémon to get Incineroar." The boy explained, "No problem." The Professor answered. Ash, meanwhile, had taken one of his Poké Balls and inserted it into the transfer device. A few moments later, the Professor did the same.

Within seconds the exchange took place, as agreed. The two Poké Balls disappeared and were swapped. This done, the three took their leave with the Professor.

"Can we use the Battlefield?" Ash asked. "God for it!" The nurse replied.

The three exited the Pokémon Center and headed towards the battlefield. As soon as they reached the field, Ash gave a hint of a smile. "I think it's about time we got Lillipup some training, too." He introduced. "And I believe that no master can be better than him! Come out Incineroar!" Ash sent out his Pokémon. It resembled a large bipedal feline. The predominant colors were red, black and gray. The torso was gray and had a black symbol. The latter consisted of a vertical line and two horizontal lines, front and back. From the shoulders came tufts of black fur made up of bands. The arms consisted of black and red stripes, while the hands were red and equipped with an orange pad and five clawed fingers. The legs were red except for two black bands similar to those on the arms. The feet were red and had three toes. The tail was red and long with a black band and tuft of black fur surrounding it. At the waist was a belt of red and yellow flames. The lower part of the muzzle was red and had a very thick coat, while the upper part was black. The teeth were very sharp. The nose was red and triangular, the eyes had yellow sclera and blue irises. On top of the head the hair turned black again. The two ears, also black, had a red fur motif that recalled the one on the torso.

Anita analyzed it with her Smart Rotom "Incineroar, Pokémon Colpibassi. Fire and Dark type and Litten's final evolutionary stage. Male specimen. It is capable of shooting flames from its belly. A band of flames wraps around her waist like a belt of fire. Known moves: Fire Fang, Darkest Lariat, Fire Blast, and Revenge."

After the check, the girl put the Smartphone back in her bag. "I don't know how a Pokémon like this can help Lillipup, but I think Ash knows what he does" Anita thought. "Okay... Lillipup! Come outside!" The girl took the Poké Ball from her bag and released her Pokémon. The latter, as soon as she saw Ash's Incineroar, got scared, hiding behind the legs of her Trainer. "Be calm! He just wants to help you!" The girl tried to reassure her Pokémon about her. Though even she wondered how a Pokémon like that could help her.

Serena, she somehow understood what Ash wanted to do, but she preferred that the boy explain everything.

"You know?" Ash began. "A Pokémon can become stronger by battling, but also in other ways." As the boy explained, the little Pokémon had slowly approached Ash's Incinaeroar.

She had started to smell him. He seemed quite calm and that he was trying to make her comfortable about her. "A Pokémon can also become stronger by learning new moves." She explained her. Exactly what Serena expected.

Meanwhile, Incineroar had recovered several branches, of different dimensions.

Once this was done, the Pokémon bowed to little Lillipup and offered her a hand, inviting her to come up. After an initial

hesitantly, the Pokémon climbed onto the hand of what appeared to her as a giant.

"Now I think it's only right that you know why I decided to have Incineroar teach Fire Fang to Lillipup and not another one of my other Pokémon." Ash introduced the speech.

Pikachu was perfectly aware of the story and knew how difficult it was for the boy to tell it. For this reason he appreciated the fact that he had decided to tell her of his own free will.

Before Ash could begin to report the attention of the three she was attracted by a boy who was panting. He was a boy who might have been around Anita's age, or a little older.

He had brown hair and eyes of the same color. He was wearing a long-sleeved green shirt, covered by a blue, yellow and navy jacket, a Canadian and sport shoes.

He looked like he was about to pass out at any moment. Ash and Serena rushed to help him before it was too late. They carried him all the way to the Pokémon Center, holding his arms.

Once inside, they immediately made him lie down on one of the long ottomans. The Nurse, who had witnessed everything, rushed to the three.

Meanwhile, Anita, who had asked herself more than a few questions seeing the two rushing to save the stranger, was watching the training of the two Pokémon.

Incineroar had taken one of the branches he had procured. His mouth was covered in flames.

At that point she put the branch in her mouth and bit him violently. The branch exploded into several dozen pieces, partially or totally charred.

"That's the Fire Fang move!" thought the girl. "It's a Fire-type move. It could be very useful against a Grass-type Pokémon like Pansage." A second thought quickly added to the previous one.

"It seems really incredible to me." She commented softly. "Ash hadn't asked him to 'Teach her Fire Fang' or anything like that. Yet he..." she continued.

Meanwhile, inside the Pokémon Center, the boy was starting to recover. He had gone from lying down to sitting. "Thanks for saving me. Without you I would have risked getting hurt." Ash and Serena just smiled. "And of what?" The boy answered.

"Oh... how careless. I haven't introduced myself yet!" The boy slapped his head. "Nice to meet you... Ash and Serena, right?" The two nodded their heads in agreement. "And you're Pikachu, aren't you?" The boy pointed to the Pokémon on the boy's shoulder. "Pika-Pikachu" The Pokémon introduced himself. "My name is Gilles." The boy finally showed up. "And now excuse me, but I have to think about my idiot brother." The boy got up and started to leave.

Ash held him by the arm. "You don't want to get so bad a second time again. According to the Nurse, you were in serious danger of dying." Ash took it back. "Let us give you a hand." he added.

The boy tried to move his arm abruptly, to make Ash let go. "It's none of your business!"

She snapped the boy. Ash stood in front of the boy, so as to prevent him from leaving.

Moments later Anita entered the Pokémon Center. She'd had plenty of time to figure out what had happened, and to witness some of her Lillipup's training.

The girl almost collided with Ash. She was afraid to ask him what he was doing in front of the door, but seeing that boy trying to leave, she got a little idea. She wanted to stop him from leaving the Pokémon Center, but she didn't understand why. "Alright then. I'll tell you everything." The boy understood that he had no other choice.

In an apartment in one of the many condominiums in the city of Striaton City lived a very normal family, consisting of mother, father and two twin brothers, Gilles and Didier.

The two brothers had a beautiful relationship. When they were little, they often shared their dreams, their wishes, what they would do when they became Trainers.

What Pokémon they would catch, how they would challenge Gyms and everything. They often pretended to be Challenger and Gym Leader, while learning to battle with their parents' Pokémon, naturally under their gaze.

Of all their parents' Pokémon, their favorites were a Scraggy and a Pancham.

The former was Didier's favourite, the latter Gilles' favourite.

The relationship between the two boys seemed perfect, nothing seemed to break it, at school they always sat in desks next to each other, they shared friends and girlfriends, they encouraged each other when one of them wanted to try a girl and stuff like that .

There had never been jealousy between the two. For no reason. There had obviously been some quarrels, but it was quite normal. Afterwards they always made up.

Yet you know. Good things don't last forever.

It all started a few days after the delivery of the first Pokémon to the two Trainers. That day, the two were accompanied by their parents to Professor Araila's laboratory.

The two had just turned sixteen, and it was, therefore, time for the two to choose their first Pokémon. It was a late winter day, and it wasn't particularly cold.

The snow was starting to melt and was forming, with the dirt and earth, a kind of thick and disgusting mud.

It was the worst phase of the year. Not so much for the arrival of spring, but rather for the inconvenience caused by the melting snow.

Faced with the choice of the first Pokémon, the situation was quite chaotic. "You choose first!" Gilles invited his brother. "No! It is right that you are the first to choose!" He countered the second. "I insist!" He increased the dose the first, as he pushed his brother in the direction of the three starter Pokémon. "Do not do that! You don't have to throw up your hands for that!" growled Didier.

"Will you stop? You are sixteen now! You shouldn't argue for these things! In other regions, kids become Trainers when they're ten, but they're much more mature than you!" His mother took him back.

The two brothers looked into each other's eyes. It was evident that their mother was right. They couldn't always fight about it. "Choosing your first Pokémon is a serious matter. He will be your trusted companion throughout your career as a Trainer. It's not a race to see who gets there first." The teacher took them back.

The two understood the hint and knelt in front of the three Pokémon. Snivy, Tepig and Oshawott. The two looked into each of the three Pokémon's eyes. Luckily the two boys had spotted different Pokémon.

"I think I have chosen!" Gilles looked thrilled. "Me too!" The brother replied. The two looked into each other's eyes and smiled. "My first Pokémon will be Snivy!" Gilles' choice was therefore the Pokémon Grass Snake "I'll take Tepig instead!" The brother replied.

Of course, he was aware that, on paper, he would have an advantage over his brother's Pokémon, but, since he couldn't know that his brother had chosen Snivy, he couldn't say he did it on purpose.

"Now that you've gotten your first Pokémon..." The tone of the mother of the two was rather strange. "It's time for the second." concluded the father. The parents of the two each took a Poké Ball and gave it to their children.

The father gave his Poké Ball to Gilles and the mother to Didier. "I guess you know what Pokémon are in those Poké Balls, don't you?" asked the mother. The two boys nodded their heads in agreement.

Two days later, Gilles and his mother were back at Professor Juniper's lab. The woman had greeted them immediately, no questions asked. She often had novice Trainers and Trainers come back to her for advice.

"Good morning." She greeted them. "Good morning to you." They greeted her. "How come already back? It's only been two days since I delivered your first Pokémon to you. Something happened?" she asked.

The boy limited himself to taking off his jacket, very carefully. He paid equal attention to taking off his sweater. There were several wounds on his arms, all from the same source. Some whips.

"So Snivy attacked you?" The professor asked, rhetorically.

"Could it be her? After all, the professor had talked about how Snivy had rejected several Trainers. Yet Gilles seems like a good guy to me." Ash thought.

In any case, the Pallet Town native decided not to interrupt the story. If he was going to help him he had to know what had happened. Perhaps she would ask him a few questions later.

"Exactly I tried to send her into the field, but rather than attacking the opponent, she attacked me, for no reason. Yet here at the lab she seemed so nice." The boy answered.

"So would you like to bring it back here to the laboratory and choose another Pokémon?" the woman asked. "At the moment I have only Oshawott left." She added. The boy nodded yes. "Maybe it's the best choice for both of us." The boy answered.

The professor didn't press further, allowing the boy to return Snivy and take Oshawott with him.

Once home, at least at the beginning Didier did not take it particularly well. "You only did it to have a Pokémon advantage over mine!" She accused him. "Sooner or later you and Snivy will have hit it off. It would have only been a matter of time." She increased the dose. "In a few days and things will settle down." At least that's what Gilles and his parents thought, but the truth was quite different.

The following days, the two brothers tended to ignore each other. Or rather, Didier tried in every way to reject his brother, sometimes quite violently.

School restarted after the forced break for the delivery of the first Pokémon, it became known to all. Usually the two boys competed for who would arrive first, but not this time. Indeed, it seemed that the two wanted to mix as much as possible with the group, with Didier a little ahead of his brother.

It seemed that the latter was talking to Andrea, one of their classmates. He was a classmate of theirs known primarily for not exactly being a nice guy.

He had been suspended numerous times and failed twice. He was the kind of repeater that few wanted to deal with. He responded badly to teachers and was often unjustifiably aggressive with everyone, so Gilles found it rather strange that his brother would talk to him. He had never done that before.

When Gilles got to class, he realized how the desk he had always occupied, the one next to his brother, had been occupied, precisely by that Andrea.

Understanding the situation, the boy could not help but give up and sit in Andrea's place, in the last rows. He couldn't believe a little thing like that had caused this.

Gilles decided to ignore it. He didn't want to make a scene like that in front of the whole class. If they later found out that the reason they were in that situation was choosing the first Pokémon, they would be ridiculed for life.

From that distance, Gilles couldn't tell what they were talking about. They could be having normal conversation, or they could be gossiping about him.

Didier tried and managed to avoid talking to his brother both at recess and at lunch, trying to sit as far away from his brother as possible. He wanted to try to talk to us, but he was aware that he wasn't going to solve anything.

The strangeness continued even during the return. Usually the two boys always came home together, but not this time. Gilles took the usual route to reach home, the route that he had always taken with his brother since they were little. The brother had decided to take another path. Longer.

"Did he decide to accompany that Andrea?" Gilles wondered. Not that he cared that much, as much as he loved his brother, he was now old enough to get by on his own. He didn't want to worry about it.

His parents didn't seem particularly concerned either. They were aware of what had happened between the two, but preferred not to intervene. They wanted them to fix it themselves.

The following days the situation remained almost unchanged, with the two brothers who always continued to ignore each other and to keep to their own business.

With each passing day it seemed that the two drifted further away, while, at the same time, Didier grew closer and closer to Andrea and further and further away from his brother.

He came home later every day and some days he didn't even come home. One thing that all of her returns home had in common was the poor condition of his clothes. Abraded, torn, dirty. One wondered what he did to ruin his clothes like that.

Another anomaly was that he often got up listlessly and looked tired, as if he wasn't sleeping.

Another strange thing was that there wasn't a day when Didier didn't ask his parents and grandparents for loan money, first small amounts and then bigger and bigger amounts. The promise to pay them back was enough to get him to borrow them.

One day, Gilles decided to follow his brother. He had come home at a decent time that day. He'd spent the afternoon playing video games and gobbling junk, ignoring his Pokémon, letting his parents take care of it. something that annoyed his brother quite a bit. Being a Trainer also meant being responsible for your Pokémon.

Despite the precarious situation between the two, the brothers were forced to share a bedroom. Of course, during the night they managed to have each other's backs, even when they were asleep.

The two brothers went to bed within moments of each other. Didier seemed to want to wait for his brother to fall asleep before fleeing. He waited about half an hour. It was something he had learned to do, it was the time it took his brother to fall asleep. When the half hour had passed, Didier got out of bed and left the room. He tried to be as silent as possible. He sure didn't want to be found out. He walked down the hall from the apartment, and took his jacket from the coat rack. The door was open, so he just had to be careful not to make any noise as he opened it.

He went out and started down the stairs. Their apartment was on the fourth floor out of twenty, so he could use the elevator, but he didn't want to make any noise.

He went down the stairs trying to be quick, but silent. He had no idea that he was being followed.

A few moments later, Gilles also got up and started following his brother. Since their apartment building was down an alley, the boy didn't have much choice in which direction to go.

Gilles followed his brother along the alley, later he followed him also in the main street, always taking care not to be discovered. He was trying to hide behind walls and posts and stuff like that.

In those moments it seemed to him that he was some sort of secret agent or something like that, like in the movies that he loved to watch, right with his brother, but that, for some time now, he had stopped watching.

In that case, however, it was a serious situation. Very serious.

Having banished that thought, the boy continued to follow his brother.

He crossed several streets, avenues and squares of the great city of Striaton. Gilles had to be very careful to avoid being discovered, he always had to try to keep a certain distance.

He was curious, but also worried, even though he didn't show it. Didier was his brother, after all. He really wanted to understand what was happening to his brother and what he had to do with that Andrea.

The crossing of the city lasted an apparently infinite time, Gilles had no idea how far he had walked. In his haste he hadn't brought the Smart Rotom with him. He feared he was lost.

In any case, Gilles soon noticed the fact that he was in an area of the city that he didn't know well. A set of city

neighborhoods he'd only heard of, known as the Great Shack.

It was the seediest area of the city, full of ruined buildings and dark alleys. Gilles was shivering. He would not have dreamed of visiting those areas during the day, let alone at night. He feared that someone with bad intentions might emerge from one of those ruined buildings, or at worst, a murderer. Gilles wondered what could drive his brother to that dangerous place.

Didier stopped in front of an apparently abandoned building. The facade, once a beautiful pink, was ruined. It lacked plaster and was covered in mould. The windows hung. Some had broken glass, others were totally absent. Didier looked around nervously. He had the feeling that someone was following him. Before sneaking into the building. Gilles hid behind a wall, still without the slightest idea of what was going on.

After looking around, Didier entered the building. Perhaps his suspicions were unfounded. Inside the building were several not exactly recommendable people. If his parents had discovered that he frequented those people... Gilles approached one of the ruined windows. He couldn't hear exactly what they were saying, but it was clear an exchange was taking place. Didier handed some money to one of those people. As soon as that person received the money, he gave a small smile.

This done, Didier left that building. Gilles had to move quickly to avoid being discovered by his brother.

He tried to curb the urge to enter. He knew he was going to take a big risk.

He followed his brother home and waited for the latter to go to bed before doing the same. "That should be enough to make up for my mistake." said the boy. He thought he wasn't heard.

"Repay what mistake?" the boy wondered. Certain. He knew his brother had gotten into a rough patch, but he wondered what all that money was for.

With that thought pounding in his head, Gilles fell asleep.

His plan was to follow his brother the next day as well, after returning from school. Before falling asleep he had worked out a theory and wanted to test it.

If they had saved up, he meant that they would have spent it. A few hours later, it was time to get up and get ready for school. The breakfast cups and the coffee pot had been made from the day before, to make life easier in the morning.

Contrary to other days, this time, Didier did not show up for breakfast. He had already gotten up and gone, who knows where. Over breakfast, Gilles and his parents had said little. Very little.

"I might get home from school a little later." Gilles began. His parents said nothing to them. They just hoped he didn't end up like his brother.

Little could they have known that his purpose was different, and much simpler. He just wanted to know what his brother was doing and why he asked for all that money.

After getting ready, Gilles headed for school. Immediately, the boy noticed that his brother was also present.

He was with the usual group of people he hung out with. They were on the sidelines, close to the exit, as if they had come there with the one and only purpose of leaving, skipping school.

And so it was. Didier and that group of boys dropped out of school, with Gilles following them in turn. He tried, like the previous time, to keep a certain distance, to avoid being discovered.

After having followed them, and having reached the infamous areas of the city again. Finally the boy could understand why his brother had asked for all that money.

"You managed to make it up to you." Said one of those boys, giving him a vigorous pat on the shoulder, which made them take several steps forward.

Gilles mentally connected the words spoken by his brother and those of that boy. From those words, evidently, Didier had broken or damaged something and had to pay it back.

They had still traveled a little way, they met up with other people.

Unlike those who made up the group, he had no idea who they were. They didn't seem like reliable people at all. If it were up to him he would have run away immediately, but the desire to find out what was going on pushed him to stay.

One of the boys in the first group handed the envelope containing the money to one of the people they had just met. He the latter slipped it into his purse.

A few moments later he walked away. None of those present seemed to care, as if he was part of their plan.

After about ten minutes, the boy returned, carrying a heavy-looking sack.

"I wonder what might be in there!" Gilles wondered.

The boy's doubts did not last long. One of the boys who had come with his brother threw himself into the sack, pulling a crowbar out of that sack.

"Mmm, yes. Seems solid enough." he commented.

A few moments later he put it back in the sack, and examined the second object. It was a handbag of sturdy material and dark in color, closed by a large zipper.

The boy opened it and took out the objects inside. Gilles couldn't quite identify those objects. They looked like knives or screwdrivers.

"Even these lock picks seem to me to be of excellent quality. You sure know how to give value to our money." In making that compliment, the boy particularly emphasized the word "ours". Even though, as far as he knew, that money was his parents' and grandparents' money.

So the brother wanted to return the money by stealing? He could accept everything, but not to be the brother of a thief.

It was too dishonorable.

In those same moments, Gilles became aware of a Pidove that he was flitting around. "He doesn't have these worries! He lives in this city and only has to worry about finding food. Maybe one day he will be captured by some coach and..." Splof.

The boy's thought was interrupted by a rather unbecoming event.

That Pidove had shit on his jacket. "Archeus Stoutland! You shit on me! If I catch you... " he shouted. By blowing his cover.

If up to that moment no one had noticed his presence, that curse had made him discover. He could hear the heavy footsteps of all those people walking in his direction.

Including his brother. He was the one leading the pack and he looked quite angry. He could try to escape, but it was only against so many other people. Most likely one or more of them could have reached him.

As athletic as he was, it was likely that someone was more so. Perhaps thinking too much of him had trapped him.

Two of the bigger boys had lifted him by the arms. He didn't know their names. For him, they had been just two of the many multiple failures who attended school.

One of those boys stuck his hand in his bag, annoyingly. He tried to squirm, but he was stuck. The boy, after taking the two Poké Balls from his bag, stopped rummaging. "Well... well... well... It seems that the boy has some Pokémon..." A few moments later, he locked eyes with one of the older boys.

"I think taking one of his Pokémon might be enough." One of the guys holding him down commented. Everyone else looked into each other's eyes. It seemed they were considering that proposal.

The silence was broken by Didier. "For me it can be done... after all he has a Pancham. And without a Dark-type Pokémon he is destined to remain a Pancham. With me... or rather... with us, he would become a very powerful Pangoro and he could help us in our... work " The boy motioned to his partner to pass him the two Poké Balls.

Didier was very clear about what the Playful Pokémon's Poké Ball was. It was older and more ruined than Oshawott's. Didier gave the boy Oshawott's Poké Ball, making him understand that he could return it without problems.

Once this was done, Didier triggered the Poké Ball's opening mechanism, allowing Pancham to exit. He also let his Scraggy out of the Poké Ball. "Now you are my Pokémon. You see... Scraggy is a Dark-type Pokémon. You should evolve into Pangoro." The boy was rather disappointed by the fact that the Pokémon showed no signs of evolving in any way, to the extreme disappointment of everyone present.

Gilles took advantage of the distraction of those present to try to escape. "Pancham! Use Stone Edge!" The boy ordered.

The Pokémon threw a powerful punch on the ground, causing huge blue boulders to emerge from it and surround it.

This made Didier and all the people around him move back but it wasn't enough to make those guys let go. He had to invent something different. He felt his limbs go numb.

"Pancham! Jump and hit them with Iron Head!" He ordered. The Pokémon jumped. As he jumped, the molecular structure of his head changed, becoming harder than steel.

First Didier, then all the others in turn were hit by the Pokémon in the chest and made to fall to the ground on their backs.

Some of them hit their heads.

This caused most of the group to be knocked out, but not the two boys holding him down. Which, in fact, had tightened their grip even further.

"Come on, Pancham! Attack with Thunder Punch!" The boy ordered.

"Cham?" The Pokémon looked worried. He knew that if he attacked those two, he would also hurt his Trainer. And he wasn't about to do it.

"On! What are you waiting for to do it? It doesn't matter if you hurt me!" He shouted the boy, making the Pokémon realize he had no choice. He jumped at one of the boys holding his trainer down and threw a powerful electrified punch at him.

"AAAAAH!" Gilles and the two boys shouted. But, finally the boy was free.

The two boys were stunned and had let go. Gilles was also a little burnt, but basically in good health. He called his Pokémon back into the Poké Ball and ran away. He managed to escape before his captors recovered.

Gilles was unsure what to do. After all, for the moment no one had done anything. Even if he had said to

someone who had obtained that material, as far as he knew, were not committing any crime.

In any case, Gilles' intrusion into his brother's affairs caused two effects. The first was that his group of friends tried to make his life more complicated in every way possible.

The second effect was more evident. Gilles continued to shadow the group his brother was part of, but each time, Didier was absent.

It seemed that Didier wanted to avoid detection. Perhaps he thought that his brother, after not finding him for so long, would give up.

And Didier's prediction did not turn out to be wrong. Gilles had not followed that group of people for several days.

Which is why Didier had started missing school again and returning home in a bad way. This set off an alarm bell in Gilles' head, it meant that his brother had resumed his activities.

It could have been the ideal moment to catch him red-handed and...

"And that's how I got here to you." The boy explained.

Ash, Pikachu and the girls looked at him as if he were an alien. He was truly a determined guy if, despite everything, he still wanted to regain his relationship with his brother.

"Sorry to interrupt you, but... while Gilles was telling his story, a police car passed." Anita interrupted them.

Everyone's expression changed, becoming much more worried.

"And then what do we do with Lillipup?" Anita asked, visibly worried about her Pokémon.

"Be calm." Ash reassured her. "Incineroar is very powerful. He will be able to protect her from any danger." Anita felt calmer after the expert coach's words.

Despite this, the situation they were experiencing was not the best.

A police car speeding through the city streets meant only one thing. Didier had been caught during one of those thefts and was about to suffer the consequences.

On the one hand it was fine with him, it was right that his brother suffered the consequences of his actions and that he thought carefully about the reasons that had led him to make that choice.

On the other hand, however, he still believed that his brother could retrace his steps if someone, more convincing and disinterested than him, spoke to him.

The four of them exited the Pokémon Center and headed in the direction Gilles was heading earlier.

The boy's hope was that at least his brother had somehow hidden himself or something. Of course it was quite unlikely, those things usually happened in movies and video games.

In real life, few would have dreamed of hiding in garbage cans or similar. Or, even more so, to hide in some alley, risking being trapped.

Racing made little sense, they would never recover the great advantage that the police car had accumulated, they might as well take it easy.

Not having many ideas about where Didier could have gotten himself, Ash and the girls decided, voluntarily or not, to follow Gilles.

They wandered around the city far and wide, to no avail.

"At this point I think they got him. On the one hand, I'm fine with it. But on the other hand... what kind of brother would I be?" Gilles wondered.

Ash placed a hand on his shoulder.

"I do not believe. If he's used to those things, as you say, he'll be hiding somewhere. Maybe he's already out... who knows." Anita tried to reassure him, even though she was the one who believed it least of all.

After several unsuccessful searches, while passing through one of the many streets of the city, they noticed something was wrong.

One of the dumpsters seemed to be moving suspiciously, scaring everyone.

"Pikachu, use Thunderbolt on that dumpster!" Ash ordered.

The electric mouse generated a very powerful electric discharge that hit the dumpster squarely, causing it to explode.

Those present had to protect themselves to avoid being hit by the discharge of waste generated by that explosion. Rubbish bags of all kinds and waste of all kinds were projected onto a large circular area.

In the middle of the waste, a boy, half burned and evidently unconscious.

"Did you kill him? Now they'll arrest you too!" Gilles was obviously worried. Luckily for him, after a few moments the boy recovered.

He tried to get up and run away, but was immediately blocked by the two boys. As much as he tried, dragging a good hundredweight wasn't easy at all, especially since the two had supported themselves.

"And what do you want from me? You know full well that you blew your chances." Despite these words, neither of them showed signs of letting go.

Didier had to consider himself lucky, unlike his companions, he had not been caught. Maybe dealing wasn't so bad after all.

"Look, I know very well why all this happened." Ash was very careful to make himself heard.

The boy stopped trying to free himself. Was that guy pretending or did he really know something? Although reluctantly, the boy decided to put Ash to the test.

"I know well that the cause of your argument is her." The boy took his Snivy's Poké Ball from his bag. As soon as the Pokémon came out, he immediately recognized his former trainer.

He locked eyes with the latter, before turning in the direction of Ash and Pikachu. Gilles felt uncomfortable, Ash hadn't told him that he was now the trainer of that Snivy.

Didier was even worse off. His brother had spilled everything to a complete stranger.

But what could he do? Attack him with one of his Pokémon? That stranger was Ash Ketchum. Just one of his Pokémon would totally annihilate his team.

He couldn't help but accept the comparison.

"Now that I see that you are Snivy's Trainer, I understand how he really felt. I understood why she had rejected me.

She didn't think I was worthy." Gilles' disappointment was palpable.

"Do not say that. You weren't the first Trainer to refuse. I myself saw it while he rejected one. Then... well... he asked me to fight and I understood everything." Ash replied, leaving both brothers stunned.

"Did you understand what?" The two brothers asked.

"What she really wanted. He wants to get stronger. And I think he's learned to understand if he's dealing with people who want it or if their goals are different. I am wrong?" The boy asked.

"Come on! Come on!" Snivy confirmed her Trainer's words.

"And wasn't that your wish?" Didier turned to his brother accusingly. "On the contrary. It was what we promised ourselves

everyday. So how come Snivy rejected you?" He added.

The brother didn't know what to answer. It was clear that that question had devastated him.

"I'm a boy like many others. Comets. After all. There are millions of people in the world like us. Just as there are millions of Pokémon like my Oshawott or your Tepig. Or even Pancham and Scraggy. They are Pokémon who have chosen... who have agreed to live with us. Even with all our limitations. And then there are Pokémon like Snivy. Who are not satisfied. Because my "wanting to get stronger" isn't enough." Gilles explained himself, leaving his brother speechless.

Or better. Didier had something to say, but he... didn't want to confirm to his brother that, in that moment, he felt the exact same sensations.

They were both aware that even if they and their Pokémon trained day and night all their lives, they would not achieve the same results as Ash and his Pokémon.

Ash had noticed that the situation between the two brothers, despite both knowing the truth, continued to look at each other badly.

Over time he had been able to mend numerous feuds. Even more complex than this. In all cases he had adopted the same modus operandi, after having brought the people involved face to face with the facts.

And that case would have made no exceptions.

"Now that you're here, facing each other, how about a fight?" Ash proposed.

"A battle?!?" Both Anita and the two brothers didn't quite understand the boy's proposal.

Serena, who, unlike the three, had already witnessed similar events, knew that Ash's method was very effective. She had also formulated a hypothesis as to why this was happening.

Of course, before becoming a theory, the hypothesis had to be confirmed, and that could have been the right situation.

"You don't have much to lose. At least try." The girl encouraged them.

"Okay..." The two boys replied, not very convinced. Ash was already ready to referee the match. "No more pleasantries. It will be a one on one fight. Whoever is able to defeat the opposing Pokémon wins."

Although a little hesitant, the two boys lined up facing each other, in what had become an improvised battle field.

"Very good! Pancham! It's your turn!" Gilles sent out his Pokémon. "Scraggy go!" The brother sent out his Pokémon. It looked like Ash's plan was paying off.

From Didier's Poké Ball came a Pokémon similar to a bipedal lizard. Its body was predominantly yellow. The head was darker than the rest of the body, except for the jaw. The legs were heavily covered with skin. The tail was very large and darker than the rest of the body. The belly was red and had three thin horizontal black stripes, the hands had three rounded fingers. The large eyes were located on the sides of the head. It had two small nostrils and an arched mouth. There was a small red crest on its head.

The two boys had both chosen the Pokémon that had been given to them by their parents.

"Let's start! Pancham go with Iron Head!" Gilles ordered. The structure of the Pokémon's head changed, becoming as hard as steel.

"Scraggy! Headbutt! Soon!" Didier ordered instead. The two Pokémon started running against each other, all the way to the center of the improvised Battlefield.

Contact between the two was inevitable, and due to the energy released by the impact, the two Pokémon retreated several meters.

Despite this, neither Pokémon seemed to want to give up.

A few moments later, in fact, Pancham had returned to the charge with a Thunder Punch. The Rascal Pokémon's arm, charged with electricity, was ready to lash out at the enemy.

"Scraggy! Bite the punch with Crunch!" Didier ordered. The Pokémon did so, quickly reaching its target and biting into its electrified fist.

Now the battle had turned into an endurance race. Would Pancham or Scraggy have succumbed first?

"Soon! Attack with Iron Head!" Pancham He hit his opponent with a violent blow of the head, causing him to let go. It looked like he was immobilized.

He had also let go and Pancham now had his hands free.

"Let's end it here! Thunder Punch!" Gilles ordered.

"Come on, come on! Try to defend yourself!" Didier ordered.

The Pokémon, which had recovered in the meantime, had time to pull the rubbery skin that covered the lower part of its body upwards.

Although the rubbery skin had cushioned the blow, the punch thrown by the Rascal Pokémon had been really powerful and had thrown it onto the opposite side of the road.

Despite the violence of the impact, the Pokémon had not yet given up. It still held the elastic skin taut.

"Scraggy, attack with High Jump Kick!" Didier was aware of the danger of that move. He knew well that if he didn't hit the target, the Pokémon would get hurt, but he had no choice.

The Skin Changing Pokémon jumped, and its knee glowed with an orange aura. Ready to strike the enemy.

Gilles remained wait-and-see. He was perfectly aware of the secondary effect of that move.

"Now "Now dodge!" She ordered the boy.

The Playful Pokémon moved about a meter to the right, not allowing the opponent's attack to hit. Scraggy, planted on the ground, let out a cry of pain.

"Very good! Let's end it here! Pancham! Use Brick Break!" The Playful

Pokémon and obeyed. He attacked his opponent with a powerful arm strike, which sent him back to the opposite side of the court.

Scraggy was knocked out.

"It doesn't matter that you won. You gave it your best!" Didier placed his Scraggy in his Poké Ball.

"As for you..." The boy turned to his brother. "I must apologize to you. I was terribly childish." Gilles was about to approach his brother and show him that he had accepted his apologies, when a familiar sound startled those present. They were the sirens of a police car.

"I knew it! They betrayed me!" Didier complained, even though, inside himself, he knew that he couldn't trust him.

The sedan, dark, long and with a rather pronounced wedge shape, stopped right in front of the entrance to the alley, so as to make any escape attempt impossible.

A woman got out of the sedan. She was wearing a tan uniform and wearing some badges. There was no doubt, although her clothing and hairstyle were very different from what Ash and Serena were used to, but there was no doubt, she was an Agent Jenny.

"Good morning, Agent!" They greeted her.

"Good morning to you, guys." The woman smiled back. Suddenly her expression changed, becoming more serious. "Didier. You're under arrest for theft." The woman took some handcuffs from her belt and handcuffed the boy.

He was a little shocked but expected it. After all, he was guilty and he couldn't say or do anything to defend himself. He didn't put up the slightest resistance even when the woman put him into the back seat.

"Just now that we had made peace..." Gilles commented in a heartbroken tone. On the one hand he knew it was right, but on the other...

Hearing those words and having understood that the subject was not very dangerous, the Officer moved away from the car to talk to the boy. From his expression it seemed as if he wanted to give good news.

"They also told me why he joined them and, I have to admit, it's a really stupid reason. He does not

he must know, but he will only be in for a week. I think a week in the cooler is enough for him to learn his lesson. But now I better go. Until we meet again!" The woman took her leave and returned to the car. The others greeted her in return.

"Now excuse me but I really have to go!" She greeted them Gilles. "I have to go home. My parents must be worried. Next time we see each other I'd like to battle with you, Ash!" Gilles took his final leave with the group. "And we will be ready to accept it, won't we Pikachu?" Ash asked the question rhetorically.

Moments later he joined the girls in saying goodbye.

Now the three were heading towards the Pokémon Center, where Incineroar and Lillipup were still training. Judging by the Low Strike Pokémon's expression, the little girl had made progress.

Without anyone saying anything, the little girl took one of the few remaining branches in her mouth. She squeezed it forcefully from her mouth flames were generated that enveloped the entire surface of the mouth.

With a single bite she managed to break and incinerate the branch.

"Wow, what power!" Anita was surprised. She couldn't believe that her Pokémon was so strong. "Well... with a master like that..." Ash commented with a smile.

Shortly after, the boy's expression changed. He knew well that, one day, she would evolve into Southland and...

"I'd say you've trained enough for today. It should be enough." Ash commented.

"Yes, maybe it's better for them to rest. And the same can be said for us." Serena added. Anita just nodded. She was actually a little tired. And if she wanted to challenge the Gym again the next day, she had to be at maximum concentration.

Anita couldn't sleep that night either. And, like the previous day, she managed to eat breakfast with difficulty, after being convinced by Ash.

The three reached the Gym at a good time, with Cilan already waiting for his challenger. "I knew you'd be back soon." He welcomed her. "I assume you trained with Ash." She commented.

The girl remained silent. She definitely didn't want to spill the beans about her strategy, or the Gym Leader would probably come up with something to counter her.

"Follow me." Cilan invited them. The three followed him to Campolotta. Everything was ready for the fight. Ash and Serena sat down in the stands, and shortly after they were joined by Carlos, who sat next to the boy.

Meanwhile, Cilan was fiddling with the electronic referee.

"Let's see if I remember correctly... you're Anita, it's your first Gym battle and your first Pokémon is Oshawott, right?" The Gym Leader asked. "Y-yes." She replied.

"Then we can begin. As a Gym Leader I can't refuse a challenge." Anita didn't know what to answer. Before that she hadn't visited any other Gyms.

"The fight between the Gym Leader Cilan and Anita, the challenger, now begins. It will be a two-on-two battle, however only the Challenger will be allowed to replace her Pokémon. The battle will end when both Pokémon of one trainer are no longer able to battle." The electronic referee announced.

"Lillipup! It's your turn!" The Gym Leader sent out his first Pokémon. Followed, a few moments later by the challenger. "Oshawott! It's your time!"

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2K 8 16
Ash and Pikachu continue their journey with his fellow research partner and friend Goh. A lot of adventure they through and even dealing with legend...
15K 325 19
After Leaving everything back in Kalos, Ash worries about the decisions he had made that day. " I regret Everything" He always says to himself. Ash h...
955K 16.6K 74
After his loss in Unova Ash returns home to regroup and plan which region he will go to next. However while planning his next region, tragedy strikes...
61.6K 977 13
It's been six years after Ash's time with the World coronation series yet his ambition to be the very best was still unreached in his own eyes. He pl...