Come Darkness, Come Light

By Imperfect-Writer

Also posted on ff.net. Summary: HTTYD AU - What if Valka and Hiccup had both been taken the night of the raid... More

Chapter 1 - The Beginning
Chapter 2 - A Good Start
Chapter 3 - Mysterious Discoveries
Chapter 4 - Unlikely Friends
Chapter 5 - Family Matters
Chapter 6 - It's The Little Things
Chapter 7 - Getting Smarter
Chapter 8 - Hard Questions
Chapter 9 - Up The Creek
Chapter 10 - Risky Business
Chapter 11 - Over The Edge
Chapter 12 - What's Left Behind
Chapter 13 - Wishful Thinking
Chapter 14 - A Change In Perspective
Chapter 15 - Mission: Fun
Chapter 16 - Amity Island
Chapter 17 - The Burgling Bog-Burglar
Chapter 18 - Friendship Is Magic
Chapter 19 - Reunion
Chapter 20 - Leap Of Faith
Chapter 21 - Confidant
Chapter 22 - See You Later, Dragon Boy
Chapter 23 - Ready, Set, Go
Chapter 24 - Stealth Mode
Chapter 25 - A Year In The Life Pt 1
Chapter 27 - A Year In The Life Pt 3
Chapter 28 - Peas In A Pod
Chapter 29 - The Call
Chapter 30 - A Troublesome Situation
Chapter 31 - On The Defensive
Chapter 32 - Captives
Chapter 33 - Revelation
Chapter 34 - Last Hope
Chapter 35 - Battle Buddies

Chapter 26 - A Year In The Life Pt 2

121 4 5
By Imperfect-Writer

A/N: I am not writing this story in a conventional manner at all. What I planned to be a single chapter originally has now turned into three parts because I can't write enough at once. Here's the second part. I won't even speculate when the third will be posted because apparently I SUCK AT THIS.

P.S.—Does anyone even remember what the story is about at this point?

Disclaimer: I've grown older and wiser in the months past, and I can positively say, HA HA. NOPE. NOT MINE.

MONTH 7

HICCUP'S POV

*Okay, bud. You're up.* I said a little too cheerfully, trying unsuccessfully to hide my amused grin.

Toothless sent me his best death glare, although to me it was more of a cute pout. His ears were flat against his head, his pupils were slitted, and his eyelids were halfway lowered, but still—cute as a bunny. That thought had me covering my mouth to stifle any sound and Toothless huffing his displeasure at our situation.

*I think you're enjoying this a little too much.* He grumbled, peeking over the rock we were crouched behind in an attempt to spot any Scale-shifters. I don't know why he bothered. They spent most of their time camouflaged, regardless of if they were aware of any present danger. Toothless would have more luck finding them by sound. Following his nose would be useless since the entire island would reek of Scale-shifter scent.

*I'm only enjoying it because I know you'll be fine. Your scales protect you from the acid.* I pointed out, glancing down at my vulnerable skin with disdain. If only I had scales of my own. My armor was good, but not impenetrable. Better to let Toothless handle this one, just in case.

*They still have teeth and claws.* He retorted, his ears flying up at the end of his statement as he heard signs of movement that my human ears couldn't pick up. I stilled, waiting for a signal. After a few silent moments, his tail curled around to lightly touch my shoulder, telling me without words to wait here. I nodded minutely, hunkering down even further.

Toothless leapt over the rock gracefully, disappearing from my sight. It wasn't until I started to squirm with the task of remaining in place that the snarls broke out. As much as my instincts screamed at me to get up and see what was happening, I had to stay hidden. I would only become a liability if the Scale-shifters noticed me.

I took comfort in the fact that while furious screeching filled my ears, there were no sounds of pain coming from Toothless. He would probably brag later about how he took on an entire pack of Scale-shifters by himself. Shimmer especially loved his tall tales. His ego always got an unhealthy boost from her awestruck expressions. If only she were here to witness what was probably just Toothless dodging around, trying his best not to get covered in the green acid.

Anytime now, bud, I thought impatiently, glancing up at the sky to check the sun's position. My mom would worry if we weren't back home by nightfall. I promised her we wouldn't be late for dinner.

As if Toothless heard me say the words aloud, the angry growls and rough scuffling started to fade as he led the Scale-shifters on a wild chase in the opposite direction. I breathed out a sigh of relief, standing and hopping over the rock, making sure to watch my footing. The last thing I wanted was to step in the acid and ruin a perfectly good pair of boots.

My hands scrambled to take out the small, empty jars I'd brought along. I needed to hurry and collect the acid before the Scale-shifters returned. Luckily for me, there was no shortage of the bright green substance. There was no doubt I wouldn't have fared well in Toothless' place.

By the time I was placing the lid on the last jar, my task complete, I was starting to feel anxious. It's how I always felt when Toothless was out of my sight for an extended period of time. Especially when I knew there was an entire pack of dragons on his tail. I mean, what if I was wrong earlier? What if Toothless did get hurt?

I chewed my lip, debating my options. Maybe I should follow their trail...make sure everything is fi—

Hot breath puffed out from behind me, ruffling my hair lightly and causing my muscles to tense. Uh oh...I winced, slowly turning to face the glowering Scale-shifter. A deep growl rumbled from its chest as its previously invisible form flickered wildly with color before landing on blood red, perfectly fitting for its current mood. It snapped its jaws an inch from my face, and I flinched.

*U-Um...hi?* I stammered with a nervous chuckle.

The feral dragon took a moment's pause to ponder my use of thought-speak, and I figured that was my cue to run like hell. I bolted to my right, heading towards the forest. Using the trees for cover was my only chance. It was less than a second before I heard the Scale-shifter come roaring after me.

I pushed myself forward, willing myself to stay upright. Now was not the time to be clumsy. I hugged my saddlebag full of acid tightly against my body, trying to keep any from spilling out, while simultaneously hurdling exposed tree roots and ducking under low branches. The dragon behind me was having a much harder time getting through the forest's natural obstacle course due to its size, and the snarls it released grew louder the more frustrated it became.

My mistake was glancing over my shoulder to gauge the distance between us. As soon as my attention was diverted in the slightest, the undergrowth attacked. My toe caught the edge of a large stone, sending me crashing to the ground. Because of my faster-than-average reflexes, I managed to cradle my saddlebag and turn so I landed on my back, cushioning the impact on the fragile jars. The wind was knocked out of me in the process, though. I coughed, struggling to regain my breath.

My eyes widened as I noticed the wild dragon bearing down on me, and I attempted futilely to back up using my elbows. I supposed it was too late to have a reasonable conversation...I squeezed my eyes shut as I waited for the impact of the Scale-shifter slamming into me, but that moment never came.

A high-pitched screech rang out, bouncing off the tree trunks, then a fiery blast had me rolling over to cover my face. Toothless! He came back for me! I gasped, quickly spinning around to see that my dragon had taken up a protective stance in front of my prone form, smoke exiting his nostrils as he glared down his enemy.

The Scale-shifter was now holding a limp front leg to its chest, its teeth bared defensively even as it turned its head away submissively. Its growls subsided to irritated whines, and finally it limped off in defeat, throwing one last indignant snort over its shoulder.

I coughed once more, allowing air to fill my aching lungs. Toothless circled me, checking for any injuries. A groan escaped me as I pushed myself into a sitting position.

*I think that went pretty well, considering...* I shrugged, fighting off a smile. Now that the immediate danger had passed, it was easier to find the humor in the whole situation.

Toothless' hooded eyelids returned.

MONTH 8

HICCUP'S POV

My face scrunched up in concentration as I poked the needle through the thin piece of leather, drawing the thread through the tiny hole. I wanted to do it perfectly the first time around, so I wouldn't have to go back and make repairs later. I already had to alter my flight suit far too often due to my random growth spurts. Who knew getting older could be so annoying?

At the increasing volume of scuffling to my left, I sighed and lowered my suit onto my lap. Toothless and Shimmer had decided that the best place to wrestle was right next to me. Normally I would join in the fun, but I wanted to finish my adjustments before our next mission in a few days. I couldn't go without proper protection, after all.

*Do you two mind?* I huffed. *I'm trying to focus here.* Instead of a response, all I got was an errant spike flung at my head. I yelped in surprise and ducked, narrowly avoiding getting stabbed in the brain.

Shimmer froze and immediately shrunk down apologetically, curling her tail around herself. Toothless, who had been pinned just a moment previously, rolled onto his feet and growled a simple warning to the Spike-tail to be more careful. She didn't meet his gaze, and quickly busied herself with cleaning her wings.

*It's fine, Shimmer.* I assured her, hoping to defuse the sudden tension. *It was an accident.* I elbowed Toothless discreetly when he ambled close enough, jerking my chin in her direction. He rolled his eyes at my silent command.

*Yeah, an accident.* He acquiesced. Shimmer raised her head, glancing between us before hesitantly relaxing her stance.

*I'll go get you some fish to make up for it!* She announced, her eyes lighting up with her idea.

I raised a hand. *You don't have to—* She took off, her flapping wings sending a burst of wind my direction and blowing the needle out of my loose grip. *—do that.* I finished pointlessly.

Toothless nudged my shoulder, attracting my attention. *You've been working on that thing for hours!* He complained, smacking his tail over my flight suit. *We already missed breakfast. Are you aiming to miss lunch, too?* He grumbled, plopping down next to me.

*It seems like Shimmer's got us covered on that one.* I snorted, leaning against the moss-covered rock at my back. The nest was a flurry of activity. Some dragons were either coming in or going out, others were playing or grooming, and a few were even engaging in their species' mating ritual. They happened quite often. While the female dragons all lay their eggs within the same month-long period every year, they can choose their mate whenever they like.

I bit my lip, glancing over at Toothless. Sometimes I couldn't help but wonder if I was holding him back from a better life. He was my other half, sure...but what if he had another other half? We'd never come across any more Night-wings, but not for one second did I believe that Toothless was the last of his kind. Life couldn't be that cruel.

*I know what you're thinking.* Toothless' exasperated voice cut through my inner turmoil. *How many times do we have to have this conversation?* His tone was slightly petulant.

*Until you agree that I'm right.* I retorted, crossing my arms and staring straight ahead.

*Stubborn.* He muttered simply, and out of my periphery I could see him shaking his head. *How about this—I'll get a mate when you get one.* He suggested, unable to contain a snicker at the prospect.

I grimaced and glanced back at him incredulously. *M-Me? A mate?* I spluttered, my cheeks blazing red. *No way! Humans are stupid!* I insisted a little too forcefully.

*Oh, come on!* Toothless chided in amusement. *You have an endless amount of females to choose from, unlike myself! Surely there's one out there that would make a decent match!* He reasoned. I scowled, refusing to engage in the subject any longer. I guess he won this round. Stupid reptile!

*Okay, fine, whatever.* He relented, still in good spirits. *Probably for the best I don't find a mate, anyway. I think Alpha would lose his mind if there were any more Night-wings in the nest.* He joked, but the words struck deep because they were true. Alpha tolerated Toothless, but there's no way he'd ever let more Night-wings live in his territory. Especially after Toothless' mother, Jade, had acted so hostile during her brief stay here. I couldn't remember her, but my mom had told me all I'd needed to know. It still baffled me that she'd been able to leave Toothless behind. All the dragons I'd ever come across defended their hatchlings with absolute ferocity, and they definitely didn't pick favorites.

If we ever managed to find more Night-wings, I'd like to study them. Toothless' behavior shed some light, but it was hard to tell which parts were natural to his species and which parts he learned from the other dragons or even my mom.

I felt a nudge on my shoulder before Toothless settled down in front of me, resting his giant head on my lap as he stared up at me through soulful eyes. *What is it?* He wondered, reading my expression easily.

I shrugged, scratching the top of his nose absentmindedly. *Just thinking about your family. I wonder where they are now.* I mused. Shadow would be full grown. Would he have split up from Jade by now? Were they even alive?

Toothless crooned contentedly, closing his eyes as I flattened my palm over his scales. *My family is right here.* He murmured.

MONTH 9

HICCUP'S POV

I scowled, throwing my knife at my target with a little more force than was necessary. It lodged itself deep into the bark of the tree I'd aimed for, sending splinters of wood flying in multiple directions. Toothless, who was resting in the branches of said tree, almost hidden from sight, sighed in boredom.

*I don't get it!* I huffed, stomping forward to retrieve my weapon. *Mom tells me she wants me to come along, then sidelines me at the first sign of trouble. I'm not five! I can take care of myself!* I yanked out the knife, spinning it between my fingers as I began to pace.

*She just wants to protect you, Hiccup. You can't be mad at her for that.* Toothless reasoned, letting out a long yawn that made me wonder if he was even truly paying attention.

Without looking, I threw the knife back at the tree, hearing the thud as it hit its mark. *I'm not mad! I'm just...frustrated!* I growled, my eyes instinctively scanning my surroundings in the following silence. We were far from the viking town my mom was currently in gathering supplies, but humans tended to wander. As irritated as I was, I made sure to always keep a wary eye out, for Toothless' sake if not my own.

*You saw how many ships were in the port.* He pointed out. *There are way more vikings here than usual. She just wants to get in and out, and that's easier to do when she's by herself and not worried about you.* His tail swung down to swipe at my hair affectionately. I ducked out of his reach, gently smacking his tailfin, though his words had calmed me. I could hardly argue with fair logic.

I moved to once again pull my knife out of the tree. *There were a lot of ships.* I noted. *Do you think—* I was cut off abruptly as Toothless leapt from his branch, snatching me up by my shirt before heaving me back into the tree, even higher than he'd been before. The whole action took only a second, and the sudden motion of it made my stomach roll. I clung to the thin branch, wishing I had claws to help stabilize myself even as Toothless kept a steady grip on me. I could feel the tension in his muscles, and I didn't bother asking what was happening. I simply turned and silently crawled onto his back—my safe place.

Toothless was rigid as his ears flicked forward, and I followed his gaze in an attempt to see whatever danger he'd spotted. Unfortunately, my senses weren't nearly as powerful, so it wasn't until the sound of leaves crunching met my ears that I finally made out the form of a girl walking our direction. She seemed to have no destination in mind, as her eyes were glued to the ground. Every now and then she scuffed the earth with her boot, muttering under her breath too quietly for me to hear what she was saying. Wild blonde hair fell in front of her face, blocking her features, yet there was something...familiar about her.

I tilted my head in curiosity, inching to the right to try and get a better view. Toothless shifted his wing to block my advance, raising his lip in warning. I frowned but obediently stayed in place, not wanting to accidentally expose us. In a few seconds she would pass us by and no harm would be done, and I could go back to—

My knife! My eyes widened when I realized it was still stuck in the tree, Toothless having grabbed me before I could pull it out. I sucked in a sharp breath as the viking girl caught sight of the weapon, her eyebrows furrowing in confusion. She raised her head slightly, finally allowing me a full visual. I did a double take as recognition flowed through me. Surely that isn't...?

*Camicazi?* I whispered.

If I'd been sitting on the branch, I would've fallen out of the tree due to shock. It had been years since I'd seen this girl, and here I find her on some random island? I'd given up the hope of seeing her again long ago. My mom and I didn't want to risk returning to Amity Island, and I could hardly visit Cami where she lived. And now...well, now we were strangers.

There were several noticeable changes in her appearance. For one, she was taller. Still short, of course, but she'd gained quite a few inches; the sword at her hip no longer dragged on the ground. Her cheeks had lost their roundness and her movements seemed more graceful.

Huh, I thought, Cami is kind of...pretty? I hadn't seen many pretty vikings, excluding my mom, so I wasn't sure what the standards of attractiveness were for female humans, but Camicazi's face was definitely pleasing to look at. I hadn't noticed it when we'd first met, but now it seemed glaringly obvious.

My thoughts scattered as Cami marched over to our tree and yanked my knife out of the bark. She studied it for a moment before glancing around, clearly looking for the owner of the small weapon.

"Who's there?" She called, her voice more mature as well. Toothless was so still that I couldn't even feel him breathing under me. "I know you're there so you might as well quit hiding," she continued, annoyance ringing in her tone. Getting no response, Cami scowled in exasperation, spinning in all directions in an attempt to spot anyone.

Right when I was sure she would give up and move on, our bad luck decided to show itself in the form of a single leaf fluttering down past us and brushing lightly against her cheek as it floated to the ground. The air seemed to become charged with tension as she slowly raised her gaze to where Toothless was now crouched, his wings rising as he released a rumbling growl that shook the tree.

Camicazi's jaw dropped and her previous annoyance gave way to fear and...determination? She immediately unsheathed her sword—dropping my knife in the process—and held it out in front of her while backing up to create some distance. Her jaw clenched and fire danced in her eyes as she met Toothless' gaze without flinching. My dragon, in return, interpreted her actions as a challenge.

*Toothless, no!* I commanded, adding a short snarl at the end so he'd take me seriously. He looked back at me incredulously.

*She wants to hurt us!* He protested.

*You're not killing Camicazi!* I retorted, already climbing off his back and making my way down. Once I reached the lowest branch, I let myself drop the rest of the way, landing neatly on my hands and feet. Toothless followed directly behind me, maintaining his defensive crouch as he wrapped his tail around my arms and legs protectively.

Any aggression Cami had been channeling slipped away as soon as I made myself visible, and her sword clattered onto the grass. She stared at me in disbelief while simultaneously looking me over, as if she couldn't believe I was real.

"H-Hiccup?" She sputtered. "Is that you?" I smiled, elated that she recognized me as well, and nodded vigorously in response to her question. "You're alive?" She pressed, which made my smile quickly disappear as I frowned with confusion.

*Why wouldn't I be alive?* I asked. When her only answer was more baffled silence, I suddenly remembered that she couldn't hear thought-speak. "Sorry," I apologized, even though she wouldn't understand my reason for it. "Why wouldn't I be alive?" I repeated, my throat feeling scratchy from disuse. I coughed a couple times, trying to clear it.

Her gaze flitted to my right, where Toothless stood stoically at my side. "Toothless," she murmured, the corner of her mouth lifting slightly as she remembered him. His harsh expression faltered, his pupils widening a bit. "I..." she trailed off, shaking her head. "I don't understand. Where have you been? For years, I waited! You never came!" She accused, making me duck my head in remorse.

"I couldn't. It was too dangerous," I explained vaguely.

"Too dangerous for who?" She snapped, her sudden anger taking me by surprise. "Do you have any idea what's been going on these last few years?" She demanded, clenching her fists. I remained silent, completely lost as to why she looked about ready to bite my head off.

Cami scoffed. "Of course you don't, dragon boy," she remarked, the once amusing nickname now meant to hurt. I shifted closer to Toothless, wishing we were still safely hidden in the tree.

"It's been hell, Hiccup," she revealed bluntly. "The dragons don't just attack Berk anymore. They're everywhere. And they don't just steal some food. There are always casualties!" She fumed. "I've lost people—good people!" I blinked in shock, my thoughts racing.

None of this made any sense. Dragons hunted for themselves; they didn't need to steal food from humans to survive. In fact, they avoid it at all costs because they know humans are so hostile. What is it about the dragons in the south that makes them so bound and determined to stir up trouble with vikings? They can't all have a death wish! It's not like there was a shortage of fish in the ocean!

I rubbed my forehead, hesitantly standing to my full height. Cami gulped and took another step away from me, eyeing me warily. I sighed, holding up both hands in surrender.

"I would never hurt you," I reassured her. She let out a breath, straightening up with a brave set of her jaw. "I don't know why the dragons down here act so strangely," I confessed. "I'm sorry about the nest-mates you've lost," I added genuinely.

Cami's stone wall of emotion cracked just enough for an amused snort to escape. "Nest-mates?" She echoed.

I bit my lip, sharing a brief glance with Toothless. "Um...viking...kin?" I ventured. She rolled her eyes, and I no longer felt like the tension would drown us.

Her expression grew contemplative as she observed me. "You're different," she noted.

"Good different or bad different?" I wondered.

She shrugged, tucking a stray piece of hair behind her ear. "I don't know...just different." A playful smirk appeared on her lips. "Taller," she pointed out.

I chuckled, gesturing toward her. "Same goes for you. Looks like you almost grew a full inch!" I teased lightly.

Cami stuck her tongue out at me before laughing, and I had a feeling if she'd been close enough, she would've punched me. "Is that a sense of humor I detect? Gods, you really have changed!" She exclaimed dramatically.

"Yeah, yeah," I mumbled, waving her off half-heartedly.

The following silence was much calmer, and after a moment Camicazi sighed in defeat and walked toward me, picking up my forgotten knife as she went. Toothless stepped in front of me, baring his teeth at her with a threatening hiss. She paused, slowly holding out my blade handle first.

"I'm sorry I got so riled up, Toothless," she told him sincerely. "I know my problems aren't Hiccup's fault, I just..." Her gaze shifted to meet my own. "I missed him," she admitted. Toothless held her there for another minute, considering her words, then finally stepped to the side so she could reach me. I nodded at him gratefully, and gently took the knife from her grip, my fingers brushing hers.

"I missed you, too, Cami. I've just been...busy," I offered lamely. "What are you doing this far north, anyway?" I questioned.

She grimaced, tracing her scabbard absentmindedly. "Looking for reinforcements mainly." I raised an eyebrow at the unexpected answer. "It's getting harder to defend the island with our small numbers," she explained. "A lot of mercenaries pass through here. It's expensive, but we're pretty low on options these days."

"I wish there was something I could do to help," I sympathized, feeling utterly useless. It was a new sensation, wanting to help humans. I saved dragons all the time, but this was something else entirely. It's not like I could stop the raids. I wouldn't even know where to start.

Cami gazed at me in the same scrutinizing manner as before, and I resisted the urge to growl. "What?" I practically whined, shifting from foot to foot.

She smiled. "You are different," she insisted, a bit of awe in her voice.

My eyelids drooped slightly. "Yeah, we covered that," I grumbled.

She looked from me to the direction of the village, then back again. "My mom is expecting me soon...I suppose there's no way I can convince you to come with me?" She guessed, though there was a glimmer of hope in her eyes.

I stepped closer to Toothless with a regretful shake of my head. "I don't belong with all of you," I whispered.

Instead of upsetting her, my statement made one corner of her mouth lift. "No. You belong with him," she acknowledged, nodding toward Toothless. He purred in agreement, rubbing his head against my arm.

"Hiccup?" The vulnerability in that one word made me focus on Cami with rapt attention. "Don't disappear again," she pleaded.

I couldn't deny such a heartfelt request from the only human friend I'd ever known. "Never," I promised, this time meaning it.

A/N: Yes, Camicazi's appearance was brief. But she'll be around. On another note, we're only a few chapters away from...something...interesting happening. Any guesses?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

197K 5.5K 31
- ORIGINAL VERSION - Hiccup Haddock was a child born on the village of Berk, then to be taken by a NightFury in a dragon raid without a trace. But wh...
223K 3.6K 29
When Astrid runs to tell the village, Hiccup goes through with his plan to run away. 10 years later, all raids have stopped, and a Night Fury is shot...
6.9K 217 22
It all starts at the episode of auction heroes. Cause, what if something went wrong? What if Viggo had a younger sister who happened to be friends wi...
31.4K 420 31
*completed* What if stoic never found out about toothless? What if hiccup had to go with stoic to the dragon nest? What if hiccup found a female nigh...