Intricacy of Betrayals

By silentreaderisreadin

Rushda marries the renowned industrialist's son, the heartthrob Sheryaar Ahmed to avoid marrying the guy her... More

1. the lost and new dreams
2. the magazine
3. hopeless desire
4. the pool party
5. the guy in her dream
6. the determination
7. revelation
8. the new friendship
9. the internal conflicts
10. losing the battle?
11. bestie's engagement shenanigans
12. the stranger in her room
14. the beginning of the rivalry
15. the heartbreaks

13. puzzled feelings

578 43 26
By silentreaderisreadin

Soon after they have the cake, Rida unboxes her gift.
"Oh my god, it is so pretty." Sadia compliments.
"It is just a bag, Sadia. You've so many prettier than this." Rushda says.
"They ain't Chanel."
"Also, Sheryaar...I mean Samaira told me to tell you that Sheryaar wants you to know that BTS is Korean, not Chinese." Rida says softly.
"Ask him to shut up," Rushda replies exasperatedly.
"Wait, you guys had a conversation? About BTS?" Sadia interrupts.
Rushda looks away, annoyed. Rida keeps looking at her for an answer.
"Tell me," Sadia says.
"Why would I have a conversation with him?"
"Then what does he mean by that?" She asks suspiciously.
"I don't know." Sadia continued to look suspiciously at her.
"Do you trust your best friend or that stranger?"
"Come on, he's not a stranger."
"He is."
"Yeah, for you."

*****

Samaira wakes up to her alarm ringing. She sat up as she dismissed it. She hears a knock on her door.
"Yes?"
"It's me, Adil."
"Adil? Come in."
Adil walks in with a smile. Samaira looked at him as he sat on the couch.
"When did you come?" Samaira asks.
"Yesterday night. Aunty insisted me to stay so I was here. I'm leaving now so thought to meet you otherwise you would have been upset with me." Samaira chuckles.
"So, where did you guys hang out all day?" Samaira says as she untied her messy bun.
"We randomly roamed around and then we went to Sheryaar's friend's place to surprise her. It's her birthday."
"Her?"
"Yeah. Rida, her name." Adil says as he recalls.
Samaira confusedly looks at him.
"But Rida was at the event with me, yesterday night."
"Yeah, Sheryaar told me he didn't find Rida so he handed over the gifts to her sister."
"Even her sister was at the event. No...no... she had gone home for a while."
"Also, I had to ask you something," Adil says in a low voice.
"Does Sheryaar keep falling every other girl?"
"Bhai? Nah."
"Then it's definitely serious."
"What do you mean?"
"So, he met this girl at Rida's place. Most probably it is her sister. And he has been acting as if he's been in love with her forever."
"What?"
"I mean- maybe he has a crush on her."
Samaira looks on.

*****

Sadia is in bed, lying on her stomach, and scrolling her feed. She finds Sheryaar and Rida's paparazzi video.
'What the heck? Is that actually Rida?' She thought as she sat up, to look carefully. She starts checking when the video was posted. She realizes that it's the same day when Rida came home late.

She quickly leaves the room to find her. She finds her in her bedroom, sitting along with Rushda.
"Rida, do you mind coming with me for a few minutes?" Sadia asks her sarcastically while she keeps looking at Rushda.
Rushda who was reading her book, looks up at them.
"What happened?"
"Nothing, I just want to get something done by Rida. You continue." Rida confusedly looks at Sadia.
Rushda goes back to reading after glancing at them.
Rida looked at Sadia as she held her by her arm.
"Get up." Sadia angrily whispers to her. Rida gets off the bed. Sadia drags her to the guest room, holding her by her wrist.

"What is this?", Sadia asked as she showed her the video.
Rida gulps as she sees the video.
"What did you promise to Rushda?" Sadia reminds. Rida looks away.
"Let me go and tell Rushda, what you have been doing her back," Sadia says as she starts walking out.
Rida holds her wrist. "And I'll tell her about Saad," Rida says, looking at her.
Sadia looks at her, widening her eyes. "So you're going to blackmail me?"
"Yes, I'm."
"You're betraying her."
"He just helps me with my studies."
"What do you mean? You meet him on a daily basis?"
"Yes."
"Okay, why did you go to a mall with him?" Sadia inquires.
"It was the first time." Rida quickly replies.
"I asked why, Rida?"
"Because he asked."
"Why would he ask you?"
"What do you mean by that?" Rida confusedly asks.
"This definitely means he is more than just a senior to you."
"Yeah, a friend."
"And tell this to your father."
"Yes, the day I decide to tell him about Saad." Sadia fumes up in anger.
"See, you keep your mouth shut and I'll keep mine shut."
"Why are you doing this to yourself and Rushda?"
"I've no other option. I needed coaching and Baba refused. Now, Sheryaar is helping me with my studies and we have become friends. What is wrong with that?"
"You'll know what's wrong when your father comes to know about it. The career you keep crying for will end even before it starts."
"Can you stop it? I'm trying to just study and have some friends."
"You shouldn't have promised then."
"Stop making it a big deal," Rida says walking out of the room, irritatedly.

*******

Samaira kept looking at Sheryaar suspiciously as he drove the car. He stops the car at a clothing store. They get out of the car.
"How many?" Sheryaar asked as they entered the store.
"150 will do." Sheryaar nods.
"Just don't buy all of them in the same color."
"Which colors?" Sheryaar asked, looking around the store.
"First, select a jacket then we will talk about the colors."
"I like this one." Sheryaar pointed to one of the jackets.
"It's nice," Samaira replied, picking it up.
"Can I know in what colours this jacket is available?" Sheryaar asked the staff.
"Five."
"So we will buy them in all colours in equal numbers. 150 divided by five is?" Samaira thought as she tried to calculate.
"30." Sheryaar quickly replied.
"Huh, mama's boy who's perfect at everything," Samaira says, rolling her eyes at him.
"That's basic." Samaira sarcastically nods.

******

Rida and Sadia looked at each other awkwardly as everyone sat down for lunch.
Rushda starts serving herself as she observes them.
"What happened to you guys?" She asked.
They glanced at each other before they shook their head in denial.
"What work you had from Rida?" Rushda asks as she starts having her food.
"Rushda, silently have your food," Saleha says before Rida or Sadia can answer. Rushda gets annoyed.

*****

Sheryaar and Samaira get out of the car parked in front of the Sunshine Orphan Home. They walked into the building, carrying the shopping bags.

The kids screamed in joy and ran to them as they entered the hall. Samaira took out all the jackets while Sheryaar carried a few kids around.
"See, choose a jacket of a colour you like, and check your sizes," Samaira announces to the kids. Sheryaar let down the kids and watched them choose a jacket.

Samaira smiled as she watched the kids discuss their new jackets. She looked at Sheryaar who was standing beside her. He looked at the kids admiringly. He looks at her as he feels her gaze on him.
"You know, I'm not sure of what I might look like in ten years or how much I might have made it in my career but I'm pretty sure about the fact that even after ten years I would be here, with my wife, and probably my kids too, my kids playing with the kids here," Sheryaar said as he looked at the kids.
Samaira tried to control her smile as she recalled Adil's words.

*****

Saad walks in from the opened gate to see Sadia walking around in the lawn, in some deep thought. Sadia feels the presence of a person and looks at him.
"You? Here? At this hour?" Sadia asks curiously, walking to him.
"We're going home. Our home." Sadia looks at him confusedly.
"I bought our first home, Sadia," Saad said as he took out keys from his pocket. Sadia tears up, "What?"
She asked in a low voice. "Yes," he replied, pulling her into a hug. "Where's it? Location?" She asks, parting.
"Victoire Terminal," he replied with a small smile, as he gently wiped her tears.
"What? Where did you get the money from?" She asked shocked.
"Wow. Definitely not the reaction I was expecting, Sadia."
"I'm serious."
"I had saved up, like for emergency."
"This was not an emergency, and buying an EXPENSIVE house was definitely not."
"Fine, you stay here. Me and Mamma will live peacefully." He said dramatically.
"Okay, don't be dramatic, I'm coming," Sadia said, in her low excited voice.
"Go." Saad smiled, as he followed Sadia who excitedly ran in.

*****

Tired Sheryaar lay down on the bed after his long yet a happening day. He checked his phone and found a new text from Rida.
'She asked you to shut up.'
He chuckled as he read it. He kept the phone on his stomach without texting back. He looked at the ceiling as he thought of her.
'There were different kinds of feelings when I thought of her. I'm sure that I have never felt this before. Those eyes. Those eyes had a spark that lit my soul. My heart was drowned in her eyes. The way the whole world seemed to be paused when my eyes met hers, it all begins with her eyes. I wanted to see her, again. For once, at least.'

*****

Saad sat up straight as he saw Rushda bring him tea.
"This was not needed, Rushda." He told her as she kept the tray on the coffee table in front of him.
"Sadia's going to take a long time, to gather all her belongings and pack them. Have tea as you wait." Rushda said as she sat down.
"Are you upset about her leaving?" He asked as he picked up the cup from the table.
"Yeah, I'm but I'm happy about how Sadia is excited about her new home. But I'm upset with you."
"Me?" He asked confused.
"Yes, what was the need to move so far? It is almost a two-hour drive from here." She complained.
"Oh," Saad replied, chuckling.
"Sadia always wanted us to have this dream house before she got married and I felt this was the right time." Rushda smiled. "She's the luckiest to have you."

"Rushdaa." They heard Sadia scream.
"I think she needs some help," Rushda said, rushing out.

*****

The winter break was coming to an end the next day. Rida was back with her preparations for university, for the new semester.

"Listen, there's this list of books I want you to get me when you return from university tomorrow," Rushda said as she bookmarked a page of the book she read.
"Okay, send me the list."
"Also, when would your results be out?"
"In a week or so, I guess."
Rushda nods.
"One semester is done, now eight more semesters. I hope even those just pass by smoothly."
"And the internship too."
Rushda looks on. "Getting permission for the internship is difficult."
"What do you mean?" Rida says, confused.
"Baba doesn't know the internship is mandatory."
"You didn't tell him?"
"He didn't ask anything regarding it."
"What if he denies? My hard work will be ruined."
"There's a lot of time. Basically years. We will find a way, don't worry."
'If getting permission for the internship is difficult, practicing my profession in this home is impossible. And I'll also be married off to someone like Anas.'

*****

"I was wondering if you wanted to tell me something for a while now," Samaira asked, looking suspiciously as they watched television.
"Yeah, results are gonna be out in two days it seems."
"No, not this. Wait, what? Results?" Samaira exclaimed.
"It's not like just attempt and get away."
"But so soon. Mama will again start restricting me."
"If you study, she won't."
"Huh. Who am I even talking to?"
"Don't talk, no one asked you to."
"I'll just go. And worry about my results peacefully." Sheryaar chuckles.
"Who worries in peace?"
"Me."

*****

The following morning, Rida walked into the university. The cold wind blew, the dried leaves covered the campus ground and everyone was in their best winter outfits.

Rida kept calling Inaya until she finally saw her.
"Finally, the break is over and I can see you every day," Inaya says.
"Yes, I missed seeing you, and the campus too."
"I kinda like the winter vibes here."
"I know, right."
"I'm tensed for the result though."
"When are they gonna be declared?"
"Tomorrow."
"Tomorrow? So soon?"
"Yeah."

*****
Rushda stood in the middle of the lawn as she instructed the maid. The maid greets someone behind Rushda. Rushda turns to look at the person and gets shocked.
"Anas." She says, letting out a breath.
"Hi."
"What are you doing here?"
"I decided that I'm not going to leave without a date today."
"What?"
"Yes. Are you excited?"
"Your case?"
"It will keep happening. Don't worry, I'll win it like I won the last one."
"No... I'm not going to marry-"

"Anas?" Saleha called out, walking out from the hall. He greets her.
"Come in." Saleha welcomed her. He nods at her and leaves after glancing at Rushda.

*****

Rida walks into the library to find Sheryaar already waiting for her.
"Hi." She greets as they see each other.
"Hi."
"So how was your vacation?"
"It was fine." She replied, settling down.
"How were the gifts? Did you like them?"
"Yes."
"And your sister?"
"Huh?"
"Did your sister like the gifts?"
"She isn't a fan of luxury brands so..."
"Oh."

*****

"I'm telling you Mami, this time I'm not going to leave without a date." Saleha looks at Rushda. She shakes her head in denial.
"The case is still pending, right? Once the cases are closed, we will have a grand wedding."
"We can still have it, not a big deal."
"Okay, I'll talk to your Mamu and fix a date."
Rushda starts getting nervous.
"I think the wedding must be after the cases."
"No one asked you," Anas replies.
"It's my wedding. I have the right."
"No."
"Then get married to someone else."
"Rushda." Saleha interrupts.
"Ask this man to leave," Rushda yells.
Anas starts fuming up.
"What did you say?" He asked.
"I said, leave."
Anas raises his hand but Rushda pushes him away.
"Leave."
Rushda watches him leave in anger.

*****

Sheryaar scrolled his feed as Rida studied. He randomly gets reminded of something.
"Rida."
"Yes." She replied with her gaze still on the books.
"I wanted to ask you something."
Rida looks up at him and nods.
"I mean maybe it could be a little personal for you." Rida looks on.
"That night, on your birthday, I saw a severe bruise on your sister's back."
Rida is startled at his question.
"I don't know." She replied, in a low voice.
"You don't know?"
Rida shakes her head in disapproval.
"It was severe."
Rida looks away, embarrassed.
"See I didn't intend to embarrass you or something, it was severe and I was thinking how did she end up having such a severe one? That too on the back."
Rida looks on.

******

Rushda cleaned the table as Saleha kept scolding her.
"Is the lecture over? Can I go?" Rushda says exasperatedly as she finishes cleaning the table.
"Let your Baba come home."
"Now, you're going to say this to Baba?"
"I don't need to. He must have gone and already told him."
"Huh, bastard."
"Language."
"I can curse better. Should I?"
"Seems like you are not going to be at peace until beaten blue and black."
"I'm never going to be at peace."

The doorbell rings.
"Go check the door," Saleha says
"Why don't you just fire the maid? I'm here, I'll do everything."
Saleha glares at her as she calls out the maid.
"Get my medicines. The day I fall sick, you be at your outrageous behaviour."
Rushda rolls her eyes at her.

*****

Sheryaar in deep thought, waited in the traffic.
'It's been five weeks and she has been on my mind since I saw her. I have never been so confused about something before. I couldn't figure out what was I actually feeling. Am I infatuated by her?'

His phone rings.
Samaira.

"Yes, Samaira?" He answered and waited for her response.
"See if she doesn't want to, don't force her." He replied to her.
"I'll come home then we will talk about this."
"No, it'll take time. There's a lot of traffic." He replied and hung up.

*****

"Your books." Rida hands to Rushda.
"Thank God, you didn't forget." She says as she checked them.
"I'll go and have food."
"Letting you know that there might be a new drama tonight."
"What did you do now?"
"Whatever I did, I'm not feeling guilty for it."
"What did you do?"
"Have food, I'll tell you."
"Ah."

*****

"Her mother has been calling me like some ten times now," Samaira complains.
"Why don't you talk to her, Aliza?" Sheryaar asks.
"I just don't want to. Why are you guys forcing me?"
"She wants to talk to you."
"But I don't."
"She's your mom, Aliza. It's been so long since you've seen her." Aliza looks away.
"Samaira, dial her mom." Samaira nods.
Samaira passes the phone to Sheryaar.
"See, talk to her once. Then that's your choice if you want to be in contact or not." He says as he hands the phone to Aliza.
Aliza takes the phone and walks away to speak.

*****

Rushda nervously gives Riaz a glass of water.
"Anas came home?"
She nods.
"What did you do?" He asked as he took a sip of water.
"He was being unreasonable so..."
"We are here to make decisions, there is no need to interfere and create scenes."
Rushda nods.
"Rushda, I better not hear this happening again."
Rushda leaves with the empty glass of water.
'That's it? I thought a big scene was going to be created.' Rushda thought as she felt relieved.

*****

Sheryaar looked at the guitar beside him as he sat on his bedroom couch. He picks it up, smiling.

He starts playing it.

Ek din kabhi jo khud ko taraashe
Meri nazar se tu zara, haaye re
Aankhon se teri kya kya chhupa hai
Tujhko dikhaaun main zara, haaye re
Ik ankahi si daastaan daastaan
Kehne lagega aaina Subhanallah...
Jo ho raha haim pehli dafaa hai wallah
Aisa hua, Subhanallah...
Jo ho raha hai pehli dafaa hai wallah
Aisa hua

His hands shivered as he kept playing guitar. He tried his best to avoid the visions he was having.

Meri khamoshi se baatein chun lena
Unki dori se taarifein bun-

He keeps away the guitar and walks out of the room.

*****

Do vote and comment.
I didn't recheck, I apologize for the errors.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.4M 59.8K 53
Ranked 1 in #asian on 09.05.2020 1 in #forced marriage on 29.06.2020 ...
680K 56K 91
Trope: ✓ marriage of convenience ✓ hate-to-love ✓ slow-burn ✓ Muslim characters/love story ✓ Bad boy/good girl ✓ Second chance ✓ Billionaire romance...
4.8K 387 26
Story of a man who believes marriage will never work out for him. Got into an arranged marriage and ended up falling for her wife immensely. Girl who...
5K 205 2
A short story about marriage proposal via matrimony app.