The Lost Blight : TOH x OC

By LazyWhiteRaven

What if the Blights had a middle child but lost her and she ended up in the human realm when she was only thr... More

Madelene's Info
The Boiling Isles
Potion Delivery
A/N
Hexside
Madelene's Updated Info for S1
The Intruder
Covention
Little Miss Perfect
A/N
A/N 2
Two Sides of the Same Coin
Cost of Interest
Q&A?
Q&A Part 2
New Beginnings
The Bet part 1
The Bet part 2
Q&A 2 electric boogaloo
Q&A 2 electric boogaloo 2
WAH! Read at your Own Risk
Blightfully Unaware
Setting Boundaries
Story Update A/N
School Day Frights
A/N
Pause
Turns into Romantic Shipping

Really Weird Things

386 18 12
By LazyWhiteRaven

So about putting this story on pause.... yyeeaahh...

Eyo! MT here.

Believe it or not, I didn't expect I'd be gone longer than I realized. Some stuff happens at my location and I didn't have a chance to charge my phone for days. But here I am now, and I got a surprise for you at 24. Also, I didn't expect Raven to worry hehehe... the power of a best friend. Sometimes in the future I'm just gonna call you everyday, when you pick up I'm going to sing Michael Jackson's famous 'He heeee' so you won't worry if I'm dead anymore. I'll haunt your dreams. And your phone.

Huh, I think I have sort of power that only works when I make a post about it. Anyway hope you guys enjoy this chapter. Really hope this doesn't become a regular thing.

~~~~~~~~~

What the hell!?

The Blights exclaimed in their heads, questions swirled in their minds. Madelene moves her head to the side.

Madelene: Who is that? The one with the mask?

Like a bowl of water, they unfreeze on their spots.

Amity: Haven't you seen posters of him at the market?

Madelene: No? Are they a celebrity?

Emira: ... Sister, that's the Emperor. Emperor Belos.

Madelene: Oh.... Why is he there though?

Amity: If only I can answer you, Maddy....

Edric: What's this?

Edric points to the lying objects in a tipped box. It seems eaten by rats, many of it the size of confetti at the sides.

Emira swiftly turns to look through the dusty folders, making the papers fly down their feet. She looked at it one by one- some, just a pinch of paper, few of them fortunately escaped the rat's maw.

One piece of scrap halts her hand, eyebrows furrowing. Its top is full of holes, the sentences incomplete. The lower part is fortunately untouched, but it doesn't bring her more comfort. Then, as she slid it to the side and found the second page, she saw more.

Pregnancy Result- Third Child

Entry No. 1:

Not worth mentioning— given an opportunity to —----- under the influence of the given—

—- guards everywhere—-

—-- suspicious of the —--- but no choice to move —--. Edalyn —-find—- book.

Three months into pregnancy and a week since the intended enhancer. There has been no changes to me physically, no lethargy outside of what is expected. I don't know what the enhancer's supposed effect is to the maternal perspective.

Pregnancy Result- Third Child

Entry No. 5; The enhancer is quite an enigma to me, so further investigations are required. Having someone forage the Imperial library bares no results, the same with the Bonesborough library and underground means. I could only think of one person to accomplish it. I only hope they would not aggravate me quite so.

Emira: This is strange....

Madelene: Yup. I didn't think adults still used diaries.

Edric: What?

Three flabbergasted eyes swerve at her as she lifts a small paper with a grin, its content visible for all to see.

Entry 2435

Dear Diary,

—da's a fool! — given such a perverted garment, to whom will it fit!? Those strings won't even go halfway through my waist! And what scandalous—-! A string for modesty? Shameful! And what a corset it was! —- thin fabric, she might as well parade my private area!

Amity chokes up, like eating a lemon without noticing it, indescribable thoughts hanging on her head.

Amity: She?! Who's she!?

Emira: ... Of all the things I wanted to discover, this is not one of them.

Emira said, turning green herself. Edric added his pint to their horror.

Edric: ... I heard there's a witch hunter in the human realm, is it possible to hand over my brain so I can forget this trauma....

Madelene snickered. It is the same as the parents knowing their children do dirty things, the children might even be more traumatized that they come from two people doing the devil's tango.

They all visibly froze as they heard a booming voice outside the dilapidated attic window. Their horror interrupted, replaced by an overwhelming sense of threat.

???: I cannot believe that the factory was destroyed! This will set our products back months!

???: I'm sure we'll be able to rebuild.

???: Rebuilding is not my current concern. It's getting our products out by the due date!

Emira: They're back!

Goosebumps trail down her body in horror, but Amity acts faster, urging them with a whisper hiss.

Amity: Quick, grab what you can and book it!

Edric: Give it to me.

The four siblings grab the documents and photos stuffing them down the box pulled by Edric. They heard the front door slam open and close following the irate voices of their mother and the indifferent voice of their father.

Emira: You two go downstairs. Ed, I need you to cover Maddy. Maddy, you head to our room with Ed and hide in the closet. We're going back to school after I hide this.

Madelene: What about you two?

Amity: I need to seal the door on our way back.

Emira: Hurry up guys, someone might see us!

The two decided to put their trust in their siblings. With a nod, they quickly but quietly go down the attic. Edric pulls Madelene to their room, snapping his fingers before their silhouette turns invisible. Tiptoeing out the hallway, they open the door silently as Amity and Emira slide out the attic with notes and albums.

Madelene entered the room of the twins and went straight to the first closed door that she could find.

She went back out faster than she entered, face frozen with a gagging expression.

She ogle Edric who didn't bother hiding, knowing he can turn invisible if he wanted in grievance. She hissed.

Madelene: Shit, Edric. That room stinks so bad! And why does it have framed speedos in there?!

Edric: Keep it down! And how dare you, that's my closet! It's none'ya business!

He clapped back, whisper yelling before he snapped his fingers twice, opening the closet next to the stinky room with his magic and shoving Madelene inside.

At least now she's in a minty closet, but it's so stuffy and Madelene impatiently waits for the voices to go so she can go out again.

???: It won't be a problem. I'll have the Abominations working day and night to make sure the factory is fixed in a month.

???: Make it two weeks Alador.

With a tired sigh still audible inside the closet, Alador agrees.

???: Good. If you will excuse me, I will be in my office.

Alador: I'll have you called when dinner is ready, Odalia.

Odalia: Good.

She hears two sets of footprints go into different directions and before she could come out however, one footstep stops... then turns back, getting closer and closer than she's comfortable with.

A door opens, and Madelene's voice hitches as she hears it padding just outside her hiding spot. She doesn't know who it is, but they surely stay too long as if trying to find if the room's residents are present or not.

Seeing her chance after the door closes again, she tries to get out, but her head catches on hanging clothes causing her to struggle. One even wound up on her neck.

Madelene: Oh come on! I will not! Be bested! By fabric!

After a while she manages to free herself and get a good look at what she was tangled in. She gave it a suspicious look, thinking whether it's alive trying to eat her or just her clumsiness besting her. Seeing that it is not, she gradually lowers her apprehensiveness, slowly finding the garment appealing.

Madelene: Oooh, now this is what you call style.

It was a black suit with purple accents, complete with a bowtie. She wanted to take it out and pose in front of the standing mirror with it when Emira and Amity arrived.

Both look at her while she stares back, wide eyed. Amity's face turns indifferent, shaking her head.

Amity: We're running around here trying to stay hidden. And then, there's you. What are you doing?

Madelene: In my defense, it strangled me first.

Emira: Ugh, you hid in my closet then. I didn't organize that one for days.

Madelene: Better than the stinky one!

Edric: Hey, it's mine! Respect my decisions!

Madelene: Decisions to put your clean clothes and dirty clothes in one room?

Edric: They're divided.

With that stupid response, did Madelene's frown deepened in disbelief.

Madelene: Uh yeah? With a small space in between!? What about the odor!?

Amity: Should we really be fighting about that?

Amity intervened, nervously looking back and forth towards the closed door.

Emira: Mittens is right. You two stop with the antics for now, we're going back to school.

Amity: Em, the box?

She pointed towards it as Emira nodded, taking it with her.

Emira: We'll take it, we need to find a spot where we can hide it.

Amity: To the camp?

Emira: Too open. How about your secret room?

Madelene works her way towards the small balcony and searches the side, her sibling's discussion flying over her head. Finding an escape route is more important after all. Confirming that the vines running unto the walls are sturdy, she went down slowly as the others followed her down.

Emira looked down on her, then at her shoulder with an amused smile.

Emira: You really like the suit huh. It's definitely your color.

Madelene: Suit?

As if being summoned, Madelene felt the fabric she haphazardly put on her shoulder.

Madelene: Oh. I forgot. I'll give it back?

Emira: Forget it, you can have that. Just climb down.

Madelene: Got it.

—-

When Madelene went back to the school to get Luz, she didn't expect a huge commotion to erupt as the remaining students went out after the bell rang to signify the end of the school.

They talked about the Detention track kids who fought the basilisk, and Madelene didn't hear the end of it as she dashed forward to the wreckage to find Luz and Principal Bump.

Luz: Maddy! You're late to the party!

Madelene: Gordita, what happened here?

Luz: It went like this....

Like it couldn't even be any exasperation, Madelene could only conclude that she and Luz are cursed to have an unlucky luck to experience this stuff.

It was a grandeur event, one that even PB praised the Detention track one by one. Madelene guiltily takes the compliment in silence, since she went away and nobody knows about it. Thankfully, the others are submerged in their own success, and quite ignore everything except their own joy.

And when the headmaster offered to open multiple tracks due to their doing... well, it's the stupidest luck at it again.

Sooner or later, good or bad, the promises have been done. With multiple tracks on the way, Madelene and the others were once again given a debriefing of the pros and cons being a part of it.

Seeing as it is a forbidden law to mix two tracks, PB ordered a non-disclosure arrangement for teachers and students to protect the school and its residents. Next, the overhaul of curriculum to fit the needs of the multiple tracks, mainly to study major subjects while minor subjects and theories will be eradicated in response to the more technical teachings in the future. This is just one of the few that rewritten the rules of Hexside.

And Madelene reap the benefits without even lifting one single digit.

Her Blight siblings went separate ways after that, and not a single hair of them are in the vicinity. She wonders what will happen if they are here instead of finding their biological mother's kinky secrets.

...

...

Forget it. Seeing them being repulsed by Odalia's young plights is better than fighting a large basilisk.

After all, how would she know Odalia's partly bisexual as well.

Must have run in the family.

—-

Emira stops reading the transcripts, fingers lace on her chin as she looks down at Amity's table at her cliché secret room.

The papers are withered, almost unreadable of how corroded the material is. It's yellow and stained, as if put in a damp place for too long and stuffed too quickly in the attic. What is more intriguing however, are the words written behind old papers in a penmanship of her narcissistic mother.

It's without a doubt, Odalia's through and through. She arranged it according to the page numbers, looking into the words as if it might answer questions of her own.

Even if half of them are- as Madelene guesses it- diaries of her teenage years.

Emira's temple trembles in both fascination and repulsion to find her mother so horrendously attractive to their age years back then.

The amount of significant others she talked about. By the titan...

She even remembered such a statement that questions her mother's loyalty towards Alador.

Entry —-

—- prefer men over women. Such —- would be delectable in the future.

Entry —

Twins! Twins for titan's sake! —- so proud! How dare he! In which he is proud to imbed a spawn, did I ought to strangle his small —-- barb wire!!!

Trying to ease the memory out of mind, Emira organizes the others at the table. It's not much, but it happens that she needs to differentiate those in which her mother was controlled by her emotions, and those in which Emira questions the creation of. As such, she reads.

Date: xxxx-xx-xx

Page #: 3

It's been weeks since the potion was given. The given symptoms have been a false alarm under the guise of something more complicated.

I discovered I am with child. I am unwilling to part with the offer given the previous days, unknowingly accepting it to form a greater alliance than I can attain.

However, I was not aware of the child in my womb back then. There are many options to do if given a different path. Whilst I stray from my marriage or of those in my future, it is the symptoms that will dictate my actions.

Date: xxxx-xx-xx

Page #: 7

The plan was set, and I have accumulated the ingredients needed. The process was still unclear, but the book tells no lies. Even witches of the olden know of its possibility, and nor will I doubt if this is false as the giver says.

Date: xxxx-xx-xx

Page #: 25

It was estimated that the subject will develop at a rate faster than regular witches. Adding formulas (see note 14) early is integral to the development of the subject. The estimated time of the birthing period is within three months midst boiling rain season. Without proper reference, subject 01 would be the first of its kind at the Boiling Isle. Its success pertains to its ability to survive.

Date: xxxx-xx-xx

Page #: 28

Subject 01 has grown its supposed limbs, however no further pulse as stated were visible to the eye. Will keep updating of the development.

Date: xxxx-xx-xx

Page #: 30

The subject has grown bigger than a palm in such short days. The veins were easy to distinguish but still, no pulse was discovered. It referred that the subject 01 needs a host to sustain its form but I am unable to find a recipient that is available. I will try my best in the coming days.

Date: xxxx-xx-xx

Page #: 45

Subject 01 is a failure. It grew into the size of a witches skull but remained unmovable. Its colorization turned dark, and the veins protruding popped into the liquid it was submerged in. I have indulged in my suspicion and opened the tab to discover my disappointed guess. It forms the body as instructed, but it is only flesh and meat.

The day draws near, I must continue the experimentation. I need to change some ingredients. I only have a few months left.

Date: xxxx-xx-xx

Page #: 68

Another failure, but this one has potential. It gives way to ponder the reason for being. The reason for its continuous degradation seems to be the formulas given within the scope of the Boiling Isle. The practice is unique but similar to the old days, but the ingredients are hard to come by. It might be that I am looking at it in a different perspective. The books do not come in this place, and thus, its rules do not encompass the magic within the Isle. I will need a few days to ponder another option.

Date: xxxx-xx-xx

Page #: 100

I need a miniscule tissue, so perfectly close to her. But it is impossible. I will need something from Alador and a relative of mine. It can't be me, I'm currently at a vulnerable stage.

Date: xxxx-xx-xx

Page #: 123

No time. I am at my end month. The last subject were completed. I merely need to find the right essence.

Date: xxxx-xx-xx

Page #: 135

Complications arise. The subject grew twice its size. It seems the subject is growing of age.

Date: xxxx-xx-xx

Page #: 154

The hag at the Oracle coven agrees. I have taken one from the archives. I will transfer the essence tonight.

Date: xxxx-xx-xx

Page #: 200

It is done. The child is alive and well. Then she dies. The contract was fulfilled. Conclusion of the subject has been distributed.

—--

The entries are incomplete in a sense that the papers aren't uniform in nature, with a few only written into small bite size pieces as if it was snatched too quickly by fingers. It's a mess and a headache, piecing the entries one by one would be impossible at this point.

Emira sighs as she summarizes the few transcripts that withstood time.

Emira: Within the timeframe before Madelene's birth, Odalia has been given something that is unclear in the pages. A potion of what, something that can give symptoms similar to pregnancy. Then, a book that starts her experiments. Subjects that... looks like a creature with limbs... Mom, what did you do?

She whispers, frowning as she thinks some more.

She looks at the discrepancies, how Odalia seems to be impatient, wanting the subjects to be within the cusp of the month before her labour. But what's foreboding in this is the last one she read.

Emira: "It is done. The child is alive and well. Then she dies. The contract was fulfilled." ... The words are meant to be observation statements.

It's confusing, stating 'the child' as if a different being than Madelene. Even in her earlier days, Odalia called Madelene by name, and if the phrase 'the child' is uttered, it is not just for her specifically- Emira herself was called that condescendingly.

Edric: Hey, Em?

Emira: Yeah?

Edric: It's almost seven, we need to move out. You good?

She hesitated for a second, then locked the pages at the secret cabinet under the shelves. She then softly patted a frame on the desk, courtesy of Amity's love. It was a picture of them four, snuggled into each other as they slept.

Emira: I am... for now.

She'll think of it next time.

Days passed before the excitement settled down so that I could breathe easier of all the mess my siblings and I made- Luz included.

From seeing our happy memories to reforming the school due to Principal Bump's generosity, the week trudges faster than I can accomplish anything. And yet, those down lows made me gradually accept that in all these changes, it is not me that has taken the initiative to push all of the events from happening. I'm merely... let's say a variable in the equation.

Case in point, the new curricula. After the mighty consideration for the leftover students like me, Principal Bump has accepted having mixed track students into the midst, with me going into Oracle, Bard, Abominations, and Illusions combined.

Oracle to understand and learn something so invisible yet powerful, Bard to improve my skills that I have accumulated due to my hobbies, and Illusion to ward off the frickery in my head. Abominations? Well, let's just say that I have a selfish yearning to know what my little sister is doing.

While Edric has done his job spectacularly, chasing off my nightmares, it is still good to understand the implications of being under the Oracle's spell for too long. With all the revelations on the pending process until we figure out how to unlock Odalia's cryptic knowledge, I'm pretty much grateful I took a rest from all the drama that I can escape with.... Well, in a few dramas I can escape under the Owl House with these people trying to burn down the house with their antics.

So with days unhindered, I did the best I could to adapt, learn and spend my time with everyone else I cared about.

As of now, laying down my mattress in a rare chance of resting, arms behind my head, did my first excitement of the week come once more. I heard a notification on my scroll, looking down on it before glancing at the side. Seeing that Luz didn't wake up, I opened my messaging area, chuckling at Edric's theatrics.

[Blightsies Chat Group]

[Ederiheehee enters the chat]

[Ememarama enters the chat]

[Megalodonna enters the chat]

Ederiheehee: [Underlings! I have come to summon you!]

[Amittens enters the chat]

Amittens: [Nope.]

Megalodonna: [So theatric, ooooh~]

Ememarama: [It is I, that ordered you.]

Ederiheehee: [Well, why don't you do the honors then?]

Ememarama: [I'm discharging waste.]

Amittens: [Just say you're on the toilet...]

Megalodonna: [Simpler term, you're pooping.]

Ememarama: [... Little sisters have no shame.]

Ederiheehee: [Jeez, Em. I can smell you from the screen.]

Ederiheehee: [Let me handle it...]

Ederiheehee: [And stop using SCROLLS ON THE TOILET! DO YOU KNOW HOW UNHYGIENIC THAT IS!?]

Megalodonna [Says the guys who put used and unused clothes in a closed area.]

Ederiheehee:[ It's perfectly fine! Don't question my choices!]

Amittens: [Cut it out.]

Amittens: [You're disrupting my study.]

Amittens: [Just state your business.]

Megalodonna: [Woof.]

Ememarama: [Studying? It's sunday, mittens.]

Amittens: [For tomorrow's classes, what else? I don't want to dally.]

Ememarama: [Useless. School's canceled.]

Amittens: [Why?]

Ememarama: [Jadie said so.]

Amittens: [I mean, why is school canceled? Not who said it.]

Ederiheehee: [I think there's carnival stuff on the way. I don't have the deets for it.]

Megalodonna: [Sweet. No classes means another lazy day!]

Ederiheehee: [Na-uh! As I was saying!!! This peasant has summoned you!]

Megalodonna: [What for?]

Ederiheehee: [Blight meeting!]

Megalodonna: [Can't we just do it here?]

Ederiheehee: [Nope]

Ederiheehee: [Em wants us to meet. It's been ages!]

Ederiheehee: [We should hang out.]

Megalodonna: [Aww, count me in.]

Amittens: [When?]

Ederiheehee: [Monday? Gotta run errands then]

Amittens: [I can't, I have work.]

Megalodonna: [Wait, you can work?]

Amittens: [Yes? I'm not disabled.]

Megalodonna: [No, I mean. There are no labor issues due to your age?]

Amittens: [None? It's not a full time job.]

Ememarama: [Mittens just want to play with kiddies at the library.]

Megalodonna:[The good kind or the bad kind play?]

Ememarama: [Just reading books. I haven't seen her yeet a kid through the door yet.]

Megalodonna: [Sureee...What're we going to do then?]

Ememarama: [Find clues. Can we come over at your house, Maddy?]

I stop contemplating. She probably needs to ask Eda if they can invite anyone they please, but she's pretty sure Eda won't be bothered to reject me. But why go here instead of their camp?

Megalodonna: [Sure. I'm going to ask. Why though?]

Ememarama: [Ain't your Eda's first name 'Edalyn'?]

Megalodonna: [From what I heard of, yeah?]

Ememarama: [Great. If I'm not mistaken, your Eda might be in the same year as Odalia was in Hexside back then. I just want to go out and find clues so I can ease my headache.]

Megalodonna: [Sure. No need to go here, imma do it myself. What will I ask?]

Ememarama: [Ask Miss Eda what book Odalia bought from her a decade ago. ...]

Megalodonna: [Copy!]

Ememarama: [... And what's their relationship back then.]

With that, I just froze. I reread it again and again. None of my other siblings responded either.

Megalodonna: [....]

Ederiheehee: [!???]

Megalodonna: [I'm sorry, come again?]

Ememarama: [... I just want to be thorough. Of all the embarrassing stuff I found, there's 24 mentions of Edalyn in her diary. All with the same.... Very questionable topics.]

Megalodonna: [... Can't we just conclude that Eda's flirty? She's still doing questionable things till now honestly.]

Ememarama:[If being flirty means her suggesting that Odalia wears stockings and high heels for tutoring, maybe.]

[Amittens has left the group]

Ederiheehee: [Alright, too many details. I'm out.]

[Ederiheehee has left the group]

Megalodonna: [ I regret volunteering...]

I laid the scroll on my bed after that, mushing up my face. I couldn't think if I would laugh or cry in this scenario. On one hand, it's pretty funny to know some shady stuff others have done when they were teens, but on the other hand, this is someone's intimate thoughts- and not just some stranger, this is their biological mothers'... and Eda. Hell, Eda....

Madelene: I'll never even doubt her now.

Shuffling sounds made me look at a barely awake Luz, eyes still droopy.

Luz: Maddy? What's got you so pale?

I stop for a moment, before giving her an answer, mischief barely covered up.

Madelene: Do you think Eda likes to play rough?

Luz:.. Play rough?

Madelene: In bed.

A blink, then two. Luz groaned out loud, making me laugh.

Luz: Madelene! ¡Apenas es de mañana! Don't traumatize me! I'll tell Mama when we get back!

The previous embarrassment went out the window when I thought how exciting it was to see Eda's expression when I dropped the bomb of her flirting with Odalia. I didn't go out today, opting to wait for Eda to get home and watch Hooty be Hooty in all his actions. Not even a fly was spared.

I watched Luz dress herself and cook fried griffin eggs she can consume, as if in a hurry.

Madelene: Where are you going Luz?

She hesitated, and I grew a little confused.

Luz: I'm hanging out with a friend.

My frown settled a bit at that, but I can't help but wonder why she hesitated telling me. Oh well.

Madelene: All day?

Luz: Maybe? We're not sure yet. But I'm going back before sunset.

Madelene: If you don't, where can I find you?

Luz: Library at the market, you can't miss it.

Madelene: Don't you need a card going in there?

Luz: I borrowed Gus's card.

Madelene: Okay, safe travels. I'll do the dishes.

I waved as she finished, bounding to me to kiss my cheek farewell before bolting off in the horizon. Making sure that she's already out of my vision, I cleaned her mess and waited some more for Eda in no rush.

It was almost lunchtime when I decided to go to the market to find her at the stall, growing bored playing with my phone. Surprisingly, she's not there, making the stall barren.... With wanted posters sticking in every wall I can see.

Kinda jealous actually. It looks cool. I wonder how much my life is worth when I have a poster on my own?

I sighed, trying to clean the mess before it could be seen by many more. Eda might like this stuff, but she's growing old- might as well lessen the threat to her life.

Either she's in the human realm or making enemies in different locations. I'm already at the market, so I might as well walk leisurely and enjoy the scenery that I ignored at the expense of reaching my short term goals back then.

Alas, I found someone- two of them- when I delved deeper into the food stores. Staring at their back, I slowly creeped closer, smiling all the while.

Boscha: Give me more.

Skara: This is your fifth, B.

Skara complains but pushes another juicebox to Boscha anyway. I can't help but giggle. They stood with their backs towards me, a bunch of bags hanging on their arms, some being put down their feet. Their temperament were the opposite of each other, but it makes their friendship beautiful. After entering the Bard track, I always stick next to Skara and have found some savory things that entice me to admire Boscha like a leech on a blood.

Boscha: I don't care. I'm dried and boneless. It's the sustenance I need.

Seeing the huge eye bags under her tired eyes when she turned sideways, and how slouchy she is at the moment, I can tell she really did need one. Having said that, she gulped down the juice in one go as Skara grunted in concern.

Skara: Think you're drinking too much?

Boscha: Bwaaah~! That's refreshing! This is my lifeblood today, Skars. I can't sleep last night.

Skara: Happens to everyone. You need to take good nourishment and not just appleblood all the time, you know? Stop worrying me.

Boscha: I know~ Sure do need that. But what can I do? I've cooked blood porridge many times than I can count yesterday and it's unedible as fuck. If aint goes in Ma's stomach then it should go through mine. Even if it tastes like trash.

Skara: Orrrr you should just throw it into the trash if it's inedible?

Boscha: Waste of food. Why do I feel a sudde- ack!

I blushed as Boscha suddenly met my gaze like she has a radar, choking on her spit as she stopped talking. I'm not embarrassed that she saw me looking like a stalker near them, but I'm a little ashamed to say that I like that I heard that Boscha will swallow all her failure just to get it down perfectly for others.

Hell, I am ready to put the definition of a stalker on my name if it means I can hear this kind of gossip. What a fool I came up to be.

Madelene: Hi.

I waved a hand, unconcerned of my appearance, tucking my hands on my pockets sheepishly.

Boscha: .... You...

Skara: Maddy!

At least one of them happily greets me.

Madelene: Long time no see. What are you doing here you guys?

Boscha: Can't you guess?

With such a rude response, Boscha's attitude turns cold again. Sad to say, I really deserve that. I've picked and teased her so much that I can just peek at her soft side on the sidelines again. Back then we could still banter face to face, but since I have always been so busy lately, the single thread we cultivated was nonexistent once more. Fortunately, Boscha still recognizes me, and that's enough for now. And the bet's debt is still on.

I pouted, feeling wronged but it was understandable. I really should make time to know Boscha to have a good understanding of her thoughts.

Madelene: Don't be mean now, B. I'm just curious...

Boscha: When it's you, I don't think it's just curiosity.

Madelene: True-

Boscha: I knew it!

Madelene: -but I can't help it, it's like I want to possess your time. B, I think you B- witch me!

Boscha:....

Madelene: Hehe, get it? B for Boscha and witch 'cause you're a witch? Am I right?? Eih?

Beads of sweat slide down Boscha's churned face. Eyup, I've done it again.

Boscha: That's greasy, I want to puke.

Skara: Pfft, you two...

Skara laughed loudly, the shopping bags on her hands almost went flying with how fast she threw it up in the air. I look at the bags twice, before I chuckle at my stupidity as well. I shook my head side to side, but told them my speculation, pushing my flirtiness aside for a genuine statement.

Madelene: That's... I admit I don't expect you to shop for goods. Skara, yeah. But you?

Skara: Seems pretty judgy there, Madz.

Skara rebuked, but her voice was amused. I shrug my shoulders, teasing.

Madelene: I mean, come on.

Skara: Trueee...

Skara drawled as Boscha scoffed at our antics, tossing the juicebox to a nearby trashcan before taking the bags on her feet with a huff.

Boscha: Skar, the betrayal. Betrayal.

Skara: Oh hush, I've got the free reign to air your sheesh for years. Going out and shopping for food is pretty mild.

Madelene: I second that!

Boscha: No one wants your opinion.

With her haggard state and deadpanned voice, I knew I looked goofy in her eyes. It's quite true though, I find myself sillier to Boscha than I could with anyone I met. It may be because she takes me seriously that I find it easier to mess with her. Nonetheless, it makes me quite happy, just to see someone paying attention to me.

Madelene: Yes, but freedom of speech is still universal.

I defended, winking. Boscha squints in resignation.

Boscha: Hmph, weirdo.

After that, Skara gave me a quick hug, interrupting our cat and dog conversation.

Skara: As much as I like to third wheel your shady bums, I have to go. B, M, I'm leaving.

Welp, that's not fun. I sadly looked at her. Have I ignored her too much?

Madelene: Oh, already? I just got here.

Skara: Aw, don't worry babe. I have something for you.

Coaxing me like a child, I would have snorted with how mischievous she looks now.

Madelene: What is it?

Skara: Spread your arms sideways.

Madelene: ....

I slowly did as she was told, holding my arms in a T- position. One by one, she slid the bags on my arms full of groceries as I shook in its weight. Skara patted my arms, appreciatively. Then, off she goes on the run.

Skara: Now you help B take these goods home, okayyyy??? Bayieee~!

Dumbfounded, I just stared at her in the distance, and turned into a dumbfounded Boscha herself.

Boscha:... Shameless.

Madelene: I'll help you with carrying it, I understand. But why is it so many?

I asked, weighing the goods on my arms. Boscha sighed, slowly walking away at the trail,murmuring.

Boscha:... My mom got sick, so it's my turn to buy today.

Oh, I... didn't expect such honesty.

Madelene: Is she okay?

Boscha: Don't butt in my affairs. Ma's with her.

I snickered, here comes Boscha's double standard. Before I could clapback, her statement took me by surprise.

Madelene: Ma-... You have two mothers!?

Boscha:.... Why is it that when I'm with you it feels like I lose my intelligence?

Shit, yeah. It looks like it huh. Why is it always her who points out my stupidity? Am I really that dumb? I puff my cheeks, indignant, but I still followed her along.

Madelene: Rude! I'm just that nerve wracking unique, your brain processes slowly that's why you feel like that.

Boscha: Or it could be my brain wants you to be erased in existence so I wont get retarded looking at your face.

Ack! Whyyy!!! That almost hurt!

Madelene: Ack! Burn!.... Burn...!!!!

Boscha: Whatever, get outta my way. And give me my things.

Concerned, I shook my head. This time without a trace of joking around. I'm not sure of the logistics, but I'm pretty sure Boscha's taking the bulk of the items we are carrying. Add to the fact that I can say that it is quite heavy, and she looks so tired.

Madelene: Wait. Let me help you.

Boscha: I don't need your help.

I frowned. So stubborn.

Madelene: Come on now, B! I won't bite! For real this time!

Boscha: I said no!

Ugh, keep calm. Don't be annoyed. It's your own fault she's hesitant, because you treat her like a tsundere and now the real person is really just creeped out of your attitude. Boscha knows I like her, and even acknowledged that fact. Pushing my way through her bubble didn't really do me any favors.

Madelene: Ugh... fineee..-

Boscha: Freaking finall-

Madelene: I'm just gonna walk you home, is that okay?

No strings and jokes. This girl needs help, and I will give her that.

Boscha: Madelene. I'm this close to calling the Emperor's coven if you won't stop being a pushy creep right now.

I thinned my lips, staring at her straight in the eye as she slowly stepped back.

Madelene: B, I know I'm difficult all the time, but let me just help you, alright? I'll be on my best behavior and I won't do any unnecessary things, believe it.

Boscha:.....

Madelene: .... I'm serious. Please.

I almost begged, but Boscha's grunt gave me hope as she just turns back and walked into the direction of her house.

Boscha: A freaking girl-child... FINE! JUST... Just don't speak. I'm not in the mood right now!

Madelene: Hn!

I nodded, relieved. I will take her home first before I find Eda. I won't even think how much pressure Boscha has been in to have such a ragged posture walking at the market.

When we stopped into a residential area, I almost went barreling down a low gate in shock.

Boscha: This is my house. You can go now.

Yeah, that's not a house. That's a fucking mansion with a castle design. Three stories tall with arcs and towers in white bricks and red gravel. Jesus. I looked at Boscha then back at the mansion.

Madelene: It's so big...

And pink and girly. I didn't expect that.

Boscha:... Yes, I concur.

Madelene:... You like it big, huh?

Boscha: Of course? Who doesn't?

Then, as if being called, a voice inside the two heavy doors shouted inside.

???: Beechie? Are you home?

Madelene: Beechie?

What a weird nickname. Boscha sighed too many times today, but she pressed forward. She keeps fiddling with the lock, but since her hands are preoccupied with bags, she can't lift it that much.

Madelene: Here, let me...

I consoled, pitching to pull it while she aligns the gate for easy access.

Boscha: Ma! Open the door for me will you!?

She shouted forward, and a small, sweet and low voice almost belonged to a singer. If I can compare the voice in any movie I watched, it would be like Elsa from frozen.

???: Eyuupp.

Or maybe not. That... doesn't... nevermind. I failed to connect the dots on this one. I saw the double doors open without even a creak, and a long braided redhead witch peeks outside, her round glasses didn't cover the kindness swimming in them.

She's probably Boscha's mother, right?

Boscha: How's mom?

I silently followed, keeping quiet.

???: Sleeping like a giraffe.

Boscha: Shit.

Boscha cursed, murmuring to herself.

I looked up to the adult witch shyly as she tilts her head to the side. She... Boscha's eye color came from this mother.

???: Oh? Who's this?

Oh shit.

This is Boscha's mother!

Oh please, don't be suspicious. Don't be suspicious. Please don't be suspicious that I like your little girl-

Madelene: Hello, ma'am. I can see where Boscha took her beauty. Her mother is another level of grand. Truly marvelous.

-ME!!!?? THAT WAS EVEN WORSE! WHY DID YOU FLIRT WITH THE MOM!?

I can feel Boscha's murderous gaze as I coughed, feeling the blood pumping as my face grew warm of embarrassment.

Madelene: Boscha, your Ma's hot. The genes don't lie.

Don't. Make it. Worse!!!!!!

I bit my tongue, reprimanding myself as Boscha's mom laughed at my being.

Boscha:.. Wh-! Do you have no shame!? That's my mom!

What the hell. Go big or go home, I have no dignity left in front of her laughing mother now. Even if my spirit wailed in humiliation I still continue my thick skin persona. Because clearly I'm a comedian when her mother can't stop laughing at me, right? And she's so cute at the moment, she's clearly trying to protect her mom from me.

Madelene: ... If I can't be yours, then I can be your step-mother.

Boscha: You son of a – they are married!

Seeing her overprotective form and the joy of her mother, I can't help but burst out laughing as well, bowing down in hysterics.

Madelene: Oh god, B. That look is hilarious, haha! Do you really think I stood a chance with your mother? She made a darling kid like you!

Boscha: You-! That's why you keep silent walking here, it really creeps me out! But this is your plan isn't it? Seduce my mom!?

Madelene: Guilty as charged.

Not.

???: My, my... baby, I like this friend of yours.

Ba-baby!? I laughed a little more, giggling as I pat my eyes dry of tears.

Boscha: Ma!

Sharp and angry, but I preen as I saw the pinkette's face turn red.

???:. What? Isn't she?

Boscha just stood there questioning her choices when I introduced myself, pushing my hand out for a handshake which her mom quickly latched to kindly.

Seeing that Boscha's in a trance, maybe I need to go home as well. I don't want to make Boscha angrier than she is.

Madelene: Hello, ma'am, I'm Madelene. I'm Boscha's batchmate. I just walked her home, I'll be on my way now.

Roselia: Call me Roselia, Madelene. Why not have a cup of juice first?

Madelene: I wont say no to that, but I have to get going. I'm sorry for intruding.

Roselia: Quite alright, dear. But I must insist, you must be thirsty for handling a heavy load. I will give you a glass to drink then I'll see you off.

I glance at Boscha for support, who groans out in defeat once again.

Boscha: .... Just get inside.

Lips pursed, I hesitated. I overstay my welcome just now, but Roselia's expectant gaze slowly wins me over as I mentally apologize to Boscha.

I bowed my head as I entered their home. Right away, I was blasted by the smell of peaches permeating their house. Gosh, even the walls are white and the carpets are the same color as their outside. Pink and white really suited feminine aesthetics, but it also shows the exquisite baroque style they have going on. The most interesting part of this is their roof, natural light seeping through easily as balls of light like will o' wisp dance around the room. The insignia of the Potion track proudly hang on banners.

The owl house looks like it's a collectors dumping area with earth brown and cream undertone, making it homely. The Blight's mansion catered into a darker theme with sophisticated flourish and Abomination tracks in its interior, quite formal and mature. This though, this looks straight out of medieval Barbie, with golden trophies lining the walls and pictures over majestic frames.

Three people stood at one humongous frame in particular: a young Boscha smiling between two adoring adults. One triclops and Roselia hugs little Boscha to death.

It compliments Boscha's, but at the same time... not.

Make it a little sporty and it will fit her to a tee, I concur.

Hearing a click of a tongue, I focus my attention on Boscha next to me, arms stretched petulantly.

Boscha: I'll take it to the kitchen.

Madelene: Oh.

Giving her tha bags I admired as she takes if effortlessly, while her mother met her crossway.

Roselia: Don't cook, I'll handle it.

Boscha: Sure.

Roselia: Where is it?

??? Where is it?

Boscha: ... Ma, there's someone watching...

Roselia: Did it stop you before? I'll be very sad if you don't.

Boscha: ... Ugh.. you're like a child.

Oh! A kiss. On the cheek. Wow. Madelene can die now. She just saw. Boscha kisses her mom on the cheek. Glorious.

Light and familiar. Their tones expose how open they are to each other and how devoted her mother is to expressing her adoration to her child. I could only hope in my dreams back then that I have someone that can give me that much comfort as well, but reality is far crueler than my daydreams. I couldn't even be jealous, this is peak familial love.

Roselia: Here's your glass, Madelene...

Madelene: Thank you so much.

Thankfully reaching out, I took small sips and gratefully quenched my thirst. When I'm almost halfway through, I notice Roselia squinting at my appearance, brow raised.

Madelene: Is there.. something on my face?

Roselia: Apologies, you remind me of someone...

Madelene: Friend?

Roselia: Bully from the past.

What on.... It's got to be Odalia.

Roselia: She was green haired such as you, with penetrable blue eyes I could have pierced with a stick. How fortunate of you to have such eye color. Last I heard from her, she's running her husband off his money.

Totally Odalia.

Madelene: Wow, I'm almost an eyesore then...

Roselia: Oh not at all, apologies for my untimely nostalgia. You're quite charming, unlike that leech.

I chuckled, emptying the glass as I saw Boscha calmly walking on marble stairs, adding her own piece.

Boscha: Don't be deceived by her face Ma, she's a menace-

Madelene: Oh, come on now!

Boscha: - A parasite-

Madelene: Hey-!

Boscha: And she's like a fly, always sticking to places she doesn't belong.

Madelene: ....

Boscha: ....

I slowly grin while hers turns even more less. She knew she screwed up, I can tell.

Madelene:.... If I'm a fly, then you are shi-

Boscha: Get out.

With just a second she walks off my vision, throwing a hissy fit. Roselia laughed with me, as I handed my glass towards her, intending to say goodbye.

Madelene: Thanks for the drink, Roselia. I'm going now, I think a second more will make Bosha hate me forever.

Roselia denied it with a soft voice.

Roselia: At ease, dear. Boscha's finicky with her friends, but she's quite soft at heart after the struggles of knowing her. Alas, she's more reactive nowadays, if that child is not in school or training, she focuses on assisting me in taking care of my wife. It's been a whole week since the fever set in, and Boscha truly is afraid of what that implies for her mother.

Whole week? Isn't that dangerous?

As if knowing my thoughts, Roselia weakly smiled.

Roselia: It is quite unusual, yes. I have been concocting potions for her ailment, but none of it lessens her illness.

Madelene: What about dosage? Isn't it possible to have more for her to consume?

Ideally that should be the case, if the person is prone to rely on potions all their life, their body would have more immunity on that set of dosage later. It's a common scientific response, but I didn't know if the Boiling Isle has that. Sometimes I felt that the Demon realm moves backwards, but that's not the case, there's technology and development everywhere, but it really stunted their mindset in different areas as well.

Roselia: Drinking more can be fatal to her body. We can only wait for it to subside on its own.

With that soft tone, did she waved me off my way as I responded and let the double door close its kindness to me.

I think... I... have the solution in mind.

I stand there contemplating, when a cough drags me down at the present.

I saw two children Luz was hanging around, awkwardly waving their hands at me. I believe... Yeah, it's Willow and Gus.

Willow: Hi, Madelene.

Gus: Aye, Madelene! Nice seeing you here!

Madelene: Hello to you two. Everyone's taking a stroll today, huh.

I greeted, locking the gate on my way out, off putting Willow's expression a bit.

Willow: I... you're friends with Boscha?

Her tone turned wobbly for a moment but I didn't take it to heart. I would really be shocked too when I realized it's Boscha's mansion.

Madelene: Something like that. Help her bring items back.

Willow: How kind of you.

They turned towards each other, communicating with their eyes as I looked over each side. I wonder where Luz is?

Madelene: Where's Luz?

At that, Gus and Willow froze on their spot.

Gus: I thought she was with you? Didn't she ask for my card just now?

Oh?

Madelene: [Mittens baby?]

Amity: [Yes, Maddy?]

Madelene: [Where are you?]

Amity: [ Library. Why?]

Madelene: [Nothing~~~ Study hard.]

Madelene: [ Take care of Luz for me, will you? Loves you lots, bayieee~]

Amity felt a tug on her hand, as Luz gazed back at her, curious. She shyly looked at their connected hands, before stuffing her scroll on her pocket, burrowing next to Luz as they read their favorite books in the silence of the secret room.

Out of sight, out of mind.

I didn't have time to find Luz after I went back to the Owl house with a suspicious thought in mind.

When the door appears at the living room just as I returned moments prior, I saw Eda with Owlbert, a trash bag sling- why is it moving?- on her shoulder with a smug grin. Truly, one man's trash is another's treasure I guess. Seeing my cozy state at the couch, she gave me a contemplative hum, grinning.

Eda: Sup, kid? I haven't seen you in days.

Madelene: I knowww... having friends will do that to you. I miss you thoughhhh... where did you go?

Eda just snorts back at me, ruffling my hair in careless abandon. I'm not even going to be mad, I miss this.

Eda: Same kid. Kind of exchanged bargains with pirates, a little far from here.

Madelene: Like, exchange or...

Eda: I didn't threaten them or escape them if that's what you mean.

Madelene: What then?

She opens the trash bag on her shoulders, seeing live fishes that seem ordinary. It clicks for a few seconds.

Madelene: That's a school of small milkfish!

Eda: Ah, is that what this is called? Is it producing milk like your cows back there?

Madelene: No, it's because how savory it is if cooked. But, Eda? What's going on? Why exchange for this? And how did it come from the Isle?

Eda: Beats me. In exchange for edible fish you and Luz can eat, I'll give them treasures from the human realm. That kid will starve herself with just griffin eggs. Makes me feel a little guilty.

I can't help but feel my heart grow in size. I hugged her waist, the cute aggression within me swirling on my heart.

Here I am being a troublemaker, trying to set loose ends while Eda here keeps giving us the best she can give. I didn't deserve her, but dang it I love her for it, she makes me want to stay here, inside her chaotic home and enjoy life as she wanted for us.

She didn't need to tell us to behave, nor mold us into something that others would.

Constricting my throat, I didn't let the emotions drop from my eyes, the insistent adoration for this woman really made me wish that she's the mother I wanted all along.

Eda: Ey, kid! No waterfalls! My limit for skinships' depleted now!

I heard her make squeaky noises, and my melancholy ends there as I snickered at her obvious discomfort.

Madelene: Edaaaa, I love youuuu! You're the best!!!

Eda: Nope, not falling for that. Go away kid, I got somewhere to go.

Madelene: To the human realm?

Eda: To the human realm.

I don't know what got to me.... That's a lie. I have an ulterior motive to go but I volunteered to come with her all the same.

When I stepped out of the dilapidated house's door, it knocked me a few seconds a little, seeing the familiar shadows of trees and brown bushes that I remembered, shrouded in the dimming light of the moon. Completely unhindered, I pulled the beanie, glasses and mask I snatched at Eda's pile, and set it on my face. This is the neighborhood I've been raised to, I wouldn't want anyone recognizing me when Camilla knows Luz and I are out on bootcamp. Even if it's in the middle of the night.

I quickly followed Eda perched on Owlbert and used the clouds to hide our actions against CCTV over the neighborhood.

I looked down at the town we were passing through, adorned with warm lights big and small, towards the larger city across, when I asked Eda where we're going as I hugged her waist, letting her lean body cover the cold air for me.

Eda: There's a huge trash dump in the outskirts as far as I'm aware. We're going to wait for the night to settle in before we can rummage on it.

Madelene: How big is it?

Eda: Failed jewels and cosmetic products. Can't miss it. Pirates likes their eyeliners and treasures.

Well, that explains a lot. But how did she know about it? It's like Eda's pretty much a syndicate on her own.

Madelene: So when we saw Owlbert rummaging the trash... is that a one time thing?

Eda: No? All trash cans have their own treasures in them, we scavengers don't discriminate sizes.

Madelene: But why though?

Eda: Hm?

Madelene: Why scavenge if you could just rob a store at night?

Eda:...

I waited for a while and slowly glanced up when a stare eerily stayed on me. Eda... even I can feel Owlbert staring at me, wonder and disbeliefs on their impressions. Have I said something wrong?

Madelene: What?

Then, as if by magic- Eda pats me on the head with a wicked smile on her face.

Eda: Damn kid, I didn't think you had it in you! Robbing a store, why did I not think of that!?

I blinked in stupefaction. It seems I didn't quite hear that well.

Madelene: You did not- how?! Why did it not cross your mind!?

Eda: I still have a moral compass, and thievery seems to fly off my radar right off the bat.

Madelene: You're a wanted criminal! Why should you have to limit yourself on picking trash when you can have the good quality stuffs?

Eda: Hmmm... you're quite right about that.

Goo-

Eda: And since you propose to rob, why not do it now?!

Squeaking in fright while Owlbert nosedives, I whined as Eda cackled more, invigorating energy thumping on her back.

Madelene: Why should I go with you!?

Eda: You have to experience it with me, kid. You'll be my partner for tonight! We're gonna rob stores to our hearts content!

Madelene: You're insane, Edaaaa!!!

Eda: Live a little kid! Let's make this day memorable!

Laughter bubbles on my throat, my heart shrieking on the impending excitement that courses in my veins. Doubt and fear of the law seemed so far away as we went down.

Oh, what the hell.

Bring it! I'm not going to be a law abiding citizen for this occasion! I'm sorry, Jesus and Camilla! Imma go to hell and greet the devils for you!

But first....

Madelene: Let's go to the pharmacy first. Pleaseeee?

Imma need that medicine first, then I'll interrogate her later.

Not gonna lie, this is the best loot she has gotten for years.

It's not like she lied that it didn't cross her mind to rob, but Eda didn't imply why.

It's been ages since she tried to enter the establishments, those in the big buildings and plastic coins that implies the wealth of the people in there. Took a couple of gold and fast cars here and there and now she's banned from all the buildings that she wants to enter. Hell, she didn't even know where that picture of her strutting came from.

Tonight though, she learns a little bit more how far progressive is the human realm compared to the demon realm. She almost smashed the window, with a slight doubt in mind that they might get chased just like she did back then.

Before she could do that however, Madelene stops her brash antics, and calmly explains videos and shit that just flies off her head. She seemed cautious and Eda waited for her to lead. Madelene then asked Owlbert to destroy some plastic hanging thing, cut off its wire and do the same thing to those inside the vicinity. And when Owlbert returns, Madelene just walks straight through the window, and bash it in with a stone.

Madelene: That thing hanging is called CCTVs, it's a surveillance tool that will identify the identity of those who walk to its sight.

She stated just before she just ransacked the small pharmacy without care in the world.

Huh,she's a natural, Eda thought, keeping the warning in mind.

And now, Eda slowly puts the valuables on her sack, as Madelene browses into a different aisle of the pawnshop they were in. When Madelene has achieved the itty bitty medicines she stole on the pharmacy she spoke of, it seems collecting jewelry isn't that important to her anymore. As unbothered as Madelene seems to be, Eda could only hope to figure out why the kid feels like she's more interested in her younger years than her shenanigans as an adult.

Case in point...

Madelene: Do you still remember all the things you give to your customers?

Eda: Kid, those who do are madmen. I couldn't even recall what I ate yesterday, much less a bunch of unnecessary things to make profit.

Madelene: But there's gotta be something right?

Eda: Sure...

Madelene: So lay it on me! I want to hear a bunch of stuff and whom do you give it to!

Eda: Why?

Madelene: So if I saw them, I would have blackmail on my hands!

Eda: Ooh, that's why you're persistent. Alright, I'll give this to you.

If it so happens that she chose the most brutal and humiliating of gifts, Eda won't give Madelene the chance to pull out of the mess. Ranging from the granny in the mountain's extra large gift perfect for her wives, an adult witchman who took a liking to human realms' toys, a writer who falls in love of vegetable x vegetable novels, to the little kid who bought poison dynamites to bombed the Glandus' summer bootcamp and the two Hexside janitors hoarding the little casino chips she could take and exchanging gossips of the things happening around her Alma Mater.

As she tells tales and gives an honest description and names of her customers, she notices Madelene has her whole attention devoted to her, but little to no reaction. As they were walking down the streets, opting to find a place they could ride Owlbert, did Madelene's attention seems to sharpen when Eda made a hand off comment about collecting dump books and selling it. A lot of them Eda ain't even interested in reading, but they made her a target of execution from the Emperor's Coven the most.

For such books her reward money skyrockets after all.

As they ascend, Madelene continues as Owlbert flies them back to the old house.

Madelene:So which buyer do you remember the most?

Eda: In which category?

Madelene: Uniqueness?

Eda: The book or the person?

Madelene: Both?

Eda: An Emperor's Coven member. It's a book called... hmm... I think the title was How to Overthrow a Dictatorship.

Madelene: Yikes... Uh... what about how much money you were given?

Eda: I don't remember that one, money doesn't matter to me.

Madelene: Uh... well, how about suspiciousness?

Eda: Kid, everyone's suspicious. Having books that are not approved by the Coven will lead you to jail.

Madelene: Sorry.. Well, how about uh... unexpected?

Eda: I don't get it.

Madelene: Someone you know, but did not expect to come to you.

Now, that puts Eda in a trance. There are many witches that come to her for aid, but someone unexpected? Someone she knew?

With a deep thought, her mind recalls a rainy night and a silhouette burned by the boiling rain, drenched from head to toe, but her eyes were scared and desperate. It's the first time she saw that look in that person. It is quite a memorable exchange, not because of what she bought, but how each begging leads to Eda being uncomfortable enough to find the book quickly as she leaves the person at her house alone.

Since then, she has not seen her, not even in the distance. Glancing quickly back at Madelene, Eda might even say that they look similar when they were at the same age. But, who knows right.

Eda: Yeah, I do have one. I've not met her since.

Madelene: Was she dead?

Eda: No. I keep hearing she managed her husband's business for years. She's alive and kicking.

Madelene: What's the book she bought you though?

Eda: It's an alchemy book from the human realm. I barely remembered it, but it's a black book with squiggles for cover, Forbidden Knowledge of something something, black magic, something something, divination. Weird enough, that woman's on Oracle track back then, and alchemy were mostly for Potion brewing and stuff.

Madelene: Are you close?

Eda: Barely. She's fun to tease.

At that they land with Eda still recalling the past with a wide grin, and opens the secret door with the key on her neck. Madelene's almost green look unnoticed.

Madelene: Is she like... your friend or something? You look smug about teasing her... do you have a past relationship?

Eda responded quickly, humming.

Eda: No. I know her, but we're not close. She's just fun to tease at school.

Madelene almost sagged with relief. Almost.

But Eda continues, shocking her to her core.

Eda: We had a one night fling after I gave her the book. After that, she left without saying goodbye.

Madelene: What!?

Eda: It's better that she did that. I don't know what I will say either. It's not like I coveted a pregnant woman, she just came straight down to business, and I don't have the chance to refuse. She's hot as hell.

Madelene: WHAT!? EDA, WHO!?

Boscha: Why are you here?

The audacity of this person. It's almost midnight now. Boscha would have slammed the door back to her face if Madelene didn't shove a plastic bag onto her face. Stumped, she squints at the contents inside, ears turning up in surprise.

She pulls one box and shakes it, giving Madelene a look as if she better explain. The light behind her would have hidden her severe expression.

Madelene: Ah... I just got back from the human realm, and brought something for Aunty...

Twitching at Madelene's address to her mother, she watched as Madelene leaned close to her, opening some... scroll looking thing and a flashlight appeared at its back. She points it at the bag, and carefully, points at each box with a soft look.

Madelene: This one is for aunties' cough. This one for phlegm. This one's for fever. And others for different uses like inflammation, soreness, vitamins and nutrients for sustenance. I've written a list of what medicines to use and how much one should drink per day and for how long.

Boscha: ... This is all for my mother? She needs to drink all of this?

Madelene: Not all of them, but if you want aunty to recover, you need to follow the dosage per day, okay?

Swallowing the bile on her throat, Boscha grit her teeth. It's... she wouldn't even reject this offer, even if it hurts her pride. Her mother has been sick for days, and the potions didn't help anymore.

Seeing her conflicting emotions, Madelene assured her.

Madelene: I think aunty has become resistant to potion drinking now, and it's quite common to those who rely too much on it that the body will build a resistance to it, either good or bad.

Boscha:... Do you think this will save my mom?

Madelene: Don't worry, I've taken that when I'm in the human realm and human medicines work for witches. Too well, in fact.

Boscha: Too well?

Seeing that her spirits grew alive, Madelene nodded enthusiastically.

Madelene: Back then, me and Luz hurt our feet so much that we were put on a cast. It only took me four days on medication to set my muscle and bone, while Luz suffered for three months.

Boscha: I hope you're not just playing tricks on me just to be on my good side.

Madelene quickly shook her head, understanding her worry.

Madelene: I don't lie about health. Honest.

Boscha slowly accepted that, slowly putting her guard down.

Now that she notices it, Boscha's on her pj's, accented by yellow ducks with rows of teeth as a theme. Madelene looked at her phone and winced. Yeah. It's unusual to visit anyone's home at night, even if they are your best friend.. Boscha as well, saw Madelene's clothes as the one she wears in the morning. Did the fool go somewhere and went straight here without changing?

Before she could ask, Madelen takes a step back out of the porch with an awkward wave.

Madelene: Well, I've overstayed my welcome. I'm going back home.

Slowly trekking down the dark, Madelene froze as footsteps followed her down. She turned, confused, looking at Boscha's blank face.

Madelene: ... Why are you following me?

She looks at Madelene like she wants to kill her with a stick on the spot.

Boscha: I'm going to lock the gate after you go out.

Madelene: Oh.... I could've done it though?

Boscha: ...Safer this way.

Madelene: Oh... okay.

She passes the threshold of the gate, opting to not look back as she thinks of the grueling process of returning back at night to the owl house when Boscha, yet again, surprises her with a tug on her shirt.

Madelene: Yes?

She didn't turn, but Boscha slowly let her go. Her outside looks calm, but her heart's beating so fast. Dang, Boscha's cute level turns up the notch!

Boscha: .... About today...

With ears perked, Madelene waited.

Madelene: Hm?

Boscha: Don't tell anyone.

Well, Madelene's not one to gossip of other's plight so she agreed.

Madelene: Roger that. Not a fan of speaking ill will of others anyway.

... If they didn't deserve it, is her silent addition.

Madelene: Is there anything else?

A beat. Then two. Madelene took a peek behind her and saw Boscha's serious expression.

Boscha: What do you want?

It came up hoarse, but Boscha won't admit it comes from her thumping heart. She doesn't know what she is feeling, but with Madelene walking away, not looking back to properly say goodbye... it irks Boscha to no end. So like a fool, she extends a snapping branch. Just to make her stay longer. Make her linger... Titan, what is wrong with her? Ah! That's right! It's her righteousness. Her pride. It's got to be.

Madelene: Boscha?

Boscha: What do you want in return for this?

Idiot, Boscha thought as Madelene tilts her head in consternation.

Madelene: You remember our bet?

Boscha stops, a hesitant nod goes a long way.

Madelene: I might cash it up soon.

Boscha: Why not do it tonight?

Madelene: What?

What!? Cash up tonight!?, Boscha's internal monologue screamed. For a moment, she felt the blush burning its face to her face, but Boscha doesn't want a hanging knife, always reminding her that she has a debt to repay. Better than here and now, than later.

Boscha: You heard me. Just state it and I will do it the best I can.

Madelene: No, no! It's not necess-

This utter fool. Boscha sneered, compromising.

Boscha: Take it or leave it. After tonight, my debt will be nulled. You take your chance, since I will not do this again.

In the dilemma, Madelene's eyes went side to side then up and down. Boscha didn't know if she would sigh in relief or be annoyed at her indecision. No matter, it's a win for her-

Madelene: Then... Can I get a kiss?

Blue meets burgundy.

Then...

Two faces bloom red under the laughing moon.

—-

Roselia got startled when the front door slammed down loudly, echoing into the whole house. Her wife twitched at her side, humming in distress. Roselia's heart churned painfully, patting the sweat off her wife's face slowly, pushing the pink strands away.

Roselia: It's just Boscha, darling.

???: Where did she go?

It's barely a mumble but Roselia understood nonetheless. She smiled at her wife, softly cooing.

Roselia: Your daughter brought home a friend today, her name's Madelene. Someone knocked at the door just now, and Boscha went down when she saw it was her.

???: What time is it?

Roselia: It's past eleven o' clock, Eve.

Eve: Why... midnight?

Roselia: Yes, I don't know either, my love. We'll just wait for Boscha, okay?

Eve: K-kids...*cough* these... days...

Roselia: We're worse than them, my love. Aren't you the one who acted like a burglar for two months before I asked you to be my girlfriend.

Eve: ... kids these days... *cough* *cough*... So weak.

Roselia: Pfft, I stand correct.

A hum, then a cough. Roselia waits for her daughter to return as she slides her hand at her wife's thin back. Roselia's eyes burn with sadness.

A moment later, thuds went up the stairs and she saw Boscha with a glass of water in hand and a bag on the other.

Roselia: Baby? What's that?

Boscha: Madelene brought medicines for mom.

Roselia: Medicine?

Boscha: From the human realm.

Roselia: Oh!

Surprised, Roselia watched her daughter read a paper then methodically opened small boxes to take different shapes for her mother to drink. Then, she poured a small liquid in one spoon, wafting off a sweet smell before she put it in her bedridden mother's mouth.

When all has been done, Boscha stares at the clock intensely, as if waiting for the medicine to take effect. Roselia used that time to ask questions, perplexed but trusting. She was cautiously reading the labels, finding it complicated but assured of what ingredients it is within the product... even most of them she could not understand.

Roselia: I didn't know Madelene has a connection to such a realm, dear.

Boscha stiffened, letting go just as fast.

Boscha: She was raised there. She went and took medicines she used after you told mom's condition.

Roselia: She went there because of your mom?

Boscha: That's what she implies.

Roselia went silent, dumbfounded at Madelene's actions. Minutes passed as they waited for the unknown while Roselia continued to pamper her wife and ease the sweat on a towel.

After a few minutes, Boscha and her mother can't help but be amazed as the bubbly phlegm on Eve's each breathe gradually fade away, her heavy breathing ease in a sigh while Roselia noticed that the towel on her hand wasn't as hot as it was before Boscha let her mother drink the medicine.

Just like that, their expression turns joyful as Eve's face slowly softens. As if her pain just went away. Roselia sobbed on her wife's head, murmuring grace that her wife was spared of further pain.

Boscha, unlike her mother, hides the relief she felt. She gripped the instructions in her hand, knowing she needs to continuously feed her mother to not have a relapse as Madelene said.

Roselia: Sweetheart, bring the girl over next time. I want to thank her properly for helping your mom.

Tongue tied, Boscha could only nod. Her mother, so engulfed by relief, didn't see her daughter's reddened cheeks, one hand covering the lower half of her face. Her eyes glance to the left.

No need. I already paid for it.

—--

Beneath the Blight mansion, lies a part of a basement far away from the laboratory Alador is using. It can only be accessed by going into the attic and climbing down a ladder situated at the very back of the room, covered by wood planks and cloth.

Fortunately, Emira is a mischievous child and has roamed every nook and cranny of the Blight mansion. Having been given an opportunity when Odalia and Alador went away for a small business, she went down and executed her plan. Edric is on the lookout, creating an illusion to duplicate her if an emergency comes. Amity would have helped, but Emira's sister has gone to sleep already, and she doesn't have the heart to wake her up.

Emira:I think this is it.

She whispered to herself, thumbing the book's pages at their family's very own library. It was situated so deep within the shelves, it lays flat behind two thick books, collecting dust as it was forgotten with time.

She should've been sleeping now as well, but Madelene's message chased her sleepiness away in a beat when she provided the information she needed... and then some.

Skimming through the pages, Emira's face turns thoughtful as the contents spilled its knowledge within her.

Demons and spirits differ?

Vampires and werewolves?

Witches burn at the stake?

This is a common knowledge in the Isle, but she concurs humans aren't welcoming of the unknown.

Not gonna lie, humans have some of the wackiest mindset that blows comprehension out of her thoughts.

Demons possessing humans?

Exorcizing demons with religious beliefs?

Corpse buried with their treasures for a smooth process in the afterlife?

Life after death?

Reincarnation?

She would have laughed... if the next pages aren't dog- eared and highlighted. The amusement in her eyes turned to horror, as she read and read, trying not to puke.

Animalcules- Spermist theory

– birth of life between human and other animals—- thought of a man's seed as a 'little man', put into the womb of a human woman or an animal to form a being.

Little man, also known as 'homunculus' —

—- artificial human-like beings created through alchemy.

So engrossed with her reading, it was too late before she can react as a figure taps her on the shoulder, huffing a silent-

???: Boo.

Emira screamed.

You got the nerve to ask me that.

Fine.

Why are you backing away?

There.... It's not that hard isn't it?

Careful... I might take interest in you... and you will not like that. Not at all.

Idiot.

You know, you're pretty good. You just need to keep your mouth shut. I'll help you with that in the future.

Leave now, good girl. I won't give you a second chance.

Luz: Eda?

Eda: Sup, kid.

Luz: I think Maddy is sick.

Eda: Huh?

Luz: She just got back home and just went straight to bed. When I look, she looks like a boiled lobster and isn't responding.

Eda: Oh wow. Did I traumatize her that much?

Luz: Edaaa, what did you do?

Eda: Give forbidden info. I think she doesn't like the idea of a one night stand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.8K 325 19
Striking a deal with the devil probably wasn't smart... When Hexside High School's newest transfer student, Luz Noceda, runs into trouble on her firs...
23.3K 629 20
Luz Noceda was a troublemaker for sure. The Hispanic girl always got into fights with people over stupid things. It didn't help that she was failing...
37.8K 840 21
After four years of being back in the human realm, Luz Noceda finds herself able to return back to the Boiling Isles she once called home herself. Bu...
855 30 4
Miguel Rivera is just a regular boy, wanting wanting a peaceful Summer with his best friend Luz until something Magical calls upon them This is an al...