Not Giving Into Fate

By a-girl-who-wishes

I was the daughter of Duke Solon, I thought I was the last child. My elder brother is following in my father'... More

1. Necklace of Rope and Needles
2. Morning Plans
3- Awkward Talks
4- Missing Mage
5- An Unlikely Friend
6- A Lady in the Park
7- Family acting like a family
8- Meeting with the Masters
9- Book Club Initiation
10- The Trash Man Makes a Visit
11- The Memory Orb
12- Long Meetings
13- Dinner and Trial Plans
14. Day of the trial, part 1
15- Day of the Trial, part 2
16- Execution
17- Family Dinners
18- The Morning After
19- The Hunting Tournament
20-Hunting Tournament 2
21- The Grand Sorcerer
22- Rides with the Grand Sorcerer
23- A Surprising Sibling Brunch
24- The Substitute
25- The Opening of Doors
26- Tour of the Tower
27- The break- in
28- Night at the Opera
29- The First Day of Classes
30- Breaking His Curse
31- The Pope and his teas
33- My Coming of Age
34- The Bastard's Reveal

32- The Bulnan Chief

151 8 0
By a-girl-who-wishes

The week was chaotic. I had spent the time juggling between classes, answering questions my TAs didn't know, meeting with various people in my department, meetings with all the Masters, private meetings with the Grand Sorcerer, ignoring the Princes, appointments set up for my birthday party, researching Sir Pine's curse and trying to set up a meeting with Duke Driscol who ignored every letter.

It's two days before my party and I arranged a meeting with the Chief of the Bulnan tribe. Milo and I met with the Chief in the dark night. We had a formal meeting with him, my brother and the Pope to talk of future negotiations of sharing knowledge. But tonight, we were to talk about the private deal that I have to deal with.

Milo teleported to me and then he took the both of us to the meeting spot. A dark cloak covered my head and silhouette which I was grateful for. We are in a dark alley and I recognize it as the Undergrounds, the place where I was attacked a few weeks ago. I didn't want to be recognized and potentially attacked once again.

"You best be careful of him. He's a caged animal who we've tamed the slightest. Do not show hesitation or weakness because he can take your life if he feels if you can't help him with his plans." I don't have time to respond to that because Milo ushers me to a door which opens after a specific set of knocks. I see a tall dark man in unusual clothing. I recognize him as a Bulnan, a foreigner through and through. I quickly follow Milo, letting the foreigner guide us up the stairs and through the deserted apartment.

As I follow the man, I feel my anxiety rise as I wonder what was the cost of my life. I had upset the balance of nature. I know the cost is steep, but with their demands... it seems like an unlikely dream.

We enter through a door and the smell of Sandalwood, amber and... some other scent my trained nose could not pick up. Since I work with Ancient Magic, I often have to use herbs but this soft smell was delectable and I wanted to smell more of it. I wanted to lay down and sleep, wrapped in a drowsy haze of everlasting sleep.

I walk through the apartment and admired the way it is decorated. Rugs of dark  varying reds cover the floor, soft against my shoes. I can instantly tell they were imported and worth a fortune. The hallways of the old building were decorated with some art and colorful mosaics, bringing life to the room. I followed behind the men, the new culture mesmerizing to the eye.

We came to a room and I saw that the walls were draped by a fabric that gave the resemblance of a tent that was inviting due to the many, many pillows, rugs and cushions littered about. There was a small circular table that had food, a teapot and some candles. Candles were placed everywhere to give off light.

In the middle of the tent- like room, there was a dark spot where the light barely hit. I saw a man lean forward. He had white hair that I recognized to be a sign of Creator's favorites, similar with my hair. He leaned forward, his dark brown body was covered in light. He had a robe on and a shirt was missing. He has gold jewelry hanging from his dreadlocks and neck, a perfect sign of lazy luxury.

We made eye contact, yellow eyes of gold against my green. I broke eye contact and follow Milo, sitting across from him and next to the Bulnan Chief. I couldn't stop staring at him. I settle on a cushion that was very comfortable.

I've heard many stories of his kind, and this was my first time meeting a Bulnan. People spoke of their dark skin color, the way they were vicious and grotesquely horrifying to look at. However, looking at this man... he was incredibly handsome and that made me ignore all that others have said. He waved his hand and the man left us alone with him.

He looks at me, leaning forward so we were sharing breaths. "So, you are the one we saved." He looks me up and down, eyes heavy on every part that he lands on. I feel myself stand up straighter, showing him that I was meant for a second life.

I gulp and nod. "Yes," I smile. "Thank you for bringing me back to life."

He doesn't say a word and leans back. He hums, looking at me some more before looking at Milo. He doesn't speak for a few minutes before he looks back at me. "I understand Milo has told you of our deal?"

"Yes." I nod my head. "In exchange for my life, Milo and I are to give you a place amongst the nobles and some land for your people."

"Yes and no." The Chief sighs, reaching over and grabbing a pipe. It lights up by itself, no doubt he enchanted magic.

"What do you mean no?" Milo speaks up. "That was our deal. Today, we are here to speak about a plan to put it into fruition."

He puffs out some smoke and shakes his head. "I want a seat at Parliament and some land. All nobles have a seat in that room, and I will have one too."

I purse my lips. "I'm sorry, are you of noble descent? Because-"

"My mother was the only child of Count Fontaine."

"They no longer exist." I remember that piece of knowledge. I never cared to remember much of them, I just recall that fact because of the sudden and random disappearance of the entire estate was all over the news when I was young.

"That's because I was born." He puffs out. "My mother fell in love with my father. The Count's territory borders our territory and a forbidden love blossomed between the two and I was born. Duke Stiling heard of this and well... a disagreement between my grandfather and that man occurred. It resulted in the Duke killing everyone on my mother's side for allying with the Bulnan tribe."

"That's horrible." I gasp, looking at Milo and see he doesn't look surprised. "What-"

"It's classic racism and I'm tired of it. As of now, there is an empty seat in Parliament and my tribe has the official documents of my parent's wedding ceremony. I have a right to claim the seat, but I need official backing." He sets down the pipe and leans forward. The robe falls off his shoulder and reveals a strong chest that my eyes gravitate towards.

"That's why you're here." I understand. "You need my family's support. You need me as a Master of the Magic Tower and my brother because he is the Captain of the Temple."

I take a deep breath, not liking the idea that I will be used once again. The Prince targeted me as his fiancée for this exact reason. I don't like the sad fact that my family is being used for someone else's gain... but I'm alive because of this man and he can take it back. I have to follow it. I swallow my pride and nod my head.

"Yes, we have an official meeting tomorrow. It will be of: the Chief of the Bulnan tribe sharing our centuries worth of knowledge on magic and the gods between the Tower and the Temple. The Grand Sorcerer, the Master of Ancient Magic, the Pope and the two Captains will meet with me and we will come to an agreement. You will have the job of convincing your brother to let me stay. With my stay and your support, I will get my seat at Parliament and you will stay alive. Will your brother help me?"

I nod my head, unsure of what my brother will do but I have to lie right now. "Yes. You can depend on us."

-/-/-/-/-

I sit in the room, listening to the men talk around me. I've spoken with Elric and he has agreed to humor the Chief. I know in the end he will do what the Pope wants. I look over at the man in his late 20s. He's handsome, tall, strong and would have been a perfect marriage candidate any young woman would die for were it not for the vow of celibacy he took. As a child, I came to love him but he always saw me as a younger sister. As I grew older, I understood that he was just a nice man who pitied a young child who faced a cruel father.

I make eye contact with Pope Rowan and he smiles at me. I smile back, but my attention turns toward the conversation. Duke Driscol, a man sitting taller than the others, asks the Bulnan chief some questions. Duke Driscol is only here because I had asked of him. In honesty, he doesn't need to be here. This is mainly between the Tower and the Temple, but as an influential figure who we need to strengthen our ties with, I figured letting be part of this is a good step. Milo allowed it.

Milo sits next to me. We are all presently seated in an abandoned safe house made back in the day for old mages. We couldn't meet in the Tower, the Temple, or Northern property due to the fact someone may see us all together. We can't let anyone know of what we plan to do.

On a table, a deck of cards is shared amongst us all as we lazily play a game of poker. While I learned how to play the game when I was young, it's been many years since I've touched these cards. I stare at my cards and look at the chips, the salty peanuts are used as currency instead of actual money. Rowan is forbidden to gamble, so peanuts are used between rich noblemen.

"You still have evaded my one question," Duke Driscol says as he peers over his cards. "Why are you here?"

"I haven't evaded it, I've already answered. It is my birthright. My grandfather's seat is empty and I am here to reclaim it." The Chief slides two peanuts into the miniature pile.

The game has three cards faced open and two cards are in each person's hands. Staring at a King, Jack and a ten, the odds are close to my favor since I have a Queen. To win I need a nine to be revealed. I push two peanuts and the other men follow suit. Rowan, the dealer, puts a card in the graveyard and reveals a nine.

I hide my smirk easily, the taste of a win on the tip of my tongue. I look at the men, each looking at their own cards then the ones on the table, debating on folding or betting.

"Do you have proper proof?" My brother asks, folding by revealing his poor hands.

"I have a legal birth certificate and legal wedding certificate including the portraits commissioned by my grandfather." The Chief responds and bets two peanuts.

Milo folds and crosses his arms. "I've already checked the legitimacy and he is the next heir." I see he had revealed his poor hand, a six and a two.

"Besides," I speak and bet two peanuts. "It's common knowledge that the Bulnan tribe are a group of people who combine magic and theology. It will be beneficial for the Tower and Temple to learn from each other. We're already there... imagine what more we can accomplish."

I watch as Duke Driscol bets and then Rowan reveals the second card and I swallow. This hand is a good hand, I can taste it.

"I think the main question is why should we learn from you?" Rowan asks. I freeze and look at the Pope. "Why should I make the effort to support you in front of the Temple's council? Why should Milo vouch for you in the Tower? Why should the Dukes support you in Parliament? How do you benefit us?"

I look at the remaining players: the Bulnan Chief, Duke Driscol, and I. I raise my bet to three peanuts and the men follow in suit.

"I can unify the Temple and Tower in a way that was never thought before. Duke Driscol, how did you receive your scar? Where did you go for treatment?" The Chief asks and I lower my cards and slowly look at the Duke.

He was about to bet, but he pauses. I see him glance at my brother, and when I follow his glance I see my brother pale. I furrow my brows, something has happened between the two... but what? Is this the cause of their useless feud?

"I got it while I was attacked by dragon fire. I had gone to the Tower and Temple for treatment, but the scar did not fade." He says carefully before betting.

"I can fix it." The chief states and I look at him in all of his seriousness. "The dragon is a creature blessed by the gods and filled with magic. It's a being that breaks your two separate schools of thought. However, I am fluent in both and I can heal you." He finishes with a bet.

I look at the Duke, curious if he is willing to put the man to the test. "I'm a man who is known by his scar. The Scavenger Lords in the North fear my scar, it is a symbol of my strength. I do not want it removed."

"Reveal your cards." Rowan stares. I show my straight, proud of my cards. I see that the Duke has two pairs, but I beat his hand. I look at the Chief and my smile drops when I see a full house. 

"Watch." The Chief claps his hands and Elric grabs the side of his face, throwing his head back with pain. He groans in pain and everyone stands in fright. Slowly he stops and he opens his hand to reveal a scarred eye. I pale, remembering the exact scar he had in the past.

I turn to Milo, terrified but trying my best to hide it. The Chief knows of my brother's scar from the war, the scar that left him blinded. He became a shell of himself, and here he sits before me, scarred and ruined once again. Milo has a calm face, not revealing his thoughts. I look to the Chief and he's staring straight at me.

He's playing me. He knows what this scar means to me. It's a warning... he will leave this scar which is a reminder of the past that I died in. I swallow, remembering Milo's warning on how we're barely taming this mad creature. I need to be rational. I take a deep breath and force myself to stay calm, keeping eye contact with the Chief.

"What did you do?" Rowan asks, running to my brother's aid.

"I burned him with the poison of a wyvern. It's a type of dragon. Scars from dragons can only be healed with the combined power of magic and the gods." The Chief says, making eye contact before he claps his hands.

Elric doubles over in pain, grunting and breathing harshly. I look away from the Chief and watch my brother. I step forward, playing the loving sister and kneeling next to him, staying close to him. After a few more seconds, his breathing regulates and he looks at me. The scar has disappeared and he looks the same as before. I let out a sigh of relief and reach forward, touching where the scar had been and see that it is truly gone.

"You used a dragon's power to give and take away the scar." Duke Driscol states. I turn to look at him, his face doesn't reveal much of his thoughts. I stand up, still touching my brother's shoulder as he sits and catches his breath.

"So it is true." Rowan gapes.

"I can show you how to harness a dragon's magic. Imagine what the new wave of medicine will look like? Blessings will be stronger because there is more to learn about what the gods favor. Magic will be stronger in all aspects; ancient, elemental, and more. Imagine a new cohort of soldiers that exists in all the armies. I can help usher in a new millennia, but I need your support in Parliament." The Chief finishes his short speech and grabs the peanuts.

"Why should I help you?" Duke Driscol clears his throat. "All you've done is put him through burning pain."

"I can put an end to the Scavenger lords. I know how to permanently kill the Malians that plague your territories and destroy your walls. Have you wondered why they just won't die?" The Chief grins. "They're like the dragons. You need both the gods power and magic to kill them. I'll create special tools for you."

"Tools?" He asks. "And how long will this take?"

"Until I have secured land for my people, they will be instructed to make weapons to be sold to all armies, temple, and tower." He states.

There's silence, the weight of powerful weapons that can be used probably itches their curiosity. Any smart investor will believe this man, and luckily the Chief has a full room of them.

I look at my brother and see he's looking at me. I nod my head and he gives me a single nod. I watch him exchange a glance with the Pope who turns from looking at the Duke. They exchange nods. I watch the Dukes give each other a curt nod. I look to Milo, and see he lets out a small sigh of relief.

"I shall speak to my council. Is there anyone here that dissents to the unification of the Tower and Temple by accepting the Bulnan Chief?" Milo asks aloud. No own says a word.

"Alright." Milo steps closer to me. "Master Solon and I shall leave now to speak with our other Masters. Pope Rowan please order an emergency meeting. We shall immediately speak with the King if both sides agree. I will send an owl at sunrise."

"I shall wait for it then. I am hopeful that good news will occur." Rowan smiles.

I watch as the men stand up, speaking with each other to finalize details. I look to the Chief, seeing him speak with the Pope and my brother.

We step outside, but Rowan is bombarded by his bird. He steps to the side to read and respond to the letter addressed to him. I decide to stretch as make my way to a blueberry bush planted near the safe-house.

I kneel down and start picking, suddenly hungry due to a lack of food I've consumed. I wait here, picking the berries and keep an eye out for the Duke. I need to speak with him about Sir Pine and apologize once more.

Milo's footsteps are loud, he doesn't need to hide himself. "Do you want one?" I ask, offering him some of the berries I had picked.

"No." He runs a hand through his hair. "I received a letter that a damn pyromaniac destroyed half of the west wing of the training hall."

"What?" I ask, bewildered by the statement.

"I don't even know whats happening with the kids these days... let's go. It's going to be a long night when I speak with the King." He offers his hand, silently telling me to take it. I hesitate, looking at the door to try and find Duke Driscol, but he hadn't exited yet. I grab Milo's extended hand, knowing we need to stop the fire before it spreads. Milo snaps his fingers and we disappear.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

295 3 1
I live in a world where I am nameless. I live in a world where I do not matter except or unless I am owned by someone. I do not have rights, freedoms...
158 6 12
Two twin sisters drifted apart because of misunderstandings and screaming by there on family no less. Zan Cui the one with a dragon fate was seen as...
20.5K 815 51
My name is Princess Annebelle Kinston. My mom and dad rule this kingdom. My brother is to be the next ruler and my sister after him. No one likes the...
530 90 41
I ran as fast as I could. " you can't run away from me forever sweetheart, you are mine." He said, " what do you want from me?" I screamed at the top...