Falling for the unloveable

By lively2107

Iris Moore, she kind but cold, caring but quiet. With an abusive father, two sisters to raise and a group of... More

First day
Game day
Shot of lemonade
Movie night
Mickeys
Dumpster dive
Losing the bet
Ballroom dancing
Adventure:
Fun with Bailey
Goodbyes, first words and eyes of the past
Threats and girlfriends
Night excursion
Family dinner
Family discussions
Truths and fights
'The real me'
Fair fight and a girls night
An errand for a friend
Accepting help
Family BBQ
Dish race/near faintings
Block him
Not so brave anymore
Zoo on a wednesday
Nightly affairs/babysitting
Babysitting/girls like us
Pre party antics
Party time
I love you
Rehash the past/catfight
On the road
Art 2
Run! (x2)
Birthday cake
Hairdresser
Halloween treat
Clinging before he leaves
Thanksgiving
Mama/friendsgiving
Home at last
Past induced panic
Finding peace
Old habits
Losing the kids too
Scrooge
Dangerous driving
Finding her
How her sister sees it
It all comes out
Healing friendships
Tattoos and visitings parents
Date night
Biggest supporters
Boat party
Tainted image
Missing you
Beach day
Authors note

Being selfish

539 8 0
By lively2107

Iris:

"Shouldn't you be on lunch right now? And You can't keep skipping homeroom" miss young reminds me as I sit with my knees to my chest on a chair across from her desk. "Yes and why not?"
"Because I'll get in trouble and hiding from your problems doesn't make them go away" her eyes peer over the computer she's typing on to look at me. "Who said I have any problems? Maybe I just enjoy your company" I smile sweetly at her.

"I think you forget that I've been teaching you for four years now Iris" her tone is omniscient and I roll my eyes. "I'll stop skipping on Monday" she hums, focusing back on whatever she's doing on her computer while I scroll through Spotify. That's what I've been doing for the past couple days; hiding out in my favourite teachers office and playing music through my AirPods.

Im halfway through listening to Cool About It by boy genius when I feel a glooming presence casting a shadow over me. I look up to miss who only spares a glance at the unwanted visitor to raise an eyebrow before getting back to her work. My eyebrows furrow at her reaction before I turn in my seat to see who the culprit of ruining my song is. My eyes land on an awaiting figure who gestures to the door.

"Go for a walk on the field, the fresh air will do you some good" I look back at my teacher who waves me off and I huff. Looks like I'm going for a walk. "Bye miss"
"Bye Iris, oh and don't be smoking out there" I nod, walking to the door with Jake by my side. We walk with our footsteps in time toward the back doors where a cool breeze wafts over us.

"So what do you want to talk about?"
"You" which side of me? Is what I want to ask but I refrain. "I don't think there's anything to say" Jake allows silence to fall over us, like a warm blanket in autumn, while we stroll over the field toward an old oak tree that sits in the very corner of the school grounds. Once we reach the brown bark we take a seat with our backs against the rough texture.

"You've been all over the place recently" tell me about it, I feel like the worlds spinning around me and I'm having to run to keep up with it. But eventually I realised I couldn't and know I let myself get lost in the background.
Then other times it's so slow that I can feel everything for an insufferable amount of time, that is normally when my father has gotten to me.

"I'm sorry" I'm hard work for my friends, god knows that. "I don't want an apology, I want you to tell me what is going on in that mind field of yours" he pokes my temple and I huff out a breath, smiling the tiniest bit.
"I don't really know myself" I have so many feelings, so many thoughts but putting them into words and explaining why or what I'm feeling is so difficult that it feels impossible. So I never try, I let my thoughts remain in my head where they thrive and overshadow any sense.

"Why have you been avoiding us?"
"I haven't-"
"Truth or nothing" he sounds so alike to Bailey that I wouldn't be surprised if they had been texting each other. "Fine. You scared me when you said that I was falling for Elias"
"Why are you scared?"
"Because I'm hard work and he could have literally any other girl that would love him and love him right. I can't do that" by hard work I mean unloveable and a down right waste of air.

"But he wants you"
"That's the problem" I need him to not want me and maybe some time apart will give him the chance to see all of his other options.
"No your problem is that you need to stop thinking that no one can like you for you. And even if you were hard work it's work he wants to have so let him. Be selfish and let him have what he wants, what you want too" my eyes lower to the ground where I pluck some grass from the ground. That's all so much easier said than done.

"Stop giving me great speeches and let me live in my own little world of running away, in peace" i grumble and he snorts. "How far has that imaginary world of yours gotten you huh?" Scowling I pick up the small pile of grass I've made and throw it at his face. His face drops as he spits out small blades of green while I burst out laughing. "Your face" I choke out.
"You are so dead" he calmly states, a little too calmly in my opinion.

"You won't do anything" my voice trails off in uncertainty. "Do you really believe that?" He cocks an eyebrow with a smirk.
"No" I jump onto my feet and run away but he's quick on my tail with his athletic legs trained to beat opponents much faster than me. I've got no chance. I dodge students and duck under branches as I make my short escape from Jake. Breathless laughs escape my mouth like lava flowing out of a volcano as I run carelessly.

Only to come to a stumbling stop as I'm cornered in front of a line of bushes.
"Are you done running?" His menacing voice sounds close, very close.
"Yes I surrender, I'm sorry" raising my hands I turn around to face Jake who smirk's triumphantly. "Apology accepted" he takes small steps forward as he continues, "but I need justice" he lunges, attempting to push me into the bush but I duck out of the way at the last second. As he goes tumbling into the green leaves his hand shoots out and grabs onto my wrist. With a hard pull, he sends me falling after him.

"Jake!" I yell out but contradict my own annoyance as another laugh bursts out of me. His own hilarity makes me smile wider as his laugh travels through the sticks and leaves to reach my ears. "There are twigs in my hair" I complain as I hear a rustling beside me and then he appears in front of me with an extended hand.

"You started it" pouting I take his hand and use it to pull myself up. "I didn't think it would end like that! And throwing a little bit of grass is not the same as throwing someone into a bush" I point an accusing finger at his chest and he continues to smirk. "I never said I wanted equal justice" rolling my eyes I start to pick out all of the greenery in my hair.

"Go back to being silent, you're nicer" Jake quirks an eyebrow before mocking the movement of pushing me over again. "No!" I yell, latching onto his arm tightly so I don't go back down again. But instead of letting me fall he laughs in my face. "That was not funny" I glare.
"No, it was hilarious"
"You are as annoying as Malcolm" that definitely hit a nerve as his whole face turns serious.

"Take that back" he demands.
"Nope" it's my turn to smirk now.
"I am not like Malcolm" he looks like I just told him his football skills are as good as a demented pigs', utterly offended.
"Yes, you are"
"Am not"
"You are"
"Am not" grinning I let my face say all that needs to be, instead of continuing to argue with him.

"I agree with Moore" a new voice startles me as an arm drapes itself across my shoulders. Looking up to my left, I find Elias with an easy grin and bright eyes. "You didn't even hear what she said" Jake accuses and I glance at newbie to see if it's true. "It's an easy choice between agreeing with her or you because you're always wrong and she's-"

"She's your best friend, lover, only person you want to talk to or about?" Jake sasses.
"That pretty much sums it up, yeah" Elias nods with a proud smirk like he wants everyone to think of me and him like that. Jake shakes his head before beginning to walk off.
"Where are you going?" I shout and he turns back for a split second. "lunch" he keeps walking backward as I see from the corner of my eye, Elias turn to face me.

"Be selfish" he mouths before walking forwards again. Be selfish. "Moore" I blink, tilting my head back to look at Elias. "I don't know why you've been avoiding me but I'm done with that bullshit. If you are scared or upset or angry at me then tell me, communicate with me please" be selfish.
"I know you're probably going to tell that you weren't running and that your fine. But I'm not. I'm not fine when I can't see you and make sure you're okay, I'm not fine when you don't answer my calls or even read my texts-" he rambles on as I watch him, my eyes darting from his hands that wave around, to his mouth that I'm tempted to cover with mine.

After a minute of listening to him, he stutters to a stop as he realises i'm smiling and holding his hands. "What-"
"I'm sorry for ghosting you, I shouldn't of done that once never mind twice but that's what I do. I ruin things" taking a breath I don't look away from his eyes. "I'm a bad person newbie and if you let me I'll probably break your heart and my own in the end" I'm not sure what I think he'll do after my words have been said but I needed to warn him of what's he's getting himself into. If he ran I wouldn't blame him, hell I'd run away from me too.

"You can break my heart as many times as you'd like, as long as you come back and deal with it in my arms" the little voice in the back of my head goes wild, repeating every reason why I don't deserve him but for once. Just this once I block it out and I give in to him. My hands reach out to clutch his t-shirt in two fists so I can drag him closer. His feet move without hesitation until my chin rests against his chest.

"You'll regret this" I warn him.
"No I won't" god I hope he doesn't.
"So we are really doing this? Me and you, no running" his hand cups my jaw while his thumb caresses my cheek. "Yes we are" he smiles a lip splitting smile that I copy as he leans down to rest his forehead against mine.

"Finally" we haven't put a label on it, I'm not his girlfriend and he's not my boyfriend but it's something. It's a start. "So will you come to my game tonight?" It's an away game so I wasn't planning on going but now, now I'm tempted.
"Maybe"
"I'll take you, just say yes" leaning back I wrap my arms around his neck. "Yes, I'll go but right now I need to go meet someone" patting his chest twice, I try to step back but he pulls me straight back against his chest.

"You're leaving me already?" He frowns.
"I'll be back"
"Who are you meeting?"
"A friend" he nods, jaw ticking and i grin, someone's jealous.
"Then you won't mind if I tag along" I should of prepared for this. "That's a bad idea" Luis has just gotten used to me I'm not sure he'd enjoy being around a big, intimidating football star.

"Why?" He raises an eyebrow.
"Because you can't be with me twenty four/seven newbie" I raise an eyebrow back because he can't argue with that. "Maybe not but I can be with you right now so let's go meet your friend" I need to think of a solution to this problem and quickly. "Fine you can come with me" he smirks, grabbing my hand so he can lead us back inside.
"If you give me a piggy back ride all the way there" I grin knowing it's a ridiculous suggestion that he won't go for because of how embarrassing it would be for the entire school to see the star quarter back carrying around some girl.

"Deal" he quickly agrees and my face instantly drops. "What?"
"I said deal, get on my back Moore" he crouches in front of me and I just stare dumbfounded.
"You were supposed to say no" i mutter bemused.
"You really thought that would work?" Nodding like an idiot i watch him glance over his shoulder.
"Yes I did so I'm not getting on your back" I brush past him and begin the walk toward the school doors until my hand is grasped and I'm stuck in my spot as Elias refuses to move.

"Come on newbie I don't have time for this" i tug his hand, and then again harder and a third time until I huff. "Stop being stubborn" i cross my arms but he's still got ahold of one of my hands so it doesn't work properly and puts me in an awkward position.

"A deal is a deal, get on my back"
"No. If you haven't noticed I prefer to stay out of the spotlight and being on your back is like telling the whole world 'hey look at me' " Elias sighs, closing the space between us to whisper.
"Let them look, you belong in the spotlight not the shadows. Besides if anyone looks for too long I'll tell them to fuck off" a small smile curves my lips. "Oh what a gentleman you are, telling everyone to fuck off for me" I fake swoon.

"If you like that, you'll love me punching their lights out for not taking the hint" he'd never do that however he does make me feel more comfortable about this. "Fine you can carry me across the field but that's it" I'm definitely going to regret this although it's hard to imagine why when Elias seems so pleased as he crouches down again and I jump onto his back.

His arms secure the backs of my thighs to him as I hold on tightly around his neck. We walk past groups of every kind and each stare at us like they are seeing a pair of humans together for the first time, until Elias' glare finds them and they look away so fast they might have whiplash.
I shouldn't of found it as funny as I did but their faces were honestly hilarious.

When newbie started to run with me still attached to his back, it caught me off guard and my humoured smile fell off to be replaced with small squeal as I clung even tighter to him.
"Don't drop me" I plead into his ear.
"never" he promises just before we reach the school doors and I slide off his back.

"Admit it, that was fun" rolling my lips into my mouth, I fight a smile. "It was a little fun" i close my pointer finger and thumb together until there's only the slightest gap between them.
"I don't believe you" rolling my eyes I walk toward the door but pause as he holds it open for me. "Thank you" I utter before walking under his arm, heading for the spot I know Luis will be at.
Elias slips intertwines our hands as we walk and I let him, the feeling of his hand in my mine is comforting. I feel safe by his side.

"Luis doesn't like to talk much so don't be offended if he doesn't say anything to you" I inform Elias, who nods in understanding, before I push open the door that reveals the curly haired boy.

"Hey Lu" my greeting catches his attention but the presence of the footballer by my side causes his face to sour. "This is Elias, Elias this is Luis" i gesture from each boy to the other as they both stare at one another, like I'm not even here.
"Is he your boyfriend?" Finally Luis looks at me.
"Uhh" i glance up at the boy in question who squeezes my hand in comfort, "it's complicated"
Elias isn't upset by my answer, it's like he already expected it, which he should as it's the truth but for some odd reason it feels wrong.

"I figured you should meet one of my friends first, instead of them all at once" his eyes widen and eyebrows shoot up to his hairline as he takes in my words. "Don't look at me like that, you don't have to hang out with them all the time but you're going to cross paths with them eventually so why not get introductions over with" Luis stares at me for a silent beat before nodding his head. "Fine" he mutters and I grin.

"Here" I pass him an AirPod since we can't talk about what I wanted to with Elias here.
"Crap. Do you have AirPods?" I turn to newbie who fishes around his pocket before revealing a white case. "You can use your own and I'll just play the same song for you okay?" He nods, a soft smile making my stomach turn.

While Luis picks a song from my phone I go to sit down but before I can't touch the floor I'm pulled back, onto newbies lap. "What are you doing?"
"Getting comfortable" he adjusts me so my back is to his front, my head is leaning against his shoulder and his arms cross over my chest.
"You're lucky your comfortable" i mumble, while tucking myself closer to him for some warmth.

"I am very lucky" he whispers to himself almost.
"You two are gross" Luis complains with a disgusted face, interrupting our sweet moment as my eyes move from my human pillow to him.
"You're not allowed to complain until you find a friend of your own. Until then you'll have to deal with all of our grossness" a grimace as harsh as winters chill is shot my way.

"I don't need friends"
"Then you get us instead" he rolls his eyes at my smirk but doesn't oppose the idea as we spend the rest of lunch listening to music until the bell rings and Elias walks me to class.

----------

"Elias wants me to go with him to his game" i share with the twins. "Are you going to go?" Ava questions and i shrug. "There's not enough time to make dinner and be ready to go"
"Mac and cheese doesn't take long especially with our help" Gracie rolls her sleeves up to her elbows and smiles. "Come on chef tell us what to do" she encourages with a nudge of her elbow as her twin gets up from her chair and joins my other side.

"Yeah chef we are on a time limit here, get a move on" Ava smiles and i grin back.
"Alright then Gracie you start grating some cheese and Ava can you get the macaroni" and so we work together to get the food in the oven within ten minutes.

"He's here!" Gracie squeals as she peaks through the curtains. "I've set a timer on your phone you just need to take it out and leave it to cool. Oh and remember to use oven gloves" I instruct Ava as she pushes me toward the door.
"Yes I know" she rolls her eyes, shoving my phone and keys into my chest.

"Go and be a teenager for once, you're starting to sound like a grandma" rolling my eyes I press a quick kiss to her temple and her sister leans in for one too before I turn to the door as two raps hit the hard wood. "There's enough for you two and three more people in that dish so Luis might be coming over to grab some for him and his siblings" Gracie reaches behind me to pull the front door open as Ava says,

"We will have it ready for him, I promise" relieved to hear her assurance I finally turn to the boy waiting patiently in my doorway.
"Hey girls" he waves at my twins before setting his sights on me. "Ready to go Moore?"
"Yeah I'm ready" he wraps an arm around my waist and leads me to his car, opening my door like a true gentleman. Before we drive off i glance back to my girls who have opposite expressions. Gracie is waving excitedly through the window while Ava rolls her eyes at said sister.

"Are you ready to see me kick these guys' asses?" Confident much. "I'm more ready to see them do that to you" I tease and he reaches over to squeeze my thigh. "Then you're gonna need something else to satisfy you because that's not going to happen, baby" baby. Fuck, why does that sound so good coming from his lips?
"And what else do you think can satisfy me?" I brush my hand over his and he squeezes my skin even tighter as he glances between me and the road ahead.

"Fucking hell woman how am I supposed to just ignore that sexy look and those suggestive eyes?" He groans looking up as if god might give him an answer to his problems. "Who said you have to ignore it?" I bat my eyelashes, knowing exactly what I'm doing as I've done it before.
"You're being cruel now I can't-" his eyes move to my lips as he struggles to finish his sentence.
"No! No I can't stop" he yells at himself as a laugh bubbles out of my chest.

"I'm only joking just focus on driving before you kill us both" I point forwards but he continues to look at me. "Oh no you don't, after I win this game, dedicate a touchdown to you and show everyone why you're wearing my number on your back then we can finish this" my head spins as I feel a warmth grow in the pit of my stomach. Holy shit that shouldn't of been as attractive as it was. "That's a lot to promise"
"What can I say Moore, you're a lot of motivation" his trade mark smirk appears again as I turn up the radio and turn too look out of the window, hoping my blazing cheeks will cool down before he notices them.

-----------

Not one touchdown, not two touchdowns but four touchdowns Elias scores in the game and after each one he points to me in the crowd and taps his temple twice, mr bond to my Mrs bond, and then he hits his chest right on top of where his heart lays. Mal and Kim shook me like crazy, squealing so loudly I'm sure I've gone half death.
But even with two ringing ears, bright red cheeks and a somersaulting stomach I couldn't take my eyes off of him.

Having him come over after the game and lift me over the metal fence separating the crowd from the field, so he could hug me close to him and whisper, "I've never seen you in red before but I can say it defiantly suits you" did not help me to calm down and his finger brushing over my beating cheeks only made me worse.

"Don't get used to it, I've been feeling under the weather since the game started it must be a cold bringing on my blush" instead of arguing he gives me a breath taking smile that hooks me in and makes me forget about the girls stood only a few feet away. "Guys smile at me for a picture!" Kim yells at us, successfully breaking whatever trance his eyes put me in.
"I'll pretend to believe you if you smile for a picture with me" I pretend to think for a second before nodding. "Deal newbie"

So we pose and smile in every way that Kim instructs us before I've had enough and turn my back to the camera. "She's going to fill her whole storage with only us two" i mutter, leaning my forehead against his chest as his hands come up to massage my sides.

"Let me get changed and then we can get out of here" Elias ducks down to kiss my temple before jogging back to the changing rooms while I move back to my friends. "Somethings changed between you two" Mal muses as I stop before her and Kim who is still scrolling through photos of me and Elias as she decides which is worthy of sending to me.

"No it hasn't" I defend and she raises an eyebrow.
"Fine you keep him as your dirty little secret and we'll pretend like we don't see what's going on" shaking my head I look away from her. He's not my dirty little secret, that's a horrible way to treat someone. I just need time to adjust to having someone like him in my life.

"This is the one!" Kim jumps in excitement as she shows me a photo of me and Elias, he's watching me with what I could mistake to be admiration as I laugh my ugly laugh. "You've got to post that" Mal gawks at the screen while Kim nods enthusiastically.

Remind not to let them take any more pictures of me and him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.9K 795 43
"Sometimes love is not enough." With a complicated relationship with her mother, a loud household, an unrequited love and a scholarship to get, Ir...
62 6 9
Max is struggling, plain and simple. After dropping out of school two years ago to help his mom with the bills and losing his best friend, he's just...
50.4K 1.5K 31
After enduring years of abuse, Ali finally had enough. She packed everything she could and left her ex to start a new life with her four-year-old son...
624 3 50
Between her alcoholic mother, depressed father, and traumatized little sister, Wren's life is falling apart, but her friends are there for her to hel...