Bittersweet • Aemond Targaryen

By violet_express

Elaena Velaryon never knew exactly where she fit. With the likeness of her Dornish mother and barely any res... More

• Introduction •
• Cast •
• Playlist •
I • The Girl
II • The Tragedy
III • The Favored
IV • The Beginning
V • The Funeral
VI • The Boy
VIII • The In
IX • The Pursuit
X • The Dragonpit
XI • The Woman in the Portrait
XII • The Lady
XIII • The Letter
XIV • The Return
XV • The Wedding

VII • The Fight

342 21 53
By violet_express

Elaena's eyes widened at him as her cousins turned to look at her.

Rhaena's eyes sharpened at Elaena, and Baela scowled back at Aemond. Jace furrowed his eyebrows in confusion, and Luke looked about in building fear.

"Aemond..." Elaena mumbled softly, formalities escaping her, "What did you do?"

Aemond's smirk did not leave, even as Elaena's cousins glared at him in outrage.

He shrugged and simply said, "What we discussed. Are you ready?"

Elaena gawked at him. Did he not understand how incredible this was? How impossible it was, or she supposed, should have been?!

"You... You..." She couldn't get a sentence out in her shock. His smirk remained at the sight of her awe.

He claimed Vhagar. The oldest, largest dragon in the world. And now he was trying to make due on the promise he'd made her. Her heart nearly exploded in the way her thoughts did.

But her cousins were not as elated. Rhaena looked between the two of them, appalled. Baela squinted at Aemond as his words settled on her.

What we discussed... Did Elaena have a hand in this?

"Vhagar is my mother's dragon!" Baela spat at Aemond.

"Your mother's dead," He replied to the bitter girl, still gazing at Elaena. His tone was far more stoic than when directed at her, and then he trailed his gaze to Baela nonchalantly, "And Vhagar has a new rider now."

"She was mine to claim!" Rhaena growled, her wide eyes building with tears. Elaena's heart started to race as the tension in the air escalated.

She felt a pinch of hurt from Aemond's words, even though they were not meant for her. He sounded so careless, nothing like the boy from the patio.

And yet she couldn't help but be nervous for him. Baela and Rhaena were inching towards him threateningly, and Jace watched in wait.

Oh gods...

"Then you should have claimed her!" Aemond shot back, not cowering from their approach, "Maybe your cousins can find you a pig to ride."

Elaena's heart stopped at the sight of the arrogant gleam in his eye. His smirk was mocking as he tilted his head.

"It would suit you." He added, eyeing Rhaena and shrugging to her. That was all it took. The girl leapt at him, growling in rage as she grabbed him.

All too quickly and carelessly, he pushed her away, sending her to the ground with a whimper. Elaena's eyes lips parted and her heart stuttered as she watched her cousin cry.

Baela didn't hesitate to throw her fist into Aemond's face, taking advantage of his attention on Rhaena. The prince cried out from the blow, falling back. Elaena stepped forward, her throat tightening and keeping her from yelling at them to stop.

Almost as quickly as he was knocked down, Aemond shot back up, crying out in fury as he threw his fist at Baela. She fell to the ground, eyes wide in shock as she held her face. Aemond seethed down to her.

"Come at me again and I'll feed you to my dragon!" He hissed, and she cowered away. Elaena looked on in horror, the lantern shaking in her grasp.

Jace grunted in anger, lunging at Aemond with swift fists. The silver prince took a few of the boy's unrelenting blows, stumbling back before finding his footing and dodging the next. Jace continued at him, but Aemond reeled back and kicked into his chest.

Elaena winced harshly as he was knocked to the ground. Her eyes met Baela's, and she saw that her cousin was expecting her to move.

She just couldn't. She quite literally didn't know what to do.

To make matters worse, little Lucerys screamed out and jumped on Aemond next. Incidentally, he leapt right into the silver prince's hands, grasping at his doublet before Aemond landed a harsh blow to his face.

"No!" Elaena found her voice as Luke was knocked down. Tears flooded her eyes as the little boy groaned in pain, and she met Aemond's gaze in shock.

For a moment, she could see hesitation in his eye, as though his violent urges seized and he truly saw her.

But then Jace leapt from the ground, fueled by protectiveness of his brother, and shoved into Aemond's chest. His strength knocked the silver prince to the ground, and Elaena's cousins sprung up at the opportunity. She felt her blood run cold.

Together, they beat against Aemond, kicking and shoving him further into the ground as she and Luke watched on. Blood erupted from all of their faces, and she could barely make out Aemond in the uproar.

"Stop it!" She yelled, her voice falling on deaf ears as they continued their assault. She could see Aemond writhing on the ground, trying to block their blows, "Stop it!"

Baela heard her then, turning for a moment to look at her in ridicule. The moment was all Aemond needed.

He used the space to knock Baela back, then he kicked his feet into Jace, sending him flying a few paces. Rhaena tried at him, but Aemond tossed her aside, sending her into Baela.

At the sight of his success, Luke leapt from the ground, mouth dripping with blood and teeth bared in rage far too powerful for a boy his age. Elaena felt her tears slip past her eyes, her legs still frozen in place.

Aemond caught the boy by his throat, reaching behind himself to grab a rock wedged in the basement sand.

Rhaena pulled Baela up from the ground, the girls staring at the silver prince in terror. Jace turned on his side to face the scene as Aemond stood with the rock in his grasp, raising it to Luke.

"Aemond!" Elaena screeched, and Aemond's hand stiffened slightly around the rock. He did not lower it as he seethed at Lucerys. This was not the boy she engaged with. He was on a high, and she was too scared, too overwhelmed to stop him.

She didn't want to hurt him.

"You will die screaming in flames just as your father did!" He hissed, his lips pulled back over his teeth. Aemond eyed the struggling boy in his chokehold before his gaze flickered to Jace's rising form, "Bastards."

Elaena felt her heart sink from his disgusted delivery of the word. She had encountered it a few times in her life, and it was always directed hypothetically towards her mother.

To hear Aemond bellow it so hatefully... She did not know what to think.

"My father's still alive!" Lucerys cried out, panting for air as Aemond held him. His little voice ripped Elaena from her thoughts, and she watched Aemond smirk snidely at Jace.

"He doesn't know, does he?" Aemond chuckled darkly, looking Jace up and down, "Lord Strong."

Elaena's eyebrows furrowed in confusion before Jace ripped his dagger from under his clothes. Elaena's body sparked to life. Fear shot through her heart, and before she could think, her stiff legs carried her back up the basement stairs.

Her heart pounded in her chest as she scampered to take the stone steps two at a time, praying she wouldn't fall to them. When she made it to the top, still hearing the fight ensue below, she thrust the door open and peered down the hall.

She saw the repositioned guards looking about in confusion, and when she saw the Commander of the Kingsguard, she knew they had been looking for her and her cousins.

"Help!" She screamed, catching the men's attention immediately, "Please, please! Hurry! The princes!"

She didn't wait for a response before she turned and descended the stairs again. She could hear the metal clambering of the guards' approach, but the ruckus in the basement had silenced.

Her heart pounded in her ears, and she heard the guards calling for her but she didn't register their words.

Right before she hit the final step, she heard a bloodcurdling scream.

Elaena turned to see Aemond fall to the ground, his face out of sight as the scream rippled from him. Lucerys gripped Jace's knife firmly before tossing it aside and staring down at the groaning prince. Baela and Rhaena hugged one another, eyes wide in shock.

Elaena watched on as Aemond held his face, and her stomach turned at the immense blood spilling down his cheek.

The Commander leapt from the stairs, yelling out sternly for her and the others to move as he rushed to Aemond.

"My prince," His tone dropped to a softer one, reaching for Aemond. Elaena could not see the boy with the Commander's armor in the way, but she saw his legs turn over, "My prince, let me see..."

It was silent, and Elaena felt her breaths stagger in her chest. She was shaking so hard, the light from the lantern in her hand danced against the basement walls.

When the Commander spoke again, viewing the damage done to the prince, Elaena silently wished she had stayed in bed.

"Gods be good..."

• • •

The flock of them were dragged into the Driftwood throne room, just beside the King's guest house. A maester was called in, along with his ward and a number of maids Elaena could not think to count.

The Commander carried in Aemond, who had not released his face since they emerged from the basement. Elaena still shook with tears, fiddling frantically with her fingers and struggling to see past the towering bodies around her.

The royal family emerged from their guest house as Aemond was sat by Corlys's fireplace. For a moment, Elaena could see his face before more bodies obstructed her view. A sharp gasp echoed from her lips at the sight of his gory state.

Lucerys had sliced through the left side of his face, right through his eye.

When the Queen burst into the room, Elaena jumped from the sound of the doors. She watched as Alicent's eyes wandered before settling on her groaning son. Her brown doe eyes widened, and Elaena's heart stopped again as the Queen let out the most shallow breath. Her slender form nearly flew across the room to her son.

Ser Criston's figure came right after, and his jaw clenched at the sight before him. Elaena saw his eyes flicker to Rhaenyra's sons, who stood on the other side of the room in one another's arms.

A thousand orders were made, and the bodies flooding the room swept around in haste. But Elaena could only focus on the unnerved Queen, desperately holding her son as he cried against her.

"What happened?!" She screamed repeatedly as the maester completed his station and stood before the prince to begin. Alicent almost predatorily snarled at the man, holding on to Aemond and not letting up.

Elaena cried silently, seeing Aegon and Helaena still standing at the door, shock written over their faces at their hysterical mother and brutalized brother. Then the King trudged inside, and Elaena's blood ran cold.

If they weren't in trouble before, they were definitely in it now.

The King's expression was deeply confused, looking between Aemond and Rhaenyra's sons, who couldn't see the damage done to Aemond from their side but looked on with worried eyes.

"What in the Seven Hells has happened?" Viserys heaved out, his form shaking slightly over his cane. He grimaced at the sight of the maester trying to reach for Aemond. Alicent would not back down from him, looking around the room threateningly.

"Your Grace," The Commander started gravely, "An incident has occurred."

"No shit!" Viserys sneered, and Elaena flinched, swallowing down the building dryness in her throat. She looked back to Aemond, and watched him pant against his mother, trying not to let his face brush against her clothes.

Alicent made certain not to allow the contact either, only desperate to hold him as close as possible.

"My Queen," The maester called gently, and the Queen snapped her teary eyes at him, "We must begin the procedure, he is losing blood."

It was a question for Alicent to step back, and Elaena saw as her body shook with crazed tears. She didn't want to move an inch.

"Alicent," Viserys called, "Let him work, darling, please!"

The Queen gritted her teeth before settling on her knees beside Aemond. This allowed the maester his space, but Elaena's heart swelled at the woman's refusal to move any further. She watched the maester like a hawk, eyes flickering over the slightest of his movements.

"What is to be done?" She asked tightly. The maester gave Aemond milk of the poppy.

"I must inspect the eye, your Grace," He replied softly, moving in calm precision, "Remove it if need be."

Alicent looked nauseated, grabbing Aemond's hand and swaying in stress.

And so began the screaming. Elaena felt her insides turn as Aemond's cries broke through the room. She couldn't see what was being done, but she saw Alicent hold her son, her lips moving around words Elaena could not hear.

Her eyes drifted to her cousins across the room. Jace and Luke looked on widely, and Luke hid his face in brother's chest. Their faces were smeared with blood, as were Baela and Rhaena's.

The girls looked on dully, not seeming as bothered as the young princes. Elaena's eye twitched as she looked at them.

The doors burst open again, and she jumped to see her father stalking into the room. Vaemond's eyebrows furrowed and his violet eyes widened at the screams echoing about.

His lips parted at the sight of Prince Aemond seated in his brother's chair by the fireplace.

Then, he scanned the room, seeing Baela and Rhaena looking on numbly whilst Rhaenyra's sons cowered in fear. He felt his heart stop, but then he finally locked eyes with Elaena.

Her shaking had not seized, and she watched him approach in nervous tension. She nearly stepped back when he neared her, but she felt his hands grasp her arms firmly. He knelt to her, and she shook his in hands.

"Tala." His voice was low and focused while she struggled to utter a word. The screaming continued, but Vaemond kept his gaze on her. He noted she hadn't a drop of blood on herself, "What has happened-Elaena, breathe."

She parted her lips, desperately trying to obey him but feeling the air get trapped in her throat. Her chest stuttered and heaved as shock ran through her. She had never seen so much blood in her life, nor had she heard such agonized screams.

"Hush, child," Vaemond whispered, cupping her jaw in a much more tender way than he did in her bedchamber, "Lykirī, tala, lykirī."

This strange disposition threw Elaena off long enough to distract her from her nerves. She breathed in through her nose and let out through her mouth. He nodded to her as she settled down, though she still shook in his grasp.

"Ivestragon nyke." He said once she could breathe evenly, "Skoros massitas?"
(Tell me. What happened?)

Aemond's screams melted into low groans from the maester's actions as Elaena whispered to her father in High Valyrian. Vaemond's gaze shifted between serious, shocked, and appalled. Elaena could feel saddened tears slip from her eyes as she regaled the incident, and she mentally prayed her father would not punish her for her actions.

She should have never helped her cousins.

But Vaemond only looked over her face thoughtfully, not a trace of malice or disappointment in his features.

And then he looked to the wheezing prince in his brother's chair, squinting before standing from his crouched position. He kept his hand over Elaena's shoulder, and the two of them watched the scene before them.

Aegon and Helaena slowly approached their mother's position next to Aemond. Viserys shook his head as he watched the maester work over his son. Elaena could see the mental toll it had taken on the King.

He glared towards the Commander.

"How could you allow such a thing to happen?" He said, and the Commander sighed, "I will have answers."

"The princes were supposed to be abed, my King." The Commander sighed, eyeing Jace and Luke. Elaena watched as Alicent looked after Aemond numbly, and the girl wished she could see past the maester. She could only hear Aemond's subtle whimpers.

"Who had the watch?" Viserys demanded.

"The young prince was attacked by his own cousins, your Grace." Ser Criston said, and even as she focused heavily in Aemond's direction, she could hear accusation in Cole's voice.

He wanted Rhaenyra's sons to share the blame, but Viserys was not having it.

"You swore oaths to protect and defend my blood!" He growled between the Commander and Cole.

"I'm very sorry, your Grace." The Commander said.

"The Kingsguard has never had to defend princes from princes, your Grace." Cole replied blankly.

"That is no answer!" The King cried and Cole kept his gaze before looking to the Queen. She watched her son with sparkling eyes. Elaena thought she looked like a little girl.

"It will heal," Alicent's voice low and shaking, "Will it not, maester?"

She looked to the maester desperately, and Elaena heard the man sigh.

"The flesh will heal," He started, and everyone held their breath, "But the eye is lost, your Grace."

Alicent peeled away from Aemond for the first time, her mouth parted in an appalled expression. She rose to her feet, and Elaena couldn't see her face with her back turned.

But she knew she was glaring at Aegon.

"Where were you?" She panted in rising anger. Elaena watched as Aegon looked at his mother in apprehension.

"Me?" He asked in confusion. Smack.

Elaena flinched into her father, and Vaemond pursed his lips at the eldest prince.

"Ow!" Aegon groaned, rubbing his face, "What was that for?!" Alicent leaned into Aegon's face, pushing her finger into his chest.

"That was nothing compared to the abuse your brother suffered while you were drowning in your cups, you fool!" She hissed, pushing at Aegon in rage. He kept his mouth shut, and Elaena shivered at Alicent's fury. I wouldn't say anything either.

Just then, the maester stepped aside, and Aemond's face was on full display. Elaena felt her knees buckle, and she gripped her father's doublet to remain upright.

The left side of his face was covered in a curved line of stitches, and blood covered his features farther than any of her cousins.

His left eye was sewn shut, and his right eye looked to the ground. His silver hair was tousled and smeared with blood, and his body slumped against his seat.

His breaths were shallow, and Elaena wished she could give him some of hers.

The doors to the stairs of the throne room opened, and Corlys slid through them. Rhaenys was right on his tail, her legs speeding down the steps at the sight of the large gathering.

Elaena's mind sparked at the sight of her, having not considered Rhaenys in the midst of her worry for the young prince.

"Baela, Rhaena!" Her voice was a sharp whisper of shock, "What happened?" She got to the end of the stairs and the twins leapt into her arms.

Corlys looked about the scene, deeply confused at the sight of his battered grandsons. Jace and Luke looked back at him, and he approached them as his eyebrows furrowed. He scanned the room before his gaze landed on Vaemond and Elaena. He sighed at the sight of his niece, still clinging to his brother.

Rhaenys hugged and kissed her granddaughters gently in fear of hurting them. Then she realized Elaena was not next to them, and she looked about the room in fear. When she saw Elaena standing with Vaemond, her lips parted.

Elaena locked eyes with her godmother, and Rhaenys looked on in concern. She nodded to Elaena questioningly, and Elaena mustered the hint of a smile as she nodded back. She was okay.

The front doors of the room opened finally, and Princess Rhaenyra entered with wandering eyes.

"Jace?" Her voice was low, worried. But she quickly found her boys and sped over to them, "Luke!"

Elaena clenched her teeth as Rhaenyra looked over her sons, and her gaze flickered to the door she entered from to see Daemon walk in behind her. He leant again the wall, and watched the scene unfold.

"Who did this?" Rhaenyra asked aloud, turning over her shoulder to find the one responsible for her children's state.

"They attacked me!" Elaena heard Aemond as he leant over to peer behind his chair. She heard a few low gasps around the room as everyone got a look at his face.

"He attacked Baela!" Jace yelled back, and the adults of the room looked amongst one another in confusion. Elaena's cousins continued to bark out explanations, their voices overlapping with not one coherent answer being given to the people of the room.

Her heart stuttered as she watched Aemond slump back into his chair, a grimace on his face. Was he in pain? Did the poppy milk settle in yet?

His one eye looked up as he sighed from the sounds of the loud chatter, and he met Elaena's worried gaze. They looked at one another for a long moment, chaos reigning around them as the King tried to command the room.

Alicent grasped Aemond's hand, "It should be my son telling the tale!"

"He called us—"

"Silence!" King Viserys cut off Jace's words with a slam of his cane to the floor. The room finally fell quiet, and everyone looked to the King in worry.

Aemond lowered his gaze from Elaena, and she felt another tear slip her eye. Vaemond stepped forward, leaning toward the King.

"Your Grace," He said, catching a threatening expression from Viserys but continuing to speak calmly, "My daughter was there. She witnessed the unfolding of the incident and alerted the guards before the end of the fight."

Elaena looked to her father in silent betrayal. Her heart stopped and started rapidly again as the King turned to her. She fiddled with her fingers, feeling all eyes of the room trail to her.

She saw Baela whisper something to Rhaena, and the sweet girl shook her head to Baela before replying. She looked back to Elaena sympathetically while Baela pouted towards her. Rhaenys missed the quick exchange, too intent to focus on Elaena.

Alicent's face softened and her lips parted. She moved from Aemond's chair and stole Elaena's attention from her approach. The Queen knelt down just before Elaena, raising her hands in welcome.

"Come here, my darling," She said softly, "Tell me what happened."

Elaena's eyes widened at the woman, feeling her throat close up as she shook slightly from all the attention. She swallowed and Viserys stepped closer as well.

She felt as though they were all about to pounce on her.

"Be honest, child," The King set his cane to the ground, "It is a crime to lie to your King."

Elaena looked around nervously, still not taking the Queen's hands. Her gaze latched on to Rhaenys, eyes wide in fear. Her godmother bit into her tongue, looking to her cousin the King and refraining to tell him not to unnerve Elaena.

"It's alright, my dear," Alicent assured gently, though her eyes were wide from seeing how nervously the girl shook, "Try to remember."

When Elaena still did not step up, Vaemond gingerly pushed her forward. She winced, feeling the command in his touch. She did not have to see his face to know he was losing patience with her. So she grasped the Queen's soft hands.

Alicent rubbed circles on the back of her thin hands, and Elaena felt grounded by the touch. Her lilac eyes peered up, meeting the waiting eyes of Jace and Luke. She bit her lip as she trailed her gaze to Baela and Rhaena. Rhaena nodded subtly to her, encouraging her to speak.

But Elaena felt her heart pinch as she looked to Aemond. He looked back with his wide eye for a moment before he sighed. His expression became soft, just as it was when they spoke to each other on the patio.

She felt her lips part as he gave her a halfhearted smile, letting it fade quickly from how it unnerved his swollen face.

Elaena blinked at the acceptance she registered in his expression... And something clicked in her mind. She couldn't explain it, but bitterness laid heavily over her heart as she took in his defeated, battered face.

No... no.

Elaena met Alicent's patient eyes, and the Queen felt her blood boil at the girl's expression. Whatever she was about to say would not be good. She held her breath as Elaena began.

"Baela and Rhaena woke me up crazed," Her tone was thick from her cries, but she was surprised to hear how even it was. She swallowed, "The princes were with them, and they needed help getting out of the castle. They said someone had stolen Vhagar."

She felt more tears brew in her eyes out of guilt. Why, why did she help them? How could she be so stupid?

"Prince Jacaerys brought a knife to protect us, and I led them down to the basement to exit out the back of the castle... We came down to find Prince Aemond..." She paused to collect her thoughts, and everyone leaned in to listen to her.

She locked eyes with Rhaena again, and she found her scowling towards Aemond from behind. Elaena looked at Baela to see her cousin nod at her to continue.

She looked at Aemond to see his gaze on the floor as he listened. His expression was still in that accepting look.

Elaena gritted her teeth, "Baela and Rhaena confronted him about taking Vhagar, and..." She thought over the moment, feeling her heart lurch before saying, "And then they attacked him."

Jace, Luke, Baela, and Rhaena all paused in their steady attention before slowly furrowing their eyebrows. They looked amongst one another in confusion.

Aemond kept his gaze to the ground before Elaena's words settled on him. Then, he too furrowed his eyebrows, and his eye flickered up to look at her.

Elaena continued, "Prince Aemond fought back, and then Jace and Luke attacked him as well... He fought them all off..." She trailed off, swallowing as she thought over Aemond's words to the princes before picturing Jace unearthing his blade, "And then Jace brought out the knife."

"That's not true!" Jace shouted at her, and she looked away from Aemond to meet Jace's incredulous eyes. She swallowed again, feeling heat crawl over her skin as she clenched her teeth.

"What?!" Baela exclaimed in disbelief, "No! No, that's a lie!"

Rhaenys looked between her granddaughter and goddaughter in confusion. Elaena looked on blankly, seeming secure in her words even though she was breaking on the inside. Rhaenys looked at her with furrowed eyebrows, seeing the familiar way her eyes glistened when she hid something.

Elaena tore her gaze from the princess to look at the Queen. Alicent's expression carried a snidely humorous edge to it, as though she expected the actions Elaena spoke of.

Her cousins continued to refute her story, and Viserys sighed before slamming his cane down again. The children went silent from his harsh eyes. Alicent rubbed at Elaena's arms, nodding for her to continue. So she did.

"I went to get the guards and when I returned..." Her chest tightened at the fresh memory of Aemond's scream. Alicent felt her own chest tighten at the sight of Elaena's fear, "Prince Aemond, he was... h-he was s-screaming, he was screaming—"

Her voice broke from her new wave of shakes. Tears leapt from her eyes as she looked at Aemond's face. Alicent squeezed at her arms comfortingly, rubbing at them to calm the girl and whispering words of praise.

"That's alright, sweetling," She said softly, and reaching to rub Elaena's back as the girl dropped her head, "That's alright."

Alicent turned to look over her shoulder at Rhaenyra, fierce anger building in her eyes. Viserys looked between the two women and sighed to himself. He approached his scarred son, his cane echoing through the hall.

"Aemond," He called, but Aemond kept his interested gaze on Elaena, "I will have the truth of what happened."

Elaena looked up to lock eyes with Aemond as worry built in her chest. His expression was strange, but Elaena felt her heart stutter at the glimmer in his violet eye.

"Now." The King demanded, ripping Aemond's gaze away from the girl. Alicent stood, grasping Elaena's hand. Vaemond eyed the connection and his lips quirked.

"What else is there to hear?" Alicent said in confusion, "Your son has been maimed. Her son is responsible." She gestured toward Princess Rhaenyra, but Viserys kept his gaze on Aemond.

"It was a regrettable accident." Rhaenyra said tightly, holding Luke's hand at her side. Elaena's eyebrows furrowed at the princess's words.

"Accident?" Alicent asked in low ridicule, "Your boys brought a blade to the ambush, they meant to kill my son."

Elaena's heart stuttered at the weakness in Alicent's voice. Her fear was evident. But Rhaenyra was unfazed by it.

"It was my sons who were attacked and forced to defend themselves!" She announced, and everyone listened in, "Vile insults were levied against them."

"What insults?" The King asked, all too interested. Elaena refrained from scoffing. Insults could not compare to Aemond's state. Not at all. And yet, the King seemed on edge.

It was silent for a moment, as though Rhaenyra was anxious to confess what had been spoken. Out of the corner of her eye, Elaena saw Ser Otto appear behind the corner of a wall, similar to how Daemon leaned forward in anticipation.

The girl stiffened as Rhaenyra spoke.

"The legitimacy of my sons' birth was put loudly to question." She said, and the room fell still.

"What?" The King squinted in confusion.

"He called us bastards." Jace said aloud, looking between the King and Rhaenyra. Everyone looked around one another in caution. Elaena watched Aemond's smirk return from the basement.

"My sons are in line to inherit the Iron Throne, your Grace," Rhaenyra said, stepping toward her father, "This is the highest of treasons."

She nodded to him, affirming her words. Viserys blinked, baffled as he turned to look at Elaena. Her heart stopped and her gaze dropped to the floor immediately. She felt Alicent pull at her hand slightly, and her little body followed to stand further behind the Queen.

Vaemond stepped up to stand on Elaena's other side, and he and Alicent eyed the King's confused expression. Aemond clenched his teeth at the sight of his mother and Elaena before Rhaenyra caught his attention.

"Prince Aemond must be sharply questioned so we might learn where he heard such slanders." The princess said, glaring at Aemond as he turned to look behind his chair at her. Elaena's eyes widened.

What more could be done to the prince in his state? Alicent looked at the princess, equally baffled.

"Over an insult?" She asked deeply, her eyes glassy as she stared at Rhaenyra. Her gaze flickered to Aemond and back, "My son has lost an eye."

Rhaenyra stared back at her coldly. She didn't care. Viserys didn't seem too either as he prodded Aemond again.

"The insult was training yard bluster. The lot of boys." Alicent said quickly, shaking her head at Viserys, "It was nothing."

"Aemond." He was not letting up, "I asked you a question."

Aemond looked back up to his father slowly, and Elaena could see the deep hesitance in his eye. Is he scared? Why is he the one scared right now?

Alicent took the boy's silence for her advantage, "Where is Ser Laenor, I wonder? The boys' father? Perhaps he might have something to say in the matter?"

Elaena's ears perked up at the mention of her cousin, and she scanned the room to find him... But he wasn't present, not even behind her. Corlys and Rhaenys stiffened.

"I do not know, your Grace." Rhaenyra replied, her tone much lower than before, "I... could not find sleep, I had gone out to walk."

"Entertaining his young squires, I would venture." Alicent nodded, a pursed smile on her lips. Rhaenyra looked at her with a hard gaze, and Corlys and Rhaenys furrowed their eyebrows at the Queen's words.

Elaena looked up at her in confusion, hearing some underlying meaning but not understanding it. She heard a stiff chuckle, and peered around to see Ser Criston stifling a smirk. The Commander's gaze silenced him. What?

"Aemond," The King called again, the attention of the room shifting back, "Look at me."

Elaena's eyes widened. Did he truly just tell him to... Her baffled thoughts trailed off when Aemond met his father's gaze. Elaena noticed the fire in his violet eye.

"Your King demands an answer." Viserys said, "Who spoke these lies to you?"

Aemond swallowed before his eye drifted forward. Elaena followed his gaze to look up at Alicent.

The Queen stiffened, her lips parting at her son's acknowledgment. Mistakenly, she met Rhaenyra's pointed eyes across the room.

Elaena's heart skipped from the silence of the room, only broken by the crackling of the fire before them. Viserys followed Aemond's gaze to look at Alicent, and she looked back anxiously.

When the King returned his gaze to his son, Aemond gulped and dropped his gaze from his mother.

"It was Aegon." He said lowly.

The eldest prince's eyes widened at Aemond, "Me?"

Viserys shot daggers at his eldest son, turning his body and approaching him.

"And you, boy? Where do you hear such calumnies?" He sneered, missing the exchange of eye connect between Aemond and Alicent. She sighed, clutching Elaena's hand as she drifted her gaze to her husband hawking at her eldest son, "Aegon! Tell me the truth of it!"

Aegon flinched at his father's sharp impatience. Elaena's eyes widened in suspense.

"We know, Father..." He said, slowly turning to meet the King's eyes, "Everyone knows... Just look at them."

Silence fell over the room again, and Elaena looked about in shock. Was it true? Did everyone know about Rhaenyra's sons?

From the looks on everyone's faces, the answer was obvious. Rhaenyra looked at Aegon in teary eyed contempt, rubbing at Luke's little head as he looked up at her in confusion. Rhaenys looked to Corlys knowingly, but Elaena's uncle looked at Aegon in a similar way to Rhaenyra.

Many knew. Many disregarded... Until now.

The King looked at Rhaenyra, then Aemond, then Alicent, then all within the room.

"This interminable infighting must cease!" He groaned, nearly whining in frustration, "All of you!"

His voice echoed throughout the hall, and everyone held their breaths.

"We are a family!" The King cried, and Elaena clenched her teeth. She looked past Alicent's body to look at Baela and Rhaena. They looked back at her blankly in betrayal.

Viserys huffed, looking amongst the children of the room.

"Now make your apologies and show good will to one another." He ordered, and Elaena felt a knife jab into her heart as she looked at Aemond. His gaze lowered from his father.

She looked up to Alicent to see the Queen staring at Viserys in disbelief.

"Your father, your grandsire, your King demands it!" He stomped his cane to the ground, exhausted of the affair and looking amongst his children.

Alicent eyed Aemond's blank expression, and Elaena felt her hold over her hand tighten. Vaemond watched as Alicent's head began to unravel, and he grabbed Elaena's other arm to pull her back.

Elaena looked up at him in confusion as her hand slipped from Alicent's. The Queen barely even noticed their disengagement as she stared after Viserys's trudging form.

"That is insufficient." She stated behind thick tears. The King turned back to her, "Aemond has been damaged permanently, my King, good will cannot make him whole."

Alicent's voice quivered with emotion. Elaena felt her father grasp her shoulders as she stood in front of him, watching on as Viserys sighed in annoyance.

"I know, Alicent," He said, approaching her again, "But I cannot restore his eye."

"No, because it's been taken."

"What would you have me do?" He exasperated, and Alicent stepped to him.

"There is a debt to be paid." She said in her quivering voice. Viserys's expression dropped. Elaena's eyebrows furrowed before Alicent turned to look at Rhaenyra, "I shall have one of her sons' eyes in return."

Aemond's eye widened, and he turned in his seat to look at Rhaenyra's sons. Gasps and mutters fluttered about the room. Elaena looked on in horror of Alicent's conviction. She couldn't handle the sight of anymore blood.

"He is your son, Viserys," Alicent practically begged the King, "Your blood."

Elaena agreed, feeling protected in Alicent's words even if they were not meant for her. She looked to Aemond to see him watching his parents, enthralled. Was this what having a mother was like? Someone to stand sharply, against the spectators in the room, to defend you?

Elaena was in awe, but the King was not. He stood before Alicent, the baritone in his voice speaking to some part of the Queen Elaena could not see.

"Do not allow your temper to guide your judgement." He warned. When he thought she'd heeded him, he turned away again. But she was not finished.

"If the King will not seek justice, the Queen will." She breathed, causing Viserys to turn back to her sharply.

Alicent looked to Elaena, and the girl froze at her dead gaze.

"Which one did it?" She demanded and everyone looked on in suspense. Elaena furrowed her eyebrows and answered out of fear.

"Lucerys." She whispered, remembering the boy tossing the blade aside after Aemond fell.

Alicent looked to her sworn protector, ignoring the King's glare, "Ser Criston."

He stood at attention, and Alicent looked to Lucerys across the room.

"Bring me the eye of Lucerys Velaryon."

Elaena's lips parted, and she looked to the dark little boy in worry. She instinctively stepped forward, but Vaemond pulled her back in warning. Her heart nearly leapt out of her chest when Luke moved behind Rhaenyra, pulling at her arm in fear.

"Mother-" His little voice rang, but Rhaenyra held him firmly behind herself, looking to Alicent daringly. Viserys called for Alicent but she ignored him still.

"He can choose which eye to keep, a privilege he did not grant my son." She announced.

"You will do no such thing." Rhaenyra spoke to Criston, eyes sharp in predatory passion.

"Stay your hand—" Viserys started at Cole, but Alicent cut him off.

"No, you are sworn to me!" She exclaimed, sending the room in silence before Criston clenched his jaw. He sighed, adjusting his footing as he looked between her and the King.

"As your protector, my Queen." His voice was defeated even though Alicent was the one who lost. She sighed bitterly, meeting Viserys's eyes with stained cheeks.

"Alicent, this matter is finished... Do you understand?" He spat at her. She didn't respond, and he merely stepped away to acknowledge the room, "And let it be known, anyone whose tongue dares to question the birth of Princess Rhaenyra's sons... should have it removed."

He sneered at Alicent as he spoke the final punishment, and she sighed hollowly at him. Aemond looked at his father in disgust, but Rhaenyra smiled softly at him. Elaena shrunk from the pressure of the room, half relieved Luke was safe, half appalled Aemond was not justified.

"Thank you, Father." Rhaenyra nodded to the King, sending a look to Alicent's dead gaze before turning to crouch before her sons.

The Queen shut her parted lips, lowering her lethal gaze from her husband, and Elaena thought she had given up then.

So it shocked her when Alicent made for Viserys, reaching into his robes and unearthing a long Valyrian steel dagger. It put Jace's knife to shame, and sent a sharp chill down Elaena's spine. Her eyes widened as the Queen made for Rhaenyra.

"Your Grace!"

"Alicent!"

"Stay with the King!"

"Hold your approach!"

All hells had broken loose in the room, and Elaena barely had time to register what was happening before Vaemond pulled her into his side. She heard terrified screaming, and multiple sounds of struggle behind her, but she was afraid to turn and see what had happened.

"Stay your hand, Cole!" The Commander barked his order, and a bit of quiet settled over the room. Elaena peaked out to see Alicent and Rhaenyra in the middle of a gathered circle.

Alicent held the dagger tightly in her grasp, aiming it at Rhaenyra, who held Alicent back just as firmly.

"You've gone too far!" Rhaenyra spat, shaking Alicent as though to snap her out of her craze. The Queen struggled in her grasp, grunting out.

"I?!" Alicent asked in shock, "What have I done but what was expected of me? Forever upholding the kingdom, the family, the law, while you flout all to do as you please!"

Elaena could not help but be glued to Alicent's shooting words. The pain in her voice, the exhaustion, the anger... She wished to be free. Viserys ordered her to release Rhaenyra, but Alicent did not hear it.

"Where is duty? Where is sacrifice?!" She shouted in exasperation, waving the dagger tauntingly towards the princess. Rhaenyra was still not fazed, "It's trampled under your pretty foot again."

Elaena heard Ser Otto call for Alicent to drop the dagger, but her mind was clouded with the Queen's words.

"And now you take my son's eye," Alicent cried, and Elaena felt tears continue down her own face, "And to even that you feel entitled."

"Exhausting, wasn't it?" Rhaenyra grunted, not batting an eye to the Queen's clear distraught, "Hiding beneath the cloak of your own righteousness..."

Elaena's eyebrows furrowed, confused by the knowing look in Rhaenyra's eye. Something was brewing between the two women that she could not understand.

"But now they see you as you are." She whispered to Alicent, and the Queen recoiled before thrashing the dagger down. Elaena's heart stopped.

Rhaenyra fell back into Corlys, and everyone gazed at the deep cut Alicent inflicted on her forearm. Blood drizzled down the princess's dress sleeve, and the dagger feel out of the Queen's grasp.

Everyone looked about in deep shock, but it was Aemond who got up from his seat and stepped up to his mother carefully. He looked at Rhaenyra in bitterness before gazing at Alicent.

The room settled around his movements.

"Do not mourn me, Mother." He said, and Alicent pulled her simmering attention away from Rhaenyra's cut to look at him, "It was a fair exchange... I may have lost an eye... But I gained a dragon."

Elaena felt a dramatic weight lift off of her shoulders. She stared at the prince, and she felt a strange pull. Everyone appraised him as he stepped into his mother's side, not caring about his ruined cheek touching her. Alicent received him in her dazed state.

Elaena watched as the King retired to his chambers in depression, and then she witnessed Daemon go to stand beside Rhaenyra and her sons. Her eyes widened at the great division between the princess and the Queen.

But her heart dropped when she realized she was not on the same side of it as Rhaenys.

———

Welp, here we go LMAOOOO.

Leave your thoughts in the comments, I've been waiting forever to get to this moment. I apologize for the length, I will try to shorten my chapters from here on out.

I hope you enjoyed it, sweetlings!

As always thank you to AHoleForAemond and purplewriter_x for their unrelenting support! Stop being lame and go read their stories NEOW!

See you in chapter 8 😙

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

75.4K 1.6K 45
COMPLETED | He wasn't looking for anyone in particular; just a body to lay next to him that night. She was a traveler, exploring the city of Munich w...
39.7K 2.4K 42
Nunew, a 21 year old Omega hated his sub-gender. Due to society's rules everything he wanted to do was either hard to reach or simply not allowed. Si...
1.1M 19.3K 44
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
181K 3.4K 58
Oh yeah its happening, how will you cope with meeting and enjoying your life with the turtles? Who will be your turtle? and why does Donnie have eyeb...