The Universe Of Tomorrow

By gunshyboo

In this captivating narrative, our familiar universe has been reshaped into a singular, colossal realm known... More

Disclaimer
the map
tales of Zachery Joseph Knight
Aurora Jones
the shadow stalkers
Thanatos the immortal
TRAFFICKING GONE WRONG
The story of Bob's and Aiko's new beginning in the Cleansed world
White Lion's last story
The Truth Of My Curse
The story of Bob's and Aiko's new beginning in the Cleansed world pt2
The story of Bob's and Aiko's new beginning in the Cleansed world pt3
Zazriel the Unsatisfiable
Viking Legend: Bjorn Ironaxe
The Enhanced Odyssey: Unveiling Powers
Spectral Love
The Labyrinth of Forgotten Souls: A Descent into the Unknown
The Infinite Loop of Corporal David Harris
Chasing Shadows: The Quest for the Shifting Core
Unveiling, Redemption, and Farewell: The Final Odyssey
Shadows Over the City of Tomorrow: Unveiling the Hidden
The Legacy of the Talisman
Scales of Love and Destiny
Scales of Love and Destiny pt.2
The Legacy of the Talisman pt.2
Unseen Ties: The Enigma of Lilith
Tangled Realities : The Enigma of Lilith
destruction of Realities : The Enigma of Lilith
Shadows Over the City of Tomorrow: My Brief Return
Whispers in the City of Mistakes
Ambiguous Embrace: The Toxic Smile Chronicles
Ambiguous Embrace: The Toxic Smile Chronicles pt 2
Aetheria: Realms of the Beyond
Chronicles of the God of Wrath: Judgment Across Worlds
Azure Metamorphosis: The Curse of the Blue Elixir
Emissaries of the Ossuary: A Tale of Twilight Realms
Cycle of the Damned: The Rise of Aterna
The Ultimate Death Match Saga
Chronicles of the Aeternum Legion: The Saga of the Chronos Dreadnought
Whispers of the Deep: the Shifting tides between siblings
Whispers of the Deep: ironclad true nature
Whispers of the Deep: Realities Unraveled
The Walk Between Worlds
the walk between worlds pt.2
the walk between worlds pt.3
The Fixer's Gambit in the City of Tomorrow
Voyage to the Verdant Shadows
Echoes Of Past Minds

Roots of Ruin: The Last Sanctuary

7 6 12
By gunshyboo

life has been a relentless rollercoaster. First, we met a drone who could've helped us, if not for Valeria and Korr's quick trigger fingers. We lost Gron to a plant-dog that exploded, of all things. Then, we encountered Alex, a rather enigmatic guy who told us about a 'core' that keeps moving. 

Last night, though, was something else. Korr disappeared, and when we found her this morning, she was asleep, surrounded by the carcasses of a dozen plant creatures. We inspected the hole where Korr had been, and that's when I noticed: the creatures had lime-green, glowing liquid oozing from their mouths. 

"One of those things bit me," Korr nonchalantly said. "Whatever's in their spit made me a bit tired, but it's nothing I can't handle."

"Are you sure you're alright?" Valeria asked her, looking genuinely concerned.

"As alright as you can be on this godforsaken planet," Korr replied, brushing off the dirt from her armor. "Let's go find that 'Cory thingy,' smash it, and get out of this mess of a city."

Valeria's heart surged with energy, emitting a warm, radiant glow. "Let's find this core then," she declared, leaping into the hole. "I assume these creatures came from it, so if we follow this tunnel, we'll find what we're after."

Korr shrugged and jumped in after her, a look of absolute indifference on her face. I hesitated for a moment, my mind a jumble of worries and what-ifs. But time was of the essence, so I gathered my courage and took the plunge, joining them in the dark, underground passage.

As we trekked deeper, the gadgets Alex had given us began to signal our proximity to the core. Beeps turned to steady pings as we drew closer. But then, something alarming happened. The tunnel started to tremor, and the red dot on our gadgets accelerated its pace toward us at an alarming rate.

"Something's coming, and fast!" I warned, gripping my weapon tighter. 

Valeria and Korr readied themselves, eyes focused and alert. In that narrow, dim tunnel, we braced for whatever was hurtling our way.

The earth-shaking vibration intensified as a colossal plant-based snake surged past us, just missing us by a hair's breadth. Its body seemed endless, a flowing river of vines and leaves intertwined with scales, tunneling through the earth as if it were water.

Korr's eyes lit up with an almost childlike excitement. "Well, that looks like a shortcut!" she exclaimed. Without a moment's hesitation, she leapt into the dark abyss where the snake had disappeared, her joyful yell echoing back at us.

Valeria and I exchanged glances. "Should we...?" I started.

"With Korr, it's always better to follow. We don't want her having all the fun now, do we?" Valeria responded with a smirk.

Taking a deep breath to steel myself, I jumped in after Korr, Valeria following close behind. The descent was like a roller coaster, the walls of the tunnel whizzing by in a dizzying blur. Finally, we landed, somewhat gracefully, next to Korr who was already standing and scouting the area.

"So, this is where that giant plant snake was heading," Korr mused, looking around at the massive underground chamber we found ourselves in. "Looks like we're getting closer to that core thingy."

Our gadgets started beeping frantically, confirming Korr's suspicion. We were indeed closer to the core than ever before, but what dangers lay ahead, we could only guess.

As we continued our exploration, a guttural rumble reverberated through the cavern. Before we knew it, the colossal plant snake lunged at us. In one swift motion, Korr was swallowed whole, her laughter echoing from within the beast. Valeria and I shared a brief, wide-eyed glance before we too were engulfed.

Inside the snake was like being submerged in a living, breathing tunnel. Organic matter pressed against us, propelling us further into its depths. It was suffocating and claustrophobic, yet Korr's laughter somehow still filled the space.

Just when it felt like we'd be part of this creature forever, we were suddenly regurgitated onto flat ground. Korr popped to her feet almost immediately. "Hey, you wanna try that again?" she yelled at the snake, "Open up! I'll even walk in to make it easier!"

Before she could taunt the creature further, the ground trembled as a thunderous voice filled the chamber. "The three who have caused so much trouble. Why do you seek me out?"

We all turned to see a towering hive-like entity occupying half of the cavern. Its labyrinthine structure pulsed as if alive, and the sheer enormity of it was overwhelming.

Valeria whispered, almost to herself, "So, you're the core?"

The hive mind responded, its voice echoing through every fiber of the cavern, "I am the essence you seek, yes. What brings you to the heart of my dominion?"

The atmosphere was tense, and not just because of the life-or-death situation we found ourselves in. We were confronting the source of the chaos, and it seemed aware of its own power.

Korr cocked her shotgun and yelled, "Here to kill you, motherfunker!" Before she even pulled the trigger, a dozen vines shot out from the hive mind and wrapped around her, suspending her in the air. 

Korr chuckled. "Oh, you've been watching Earth TV, huh? Think this is a hentai thing? Can't wait for the the vines to fill my holes!"

The hive mind seemed confused, its voice downgrading from a god-like thunder to something resembling a bad speakerphone connection. "What is going on? Who even are you people?"

Valeria saw her chance. "Oh, you think this is some sort of sexual thing? If that's the case, could you wrap me up too? It's been so lonely since I've been here!"

The hive mind hesitated. "What...what is wrong with you? Why are you like this?"

Just then, I stepped in. "Hey, don't leave me out of this! I too have unresolved issues and an underdeveloped character arc!"

The hive mind paused, its million plant-like eyes blinking in disbelief. "I can't even. You win, humans. You win with your absurdity. I don't even want to fight you anymore. You're all just so gross."

And so, the hive mind began to recede, its vines unwrapping from Korr and Valeria. Korr landed on her feet and dusted off her shotgun. "See, I told you many can't pleasure this rock hard body."

Valeria nodded. "That was so bad it was good."

I was taken aback when a petite plant-like girl emerged from the hive mind's gaping maw, leafy tendrils connecting her to the gigantic organism. She looked disgusted. 

"What the hell is wrong with you all?" she demanded, her eyes narrowing.

She was surprisingly attractive, covered in leaves that strategically maintained her modesty. I took the opportunity to ask her the burning question on our minds. "Why did you attack the city, and why did you kill our friend?"

She sighed, her face softening a bit. "I was hiding from the man who created me. He's half machine, half human, and he's done unspeakable things to me. Those dog-like bombs? I designed them because that guy always had pictures of dogs all over his lab."

Korr snorted. "And here I thought you had a vendetta against the canine population."

Valeria chipped in, "So, your reign of terror was actually a defensive strategy?"

The plant-girl nodded. "Exactly. I had to defend myself."

I looked at Korr and Valeria. "Well, this just took a weird turn, but it sort of makes sense?"

Korr shrugged. "Yeah, life's messed up. But if this gets us one step closer to destroying that half-machine, half-human freak, I'm all for it."

Valeria smirked. "How about we form an alliance? It's clear we have a common enemy."

The plant-girl considered this. "An alliance? With you weirdos?"

Korr grinned. "We might be weird, but we're also the kind of weird that just might work."

Suddenly, the gadgets that Alex had given us began to beep ominously, as if counting down to something catastrophic. Panic surged through me as I realized the devices had embedded themselves into our skin. 

"We need to get these off!" Valeria exclaimed, trying to pry the gadget from her wrist.

Before we could make any further attempts, the plant-girl sent tendrils of vines towards us. They wrapped around our gadgets and for a brief moment, I thought she was going to successfully remove them. But then, a sudden jolt of electricity surged through the vines, racing toward her. 

Her body convulsed, and I could hear a collective, agonized scream from the snake-like creatures that surrounded us. The plant-girl fell to the ground, unconscious, and it was as if a switch had been flipped—every single plant creature in the vicinity collapsed, dormant.

Korr looked around, bewildered. "What just happened? Was that supposed to be a betrayal from Alex or something?"

Valeria examined her now-inert gadget. "I don't know, but it seems like these gadgets were more than just tracking devices. They almost acted like...kill switches."

I felt a wave of anger and betrayal. "If Alex knew about this, then that's another level of deception we didn't anticipate."

Korr picked up her shotgun. "Well, one problem at a time. First, let's figure out what to do with Sleeping Beauty over there," she gestured toward the unconscious plant-girl.

Valeria sighed, "Agreed. But once this is over, we're going to have a long talk with Alex about trust and exploding gadgets."

As we pondered our next move, I couldn't help but feel that we were sinking deeper into a complex web of alliances and betrayals, unsure of who—or what—would be the next to turn against us.

My heart pounded as Alex clapped his hands, a chilling smile on his face. "Yay! The heroes won. You've done exactly what I wanted you to do."

Korr tightened her grip on her shotgun, her eyes narrowing. "What's that supposed to mean, Alex? Why did our gadgets almost explode?"

Alex's expression changed, his facade cracking. "I had to make sure you'd complete the mission. You see, I created her." He gestured to the unconscious plant-girl. "And it's my responsibility to put her down."

Valeria gasped. "You created her? You're the one she's been running from?"

"That's correct," Alex said coldly.

Before we could react, the drones ignited their flamethrowers, and the chamber filled with the stench of burning vegetation. Every plant-like creature started to writhe and scream, and the girl herself twitched violently, as though experiencing a horrifying nightmare.

"You monster!" Korr shouted, raising her shotgun.

Alex simply chuckled. "It's a necessary evil. She's too dangerous to be left alive."

The plant-girl's eyes flicked open, filled with terror and recognition. "You," she whispered, looking straight at Alex.

"Yes, me," Alex replied, seemingly unphased. "I gave you life, and now I'm here to take it away."

I couldn't stand by any longer. "Alex, this is wrong, and you know it! She's been through enough because of you!"

He looked at me, considering, then turned off the flamethrowers. As the tension in the chamber reached its peak, Alex looked at me with cold eyes. "Sorry, I can't take that risk. She's too dangerous to be left alive."

"You're a monster!" Korr roared, lifting her shotgun and blasting a couple of the flame bots out of the air.

Just then, a massive mech emerged from the tunnel Alex had come from. It towered over all of us, its metal armor glowing an eerie red in the firelight. 

"You can join her if you'd like," Alex said, his voice chillingly calm as he controlled the mech remotely. "It doesn't matter to me."

Without a second thought, Korr charged, her shotgun raised and ready. But the mech's arm shot out, landing a devastating punch that sent her flying into the burning body of the hivemind. She screamed as she made contact with the flames. 

Alex looked around, his gaze settling on Valeria and me. "Any more heroes?"

The air in the chamber was thick with the smell of charred vegetation and the palpable sense of dread. Alex had shown his true colors, and we were now left to grapple with the horrifying realization that our ally was far more dangerous than we had thought.

The plant girl suddenly stirred from her unconscious state, her eyes glowing a fierce green. She floated off the ground, hands raised high, and then with a swift, downward motion, yelled, "Eat dirt, asshole!"

As if obeying her command, the ceiling of the chamber quivered. Then, tons of earth and rock plummeted down. Alex and his drones were caught off guard. The falling debris smashed several drones instantly and destabilized the mech, causing it to stagger.

Valeria, Korr, and I scrambled for cover, narrowly avoiding the falling earth. Korr, despite being injured from her encounter with the mech, managed to roll out of the way, coughing from the dust and smoke.

The plant girl landed gently back on the ground, visibly drained but resolute. "That should buy us some time," she said, her eyes meeting ours. "I can't hold it for long. You should go."

For a brief moment, our eyes met, and an understanding passed between us. This girl, despite her earlier destructive actions, was also a victim here.

Valeria, Korr, and I exchanged glances. It was time to leave, but our mission had just become a lot more complicated. And Alex? He was still a looming threat, his mech slowly regaining its footing amidst the rubble. But for now, we had a brief window to escape and regroup, to fight another day.

As we dashed back through the tunnels, the weight of the situation settled in. We were now not just fighting to save a city, but to combat the darker aspects of human—or inhuman—ambition. And as we ran, the plant girl's final haunting words echoed in my ears: "You should go."

The battle was far from over. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

699K 23.6K 34
THIS BOOK IS COMPLETED but it will be HEAVILY EDITED and have things added to it in the future. I wrote this book when I was much younger. I didn't e...
3.9M 74.8K 89
*THIS BOOK NEEDS TO BE HEAVILY EDITED* TAKEN SERIES: BOOK ONE TW: kidnapping, manipulation, toxic/abusive relationship, violence, death, grief, self...
22 3 5
"More has happened in the last hundred years than the preceding ten thousand. We have been outpaced by evolution. We are doomed. This I know." -Irili...
128K 5.4K 44
"He can die 'cause we haven't had sex?" I say as the weight of what she's just told me hits me like a ton of bricks. "The longer the Alpha stays in t...