It's never over // Sihtric Kj...

By _Hippo_Gurl_

Sihtric x Oc "Sihtric I yearn for you, for your hands on my skin, your fingers in my hair, your lips against... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Ten

307 7 0
By _Hippo_Gurl_

Aethelred wanted to be gone from the camp as soon as possible. He had to inform king Alfred of his daughters capture which was news no one wanted to deliver. Whilst Sihtric and Thyra tended to Tove, Uhtred and Finan had gone to the woods to collect Tove's weapons. They tried to make conversation but  neither man really knew what to say. When the men saw what Tove had done to the 3 Dane's in the clearing a silence fell over them, a glance was shared and nothing else. It wasn't exactly surprise they felt more, fear.
The blow to Toves head did more damage than she had thought, she struggled with balance and fell when she stood to quickly.
"Gisela will know what to do." Uhtred said as Tove brushed off her knees from where she had fallen
"She always does." Tove said with a smile,
"You'll ride with me I don't want you falling of your horse you're hurt enough." Sihtric said while they were walking towards their horses.
"I'm perfectly capable." Tove was embarrassed enough from the whole ordeal, she wanted it to be over and for people to stop looking at her like an old person. Stubbornly Tove attempted to mount Freja, just like standing she had moved to quickly and folded straight away sliding off her horse though managing to land on her feet. Sihtrics laughed taking Tove into his arms.
"Why can't you let me help you?" he chuckled holding her face in his hands.
"Fine but I get to hold the reigns."
"No way I'm the man you sit behind me."
"Well." she said before running and with Finans help mounting Sihtric's stallion.
"I'm here first. Come on princess." she patted behind her.
"Finan! Who's side are you on?" Sihtric threw his arms in the air.
Though Tove was sat in front Sihtric held the reigns, his arms under hers. Tove would never admit it but she enjoyed leaning into Sihtric and being held by him.

"Uhtred! Where are you going?" Father Beocca called as Uhtred and his warriors left the line for the direction of Coocham.
"I'm going home to Coocham where Alfred asked me to remain and where I left my wife." Uhtred pointed at Aethelred grinning with his comment.
"But the king, he may need you." Uhtred didn't reply. The king needed Uhtred. He always did.

Coocham was still a distance away so they set up camp. They sat round a fire as they spoke.
"If you believe her to be alive you will not abandon her. You will not as a fact what is the real reason we are travelling back home to Coocham and not to Winchester?" Finan asked looking intently at Uhtred. Since the battle Uhtred had been quiet, guilt most likely, and he was hatching a plan. It was always Uhtred who was called upon to save the day.
"There's nothing to be said in Winchester. I won't be part of a whispering court. We will go when I have something to say not before." Finan listened unimpressed with the answer.
"Sihtric," Uhtred said slightly startling him as he wasn't paying attention instead playing with Tove's hair.
"Yes lord." he said quickly.
"Take Rypere there and go to Beamfleot. That is where I reckon Siegfried's fleet lie. That is where they will be."
"Lord am I to spy?"
"You are to confirm the lady Aethelflaed is alive and how they are treating her. Send Rypere back to me in Coocham. You are to remain there and yes, you are to spy Sihtric. I am to know every part of Beamfleot. Every blade of grass that surrounds their fortress."
"Yes Lord." He said reluctantly wrapping his arms around Tove and planting a gentle kiss on her temple.

"So what's this game called?" Finan said as he under arm threw a small stone at the tower of stones they were sat infront of. It had been the first time both Tove and Finan had played this game but Clapa said he played it often. It was simple really whoever knocks the most most stones off the tower wins. So far Tove has won 2 rounds and Clapa had won 1. Finan was a sore looser and insisted they play more rounds even though when he lost he would make remarks of how it was rubbish.
"Stones." Clapa said.
"Why's it called that?" Tove grinned.
"It's Rypere." Clapa pointed out looking onto the mud path infront of them.
"He must have news for Uhtred. I'll go and tell Uhtred." Finan dropped his stones and began to stand only to be met with Clapa's massive arm pushing him to the floor.
"Uhtred!" Clapa shouted as he started running to the hall.
"Uhtred!" Finan ran after Clapa. They took it in turns trying to shout louder than each other as they ran.
Rypere had given Uhtred the news that he had hoped for. The lady Aethelflaed was alive and being treated well given the circumstances. With the news they were on their way to Winchester.

Tove felt a giddy feeling being back in Winchester. Here was the place her and Sihtric confessed their love for each other but it brought her sadness because he was not there with her. But this visit to Winchester was not so boring. Ever since they had been at Coocham after the battle, a certain Bastard had been close by. Osfeth was a quiet man, he smiled but never laughed out loud to people's jokes. He was shy, that was obvious but Osfeth had started to warm up to Tove. She felt it was the beginning of a great friendship.
Uhtred, Finan and Gisela went straight to the king. Uhtred and Aethelred were to negotiate with the brothers at Beamfleot.
They spared no time. Uhtred lead with Osferth and Tove behind him, father Purlig who had stepped in for Beocca, Finan and Clapa rode further back with Aethelred's men.
"What will happen when we reach Beamfleot?" Osferth asked breaking a long silence "Will there be a ritual, a toast, a meal?"  Tove saw her opportunity,
"There will be a heathen sacrifice, the youngest member of the visiting party will be split with an axe." She said casually looking at him "And I don't know Osferth, but that bowl cut isn't covering your baby face."
Osferth's face dropped making Tove turn away in an attempt to hide her smile.
"They will want to humiliate us." Uhtred said, the smile in his voice was obvious.
"In what way?" Aldhelm called forward from behind Tove.
"An insult, a challenge." Uhtred shrugged.
"Why?"
"Because they can." Finan answered.
Over the brow of the hill a group of Danes on horses   appeared, more men ran from the bushes drawing their swords.
"Haesten we are traveling to Beamfleot." Uhtred called up to the Dane in the middle. Tove now recognised the fat Dane as the one they had met when they saw the hoax of the dead man rising.
"For Alfred?" Haesten replied as if he already knew the answer
"For Alfred, yes."
"I am here to take you on to the fortress Lord. You and two others."
"I will travel with half my number no less." Haesten rolled his eyes before looking to the men around him.
"Agreed."
"The lady Athelefled she is well?" Aethelred asked "There will be no negotiation until I have seen her."
"She is well. My Lord Eric sees that she is... most content, Lord." he said with a smug smile.
"Ride on and we will follow." Aethelred said ignoring the comment.
"Oh you will not be needing horses." He laughed at them as they dismounted their horses. Uhtred and Aethelred decided between them who to take. It was a long walk to Beamfleot and a very silent one.

When they walked through the gates they were greeted  with a massive crowd, it felt as if all the people from the fortress had gathered to watch and they probably had. Tove scanned the crowd looking for Sihtric but she couldn't see him. She pulled her attention from looking when Siegfried began to speak.
"You will all kneel." He began. Osferth dropped to his knees being quickly pulled up to his feet by Tove. Once she caught sight of Father Purlig's expression she had to pretend to scratch her nose to avoid laughing.
"We will not, we have come here as equals. You have made us walk a great distance to meet you that is respect enough." Everyone tensed as Siegfried began to walk towards Uhtred. Tove couldn't watch what was happening, there was something shining in her eye, she tried to ignore it moving her head's position slightly but the shine moved with her. Determined to see what it was Tove looked into the crowd to see Sihtric. He had a piece of glass in his hand which is what he must have used to get her attention. Before Sihtric left for his spy mission he and Tove made up a way of communicating without giving it away. Using this Tove blinked both eyes twice that meant 'I'm okay' Sihtric did it in return. That is all they managed before Siegfried began to speak again.
"You should have joined me Uhtred."
"If you wish me to join you why have a dead man tell a prophecy? Why didn't you simply ask?"
"Well, me, you would refuse but the gods?"
"The king of Wessex sends his greetings." Uhtred changed the subject. "He hopes you have enjoyed the company of his daughter." Siegfried laughed, turning to look at his brother.
"Enjoyed her?"
"Oh, she's not his favourite. Why else would he allowed her to marry the pigs arse standing behind me." Tove sniggered with Osferth earning a dirty look from the pigs arse.
"Before any negotiations takes place 'pigs arse' wishes to be certain his wife is well."
Erik stepped forward this time.
"And if she's not well, what then? What will the pigs arse do, fart?" Siegfried chuckled proud of his brothers joke. Erik looked angry he had a certain hatred for Aethelred anyone could see it in his eyes. Tove knew why, she was swore to secrecy by Thyra but she knew Aethelred mistreated his wife. Would she have told Erik?
"Will you fight me?" Erik got close to his face craning his neck down to the short Saxon lord. "Will you fight my brother?"
"I would like that." Siegfried said, to Tove's surprise they agreed on something.
"You alone will kneel." Erik walked round Aethelred
"I will not." He replied proudly. Erik harshly yanked Aethelred to the floor shouting as he did so. The men of Beamfleot laughed, humiliating the Lord.
"I have come to negotiate, I demand respect!" He shouted still on his knees in the dirt. "If you do not wish to hear my price then I will leave happily." Just as he announced this the Lady Aethelflaed was escorted through the crowd and brought infront of her husband.
"Aethelflaed." he said inhaling deeply.
"As you can see she is well." Siegfried impatiently proclaimed.
"I would like to speak with her."
"Then do it." Siegfried shook his head scrunching up his face like Aethelred had said the most stupid thing. Aethelred walked closer to the lady brushing Erik's shoulder who looked uncomfortable about how close Aethelred was to his wife. Tove noticed it she knew something was going on between them. They spoke in hushed voices, Erik staring holes into the back of Aethelred's head.
"What is your price? It must be fair or you can keep her." He said finally turning to Siegfried.
"How can he say such a thing?" Tove whispered to Uhtred as she moved closer to him. Siegfried laughed.
"You talk of your woman like you do not care."
"She's important to me of course but she has a price beyond which I cannot go. I will not go."
"Then name it. Name this price."
"100 pounds of silver, my lands can afford no more." He said thinking it was fair. Everyone there even Aldhelm looked embarrassed on his behalf. Stunned Siegfried turned to Uhtred, pointing at Aethelred he said:
"Does this man speak for Alfred?"
"He does not."
"Weland?" He called "Where is Weland? I do not see him." Siegfried turned in a circle looking for someone. Out of the crowd stepped a giant of a man, his head bald and painted in war paint. His shoulders hunch and muscly.
"This man here, hit him." Siegfried said to Weland. Aethelred scoffed trying to act tough. Weland pulled back his arm and punched him so hard in the face Aethelred collapsed straight to the floor, he was unconscious.

The negotiations began without Aethelred as usual Uhtred took charge.
"She is a daughter not a son. Unloved and in truth, banished to Mercia to spend her life being humped by her husband. Whom you have so generously put to bed. Like her husband, Alfred's not minded to pay a great sum."
"Alfred's price is what? Say it."
"I will. Separate from the 100 pounds weight of sliver offered by her husband, Alfred will add another 200 pounds weight of silver." Siegfried scoffed with the offer.
"300 pounds in total."
"A good price. The daughter of a Frankish king was once bargained for a similar price. Pyrlig?"
"This is true Lord it is a good price."  Siegfried began to laugh,
"No, Alfred is not a Frankish king and it is not a good price."
"I say it's a good price." Uhtred held his ground.
"Like the pig's arse, you have farted." With that a Dane from behind the brothers made a noise fitting to his joke causing the men to erupt into laughter.
"Yes and it stinks," Siegfried shouted over the laughs, "by the gods does it stink! Someone open the doors!"  Uhtred was not amused.
"It is a good price." He said turing to father Purlig,
"I think it is a good price." He reassured.
"You insult me." Siegfried shouted suddenly. He shouted so loud the breath caught in Tove's throat. Everyone fell silent.
"If Alfred is minded to offer so little then I am minded to bring her into this hall and allow each man here to take his turn!" He said in a low voice. Uhtred stood, tension grew in the hall quickly.
"I swear she will be tied to a cart and she will travel the kingdoms. Is that what you want.... Saxon? Do not insult me." There was not a tinge of sarcasm or humour in his voice now.
"I am not insulting you."
"Do not."
Uhtred sat and stayed quiet while thinking of what to do next.
"The king has given me some discretion to increase the price" Siegfried chuckled. He knew Uhtred was to good of a man to let harm come to the princess.
"What a surprise." Siegfried sat back into his chair.
"So, say it."
"Lord, if I may, and to save both time and ink. Perhaps you might name a price?" Pyrlig asked politely. "An acceptable price not an impossible price."
"Say it." Uhtred followed,
"Ten thousand pounds weight of sliver and one thousand pounds weight of gold. Delivered by Alfred himself."
"Of course. And he shall arrive with a stoat on his head and an apple in his mouth. With respect Siegfried you fart longer and louder than the pigs arse and I put together. I need to take a piss. It's going to be a long day." After Uhtreds remarks he left not waiting for a reply.

Minutes grew to hours and finally a price for the princess's release was agreed. Tove and the rest of the men were tired both physically from the travel and socially from all of the back and forth rude comments and arguments. Tove longed for Sihtric to hold her, for him to stroke her hair and make her feel safe again. She hated these fortresses. For a reason unknown to her the men both Danes and Uhtreds warriors had insisted on staying awake and drinking. Tove felt so tired she was almost brought to tears but this was what she signed up to do.

The day had turned to dusk before Aethelred woke from his forced nap. He found himself with his own kind, the pigs. Naked just as they were. The men inside the hall could tell Aethelred was on his way from the roars of laughter as he attempted to cover up with a rag no longer than his calf.
"Aethelred, lord of Mercia." Siegfried laughed at the naked man. As loyal as ever, Aldhelm leapt to his masters aid wrapping his cloak round the lord to cover him.
"If your jaw is not broken joins us, eat." He taunted
"Yes I will." Aethelred agreed coldly. Tove knew it was only a matter of time before another argument occurred, rolling her eyes she left the hall walking far away from the hall and rows of lit tables outside. Was a bit of sleep and quiet to much to ask? The houses in the fortress were empty as all the habitants were drinking and shouting else where meaning it was quiet and just what Tove needed. She stopped among a row of houses deciding where to sit, between two houses or in the corner of the fortress. Tove chose the corner which was partially hidden by a wooden hut, perfect. She hoped not to be disturbed. And she wasn't, maybe Toves plan worked too well though. Whilst Tove was peacefully sleep huddled up under the cloak Sihtric had placed on her whilst he watched over her, Uhtred and Finan tried to hide their panic. Not one person knew where she had gone, ale houses were checked and so were in between houses but they didn't believe Tove would walk so far as to be in the corner.

Groaning Tove stretched her limbs out, she had slept in a peculiar up right foetal position.
"Shit." She whispered leaping to her feet. Tove didn't intend to fall asleep, she only wished to clear her mind in the quiet. On her way back to the hall she was pulled into a small ally way in between houses. A smile appeared on her lips, Tove expected to see Sihtric but she didn't. What stood in front of her was a familiar looking man, he looked familiar in the way she had seen him before, a while ago, but couldn't place where. He was an average height for a Saxon man through was quite obviously a Dane. He had ginger hair matted that smelled vile, and tattoos across his neck and left shoulder.
"I'm sorry I think you've got the wrong person." Tove said quickly and as calm as she could whilst trying to walk away. The man grabbed her shoulder harshly twisting her back to face him, Tove lost her footing slamming into the house behind her. She took a sharp breath in before straightening her face.
"I can't belive I found you." He said, this confirmed Tove's suspicions of knowing him. But the way he said it was not welcoming. It made her feel even more unsettled.
"I mean he had at least a hundred men hunting for your all this time and I found you without meaning too. I'm going to be so rich." Tove couldn't no longer hide the confusion on her face. When the man caught on he looked offended.
"What?" He asked surprised. Tove scoffed.
"You really have the wrong person I don't have a bounty on my head neither do I know you."
"You don't remember me do you? I remember you Meren. I remember you and the scars you so kindly gifted me." The air caught in Toves throat, she almost choked. She hadn't heard that name in so long.
"That's not my name." The Dane laughed at her response, like she had just said the most stupid thing ever.
"Maybe not anymore, but that's who you will be again when I had you over. He's going to be so happy, I mean-" Tove didn't allow him to finish his sentence before she drove her dagger hard and fast into his temple. He folded onto the floor in heap. Tove couldn't hold in the bile that rose to her through any longer. Spitting, she continued back to the hall attempting as hard as she could to calm down. Her only hope was that he had kept his discovery to himself.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

121 6 28
Silver Skin Series #1 Sylenia blood sings to be a knight, a warrior in her kingdom, but the lace around her throat strangles her like a dog collar an...
149K 3K 29
Please don't judge this too harshly I wrote most of this when I was 15. Based off of the Duology 'Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo'. A Kanej story. So...
3.9K 176 23
Lea, your average 17-year-old. Battling insecurities, education, drama and not to mention, zits! Now she has to battle her hormones as well. And mayb...
29K 1.8K 10
She was a dream, the calm in the storm, since being a babe, the youngest of her siblings, Young Ragnar, Uhtred and Thyra. A girl much too gentle, her...