A missing piece... The other...

By 3HaNaNa3

Salvatore Smith meets a woman with whom he shared few nights after loosing his wife. It was 12 years ago, sh... More

Characters
Chapter 1 - Fumiko Tanaka...
Chapter 2 - Make a choice...
Chapter 4 - Strangers...
Chapter 5 - Give me a chance...
Chapter 6 - She was murdered...
Chapter 7 - Time to say Goodbye...
Chapter 8 - Make your choice...
Chapter 9 - One day after another...
Chapter 10 - New School...
Chapter 11 - New friend...
Chapter 12 - Where is Suki???
Chapter 13 - Onii-san...
Chapter 14 - School bully...
Chapter 15 - Otô-san...
Chapter 16 - Normal days...
Chapter 17 - A day with you...
Chapter 18 - Paparazzi...
Chapter 19 - Takeshiro Tanaka...
Chapter 20 - Happy birthday Mom...
Chapter 21 - Unexpected visit...
Chapter 22 - Gianni's training...
Chapter 23 - Weird...
Chapter 24 - Fight at school...
Chapter 25 - Valentina...
Chapter 26 - Uncle's attack...
Chapter 27 - Feelings...
Chapter 28 - Long night...
Chapter 29 - Mr Rossi...
Chapter 30 - The package...
Chapter 31 - Back to school...
Chapter 32 - School Festival?

Chapter 3 - I am your father...

4.2K 94 10
By 3HaNaNa3

When Salvatore closed the door of Fumiko's bedroom, Dante looked at him. His second son understood that the kid chose them instead of the children center... big mistake.

Social Worker: I need to have your full contact before leaving. I will pay you a visit tomorrow at noon to check on Suki's state. If you can have the official request of our lawyer for the temporary custody, it is a plus. In parallel, I will complete her file and the commission will have the last word concerning her placement.

Salvatore: Noted, everything will be prepared for tomorrow noon. Here my business card. You can call this number, it's my personal assistant contact, he will organize a car to take you to our place.

Social Worker: If you give me your address directly, it's simple. I don't need someone to drive me.

Salvatore: Sorry, safety measures. It will have to be this way.

Social Worker: Well... see you in few hours.

The social worker left under Salvatore and Dante's annoyed gazes.

In the hospital room, Gabriel had taken a seat while Suki had stayed at the exact same spot without moving.

Gabriel: You can sit back.

Suki: Can... I really stay here... with Mom?

Gabriel: For few minutes only, I am afraid. Visitors are not allowed during the night, the doctor made an exception when he found out that you were there, but he will not let us stay here the entire night.

Suki: You can leave... I can stay here alone... no one will know...

Gabriel: (He smiled a little.) It's not going to work.

In fact, Gabriel was sure that Suki's proposition could easily work at the view of the lack of security of that hospital. She seemed so small that she could hid under the bed without anyone noticing her.

Suki: Can you take me... home? I can stay alone and come back here tomorrow with the bus.

Gabriel: It's not going to work too. Suki, how old are you?

Suki: 11... almost 12... I can take care of myself...

Gabriel: I am sure that you can, but for now, and until your mother's health gets better, we are responsible of you. I hope that you will trust us, as I said, we are only here to help.

Suki looked down at that man's words. She didn't want to talk anymore. She knew that no matter what she would say, they will not change their minds. She sat on the chair near her mother's bed and continued to hold her hand, giving her unconscious body a bit of her warm. She felt tired and naturally put her head on the bed, resting on her forearms. Gabrielstood up silently and went outside. 

Salvatore: So? How is she doing?

Gabriel: She told me that we could leave, that she can manage herself and stays here with her mother.

Dante: That's great. We can let her here and go. Problem solves!

Salvatore: Dante, stop being a stupid jerk. I'm going to call the director of that hospital and ask him to move her to the VIP room. Like that, Suki will be able to stay with her mother.

Dante: You're giving yourself a lot of trouble for that kid.

Salvatore: That kid is my daughter.

Salvatore surprised himself by saying that word aloud. Dante frowned.

Dante: A daughter that you didn't know exist one hour ago!

Salvatore: Even if you are right, it doesn't change the fact that she is my blood, just like you.

Dante: No, she is not and never will be!

Dante kicked one of the bench of the corridor and left, angry. Gabriel was ready to go after him, but his father stopped him.

Salvatore: Give him some time alone to digest everything.

Gabriel: He is 27. I didn't expect him to react like a teenage boy.

Salvatore: I know but I can understand him. You, on the other hand, seem to handle all of this pretty well. Are you not angry?

Gabriel: Would it change anything? Did that kid ask for all of this? Why should she be held responsible for what happened between you and her mother? (He sighed, to hide the fact that he was becoming emotional.) What will you do with her? Will you recognize her as your daughter and provide everything to assure her a good life?

Salvatore: Of course, I will, it's not even a question.

Gabriel: But what if her mother doesn't want you to be involved in her daughter's life? After all, she must have known that you were Suki's father and she never tried to contact you.

Salvatore: When she is going to wake up, we will have time to make it all clear. (He took out his phone.) Let me handle the room issue first. 

Gabriel sat on the closest bench of Fumiko's room and called the man in charge of investigate about her life. He needed answers quickly.

20 minutes passed before Dante showed up again. Everyone could smell that he had smoked few cigarettes, probably to calm down.

Salvatore had the confirmation that the hospital was preparing the room he asked and that they will transfer Fumiko in the coming minutes. They let Suki alone with her mother and through the window, they noticed that the little girl had felt asleep.

Gabriel: You didn't leave after all?

Dante: Iguess I am a good soldier. What...

Dante was interrupted by the doctor and two nurses running toward their direction. Gabriel stood up and looked through the door window and saw Suki standing near the bed, calling her mother.

The doctor pushed him and entered with the nurses. He followed their steps and understood that Fumiko was waking up. The monitor sound was faster, and her eyes were trying to open.

Doctor: Take her daughter out. (He ordered one of the nurse.)

Nurse: Suki, the doctor needs to check on your mother.

The nurse took Suki to the door and Gabriel nodded to inform her that he would handle the kid.

Doctor: Madam Tanaka, can you hear me? You are at the hospital; I am your doctor. If you can hear me, shake my hand.

Suki: Okasan...

Doctor: Yes, that's great, you're doing great Madam. (Fumiko had respond to the doctor's orders and even opened her eyes.) You had a surgery, but everything should be fine now. (He looked at Gabriel and Salvatore.) She was not supposed to wake up so soon with the medication, so she will probably be in a kind of trance for a couple of hours, but I think that we can transfer her to the VIP floor. Madam Tanaka seems to have a strong will to live.

Suki couldn't retain her tears, but she tried to hide them with her forearm. The two men next to her didn't know what to do. Thankfully, one of the nurse came and said reassuring words to the little girl while patting her head with affection.

The nurse went to help her colleague to prepare Fumiko's transfer, so Salvatore guided the little girl to the bench outside.

In few minutes, they were at the VIP floor, in a big and luxurious room, that could easily pass for a hotel room. Fumiko was groggy but she was constantly trying to keep her eyes on her daughter. She needed to see her, to know that she was safe.

When she was well installed and that the doctor did another control, the medical staff left. Suki immediately came near her mother and took her hand. She needed that physical contact. 

Suki: Okasan... does that hurt a lot?

Fumiko Tanaka: Suki... my Suki... Mom is sorry... (Suki shook her head.) Are... are you... alright? (She nodded, doing her best to not cry again.)

Salvatore: Fumiko... (He stood up behind Suki, Fumiko understood that he wanted an explanation.) Gabriel, can you accompany Suki outside and find something to drink for her.

Suki looked behind her to protest but Fumiko shaken her hand.

Fumiko Tanaka: Suki... (Fumiko nodded and Suki didn't say anything.) Go with... him...

Salvatore: It will be quick Suki, but your mom and I need to talk.

Suki let go of her mother's hand and followed Gabriel outside. Dante stayed in silent in the corner of the room, ready to listen his father and that woman's discussion.

Fumiko Tanaka: Salvatore...

Salvatore: Fumiko, you are still too weak to talk too much, so you can just nod to answer. Suki, is she my daughter? (Fumiko nodded slightly with tears in her eyes.) Does she know? (She shook her head.) Why did you hide this to me? Why didn't you come to me?

Fumiko Tanaka: Sorry...

Salvatore: (He sighed.) I... I will tell her... that I am her father. I will take care of her until you feel better, then, we will talk again.

In the corridor, Gabriel took Suki to the vending machine and proposed to buy her something, but she refused, stating that she didn't need anything. He bought a bottle of water by default. 

Gabriel: Suki, things are going to be a bit different for a moment. Your mother will need a long period to fully recover. It will not be easy, but if your mother knows that you are safe and well taking care of, she will be able to recover sooner.

Suki: I can help her... Mom taught me how to cook and clean. I can take care of us.

Gabriel: (He sighed.) Let's go back over there and you will understand. 

Gabriel and Suki walked back to the VIP room. They were about to enter when Dante came out, with a cold expression.

Dante: We are finally leaving; I'm heading down first.

Gabriel: Father, we are back.

Salvatore: Suki, your mother needs to rest, it's almost 4.00 am, so, we are going home, but I promise to take you back here later.

Suki looked at that man then at her mother. She didn't want to leave.

Fumiko Tanaka: Suki... Listen to Salvatore...

Suki: I don't want to leave you!

Gabriel: Father, I wait outside, so tell her.

Gabriel nodded to Fumiko who smiled to thank him. Suki was stressed. She felt a certain tension in the room.

Fumiko Tanaka: Suki... I need... to tell you something... about... (She had difficulties to talk.)

Salvatore: I am your father.

Salvatore's tone was neutral, but his eyes reflected his apprehension. Suki stepped back as a reflex. She couldn't believe what that man just said. How, in just one night, her entire world was turned upside down. She looked at her mother to have confirmation and Fumiko nodded with tears.

Fumiko Tanaka: Salvatore is your... father... I am sorry... to tell you this... now... but it's true... so, stay with him... until mommy get better. 

Salvatore: I know that you find difficult to trust me, but we can explain everything when your mom will feel better. So, please, let's go home for now, have some rest and we will be back here in few hours after that social worker checked that you are doing well. 

Suki couldn't say anything. The words seemed stuck in her throat. 

Fumiko Tanaka: My sweet girl... it's going to be okay... go... love you.

Suki: (She hugged her delicately to not hurt her.) Love you too.

Salvatore: We should go. Fumiko, don't worry about Suki, we will take good care of her. Please rest well. Suki...

Suki let go of her mother with sadness. She would have to follow a stranger who turned out to be her father. Which meant that the two tall and scary men were her half-brothers.

Salvatore opened the door and they left. Gabriel was ready to guide them to the car that was waiting in front of the hospital entry. In fact, there was three cars waiting. Dante was in one of them.

A man in black opened the back door of the car and Salvatore made a sign to Suki to get inside. He sat next to her while Gabriel went into Dante's car. The first minutes passed in an awkward silence. Salvatore didn't know how to interact with the little girl and Suki had a natural shy temper.

Salvatore: Your mom is a strong woman; she will be alright. You don't have to worry.

Suki only nodded. She was lost and tired. During the ride to the Smith's home, she almost feel asleep two times. After a moment, the car stopped in front of an imposing portal, then passed it to finally stopped in front of huge mansion. Another men in black opened the car door and offered his hand to help Suki to get off but she didn't touch him. When Salvatore got off the car, she followed his steps, and they entered his house. It was maybe the middle of the night, but as a Friday night, no one was sleeping inside. 

A light music could be heard and several men's voices too. Gabriel and Dante were walking behind Salvatore and Suki. The head of the family stood in the entry of what looked like a large living room.

Salvatore: Boys... (The three men looked at him.)

Gianni: What is this thing? (He stared at Suki with intimidating eyes.)

Salvatore: She is your sister...

Davide: I guess you drunk too much tonight, we don't have a sister!

Salvatore: Now you have one.

The three boys tensed at Salvatore's words. Davide put his beer on the table and stood up, angry.

Davide: What the fu** are you saying?! Gabriel? Dante?

Gabriel: It's late, we can talk in the morning, but what Father said is true. She is our sister, Suki. They are your brothers... where is Enzo?

Vito: Online tournament... but...

Gabriel: Let's keep the official presentations for later. Suki, come with me.

Suki had looked down during the entire time. She felt this place suffocating because of the dark glares that they were all sending to her. She was relieved to follow Gabriel upstairs and escaping this.

Gabriel: You can rest here. (He looked around.) Sorry, this room is not decorated for a kid, but you can find a toilets kit in the bathroom over there. (He pointed to a door.) I'm going to bring something so you can change yourself.

Suki: It... it is not necessary...

Gabriel: (He looked at her.) Is this your night outfit? (She nodded.) In that case, I will try to find something that you can wear when you wake up. (He looked at his watch.) Try to rest now. The quicker you fall asleep, the quicker you will be able to go see your Mom.

Suki: Thank you... Mister...

Gabriel: Gabriel.

Suki: Thank you... Mister Gabriel...

Gabriel: (He frowned, and she immediately look down.) Just Gabriel... never mind, we will talk about this later. Goodnight.  

Gabriel closed the door of the guests' room and went downstairs. Dante had served himself a drink of a strong alcohol. Gianni was doing his best to not yell at his father to have more explanation.

Gianni: You can not drop a bomb like that and expecting that we will just go to sleep like nothing happened!

Salvatore: I know that it is disturbing and new and it is the same for me. I just find out that I have a 11 years old daughter and I don't know what to do or what to say, neither to her or all of you.

Davide: 11 years old? Did you cheat on Mom?

Salvatore: No! Never!

Vito: Are you sure she is yours? Because... she doesn't really look like us... she is what... Chinese?

Salvatore: We have a DNA test that is positive, and her mother is Japanese.

Vito: I can't believe that all of this is true... how... how could you...

Gabriel: Whatis done is done. Blaming father won't change anything.

Salvatore: Let's talk later. And make sure to have someone cleaning all of this, a social worker will come at noon. (He looked at the hour.) I really need to sleep a couple of hours. Sons, after that meeting, I promise to answer all of your questions.  

Salvatore went to his bedroom, letting his sons digesting the news. Gabriel took of his jacket, loosen his tie, and observed his younger brothers, ready to make them shut up if necessary. But at his surprise, the three youngest went to their bedroom.

Dante stayed silent and served himself another drink. Even if he was a grown man, the second oldest son of the family, Dante was taking the news of a new member in the family pretty bad.

Gabriel: Dante...

Dante: Stop. I know what you want to talk about, and I don't want to. That situation is temporary and as soon as that kid is going to be back with her mother, she will disappear of our lives, just like nothing happened and we will forget all that shit!

Gabriel: You know that's not going to happen. Father will not turn a blind eye on his own daughter's existence.

Dante: He will give them money and nothing else. You really think that he will fight with that woman to take car of a kid at his age? She is just a bastard, a mistake, and I am sure that he will want to forget about it after a good night of sleep! 

Dante finished his drink in one sip and left. Gabriel stared at him with annoyance. He didn't like at all the words used by his brother. He will not tolerate that kind of adjectives to talk about someone blood related to him. He let his body fall on the couch and grabbed one of the beer can on the table. He stayed there just the time to drink it and think about how to manage all that situation in the best way.

When he headed upstairs, he stopped by the guests' room. He entered without a noise and found the bed empty. The bathroom door was half-open, she was not inside. Where was she? She couldn't have left.

Gabriel had to think like that kid. There wasn't a lot of space to hide in this room, under the bed or... in the wardrobe. He smiled. He was sure that she was inside, just like when he went to her apartment. He tried to open the wardrobe, but it seemed locked by something because it only opened a little.

He didn't force and peeped inside. The little girl was indeed hide inside, curled up. She was so tired that she didn't move when he tried to open the wardrobe. He noticed a piece of wood, probably a hanger. She was smart. But she was also scared enough to lock herself in that wardrobe. He sighed but decided to not force things for now. If she felt safer to hide in here, he would not intervene.

He closed the door and left the bedroom. Few hours of sleep was not a bad idea, he was sure to have a lot of things to deal with in the morning. He took a quick shower and laid down on his king size bed. He slept for few hours; it was enough for him. He was used to have short nights.

****************************************************

At 10.00am, Gabriel entered the kitchen to grab a coffee. He noticed that the living room was clean when he passed by. The maid in charge of keeping the house clean did a great job again this morning. Having to work after her brothers' little party was never a sinecure. The Smith also had a Chef to prepare the meals. He had the habit to prepare a standard continental breakfast, but he was ready to cook whatever they wanted on the spot. 

Chef Aldo: Sir, your coffee.

Dante: Thank you, Aldo. Can you please prepare a breakfast for a child today. (The chef was surprised by this request.) She is 11, I don't know what she likes to eat.

Chef Aldo: I am going to prepare different things.

Gabriel thanked the Chef and quickly drunk his coffee. Then, he went back to his bedroom to find clothes for Suki. A quick look in his walk-in closet was enough to understand nothing will suit her. He went to Vito's bedroom and entered after knocking.

Vito was the youngest boy of the family and the smallest too, even if he was already 1m78 and still growing. The 18 years old boy was sleeping, shirtless and it was clear that he was an adept of musculation and tattoos. He had a lion on the left of his torso and a half sleeve on his right arm.

When Gabriel opened the door to the walk-in closet, Vito opened his eyes and stared with a sleepy gaze at the intruder.

Vito: Gab... What do you want?

Gabriel: You still have your old clothes? I need something for Suki.

Vito: I have nothing for her! (He covered his head with his blanket.)

Gabriel didn't lose time to answer and picked up a black jogging set. The clothes will be too big, but he had nothing best to offer for now. He entered the room where Suki was sleeping without knocking, sure that the little girl will still be sleeping but, surprisingly, she was sat at the border of the bed, waiting patiently.

Gabriel: Suki, you are already awake? (She nodded.) Was the wardrobe comfortable to sleep? (He smirked and she looked at him, surprised that he was aware.) Take this, it's a bit too big for your but it still better than keeping your night outfit all day.

Suki: (She took the clothes.) Thank you.

Gabriel: Did you shower already? (She nodded.) Go get changed and I will take you to have breakfast.

Suki went to change in the bathroom. Gabriel waited for her then they headed to the dining room. Salvatore was there, drinking his black coffee, reading an email on his phone.

Gabriel: Father... Good morning.

Salvatore: Good morning, Gabriel, Suki. Did you sleep well? You must be tired; the night was really short.

Suki: Good morning, Mister Smith. I am fine, thank you.

Salvatore: Mister Smith? Suki, I am your father... don't...

Enzo: You are what? (He just entered the dinning room.) What did you just say?

Salvatore: Suki, take a seat. Enzo, you should sit too. 

Suki sat at the right of Gabriel and looked at the empty plate in front of her as if it was the most interesting thing on earth. Enzo sat at the left of his father, in front of Gabriel. 

Enzo: So? What's going on with that kid? Did you adopt her? (His tone was emotionless.) Or is she Gabriel illegitimate child? 

Gabriel glared at his brother. Enzo way of thinking was an enigma for the eldest brother.  

Salvatore: Suki, this is Enzo, one of your brother. Enzo, this is Suki... she is your little sister, your half-sister. (He made a pause to see his son's reaction.) I am her biological father. Suki's mother had an accident last night, so Suki is with us today.

Enzo: Okay... (He looked at Suki.) Eh, look at me! (Suki slowly looked up and he stared at her few seconds.) Hum... I see... you look like Gab... it's weird... but interesting too...

Enzo had said what he wanted to say, and now focused his attention on the food displayed on the table. He was maybe a geek, but he also liked to exercise and take care of his body, even more because he was a foody.

Salvatore: Enzo, everything is fine for you?

Enzo: About what? Her? I don't really care. She's not my kid.

Gabriel: Alright, Suki, what do you want to eat? Our Chef prepared different things that can suit a child palate.

Suki: A glass of juice is enough, thank you Mister Gabriel.

Gabriel: Suki, stop calling us Mister. Even if you think of us as strangers, we are your family. So please, talk to me freely and call me Gabriel at least.

Salvatore: Gabriel is right. I would appreciate if you call me Dad...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.6K 1K 20
Isabella Rose Ivy Valencia-Moretti, the only girl born in Italian Mafia family after so many generations. Not only she is the princess of Italian Maf...
520K 10.3K 105
violet jones grew up around people that she feared. one day she got thrown a massive curve ball, her whole life blowing up just within just two days...
358K 8.7K 43
🌚Please do not copy my work, write your own books and leave my book alone. 🌚 Everything about her screamed innocence but what she went through in h...
Macrina By Maya F

General Fiction

80.5K 2.9K 65
"Honestly, I think you're really gonna like New York." "New York? Like New York City, New York?" "The one and only," my cousin grinned, taking a swig...