The Wilted Rose

By Zach42799

Y/N Rose was the son of Qrow Branwen and Summer Rose, and the oldest child of the Rose family. Due to Qrows'... More

Character Bio
Prologue: Beyond Repair
Chapter 1: One tiny problem
Chapter 2: Forehand or Backhand?
Chapter 3: Not without a fight
Chapter 4: Revival
Chapter 5: Initiation
# FUCKIN 3!!!
Chapter 6: Lonesome Road
Roy Winchester/Arsenal Bio
Chapter 7: Indebted
Chapter 8: Welcome to Mantle
Chapter 9: Uncovered
Chapter 10: The Rescue
Chapter 11: Outlaws At Last
Chapter 12: Tremors
Chapter 13: Trust
Chapter 14: Sticks And Stones
1K! Thank You Guys
Chapter 15: The Foundry
Chapter 16: Premonitions
Chapter 17: Death
Chapter 18: Rebirth
Chapter 19: Too Far Gone (Vol.0 Finale)
Chapter 20: Train Ride (Vol. 1 Prologue)
Chapter 21: Sisters
Chapter 22: The Lucky Ones
Chapter 23: Ghost
Chapter 24: Quiet Night
Chapter 25: Protector
Chapter 26: Calm...
Chapter 27: ...Before The Storm
Chapter 28: Lifeline
Chapter 29: Who I Am (Vol. 1 Finale)
Chapter 30: Costly Mistakes (Vol. 1.5 Prologue)
Chapter 31: Critical Care
5K reads!!!
Chapter 32: Testing
Chapter 33: Your Greatest Failure
Chapter 34: Guess Who's Back
Chapter 35: Progress
Chapter 36: Fix Me
Chapter 37: A Silver Bullet
Chapter 38: Should've Known Better
Chapter 39: The Road To Hell Is Paved In Good Intentions....
Chapter 40: Closeness
Chapter 41: Back In School
Next Red Hood Outfit Vote/Closed
Chapter 42: The Much Needed Talk
Chapter 43: The Company We Keep
Chapter 44: Prophecies (Vol. 1.5 finale)
Chapter 45: The Bookstore (Vol. 2 Prologue)
Chapter 46: You Atlesian Joker
Thank you Wattapad....
Chapter 47: Keep It Simple
Chapter 48: What's the plan?
Chapter 49: Fatherly Love
Chapter 50: Something I Cant Let Go Of
Chapter 51: I Hate When I'm Right....
Chapter 52: Takedown
Chapter 53: Goodnight Princess
Chapter 54: Too Much To Lose....
Chapter 55: Between Wants And Needs
Chapter 56: Concept Of Subtilty
Chapter 57: End Of The Line
Chapter 58: Nothing I Wont Do
Chapter 59: You Have Achieved Nothing
Chapter 60: Three Simple Words (Vol. 2 Finale)
Bonus Chapter: Your Scars Are Beautiful *Lemon*
Chapter 61: Demon (Vol. 3 Prologue)
Chapter 62: Round One
Chapter 63: I've Got Nothing For You
Chapter 64: Round Two
Chapter 66: The Vault
Chapter 67: Breaking Point
Important Notice/updated
Chapter 68: Firing Squad
Chapter 69: Nightmare
Chapter 70: Better Tomorrow
Important Notice Pt. 2
Chapter 71: The Easy Part
Chapter 72: Do Or Die
Chapter 73: Failure
Chapter 74: Two Options
Chapter 75: Bad Joke
Chapter 76: House Of Cards
Chapter 77: Bid Farewell
Chapter 78: Everything That Came Before
Chapter 79: Recovery
Chapter 80: Someone's Got To Stay (Book 1 Finale)
Book 2 is out now!

Chapter 65: We're Talking Aren't We?

288 11 2
By Zach42799

Beacon

9:28 AM

33 Hours to the Fall

Weiss Pov

The buzzer rang out across the colosseum. All of us were shocked when we saw the leaderboard. Y/n lost.... His Aura having shattered. Under the circumstances of the tournament, it wasn't too big of a deal, but something felt off. The medical team all rushed into the arena. Mercury and Emerald emerged with Mercury dragging Y/n out by is ankle. I paled when I saw just how badly he was hurt. He was trailing blood from where he must have been shot and even from here, it was obvious that his nose was just destroyed. 

Ruby brought her hands to her mouth, in shock that Y/n had been beaten so badly. None of us ever thinking that we would see him like this. Mercury gracelessly dropped Y/ns leg and walked away. I started to see why Y/n disliked him so much. The arrogant smile on his face, as if he was parading Y/n unconscious body for everyone to see. 

Yang started to grip the seat so hard that the hand rest started to crack. Everyone else just looked completely stunned at what they were seeing. The medical team all rushed to get Y/n on the gurney and get him out of there. All of us unanimously decided that we were going to see him. None of us knew what happened in there but we were going to find out. 

Qrow Pov

I clenched my hand around my glass so hard, it shattered. The pain in my hand only amplifying the fury I was feeling watching this. The little prick was sending a message. I let go of the shards of glass in my hand and stood up, putting some Lein on the counter with my good hand. Walking out of the door, I turned the corner and made sure I was alone. Satisfied that I was, I transformed and started making my way to Beacon. 

All I could think about was how bad it was going to be. I couldn't really see on the T.V but I expected it to be bad. I flew as fast as I could, never once slowing down. Despite how drunk I was earlier, I was completely sober now and out for blood. If I had my way, I would go straight after the three of them, but I had to tread carefully. 

Without any evidence against them, marching up to them and holding a weapon on them was a good way for me to lose my job and end up in prison. Until Ozpin says the word, I was stuck. Unlike James, I actually listened to Ozpin. The man has several centuries worth of experience, you'd have to be a utter fool to completely disregard what he says. 

Getting to Beacon was a quick affair. Going straight to the infirmary and landing on the roof made it even quicker. It was easy enough to get down without being seen and just walking through the front door. It was just as easy getting a room number. 

Y/n Pov

10:34 AM

32 Hours to the Fall

I came to with my face hurting particularly bad. Getting kicked in the mouth with a mechanical leg was painful enough, but with it being designed for combat made it worse. I groggily reached up to my face and found the my nose had several bandages over it. The broken nose would certainly explain why it hurts so much. 

???: How are you feeling?

I looked over and saw Ozpin. That makes things exponentially easier.

Y/n: I feel like I've been kicked in the face.... Oh.... Wait....

Ozpin: Well your sense of humor is intact, at least. 

Y/n: Oz. That wasn't a tournament fight.

Ozpin: The display that they put on while you were unconscious was proof of that as well as what they did to Team CFVYs contenders after everything you've told us. 

I grimaced, not even wanting to know what exactly they did. If it was anything like what they did to me, then I feel for them. I cant believe that I let myself get complacent like that, and now it was costing me. I was going to get the answers out of them the first chance I get. Ozpin saw through me before I even had a chance to finish the thought. 

Ozpin: I know you want retribution after what they did to you but we mustn't throw caution to the wind. 

I tried to let the Lazarus energy out to heal my wounds. When all I managed was a puff of smoke and only a slight improvement from before, I remembered what exactly happened. 

Y/n: They injected me with something Oz. I can't use the Lazarus energy....

Ozpin: So that's why you haven't used it.... But it doesn't seem to be completely gone. Perhaps it's only a temporary effect.

Y/n: Temporary or not, they wanted me out of the way of something, we need to find out what. 

Ozpin: They have progressed to the next round of the tournament and have shown no signs of leaving. More than likely, it's going to be something regarding the colosseum itself. 

Y/n: Maybe. I'll get the answers out of them.

Ozpin: No. While the conduct was unsportsmanlike-

Y/n: Unsportsmanlike!? Oz, they jabbed me with a fucking needle and have something in the works and you want to sit back and keep going the course!?

Ozpin: No, but as of this moment, we have nothing actionable. 

Y/n: My whole schtick is acting on the things that Huntsmen wont. I-

Ozpin: Absolutely not. If you act, it will be seen as aggression and I won't be able to help you. Besides, we don't want there to be a panic here at the school. 

Y/n: Goddamnit Ozpin! I-

Before I could continue, Weiss entered the room. I wasn't surprised that she would come visit, but Ozpin and I will have to put this on hold, provided I don't do something stupid. Jurys still out on that though. Ozpin and I shared one last look, both of us not backing down. Ozpin stood up from his seat and walked to the door. 

Ozpin: Thank you for your account of what happened. I'll be sure that proper measures are taken. 

That was code that he was going to keep a eye on the situation. Ozpin excused himself and Weiss came in and sat next to the bed. I didn't want her to see me like this. It was bad enough that I fucked up the way I did. I thought that TRQS was overconfident, I just tried the same tactic twice in a row and refused to adapt when it didn't work the first time. I brought this on myself. 

I should have taken a more aggressive stance against them. If I had just stood and fought instead of trying to lure them in, I wouldn't be in here. We fought several times now. They knew what my plays were going to be, and they watched my previous fight, I'm sure. They knew just how to get me on the back foot and win because I got overconfident and complacent. It sure as hell wasn't going to happen again. 

I tried to get up but Weiss pushed me back down on the bed. 

Weiss: What do you think your doing?

Y/n: Getting up. I'm not sitting around in the infirmary all day. 

Weiss: Well guess what your doing. At least rest for a little longer.

Y/n: I've got something I need to do.

Weiss: What you need to do is make sure your ok before you do anything.

I was about to respond and it was probably a good thing that I didn't get the chance. I was getting pissed. Not at Weiss but at being in this position. The door opened and in came Qrow. Qrow and I locked eyes and I started pulling myself out of the bed despite Weiss trying to keep me there. 

Qrow: That's not a good idea, Y/n.

Y/n: Well in the absence of any good ones, I guess I'm going with this one. Like I told her, I got things to do. 

Weiss: But-

Y/n: No buts, and with him here, I'm sure as hell not staying. 

Qrow: ....I get that you don't like me after not being around, and I'm sorry-

Y/n: Sorry makes up for the ten years, doesn't it? You want to be a father? Go make sure Yang and Ruby are ok. I doubt they took this too well and they need you a hell of a lot more than I do.

I shoved past Qrow, not bothering to look back. I once again felt a sting in my heart but I quickly buried that. He burned the bridge, now he has to deal with it. Weiss followed me quietly. I was calming down now that I was out of that room. I walked to the locker room in the medical wing, where students and Huntsmen have their equipment stored when their brought in and started loading up before ripping the bandage off of my nose. 

I looked in a mirror and saw that it was pretty fucked up. A deep bruise formed over the bridge of my nose and a noticeable gash over it. The pellet wounds from when Mercury shot Emerald and I were aching. I had somehow forgot how horrible it was to be shot and have to suffer the consequences of it afterwards. I moved away from the mirror and to the door, making sure that my pistol and knife were hidden since that was all I grabbed. 

Weiss: Are you sure your ok?

Y/n: I'm fine. Just need to walk this off. 

Weiss: ...Shouldn't you talk to your father?

Y/n: I did. He knows I'm alive and that I want nothing to do with him. What more needs to be said?

Weiss: He came to check on you. He's clearly worried about you and he was trying to say he was sorry.

Y/n: Words are pretty but their useless. He wants to say how sorry he is when he needs to start showing it. Then and only then will I even consider talking to him outside of telling him to get away from me. Like I said back in Patch, I doubt there's anything that can fix things with me and him, but that would be a good start.

Weiss: That goes both ways Y/n.

Weiss and I made eye contact. She may have conceded with me getting out of bed, but she wasn't going to back off with this. Her relationship with her father is worse than mine. Hers sees her as a tool and mine wants a second chance. Whether I'm willing to give one or not is a different matter entirely, but it's a complete difference in situations. I can see why Weiss wants to see me and him reconcile, especially since hers is content to keep things the way they are. 

I sighed and looked away. It was pretty much admitting that she was right, which she was. Weiss walked closer to me and cupped my face in her hands, making me look at her. After so long of being with Weiss, we started to be able to read each other. She smiled and carefully hugged me, trying not to hurt me. I rested my chin on her head and hugged her back. 

Y/n: *Sigh* ....Alright.... I'll at least listen to him....

Weiss: That's all I ask.

She held me a little tighter before her scroll started to ring. We broke the hug reluctantly. Checking it, it turns out it was a text from Winter, wanting to talk. She wanted me there too if I was up for it. I hated that it was broadcast across Remnant. Everyone knows that those two got one over on me. I needed to finish talking to Ozpin about what happened as well, but the chances of me getting to see Winter again for a while was slim, given her role in the military. As much as I hated to do it, I wasn't going to go. I wanted answers and I was going to get them from the source. 

Y/n: Sorry Weiss, but like I said, I got something that needs to get done. 

Weiss: ....Alright.... Just be careful so you don't end up back in the infirmary. 

Y/n: I will.

It was a lie. I was going to do something profoundly stupid and I didn't have any safety nets. One slip up will put me in hot water or worse. I walked out of the locker room, leaving Weiss alone. The only thing I could focus on was finding the opportunity to get at either Mercury or Emerald. Hopefully sometime soon....

Timeskip

3rd Person Pov

6:44 PM

24 Hours to the Fall

Ozpin sat in his office, overlooking Beacon. The previous developments and the feeling of dread hanging over him like a dark cloud. Y/n was weakened and understandably furious. What he was particularly worried about was the boy doing something reckless. Things were getting progressively worse. 

Whatever they had planned was coming sooner rather than later, but without knowing what it was, all they could do was tighten security even further. As for Y/n, it was time. He needed something that would make up for his lack of magic. Telling him the truth of what the book was is a necessity now. Especially should the worse happen. Ozpin didn't know for certain, but he believed that Y/n was the key to ending his war, just as his predecessors were. 

What Y/n got wrong was that it wasn't that it was him specifically, but his previous selves, much like Ozpin. This wasn't the first time events like these have played out. The only constant was that the one in question wore a Red Hood but had little to no recollection of events prior. Even the revivals were at different times, places and situations, making it hard to track down who it was. 

Generation after generation of the Warrior coming and going, all of them baring one thing in common, the Red Hood. The curse was partially Ozpins fault, having made the mistake of asking for help from the Brother Gods. When the original Warrior presented himself, it was everything Ozpin had hoped for, but when the God of darkness cursed him, it all fell apart. 

The Brother Gods were as cruel as they were kind. One tempering the other, but both of them always competing for dominance. Thus the Warrior was cursed to suffer and comeback anew until Salem fell as was the condition of the curse. There was however one saving grace. The blades that they all inherited. The same blades that were hidden beneath the school with the maiden. 

The elevator doors opened behind Ozpin. He didn't need to turn around to know it was Qrow. He had seen him coming as well as summoned everyone else to his office. Ozpin had a feeling that the first question would be in regard for either Autumns condition or about Y/n. 

Qrow: You know Ironwoods making you look like a fool, right?

Ozpin: His heart is in the right place. He's just misguided.

Qrow: Sometimes I wonder if the tin man even has a heart.... So.... Y/ns your guardian?

Ozpin: One of them, yes. As for who will inherit the powers of the maiden, maidens choose themselves. I simply believe that I have found the right candidate. Ever since the day I met her, I had a feeling that she would be the one. Strong, intelligent, caring, but most of all.... Ready.  

Y/n Pov

Ten Minutes Prior

I stayed in the dormitory, looking at the room Cinders group was using. I had been exceedingly patient but that patience has worn thin. I wanted my answers and I was going to fucking get them. I pulled out my knife and pistol, knowing that this was a rather drastic measure, even by my standards. I had the foresight to grab a suppressor but I also knew that I needed this done quickly. If I was caught doing this, they would play victim and there wouldn't be any defense I could come up with. 

Before I could knock, I got a message from Ozpin wanting to see me. He had real shitty timing. I had half a mind to ignore him but he made it sound important. Maybe I could get actual clearance to do this without risking everything I have here. I was willing should it come to it, but I would rather avoid it if at all possible. 

I walked away from the door, putting my pistol and knife away. Those three were lucky, I was out for their blood and I was going to get it one way or another. As I walked I ran into Pyrrha just as she was just walking out of the door when I caught sight of her. I ran to catch up. I wanted to know how their fight went since I didn't watch the tournament today on account of my little stake out. 

Y/n: Pyrrha!

Pyrrha: Hello, Y/n! How are you feeling. 

Y/n: I'm good now. Still a little sore but nothing that wont heal. 

Pyrrha: Are you sure? Your nose looks pretty bad....

Y/n: I got kicked in the face, of course its a little screwed up. Anyway, what's up?

Pyrrha: I'm on my way to Ozpins office. He said that he had something important to speak to me about. 

Y/n: ...He said the same to me...

That was a red flag. If he had something to discuss with me, then it can only be about what happened earlier or something regarding the inner circle. Why would Pyrrha there as well. I was getting a bad feeling about all of this. It must have shown because Pyrrha looked at me curiously. 

Pyrrha: What's wrong?

Y/n: Nothing... It's just weird that he would call both of us to his office...

Pyrrha: I wonder what it is?

We walked together to the administration building and entered the elevator. The more I thought about it, the more I didn't like it. He couldn't be thinking about bringing Pyrrha into all of this, could he. Nothing he's done indicated that he would, so why now? The elevator opened up and the first thing I noticed was that the room was empty besides Ozpin and Qrow. Qrow and I made eye contact but I promptly looked away. 

Him being here was already a bad sign. We stepped out of the elevator. I opted to hang back and let Pyrrha go first. Maybe I was wrong and Ozpin was just going to speak about something else before dismissing her and moving on to me. That was what I was hoping at least.

Qrow: How are you feeling Y/n.

Y/n: Fine....

Qrow: ....You were right about Yang and Ruby. They weren't doing so well after they saw you. Yang even wanted to back out of the tournament. 

Y/n: ....Did she?

Qrow: No. Her and the Schnee girl fought a pair from Atlas. 

Y/n: The Schnee girl has a name....

Qrow: Yeah, Weiss. Nice girl.... just like her sister....

Y/n: ...,.You know, she actually went to bat for you.

Qrow looked at me, completely neutral, like he was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Lucky for him, that wasn't going to happen this time. What Weiss said had stuck with me even though I didn't want them too. If things could be fixed, then it's only going to happen if we both put in the effort. Qrow has been trying, and all I've done is shut him down. Like she said, this works both ways. 

Y/n: She said that I should try talking to you. 

Qrow: ....And....

Y/n: We're talking aren't we?

Qrow looked a little surprised when I said that. It quickly turned to a soft smile as he chuckled a bit. 

Qrow: Guess I should thank her then.

Y/n: You should. What's all this about?

I gestured to Ozpin and Pyrrha. I was wondering if my suspicion was correct. I really hoped that it wasn't. She could handle herself perfectly fine but magic is a whole other world entirely. If he was, then I was going to do everything in my power to keep her out of it. It would ultimately be her choice but this wasn't something to be taken lightly. 

Qrow: I'm not entirely sure myself. I was called here by Oz and I came. 

Y/n: Same for me, but he's always sparse on details unless it's a task that needs doing. 

Qrow: Speaking of.... The whole Red Hood thing....

Y/n: If your about to make me suffer through another moral debate, I'm going to kindly ask that you stop.

Qrow: It's not that.... You've done a lot of good for the people. Huntsmen like to hide that sometimes they don't kill, but sometimes it's the only way. A necessary evil as Ozpin calls it. 

Y/n: He's right. Though, Raven called it culling the weak.

Qrow: ....She would.

We fell into a awkward silence. Neither one of us really knew what else to say. The two of us weren't about to start talking about the weather and I didn't watch the tournament no more than he did. As for business, that was a rabbit hole that was best left for later. 

It wasn't until I thought of Yang and Ruby that I remembered that they had listened to my request about keeping quiet to Qrow. I didn't think about the consequences when I asked them to but now that it's come to pass, I was a little concerned. I doubt that Qrow will hold it against them anyway, but it would be better for me to explain it anyway. 

Y/n: Ruby and Yang hid me from you. Your not upset about that?

Qrow: They told me that you had asked them not to. Said that they didn't want to hide it but also didn't want to do something to make you leave. I can't fault them for that....

Y/n: They wanted to tell you so badly that Ruby was losing her mind for a while there. 

Qrow: I'm sure. Girl cant keep a secret to save her life. 

I chuckled a little at that. Now with that out of the way. We really didn't have anything to talk about. The whole time, I was keeping a ear out on Ozpin and Pyrrhas conversation. I didn't want to be getting into Pyrrhas business but at the same time, I wanted to know what this was about. The whole conversion was him applauding her for being selected for the singles round. 

It was all mundane stuff that made me question why he had called us here. Hell, why was he talking about it at all? This isn't in character for Ozpin. Everything he does, he does with a purpose. The big question loomed. Why? I wasn't the only one confused. Pyrrha was facing away from me and sitting, but her body language said it all. She was politely participating in the conversation but the underlying question lingered. 

Ozpin: -Though it comes as no surprise that they have chosen you to move on to the final round of the tournament. Your performance has been exemplary. 

Pyrrha: Thank you Professor Ozpin. I'd never have made it this far without my team. 

Qrow: Personally, I think it's the other way around. 

Pyrrha turned around, looking more confused than upset at the comment. This really was a strange situation from her perspective. I shook my head at Qrows comment. They all were doing well, even if they had that little bump during the first round. One mistake could mean death, just like if my fight with Mercury and Emerald was real, I would be dead. Or at least, if their objective was to kill me, then I would have been. Either way, mistakes in real combat have dire consequences, but this isn't real. 

Pyrrha: I'm sorry but I don't think we've been introduced....

I sat there for a second just taking in that this might be the first time I've heard any genuine hostility from Pyrrha. 

Qrow: Names Qrow.

Ozpin: Qrow is a trusted colleague of mine. 

Pyrrha: Professor.... If you don't mind me asking, why have you called me here. 

Y/n: I would like to know why you called me as well. 

Ozpin: Please. Take a seat, both of you. 

Pyrrha sat back down but I remained standing with a raised eyebrow. His next sentence would confirm my fears regarding why we were called here. Just like with me, with no prompt or any sign that he was going to ask the question that got me and him working together....

Ozpin: What is your favorite fairy tale?

7:00 PM 

23 Hours to the Fall

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

314 17 6
Y/n loves his family. So much so that he is willing to be put in the line of the huntsman's eyes for them. But when the time comes he will have to ma...
41.1K 517 26
[DISCONTINUED] So this is going to be my first MaleReader abused and neglected story. I will be using an oc for this just to let you know. But anyway...
28.7K 626 16
{RWBY x Abused/Neglected/Betrayed Male Reader x Assassin's Creed: Valhalla} [BETA Series] Before the Raven Clan of Fornburg in Norway, enter the isla...
56 8 4
[This is NOT an Abused and Neglected Male reader story, this is a story about the main character getting stuck in this stereotype as Ruby.] We all kn...